Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
Post Fans between 20 and 40!
on: November 24, 2005 06:18
...because we have a thread for the youngsters and one for the oldsters, so here's one for us 'tweeners.

Me, I'm 24, first encountered the works of Tolkien when my mum read The Hobbit to me when I was about 7... it was a big influence to me, but when I tried to read LotR a few years later, I got too scared to go on when I first met the ringwraiths! I did come back to it in high school, loved the trilogy, but didn't get completely obsessed until a couple years ago, and am now an utter Tolkienatic nutcase.

One of the things I love about the fandom is how much diversity we really have, in ages and where we live and our personal backgrounds, yet there is a feeling of community among fans that is hard to find in the world... I just love it! I think I value that so much because I live far from where I grew up and all my old friends, and working keeps me from having much of a real social life, so it is really nice to have so many wonderful people here that share my interests.

So, what's everybody's thoughts on being a 20-40 yr old Tolkien fan?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Fans between 20 and 40!
on: November 26, 2005 04:26
Hello 9 digithobbit,
I'm glad that you thought of this. I am 32. I also remember liking The Hobbit as a kid, I still remember the cartoon movie clearly(maybe because I was afraid of Gollum). Unfortunately, I didn't discover LotR until Fellowship came out. My parents weren't big readers and didn't exactly encourage us either. After Fellowship, I read LotR and was hooked. Now I can't get enough of Tolkien's work. I know what you mean about valuing the community we have here on CoE. I also moved far away from my home town and all of my friends and extended family 9 years ago. I haven't met anyone that I share any interests with so it is nice to have CoE.

I hope more will come to join this discussion.
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 05:32
Oh wow yes the Rankin-Bass version? I loved that movie! I would watch it every time I was sick when I was younger (heck, I still do!) *chuckle* I could do I really good Gollum impression, back then!
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 05:28
LOL well look at this!! 'bout time I'm sure. I am so glad I'm not the only 'tweener in here. for a while I really thought I was.
Well i'm 34 and damn proud of it. The Rankin/bass version is really what got me started on my obsession. I even bought my reference books just to follow along with the story. When I found out there was more to it all I just HAD to read the books. Now I'm getting my 8 yr. old obsessed. I sit with her when we watch the movies (RL and Toon) and explain everything to her. Hopefully I'll get her into reading it sometime. My hubby doesn't understand at all, but he's aloud his Maxum magazines in the bathroom so he lets me have my tolkien (and my Beanie LOL )
IloveFrodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 05:50
I'm started to know about Tolkien at the age of 28. That's not bad. Thanks to PJ's movie adaptations of the novel, I became more interesting about Tolkien's life and last year I read the book, which is a great story, but sad because of Frodo's fate.
I think the hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry) have a special place in my mind. They're my favourite characters.:heart:
Dolwen
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 03:20
I'm glad to see there are some more of us here.
I tried to get my sons into Tolkien too. I had my 2 year old hooked for a while, he would sit through a whole movie without moving, but I lost him to Star Wars.lol. My hubby is a huge Star Wars fan.
Ninjoo
Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 03:50
Hello everyone,

I also belong to this group, though just barely! I'm 22, soon to be 23, so I have a lot of years to go in this thread

To be honest, it wasn't untill I saw the FOTR in the cinema that my LOTR-addiction was triggered. After watching the movie I read the LOTR (in Dutch. Big mistake.) and since then I'm hooked, just like the rest of us!

Well, see you around!
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 02:46
Well, I'm Jennifer and I'm 20 (am I in the right age group? There seems to be a lot of under 20 or above 20, but not 20 ). I've loved Lord of the Rings since I was 15. They're such great stories!
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 06:20
Lol don't worry, Jennifer. I'm 20 too....I believe that we stay here

I've read works of Tolkien since I was in year 4 at school (so aroundabout 10:d and have loved them! They are awesome stories!

I don't read the books now, though....not with the extended editions of the movies!

Bye for now!
Merovia
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 04:21
Hi I'm 28 and a Tolkien Fan...

Sounds like something out of a bad AA-movie-meeting

Well my first encounter with mr T was when my mum read The Hobbit to me, I think she also started on LOTR but i guess we were a bit to young to appreciate it.

Later on I read it myself but I got stuck in the middle of book two... But at some point i got going and finished it...

Then I reread it just after seeing the first trailer to FOTR the one where you only see the ring and hear its throbbing...

After that I guess I've read LOTR 4-5 times... and the hobbit plus sil as well

Well that's it...
Dolwen
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 02:39
Hello everyone,
Just thought maybe we'd all get to know each other a little. , like where we are from and our hobbies or Tolkien obsessions etc.
I live in Florida and have 3 sons. My hobbies are mostly Tolkien related these days I collect LotR stuff ( action figures, swords etc.). My husband actually got me started on collecting because he has collected Star Wars for quite a while. My family thinks it is strange, but they are getting used to my Tolkien obsession finally. I also love to read Tolkien's work. I have read LotR, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, The Sillmarillion, and up to volume 7 of the HoMe. The Sil is my favorite though.
I'm glad to see this thread growing.
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 09:15
Eep, gotta get this thread back on the first page!

And good idea, Dolwen! I'm a Chicagoan transplanted to SoCal, most of my hobbies also are Tolkien-related (fics, fanart, climbing mountains and pretending I'm in M-e, and various other things). I've read LotR, the Hobbit, Silm, skimmed a couple of the HoMe books, and skimmed the Lost Road. I really need to read those completely... ah well. I'm currently in the middle of the Silm, I think it's my third reading since I finally got the thing a year ago, and there's some great stuff in there that I like more on each read, but my favorite people in M-e are definitely the Hurinionath. :love:
Prisca
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 06:07
Hi, I'm 30 and live in Washington State. A friend of mine wanted me to read the books for years but it was the movies that got me reading them. In the past I have read books after watching the movies and I have always felt disappointed because instead of letting my imagination create the world as I read, the movie already set the scene. So I wanted to make sure that my mind had the opportunity to imagine Middle Earth they way it wanted and not how Peter Jackson saw it (even though he did a Wonderful job, but who knew that in 1999?) I read the books. So long story short (too late) I have become hooked.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the cartoon, but that is only because when I saw it as a kid it scared me and ya know sometimes things from childhood just stay with you. I much prefer reading the Hobbit then watching that cartoon.

I have read Sil and found it to be a worthwhile challenge. It will take more rereadings to fully appreciate all the information it contains. My hope for next year is to read through Sil , Hobbit, and LOTR just to get the whole picture.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 09:02
Hello Prisca,
Good to have you here. Yes the Sil is chanllenging at first. I remember the first time I read it I was rather confused, but by the second reading I was hooked. Then I wanted to read everything. Several of the books in the HoMe series go deeper into the Sil, so those might interest you too. And Happy Holidays to you too.
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 01:01
Yes the Sil is chanllenging at first. I remember the first time I read it I was rather confused, but by the second reading I was hooked.

Yeah, that sounds a lot like my experience with it... the first time I read the Silm, I kept forgetting who was related to whom, and getting places mixed up and all that... but on the second read I was better able to remember everything.

And hi Prisca! I can understand that about the cartoon stuff, I kinda feel that way about the Bakshi version, it was kinda scary when I saw it as a kid, and I still am not fond of it...
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 06:26
I've read the Sil once. confused is an understatement. I'm going to start it again as soon as I finish ROTK. I need to get HoMe I didnt realize how many books on ME there where
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 02:10
Hi every1 I'm 24. Yhea, well, most people I know in the "real world" think this stuff is nerdy but oh well. I love it.

I got into all this from the movies, and I first finished the trilogy when ROTK was in the theater. I honestly never even heard of LOTR before the movies now I'm hooked. I've read the trilogy 25-30 times, Sil about 15 times, and the Hobbit and Unfinished Tales and all too.

Believe me, I don't see this as a point of pride, I'm a little embarrassed by this, even around other Tolkien Geeks like me.

Don't worry chreotha and all, the Sil will make sense the 2nd or 3rd time. Then you'll want a movie of that. I do

Well, I really hate the movies now, I think they were way off the mark. But as far as being a fan of this business, I love it.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 02:35
*peeks in on a thread that I don't "technically" belong to SHHHHHHHHH!!*

I've read the trilogy 25-30 times. Believe me, I don't see this as a point of pride, I'm a little embarrassed by this, even around other Tolkien Geeks like me.

I used to feel like this. I was a closet Tolkien addict outside my family, several of which are fans as well. I've been reading Tolkien for decades...literally. I have lost count of how many times I've read them to this point. The holiday season is the main time now that I reread the books. It's like coming home.

My point is, don't be embarrassed--even a little. Stand up and show your Tolkien Pride! Be proud to be counted among the fortunate in RL to have found Middle Earth. :love:

*giggle. "oldster" sneaks quietly back into the mists of the Gray Havens*
Dolwen
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 05:24
Hi Drauglin, I am a book junkie too I agree with Scots, be proud. I personally don't care what people in the real world think of us Tolkien fans. It's ok for them to be all into some sports team but we are geeks for being into Tolkien.
At least we don't paint "Tolkien Rules" across our beer bellies and dance badly for the world to see.
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 08:28

At least we don't paint "Tolkien Rules" across our beer bellies and dance badly for the world to see.

Speak for yourself! ...just kidding.

But seriously, I agree with you Dolwen, and with scots... there's nothing wrong with being a Tolkienatic. There's far worse things!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 12:03
Hi, time for me to step forth as well... (hi 9digit!)
I'm 21 and from Finland.

Because some friend had recommended, I had started reading LotR before FotR came out, but I was still at Bree when I saw the movie. After that, I immediately grabbed the book and by the time TTT was in the theater, I already was totally annoying everyone telling little facts about ME and what should have been differently in the movies (how it REALLY was), etc...

So, my obsession grew fast and now I spend almost every free second I have doing something related to LotR...
I've read LotR and Hobbit once, just finished Silmarillion for the first time and started Unfinished Tales. I'm so excited I still have something 'real' to read! :love:

Well, I'm happy my fiancé will watch the movies with me as many times as I will ever want, and he reads fantasy books too, but other than reading the books and watching the movies he doesn't quite understand. The rest of the family and friends also agree to watch the movies sometimes but just shake their heads when thinking about the extent of my enthusiasm in Tolkien's world.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2005 02:22
Thanx all... I do have pride but I have to keep myself in check, so I don't bore my acquaintences with Toilkien rhetoric.

I wish there was clubs like this in RL, but alas no. I did read about that Convention supposed to happen in '06, but will it be cool?

Anyone else consider going? Do I have reason to believe it will be totally stale?
Dolwen
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 04:02
I haven't heard about the convention. Do you know where it is? I would go to something like that if it were near my city. I wanted very badly to go to the Lotr symphony, but by the time I found out about it, it was nowhere around here. I suppose CoE is the closest we will ever get to having a club, I am glad we have it.
There is a daily lotr trivia game online that might interest you.
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=41691
I play everyday, it is addicting to a book lover. Hope you will come check it out.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 07:44
i dont know if I'd go to any convention. I'm still a little shy about my addiction. LOL my family doesnt really understand it so im kind of on my own. I guess if I knew more ppl who loved it as much as I do it would be different but I see one fruitcake in a half made legolas costume and Ill die laughing.Sorry but conventions just aint my cup of tea
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 11:32
Thanx Dolwen & every1 else, I'm not really embarrassed, just looking for a vent for my nerdiness

http://councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3661&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
That's a link to the news post on the convention, and in that post there's a link to the official website. It's called the Gathering of the Fellowship. I believe it's going to be in Canada, I think.

I love these kind of events, I go to Horror Conventions all the time. They're like Star Trek Cons, but for Horror/B/Artsy Film fans.

:evil:And that's not even to mention the Gathering of the Juggalos I go to every year:evil:

I'd love to visit Canada, as well as meet more Tolkien fans. I might just have to go depending on the funds.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 11:37
Thanks for the link Drauglin. Unfortunately the convention is to far away for me. Sounds like it would be fun though. I hope you get to go.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 01:33
Can't let this thread die:cry: Where have all of the 20-40's gone? Does anyone have any ideas of topics they would like to discuss?
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 09:14
Where have all of the 20-40's gone?

I'm here! Just didn't notice this thread until now.

Anyways, I'm a 21 year old college student from the western suburbs of Chicago. Can you guess my favorite city? I started reading LotR in January not long after FotR came out because the film looked soooo interesting and I wanted to read the books first. It was quite funny, actually. Everyone was walking around school carrying something by Tolkien. :rolling:
Dolwen
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:05
Welcome Lady Arwen, Glad you could join us. I read LotR for the first time after Fellowship also. Now I can't get enough of Tolkien. I have turned into a Tolkien bookworm. Do you have a favorite Tolkien book?
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 03:54
I just picked up a copy of farmer giles of ham at barnes and nobles yesterday with the gift cert. I got for xmas. I really wanted to buy everything but a gift card will only go so far. I love that store, the fantasy section is always my first stop. Then there's all those reference books on tolkien that I could spend all day on. How can I pick one fav? well,I dont think there will ever be anything like the good ole triliogy. (and i count hobbit as part of that, so there!) It seems to be the beginning of it all.
does anyone know anything about HoMe? i know its a series and somehow its eather JRR or Christopher's (or both) work, and its about middle earth, but thats as far as my knowledge goes. Whats it all about? how many books really are in that series? is it still being written or is our dorrway into middle earth complete?

[Edited on 1/16/2006 by chreotha]
Dolwen
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 05:24
I am in the middle of the HoMe series. There are 13 books but the last is just an index to the series. The series is complete. Much of the series deal with Tolkien's mythology. If you want to know everything there is to know about Middle-earth then you will want to read these books. There are early and fuller versions of the Sil material. It is all JRR's work, Christopher just edited and did commentary on the chapters, because a lot of it was in rough versions. I haven't read them all yet so I can't tell you what the last 3 are about.

Vol. 1-The Book of Lost Tales pt.1(Early Silmarillion writings)
Vol. 2- The Book of Lost Tales pt.2(Early Sil, Tale of Tinuviel, Fall of Gondolin etc)
Vol. 3- The Lays of Beleriand ( full poem versions of The Lay of Leithian-(Beren and Luthien) and The Lays of the Children of Hurin)
Vol. 4- The Shaping of Middle-earth( lots of maps, early Sil, Quenta, early annals) this one is a little difficult to get into.
Vol. 5- The Lost Road and other writings( Unfinished story about time travel, early Sil and etymologies)
Vol. 6- The Return of the Shadow(early versions of Fellowship of the Ring
Vol. 7- The Treason of Isengard( early versions of Fellowship and Two Towers)
Vol. 8- The War of the Ring( early versions of Return of the King)
Vol. 9- Sauron Defeated ( early versions of the end of RotK)
Vol. 10- Morgoth's Ring
Vol. 11- War of the Jewel
Vol. 12- The Peoples of Middle-earth
Vol. 13- Index to the HoMe series
Dolwen
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 02:23
I got a little info from amazon.com on the last 3 books.

Morgoths Ring is later Silmarillion and has a section on Laws and Customs of the Eldar. Every review I have seen says it is the best book of the series
War of the Jewels is also later Sil and has a section called the Wanderings of Hurin and Quendi and Eldar(that is suppose to be about the waking of the elves etc.
Peoples of Middle-earth is answered questions and additional info on the races of ME and has a small intro of an abandoned sequel to Lotr.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 03:02
I have books 1-5, and like someone said, it's for people who enjoy the Appendix immensely, but I love 'em. The commentary by Chris Tolkien (and C.S. Lewis in the one book) is pretty insightful, but gets boring.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 04:06
Yes the commentary does get boring lol. I think Chris overexplains things, but I love them too.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 02:31
hahaha, I agree. I suppose you'd call it a 'neccessary evil' because they're so important (the commentaries) but so boring-ly written.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email