Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: "Going Home" (Permission by PM only)
on: October 26, 2005 04:31
As the three men circled around Arthiel, one of them grabbed her, pulling her close to him and bending his head to kiss her. She struggled against his hold on her .. and Rhyanna stood frozen in place. 'What am I going to do?' she asked herself. Her hand reached for the dagger as she tried to dredge up a courage she did not feel. She was about to take a step forward when suddenly, a man pulled the gross thug's arm from Arthiel and got between the two of them, tucking Arthiel behind him.

"Aeldrid! Oh, I'm so glad to see you," Rhyanna called out, her frightened voice barely above a whisper.

If he even heard her, he focussed on the men in front of him. "Sirs." he said, his voice taut as a whip. "I would warn you that I am the protection of this lady and if you overstep any boudns, you will have to go through me first."

The men slowly backed away from the fire in Aeldrid's eyes. He turned his face a little. "My lady, take Rhyanna back to the inn and collect our things. We will as soon as possible."

Rhyanna walked up to Arthiel's side and tugged on her arm. "Let's go, Arthiel, please." But no sooner had the words left her mouth than the village gates flew open, and Tulcendor, holding his hands over his eyes to protect them as much as possible while those blinded eyes searched the street before him, came crashing though, calling out Rhyanna's name.

Forgetting Aeldrid, Arthiel and the hulking men, she let go of Arthiel's arm and raced across the road, screaming out Tulcendor's name. When she reached him, she threw herself into his arms, crying out, "I knew you'd come. I knew you'd come for me when I prayed for you to come. Oh, Tulcendor, I'm sorry....your eyes, your eyes must hurt so. You shouldn't have come. Aeldrid is here and he saved Arthiel. He was so brave. But I'm so glad you're here." She held him with her small arms tight around his neck. She was making no sense, babbling away her fear, unaware of the people who had gathered and were looking strangely at the scarred elf being held by the small Rohannion child.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 05:51
"Master Tulcendor, you must stay here, in the shack." Mîrion began quickly. He didn't know if Tulcendor would listen to him, who was so obviously worried for Rhyanna's safety. But Tulcendor running and searching the village for Rhyanna, would that be a wise decision? "I will go to the village and search out for Rhyanna, Aeldrid and my wife. I would not stop your going if you truly wish to see Rhyanna's safety for you own eyes, though...and what of you Lady Telerea?" He asked, looking in her direction.

Only pausing for a moment, Tulcendor shook his head. "I will find Rhyanna!" he cried, "Telerea is not in danger here - Rhyanna is - as is your wife!"

Quite certain that Mîrion would be hot on his heels, the orc-elf took off again at full speed towards the village gates. His eyes burned unmercifully, and although he tried shading them, Tulcendor was near-blinded by the glare. Yells from the guards he heard as he burst through, but, with being half-panicked over Rhyanna's welfare, he paid no attention at all.

"Rhyanna!?" he cried, and half-stumbled on something beneath his feet that Tulcendor couldn't see. His heart was pounding... everything was so 'unfamiliar'...

"Rhyanna!!" he called again, and then suddenly, Tulcendor heard her voice calling him, and immedately he turned towards it.

When she reached him, she threw herself into his arms, crying out, "I knew you'd come. I knew you'd come for me when I prayed for you to come. Oh, Tulcendor, I'm sorry....your eyes, your eyes must hurt so. You shouldn't have come. Aeldrid is here and he saved Arthiel. He was so brave. But I'm so glad you're here." She held him with her small arms tight around his neck. She was making no sense, babbling away her fear, unaware of the people who had gathered and were looking strangely at the scarred elf being held by the small Rohannion child.

Wrapping his arms around her tightly, Tulcendor knelt, weeping with relief and the pain the day's brightness was causing to his just as tightly-shut eyes. "How could I not come?" he answered softly, "Not when you needed me! - I'd never let anything 'bad' happen to you! Not ever! And... what are my eyes if you're in trouble, Rhyanna? We're friends - aren't we? Do you really think I care about them right now?" and picked his little friend up to carry her back to her brother. He walked slowly, unseeing of the stares they were receiving, and going mostly by the sounds of Aeldrid's, Arthiel's, and (to no surprise), Mîrion's voices.

With the arrival of quite a few 'rescuers', and (Tulcendor was *quite* sure) the horrible 'appearance' of his face and strange-colored eyes, the three men quickly backed off even further than they already had. Although the threat to the elleth now seemed to be ended, Tulcendor did not want to release his hold on Rhyanna. With her still in his arms, the orc-elf tried to focus on her brother.

"F-forgive me, Aeldrid," he stammered, "I should have realized you would handle whatever was wrong... but I couldn't - I didn't 'see' you coming... I didn't know if you had been hurt, too... and - and, all I knew - was that Rhyanna and Arthiel needed help... and I couldn't stay there..."

Abruptly, and reddening, Tulcendor became aware that the whispers around him were growing louder... and also knew something else: Rhyanna's feet were cut, and bleeding from running barefoot through the streets. - And, again, care for his small friend overrode everything else. With a 'hint' of the inner strength that had kept his elven-side 'alive' coming forth, Tulcendor 'took charge'.

"Aeldrid... Rhyanna's feet need tending... but - I don't think - I... they won't let me into your Inn without you... but Telerea's still in the shack."

Turning to Arthiel, who was standing with her husband, "Hiril... your medicines are there - aren't they? Mîrion - will you fetch them?" he inquired of the ellon, "Them and Telerea and the horses - and meet us at the Inn?"

[Edited on 27/10/2005 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 07:25
"I will go to the village and search out Rhyanna, Aeldrid and my wife. I would not stop your going if you truly wish to see Rhyanna's safety for you own eyes, though...and what of you Lady Telerea?" He asked, looking in her direction.

Only pausing for a moment, Tulcendor shook his head. "I will find Rhyanna!" he cried, "Telerea is not in danger here - Rhyanna is - as is your wife!"

Feeling both their eyes upon her, she just said "Go - I'll be fine." And returned to the shack. Moments like this she hated - being left behind, although she knew it was the right thing to do.

Rhyanna is - as is your wife she pondered that thought for a while. She had sensed something like this happening between them, but she had not believed Tulcendor would let his feelings be known so openly until Rhyanna had reached the proper age.

Telerea was very tired, so she lay down and huddled herself into her cloak. She did not fully sleep, but rested in the way common to elves, her senses still alert. She woke to loud voices, being seemingly at the door.

"Told you there was someone in here trespassing. Now take her into town for the appropriate punishment." Telerea could not believe what she heard. Immediately she was sitting up and looking in the direction of the voices. "Good sirs, I meant no harm - I was just resting from a long journey and would have moved on without doing any damage in just an hour or two..."

"Bah," one of the voices said "every tramp says that - but I am no cherity ward!" Telerea felt herself dragged off the floor by rough hands and forced to walk along. She was glad Tulcendor had not been here - that would have caused even more trouble. The horses - suddenly shot into her head. She hoped they would be clever enough to run away a little ways.

Then she heard the voice again. "It is a two gold piece fine - or a day and a night in jail for trespassing - you can have your pick... unless of course," the man came closer. She could smell the foul breath. "Unless," he continued, " You do me a small favor..." Guessing what he was hinting at she spit out into the face "Never," she hissed under her breath - hoping they would encounter Aeldrid or Miron in town and this situation could be solved without her having to stay in jail until tomorrow evening....

(ooc: hope I did not take too many liberties - just figured it would be rather boring to just wait at the shack and now Aeldrid can be Telerea's hero... if he wants - but if this post is too much - I have no problem with editing)
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 08:00
(lol, oh sure. Aeldrid is always willing to be the hero. ^^ 'specially for Telerea, lol)

Aeldrid nodded. He was no longer sleepy anyway. He glanced at his sister's feet and sighed, then tugged on her braid. "We will take Tulcendor back to the inn with us while the lord and lady go to retrieve their things and Telerea; I do not think Lady Arthiel will wish to remain in this village longer. We might as well try to find shade for your eyes, Tulcendor."

He allowed the half-orc to carry his sister, although Aeldrid would have rather had the little girl in his arms. To be honest, he was surprised by how close the two had gotten and was beginning to dread the inevitable seperation. Rhyanna would have to go back to her family eventually; Aeldrid was not sure but he would think that Tulcendor's healing would most likely take years.

But he could think on that later. Once at the inn, Aeldrid told Tulcendro to take Rhyanna up to their room. He caught the innkeeper, who provided him with parchment and ink. The young man wrote a concise note, explaining all that had passed and the course of action taht was being taken. He apologized to his father for not being there to help with the farmwork - which was why he had taken a leave of absence in the first place.

He asked the woman where he could get a messenger and she directed him to merchant who did trade down that way. Aeldrid left, after making sure that some food could be sent up to his sister and Tulcendor. The young man found the merchant and paid him to deliver the message. He walked back, only to accidently interupt the inkeeper in some of her gossip.

"I apologize for interuptting-"

"No interupttion." she smiled again in that too friendly way. "Just Jak found some stragler in his shed; a pretty thing but blind I believe. Is that what you said Rosemary?"

The other woman, a farmer's wife or some such, nodded, her thin face sour. "You would think Jak would have had a bit of pity for her but the man's heart is as cold as stone."

Shed, pretty, blind...Aeldrid had an uncomfortable feeling. "Could you tell me where this Jak is?"

The women told him. Aeldrid turned and walked out, nearly running into Mirion and Arthiel. "I take it you know Telerea is missing." he stated. "I have it in hand; if you wish to go up with Tulcendor and Rhyanna, then please do so. I should be back shortly."

His words were a little curt but by this time, Aeldrid was extremely ill-tempered. Lack of sleep and the events of the day so far had him fed up with this village. Their first look at "civilisation" and he had slept as much as when they were in the wild.

He entered the town's main square, where a small building meant for theives and such was. A dirty man, chewing on a straw was leaning up against the wall, but he straightened quickly as Aeldrid stalked over, blue eyes almost a blaze.

"You have a woman here; I want her out, now." he ordered.

"Pardon my lord, but we have a certain-"

"Now!" Aeldrid's voice was commanding and the man jumped then scuttled inwards. A minute later he appeared with Telerea, who was a little scuffed up but undamaged. His face softened and he took the woman's arm.

"Telerea?" he asked quietly.

"Pardon, sir, but it's a two gold piece fine for-"

Aeldrid dug into his purse and threw it at the man. He took Telerea's arm again, gently and began to lead her away, before he realized she might have been offended by his doing so - he knew she was indepedent. Aeldrid's cheeks flushed again and he almost dropped her limb.

"Are you alright, my lady?" he asked. "You have not been hurt?"

(I hope no one minds the liberties I have taken. Aeldrid will get that way when upset; just kind of take charge regardless.)

Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 09:00
The rough man dragged Telerea all the way to town and trew her into a room. Soon she had touched her way around and was familiar with the looks of her small confinement. There was nowhere to sit down, except on the cold stone floor, but Telerea was too tired to remain standing. This situation reminded her of a similar one several years ago when she had gone to sleep in her little camp and woke up in a far away place, locked away in a cell full of strangers. With a shudder she remembered the treatment she had received there.
Luckily she was in no danger here. They just looked her up and left her alone. She was certain that the other’s would come and get her as soon as they found out she was missing – but that could take a while… maybe she would have to spend the night here after all.

Taking a deep breath Telerea tried not to panic. Being locked up and feeling helpless were two things she dreaded very much. She began to hum softly, as to avoid thinking too much of her present situation. Then, she could hear a familiar voice from outside the building.
"You have a woman here; I want her out, now." he ordered.
Her heart leaped with joy when realized it was Aeldrid, come to rescue her.
"Pardon my lord, but we have a certain-"
"Now!" Aeldrid's voice was commanding and the man jumped then scuttled inwards. Telerea heard the door being unlocked and she was dragged off the floor, not too gently. Then they were outside. She felt the rough man release her arm and Aeldrid touch it gently.
"Telerea?" he asked quietly.
"Pardon, sir, but it's a two gold piece fine for-"
Aeldrid dug into his purse and threw it at the man. He took Telerea's arm again, gently and began to lead her away. Telerea clung to Aeldrid, hoping, he would not let her go.
"Are you alright, my lady?" he asked. "You have not been hurt?" “No, no – she answered weakly. I was just very afraid…” at first impulse she wanted to tell him more, but checked herself in time. This was not the right time and not the right place. Instead she managed to smile at him and simply said “Thank you.”
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 01:10
Everything had happened swiftly for her mind to absorb. Arthiel had managed to free herself of the man's grip on her, and then she felt another hand on her arm. Her first impulse assumed that it was another one of those men. It was Aeldrid, instead and inwardly she sighed in relief. He tucked her behind her and told her to take Rhyanna back to the inn.

Arthiel was more than willing to comply, but in a quick instant the village gates were practically trampled by the entrance of Tulcendor...and Mîrion.

Mîrion spotted Arthiel immediately. She wore a stricken, weary look upon her face. And he noticed three burly, sleazy looking-men. He all but guessed what had occurred and it made his blood boil, his teeth grind. The urge to unsheathe his sword madly and slash at those men was almost unrestrained. But his anger resolved once he had Arthiel held tightly in his arms. He gently stroked her hair, and whispered, "Meleth nín, im naerhe..." hadn't known what else to say at the moment, overcome by emotion. Aeldrid had saved Arthiel, and perhaps even her life. He deeply indebted to Rhyanna's brother.

"Mîrion, the fault is mine...it was a foolish mistake...I, I left my room to go into the dining room, or whatever you would call it, and those men were leering at me with such raw lust. Three of them followed me out here...and..." She knew that he had already pieced together the puzzle, "May we just go to the Inn?"

"Aeldrid... Rhyanna's feet need tending... but - I don't think - I... they won't let me into your Inn without you... but Telerea's still in the shack."

Turning to Arthiel, who was standing with her husband, "Hiril... your medicines are there - aren't they? Mîrion - will you fetch them?" he inquired of the ellon, "Them and Telerea and the horses - and meet us at the Inn?"

Mîrion nodded and took Arthiel's hand, and said gently "Let's go." She followed him eagerly as he led her out of the village and guided her to the shack. It was abrupt and rather meek, but she asked him..."Mîrion...would you have slain those men?"

He sighed, and for a long moment didn't say anything, then simply said, "Yes." Arthiel asked no more after this, too distraught of the day's events to speak.

They arrived at the shack, and to their utter surprise Telerea was amiss. Their horses were still there...had Telerea simply wandered off for awhile? No...it wasn't likely. "She's missing Arthiel." His eyes flickered frantically, searching for clues that perhaps she hadn't disappeared. "We must quickly get the horses and head back to the village."

~~~~

Ten minutes had passed, the two elves were back at the inn. They overheard two voices speaking, and as they turned a corner Aeldrid almost ran into them. He was upset. "I take it you know Telerea is missing." he stated. "I have it in hand; if you wish to go up with Tulcendor and Rhyanna, then please do so. I should be back shortly."

"Aeldrid, wait for a second. I wanted to express my gratitude ... for saving me. My husband and I are both in your debt. If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know."

After watching him leave, Arthiel and Mîrion headed up to Rhyanna's room. In her hand, she carried a small pouch full of her medicines and herbs. They had yet to inform the two of Telerea's disappearance and to take care of Rhyanna's bleeding feet.

-------
Im naerhe - I'm sorry
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 03:51
Aeldrid nodded. He was no longer sleepy anyway. He glanced at his sister's feet and sighed, then tugged on her braid. "We will take Tulcendor back to the inn with us while the lord and lady go to retrieve their things and Telerea; I do not think Lady Arthiel will wish to remain in this village longer. We might as well try to find shade for your eyes, Tulcendor."

Solemnly, Tulcendor nodded, grateful for Aeldrid's comment and followed him back to the Inn. But, he had to move carefully along the street, lest he stumble and drop his best friend in the world. The glare and the brightness had settled into his eyes and head with an ache that was near-blinding in itself.

But then, Rhyanna came to his 'rescue' - at least, as well as she could, by holding her small hands above Tulcendor's eyes as a 'shield' against what glare she could block. - Accompanied - as always, by some of her chatter.

Inside the Inn, Tulcendor was uncomfortable, and quite relieved to have some relief from the Sun... and even more so when Aeldrid directed him to take Rhyanna up to their room.

Once there, he settled her into a comfortable chair, and went about closing the shutters to darken the room as best he could. And then, and despite his aching head and eyes, Tulcendor fetched a basin of water and whatever cloths he could find.

"I'm not Hiril Arthiel," he told his little friend, "nor do I know much about Healing... but I do know your feet need to be washed to get the dirt out of those cuts. I hope she get's here soon, Rhyanna," Tulcendor added, and winced when the girl 'flinched' just a bit. "I'm sorry!" he said softly, hating that it hurt just a bit. "I know it stings... but, if we don't take care of your feet... I mean... you don't want your feet to look like my face, do you?"

He was half-teasing, and yet not, for all too well Tulcendor knew the pain of wounds... and how they worsened without any treatment at all.

By the time the Healer and Mîrion came up, he had just about finished, and then moved aside to let Arthiel take over.

"Where is Telerea?" he asked, and shook his head when she offered him something for his head. "Rhyanna first!" Tulcendor said firmly, and kneeling by his friend's chair, held her hand whilst Arthiel got to work.

And, as she did, Mîrion recounted that Telerea had been missing from the shack - but that Aeldrid was taking care of it. At that, Tulcendor shuddered in remorse... for he'd been wrong. The blind elleth had not been 'safe' there at all! "Forgive me, Mîrion!" the orc-elf whispered, and held on to Rhyanna's hand a bit more tightly... knowing he'd need to apologize to Telerea, too... and wondering just how he could.

Yet, to the ellon, he could - and stammering, "You were right... I should have stayed... but I couldn't! I couldn't not come when Rhyanna was scared! I couldn't!" and despite what light there was in the room, Tulcendor's eyes were wide, and he kept switching his gaze from Rhyanna, to Mîrion, and back again in confusion...

[Edited on 28/10/2005 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 07:05
Clinging to Tulcendor's neck, she was aware that her brother was still standing in the street with Arthiel and that Mîrion had joined them. She was looking for Telerea when Tulcendor spoke to Aeldrid. "Aeldrid... Rhyanna's feet need tending... but - I don't think - I... they won't let me into your Inn without you... but Telerea's still in the shack." That relieved her mind about Telerea but she became instantly aware of how sore her feet were. She realized they were full of cuts from the gravel and rocks that made up the village streets and were bleeding badly. Tulcendor spoke again, this time to Arthiel, his voice almost commanding.

"Hiril... your medicines are there - aren't they? Mîrion - will you fetch them?" he inquired of the ellon, "Them and Telerea and the horses - and meet us at the Inn?"

Aeldrid had picked up one of her feet, turning it this way and that. Tugging on her braid, he said, "We will take Tulcendor back to the inn with us while the lord and lady go to retrieve their things and Telerea; I do not think Lady Arthiel will wish to remain in this village longer. We might as well try to find shade for your eyes, Tulcendor."

As Aeldrid turned to lead the way back to the inn, Rhyanna called to Arthiel. "I'm glad my brother got here in time to save you. I don't know if I could have used my dagger against a real person. But I would have tried, ma'am, if Aeldrid hadn't gotten here.

Tulcendor carried Rhyanna to the room at the inn behind Aeldrid, who led the way. She felt a jolt as Tulcendor tripped over something unseen through his blinded eyes and her heart went out to him. He had exposed himself to such torture because he knew she needed him, had somehow heard her whispered prayer. Her small hands lifted, forming a shield over his eyes to block as much light as she could. When they finally made it back to the room, Tulcendor placed her in a comfortable chair and then went about the room, closing the shutters. When he finished shading the room, he found a basin of water and a cloth and began to clean her small feet. She winced now and then as he washed the dirt and small pebbles from her feet, but somehow she felt she needed to be brave in front of him, as brave as he had been to leave the shelter he so needed to come for her, so she made no sound and shed not a tear. Only her face crumpling a bit showed her pain.

"I'm sorry!" he said softly, hating that it hurt just a bit. "I know it stings... but, if we don't take care of your feet... I mean... you don't want your feet to look like my face, do you?" Rhyanna knew he was trying to tease her to lighten her pain but it seemed to hurt her more, not in her feet but somewhere deep in her chest. She reached out and ran her small hand down his scarred and ruined cheek, staring into his golden eyes.

"I like your face, Tulcendor. I like your face very much." she said, the softness of her young heart behind her words. Tulcendor and Rhyanna spoke no more until the healer and her husband returned, Arthiel with her pouch of herbs and other useful items. He asked about Telerea as she offered him something, which he brushed aside, "Rhyanna first!"

Arthiel administered to Rhyanna's feet while she explained what had happened to the elf maiden and assured them that Aeldrid had the situation under control. Telerea would join them soon, she implied. Tulcendor, who had been holding Rhyanna's hand while the healer worked on her feet, shuddered. "Forgive me, Mîrion! You were right... I should have stayed... but I couldn't! I couldn't not come when Rhyanna was scared! I couldn't!" and despite what light there was in the room, Tulcendor's eyes were wide, and he kept switching his gaze from Rhyanna, to Mîrion, and back again in confusion...

Rhyanna squeezed his hand, gazing into those eyes. "How did you know to come, Tulcendor? I called for you but you couldn't possibly have heard me." She was feeling very tired and as her eyes closed, she murmured, "But I'm really glad you did. Thank you." And she drifted off to sleep.

[Edited on 28/10/2005 by berethedhellen]
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 07:42
When Telerea smiled at him, Aeldrid felt as if his heart had doubled it's pace. He smiled back awkwardly, thankful she couldn't see how idiotically nervous he was.

He did notice however, how tight her grip was. He did not entirely blame her. Blushing furiously as he did so, he took the liberty of putting an arm around her back to continue guiding her.

"We are headed to an inn; You can lie down for a bit and I'll arrange for food. I was going to have us leave immediately for some brutes tried to attack Lady Arthiel, but I think we could all use some rest. If we stay in our rooms, we should be fine." First not enough words, now too many!

But he wished to see her smile again. "I...I am sure..." his voice faded off and to his chagrin, he realized he had nothing more to say. He felt such an inept fool!

They entered the inn and he walked her upstairs, then entered the room.

Rhyanna was asleep while Arthiel and Mirion were with Tulcendor. The healer immediately came to Telerea to see if she was alright, while Aeldrid turned to Mirion and Tulcendor.

"She was being held prisoner; most likely for trespassing. I paid her fine and all is well. I think it would be a good idea for us to pass the rest of the day in our rooms and then set off tonight. We could all use the rest." He turned to Mirion. "If you think that is a good idea, m'lord."

The words Mirion had said to him before almost had him completely mystified. The idea that a noble - an elven noble at that! - would be indebted to him...He had merely done his duty.

But now, it was making him nearly as awkward as he was with Telerea.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 08:13
Rhyanna squeezed his hand, gazing into those eyes. "How did you know to come, Tulcendor? I called for you but you couldn't possibly have heard me." She was feeling very tired and as her eyes closed, she murmured, "But I'm really glad you did. Thank you." And she drifted off to sleep.

For a long moment, Tulcendor stared down at Rhyanna. Slowly extracating his hand so as not to waken her, he fetched a blanket and carefully settled it over his little friend.

After wordlessly accepting whatever it was that the Healer gave him to help the ache in his head, Tulcendor headed for the darkest corner of the room. Yet, despite it was still too 'bright' for comfort, he couldn't not watch her. How could he 'explain' it to Rhyanna... when he didn't know, himself? Would she accept it had been only a dream? - Or was it 'really' a 'dream'?

And, what of those 'flashes' of Rhyanna as a young woman? He didn't understand those, either... and again, when she'd looked at him, it was the adult Rhyanna who's voice he heard, and now echoed in his mind: "I like your face, Tulcendor. I like your face very much." she said

Shortly thereafter, Aeldrid and Telerea came in, and at which, Tulcendor felt relieved - and anxious. The healer immediately came to Telerea to see if she was alright, while Aeldrid turned to Mirion and Tulcendor.

"She was being held prisoner; most likely for trespassing. I paid her fine and all is well. I think it would be a good idea for us to pass the rest of the day in our rooms and then set off tonight. We could all use the rest." He turned to Mirion. "If you think that is a good idea, m'lord."

"What?" Tulcendor gasped, horrified when he heard what had befallen the blind elleth. After Mîrion had answered his small friend's brother, he got up from his corner. And, flushing, the orc-elf faced her - and hanging his head, shook it sadly... and yet, he was still so torn. How could he have not 'chosen' to help Rhyanna? "Forgive me, Telerea..."
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 07:46
Telerea just smiled at Aeldrid, hoping he would realize how important it was for her that he was there. Of course she realized that she had not been in any serious danger, but the feelings of that imprisonment long ago had come back at her with full force. All the fear, the cold, the despair. She had not been able to help it. She shook slightly from the memory and her grip tightened on Aeldrid's arm.

When they reached the inn Arthiel had a look at Telerea, but she assured the healer, that she was all right and just needed to lay down and sleep awhile.
Then she sense Tulcendor approaching her. "Forgive me, Telerea..." he said. She smiled at him and reached out to touch his arm. "You could not have known... and it was very important for you and Rhyanna to go to her immediately. She is very lucky to have you...But forgive me, I am tired and need to rest..."

Searching with her hands she found a bed and lay down. She soon drifted into an uneasy sleep. Soon she was tossing and turning; she had begun to sweat and then she woke with a start and a scream. Telerea sat upright in bed, for a moment not comprehending where she was. Her breath was fast and she could feel her heart pounding...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 09:39
(( Hope y'all don't mind... I just couldn't resist posting once more before I take off for the weekend... :angel: ))

As bad as he felt already, Tulcendor felt even worse when Telerea not only didn't 'fault' him... but expressed her weariness. Without looking at anyone, he scuttled back to his corner whilst the elleth found her own place to rest.

The medicine Arthiel had given him only dulled the ache in his eyes and head... and Tulcendor knew that only several hours in the full darkness of night would end it. Vaguely, he was aware the blind elleth was tossing on the bed... and that Aeldrid, Mîrion, and Arthiel were quiet in their own spots.

Yet, it was uneasily the orc-elf dozed. And, each time those oddly-golden eyes opened, they sought for only one place: the chair where Rhyanna was still deep in slumber. So sweet, and kind his little friend was... but it was now not in 'flashes', but 'steady' in Tulcendor's 'mind's eye' were the two Rhyannas he saw. The child who was now... and the young woman she would become. 'Why', he still did not know, but it was happening too often for him to ignore. - And... he knew that 'acceptance' and 'understanding' were two different things, entirely as well. So... 'accepting' the Vision for what it was, Tulcendor 'looked' at Rhyanna-the-Adult.

She would not lose her 'childlike' qualities... Tulcendor 'knew' it. - Yet, they would grow, and mature into someone who would - one day - make any young farmer proud to call Rhyanna his own. And, the orc-elf found that thought depressing beyond all measure. But, that was how it 'should' be - wasn't it? Rhyanna was Human... and to a Human she would - on that 'one day' be Wed. Wouldn't she?

A small 'something'... a mere 'whisper' of another Future 'nudged' at the back of Tulcendor's mind. Without realizing it though, that same mind quickly - and ruthlessly 'squashed' it before it truly became known. Such musings as he would 'allow', however, were interrupted.
she had begun to sweat and then she woke with a start and a scream. Telerea sat upright in bed, for a moment not comprehending where she was. Her breath was fast and she could feel her heart pounding...

The blind elleth's cry had startled them all... and even Rhyanna's deep sleep had been disturbed. And, yet again, despite that it had not been his small friend who had called out, in moments Tulcendor was by her chair, letting Aeldrid and the others see to Telerea.

"'Tis all right, Rhyanna!" the orc-elf smiled, and held Rhyanna's hand tightly. "Night has not yet come..."

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 06:33
The change of hours, sleeping during the day instead of the night as was usual for her, the long hours of walking and riding and the excitement of the events that had taken place, and finally Rhyanna's exhaustion caught up with her. The last thing she remembered was the softness of the chair, the easing of the pain in her feet.....and Tulcendor's golden eyes meeting hers. She drifted into the first sound sleep she had had in days.

Her dreams engaged her for the next few hours. She saw herself as old as Aeldrid was now. She saw Aeldrid and Telerea...and their children....three small blond, blue eyed imps of mischief. She dreamed that as their aunt, she was teaching them to ride horses and to play ball. Then she turned at the touch of a hand on her shoulder, and looked into the eyes of the man she herself would soon wed, one with traces of scars on his cheeks whose strangely colored blue eyes filled with gold specks smiled down at her with love and devotion.

A scream crept into her dream and she opened her eyes, startled, only to hear the voice of the man in her dreams. "'Tis all right, Rhyanna!" the orc-elf smiled, and held Rhyanna's hand tightly. "Night has not yet come..."

Rhyanna sat up and looked across the room at Telerea, then back at Tulcendor. "What is it, Tulcendor? Is she alright?" She watched as Aeldrid responded at once, reaching for Telerea's hand and speaking softly to her. She watched as Arthiel and Mîrion gathered at her other side. She turned back to Tulcendor, a worried furrow between her brown eyes. Then she met the now-totally golden eyes again, and was reassured that all would be well. While the others cared for Telerea, Rhyanna looked at the man of her dreams, still scarred and with none of the shining blue in his eyes, but still carrying the devotion from her dream. She smiled at him, a hint of youthful mischief in her eyes.

"Tulcendor, did you know that when I grow up, I'm going to marry you.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 07:13
Arthiel bent down to her knees and began working on Rhyanna's little feet. Tulcendor had already washed away the dirt and blood with clean water, which would make things alot easier for her. She rummaged through her pouch, and found what she was looking for, a small leaf of a herb. As she crushed the leaf and applied it to the cuts of Rhyanna's foot, Mîrion informed them about Telerea's disappearance.

"Forgive me, Mîrion! You were right... I should have stayed... but I couldn't! I couldn't not come when Rhyanna was scared! I couldn't!"

"Aeldrid has gone to take care of the situation, and I'm sure he'll be able to get her out of any trouble. You musn't blame yourself, it's this bloody town that's at fault." Mîrion replied, and cast Arthiel a sad look in his eyes as she turned from applying a medicinal lotion to Rhyanna's feet. He still felt at fault for what happened to her, even though she had said it wasn't.

"I'm all done with your feet Rhyanna. They should heal quickly if you keep walking to a minimum over the next few days. And Tulcendor," Arthiel stood up and extended her palm towards him, "This medicine should dull the headache and pain of day." He took it without saying much.

Rhyanna was asleep when Aeldrid return with Telerea. Immediately Arthiel rushed over to the elf maiden to see that she sustained no cuts or bruises. Telerea insisted that she was fine and all that she required was a bit of rest. Some sleep did sound quite soothing, after the turn's of the day's events, she was exhausted.

Aeldrid turned to Tulcendor and Mîrion, telling them of what happened to Telerea. "She was being held prisoner; most likely for trespassing. I paid her fine and all is well. I think it would be a good idea for us to pass the rest of the day in our rooms and then set off tonight. We could all use the rest." He turned to Mirion. "If you think that is a good idea, m'lord."

Mîrion's brow furrowed, he was growing more disgusted with this so-called village, had they no sympathy? Did they just think women were objects? He could tell Aeldrid felt the same way. "Indeed. This village has already been disrupted by our presence, we should do no more to nurture the gossip of those who live here."

Tulcendor went to speak with Telerea while Mîrion and Arthiel found their own little spot in the room to find some rest. He took a seat against the wall, and Arthiel rested her head on his lap while he stroked her hair before dozing of as well...

Arthiel stirred quickly and Mîrion's eyes flew open in shock when Telerea's scream filled the air. Along with Aeldrid, they went to see what had so disturbingly awoken Telerea in such a manner.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2005 07:52
It took Telerea a moment to fully realize, that she was not in the cave of cold stone. She could feel Aeldrid, holding her hands and she could hear his voice, soothing and calming her. She could also feel the presence of Athiel and Miron and knew she was save.

But she also knew she should explain herself to them. They would want to know... Slowly she began. "I am sorry to have startled you so - I did not think those dreams would return, but being locked up again, might have brought them back. Years ago, I was travelling along middle earth, when I was captured and found myself in a cold cave of stone. Together with other prisoners who were at a loss, like me. We discovered that we were probably up north, but we never found out why we were taken. The time in that cave was... I lack the words to discribe it. " she pause, deep in thought.

"No matter, I will sum up the events that followed. We thought of a plan, risked our lives to escape and finally managed to do so. I returned to Imladris to stay and recover - I only left some months ago, with no clear purpose - until I found Tulcendor, Rhyanna and Aeldrid."

Here she stopped. Had she started crying? Why did this adventure still cause so much grief? Maybe because someone who had become very dear to her during their imprisonment togther had died, giving her her freedom? She clung to Aeldrid, until she could think clearly again. Hoping he would not think her weak.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 05:21
Rhyanna sat up and looked across the room at Telerea, then back at Tulcendor. "What is it, Tulcendor? Is she alright?" She watched as Aeldrid responded at once, reaching for Telerea's hand and speaking softly to her.

"Telerea had a bad dream, I think," Tulcendor answered, and followed his little friend's gaze. So thoughtful Rhyanna was, and the orc-elf sighed inwardly. Telerea was weeping, and his keen hearing had picked up the blind elleth's tale. He felt for her, too... knowing well the horror of imprisonment...

She watched as Arthiel and Mîrion gathered at her other side. She turned back to Tulcendor, a worried furrow between her brown eyes. Then she met the now-totally golden eyes again, and was reassured that all would be well.

She smiled at him, a hint of youthful mischief in her eyes.

"Tulcendor, did you know that when I grow up, I'm going to marry you.

The glimmer of amusement, Tulcendor noted, but there was a 'seriousness' in her voice that couldn't be missed, either.

The previoiusly-silenced whisper slid out from the 'wall' it had been hidden behind, and came forth with a clarity of Vision that startled Tulcendor as much as Rhyanna's statement.

He did 'know' it. He 'saw' it. He and... she... the young woman she'd become, and himself standing with her. He loved her now - as the child-friend Rhyanna was... and knew he already loved the woman she'd become. And, such a smile on her face to see him... the love in her deep-brown eyes... and slowly, Tulcendor nodded.

"I know," he answered softly. "One day... when you are grown, and I am healed."

How long that might take, Tulcendor wasn't sure... nor did he care. He'd waited five hundred years for escape from his tortured life below-ground... to wait for Rhyanna to grow, was no time at all... and he'd healing to undergo to make that time go more quickly.

But, for now, "Go back to sleep, Rhyanna," he bid her in that same, soft, voice. "We've leagues to go tonight, and many nights until we reach Imladris," and gently squeezing her hand, Tulcendor smiled. "Will you - for me?" he then asked.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 07:57
Aeldrid sat in a corner, tired and weary. He managed to quiet his thoughts and doze off.

Until Telerea started screaming. Aeldrid was immediately on his feet and at her side, his hands holding hers.

"Telerea! M'lady, please, you are alright!" he strove to keep his voice level, although he was a little frightened.

Telerea initiallly calmed down, although he was surprised by the fact that she was gripping him so tightly. He blushed a little but let her and even dared to put an arm around her shouldesr as she told her story.

Aeldrid's grip and jaw tightened a little. Fire seemed to spread through him at the thought of anybody mistreating her and both his arms had come to encircle her before he realized what whas happening.

When he did, the young man wanted to jump away as quick as he could. THe impropiety of embracing a woman he had known for barely several days and a noble lady - not too mention an elf at that - was immense in his eyes.

But she had not released him and to jump away like that could only hurt her feelings. And he would have died before hurting her...his cheeks blazed.

Aeldrid leaned his cheek on her head. The two light dozes he had gotten were barely enough to drive away the rest of the exhaustion that had piled up.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2005 01:21
Aeldrid made her feel safe. For the first time, she felt that she could trust someone completely. After she had quieted down, gently freed herself of his embrace and touched his face.

"I am sorry ... I woke everyone up and sleep is so important for all of us now..." she said, while touching Aeldrid's face. "We should all go to sleep again. so that we are rested before we go on our journey again... " Slowly her hand ran down Aeldrid's face. Almost in a whisper she added "Would you mind to stay close to me?" she asked hesitantly.

When she drifted back into sleep, her sleep was sound and her dreams were pure, without any trace of unpleasant experiences. She dreamed of Aeldrid, and when she woke up she could not really remember the details, just the feeling of absolute safety and happiness.

[Edited on 1/11/2005 by Liswen]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 01, 2005 01:28
Telerea's imprisonment today had apparently spurred her terrible nightmare, one that she had lived through before. Seeing that that Aeldrid had done all the comforting needed, Arthiel and Mîrion quietly stepped back a couple paces. They were, however, distracted by the conversation going on between Tulcendor and Rhyanna.

"Tulcendor, did you know that when I grow up, I'm going to marry you." The two elves heads turned slightly at this comment and listened intently (but not appearing so) to see where the conversation would head...

Arthiel and Mîrion exchanged semi-worried glances. What would Aeldrid think of this...proposal? Surely he would object to it... but what would he do exactly? Would he keep thw two from each others presence? Though, it was clear that Rhyanna and Tulcendor shared a very sacred, special bond that could very well last a lifetime, though they had known each other for a such short while.

Arthiel looked back towards Telerea and Aeldrid. The elf maiden had already fallen asleep, with Aeldrid not far from her side. Arthiel shifted her gaze back towards her husband, "Mîrion," she said softly, but her gentle voice carried through the air, "I know they have a strong, deep friendship, but I never thought they would bring up the matter of marriage so soon..." Mîrion didn't respond; he didn't have to, and Arthiel knew the thoughts that were swirling in his dark brown eyes. In any case, his wife was more or less musing outloud. He cast a look at Aeldrid wondering if he had known just how deep the friendship of Rhyanna and Tulcendor ran...

[Edited on 1/11/2005 by Lady~Eowyn]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2005 06:55
"Of course, m'lady." Aeldrid answered, his cheeks blushing even further at her touch. He helped her lie back and then settled himself on the floor next to the bed, his back against the wall. His hand lightly gripped hers, so she would know he was closeby.

The man's blue eyes seemed to close on their own will, although his thoughts were still racing about what had just occured. Sleep claimed him and Aeldrid slept deeply with no dreams.

He was awakened by his sister, who had tackled him in an enthusiastic hug as she clamored for him to wake up. A look to the window proved it was dark and Aeldrid grinned at her.

"I am awake!" he proclaimed, glad to see that his sister was back to her cheerful self after the events of the day. He stood, somewhat awkwardly as his hand was still in Telerea's. The elven woman shifted and opened her eyes. Her face was peaceful and Aeldrid looked away, swallowing hard.

"Er...I think we are all up now." he said quietly, perhaps a little more gruffly than he intended. "I will be right back."

He gently let go of her hand and then walked over to Mirion. "I will go downstairs and see what the innkeeper will sell to me for provisions, then gather the horses. Valar willing, we can leave as soon as possible. Shall I have food sent up?"

As soon as the eleven lord gave his answer, Aeldrid gave a slight but formal nod of the head and walked down stairs. He had a kitchen maid run for the innkeeper, who came over immediately.

"Leaving so soon?" she exclaimed in something that seemed like dissapointment. "Well, it cannot be helped, seeing as how your friends were treated." The woman continued to chat aimlessly as she arranged for food and then assured Aeldrid that she had several travel breads and dried fruit and meats she could part with.

They agreed on a price; Aeldrid carefully counted the coins from his leather pouch. That done, the young man walked to the stables and told the stable master that he and his company were leaving; could thier horses be readied immediately? The large man gave a nod and Aeldrid walked back to the room.

On the stairs he paused, rubbing his face. It was getting quite rough; he would have a small beard by the time they reached Rivendell at this rate. How Rhyanna would laugh.

He entered quietly and put on his mail shirt and leather tunic over it, then strapped his sword and dagger on. He ran a hand through his tangled brown locks, but he was not so much concerned with them as he was getting out of the village with no more incidents.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 06:12
"Tulcendor, did you know that when I grow up, I'm going to marry you?" Rhyanna asked him.

"How long will it be before I 'grow up', though? A long time I think. I hope you'll wait for me when you've gotten all healed and all the elf women are flirting with you." She grinned at him, her brown eyes sparkling with humor and mischief.

"Go back to sleep, Rhyanna," he bid her in that same, soft, voice. "We've leagues to go tonight, and many nights until we reach Imladris," and gently squeezing her hand, Tulcendor smiled. "Will you - for me?" he then asked.

"Oh alright, Tulcendor," she sighed, then curled up in a ball in her big chair, pullling the blanket around her shoulders and closing her eyes she fell fast asleep.

Rhyanna had been more tired than even she realized as night had fallen when her eyes finally opened again. She gazed sleepily around the room, noting that the couple that had joined them were also awake in the far corner of the room, softly conversing with one another. Tulcendor was still at her side, but his eyes were closed and his breathing was slow and soft. She saw that Aeldrid was propped up against the wall next to the bed where Telerea was laying quietly. Rhyanna grinned to herself as she noticed their hands entwined. She pulled off the blanket, and without disturbing anyone except Arthiel and Mirion, who she winked at, she crawled from the chair, tiptoed across the room and pounced on her brother, calling out to him, "Wake up, wake up, wake up! It's time for us to go now. The sun has set and we have a long way to go so get up, brother." She hugged him and then sat back, scratching her cheek. "You're getting all fuzzy, Aeldrid," she laughed.

"I am awake!" he proclaimed. "Good, Aeldrid, because I am hungry, too," she said. She watched him stand, stretching his muscles and noticing, blushing fiercely, that he was still holding Telerea's hand.

"Er...I think we are all up now." he said quietly, perhaps a little more gruffly than he intended. "I will be right back."

Before he left, he spoke with Mirion about sending food up to the group which they could eat while he purchased supplies and got their horses ready. Not long after he left the room, a knock on the door announced the arrival of their dinner. Rhyanna ran to open the door and invited the young kitchen maid in, chattering while the maid laid out the trays and plates. Sitting next to Tulcendor, she dug into all the serving platters, picking some of everything offered. She had just finished when Aeldrid returned and began to put on his mail and tunic.

"Aeldrid, there's some left for you, though I did my best to finish it all by myself," she chuckled, rubbing her tummy. "I think I can last til morning."

The group had finished all that had been delivered to the room and had finished packing their goods by the time the evening had deepened. Noise from below told them that the dining room in the tavern area of the inn was full, and Rhyanna noticed the looks exchanged between the adults around her. It made her a bit nervous but what could happen with the three strong men at her side. As they all trooped down the stairs, the ran into a group of ruffians who had gathered to talk in the hallway. All eyes turned towards Rhyanna and her friends and brother. One of the scruffy men eyed Tulcendor very closely, nudging the man next to him, whispering and pointing. The travelers walked past them and out into the street, being followed by a sizeable number of the men, who traced their steps all the way to the stable. They hovered outside as Rhyanna was lifted onto Berethion by Tulcendor, who then climbed on behind her. As the rest of the group mounted, Aeldrid led the four horses to the stable door, glaring his most Gondorian soldier look at them. The men all stepped back and allowed the group to pass. One of them yelled out to them as they rode away...so cruel a remark that Rhyanna grabbed Tulcendor's hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Good thing you're leaving, you filthy orc, or you wouldn't see tomorrow."

They made it through the gates of the city and began their sojourn northward once again through the mild night, the waning moon still strong enough to light their way. Rhyanna twisted around to Tulcendor grinning, "When you are handsome again, you must come back here and laugh at those ugly ruffians who will never look any better than they do now....and that's pretty bad."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 07:01
Aeldrid smiled at his sister. "Thank you Rhyanna."

The young man ate quickly and they soon were on their way. Aeldrid did not like the crowd that started following them; both he and Mirion pulled back to be the last of the group - the first to fight if need be.

Nothing occured - save for one shout aimed at Tulcendor. Aeldrid's jaw tightened and his hand stayed on the hilt of his sword. Did he imagine it or did Telerea's arms tighten around his waist a bit? It must have been his imagination.

The young man did not relax until they were several miles away from the village and even then, his blue eyes stayed sharp. Rhyanna's talking seemed to override most other things and Aeldrid smiled to himself.

The smile faded as he began searching for something to say to Telerea. But what?

"Eh....you grew up in Rivendell, didn't you, m'lady?" he asked. then grimaced. The idiocy of the question made him wince.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 06:01
Once Rhyanna was well asleep, Tulcendor reached over and carefully tucked the blanket around her a bit better, and sighed.

Without glancing at either Mîrion or Arthiel, Tulcendor rested his head on the arm of his small friend's chair, and closed his eyes. It was brighter than he liked in this spot, but he didn't care. - Yet, her words flitted through the orc-elf's mind: when you've gotten all healed and all the elf women are flirting with you.

That, Tulcendor knew, was unlikely to happen. Even if his scars could be faded, he doubted any elleth would be interested in himself. - And, besides… his heart rested with Rhyanna, and the person she would become, and no one could change that. Opening the golden-colored eyes that were his own to gaze at his friend in wonder, "I will wait, little one!" he said softly, "I promise!"

With that, Tulcendor slowly fell asleep.

The next thing he knew, the orc-elf heard his little friend's voice waking her brother.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up! It's time for us to go now. The sun has set and we have a long way to go so get up, brother." She hugged him and then sat back, scratching her cheek. "You're getting all fuzzy, Aeldrid," she laughed.

"I am awake!" he proclaimed. "Good, Aeldrid, because I am hungry, too," she said. She watched him stand, stretching his muscles and noticing, blushing fiercely, that he was still holding Telerea's hand.

Tulcendor then rose, very relieved that evening was well on it's way to arriving. There was still a dull ache behind his eyes, but he hoped it would soon be gone, and he smiled at Rhyanna when she settled beside him to dive into their meal.

He, himself, ate lightly, and was eager to get back on the road again. - Yet, as the group left their rooms and made their way down to the stables, Tulcendor was tense… and nervous.

Once again there were stares, and whispers sent his way, especially. Feeling that he'd already caused enough angst for his new friends, he only hoped they'd not be bothered before they could escape this town…

The travelers walked past them and out into the street, being followed by a sizeable number of the men, who traced their steps all the way to the stable. They hovered outside as Rhyanna was lifted onto Berethion by Tulcendor, who then climbed on behind her. As the rest of the group mounted, Aeldrid led the four horses to the stable door, glaring his most Gondorian soldier look at them. The men all stepped back and allowed the group to pass. One of them yelled out to them as they rode away...so cruel a remark that Rhyanna grabbed Tulcendor's hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Good thing you're leaving, you filthy orc, or you wouldn't see tomorrow."

Oh how that comment 'stung', and Tulcendor glanced down at Rhyanna - both pain, and gratefulness in his golden-colored eyes as he returned her squeeze… though he said nothing. There wasn't, he knew, much that could be said, anyway...

They made it through the gates of the city and began their sojourn northward once again through the mild night, the waning moon still strong enough to light their way. Rhyanna twisted around to Tulcendor grinning, "When you are handsome again, you must come back here and laugh at those ugly ruffians who will never look any better than they do now....and that's pretty bad."

At that, Tulcendor tried to smile, but he shook his head sadly. "No," he answered softly, "I won't come back here… And," wincing inwardly, "it's not likely I'll ever be 'handsome' again, Rhyanna… just… 'less ugly' than I am now. - If, the Healers in Imladris will help, and Arthiel can find the books she needs in the Great Library," and glanced over at the Healer and her husband - for the road was wide enough that all four horses could walk abreast.

Trying to turn his thoughts away from the possibility that they wouldn't, and just wanting to talk to his young friend, he asked, "Tell me, Rhyanna - what do you most want to see in Imladris?" for he was quite certain that she, and Aeldrid would be as welcomed as Telerea, Mîrion and Arthiel when they arrived. "And… if they let me stay… when you get home again, will you write to me? You can tell me of your days… and if you want - and your parents will allow it - I'll write back."

And then, addressing Arthiel, "They'd let me write to her - wouldn't they? - The Healers?" he quietly begged to know - not wishing to interrupt the quiet conversation between Aeldrid and Telerea that he could hear going on...

[Edited on 5/11/2005 by gwendeth]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 05:16
Everyone but the elven couple had fallen asleep. Night was drawing closer, the shadow of day elongating into a stretch of darkness that covered the sky. Mîrion and Arthiel were off to a far corner of the room, gazing out the window. The town's streets were drawing to a slow, but the inn seemed to become busier with people. Arthiel shuddered at the thought of leaving the inn; the memories of morn still fresh in her mind. She was sure those men wouldn't be as foolish enough as to approach her again...but she still did not want to see those rogues ever again.

Mîrion quickly grabbed her hand and squeezed it, "I wish you wouldn't worry about those scum...pathetic excuses for men. I'll be right by your side to protect you." He cupped Arthiel's cheek and kissed her softly.

"I know," she whispered back quietly and somewhat meekly, "It looks as if the time to depart has almost come. D-do you think that there will be any problems leaving?"

"I should hope not," His reply sounded stern, more so than he had meant it to be. "From my impression of this village, there likely will be..." Mîrion's voice trailed, "Let's not ponder on it, shall we?"

Soon, everyone awoke from their sleep and they were preparing to leave. Aeldrid walked over to Mîrion and asked, "I will go downstairs and see what the innkeeper will sell to me for provisions, then gather the horses. Valar willing, we can leave as soon as possible. Shall I have food sent up?"

Mîrion nodded slightly and replied rather bluntly, "Yes, that would be a good idea." Aeldrid left after that, and the food was sent up quickly. The two took a few scraps of the food and ate it before it was time to leave. The air was tense as they descended down the flight of stairs; everyone's attention seemed to focused on Tulcendor. Mîrion and Aeldrid fell to the back of the group, his hand hovering over the hilt of his sword, hidden beneath his cloak.

As they left the village, nothing occurred, save for one nasty comment. "Good thing you're leaving, you filthy orc, or you wouldn't see tomorrow."

When they were many leagues away from the village the two didn't speak but they could hear the conversations that were taking place.

Tulcendor addressed Arthiel, "They'd let me write to her - wouldn't they? - The Healers?"

Arthiel stammered, "I-I, I don't see why not."
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 07:54
The early evening passed quickly with Rhyanna getting everyone up in no time. Telerea woke up, still feeling Aeldrid’s hand in hers. She blushed slightly. The last day had been embarrassing. She had behaved like a scared cat. When food was brought up to their rooms, Telerea ate sparingly. She was not very hungry.
When they finally left Telerea could sense the stares, and whispers sent Tulcendor’s way. And she could also sense Tulcendor’s concern. The travelers walked past them and out into the street, being followed by a sizeable number of the men, who traced their steps all the way to the stable. They hovered outside as Rhyanna was lifted onto Berethion by Tulcendor, who then climbed on behind her. As the rest of the group mounted, Aeldrid led the four horses to the stable door, glaring his most Gondorian soldier look at them. The men all stepped back and allowed the group to pass. One of them yelled out to them as they rode away...
After they had been on the road awhile Aeldrid asked Telerea "Eh....you grew up in Rivendell, didn't you, m'lady?" “Yes, most of my childhood was spent there…” she started telling him some of her memories, then suddenly stopped and asked “What about you? I have been talking about myself for quite a while now, yet I know little about you, except that you are Rhyanna’s brother and very kind.”
She listened while Aeldrid told her about his childhood and how he had become a Gondorian soldier. The leagues passed by and Telerea lost track of time.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 11:11
As the group rode through the night, Rhyanna was happy, as she had never gone further from home than the small village near their farm. This was her greatest adventure ever. She had never met one elf in her life, though she had heard from Aeldrid that the Queen of Gondor was an elf from Rivendell, where they were heading, and was extremely beautiful. And here she was, riding with four of them. Well, three and Tulcendor, who was really an elf but needed help getting back to being one, she supposed. Mentally, she scratched her head. It was very confusing to her. She had heard of elves, certainly, but never did she realize how really beautiful they were. She glanced at Telerea, riding with her brother, and Arthiel and Mîrion, trotting alongside each other. There was almost a glow about them and their features were so elegant and lovely. She sighed deeply, realizing that at one time, Tulcendor would have looked as they did and felt great pain in her chest for his loss.

When she heard Tulcendor's low and rather gravelly voice behind her ask, "Tell me, Rhyanna - what do you most want to see in Imladris?", she snapped back to the present and thought about how to answer him.

"I don't know, Tulcendor. I barely ever heard of Imladris before..only that the Gondorian Queen came from there. Papa once said, in one of his tales, that it was one of the most beautiful places on Earth but that doesn't tell me much. The Queen's father lives there still, though somewhere I heard, probably from Aeldrid or Papa, he was going to leave to go to...Van...Valn...someplace. I wish I could meet him before he leaves though. That way, if I ever meet the queen, I can say I know her Papa." She grinned at the thought...like she was ever going to meet the queen...right, sure she was. Her laughter rang out happily.

Not wanting to disturb Telerea, who was talking quietly with Aeldrid, she called to Arthiel, "You live in Rivendell, don't you, when you are not traveling? Is it as beautiful as my Papa says?"

That was as far as she got, when the sounds of stomping feet and harsh voices were heard tromping and crashing through the woods to their right. Whoever it was was not yet visible, but the very sound of them was loud and frightening. Rhyanna gripped the pommel of the saddle and twisted around to look up at Tulcendor.

"Who is it, Tulcendor? Who is coming?" she whispered.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 01:57
Arthiel stammered, "I-I, I don't see why not."

Relieved, Tulcendor nodded, and then listened to Rhyanna answer his other question.

"I don't know, Tulcendor. I barely ever heard of Imladris before..only that the Gondorian Queen came from there. Papa once said, in one of his tales, that it was one of the most beautiful places on Earth but that doesn't tell me much. The Queen's father lives there still, though somewhere I heard, probably from Aeldrid or Papa, he was going to leave to go to...Van...Valn...someplace. I wish I could meet him before he leaves though. That way, if I ever meet the queen, I can say I know her Papa." She grinned at the thought...like she was ever going to meet the queen...right, sure she was. Her laughter rang out happily.

Tulcendor smiled, glad his little friend was happy. - But, her stumbling over that 'someplace' awakened his memory of it's true name.

"Valinor," he told her, but as Rhyanna addressed Arthiel, he tensed incredibly when the sounds of stomping feet and harsh voices were heard tromping and crashing through the woods to their right.

They weren't speaking Elvish... or the Common Tongue... but a language Tulcendor had learned by force and it made him shiver to hear it once again.

Rhyanna gripped the pommel of the saddle and twisted around to look up at Tulcendor.

"Who is it, Tulcendor? Who is coming?" she whispered.

Gwathur's oddly-golden eyes seemed to 'glow' more orangey, and he gripped Berioreth's reins tightly. Rage and angst swept through him, and throwing a warning glance at the others, the orc-elf answered in a harsher whisper than he'd liked.

"Yrch!" Gwathur told Rhyanna, "They're orcs! - And, a lot of them!"

Abruptly, he urged Berioreth closer to Aeldrid's mount. "Rhyanna must hide!" he said flatly, "Fast!! - They'll try for her first," he went on, knowing the adults would understand his meaning… and *that *, he would not allow to happen! Not now - not ever, though it cost him his pitiful life. Turning his best friend and future love around so he could meet her eyes honestly, and with his own echoing both painful memories and care for her, Gwathur spoke again. "No matter what, Rhyanna," he said firmly, "Run as fast as you can for cover while I distract them - and whatever you do…don't watch me! Don't look at me at all, Rhyanna! - Do you understand?" he asked, for he did *not* want her to see how violent an orc-battle truly was… and most particularly, Gwathur did not want her to see him fighting as he'd been trained to these past five hundred years…

Yet, without waiting for her to answer, Gwathur was off Berioreth's back as the orcs burst through the trees with harsh snarling and growling... their red-orange eyes glowing very much like his own.

And standing tall, and proud to be protecting Rhyanna, he roared back a dare to his enemies challenge in their own language: "I, Gwathur of Imladris say this! - No orc will leave this place alive - and not ONE of my friends will be harmed!!" and paying no heed to anyone else, Gwathur raced forward into odds that were definitely *not* in his favor, to meet them head-on…
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 02:42
Mîrion swiftly turned his head. Something was not right...he could feel it, smell it in the cool night breeze. As soon as he heard the harsh cries, and rather ugly sound of feet stomping, the soil of the Earth moaning he knew that orcs were coming towards them quickly. By the sounds of it, there were many of them. Would the misfortunate events of the day never cease?

He stopped his horse, Menel, abruptly and gazed at Arthiel. She knew that there were orcs as well, and the look on her usually gentle face held her fear. No doubt that the awful, tragic memories of their son's death was brought to life in her mind.

"Yrch!" Gwathur told Rhyanna, "They're orcs! - And, a lot of them!"

"Arthiel...take Rhyanna with you and go!" Mîrion demanded quickly. There was no time now to be elaborate, no time for convincing anyone. Before he would join the battle, he watched as his wife hurriedly led Rhyanna away. When they were out of his view he shifted his eyes to the commencing fight. Tulcendor was already off Telerea's horse and racing into battle, yelling in a tongue that he could not understand. Regardless, even a fool could tell that Tulcendor was angry, very angry. His golden eyes were burning...

Mîrion leapt from his horse and once his feet were on the earthen ground beneath him, his sword, Essevalta was unsheathed in a blinding flash of an instant. And he was hasty in joining Tulcendor in his charge against the orcs. His eyes burning intensely with the adrenaline of battle.

[Edited on 8/11/2005 by Lady~Eowyn]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 08:33
She had invited his story and he told it. With much stammering and much blushing, he spoke of his childhood and how he had come to be a soldier.

To himself, it seemed as if he were babbling, but Telerea was silent and he felt that if he stopped, it would become awkward again.

Then there were shouts and noises; Aledrid's heart paused brreifly as Arthiel grabbed Rhyanna and fled with the girl. Aeldrid turned his horse towards the orcs as Tulcendor shouted something that was most definately not elvish and charged forward.

The soldier kicked Cerebil into a gallop. Fool elf!

"Telerea, if I pause, can you slip off?" he said quickly.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 01:39
Tulcendor whispered harshly in her ear, "Yrch! They're orcs! - And, a lot of them!"
He urged Berioreth closer to Aeldrid's mount. "Rhyanna must hide!" he said flatly, "Fast!! - They'll try for her first,"

Rhyanna did not understand what he meant by that last statement. "Tulcendor, what will they try?" she questioned him, her eyes wide with fear and lack of comprehension. Tulcendor picked her up and turned her around so she was facing him.

"No matter what, Rhyanna," he said firmly, "Run as fast as you can for cover while I distract them - and whatever you do…don't watch me! Don't look at me at all, Rhyanna! - Do you understand?" he asked.

"Yes, but....," was as far as she got when Tulcendor dismounted, setting her firmly on the ground as the orcs burst through the brush and onto the road. Looking up at Tulcendor, his eyes began to gleam a red-orange and his back straightened....he roared at the oncoming orcs...a language gutteral and harsh and unknown to Rhyanna. The orcs hesitated a moment in astonishment, and in that moment, Tulcendor raced directly towards the mass of them.

"Tulcendor!!!!" Rhyanna screamed, and then someone grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the battle. As they fled through the brush and the forest, Rhyanna pulled her arm from Arthiel's hand, turning to run back, but Arthiel was too quick for her and once again caught her arm and tugged at her. Rhyanna dug in her heels, refusing to move. She could still see through the trees her brother, the elf who was Arthiel's husband, even Telerea was still there. And Tulcendor, in the middle of a horde of orcs, swinging an orcish sword, one he could only have gotten by downing an orc with his bare hands. His black hair whipped around his shoulders and across his face, hiding the rage that was pulsing through his body. He fought like a wild man, now with a long dagger in his other hand, using both to tear into the orcs.
"Arthiel, no. Please, this is far enough, isn't it?" Tears were running down Rhyanna's cheeks as she watched her brother fighting along side Tulcendor. She had known her brother was taught to fight but she had never ever seen him in danger before. She didn't want to leave him. And she didn't want to leave Tulcendor. Two people who she dearly loved were fighting for their lives...and hers...and she wanted to be near them, as if just her being near would help them.

As she watched, the orcs began to fall, one by one. She listened to the sounds of the battle, the grunts, the curses, the clash of metal on metal and worst of all, the cries of pain. She couldn't make out who of her friends were wounded but she knew some of them were. She sat on the ground, ignoring Arthiel, staring through the breaks in the brush, watching, waiting. She had heard tales of battle from Papa, and had always sat in awe and wonder, thinking it quite romantic of a Gondorian soldier to slash away at enemies. But this was not romantic. This was terror at its worst. She could only hope it was over soon and that all of them survived. She crossed her fingers and squeezed them tightly, sending prayers to whoever would listen. "Please don't let Aeldrid die. Please save Tulcendor. Please don't let the elves be hurt. Please please please."
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 06:14
She listened to Aeldrid telling about his childhood and loved every minute of it. She often had to smile, but she dared not interrupt - for he sounded as if that would prevent him from speaking for a while.

Then her trained elven ears picked up a sound - a sound she did not like to hear - orcs. She heard Tulcendor's battle cry and felt Arthiel ride quickly past her.

"Telerea, if I pause, can you slip off?" Aedrid said quickly. She could sense the urgency in his voice. "Sure," she answered, holding firm to her staff. She landed kind of awkwardly on the ground, but quickly found her defending position and then she stood perfectly still, listening - as she had been taught.

The first orc was no problem. He came from the front and attacked straight on. Telerea managed to hit him directly in the face. She could hear the heavy body drop in front of her. She sighed and positioned herself again, concentrating on the fight and the sounds around her. With her ears she was searching for Aeldrid, relieved when she could hear the familiar voice shout something to Miron or Tulcendor.

Again she focused her ears on her closer surroundings, but it was too late. She had neglected to pay attention to who was in front, next to or behind her.

All happened very quickly - she felt a sharp pain across the length of her side that took her breath away. She knew that she did not have a chance this way.... with every bit of energy she could still summon she reminded herself that the only thing to do was to drop to the floor and act as if her attacker had been successful.

She could feel the damp ground beneath her, she could fell the horrible pain in her side and she could still sense the orc near. She could have screamed with pain when she was turned around - she heard the grunting noises close to her. Then she was kicked once - twice... and finally the orc left. At that moment it took all of her control not to scream. But the effort was too much for her.... The sounds faded and in the end there was nothing.

(ooc: I hope this is not too much - if yes, tell me and I'll edit. Telerea has a sword cut along her side....)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 06:52
"Tulcendor!!!!"

Gwathur heard Rhyanna's shriek, and alongside the deep ache that she was anywhere near danger, and the agonizing hope that she'd *not* disobeyed him - and that his beloved friend was not actually watching, was an increased determination that Rhyanna would not be harmed in any way.

As he'd suspected, the sight of him, and the challenge in their own tongue startled the orcs for just one brief moment. - And, Gwathur used that moment to his advantage, grabbing the first orc he came to with his bare hands. Ignoring the stab of pain from his enemies blade, the orc-elf fought as he'd been trained to - and had his foe swiftly disatched.

Wrenching the weapon away from the orc's dead fingers, Gwathur tore into the next - unmindful that he was surrounded. As he next retrieved a long dagger, the orc-elf was only barely aware that Aeldrid was next to him... or that Mîrion and Telerea had joined in the fight, too.

He did notice when Telerea fell, and snarled a curse in the Black Speech. Hoping she was only injured, that, and such wounds as he received only fueled Gwathur's ire. He fought as one wild... weapons in both hands... half-mad, as five hundred years of pent up pain and agony burst forth at the orc-elf's first chance ever to truly fight back against his tormenters...
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 09:10
Aeldrid nodded and stopped Cerebil briefly. As soon as Telerea slipped off, he started forward towards Tulcendor; he would get himself killed at this rate!

Drawing his sword, Aeldrid slid off Cerebil. His sword was far too large and heavy to use on the back of a horse. Cerebil wheeled and galloped out of danger as he had been trained while Aeldrid layed into the first orc and then the next.

Orcs, on the whole, tended to rush their enemy hoping to overwhelm the target before anything could be done. Aeldrid heard a shout that sounded like Tulcendor...once again in the cruel language too close to the orcs'.

The once meek being was fiercly fighting, despite any wounds recieved. Aledrid's rhythm faltered in surprise, only springing into action to barely block a blow from a particularly burly orc.

He was driven back and tripped over something, falling on his back. The orc sneered and raised it's club before Aeldrid stabbed his thigh and then sprang to his feet, swinging his sword through the orc's neck. It fell and Aeldrid was about to rejoin the melee, when he stepped on a staff. Looking over, he saw Telerea.

In one motion he had sheathed his sword and picked up the unconcious woman.

"Cerebil!" Aeldrid shouted over the battle, and whistled. The grey stallion galloped forward. Aeldrid grabbed the riens and mounted, Telerea over his shoulder. He wheeled the horse around and galloped from the battle.

He should have known better; he should have protected her instead of rushing off after the half-orc. He spotted Arthiel and Rhyanna, skidding to a stop.

Aeldrid carefully dismounted and laid Telerea down. He met Arthiel's eyes for a breif, shameful moment before rejoining the battle.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 01:36
As Arthiel had suspected, Rhyanna did not want to leave so easily. "Arthiel, no. Please, this is far enough, isn't it?" Tears were streaming down her cheeks and Arthiel felt compassion for the child. Reluctantly, she agreed. They group would have to find them when the fight was over, but at the same time she didn't want to stay too close...to hear the cries of battle, the painful sound of swords clashing against another.

Arthiel stood carefully by the crowd of trees, her palms gently lay on the harsh skin. She heard a cry...a terrible and she knew that it had not been an orc cry...someone had been injured. She bit her lower lip... was it Mîrion? Eru, she hoped not.

Mîrion continued swinging his sword, gracefully and elegantly. The orcs approaching him, charging at him fell immediately when he forcefully drove his sword through their bodies. They fell. Some fled into the darkness of the woods. A fine line of perspiration began to cloud on his brow...

Telerea had fallen to the ground, and her attackers left her and began charging at Mîrion. He couldn't help her...not until he at least got rid of these orcs. Swiftly, he swung his blade and the orcs fell. Quickly returning his gaze to Telerea he saw that Aeldrid had taken her to Arthiel.

Oh dear, Arthiel thought as Aeldrid emerged from the path. Telerea was with him, unconscious, wounded from the fight. Aeldrid met her eyes, but it was brief, shameful, guilty. He felt at fault for her injury. And before he left he lay the unconscious elf maiden before rejoining the battle.

The Healer was quick to fetch her herbs, some clean water, and dry garments. Before she could start cleaning the wound and making sure that no more blood escaped through the wound, she would need to remove some of Telerea's garments; to make sure that she sustained no further injuries and clean the wound. Arthiel didn't know how long the fight would endure, but...she knew it wouldn't be a good idea if the men saw her somewhat exposed, least of all Aeldrid.

"Rhyanna...we, we need to remove some of Telerea's clothes... or at least I need to see the area of skin where her wound is...to properly clean and treat it..."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 09:10
Rhyanna watched, horrified at the ugliness of real battle. How could Papa have made it sound so noble. It was not noble! It was grim and ugly. And then she saw Telerea fall. She jumped to her feet, ready to .... do what? Run into the middle of those beasts? What good would that do. She'd only get herself killed.

"Mama. Papa," she whimpered, though there was nothing her mother or father could do for her right now.

Then she saw that Aeldrid had pulled back from the scene of battle. She heard his whistle and saw Cerebil trot to his side; she watched as Aeldrid picked up the body of Telerea and throw her over his shoulder and mounted his horse. What was he doing? Where was he going? Without her, without his little sister. She sighed with relief when he came directly toward Arthiel and her, pulling Cerebil to a quick halt when he reached them.

Aeldrid carefully dismounted and laid Telerea down. He met Arthiel's eyes for a breif, shameful moment before rejoining the battle.

Rhyanna ran to Telerea's side, falling on her knees beside her. "Telerea, wake up, please wake up," she pleaded. She turned to Arthiel, whispering, "She won't wake up. And her side is bleeding so much." Arthiel said nothing for a few moments for, as Rhyanna noticed, she was digging though her supply of herbs, pouring some water from her water skin into a small bowl and laying out cloths. She finally turned to Rhyanna.

"Rhyanna...we, we need to remove some of Telerea's clothes... or at least I need to see the area of skin where her wound is...to properly clean and treat it..."

Rhyanna nodded her head and looked down at Telerea. She hesitantly unhooked her tunic and pulled it away from her, then undid the undergarment that hugged her waist, unpeeling it from the wound. Telerea's skin, where it wasn't wounded, was pale and smooth. But where the orc sword had caught her, there was an ugly gash. Rhyanna looked at it with dread in her eyes, then up at Arthiel.

"Is it very bad? Is she going to die?" Rhyanna's eyes filled with tears. She had never seen anyone die before, least of all someone she knew and liked so much. "Please, can you help her?"

She watched for a moment as Arthiel began to work on Telerea then her eyes turned back to peer through the trees. Aeldrid was once again at the side of Tulcendor and Mîrion, all of them swinging their swords and daggers at the lessening horde. Of the original dozen or more, only three remained and Aeldrid, Tulcendor and Mîrion were quickly dispatching them. She turned back to where Arthiel was working on Telerea.

"I think they are almost all gone now. The orcs, I mean. How is Telerea?"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email