Register

Author Topic:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Fans between 20 and 40!
on: March 23, 2006 12:22
First,
I think it takes a real man to do something more than just the typical man things.

Does it take a real woman to do more than just typical woman things? Ok, ok, just kidding. But it's funny how it sometimes feels like I'm more a man than my future husband.
I mean, when in Friday evening he's in the kitchen cooking us a dinner and I'm on the couch watching football and drinking beer... And we wouldn't switch our places at any price.
It's just that I love doing some traditional "man things" and he some "woman things"... you know, when looking at pictures of some nice and interesting looking jewellery, clothes, books or anything in a catalogue and then notice above them reads: "for boyfriend / husband / father" it kinda gets me :angry:, and sigh at my taste.

Then, I'd really love to have LotR trivial pursuit, standard or dvd version - or any LotR trivia game, actually. Though I'd probably have the same problems as you guys. This much LotR knowledge is becoming a curse. I've had luck in getting my fiancé obsessed, because nowadays he even more often than me says: "Could we watch some LotR movie?" Yesterday I said he could join CoE but he seemed not ready yet to do it (i.e. admit he could be that much a fan). We have one LotR board game, but it can't be played by just two people so we have to ask some friends to join... I heard some of them bought some LotR strategy game lately so maybe a LotR game evening is going to happen soon.

About spring, the rays of the sun are starting to feel warmer, but it was -15 Celsius (5 Fahrenheit) this morning and now on midday it's -7'C (19 F) here in northern Finland, so we can start talking about first flowers in late April - May.

[Edited on 24/3/2006 by fogriipus]
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2006 06:04
Does it take a real woman to do more than just typical woman things?
sounds like Eowyn
It's just that I love doing some traditional "man things" and he some "woman things"... you know, when looking at pictures of some nice and interesting looking jewellery, clothes, books or anything in a catalogue and then notice above them reads: "for boyfriend / husband / father" it kinda gets me , and sigh at my taste.
Don't sweat it. You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I'm a mom and a wife, but I absolutely can't stand being placed in that "housewife" stereotype! I'm quite happy not being typical. I'm 27, and if I could I'd spend all my time playing Zelda games with my kids, making lotr comtumes, and daydreaming! You should just be you.
Drauglin, you live in NJ? Cool! I live in PA.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2006 09:16
Drauglin, you live in NJ? Cool! I live in PA.

Nice! However, there seems to be an offset. There seems to be plenty of members from PA, but none from Jersey. I thought the most densely populated state would be full of people like us. Ah, well. There's plenty of horror and sci-fi buffs around here. Enough to make not 2, but 4 horror conventions happen yearly. In recent years they have become very popular. Not to mention profitable!

[Edited on 23/3/2006 by Drauglin]
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 23, 2006 10:58
Don't sweat it. You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I'm a mom and a wife, but I absolutely can't stand being placed in that "housewife" stereotype! I'm quite happy not being typical. I'm 27, and if I could I'd spend all my time playing Zelda games with my kids, making lotr comtumes, and daydreaming! You should just be you.

Thanks merwyn, I know. I love being me and liking the things I like. I probably wouldn't like to be typical. I just can't stand those stereotypes... not any prejudgments, but especially not those which determine by your sex what you like, do and wear. :dizzy:

Awh, Drauglin, I wish there was even one cool convention a year here.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2006 04:55
Frogi, it blows my mind. Those horror movie conventions are such a staple in new jersey, I sometimes forget that they don't happen everywhere. If you ever get a chance to go, GO! They're super-fun. At the last one I got to meet Robert Englund (Freddy) Tom Savini (horror makeup legend) Doug Bradley (Pinhead from Hellraiser) Mick Foley (Cactus Jack/Mankind from pro wrestling) Adrienne Barbeau (my favorite actress from HBO's carnivale) and 70's blaxploitation star Dolemite. Also the little boy from Chucky 1-3, the little girl from the Ring, and countless others were there. I even got a great life-drawing of Ian as Gandalf and John Davies as Gimli, both done by real comic book artists, for like $20.

Sorry to rant, but I love these things. Here, let me make up for it:

http://www.monstermania.net/
http://www.chillertheatre.com/

If you're in the east coast area, (NJ, NY, PA, DE, even VA) check it out, it's a great time.
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2006 06:30
I can't recommend american guys anymore, too many act like the guy you described in your post. shameful.

Can't argue with you there Drauglin, but it is nice to have a guy admit it. But seriously, I'd like to think there are a few good ones left here, my husband is one and you seem to be one too.

My theory is: all "good" guys belong to three categories--1. already married (as your husband ) 2. Not born yet 3. Queer guys (Fab 5! My idols!)

I just thought: if Eowyn had never met Faramir, she might keep single for her whole life...
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2006 05:05
My theory is: all "good" guys belong to three categories--1. already married (as your husband ) 2. Not born yet 3. Queer guys (Fab 5! My idols!)

Funny thing is, I've been mistaken for married and queer many times (but I've never been either one.)

I just thought: if Eowyn had never met Faramir, she might keep single for her whole life...

I thought the same thing.... she needed a guy in touch with his feminine side as she was in touch with her masculine side...
Lurearanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 07:52
Hi everyone. I'm 35 and the Lord of the Rings has only recently become a favorite of mine because I didn't even know it existed until a friend of mine introduced me. I own the trilogy in books and the extended DVD's and the RotK cartoon (for my kids but I think it's cute too). I would love to own all of Middle Earth inspired books and movies. I've read my friends copies of the Sil, Hobbit and the Book of Lost Tales. I also like to play his gameshop lotr game, even if he usually wins. I have three kids, ages 9, 6 and 4. Two boys and a girl. They all love the movies almost as much as I do, but can't seem to get them interested in the books yet. They love Star Wars same or more depending on if they (the boys) would rather pretend to have a light saber or a sword of steal...lol. We live in Indiana and it's finally warming up a little here. I'm glad to see more 30-somethings out there and as far as topics to discuss, well there's always the books and movies (always great topics),our families/lives and so forth, and I'd like to hear about what talents anyone has. (This means we get to brag a little.) I love to draw and paint, although I don't get time to do alot with the kids around. I also sing and write songs but I don't think I'm "pro" material.
I noticed some comments about men and although I complain about my husband sometimes, he's really a good man. I cringe, though, when I think about my little girl getting older and just what kind of guys will be available for her in those dating years. I feel like I'm doing my part in trying to teach our boys how to treat a lady. But, they're still young right now and I'm enjoying this time with them.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 10:25
Hello Lurearanel, Glad to meet you. My oldest son is nearly 10 and since the LotR book is a little to difficult at his age, I bought him Tolkien's Roverandom. He really enjoyed it, so maybe you can introduce your son to Tolkien that way. The Hobbit should be something he could easily read also. We have the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings thing going on in our house too. My husband is a huge Star Wars fan and obviously I am a huge Tolkien fan.
As for talents, I don't have many.lol. I have always liked photography but haven't done much lately,I used to draw a little ( nothing worth bragging about I'm sure), I can sew pretty well, not professional quality though. I actally made my 3 neices, nephew and my 3 sons all Lord of the Rings costumes for Halloween in 2004. The turned out pretty good. I make them costumes of some sort about every other year.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2006 08:06
Hi Lurearanel, good to see ya! My oldest is as into lotr as I am. i wish i could read the books to her but i work 2nd shift so im never home for bed time. Ive got a lil one also (almost 2) but shes too young to care yet. i'll corrupt her soon enough) mwhahahaha
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 04:20
I cheat! I read LOTR books with the Chinese version's help. That means when I could not realize some lines, I turned my Chinese version to that part to find out the translation... Any foreign reader doing this like me?

Besides, is here anybody reading LOTR in beauty parlor like I do? It's kind of weird here because most guests read tabloids, magazines...during the shampoo or perm. Only I bring my own books, especially English ones, to the beauty parlor.

[Edited on 1/4/2006 by Josephine_jfh]
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 03:23
Hi Lurearanel! :wave: Hmm, about talents... I can draw, but I don't do it very often... I just have some periods when I draw all day and then get enough of it and leave it for months again. lol. I've recently been interested in doing something of pics with computer, for example I've done some wallpapers and stationery. I also like writing but as a perfectionist it will take some time before I'll have anything ready. Especially for others' eyes to see! Usually though, my talents would be something related to my good memory and interest (and patience) to putter with little things...info and details... making lists... Uh, I'm boring.

Josephine, I read the books in two languages too The first time I read the books in my first language, Finnish. But when I read them in English, I use the help of the Finnish version in hard parts...

I haven't been reading them in beauty parlor though... I can't even remember when was the last time I had my hair cut in hairdresser! I'm a student, you know. I've been using the help of relatives in cutting it and I dye it myself. But it'd be a good idea to have something Tolkien to read, instead of those dull magazines!

[Edited on 3/4/2006 by fogriipus]
Lurearanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 02:02
Great to meet all of you.
I do the computer-art thing but don't have much to show except the ecards I just submitted.view
Computer-art can be very time consuming but fun.

I'm editing this because I said the ecards are art but they are movie clips that I've just enhanced and added script to. Just wanted to clarify that.

[Edited on 4/4/2006 by Lurearanel]
Dolwen
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 04:57
Those ecards are really nice Lurearanel. I wish I knew how to do things like that
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2006 07:06
Great ecards Lurearanel!! I'm terrible with computer things. I wish I knew how to do things like that too!

Lately I've been kept busy making new Kingdom hearts costumes for my kids. They got the game a couple days ago and want outfits like the characters. My kids love to dress up and have adventures. It seems I'm always making some kind of costume for them.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2006 04:06
Lately I've been kept busy making new Kingdom hearts costumes for my kids.

Sweet.... hell I'm 24 and I love those games. I'm not so good @ making costumes, but I've seen the Kingdom Hearts robes (with the dangly chains and all) for sale, and was very tempted to spend all my money on one.

Cool E-cards Lurearanel. Espically the Galadriel one. I wish I had a DVD-Rom so's I could get cool screen captures too.:cry:
I suppose I'll have to get my own PC one of these days.
Lurearanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2006 05:22
Yahooo!! I'm happy today because I finally got my own copy of The Hobbit. Now I plan to read through all four books. :love:

And..thanks for the compliments on the ecards.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2006 07:41
Yahooo!! I'm happy today because I finally got my own copy of The Hobbit. Now I plan to read through all four books. :love:

Nice... I've got the book, but I've been on the look-out for a reasonably priced Annotated Hobbit. It's got so many pictures and information, it rocks. I could always lift it from the library:evil: but that's not very nice. Kidding, I'd never do that.
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2006 10:20
Nice... I've got the book, but I've been on the look-out for a reasonably priced Annotated Hobbit. It's got so many pictures and information, it rocks.

Cool! I didn't know about that. Now I want one too!

Does anyone know a good way to make "kid friendly" swords? We wanted to make our son (5 yrs old) a keyblade, the sword from kingdom hearts, to go with his costume and got stumped. Any suggestions?

Dolwen
Send Message
on: April 11, 2006 01:13
Drauglin, Have you checked Amazon.com for The Annotated Hobbit? I'm not sure what price your looking for but they have used ones starting about $14 and new for $18.

Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2006 06:21
Does anyone know a good way to make "kid friendly" swords? We wanted to make our son (5 yrs old) a keyblade, the sword from kingdom hearts, to go with his costume and got stumped. Any suggestions?

Well, blunt wood would be the easiest way, it's fairly sturdy and with rounded edges like a keyblade has, it's not likely he'll cut someone. You could always browse around online and find a repliac, then pay an arm and a leg for it... as long as he isn't too picky you could do wood, with plastic chains and paint and such for detail.

Drauglin, Have you checked Amazon.com for The Annotated Hobbit? I'm not sure what price your looking for but they have used ones starting about $14 and new for $18.

Man, and I was gonna pay $29.99 at the bookstore. I'm always forgetting I have A CC these days. Thanks Dolwen!

[Edited on 12/4/2006 by Drauglin]

[Edited on 4/13/2006 by BelleBayard]
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 01:04
Hey Lurearanel, if you're interested in reading the Hobbit with others and sharing the views, note that our realm's Book Club is right now planning on starting to read The Hobbit! We've just been waiting for more readers before we start.

Those of you who make costumes, have you done any for yourself, or adult-size anyway?

If you'd like to see, there is something done by me in the downloads section, too - in wallpapers, bookmarks and stationery, and one e-card in Oromë's realm e-cards, or, here. Here are some I'm probably most happy with: paper1 paper2 paper3 bmark bmark2
Btw, lines in stationery don't show in these pics like they're in the actual download. And too bad that there's not author search option in the multimedia downloads section, like in e-cards.

[Edited on 13/4/2006 by fogriipus]
Dolwen
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 03:59
fogriipus, your work is really nice too. I really like your stationary, you did a great job.

Those of you who make costumes, have you done any for yourself, or adult-size anyway?

No I have never made any for myself or adult size, but I probably could. Here is a link to the lotr costumes and some of the others I have made, if anyone wants to see them.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Elbereth5/costumes
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 04:14
Dolwen, awesome pics... esp. Yoda! the Hobbit ones are pretty cute too.

I've never actually made an entire costume myself, most are just mash-ups. Ex: I have an Hannibal Lector replica mask, wich I'll wear with a (fake) bloody pinstripe suit (blood done with fabric paint). Pretty extreme, but cool.
I've been scoping out fabrics I could use to make a Nazgul costume, but again it will probably be combined with some pre-made stuff. The only part I can't figure out is the metal gloves, but that can be improvised.
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 05:00
Amazing! How lovely these costumes are! (And the little models...)
And Fogriipus' bookmarks are awesome, too!

Being 35 since today! Quote the line of the actor of the same age, "I don't know why, Mr. Frodo, it makes me sad."...
Lurearanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 05:36
Thanks Fog, I'll check that out, and your stationary is pretty. I especially like the Eowyn bookmark.
Dolwen the cosumes are brilliant. I sew some but it would be very challenging to accomplish what you have. Good work.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 09:26
Happy Birthday Josephine :cheers: Hope you have had a good day.

And thanks everyone for the nice comments about my costumes. Drauglin, I know of a site that you might want to check out for your Nazgul costume, here is a link to the gloves part of it. I got a lot of info from this site when I made my costumes. http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Vambrace.htm
Also if you click on characters on the left side menu, you can get other info too. Hope it helps.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 03:53
Oh, I'm a bit late, but Happy Birthday Josephine! Remember you're only as old as you feel.

Those costumes are awesome Dolwen! I can only wish I could make something like that... just have to settle for that I can barely sew up a button. :blush:
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 05:36
Did you do anything fun for your birthday Josephine?

Everyone is so talented in what they do! Dolwen, incredible stuff! Do you do sewing professionally? If you don't...you could! My costumes are hardly so perfect. I makeshift ALOT. I tend to alter clothing more than start from scratch.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 06:53
Dolwen, incredible stuff! Do you do sewing professionally? If you don't...you could!

No, I don't do it professionally, I learned everything I know from my grandmother. I use patterns and some trial and error lol. When I get all of my kids in school, I plan to take some classes to get better at it.
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 10:49
Thanks, pals! I feel heart-warmed. :blush:

I just thought: no wonder I don't have any one talking about LOTR except on the websites! My family and friends are not LOTR fans at all. And my students? They are in grade 3~6, in other words, they were only 4~7 years old when FOTR released! Don't forget the trilogy is PG-13...

However, when I wore my Evenstar pendant to the school yesterday, everyone was fascinated, "How gorgeous it is!"

My friend encouraged me to dress like an elf when I go to the ELF in July. (From Taiwan to NYC, wow!) I answered, "Have you ever seen an elf THIS SHORT?" :rolleyes: Besides, I can't find anyone making LOTR costumes in Taiwan! There are some guys auction hand-made costumes on the Internet; however, they only make for cartoon characters.

BTW, is here anybody going to the ELF, too? Or the Fantasy Fair in Holland next week?

[Edited on 15/4/2006 by Josephine_jfh]
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 04:20

BTW, is here anybody going to the ELF, too? Or the Fantasy Fair in Holland next week?

[Edited on 15/4/2006 by Josephine_jfh]

I'm not sure exactly what ELF is. Am I going to the one in Holland? I wish!
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2006 04:18
Ahh... Last time I asked if here's anyone has been to the Middle-Earth Tour (held by Red Carpet Tour), no body responded, either. I wonder where are COE members hiding?

Oh, and there does have one another Taiwanese COE member! But he (or she?) said he (or she?) hasn't post any message here for a long time. So I think I am still the only one Taiwanese linger here recently.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: May 06, 2006 02:28
Just checking in and keeping our precious thread from being buried. Hope you all have been well, over the last couple weeks.

Josephine, I have never been on the Middle-Earth Tour, but I would really love to someday. I bet it is wonderful.
princess_precious
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 08:22
Hello I'm 26 and I have been a fan for about 5/6 years now. I first saw FOTR and feel in love with immediately. I have finished the LOTR and started on The Similarillion. It's nice to meet other fans around the same sort of age.

See you laters
PP
:disco:

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email