Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans between 20 and 40!
on: May 08, 2006 08:32
Hey princess prescious, nice to see a fellow fan who got started because of the movies...hello!

NM going on in my world, except trying to find a new job and not having much luck. It's not getting a job that's hard, but finding one with at least the same pay as I get now, and then there's benefits and travel time to think about...grrr

ah well back to the search then
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 02:47
Welcome princess_precious :wave: Glad to have you here.
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 06:56
How's everyone been lately? This thread's been a bit quiet huh? Nice to meet you princess_precious!!

I've just been hiding from the rain...watching movies and playing video games. I got the Advent children movie and love it!:love:

So Drauglin, how's the job hunting going? Any good news?

Dolwen
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 12:37
Hi merwyn, yep it has been very quiet around here lately, around the forums in general it seems. I wish it would rain here in Florida, we need it really bad to prevent fires.

Good luck with the job hunting Drauglin, I hope you find the perfect one.
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 08:57
Yeah, it did be quiet for a while. Where are you, guys?
Job hunting, hmm... I think we are all busy keeping our jobs, too. And our lives...
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 04:04
thanks everybody
i suppose it's going all right, i've had to turn down a couple of jobs because the benefits weren't right, and affordable health insurance is my main goal...
but i have to expidite things because my daughter's mom just lost her job.... she's had the same job for 8 years, the only one she's ever had, and i think she's depressed.as well, you can only help people that want to be helped.
Hristowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 05:56
Hello! Thanks for the invitation, Dolwen! I'm 25, and also got started reading the books because of the movies--which, in my opinion, is a credit to the movies! I waited until Return of the King came out, then I decided I wanted to read them for sure. I've since read LotR 5 times, the Hobbit 4 times, the Silmarillion twice, parts of the Unfinished Tales, Farmer Giles, Smith of Wooton Major, and I recently ordered Tree and Leaf from Amazon! I guess I had to make up for my Tolkien-deprived childhood! Anyway, I live in Utah, and hopefully I'll be a high school German or English teacher next year (if classes and student teaching go okay!). I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 09:36
Wow it's been a while since anyone posted here. Just wanted to drop by and see how everyone is doing. Hristowen glad to see you here, sorry it has been so quiet lately. I guess everyone has been busy.
We finally got some rain here in Florida, due to the start of hurricane season, not sure which is worse hurricanes or drought and fires. I haven't been up to much lately though, just working my way through the HoMe series,(just finished book 8 War of the Ring) and taking care of my boys.
Hope everyone is doing well.
elwenrohendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 10:11
Hello, I'm 23 and I have been a Tolkien fan for...*counts on fingers*...13 years!!! Yes, I read The Hobbit when I was 10, and when I brought it back to the library I found LotR in one book, so I read it! A few years later I discovered the Silmarillion and Tolkien's other works. When I was in highschool I read LotR in English, and I realised (even if I knew it already...) that the French translation is really, really bad, with whole passages missing... :angry: Now I have two shelves full of Tolkien books, plus books related to the movies...Am I a real fan or not?
Dolwen
Send Message
on: June 15, 2006 03:46
Hello elwenrohendil :wave:
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2006 04:07
Now I have two shelves full of Tolkien books, plus books related to the movies...Am I a real fan or not?

lol that's funny, like saying 'I bought every Metallica shirt and CD I could get my hands on, am I a real Metallica fan yet?' yes but I see the sarcasam. also, hello there!

FYI, I really hate Metallica. Mc-Tallica, ....and french fries for all.
VanaEryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2006 05:53
hello everyone! I'm in my 30s. I've been in love with Tolkien's work since I was very little and my mother read them aloud to me. I adore the movies, if my hubby would let me I would watch them repeatedly. The soundtrack in constantly in my cd player in my car, and I'm beginning to learn Elvish from the lessons on this site.
As I guess you can tell feom my avatar my favorite is Boromir. It's so good to meet other fans!!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 03:33
Hello VanaEryn :wave:
I wish my parents had been into Tolkien and I would have discovered him earlier in life. I also have recently restarted the Sindarin lessons on this site. Glad you could join us.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 04:15
That's one source on this site I'd like to use - learning Sindarian. It always seems like I have a million things to do though, and that is not high on the priority list.
(people post and PM sindarian quotes a lot and I have no idea what they mean)
Maybe I'll have to print out all the stuff I can find and learn in my own time.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 12:21
Maybe I'll have to print out all the stuff I can find and learn in my own time.

I got a binder and printed out all the lessons and exercises and other resources. I actually got quite far in it but then had a hard time with the verbs and gave up. Now I am starting again and taking it slower to make sure I get it down. I took advantage of the study buddy thing they have in the languages forum but that didn't work out so well. I know of a few resources that help with pronunciation and then there is the dragonflame dictionary. If anyone wants I will post links to these things, just let me know.
VanaEryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 06:13
Thank you all! actually the best help Ive found so far is the Dictionary on this site as well. it goes english to elvish and vice versa. I took the time and printed it all out then printed the lessons one at a time. But I'm not learning Sindarin, I've chosen Quenyan. There are more words to it so I thought it would be easier to learn. Does anyone know what the difference between the two are? I tried to figure it out but I'm completely lost as to why there are two different types.
elwenrohendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2006 08:43
Aww...The differences are numerous!!! One of the most remarkable is that almost al quenya words end with a vowel, whereas Sindarin words usually end with a consonant... There are also differences in grammar, in pronunciation...It's a big question!
VanaEryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2006 03:17
well this place got quiet lately. What's everyone up to?
I took my family up north to Alexandria Bay, NY for the fourth. They have awesome fireworks andwe took the tour of Boldt castle.
What did everyone else do?
Dolwen
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 09:22
Hello again VanaEryn :wave:
It is hard to keep this thread going lol. We didn't do much for the 4th, just a BBQ, and took the kids down to the beach for the fireworks, but it was nice. It was the first time my 3 year old has seen fireworks and he got a big kick out of it.
VanaEryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2006 05:36
aww i bet that was great! mine is almost 2 and the first she saw she was really tired and got scared of them, but the second she was all "ooooohh" and "ahhhhhhh"
Dolwen
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 05:00
Dusting off this thread. Just thought with so many new members here on CoE, that maybe some of them would fit into this category.
BookMasterJMV
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 02:28
New member that is 21, present!

I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of Lord of the Rings until the movies. And I even worked at a public library!

However, I was saved and now am a fanatically obsessed fan. Woohoo.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 05:43
Welcome BookMaster,
Glad to have another between 20 and 40, there doesn't seem to be to many of us here. Don't worry about it many of us didn't discover Tolkien until the movies.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 10:32
Hi 'tweeners

how was everyone's holiday? my kid sure did enjoy X-mas , but new year's is more my style. I'll probably just go out to make a cameo at a few parties just to see all my buddies. does anyone else have plans?
Dolwen
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 02:45
Hi Drauglin :wave: Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope all is well. Christmas was good, my kids really enjoyed it also. My 6 year old wanted a Chia pet really bad, so he got one. lol. I really thought he was joking for a while but nope. Yes we have some plans for New Years as well. Just going to a friend's family friendly party which is more than we usually do. Life changes when you have kids. Hope that you all have a great New Year.
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 07:01
Okay, this thread REALLY needs to be resurrected. Badly. I mean, the Fans Over 40 are really going strong and the Fans Under 20 are back on the first page yet again, but there's still nothing for us "'tweens"! I mean, c'mon, there HAVE to still be CoEers out there who, like me, grew up watching the animated Hobbit, still thinks of Sean Astin as Mikey from the Goonies (and actually SAW that movie in theaters), and grew up in a world after Tolkien's death but before the movies were even THOUGHT of!

Anyway, I'd better introduce myself. I'm Hobbitgirl and as for my age, well, let's just say I'm exactly 10 years and 2 days younger than Billy Boyd (something I'm VERY happy about! ). Do the math and you'll figure out how old I am. I grew up in the what-the-heck-were-we-thinking '80s. I am still single (AAARRRGGGHH!!!!) and I'm a relative newbie to the world of Tolkien, having only been baptized into it last year. I did read the books before I "officially" saw the movies (I don't count the times I fell asleep during my first-first viewings of FOTR and TTT back when I wasn't interested in it! :nono: ) Well, I did read the books, technically. I read the FOTR book, then saw the movie, then read TTT, then saw THAT movie, etc.

I've noticed in this thread, old though it is, that most of the contributers at this age range are married and have young kids. But what about those of us (like me) pathetic individuals who are neither married nor have any plans to? Is there anybody like that out here now? If not, is there at least anybody that can help me revive this thread and make sure we rival the teens and the "oldsters" (however much we love'em! :love: )? C'mon, "'tweens", let's go!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 09:59
Thanks for resurrecting this thread Hobbitgirl . It has been a very long time since it was posted in. I am still around but not sure if any of the other original posters are.
The Goonies lol. Yes that is how I know Sean Astin as well. That was my favorite movie when I was young and yes I did see it in theaters and probably about 100 times more. Yes, the lovely 80's- big hair and neon.
I can't join you on the singles front though. I have been married for 11 years and have 3 boys.
I was born the year Tolkien died (6 days short of being 4 months old.) I remember the animated Hobbit well ( I was afraid of Gollum).
Glad to meet you Hobbitgirl and I will definitely be up for keeping this thread going. There have been so many new members since this thread was started that there are bound to be some more tweeners out there.
:wave:
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2008 10:31
Ah, It's great to have a thread for us! I'm in this age range I am on the younger side of the age range here (I'd tell, but then I'd have to kill you ), but I do qualify.

I am still single, waiting, (whenever he comes, I'm ready, but I'm not looking) but still single.

I was first introduced to LotR at age 16 when my Dad told me I needed to read the books before I saw any of the movies. I read TH, fell in love, then read LotR from a skeptic's standpoint. I found myself re-reading them, then reading the Sil, UT and HoME 1-5. Finally, at 18, my father allowed me to watch the movies (By then all three were on DVD- you do the math). I cannot say how many times I've seen the movies, read the books, and drawn LotR fan art. (you can see some in the fan art section and the Artist's Corner Club- I've improved greatly since discovering charcoals and realism)

I am a self-proclaimed LotR Geek, and find myself, like yesterday, giving someone a 10 minute monologue on LotR when all they asked was if the books were any better than the movies. Of course, I went all into how the books were much better, and the Sil is great, and she HAD to read Beren and Luthien- I even gave a summary of that story. LOL my coworkers just stared at me for a few minutes into it. (I have a new job, and they don't quite get my fandom yet.)

And yes, I remember the Bakshi and Rankin-Bass animated versions- I recently checked them out at the library... and had a good laugh!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: May 23, 2008 05:38
Welcome to the thread Rodwen. I guess there are a few of us lingering around CoE. I didn't really get introduced until the movies but can't get enough of Tolkien's world now and have read about everything I can.
Yes the animated LotR are very laughable and I could barely tolerate it when I first saw it. I think Boromir was in a kilt or something. :twitch: The Hobbit was much better done and that is the one I remember most from childhood.
I don't really bother trying to tell anyone about LotR anymore, they just ignore me and change the subject. lol.
Imahobbitgirl2
Send Message
on: May 23, 2008 06:01
Hey, Rodwen!

I didn't really see the animated LOTR movies until I'd seen the "better" films. When I did see them, I thought, oh, lord what have they done! The characters looked terrible (Boromir's not wearing a kilt, he's just not wearing any pants at all. Neither is Aragorn. *shudder* ) the plot looked like it had been written by someone who had skimmed the books only once and couldn't remember the details, and that roto-effects thing is laughable. But I still watch it. It IS, after all, LOTR.

But the Hobbit is a classic film that I've loved since practically forever, especially the Gollum scene. It's a part of my childhood, right up there with my favorite toys and Saturday morning cartoons.
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2008 03:27
Hi All :wave:

I'm 25 and glad to find a place where 'In~betweeners' fit. I have browsed the FOF thread a bit . . . and wondered about the camaraderie among Tolkienites my own age . . . (forgive my spelling ).

I've been an addict since my early teens, having gotten 'The Hobbit' as a 13th Birthday gift. I swiftly followed it's reading with LOTR which occupied the Summer Days of my 14th year!!
I found this site just over a year ago whilst browsing for 'Elvish' lessons . . . (which I shamefacedly admit I've yet to undertake :blush: ).

I belong to a Group called 'Little Shirelings' based in my Home City of Dublin, Ireland, but it doesn't have a long membership list. I'm Single, have one daughter, who just turned four, and adores Fantasy in general and Tolkien in particular, one cat called Emerald, a Full time job and some part time Postgraduate courses ~ all of which distract my attentions from ME to a semblance of reality!! Lol . . .

I too have seen the Bakshi Animations and now think they're Hillarious . . though that wasn't my first impression by any means :rolleyes:

Rodwen, I've just checked out your Fan Art for the first time . . . . in a word . . . WOW !!!

Hobbitgirl, Math has never been my strongest topic . . . and although I have calculated i'm still in the dark . . . . ???xxO?? :twitch: Our Paths have crossed though in the Games Forum :love:

I'll stop rambling now & just say It's good to make all of your acquaintenances . . . :wave:
Dolwen
Send Message
on: May 26, 2008 03:47
Hi Princess Pana, nice to meet you. I found this site looking for elvish lessons also and also never got very far. :blush:
Imahobbitgirl2
Send Message
on: May 26, 2008 05:15
Yes, I do believe I remember you from the Games Forum. Hi, Princess! :wave:

Okay, I'll try to make this a bit easier. Billy Boyd is 39. :cry: I am 10 years younger than him. :cry: :sob: Also, his birthday is August 28, while mine is August 30. It's actually pretty simple math. Don't worry. Math was never my friend, either. (More like my arch-nemesis.) When your 8-year-old nephew knows more math than you do, then you're lousy.

I've always wanted to see Ireland. It's so beautiful. You're so lucky to live there. And your daughter sounds cute!
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2008 11:25
Ah... Ireland... the land of my ancestors... and the place I want to see so bad :sob: I would love to travel there someday... Maybe whenever I meet the right guy and we get married I can ask him to take me there on our honeymoon... sigh.

PrincessPana- Thanks so much for the complement! I still have a long way to go on my art, but it's a learning process. Hopefully I will be able to afford an art course at the local college this summer... in between work and riding lessons and church, of course! LOL maybe there's an online course... *searches around*

HobbitGirl and Pana *waves like crazy* My fellow gamers! Good to see you here!

What are we all planning to do this summer? I want to go to the "Long Expected Party" this Sept. that is planned in Kentucky... don't know if I'll be ablt to get away, though.
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2008 08:42
Just Popping by to say Hi to All . . . :wave:

No huge plans for Summertime ~ going to the UK in August for a Friends Wedding . . to the beautiful & historic City of York . . but that is quite a ways away yet

Will Update if something exciting happens . .. (don't hold your breath though, this is my life . . LOL)

Rodwen . . A long Expected Party ??

Ummm . . Visits to Ireland . . . Image You'd All be sooo Welcome !!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email