<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VI
on: June 01, 2006 05:39
Hi everyone.

Well, the s**t hit the proverbial fan today. Everything at work has gone to the dogs. But I think everything will work out. We have one girl from another department coming over to help out. We are so short staffed in our department that we can't use up all the hours that are given to us. I am putting in a 32 hour work week. We have to get approval from the manager of the store to do this. But at least I'm not working 8 hour days. It takes a lot out of my knees. Hope everything calms down next week.

Happy Anniversary, MT. I know that if I was still married to my first husband, we would have celebrated 25 years at the end of this month. EWWWWWWW. :dizzy:

Isn't it nice to get away from the kids during the summer? I know when I was in school, I couldn't wait to go back. But being away from the teachers for the summer was great.

awelyn: Sorry to hear about the breakup. But he sure sounded like a chicken to break up that way. This makes him no man in my books. He should have at least had the guts to tell it to her face. She will get over it.

Nice to see some people. I haven't seen OTB around lately. Maybe we should send out a ranger to find him. He could have gotten caught by the orcs.

Well, I should go and get to bed early. Got an early day tomorrow.

Namárië
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 09:09
Infernal bugs....
2 places frequented by bugs military housing and university housing...
I am at PSU and I found out last month what a bedbug was...
Seems that last august someone moved in with a couch full of them.
I found out when some invaded my closet through a crack in the woodwork,
so now I set a bug bomb off once a month...

My worst nightmare is that the bedbugs are all shrunken Uruk-hai that will
resume their full size if gotten wet [then the war willl be on full time!] eeek....

Wish I'd been told last year I would have bombed the bedbugs out of existance!
Orcs I can negotiate with but bedbugs don't know about swords or war,
they just suck blood...

[OK I'm done with that rant!]

Rain again today and more tomorrow.
It was first thursday so my art class went to several galleries in the
Pearl District everything had price tags in the thousands...
My favorite was a bronze piece called Sentinel from 1966 cost $7,600 US.
I would love to own it and put it in the center of a bird bath under some
willow trees...

Congrats to MT! :heart:

Got three miles in today and wondered when others are going to update
their miles?
Seems with all the aniversaries and vacations folks are going places but not posting their miles or is it that walks on the beach don't count?

Ah well it is late and I've class in the morning... :yawn:

I hope everyone has a good weekend! :cheers:
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 02:08
Oooh boy!! I apologise that I simply can't remember everything everyone has said in their wonderful, witty, amusing and poetic posts. I am still inundated with stupid work, everytime I start to see a light at the end of the tunnel, some more rocks fall down. Grrrrr!!

I am just glad to see that the FoF is still bouncing along and I love you all. *group hug, group hug*. I just can't find the darned time to sit and chew the fat. Dang diddly dang!!

I'll be an old, well older...lol.. dragon by the time I get my head over this pile of paperwork and typing.

Oh, well, enough whittering.

I just want to say to you awelyn that it sounds like good riddance to bad rubbish and your daughter is well out of it!! Although she probably won't see it that way, or want to know. Better safe than sorry.

Vicarcat: I have to say I seemed to have missed saying hi to you. I find your posts most interesting.

Hugs to MT, HT, OT, Belle, Mith, Neenimeeeee, scots, balrog, and everyone else, and a special hug for our lovely swabs. :love:

Ooooh, I just remembered seeing 'tree hugging'. *jumps up and down* I am a tree hugger, yes indeedy. My significant other rolls his eyes and patiently waits while I ooh and aah over a tree and ask him doesn't he think it's beautiful. 'Yes' he says....'but it's just a tree!'

Well, after I close my mouth...lol....I have to hug the tree to make it feel better. *giggles*

Your grumpy Drac. :wave:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 02:31
Good to see everyone!

Balrog, I'm so sorry. I know what you mean about it hitting the fan. In her lameduck last couple of weeks before she leaves, my top boss has decided in her infinite wisdom to shuffle people around. Now, this entails having folks who have finally integrated into a team with their docs and coworkers and patients (as well as living pretty close to their work place) to clinics that are about 1/2 hr driving distance away. The reason for this? Supposedly in the name of "growth." Growth? Hah! Last year it was all about team-building. Now that has nothing to do with it. No real good reason for it, if you ask me.

*sigh* Sorry about the rant. None of the three folks involved are happy about it and neither are those we work with. Maybe after she's gone this will go away, but I don't hold out much hope. :cry:

Rose, I do love your dragons. I am a serious dragon lady (born in the year of the Dragon and have been fascinated by them).

Take care, all my FoF!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 02:49
Mith, I will trade you two of my secret recipes for A photo of MT with her wonder woman goggles on and holding the water bazooka. I may be A wizard gone wild, but it sounds to me like you all are going to be the "hot grannies gone wild". Will there be any dwarves allowed at your pool parties? Do you think anyone would notice A large cardboard box with some small holes in it?

The new yorkling orklings were acting like dorklings. Sorry, my mind is still playing with "orkling".

I got bitten up by bed bugs in the Philipines once. I'll incriminate myself if I tell if I tell you any more about that, but their bite isn't nearly as bad as A chigger bite. Chiggers and ticks think I taste like Popeye's chicken and would crawl A mile over smoldering cigarrette butts, broken glass and exploding bug bombs just to smell one of my tire tracks. I swear it's true. I went fishing one time and got 157 chigger bites. I had to scratch myself with A cheese grater.

I forgot to post my miles too, Vicarcat. I think I walked about 150......feet. It could've been more, though.

Balrog, if anybody gives you any static, you just give 'em A little blast from your furnace and crack that whip next to their ear.

Well, school is out and my son is sleeping late on this first day of his summer vacation. Guess I'll have to be quiet and discontinue my bug-bomb experiments for A while. Swabby

Belle and Rose posted while I was writing. A hardy "hello" to both of you!

[Edited on 2/6/2006 by swabby]
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 03:16
*tiptoes in, so as not to disturb swabby's son*

Eeuuuwwww, bed bugs. *shudders* I remember in 1976, when the UK basked in a heatwave, and I mean a heatwave, well ok for the UK, but it did last from the end of April until September.... anyway, the house we had not long moved into turned out to be infested by them. *shudders some more*. I woke up one night scratching and the bed covers and pillows were covered with them, and blood. We had to have the house fumigated. The company were very discreet though, no loudspeakers or vans with 'Bug Squad' emblazoned across the side. *grins*

Oh, my dear balrog, I am so sorry about your work situation. It makes you want to spit, don't it. Well chin up, stiff upper lip and all that. :love: Don't let the b*****ds grind you down, my friend.

Wow, twice in one day for me posting. *makes note in diary* lol.

*turns back to typing*

Have a lovely Friday everyone and a good weekend.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 03:45
:twitch: Okay, stress level rising just a bit! I have gotten my posting for next year. I am the official 7th grade language arts teacher at the middle school. *shiver* I've put on a brave face to the powers that be, but inside I'm quaking just a bit. I've been teaching 25+ years but always in small classes or schools. I think the largest class that I've had has been 15; now next year I'll have 115+ hormonally imbalanced, emotionally charged young adolescents. May the Valar, saints, gods, sprites, spirits, (did I miss anything??) preserve me! So now I'm searching for material to supplement what is there--which by the way is very sparse. Oh, after my many years of teaching I have tons and tons of teaching material. (You ought to see my little kitchenette. It's stacked high with all the boxes that I've moved from school and haven't put away yet. That's today's job) But unfortunately most of that material is not the subject I'll be teaching. Hmmmm. I guess I'll be "forced" to go on-line to the teacher stores and peer through my favorite catalogs to find new material. I guess it will be like Christmas this summer. Good thing I'm getting a hefty raise.

:twitch: Chiggers! I hate chiggers. But, I do have a remedy that makes them not so itchy and actually has helped me to get rid of them. Deodorant and clear nail polish. Yep, you heard me right. Either of them helps. It's something in the stick deodorant that helps dry them and get rid of the itchies. And I guess that putting on clear nail polish---you could choose a delicate shade to suit your fancy I guess; I'm just not a nail polish kind of a person so I choose clear---smothers the little suckers. I don't know about that, but I do know that it helps.

As for bedbugs, I haven't run across those here on the PoG fortunately. Now, they very well may be here, but I've just never seen them. Teaching has brought me in closer proximity than I ever want to with head lice. EEUUWW!! Now those are just NASTY!

Let's see. My job list today includes: weeding garden, putting mulch down, clearing out kitchenette of teaching materials, looking for teaching materials. I think I"d better run and hop to it.

Take care all.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 07:10
HI everyone. :wave:

Rose and Belle -I, too am a dragon-lover. I don't think I've ever told you that. At work, I have an awesome little pewter dragon holding one of those Swarovzki-type crystal gems. It holds by business cards in the space between its wings.

MT happy anniversary! I hope that you and your sweetie have many wonderful times to recall and re-enjoy as you celebrate.

And happy UN-anniversary to Balrog. I hope that things are better for you now (guessing by the image and comment you posted, I think that's so. Sure hope things get better at work for you.

Eowyn Challenge oops. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't posted in 3 weeks.

Scots wow- that's a horde of barbarians you'll have there. I hope you can manage to channel their energies with something like drama. It can give them a great outlet and it's great for the experiential learners.

MT asked about weather. My city is still in the temperate zone here, but we do get quite a range. Coldest in winter might get to -40 Celsius (that's about the same in Fahrenheit). Mind you, if there's a wind up, it makes the temperature seem at least 10-20 degrees colder. In June through August we can get up to 33Celsius (that's in the 90s), but usually hover in the 80's. Living near the world's biggest freshwater lake certainly helps to moderate temp., though. Southern Ontario is more like Boston and New York climate, I think , and perhaps Seattle.

Well, geography lesson (and lunch time) are done. Have to get back to writing my monthly report, then adapt a presentation I have to do in 3 weeks on the therapeutic use of dreams.

Namarie.
At this time of year, the temp varies around 60-75 F most days, but quite cool in the morning.:heart:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 10:37
I forgot to wish MT A happy anniversary. Happy anniversary MT! My first wife and I would've been married for 38 years had we stayed together. We were both entirley too wild.

Wasn't it great to get TWO visits from Rose today?

Who knows where Rose the dragon lady goes?
Could her lair be in the North, do you suppose?
Or from the South where warm breezes blow?
When she's gone for days, is she floating in some haze
far above the clouds, beyond our curious gaze?
Remember mighty Puff, how his green scales fell like rain,
and how he never came to play again, along the merry lane?
They said that mighty dragons were not for girls and boys,
but we are so much older now and love our favorite toys.
Dragons are just perfect, who cares what others say?
So come back Rose the dragon and liven up our day!

Neenime, you simply must come down here for A visit. I will take you large-mouth bass fishing in the nice southern heat and you can meet Mr Chigger, his wife Mrs Tick, their wonderful children, poison oak, poison ivey and their dogs copperhead and cottonmouth. It'll be fun, really. :evil:Swabby

<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email