Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans between 20 and 40!
on: January 21, 2006 02:52
wow ive got a lot of reading to do. i saw books 1-5 in a box set, they should do the whole series in a box set. LOL boy would that be a big honkin box
Cenerue
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 06:11
Hello all, I'm 38 and decided to post in this forum. I also loved the Rankin bass movies- I'm determined to buy the Hobbit and the Return of the King- they are on Amazon, and only like $10 each. I read the series 3 or 4 times starting in high school, so when they made the movie I was really excited! I ended up seeing Fellowship 5 times in the movies- I was just enthralled with it. The elves really blew me away, especially Elrond. Right now I'm watching LOST and I'm very impressed with Dom.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 10:21
Hello Cenerue, glad you could join us. I know what you mean about being blown away by the movies, I hadn't read the book until after I saw Fellowship, now I am a huge book head. I am also a huge fan of Lost too, never miss an episode.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 11:50
Hi Cenerue!! I also was really taken by the Elves in the movies. I never read the books beforehand, I didn't even finish them until RoTK was out. But the prolouge to the Fellowship was what hooked me.

Not a Lost fan, I'm not big on TV, but if I wanted to I could ask my Dad, and he'd tell me everything. He's even got his favorite episodes saved on TiVo. I think he likes Dom a little more then he wants to admit! lol j/p
silver_Tinuviel
Finrod's Harp
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 03:34
Hello everyone! :wave: I know this thread since it appeared, but I avoided posting here because of a huge lack of inspiration. Now I finally decided to join and introduce myself to this fine company. I'm 27 going on 28, I'm completely in love with LotR and I also have a soft spot for Harry Potter. In both cases, I read the book after I saw the films.
I'm a book worm, a movie lover and an incurable dreamer obsessed with linden trees and chestnuts .
Image Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong/ The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,/ And all the magic and might he brought/ Of Elvenesse into his words./ Softly in the gloom they heard the birds/ Singing afar in Nargothrond,/ The sighing of the Sea beyond,/ Beyond the western world, on sand,/ On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 07:58
Hello silver_Tinuviel
It seems we have a few book heads here, but the more the merrier.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2006 05:38
YaY!!! newcomers. I love the rankin bass versions too i think its cool they tried so hard to use the songs that Tolkien wrote in the book. of course it took me a while to catch them all but once i noticed i thought that was very clever
I just finished smith of wooten major and farmer giles of ham, they felt a lot more like grimms fairy tales than tolkien but still neat anyhow
Dolwen
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 02:30
Chreotha, Thanks for your take on Smith and Farmer Giles. I am about to start reading A Tolkien Miscellany,( it has Smith of Wootton Major, Farmer Giles of Ham, Tree and Leaf, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight) and was curious what about the stories. I guess I shouldn't say I am about to start reading it, I have to finish LotR(again) first. Has anyone else read any of the other stories in this book and what did you think of them?
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2006 06:06
...all right! I confess: I am as old as Sean Astin. Do the math yourself.

I always feel shamed that I became LOTR fan after seeing ROTK. Kind late! Even I major English in university, I did not have any idea about Tolkein before the trilogy released! Now I am learning writing Tengwa--actually copying the works appeared in the movies.

Oh, Valentine is coming. Who wants chocolate from a 30-something-old lady?
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2006 02:41
[quoteI always feel shamed that I became LOTR fan after seeing ROTK. Kind late!

That's OK, anyone that would give you problem for that sucks anyway. That's like saying, 'you're not a Metallica fan cause I heard them first' or whatever. Nonsense.

Oh, Valentine is coming. Who wants chocolate from a 30-something-old lady?

I do! Doesn't have to be fancy either, just get me a Reeses Pieces or something.
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2006 06:37
...all right! I confess: I am as old as Sean Astin. Do the math yourself

LMAO then you and I are the same age!!
Chocolate ROX!!
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2006 07:23
LMAO then you and I are the same age!!
Chocolate ROX!!

:hug: And we use Sean Bean/Boromir avitar, too!
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2006 06:25
LMAO YAY!!! Sean Bean ROX!!!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: February 21, 2006 02:39

I always feel shamed that I became LOTR fan after seeing ROTK. Kind late!

Better late than never. Seriously, don't be ashamed about it, I use to feel the same way because I didn't know anything about LotR until Fellowship came out. But then I realized that it doesn't matter when or how I found Middle-Earth I am just grateful that I did.
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 11:37
Hello everyone!! This is a cool thread idea. I'm a 27 year old LotR nut. I saw Fellowship and ran to get the books! After that, my life got a whole lot better.

I have two kids, 5yrs and 8 yrs old, that I just love to pieces! They also like LotR, but they're still in the "cover their eyes" stage of watching the movies. They only like watching the hobbits!

I totally agree with Dolwen! As long as you have Middle Earth to escape to, that's what matters!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 02:44
Hi Merwyn Glad you could join us.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 02:48
I have two kids, 5yrs and 8 yrs old, that I just love to pieces! They also like LotR, but they're still in the "cover their eyes" stage of watching the movies. They only like watching the hobbits!

Welcome to the site, fellow parent! my little daughter is 4 and will watch with me, but when a nazgul shows up she grabs me and says, 'daddy i scared!' so cute.
I totally agree with Dolwen! As long as you have Middle Earth to escape to, that's what matters!

couldn't agree more!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 01:43
I also have kids, 3 boys, nearly 10, 5 and 3. When something scares my 3 year old in a movie he covers his ears instead of his eyes. I guess he thinks if he can't hear it, then he won't be scared.
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 01:43
All boys...what a handfull!!

TheSecretFire
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 08:21
Hi, I just signed up today, but I fit into this age bracket so I thought I'd reply. I'm 21 and have been a Tolkien fan since a couple years before the movies came out...which was perfect because I had barely begun yelling "Oh how I wish LOTR had been made into a movie (I am NOT counting the 70s cartoon version as a movie!)" before I got my wish. I know a lot of hardcore fans don't like the movies, and I have my qualms with them, but they're enjoyable. I've read nearly all Tolkien's works, and The Silmarillion is my favorite.

Anyway, I wish more of you used the chatroom. In the meantime, if anyone wants to talk to me on MSN, they can feel free. See my fellow 20s fans around the boards, I guess
Dolwen
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 09:35
Hi Secret Fire, glad you could join us also. This thread isn't very active is it. Maybe a few of us can get some kind of discussion going and liven things up around here. lol. The boards in general have been quiet lately, which is unusual. I am in the process of reading all of Tolkien's works also and The Sil is also my favorite. I don't know what to say about the chatrooms though. I have never been in them here or anywhere else for that matter. Maybe you should check out the realms we have here to get to know some people that way. Hope to see you here again.

[Edited on 3/15/2006 by Dolwen]
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 01:34
Hello, glad to see there are more of us 20-40!
I've been a bit busy with studies lately but now it's going to get better because those mid- spring term exams are over...
It's weird the forums have been this quiet lately. It must be that other people are busy, too... I can't believe it could be because people starting to lose interest! :nono: And pretty much of the time here I've been spending in the realm, but it seems to be getting more quiet there too, so I probably have to hang more around these other forums... How is it in your realms?

Btw SecretFire, I think I'll add your msn... hopefully we'll see there, too..! If someone's willing to add me, feel free.

Edit:
I forgot to say about the chat - I haven't used it a lot, just for realm things. It's kind of easier when you have a set time to meet someone there. Haha I feel getting old.

[Edited on 15/3/2006 by fogriipus]
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 04:42
Anyway, I wish more of you used the chatroom. In the meantime, if anyone wants to talk to me on MSN, they can feel free.

Bogus! I can only really go online at work. That means I can't use an IM or the chat-room.:cry:

I agree with Dolwen, we should get a convo going here. We seem to be the smallest demographic on CoE!

How about kids? Any others with children? Mine's 4 years old, Jillian Isis.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 05:25
I just joined a Realm this week actually, it seems very quiet too. I hope the quietness isn't due to people losing interest Like I said above I have 3 kids, all boys, Connor(soon to be 10) Christian(5) and Caysen(3).
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 12:40
No, no kids yet... me and my fiancé we're both still studying, so time and money would be big problems right now - but we're dreaming I'd like to have many children and fortunately we'll still be young at the supposed time of graduating...

[Edited on 19/3/2006 by fogriipus]
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 02:26
No, no kids yet... me and my fiancé we're both still studying, so time and money would be big problems right now - but we're dreaming I'd like to have many children and fortunately we'll still be young at the supposed time of graduating...
[Edited on 19/3/2006 by fogriipus]

Well, at least you're doing things the right way. I can't say that I did, but having a kid is definetly an experience. 4 years ago I didn't know what patience or self-control were. I thought I did, but no way. Now that I think about it, I didn't know a darn thing at age 20.
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 07:06
No! No! No! I'll never get married in Taiwan! Life here is already tough and strict even for we single people, let alone the notorious chauvinism of most Taiwanese men!

Tell you a story: once I quarreled with a man because his car blocked the exit of sidewalk. You know how he reacted to me? "How dare you yell to me? You are only a woman! You can't speak so loud!"

Now you can understand how much I sympathise Eowyn!
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 09:27
Wow Josephine that's crazy. As an american, ( a lazy one at that) I tend to forget that people in other countries have it bad. Come to america and find a husband here. Actually, go to Canada. I can't recommend american guys anymore, too many act like the guy you described in your post. shameful.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 12:43
I can't recommend american guys anymore, too many act like the guy you described in your post. shameful.

Can't argue with you there Drauglin, but it is nice to have a guy admit it. But seriously, I'd like to think there are a few good ones left here, my husband is one and you seem to be one too.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2006 05:02
But seriously, I'd like to think there are a few good ones left here, my husband is one and you seem to be one too.

How sweet of you to say
Things are crazy in this country sometimes. I had a dude tell me at a party that I'd be more of a man if I knew about cars and football. I had to tell him he's a big a nerd as I am, he just concentrates on football stats insted of other languages... he didn't like that at all!:evil:
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2006 01:10
Oh my...I haven't written in a while.

I had no idea it was like that in Taiwan! That's really rotten Josephine! :hug: I'm so thankful my husband's a sensitive man.

Things are crazy in this country sometimes. I had a dude tell me at a party that I'd be more of a man if I knew about cars and football. I had to tell him he's a big a nerd as I am, he just concentrates on football stats insted of other languages... he didn't like that at all!

I think it takes a real man to do something more than just the typical man things. Right on Drauglin!
I'm soooooo excited! I finally got the Lotr trivial pursuit DVD version!!! :disco: I've wanted it for such a long time! We've been playing the standard version until now.(of course I kick my husband's butt at it) They're not all the same questions are they?
Dolwen
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 03:37
I didn't know they had a dvd version of LotR trivial pusuit. I have the standard version as well, but nobody will play with me.:cry:
merwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 06:39
I wish I could play with you Dolwen!! I've never played that game with another hardcore fan. It would be fun
I saw the DVD version a while back, but it was kinda expensive so we just played our other one. Being cheap paid off though, because now I got it for HALF the price! When I saw it marked down I couldn't refuse!

I can't wait for it to warm up here. It seems like spring weather will never come. I want to plant a garden so bad.
Dolwen
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 09:24
I wish I could play with a hard core fan too. Everyone I know has only seen the movies once or twice and has no interest in LotR. I wish they had a book version too, that would be cool.
I live in Florida and we haven't had very many cold days this year. I am dreading the heat of the summer, right now is perfect weather.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 09:57
Man that DVD trivial pursuit sounds cool! I could never play it though, for the same reason Dolwen cited.... I'm the only hardcore 'ringer' I know. And BTW Dolwen you're lucky in my eyes. Here in NJ, there's been a 40 degree temperature flux in the last 2 weeks. Two fridays ago, it was 72 outside, and this friday will be 35. It gets me so frustrated! Pick a season and stick with it!!!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email