Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VI
on: May 24, 2006 04:40
Tsk... Well, I never had to wear such things where I came from because it wasn't that cold. Never had problems with boys looking up my skirts or down my blouses either. Heh... Kind of a bean pole and into ballet I was.

And just how old were you, swabby, when you didn't do those activities? Adolescent or pre-adolescent? Tsk... Naughty! :naughty: Today someone caught doing something like that would get more than their fingers rapped. Of course, it also depends on where they go to school. I feel for you teachers, especially of older kids. Don't parents discipline or talk to their kids about how to act any more? Geez... However...

Amazing what parents don't do. Like my hubby who talks about the pranks he didn't play using chemistry in high school... Hmm...

And we wonder why our kids into trouble. :nono:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 05:13
I remember pettipants. They were a bother and quite hot down here in the summer and spring. Whew!!

As for my bloomers, I've traded them in for an updated version. Your gall bladder scar sounds interesting, swabby, but I need something more than a mere arrowhead collection to warrant a peek. Now whaddayagot???

My hubby remembers lying down on the floor in 1st grade to look under his teacher's dress. I've had students in the past year or so that have looked up my dress, down my shirt and made inappropriate comments on various body parts...and this is in kindergarten!! Maybe I should dress as a nun.)

Hope your swollen foot gets better, Mith. You don't seem the type to keep still for very long. Take care. Sometimes we have to take it easy for a short bit to prevent spending a longer time healing.

Had a great last day with the kids. They're a fantastic group of children, each with a strong and unique personality. I'll miss them. Glad that I have a day or so to do the paperwork and prepare my room for the summer. Hope I don't sprain/strain something moving furniture. Mr. Jerry makes himself scarce when there's physical work to do...he's the only rooster in the hen house. Poor man!!!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 01:31
I'll gladly accept your image of healing surrounding my clogged blood vessel, Vicarcat, and you have my gratitude and thanks.

Of course you all know me by now, so I expect that none of you were fooled by my half-hearted denials of having participated in any adolescent naughtiness. And to answer your question, Belle, I became consumed with thoughts of the awesome female form when I was about ten and (Now this may come as A surprise) still am to this day. Although I haven't done one in twenty years, I would guess that over half the artwork I've done in my life has been nudes. I've never had A live model, though, and have always worked from photos.
Kids are far more brazen today than they were in my time. Yeah, we liked girls and occasionally someone might get caught kissing at school, but they go way beyond that today, even though the local schools seem to have A lot more rules than we did and are more strict in some ways.

I thought surely you would take my offer, MT. That gall bladder scar is really something, ya know. Hmmm. Now, I do have an enormous uvula. (I hope the word police know what that is, or I'll be busted again) Now, If I could just be one of your students, MT, I wouldn't have this problem. Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 05:14
Thanks for the healing thoughts, Vicarcat and MT. Hopefully, it was just a bite...don't want to think of spiders. The swelling is down today although it is still sore.

Today's kids seem to know much more at a young age. Can remember being boy crazy throughout most of my school years but much of it was a love of doing boy stuff as I had no brothers. Who knows what would have transpired had I looked at their uvulas! Actually must confess I had to look that one up in the dictionary, Swabby. You had me wondering!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 01:08
I'm not surprised at the size of your uvula, swabby. Somehow it seems to "fit". Do you need to return to kindergarten?? I've been know to do remediation with "special students". Perhaps I could tutor you and Viggo- my ranger class. There are definately a few things I'd like to "teach" him!:love::evil: Now get up off the floor, swabby. Rangers don't keep dropping their sword. :nono:

After work tomorrow, this gal is going to party till she can no longer!!! Heading off to the beach with cousins (hopefully), then a family get-together/ party that night. Going to the beach on Saturday with hubby . Been beach-deprived for a bit so this is making up for it. It's also 90 degrees F!! I may stop in and report from party central. Wish you all could be with me, it would be even more fun having you along.

MT
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 02:44
Partying in the sun sounds fun... wish I was there...
I've regular meetings Friday Saturday and Sunday nights 7-11pm
so that takes care of my partying time... that and mass at noon every day...
makes for a busy Cat.

Now if I could rope a few rangers to help with the work I would...
even if all they could do was deliver foodbags to people.

So much to do to make a better world and so few groups well enough
organized to do it on a shoe-string budget...
Lots of folks doing their part but such a load of work to do...

I am a dreamer and I am remakeing my part of Earth a closer memory to that
of Lorien's dreams of Earth.

Gotta do something or the Orcs of Mordor will win after all..
How to circumvent Ragnarok before the battle begins?
Walk before the creation of time to do that, so I'll work with what I have
in the Elven underground...
Ooops! Now you know my real agenda!:blush:

Hmmm if you heal an Orc do you end up with a Half-Elf with a bad attitude?
Ifso that may explain all the Gothic-Punks on the streets that look like Elves...
they don't like their parents at all [perhaps with good cause]. :sob:

I'll keep up the prayers for Swabby, Mith, and Awelyn, and kin... et: :love:!

Now, where do I find an Elven form of the Rosary?

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 03:59
Vicarcat , you are one busy person but your life sounds very rewarding. Have a good weekend. The Elven underground huh, are the dwarfs with you?

Mith how is your foot? I hope it is better today.

MTMS, Have a good time with your kin. Now where is a ranger when you need him.

Swabby how is your weather?
I have to take my dog to the groomer I will be back.

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 04:26
Mith I wish that I could send a King/Healer to minister to that foot of yours. MAybe you could imagine his strong, competenet hands massaging the swelling away...........

Swabby your clot story reminds me how lucky I am. My hubby's heart condition still allows him to hike, but the arthritis is starting to hamper his mobility. He did a little light work with his arms over his head and had a backache for 2 days afterwards. I'll stop griping about my little aches and pains.

I hope you wil continue to enjoy life and keep up your spirits (you know which ones I mean - not the grog).

Vicarcat, your philosophy remonds me of one of my favourite quotes from LOTR -by Gandalf:
.Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is on us for the succour of the years wherein we are set,uprooting the evil in the fields that we know so that those who live after can have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 04:35
I guess most of our teachers are finally free at last and now commencing their well-earned time off. Next Thursday will be my son's last day at his school.

Vicarcat, it sounds as if you certainly do stay busy, but I suspect you may be one of those high-energy folks who likes it that way. I used to be A bit like that myself, before I got old, sick and worn out.
As for your wondering about punks and gothics, I also wonder what draws apparently once normal kids to that stuff. Actually, I don't understand why people follow fads of any kind. Nowadays I see people with pierced body parts and large tattoos of crucifixes or fish, demonstrating how different fads have come together and now even include religion. I guess people are free to do what they want, but none of that is for me. If I end up with any stains or holes in my flesh, it will be from some painfull accident, I can assure you.

I'm afraid y'all know me too well, Mith and MT. I don't think I could fool either one of you by dropping my pencil or my sword, although I'm still likely to try. Eve would not have had to tempt me with the forbidden fruit because I would have already been eating it.
As for me returning to school and being one of your pupils, MT, I'm pretty sure some of our FoFer's would say "Yes, please, by all means, take that man and re-train him!" I would gladly do it, just so I could get hugs and reap the visual rewards, but remember what they say about tigers and trying to change their stripes! You might just end up with the same ol' incorrigible Swabby, only one who has better manners and knows all the words to "John-Jacob-Jingle-Heimer-Schmidt".
Have A great weekend! Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 10:35
MT, the beach sounds wonderful. My hubby won't often go to the beach and not because he is shy, lol! You and I would certainly have fun together. We could take the ferry or Jet Express over to the islands and have loads of fun.

It has been a bit cool by the lake here although it is supposed to get warmer. This area gets lots of tourists and seasonal residents beginning this time of the year. Big difference in traffic and lines at the stores.

Awelyn, the swelling is down and my foot is feeling much better today. It had to be all the prayers and kind wishes from my friends here. Although I do love your idea of a King/Healer, Neenime. He would most certainly take my mind off any pain!

Did some cleaning/organizing and found out a friend of neighbors was holding a yard sale this weekend so was able to unload lots of stuff there. It is amazing how much "stuff" we accumulate.

Swabby, I agree, you couldn't fool us shield maidens. And although we may be free with our swords and a bit carefree, we are ladies...although you must use caution around those of us who wield a sword. I was rather surprised you don't have a tattoo, always thought that was a sailor thing.

Vicarcat, would help you with the food bags if I could. No wonder you fit in here so well with your generousity and kindness.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, everyone!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 12:47
I would like to join you in the battle against "Mordor", vicarcat. Service to others is surely the way to fight that battle. I try to do what I can in my part of the world. Each of us doing what we can, where we can does make a difference, I believe. Blessings to you for your leadership and servanthood.

No tatoo, swabby? That doesn't seem right for you not to have one. I've got a hankering for an LOTR inspired one. Just gotta come up with the $ and "gumption" to git-r-done. Hey, I bet you could sketch something out that looks great. I may have to comission your talents (drawing talents, that is, as I know that you have many to offer).

Beach babes as well as shieldmaidens, Mith. I bet us FoF gals could have quite alot of fun on the beach. Will be thinking of you all as I walk along the shore,admiring the sights and smells while constantly on patrol for "the" ranger.
Bwoop, bwoop,bwoop-ranger alert!! All shieldmaidens at attention. Get the rope! Put on the lipstick! Attention!! :heart:

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 01:19
Yep, it's true, the Swabster has no tattoo. I'm as unblemished as the day I was hatched, except for A few molds and scars.
Here's A hot tip for you Ranger hunters, they really love warg fat stew with lots of big blubbery blobs of fat floating in it. (Works every time) hehe, hehe.:evil: Swabby
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 03:06
Wheeooo...made it to the weekend with doing any diabolical things to the orklings. Seven days left...give me strength.

Swabby, MTMS, and Mith, you know they say the size of a man's uvula is reflective of other things.....couldn't resist.

Mith, I hope Shelob didn't attack your foot. We've got scads of spiders down here in the southern part of the Buckeye state. I spend half my cleaning time (which isn't much) running the swiffer around the ceiling catching the little critters.

Gee, Swabby, no tattoo? I was imagining the skull and crossbones or at least MOM. My dad was in the navy and had an anchor. (Short stint: they found he was 15 and sent him home. He had just enough time to get to Hawaii, develop appendicitis, and get a tattoo. That was his extent of action in WWII. Which is probably a good thing considering it was the summer of 1941. I might not be typing here today.)

I am listening to The Sil on CD. End of the school year present. It's working out much better listening than reading.

Sindy

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 03:30
Hi everyone and thanks for the kind words!

Would Beef Stew do for Ranger bait? We don't have Wargs in the PNW the Sasquatch ate them all... I think is was one of those Sasquatch group hunts
to take out Orcs in the forest... whatever it was we are solely lacking in Wargs
to fill our stew-pots. so out here we use Cows and occasionaly Deers...

It is raining out here so I'll only get 2 miles in on my walk tonight.

I'll keep an eye out for unemployed Dwarves for the underground...
most of the Dwarves I run into are over-employed and looking for apprentices
so I pick up the occasional Halfling when I can.
Humans and Half-Elves are easier to find then Dwarves here...

Have fun at the beach or where-ever you spend your weekend...

Hi ho hi ho its off to work I go... :rolling:

Hmmm what do Dwarven Rangers get per hour? Or do they go for a flat yearly salary not including the found they might stumble upon?
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 06:12
I went out for an early morning ride before it got too hot and checked out A couple of garage sales. I wasn't really planning on buying anything, but couldn't resist the black leather jacket for 10 bucks and the small drill press for five. I already had A nice brown "Bomber" leather jacket, but now I have A spare. In keeping with all my other Bohemian ways, I don't try to dress for the "biker look" and am often amused by those who do, but leather jackets are functional because of their ability to protect one's hide from road-rash and their wind-resistance. Anyone with the money can buy A Harley and all the biker-appropriate attire, but that doesn't make them A biker. I see the "wannabes" all the time who confuse "image" with reality. I mean, I could dress up like A cowboy and ride A horse, but I would in no way BE A cowboy. Wierd, aren't I? No tattoo for similar reasons, plus some ideas about what art is, how it should be displayed, and then religious ideas about the body being the temple of God and how he/she probably wouldn't appreciate graffitti on the temple. As I've said before, though, I don't try to make others adhere to my beliefs. Swabby's Saturday morning sermon has now concluded. Please put seashells, pretty rocks and bloomer pics in the collection plate as it passes by you.

I'm afraid red meat will not work very well for the Ranger-attracting stew, Vicarcat. You see, there is red meat and white meat, but Warg meat is that third and very rare "purple" meat. You could try to fool the Rangers by using red cow or deer meat that has been soaking in some blue food coloring, thus turning it purple, but without that distinctive warg twang to it, you could find yourself in big trouble with some angry Rangers. Perhaps, since the Sasquatches have been eating the wargs, you might flavor your stew with A little sasquatch bath water, that is if you can get one to take A bath. As I'm sure you know, they are very shy creatures and will only take A bath if you get in the tub first and make some soft quacking sounds while putting on your best "come hither" look.
Any way you look at it, Vicarcat, it's going to be tough coming up with some good Ranger bait. You might consider giving up on Rangers and just go trolling for hobbits with A small cart full of sausages, toasties and longbottom leaf. You'll catch your limit of those in no time, and you might even get an ocassional dwarf or river person. Swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 12:22
Mith, I am so glad your foot is better.

Hi Sindy so good to see your post. I had two uncles that served in the navy and neither one of them got a tattoo also. They did not see the need.

All points bulletin out for Rose,OTB,HT,Balrog. This gang was last seen making their way to the Prancing Pony. Be on the lookout they are armed and dangerous. We don't have a description yet but one breathes fire. Well, Rose on occasion does breathe fire it's the dragon in her you know.

My husband has surgery June 2nd on both knees and ladies you know how men are with pain. Actually he has been handling it really well but I am still having to do so much more because he can't oh well Cele'Le Vive.

I have cleaned the pool and have been swimming and I will swim again later. I have declared this Barbara's what ever I want to do day. Yeah right. I have got to do some things I wanted so I should stop complaining. Sorry. It is a beautiful day. It is around 90 with a nice wind and a sunny sky. I have to start making me a list because I am getting lazy. I am a list person. It helps me work.

Swabby ,Vicarcat would rather it be Elves instead of Hobbits. What a good deal. I love bargains. I knew that about leather but some people just think it is for looks. I saw a line of riders today and for a minute my heart started beating faster because I thought it might be you Swabby. Then reason took over and I realized the distance would have been to great for you. I looked a mess anyway. I would want to look acceptable for my FOF friends.

Vicarcat if I get to my son's this year maybe I could come and see you. It would be great to see another FOFer.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 02:01
Awelyn let me know where your son's place is and I'll put it on my to do list
for summer...
Also I will put your hubby on the prayer list [6/02/06 for surgery right?].

As for Leathers I prommised Timberwolf that I show him a photo of Elven
Leathers tonight... I suppose he'll want me to make them for him!

I have laid out Spicy Lambas as bait for Elven Rangers, but all I seem to get
is Wood Elves and the occasional Garden or Street Elf...
I keep running into what appears to be Half-Elves or maybe just short
Wood Elves and seem to be missing the Dwarves totaly [they are probably on
the road for the weekend]...
I think I shall give up on the Human and Dwarven Rangers for now and
just work with those Lorien is sending my way...
I planted 2 volunteer tomato plants I got from a Garden Elf this afternoon
and we talked about what it would take to make Portland into Rivendell...
I know the elevation in Portland is to low for Rivendell but we could make
it nice here, something closer to Lindon would be good...

OK so I dream big but I do make parts of that dream time in real time..

Will get garden photos to share, after finals... :twitch: [ sigh] have to study
tomorrow [no rest for the wicked]... still, raining so I won't get much more
then 3 miles in on my walk today...

That's all for now will update later after nightwatch. :cheers:

[Edited on 29/5/2006 by vicarcat]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 02:22
Mae Govannen, all.:cheers:

I see that you've all been busy with gardening projects, recovering feet (foots?), Ranger-baiting and yard "saling". I don't dare do the latter as I would surely pick up way too much stuff. Especially old jewellry and books.

Perhaps our missing friends (Balrog, OTB, et al) are out in their gardens. I hope they're having some fun.

I did some yard work this week, although I have to wear my mosquito-netting jacket that covers my entire head. I look like a Sasquatch, but it's the only way to not be eaten alive by mosquitoes and black flies. The latter are worse, as you can't hear them coming. At least mosquitoes (jokingly referred to as our province's official bird), give us enough notice that we can swat them.

I'm tired today. Had a tough time settling to bed after last night's 4-hour dress rehearsal for the sacred dance recital. I thought I'd reduce my stress leve by not performing this year. This meant not attending 2-3 rehearsals each week for about a month. Hah! Instead, I got myself recruited as stage manager. So my head was swimming with details about entry/exit and musical cues .Oh well, I took good notes and I am sure that all will go well on Tuesday night.

It's such an inspiration to watch (and do) sacred dance. In the old days, it was just hymns and official-type sacred songs. But our director is very versatile and open-minded in her spirituality. We have danced to a Japanese prayer, a Tibetan Buddhist prayer (to Tara), an Islamic blessing, awesome Caribbean Jesus-Rock and several Native prayers. We even dance to secular music with a spiritual theme - Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" by k.d. lang, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and two pieces from the LOTR soundtrack.

Well, off to fnish my chores and do some reading .

Say - has anyone checked out The Da Vinci Code yet?

[Edited on 28/5/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 03:51
I think I saw some elves today at the beach, vicarcat. There were 3 of them sitting together admiring the sand and waves. (The water was a most beautiful blue/green today.) One of them had long,dark hair, almost to his waist. Another had brown hair to the middle of his back. The other had much shorter hair but all were quite attractive to look at. I guess they are Teleri, since they were at the beach.

No ranger did I find. Guess I wasn't using the right bait.

May have found my soul sister, as I heard a little girl tell her mom ,"This place is heaven!" My sentiments exactly! (even without a ranger, it's paradise)

Love the look, feel and smell of leather. You are right about it's functionality, swabby,especially on a motorcycle. Saw some nice bikes (kind with motors) with all sort of extras on them. My "Motorcycle fever" is getting worse! Hopefully I won't get out of my car and jump on the back of some unsuspecting cycle-rider, thinking he was swabby who was there to give me a ride!

Hubby getting both knees done at once, awelyn?? I'll be praying for BOTH of you. Sounds like you'll have the Houses of Healing going on up close and personal.

Speaking of healing, how are you, Mith??

Love the idea of dancing for God, neenime. I love dancing, so making it an offering seems so right to me. Hope you get some rest soon.

Missing you OTB, Rose and HT. Hey, I thought I saw a puff of smoke over there. Rose, is that you? HT may have found the correct formula for ranger bait and landed one. Remember that it's nice to share, dear! I think OTB is off in the woods looking for Sasquach-the better to make ranger bait with,my dear.

Hang in there for this last bit of craziness, sindy. Freedom is delicious!!! :disco: Think I am going to indulge myself a little bit longer and take care of some of my wants and needs. Now where is that OTB with my ranger bait material???

MT
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 07:06
Hi everyone.

This balrog has hobbled back into the Prancing Pony. She has been through the ringer lately. Nevermind being thrown down a hole in Moria. Been there. Done that. Been a hard week and a half. Work has been really busy so when I get home I don't want to do anything. Not even put the computer on. Then when I have days off, I relax in front of the TV playing a new video game I got for my birthday.

We started to train a new girl in the deli. She will be taking over my evenings. Yeah!!!!!!!! :disco: No more working nights. I can come home in the night when the sun is still up.

Sorry to hear about the wedding, awelyn. Things will work out but be there for your daughter. Her time will come when she will need her mother most.

Happy belated Anniversary, neenime. I, too, would have celebrated 25 years if I still was married to my first husband.

Right now I'm fighting a headache, so I will bow out for now and be back next week.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Namárië
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 04:14
Balrog's deli is A tightley-run ship
she toasts with fire and slices with A whip
When customers gripe and moan and chide
She smites their ruin on the mountain side

The fairest Shieldmaiden who walks on Gulf beaches
puts knowledge in the heads of the youngin's she teaches
Her sword is sharp and her shield is shiny
so you goblins and orcs better watch your hiney

Up near the big lakes in A house in the pines
lives the Shieldmaiden who's known as Neenime
A master of minds and A maker of eggs
she loves to dance on her beautiful legs

Vicarcat, Vicarcat, where is your lair?
May I come and visit you there?
Please turn on your Holy Grail sign
so in the dark night your refuge I'll find

Another shieldmaiden and expert at jellin'
is the always big-hearted and lovely Awelyn
Did your bungee chord snap? Were you malled by A bear?
go see Awelyn, believe me, she cares

The traveling shieldmaiden who moves all the time
is delightful and pretty (I'd say she's FINE!)
If she could just learn to juggle bananas
I'd be A big monkey and wear pink pajamas

Now I have rhymed all that are here
for those I have missed, so sorry my dear
if you'd like to be written in one of my rhymes,
try writing A post from time to time.

Swabby

Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 04:53
Peers through the mist
And the wind, and the rain.
FoFers are missing.
Not lost, just ... delays.
But wait!! From the east
thru a summery haze,
a speck in the distance.

Is it a bird, or is it a plane?

No, it's Dracella, a dragon insane.

:wave: Snowed under with work, and decorating, and more work....even brought some work home with me. Not a good recipe for relaxing.

You are all never far from my thoughts.

Take care all and when things ease up, I'll join you by the fire for a glass of wine, conversation and a welcome rest. :love:

Byeeee

Rose/Drac xxx
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 05:41
Hello all!

My Internet time has been somewhat limited lately, and when online, I've been in the lurking mode quite a lot. But, I'm still around.

Good to hear that your foot is better, Mith.

Neenime, that sacred dance recital sounds great. Why couldn't we use dance as a form of praise?

MTMS, cheers for spotting the elves on the beach! It really must be a lovely place, if the little girl thought that way too.

Balrog, I'm glad that you'll get someone else to take over the evening shift from you. Hope your headache won't last long. et:

And, more Swabby poetry...

I've bumped into OTB elsewhere so, he's still around, probably just hasn't time for every site every day.

Have a nice Sunday, everybody!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 06:39
HI Rose :wave: glad to see you swoop by. Hey, Balrog hang in there and take good care of yourself. If only we FoFers could grab metaphorical shovels and dig you out from under all that "snow". Maybe we can send snow-clearing vibes **OHMMMMMMMMMMMM

Thanks again for more anniversary greetings. My darlin and I had a lovely weekend, despite unco-operative weather.

Swabby what an great poem! Made me chortle with joy! I'll think of you when I dance.

Why couldn't we use dance as a form of praise?
Had never heard of such a thing in the church where I grew up. Oh, there were pre-Christian line dances (called "hayilky) done at Easter but somehow we I didn't equate them with prayer.

There is something powerful and amazing about lifting up your hands and heart literally to the Creator. The thrill and beauty of it run right through my body, whether the feeling is joy or anger or sorrow. One of dances we did in the past was HYMN TO HOPE (music by a Scandinavian couple - album is SECRET GARDEN). I cried every time I danced it and people watching do, too.

I'll tell you a secret - in this age of ruinous and oppressive pressure to conform to a certain body type, people (especailly women) of every size, shape, colour and proportion feel beautiful when they do sacred dance. You don't have to be built like a ballerina, nor does it require any amount of technical skill. Just being good enough to be ourselves, as we were created is what it's all about. Honestly, it doesn't get any better than that for me.

Dance may just be my salvation.:love:

BTW, there is a theory that dance and percussion were the original forms of worship. Sadly, some religions have had a very uncomfortable relationship with the human body, so wiggling about in worship has come to be equated with sexuality and inability to control animal impulses. :rolling: Instead, we are to control ourselves and suppress body with mind and spirit. The Southern Baptists had the right idea, in terms of rockin' on with passion and joy.

Anyway, on the dance theory, read WHEN DRUMMERS WERE WOMEN . I forget the author's name.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 08:19
All points bulletin out for Rose,OTB,HT,Balrog. This gang was last seen making their way to the Prancing Pony. Be on the lookout they are armed and dangerous. We don't have a description yet but one breathes fire. Well, Rose on occasion does breathe fire it's the dragon in her you know.

Hi gang!

I have been reading all the posts but haven't had much to say but it is nice to know my absence was noted. I haven't got my Ranger yet I think chocolate would probably work as bait but I keep forgetting and eating it instead!

My bothers (3) are all into motor bikes and have all been to the Ilse of Man TT races several times. With the 2 older ones I grew up with them and their biker friends hanging around, motor bikes in the back garden ...and sometimes in their bedrooms and when they were on their way back from the TT listening out with my mum for the sound of bikes in the distance. The mums would phone other mums when a load of boys got back safe. I was too young to realise that bikes could be very dangerous even though my eldest brother broke his leg once coming off his bike. The eldest is still into vintage bikes Nortons and the like rather than the America icon the Hog.

Hope everyone is coping with life - Awelyn and Rose my thoughts are with you.

Swabby you are as always a treasure and a joy and I hope you never change.

Love and Hugs

HT:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 09:04
Swabby, you are truly a delight. Thank you for the kind words sir.

Rose , I am so glad to see your post. I am sorry you are so bogged down with work and the stresses of life. It will get better. Do you have a vacation coming up?

HT, life can get so involved and complicated at times. I really do understand.

Balrog bless your heart. You are not just tired you are weary. Get some rest. You need to relax so my suggestion is lavender scent ,in candles or a bath or lotion. Lavender is so calming and relaxing. We were taught that at a seminar I went to on preschool children and techniques you use to bring order to a class room. Lavender hand wash and lavender scents because we can't use candles. So,try that as you are playing your games.

Neenime,We have used dance as a form of praise and worship at my church for years. It is very moving. I have been moved to tears on many occasions. We use it in form of pageantry of praise. We did one that would hearld the arrival of King Jesus and I would cry. I was in the dance group for two years. The king one reminds me of the ROTK and the pageantry of the elves.

Morwin everytime you FOFers say lurking it remings me of Bill Ferny's company and the Black Shadows. Glad you are able to post and that you are still around

Vicarcat he lives in Pasco, Washington and I will let you know if and when I get to come.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 09:54

The fairest Shieldmaiden who walks on Gulf beaches
puts knowledge in the heads of the youngin's she teaches
Her sword is sharp and her shield is shiny
so you goblins and orcs better watch your hiney

Swabby

Better watch out for yours as well swabby! Actually, I love the poem and think you've got us pretty well figured out. But you left yourself out. Anyone like to add a few lines about the swabster???

Don't let the ocrs get to you, balrog. I may have to come up there and "vanquish" them with my shiney sword. Like awelyn suggests, take it easy. We miss you but want you to take care of yourself first. I'm glad that you'll be home more nights now. A lovely lavendar bath sounds like something a ranger might like...(ranger bait, or at least something to relax you).:love:

Now I see one of the reasons HT may be partial to rangers-she "hung out" with bikers in her youth. The love of leather, chain-mail and long hair can begin in the early years. Bet you got lots of rides too. Lucky duck.

I echo your statements about dance, neenime. I forget how I look and express my deep feelings of joy, sadness, contentment with my body. Some friends and I are going to do a moonlight dance to some Celtic music and LOTR soundtrack when we get together in a week or so. Can't wait!!

Hope things ease up for you a bit, Rose. It seems that we're either too busy or not busy enough. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground. I'm wishing that you find a little. :hug:

I'd go nuts with limited internet access, morwin. Believe I do most of my communicating by internet. I'd certainly miss you all and not be my usual self.

Got Tool's new CD, mith. Going to listen to it in a bit. Gonna do it before hubby comes home from work, cause I'll have the windows rattlling!! May even have to do a bit of that dancing. :disco:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 07:39
Hmmm...

Quote:

Vicarcat, Vicarcat, where is your lair?
May I come and visit you there?
Please turn on your Holy Grail sign
so in the dark night your refuge I'll find

Swabby

Now about location...

Its over the hill and very far away.

Friends are always welcome at my place but
like the Cottage of Lost Play it is small in size.

No grail here but I've a Flaming Sword that might show up at night...

Refuge yes we have that...
looking at all the creatures as they watch me type...

Was I suppose to limit it to two legged people?
Ah well, Rangers have their horses...
and Elves the companions that adopt them [they pick us not vice versa].
Not sure what Dwarves have...
but some Humans favor large dogs big enough for a Hobit to ride...
the Hobits themselves like ponies named Bill or Bob or Betty...

Sigh sounds like I need a big house, ' will work on it later...
meanwhile I'm in a studio at the foot of the West Hills in Portland Oregon...

Just look for the grove of Century old Elms in the Blocks South Parks,
Follow the Finches up the hill take a left by the Oaks not the Larks...
Up the courtyard you go and a big door you see,
In the box on the left punch #003...
A bell will ring in my place and out I'll zoom,
And lead you all down the hall to my room.

Six lines of drivel to prove "I Haven't Bought The Farm" Yet!
Yes it's true "Cat Wants To Buy The Farm!"
No that is not bungee jumping without a cord,
just getting a plot to plant a forest on...

Tomorrow I make 5 collages and wish college was over for the summer...
2 weeks left then freedom til St. Michael's Day...

Hmmm do Friendly Balrogs like lavender?
Maybe I should plant some in the garden..
Never know when an allie might need a bit of R&R...

It's Rose Festivel time here so I'll take a walk on the waterfront in the evening
to gawk a bit no money to buy so I'll do it geek-style...
with a and a wish that all is well... :wave:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 02:33
Some friends and I are going to do a moonlight dance to some Celtic music and LOTR soundtrack when we get together in a week or so. Can't wait!!

Cooool! Wish I could dance with you. Maybe I'll dance when I do my full-moon ritual next month. Oh darn, I'll be in a big city at my mother-in-law's. No place to dance in private because it's a small house with too many neighbours packed in close. Maybe I'll find a room inside the house when others have gone out for while.

Well, then best not wait for the moon. Wil do some daancing at home while I have the luxury.

I see that vicarcat has been bitten by the poetry bug, too. What creative bunch we all are.

Well, off to work, then. Have a good day all.:wave:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 03:27
Swabby the sailor has too many thoughts
and too many words to say than he ought
his ribald tales from his youthful years
are much too salty for some people's ears

The lovely young Morwin with her movie star face
is A special shieldmaiden of exceptional grace
she posts all my drawings and laughs at my jokes
so I must announce, " she's my kind of folks!"

Up Scotland way in Edinburgh town
the fair shieldmaiden, HT, is found
of chocolate Rangers and more, she writes
her wisdom and wit are A sheer delight

No dragons we've had for A terrible long time
no smoke or fire or presence sublime
then out of the blue, A dragon she came
but paused only seconds and blew one little flame

Neenime, you asked about "The Da Vinci Code". We saw the movie yesterday and I enjoyed it. Some had said that it was tedious and boring, but I didn't think it was boring at all. A little tedious, yes, and I'll admit that I didn't always have A good grasp on the details, but it was good entertainment and food for thought.

I wish I could've seen those races at the Isle of Man, HT. As A long-time Norton owner and British motorcycle enthusiast, I am very aware of those legendary races.

Today is A holiday here in the US, (Memorial Day) and the air will be thick with the smokey smell of barbecue grills in A few hours, as is the tradition. Holiday or no holiday, I hope you all have A great day. Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 05:57
Swabby, you're really flattering me by calling me "young".

Neenime, Awelyn, and MTMS, the biggest churches here do have quite a negative attitude toward dance; especially some conservative revival movements regard it as sinful and unsuitable for a believer. So, I'm actually quite amazed that some fairly conservative (at least as far as I know) churches like the Southern Baptists "rock on", like Neenime said. MTMS, I wished that I could be there doing dance improvisations to the LOTR soundtrack with you and your friends - hope you'll have a great time!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 08:57
Hi guys

A wee limerick for our favourite sailor...

There was a young fella called Swabby
Who had an unusual hobby
On his pc each night
To shield maidens he’d write
Their opinions he’d frequently lobby

There isn't that much that rhymes with Swabby and being Scottish the J word that would work has scatalogical meanings here!

Love to you all

HT:heart:
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 11:39
Swabby, I'm feeling slighted here...omitted from your poetry!!!! I know just the band of 140 slavering, screaming orklings :evil::evil::evil::evil: (14-16 age range; you know the species.) :evil::evil::evil::evil:to send your way so I'd batten down the hatches and beware! They could be coming over the hill at any time and you'll be up to your eyeballs in drama that could make Jerry Springer weep and Dr. Phil give up in despair!

Hope everyone had a restful and relaxing long weekend. Time to put the tater salad and baked beans and hot dogs and watermelon away until the Fourth of July.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 12:27
I guess I'd better handle this quick!

Scorned Shieldmaiden Sindy has an orkling teenage army
and threatens to send 'em down here to harm me
Light the beacons! Where's Gimli's box? Muster the Rohirum!
wear your armor made of algebra books, that'll sceerum!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 02:16
Yeeks!! Algebra books for armor just might send those teenage orcs heading for the hills, sindy. Hope they don't come MY way. Just got rid of a batallion of young orclings myself! Hope I can hide out for a while before I go back into the battle.

Nice poem, HT. You nailed it.

I will be thinking of you morwin, neenime (and all you other dancers) when I twirl, twist, bend and sway to the music of LOTR in the moonlight. I'll dedicate a dance to the fantastic folk at FoF. :disco:

I was encouraged to bring Ara-baby to Bilbo's restaurant in Kalamazoo with us Middle aged crazies. I think he'll fit right in. Already have plans to stop at a local peach market on the way to the moot in Michigan. Of course, Ara-baby will help me select the best basket of fruit. I wonder if the folks in Clanton,AL have ever heard of Ara-baby. Now's their chance to meet him. (Hope I remember my camera!)

MT
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email