Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VI
on: May 19, 2006 02:27
I'll not argue with you ladies who are inflating my ego by comparing me to Middle Earth hunks, but when I say that y'all are incredible hotties with awesome power over men, you'll accept it graciously, right?

I guess some of you are done with the school year today and will commence your searches in earnest for those elusive Rangers. Just so you'll know, I wear my hair and beard much shorter in the summer than I do in the cooler months, so I may be harder to identify.

Cheese is great, but I've had to limit my intake because of the cholesterol. I use it in moderation or else I use the low-fat kind, which usually isn't as good. They used to say that peanuts and peanut oil wasn't very heart-healthy, but I think they've changed their minds about that as of late. My dad always loved the foods that he had as A boy and seemed to never get tired of them. One of his favorites was sweet potatoes. He liked those so much that I remember giving him (instead of A cake) A baked sweet potato with A candle on it for his birthday one time. He also loved sorgum mollasses and, as you might guess, peanuts. I can remember sitting on his lap when I was little while he chewed up raw peanuts and then fed them to me. It sounds A little gross to me now, but back then I thought I was getting the royal treatment. Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 02:44
Swabby a sweet compliment is a lovely way to start my day! Speaking for myself, yes I don't mind at all being told that my aging, saggy, wrinkle-growing self is still hot. Especially while I work amidst all the cute chicks of college age. Of course I beieve it's all about "Inner Hotness" (Heat? Hottiness? whatever) :rolleyes: Thanks.

Scots I can imagine that you have mixed feelings about closing that chapter in your life. I hope that whatever sadness is there will be balanced by many heart-warming memories. May your new place accept you with open arms. :heart:

For the rest of you teachers, I hope that you will find the necessary energy to get through the hectic pace of year-end. I know the teachers in our dance group are fried. Mind you, they seem fried a lot of the time. ALways busy, lots of demands. Not a good sign in that sector of society.

For all of us , whether in human service industries or in other walks of life - my wish for you is that you will take good care of yourselves always. A very wise person (speaking of counselling and the like) said that the most powerful instrument we have is not the fancy techniques and clever approaches, but our personhood, our humanity. To make good music, that instrument needs to be regularly tuned and well maintained.

Smartest thing I've ever heard!

Namarie
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 03:51
Ok the rain is falling here and the sun went elswhere...
so I'll be walking in the rain for the next couple of days.

Still a bit goofy but in a more studious way.

I am wondering what folks thing an elven ranger would wear... [?]
I will post my idea of such on my webpage when I get the outfit finished...
I have a pair of soft armguards finished but haven't gotten the hard leather
for the belt, jerkin ect...
I have purchased both hard and soft leather boots as my leather skills are
not upto boot level yet... its the soles that I'm not good at yet.

I have classes for another three weeks then summer :rolling: .

I've to go to another meeting so will post again soon...

Hope everyones weekend is good!:love:

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 04:12
Sindy runs in quickly, carrying an armload of student papers and wearing a red pen behind each ear.

Just had to say hi!

Scots, sounds like you found some superbly aged Vermont white cheddar! Good for you, girl!

To Mith and MinasTirith, DH says Viggo has signed to do another David Cronnenberg film with Naiomi Watts (sp.)

Swabby, love you for the compliment!

runs out streaming papers...only 12 days left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 04:49
Much thanks for all of the nice things any of you have said about teachers. Do we really seem fried all the time? I hope not too often.
School is nearly done here in my part of Idaho and with only 1 week left, summer is looking like an ever welcome break. However, I would also like to state that as each special event that happens at the end of the year I breathe a sigh of relief that it went well.
Today was our annual Kindergarten Graduation and Elementary Awards Program. Over the years we have gone from plastic bag gowns and paper hats to real cloth gowns and mortarboards with tassles. We have found a way to recognize all of our students and we have been able to present a fine vocal concert for the parents all in just over 1 hour.
This year we added a new twist as we had spent the entire school year taking pictures of our delightsome little urchins at every function or event that occured. Our beloved principal then compiled this multitude of photographs, made sure everyone was in at least two, created a slide program which we then showed during our final songs of the concert. The parents were tickled with the chance to look at the growth of their children over the last year. The end of the slide program was particularly poignant as the last few frames showed the fifth graders (our exiting grade) looking back at the elementary school (the high school is in their background) and waving while the next slide showed the principal and fifth grade teacher waving to them. The last frame was the fifth graders headed for the Middle School/High School with their backs to the camera. It made us all cry!!!
In our little district of just over 100 students we have loved and nurtured most of these children for 6 years. They are like our own.

Well, I'll step away from the podium now and just say thanks to all of you at FoF for being here. It is a pleasure to read what you write, to share in your stories and to hear your advice.

To Neenime: You speak much sense and I like what you say. You are very wise.

To Scots: Can't wait to see you. Shireling and I wait impatiently.

Hugs to all,
Brandywine

Hope you all find those elusive rangers you seek.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 06:03
Thanks for the Ranger Alert, Sindy! May the red pencils soon be but a memory while you are soaking up some warm summer sun. :disco:
:cheers: Cheers for summer (or any) vacations!

Brandywine there is something so often lost these days that your school achieved....making everyone can feel special and a part of the event. It's refreshing to hear about it and know that still exists in today's busy and so often non-personal world.

Swabby, we do indeed love you and appreciate the fine compliment. Like Awelyn said, you could be a Rider of Rohan...riding on your motorcycle!

Neenime, you said it well about the inner hotiness being most important. And I liked what you said about taking care of ourselves.[/b]

It has been weird weather here this week. Rain with bits of sunshine every now and then. We even had some hail. Not many boats out aside from the Coast Guard..

Have been doing quite a bit of cooking since we're home and the hungry hobbit hubby needs fed quite often to keep him smiling.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :heart::love: :hug:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 03:09
Well, Brandwine by now Scots has been there and should be on her way home or home. I bet you had a great time. I know Scots was so excited about your visit. One more week until you are out for vacation so hang in there. I have always said teaching is a calling and not a job. I have seen women that thought it would be a good job because they would have the summer off but they did not really have the heart of a teacher. Consequently they were not good teachers and the students suffer. Every teacher I have talked to on FOF seems to have the calling to be a teacher.

Sindy,bless your heart. It is almost over for this year. Hang tight.

Swabby , I will take that compliment even when I feel like I am not so hot.

Mith, All that rain I bet the lake is very choppy. It has rained and all last week ii was cool and now yesterday it was 85 degrees. I am not complaining because I love to swim and my water has been very cold in the pool. So, I have been watching the sun on the water pretending it is a lake and thinking of you.

Vicarcat I can't wait to see your costume. You have many meetings but I guess that is the life of a priest.

Neenime I use to do some lay counseling years ago with a suicide and crisis phone line . My daughter's fiancee I feel has a personality disorder. He lies all the time. He explodes when he gets angry which is not very often. He can not make a decision on his own. He has to always have a relationship going. I have found out he broke up with his former fiancee and 4 weeks later proposed to my daughter. He had thought his former F had keyed his car and he got her out of class and cussed her out and threatened her. He was expelled from college and had to go to court. He just hates that girl now. I have talked to my daughter until I am blue in the face. I am afraid he will physically harm her. He has not called her in 2 days because of his brother's wedding. His family of course thinks he should not marry so soon after his other breakup so they will not meet my daughter. Any ideas on what I might say and I sorry this is so long. I am so scared and worried for her. I just needed to vent all this turmoil I am feeling.

Have a great weekend.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 06:24
Yikes, awelyn! That is not good. Perhaps rather than calling off the wedding, how about extending the date to a year down the road? It sounds like he rushed into asking her to marry and then actually doing it.

Also, it sounds like he is rather immature and has serious problems with impulse control. When you're young (speaking of your daughter), it's hard to admit and/or see the flaws in the one you have set your heart on. A longer engagement would give them more time to know each other and let her perhaps see more of them. Rushing into things is never wise, especially something so important as a committment that's supposed to be lifelong.

I fear this is why so many young people end up divorced today. They mistake the flush of chemistry for love and hurry to marry. I pray things work out for them, no matter what they choose to do.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 03:29
Old Swabby was doing his best Ranger imitation today, riding his chrome steed out in the 90 degree heat. I think I know how A chocolate Ranger might feel if he was left in the sun too long, as I was quite melted by the time I got back to A cool shade and was able to pry my sticky buns from the seat. I immediately stripped down to my chain-mail undies, drank A very cold Moose head, and have been chilling in the darkness of my ranger lair ever since. A younger Ranger would already be out and making merriment at the Green Dragon, but this old derelict will spend the evening licking his melted spots and hoping he'll re-solidify soon. Hey, I was cool while I lasted. Swabby
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 03:57
Awelyn Belle's suggestion of a long engagement sounds like the right course for your daughter and it would give her time to prepare for her new life....

Swabby I sympathize on the chocolate ranger situation,
as I just finished the vanilla (aka white chocolate) elf walking in the
urban forest (aka down town) sunglasses hunt.
They preicted rain but it's sunny and hot today.
It took some cold white grape juice and a homemade deli sandwich
to get me ready for tonights meeting...

Her's good thoughts for everyone :hug: !

Gotta go! :rolling:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 04:42
Awelyn, it has to be difficult to watch your daughter go through these times. Sometimes I think we mothers would rather go through the trials or pain ourselves than watch our children suffer. A long engagement does seem to be a good solution, providing they would consent to it. Otherwise, remember who raised her (your daughter) and trust that you have instilled the values in her that will guide her to the right decision. And of course, keep both of them in our prayers.

Swabby, be thankful you are not pure chocolate. The chocolate loving maidens would have their way and the chain undies would not even be safe. :naughty: You are much too loved and needed here. And you certainly racked up some points with your lovely compliment.

It was a beautiful sunny day today, although a bit cool most of the day by the lake. Good motivation weather. Hubby is expanding the patio. I try to avoid the area unless it is to gaze admiringly and offer praise for his incredible handiwork. :love:

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 06:03
I am sending prayers for discernment to both your daughter and to you awelyn. I pray that she sees the path that God is leading her toward at this point in ther life. The more I learn about this man in her life the more I think that marriage to him at this point would not be a wise choice for her.
As what to tell her, I suggest reminding her that you are there for her and are confident that she will do the right thing. In dealling with my own adult children, I don't tell them what to do, I offer support. Like Mith said, remember who raised her. She's got a good foundation to base her decisions on.
Feel free to vent . You can say things to friends that your daughter probably shouldn't hear. IM me if you need to. I'm here for you. Being a mom of adult children is sometimes more difficult than taking care of young'uns.

Heard about that new Viggo movie, sindy. Bet my dvd collection will grow a bit larger...at least by one.:heart:

Beware swabby! I will begin my hunt for elusive rangers in a few days. Someone suggested that I have a sack handy to put him in, but I don't think I'll need one. I'm going to practice my "look" and have him "incapacitated" until I can get a good knot tied in a rope around him.:love:

Swabby, the chocolate ranger,
took a motorcycle ride.
It was so hot and steamy
the seat was plastered to his hide.

All of the other rangers
left to party through the town.
Swabby, the melty ranger
had to cool his carcass down.

When the shieldmaidens came to call, swabby was not there.
But when they tracked that clinking sound,
they found his chaiin-mail underware.

Exhaustion has corroded my brain and caused neurons to mis-fire and insanity to rule my thoughts. I must leave now before I say anything else.

MT

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 01:32
Awelyn, I hope that you and your daughter can work the situation out. What you told about the young man really doesn't sound good. Belle's suggestion of postponing the wedding until next year, and seeing if they really are willing to marry after all, is definitely a good one.

Have a nice Sunday, everybody!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 02:55
Those who've encouraged you to hold off on the wedding if possible have given you good advice, and I second it, Awelyn. Of course we realize that you can only do so much, but if you and your husband really put your feet down and insist they wait, they'll probably either do as you wish or they'll break up. Either outcome is preferable to them rushing into A high-risk marriage.

Oh Mith, I think you nearly almost embarrassed me talking about my undies, and the salesman had me convinced that they'd protect me from orc attack as well as, umh umh, the other kind. I shall feel no less vulnerable if I just quit wearing the darned things, and I'll be A lot cooler. I am A Ranger, and I fear neither death nor minor injuries to my loin area.

I believe your Ranger-hunting method will prove successful, MT. Us sailors (yeah, I know, I was A Ranger A minute ago) understand the importance of A good knot. I lost A lot of mermaids before I learned to tie really good ones. And if you happen to snag one of those modern, pseudo-Rangers with all the body-piercing and such, they've already got some good holes for you to stick your rope through. When you've got A rope through someone's tongue or nose, they ain't getting off! They're just like fish on A stringer, and you can hook 'em to A stop sign and go off lookin' for more, no problem!
How about that terrific poem! Your corroded, neuron-mis-firing brain is quite creative, I'd say, MT. And how'd you know I'd slithered out of my chain-mail undies? Say, you don't have one of those tiny cameras hid around here some where do ya?
I gotta remember to start puttin' on me housecoat! Swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 03:00
When my daughter came to me and told me she was engaged I tried then to talk her into a year engagement as her older sister had but she flat out refused. I was talking to her last night about this situation. She rationalizes everything and she told me I am an adult you are just going to have to trust my judgment. I told her I was just concerned for her safety. The boy called and they talked for 2 hours. I will have to leave it in God's hands.

It has rained and thundered all night. It is cloudy today and rainy. My church was suppose to have a block party today. We have bar-b-q and games and entertainment for the neighborhood by our church. We may have to put it inside or postpone it.

MTMS, I loved the poem. You need some R+R girl

Mith , you are right it is very difficult to watch her make this mistake. All the joy now is gone from the wedding for me.

Thank you for the advice and prayers and good thoughts FOFer's
Have a great Sunday all.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 05:35
Oh Awelyn. I agree with the others. I would think it better to have her a little angry at you as you try to keep insisting they put it off a bit, than to see her suffer through an abusive marriage. You must be worried silly. I will keep you in my prayers. Stick to your guns about your concerns and maybe she will start to see more clearly.
It is true that there seems to be more concern for them when they are grown. At least when they are small, you can still tell them what to do.
My eldest son went through a bad marriage and I could kick myself that I didnt express my concerns more. We had such a bad feeling about her yet thought maybe it would work out and that we should keep our mouths shut. Big mistake.
We are thinking about you.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 06:13
I'm so sorry, awelyn. I remember being that age and indignant if anyone suggested I didn't know what I was doing (even if it was in less strong words and in my best interests). I wish I had a fix for the situation, but as others have said, there's only so much one can do. My heart goes out to you.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 03:28
Awelyn, I agree with everyone else and think you should have your say because then at least you can feel good about trying to make her think logically even though she will make up her own mind.

Swabby, please be careful out riding around in the noon sun. All that leather and chain mail....hhmmmmmm :evil:

Only twelve days left so I thought I'd add to my poem...

Twelve days left to remain sane.
Twelve days still to endure the pain!
Orkling exams are coming fast.
Summer's nearly here at last!

Elrond himself would throw up his hands,
Given this untamed orkling band.
Hormone high drama, we have a store.
Learning's not what their brains are for!

DH and I watched ROTK this weekend---started it last night and finished today. He's trying to keep me sane for the last few school days.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 04:29
Quick post here. I guess you could call it a drive-by posting. I'm online at my sister's house. Strange computers are like strange beds. Difficult to work on.

Anyway, I attended The Lord of the Rings concert this afternoon in Denver. It was, as expected, awesome. A 16 year old girl sang solos such as Gollum's Song and Into the West. She was amazing.

I haven't hit Brandwine's house as of yet. We leave for the hinterlands and Idaho tomorrow...arriving at Brandywine's on Wednesday. I am very excited to say the least.

Well, must fly. We're heading out EARLY tomorrow morning. Must have my beauty sleep. Yeah, right!
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 09:25
Scot56s; I wish you a good journey and a warm welcome when you get there!
We'll just have to wait for pics 'til after you come back...

Was sunny this morning and wet this afternoon.
Got my 4 miles in this evening puddle jumping with Timberwolf through
downtown Portland. That was after the evening meeting.
Thank God for Elven Rain Cloaks with Hoods...
I would have been as wet as Timberwolf [as in drowned rat wet] without
mine, as was we stopped for coffee to dry out half way to my house....

I have German class in the morning so I'd better go now... :yawn:
Work week ends class week starts on monday till summer then work/play...

[Edited on 22/5/2006 by vicarcat]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 02:37
vicarcat, did you send rain down my way? Heh... I awoke this morning at 3 a.m. to the sound of a downpour. Very unusual for this late in the year down here in San Diego. Unfortunately, what awoke me wasn't the sound of rain but a pounding sinus headache. My durned sinuses are like weather vanes. Let there be the slightest drop in the barometer and I have a hot poker through my left eye. Yeouch!

Should make work fun today. Not! At least I got my hubby's and my robes done on Saturday for the handfasting next weekend. Just hope it doesn't rain next weekend!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 04:16
That's A very good poem, Sindy. The line "Learning's not what their brains are for" is very reminiscent of something I wrote one time. I'd quote myself, but I've created enough tremors lately.

Let me tell you about weird San Diego weather. It was November, 1967, and A certain 19 year-old Arkansas kid was in San Diego getting his butt kicked, forced to eat green eggs and spam, made to do endless push-ups, etc in A place called the "Naval Training Center", otherwise known as "bootcamp". I should say, however, that it wasn't all physical training I received, because I was also learning many new, colorful words. Getting to the point, the day we were sent out into the nearby desert for fire-fighting training, it snowed. Yes, there we were, getting soaked to the bone with all the water-squirting that was going on, with no substantial shelter to protect us from the elements, and for the first time in 29 years, it snowed in San Diego. Already feeling forsaken by our parents and girlfriends, and headed for unknown destinies and A war in Indo-China, it was fitting, so I thought. Imagine our relief in the following days when no locusts or burning brimstone fell upon our bald heads. We went to "happy hour", where we got to do non-stop calisthenics and get heavy wooden scrub brushes thrown at us. We sucked "skid-marks" from our skivvies, got "frapped on the gourd" and found out what our mother's did when we weren't looking. Hey, it was all in good fun---they just wanted to see if we'd crack up or not. Sometimes we heard music coming from A radio and the songs were "Never my Love", "Give me A Ticket for an Airplane" and "Light my Fire". An old memory, still vivid. Swabby

[Edited on 22/5/2006 by swabby]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 01:46
No I didn't send the rain down there... someone from the western pacific sent
it east...
Was gray this morning and is partly cloudy this afternoon had to wear my
gray-elf raincloak out on my walk today...

A very soggy half-elf wondering about El Nino, and just who is playing with the
storms anyway? :blush: :dizzy: Gives me a heqadach trying to feel who
is behind the storms... OK so I should'nt reach that far but the weather shifts
are not right and I am annoyed.

I hope the weather settles into its normal pattern soon.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 03:30
Hope you're having lots of fun on your trip, scots. Give brandywine an FoF hug for us all. :hug:

German class, vicarcat? That's something I'd like to do, learn German and a few other languages. I love french and would probably use a little german with son and his family in the Netherlands.

The end is in sight sindy!! :disco: :cheers: You can make it.
Tomorrow is the last full day with the children for me. We'll pack up everything and take it home. Memory books will be the highlight of the day. Today was bubble day and the kids had a blast with the bubbles and writing about where their bubbles went. My brightest child told me that he was glad that he's been in my class this year. Kinda made my day!

As a small-time sailor around the bay, I too, know the importance of a well-tied knot, swabby. Bowlines are pretty easy, but I may have to use a Dennis-the-menace knot to hold my ranger.
Wait a minute! Why would I have to tie my ranger up? Wouldn't my charms be enough to endear himself to me??? (guess I'd better check to see that my rope is long enough)

And do be careful. I do have a web-cam, but it's to see my son and grandchildren in the Netherlands with. My cousin became a bit worried when she saw the camera atop my monitor..thought I'd gone nuts and was "broadcasting my charms" for all to see. No, I am the keeper of the Granny-cam and Granny don't show her bloomers!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 03:05
Wow, awelyn I'm so sorry for the trouble in your family. Postponement and counselling seem the only sensible options. Your daughter needs to understand that she CANNOT make him better with the strength of her love. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! He will bring his issues into the relationship in a way that will hurt both if them. And her fiancé needs serious help with emotional management. (See detailed PM reply).

Prayers for all of you.:heart:

Our weekend away was not quite what we expected. When we got to our overnight place it was c-c-c-c-ccold! There was a forecast of snow, for goodness' sakes! Our hiking got rained out but we managed a little bit and had a nice evening together. The next day we opted against travelling further away to the park we wanted to visit, having removed our snow tires some weeks before. The roads in that section are very hilly and potentially treacherous in slippery conditions.

Instead, we hiked closer to home and had a great time. Then yesterday was warm enough to do gardening in shorts! Now that's May long weekend a Canadian( and Commonweatlh?) holiday in honour of Queen Victoria's birthday .

Welll back to Mines of Moria. take care all. :wave:

[Edited on 23/5/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 12:02
With the crazy way our weather is acting, I guess we can all be thankful that we get A pleasant day ever now and then. We're having unseasonably hot weather here in the Arkansas/Oklahoma area. I live right near the state line, and some people call this area "Arklahoma".

I used to be an excellent hiker, Neenime, but A clogged blood vessel in my left leg has put an end to that. I wish I could still go for those long treks in the woods, though. As I'm sure you must know, we should never take those little things for granted.

MT, now you know I'm A lusty sort of Ranger/sailor/biker/artist/poet, and now you've got me thinking about those bloomers. My son has one of those webcams also, and I'll show you my gall bladder exit wound and my arrowhead collection if you'll just give me one little peak at those bloomers. What say ye? Swabby
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 02:30
Ah Swabby, wish I could do something for that blood clot.
I've a girl friend whi has a bloodclot in her back that's giving her siatic nerve
problems... she's going to the doctor on 6/13 to see if she has to have an
operation as the clot is close enogh to the spinal cord to go up to the brain...
I'm hoping all goes well for her this summer... :angel:
Any chance yours might be disolved or removed?
I would love to see you doing better..:heart:
Rain here and I've another class in an hour so I've to go... :rolling:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 03:34
Neenime, thank you so much for the detailed Pm. I have a hunch he is going to break it off. He keeps telling her he is not good enough for her. I think he wants her to break it off so he won't feel guilty So, he will do things to make her angry.. He has started drinking every night and it fits that pattern I was talking about. Thanks for some great advice. I am having so much stress I broke out in hives last night. My daughter will not listen to me she has shut me out and said if she has to she will go to the court house and get married. So, I am just trying to stay calm and not push her.

Swabby I bet if you had gone to catholic school the nuns would have hit your hand with a ruler many times you naughty thing. :naughty: The nuns at our school still do that no offense vicarcat.

MTMS, I use to have to wear bloomers with my P.E. uniform they were so ugly. Yuck :nono: Oh that is so sweet,what a sweet boy.I bet it really made your day.

Vicarcat, your poor friend. How awful.

It was so pretty today. I dipped my feet in the pool the water was cold but invigorating. I can't wait until this weekend.
Have a goodnight.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 03:55
MTMS and Sindy great poems! A pleasure to share your creativity and good humour.

Bloomers?! AAaaaargh! I had to wear those dag-blasted horrors in high school. *oh, having flashbacks* It's a wonder that the young men who saw us in those things didn't get turned off for good. Our friend swabby certainly suffered no damage!
A testament, no doubt, to the power of hormones!

Awelyn I pray for healing for your poor, stressed body. *sends waves of calm ..........* Geez, that strong-minded daughter of yours must have had some major protective instinct triggered by this situation. Let's hope she turns some of that power on herself.

scots so glad you enjoyed the symphony. Was Howard Shore conducting?

TTFN - bed time for this Hobbit.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 10:18
Awelyn time to turn that stress into sheer determination. She will certainly be angry with you now, but if you can get your daughter to think about it, she will later thank you. Neenime is right, she wont be able to change him.
Scots oooh tell us all about the symphony. I would love to go sooo much. It is going to be in Glasgow in June, but I'll be taking my daughter to Spain for a few days for her 17th birthday just a few days before and I wont be able to afford to go to Glasgow right after. I bet it was amazing.
Swabby cant something be done for that bloodclot? I would go for it if there is. Seems scary to know its there, and to not be able to go for long walks ... I do lots of my thinking on long walks.
Vicarcat hope it goes well for your friend. I was looking at the t-shirts at cafe press the other day and there is one that says 'half-elven cleric'. thought about you.
I wont go into old time school PE uniforms. Suffice it to say that big bloomery type clothing doesnt sit well on a very skinny boney type child frame.
Crazy weather? yes, and I definately believe global warming has already begun. Another rainy day here in the midlands of UK. Next week is supposed to be nicer...
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 02:29
Thanks for your concerns Vicarcat and Calle, but both surgery and angioplasty are considered too risky for me because of my bad heart. As I am now, I can still carry on with A pretty normal life, it's just that I can't walk more than about 75 feet without the muscles in my left lower leg starting to burn from lack of oxygen. I think I could make it about A mile if I walked real slow on level, hard ground. I'm very thankful that I'm doing as well as I am and am not bitter about it at all. I've had some really tough times with my health over the last 15 years, so I am just delighted to be able to wake up in my own bed each day with A pulse, dress myself and go about my business. All these other things are just minor inconveniences. There were times in the past that I would buy something like coffee filters and think to myself, "It says here that there are three hundred in this pack. I wonder if I'll get to use them all?" I eventually got tired of thinking along those lines and just quit worrying about it. I'll just gladly limp along and be happy that I'm still here.

No, I didn't go to Catholic school, Awelyn. They might have had A time with me. I'm just mischievious, and I probably got it from my dad. He said he used to stick his finger in his sister's milk so she wouldn't drink it and he would get it. I'm the apple that didn't fall very far. Swabby

[Edited on 24/5/2006 by swabby]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 06:45
Bloomers...are they what we used to call pettipants (sp?)? I recall loving them since I could wear short skirts without risk of exposing anything inappropriate. Swabby, you make me laugh as always! Were you one of those boys that used to drop pencils on purpose?

Awelyn, my heart goes out to you. It is so difficult to watch our children make mistakes and frustrating when they won't listen to advice. All you can do now is pray and love and be there for her. She will realize one day and hopefully before she gets in too deep. Just know that it is not your fault and this is something that is not within your power to control. And as God's children we don't always follow advice or do what is best for us.

What a perfect beautiful sunny day today. Will send some your way, Vicarcat. Have been doing quite a bit of Spring cleaning and organizing but today woke up with a partially swollen foot and not sure what it is. Hopefully it will be better soon, driving me crazy as I usually don't sit still much during the day. Will most likely be gimping (word?) around anyhow.

A beautiful and blessed day to you all! :heart::love: :hug:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 07:44
Lil' ol' me drop A pencil on purpose? Never! I was A perfect angel in school, and then when I was in the Navy I was never rude or crude either. And that's the truth! Yeah, that's the ticket! Swabby

[Edited on 25/5/2006 by swabby]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 09:52
Mith ,no they were not pettipants. They were a bigger version of the clothing you put on a doll's bottom or a baby and then the dress ibut mine was under a gym uniform. They elastic around the legs that drove me crazy.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 04:15
Oh am I glad I didn't have to wear bloomers.
Mom put me in cable knit tights... like pantyhose with the same weight yarn
as a winter sweater..
And yes I remember those nuns... I got in trouble for daydreaming all the time.

Swabby, you've my sympathy as heart trouble is a pain at best...
at least you can still ride your bike!
Now of course I'm going to have visions of Dwarven bikers taking out
Orcs blocking the interstate...
with Swabby ridiing circles around those Orcs.

Awelyn, let me know if there's more I can do then praying for you and yours:heart: .

Mith I hope your foot gets better!
Well it's best keep of that foot as much as your nerves will let you and
try not to limp around too much ok?
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email