Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VI
on: March 31, 2006 04:12
We had best stay away from the beaches in Brazil, Mith, even if beach rangers have been spotted there. I wouldn't want to damage the highly sensitive swabby radar. I can almost hear him "bleep, bleep, Bleep" when you and the Ipanema gals go by. The sound would suddenly change to static around me.
Hope you have lots of fun with your friend Mith !

Wish I could see your film/commercial debut scots.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a relapse OTB. Do you think it's allergy related? Hope that you're feeling well soon.

A weekend with red wine, a tennis ball ,rubber band and awelyn sounds verrry interesting.

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: March 31, 2006 05:17
MtMS, you crack me up. Interesting weekend indeed

Mith I to wish we lived closer. I wish we all lived closer.
I got my LOTR trivial pursuit game today. I was so excited you would have thought it was Christmas. I just love it. I can't wait to play it.

Swabby Oh the poor bunny.:cry:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 03:30
HI all! Here's to a great weekend for all of us.

Sorry to see that you're not feeling well, OTB . Do take care of yourself.

I seem to have picked up some sort of stomach thing. It's gurgling away in a rather unhappy fashion. Yuck. Good thing I have an easy day planned.

Well, the Fates were good to us this week, although it didn't seem that way at first. Although the fridge AND the sump pump died on the same day, the former has been resurrected and the latter replaced. Yay! Better than the other way 'round.

I am enjoying my new book - John Howe's Myth and Magic . ! Oh my, it is just gorgeous:love:

Well, off to drink some Camomille tea and rest up a bit.:wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 04:10
Dear Middle Earth ladies with greying hair
whose features have shifted from here to there
pay no attention and give not A care
because you're still hot as A magnesium flare

Pay close attention when you walk down the street
and you sense your behind is starting to heat
Some lonesome Ranger has spotted A treat
His radar is tracking your buns oh so sweet

Ok, the cat is out of the bag. Now you ladies know what is going on when your buns (or other parts of your body) just suddenly heat up. Some man has just hit you with his clothes-penetrating radar. I don't know how that stuff is measured, whether it be in watts or volts or Kenny Rankins, but I used to have A mighty powerful one. I was walking behind A rather hot-looking secretary one time, and I guess my radar was too strong because she suddenly turned around and shouted "Swabby!", and I knew that she knew that I had been intensely probing her with my radar. And all this time you all thought you were having "hot flashes" Ha! Swabby
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 04:41
Hi Everyone! I have been frantically trying to catch up on all the posts I have missed lately. I went with my daughter to London for a few days of just relaxing and taking in the sights. Then I get back and my computer is fine, but my son's is not, so he has decided to borrow mine. I'm lucky to get a few minutes to catch up!
Happy belated birthdays to those I've missed.
Spring is finally starting to show its pretty face here. I have tried to start excercising again. A little sporadic, but never the less at least I am making an effort. Those aches and pains of mid life send me into a frenzy and I am trying to out run them.
As soon as I have had a few more weeks in the gym stretching my muscles i can begin running again.
A ranger on the beach sounds lovely, but I must say I am still looking for an elf in the woods. One day I might actually spot one of those georgeous creatures. If by chance I spot a ranger I will tell him of his friends waiting on the beach for him. But if you spot an elf by the sea, please send him back to the forest for me.
OTB.. lovely photos. You must have had so much fun.
I would love to dress in ME costume and have a nice game of LOTR trivial pursuit with you all.
Now that I have been able to post a quick message, I am going back to reread some of the posts I read in haste.
Dont be hasty! I tell myself that but still I am always pressed for time somehow.
I hope all the achy shoulders and whatnot and sicknesses pass soon. Spring is here...new beginnings.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 01:06
Have you read all the questions in your Trivial Pursuit game yet awelyn? I think that's the first thing I did when I had time to sit down for a while and take it all in. Must say that I knew alot of answers. Bet you know alot too. We'll have to practice up for the big TP showdown we'll have WHEN we get together. Notice that I said WHEN.

John Howe's work is fabulous. I am sure that you're thoroughly enjoying his book neenime. I haven't seen that one. Is it one that you would recommend? Hope you're feeling better soon.

So those weren't hot flashes I was having, swabby? Coulda fooled me. Maybe the radar along with a little telepathy is the reason we middle aged gals want to strip down a bit when we feel a hot flash coming on.:evil: Funny poem. You always make me smile.

Good to have you back with us, Calle. I promise to do a ranger for elf trade if I stumble upon an elf. Not that elves aren't fabulously artistic, amazingly intelligent,gifted musically and fairest in looks. I just prefer a little-rough-around-the-edges, handsome, loyal, noble ranger.:love:

MT

awelyn418
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 05:23
Yes MTMS,I went though some of the Questions and I answered quite a few correctly. I was proud of myself. There was an answer I disagreed with and when I find it I will present it to the group and see what you all think. You know me so well.

Calle I am so glad you are back. I am with you girl give me an Elf anytime. I am glad you had a good time with your daughter. What did you like about London the most?

Swabby you clown lol. Did you make the kids in your school laugh?
You are always trying to make us feel better about our aging.
Thank you kind sir.

Neenime I hope you feel better. The Camille tea is a good idea. I use to give that to my kids for an upset tummy. Have a good weekend
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 06:59
Hi everyone.

Just got back from a shopping spree. Didn't find a LOTR Trivial Pursuit game, so I might have to go to Sears and see if they have one. I'm looking for the DVD version. But if it is just the board game, I'll get that instead.

Holidays are going great. Haven't done anything yet. Other than shopping. Got some clothes, a caligraphy pen set without the pens, a couple of movies, and some good junk food. :disco:

Checked out the new Safeway Store in the next city and it is Awesome. I got a personal tour from my old store manager. I don't think I want the new Deli Department they have. IT'S TOO BIG. I could get lost there.

Sorry to hear about all the aches and pains. OTB: you get yourself better. Broncitis is nasty. I had it come back every three years except when I moved further north it has disappeared. I haven't had it in three years. Lucky me.

Camomille tea is the best thing for an upset tummy, neenime. Dry toast wouldn't hurt either. It will absorb all the acid if it is gurgling. Crackers will too.

Well, I should go. I have been up since 7 AM and I'm tired. Get to sleep in in the morning. :disco:

namarié
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 11:58
Thank you for the welcome back.
Awelyn, The part I like most about London are the extremely old buildings and all the statues. All the 'kings and queens of old' are carved into so many buildings in great detail and the statues are fantastic. I could easily imagine being back in time, even as far as ME times.
Swabby, EVERY little sweet comment made to us to easing the transition through middle age is most welcome.
Neenime. ginger is good for the tummy as well. I absolutely hate when my tummy hurts..it makes me so weak somehow.
Lol, Balrog. Sounds like your shopping trips compare to mine. I usually come home with an asortment. A few really good things and the occasional cant resist bargain with maybe some parts missing. And ALWAYS some more junk food.
I did go into a charity shop last week and found a really nice LOTR puzzle for one pound and some LOTR game figures, twelve for a pound. Also found a nice silver elven looking candle holder set for two pounds. Then stopped by the bakery for tea and pastries and spent four pounds.
MT, I'm glad you said 'when'. It's nice to think that someday we'll all gather for a little entmoot and game playing.
Hope all the fof ers have a lovely weekend.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 02:51
Butterflies and Possums, beaches in the sun.
Men that possess ‘bun’ radar, this really sounds like fun.

:wave: My computer is working again. There are so many posts I have read, I hope I have encapsulated most in the above.

Hope all aches, pains and ailments dissolve in the warmer weather to come. :hug:

Not much has happened in my neck of the woods ... so it's just a hi and fly post.

Hugs to everyone. TTFN.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 04:40
Hooray! Rose is back! I fired my bun-seeking radar in your general direction, Rose, but all I got on my screen was either the image of an angry prune or Condaleeza Rice's face, I couldn't tell which it was. Must be that danged Burmuda triangle. At any rate, I hope you don't have any more breakdowns so you can help liven this place up.

I guess it's true that age tends to improve A man's face, (up to A point) while at the same time degrading that of A woman, or that is how society usually sees it. When I was twenty, A thirty-year-old woman looked A little bit aged to me, but not anymore. I've changed how I see women. I see A lot of gals who are over fifty that I think are positively "hot". I can still see sexiness and beauty in A young girl, but I also see them as hardly more than A child, young enough to be my grandaughter.
You all know I like to joke around, but not everything I say is meant to be A joke. If I can make some of you laugh and/or feel better about yourselves, then my silliness has served A good purpose. Take it from this ex-sailor boy and life-long girl watcher, you are all still hot chicks. Hey, y'all sure rock my world. Swabby
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 06:02
Hi everyone

Hope you are all having a good weekend. I am enjoying my wee break from work and have just been watching Pride and Prejudice on DVD. Anyone else here think that Viggo would make a great Mr Darcy?

Hope all your aches pains and troubles will fly swiftly out of the window.

Love and Hugs

HT:heart:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 06:41
HI everone. Thanks for the well-wishing. It obviously worked and my tummy was fine by noon. No doubt a mild case of food poisoning. Good thing I have a good immune system.

Calle , with Spring here, perhaps the ELves are migrating Will send any wayward ones in your direction. DO you prefer blond or brunette?

Balrog your Safeway comment reminds me of Superstore. When it first openend here, a lot of my clients with Anxiety Disorders couldn't set foot in there. They were overwhelmed by the size and over-stimualtion. It took me a while to get used to it. Staff on roller-blades to check prices and fetch articles. Goodness!

The John Howe book is awesome! How I wish that I could magnify the photos and make them into murals. It would be like living in a whiole new world! Yes I heartily recommend it. I bought mine at amazon.com for about 1/2 the retail price. Even with shipping and handling it was cheaper and the book is almost new.

Well, Spring Fever has hit our place and we've done all sorts of cleanign and re-arranging. Need to sit for a bit or wlil wear my feet out! Perhaps time to wokr on my Easter Egg hobby a bit. Will try to incorporate a couple opf Mr. Howe's decorative designs into my patterns. Perhaps I'll make another Middle Earth Egg. I did several last year, with the names of the Fellowship done in Sindarin. Also had a design for each of the races. Tuirned out not too badly. Perhaps I'll ask hubby to take a photo and I'll post it for you to see.

Have a great day, everyone. :hug: :hug: :hug:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 10:15
Hi Everyone!

MTMS, my song is "School's Out for Summer!" I have this burned on a CD and roll down all my windows and open the sunroof on the last day and do a parking lot loop with it blaring from the stereo......

Elves in the woods....hmmmm...I wouldn't mind coming across Gil-galad or Elrond (I have a thing for dark men; keep the blondes) in the woods...but a Ranger anywhere would be best!

Viggo would make a good Mr. D'Arcy...Viggio would make a good anything.

Nothing would be finer
Than to find a fighting Ranger
On the seashore...

Five days til spring break!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 11:26

Nothing would be finer
Than to find a fighting Ranger
On the seashore...

You're so right, sindy. I also think that "dark" men are very sexy and exotic,especially rangers.:love:

The ME eggs sound fabulous neenime. Please take pictures and share. You are so very talented, I'm sure they are quite beautiful.

Viggo would make a good Mr. Darcy HT. :heart: I watched the special features section of A History of Violence and learned about "Fish Fridays" when everyone wore t-shirts with fish designs on them. (Viggo inspired) It was very interesting seeing how they filmed most of the scenes, especially the sexy ones. Loved hearing Viggo's voice and seeing those eyes. He's the exception to the dark haired man rule of thumb.:love:

Thanks swabby , for making us gals feel worthy of a glance. I happen to think that most of us "mature" women are better than we were several years ago, at least on the inside.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 03:04
New trivia question:

Who is the first to leap over the gap on the stairs of Khazad-dum and help the rest across?

(I had to do quarter grades today and watched FOTR as I worked.)

Sindy

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 03:10
Did I fail to mention to you ladies that I, Swabby Abner Tobias Mortensen am A dark-complected Ranger of the MALE species, and I just happen to live in the forest? Actually, I live in A tree house.

"Who is that dark-complected man who lives up in that tree?
"He's one of them there rangers, who's around here known as Swa-bee".

C'mon up ladies, and lay upon my big brass bed!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 05:22
Thanks, swabby! Appreciate those sentiments.

sindy, that was Legolas! Heh... Got to say he sucked me into the movie first off (though I loved it from the start) and until I'd seen it a number of times I was a serious Leggy lover.

Yeah, I know, positively adolescent, but he *is* gorgeous. Still, now I see the beauty of Aragorn and Elrond and think that such a feast for the eyes as what PJ made definitely is worth multiple viewings.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2006 05:31
Hi. Dashing in to ask another LOTR trivia question?

In ROTK, how many scars were there on Frodo's chest?

By the way, it was good to see Elijah Wood's bare chest.:heart::love:

namarié
Dashing out.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 02:10
Scars on Frodo's chest.... there were scars on his chest .... who was looking for scars. Lol!!!
By the way, it was good to see Elijah Wood's bare chest.
An understatement, if ever there was one, dear Balrog.

*ahem* clears throat....When Frodo was taken captive and stripped *holds herself steady* bare...*bites knuckles* at Cirith Ungol, you can see 2 scars on his chest

One is from his Weathertop encounter, but what about the other. If it was from Moria, I thought the Mithril vest would have protected him enough for there not to be such a big scar. Or was it nassssty Shelob? But then Shelob's injury was surely too recent to have left a clean scar... Hmmmm, makes you wonder where the other scar came from, if those two argument hold water.

Oh, btw hello again, everyone. :wave: As you will have summised, my comp is working again.

A Leggy lover, eh Belle. Myself I was a Frodo girl from the start, but the one who captured my heart totally was my Sam. *sigh* Squeeeeee!!! He makes me goosebumpy.

Good to see people seem to be in higher spirits.

Swabby Abner Tobias Mortensen, *giggles* And does your brass bed had a furskin spread on it .... Mmmmm, nothing nicer than a furskin. Keep watching your rope ladder. :naughty:

Weatherwise in the UK, it has been a damp weekend with warm then cooler temperatures. Nothing new there then!! Lol!! Visited the Greyhound Track and had a flutter and recouped my expenses, and a little extra.

Indulged myself on Sunday with home-made chicken broth with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in .... yummmety, yum .... and finished off with fresh strawberries, grapes, banana and neapolitan icecream coated in chocolate.

*claxon* *warning bell* Orcs coming!!!! Gotta dash. Byeeeeee *runs off down the corridor calling out a trivia question*

Who was Legolas's Grandfather.

:hug: :hug:

awelyn418
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 02:38
The last 2 trivia questions I knew but I am stumped on this one.

Rose I am so glad your computer is fixed. I missed you. Hi Sindy,Balrog,Belle ,HT,Swabby,Brandwine,OTB,Calle,Neenime,Scots, and anyone I missed.

It is a very blustery day here today. Yesterday there were tornadoes all around me In the USA our states are broken down into counties and we had tornadoes in my county last night. It was a little tense.
well I have 12 days until my Spring break. It seems forever.
Have a good day FOF friends.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 02:47
Hey, Rose! That was really great. I only remember the Morgul blade wound and have no idea where he got the second one either. As to your next trivia question:

Oropher was Legolas's grandfather. He was killed at the Seige of Baradur Dur because he attacked before Gil-galad and Elendil were ready. Thranduil survived, but many of the Mirkwood (or Greenwood Great as it was known as back then) died as did the ruler of Lothlorien and many Lorien Elves. Made for tense relations for awhile between Imladris and Mirkwood due to Elrond's being Gil-galad's herald.

Oropher was considered a Sindarin, one of the Elves who never made it to Aman. Not certain what his coloring was, but we do know that Thranduil had golden hair. Although Tolkien never specifically told us what color Legolas' was, most believe it was golden as well.

(*ahem* I think I'm obsessed, doncha as well? )

Welcome back, awelyn! It's been sunny, but relatively cool here and the clouds come and go. The yard's turning into a jungle, but every time we get ready to mow, it rains. Sheesh...

So sorry to hear you're getting tornados. Isn't it a bit early for that? I thought the season was from June to October. Hope they all pass you by.

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 03:26
Geeez, Rose, you're getting A little too racy even for the Swab-meister now. I mean, I agree that furskins are pretty nice for those fellas that still have 'em, but I ain't even seen mine since I was A wee sea urchin, and stretching one out across A bed, well, that just sounds like pure torture to me! No, dear Rosie, all I got on my bed is one of those sheepskins like Donovan used to sit on when he'd serenade the little hippie birds. "Way down, below the ocean----way down below the sea, that's where I'll be". Let's not talk about stretchin' anything across beds other than leather straps, ok? (and nobody was supposed to know about those---sshhhh) Swabby with A painful grimace.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 07:19
I have great news . My daughter is getting married. They have not set a day but it will be in November. that does not leave me much time,but I can do it :dizzy: I think. She loves him and he loves her and I get a little weepy when I see them look loving at each other. I just realized it is really going to happen and I will lose my baby. I held her and shed a tear or two:cry: . She will be happy and I like him alot so the wedding frenzy is on in full swing.

Belle where did you get that answer? I looked in the LOTR book and could not find it. I looked in the appendix. It is cooler here today and beautiful.

I have to run back to work. I will drop by later.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 07:21
Belle what is the next question?
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 08:14
Hi everyone.

I just thought I would pop in and see who did what to whom.

Rose: I totally agree with you. I couldn't figure that one out either. According to the book he was stung in he NECK by Shelob. That sting he gave Frodo in the movie would have been stopped with the mithril shirt. Nice to see you are back Rose. :wave:

I just heard of the tornados that swept through the midwest. Hope that everthing is ok. (You all know what I mean.)

BelleBayard: I agree with the mowing. I remember one summer that it had rained so much that by the time it totally stopped, I had to cut at least a foot of grass. It would dry and by the time I would pull out the mower it would start raining again. It sounded like I would need a swather to cut the grass.

swabby: You are soooooooo bad. All this talk of sheepskins, sheesh. But I know you mean. A good sheepskin by a fire is more enticing :naughty: with a glass of wine and whoever you want next to you. Now that's romantic.

awelyn418: Congradulations on the wedding. Just think of it as not losing a daughter but gaining a son. I know it's an old cliché but it does ring true. If you get along with the future son-in-law then things will go smoothly. If he gets nervous, then tell him he will have 2 mothers. It will make the transition better.

I have a question for all of you: Does anyone have a picture of Elendilmir? It was the Star of Elendil. I have had no luck locating a pic of it. I could use some help. I would like one for my collection of pictures. It would be greatly appreciated.

My holidays are going great. I am going to watch FOTR this afternoon, TTT tomorrow afternoon and ROTK on Wednesday. That's the last day of my holidays and I will be going out with a bang. A LOTR bang that is.

Well, I should go and get treats ready so that I don't have to move off the couch for anything. If I could put a toilet beside me then I would be all set.

namarié

BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 08:46
Congrats, awelyn! I know how you feel. Hmm... I'll think of something to post. As for the answer, it's not in the Lord of the Rings, but in the Silmarillion (along with all the stuff that was in the movie prologue).

Balrog, did you want the phial of starlit water that Galadriel gave to Frodo? If so, I have one at home. Otherwise, I'm not certain exactly what you're looking for. PM me with your email addy and I'll send the pic I have the Light of Earendil. Not sure I know of the Star of Elendil. Will have to look that one up.

Note: Looked it up. I've never seen a picture of this and I don't know that we see it in the movies. According to Wikipedia:

In J. R. R. Tolkien's fictional universe of Middle-earth, the Star of Elendil was a white precious jewel (diamond?) worn by Elendil and his heirs, and then by the chieftains of the Dúnedain in Arnor.

The Stars of Elendil were also called the Elendilmir, the Star of the North, and the Star of the North Kingdom. This was a symbol of royalty along with the Sceptre of [[Annúminas]]; the Kings of Arnor did not have a crown like their counterparts of Gondor.

The original jewel was given by Silmariën to Elendil. It was lost shortly after the War of the Last Alliance. Isildur and his three eldest sons had been waylaid and slain by Orcs in the Gladden Fields; Isildur who died shortly after loosing the One Ring was last wearing the Star when he fell.

When word of this disaster reached Rivendell, Elrond's smiths produced an exact replica of the original for Valandil, the surviving son of Isildur, and it was worn by the other thirty-nine kings and chieftains of Arnor, up to and including Aragorn.

The original was rediscovered by Saruman's agents while searching for the One Ring, and the King Elessar later recovered it from amongst Saruman's treasure in Isengard after the War of the Ring. Elessar held both Elendilmir's in reverence; the first because of its ancientry and potency, the second because of its lineage from thirty-nine forebearers. The King would wear the replica when he spend time in the restored North Kingdom.

It is speculated that the original jewel contained, like the Phial of Galadriel, a tiny measure of the light of the Two Trees that once shone in the Silmarils.

That said, I don't have a picture of this at all. I would imagine it most likely was very large and very bright and wearing it for all to see might engender avarice.

Hmm... How about this one? Should be relatively easy for those who have read the books:

What people did Smeagol originate from?

[Edited on 4/3/2006 by BelleBayard]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 11:23
He was a Hobbit

Gandalf speaking of the finding of the One Ring and Gollum's place in that finding:

"Long after, but still very long ago, there lived by the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland a clever-handed and quiet-footed little people. I guess they were of hobbit-kind; akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors, for they loved th River, and often swam in it, or made little boats of reeds."

FotR
Chapter 2 "A Shadow of the Past"
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 03:46
Some trivia info I've found:
"He was born in the 24th century of the Third age and was in orign closely akin to hobbit-kind, for his family were of Stoorish blood...The young Stoor Smeagol (orig. Trahald)..."

"Elendilmir-The Star of Elendil; the "crown" of Arnor (though the septre of Annuminas was the chief emblem of royalty in the North kingdom). It was a single white gem bound to the brow by a slender fillet of silver."

You know Legolas trivia quite well Belle. It's interesting to know that you're a Leggy Lover.:love:

Balrog and Rose are busy staring at Frodo's chest while Belle is having elvish dreams. (I'm glad that I am not alone in admiration of the cast of LOTR):evil:

Ranger swabby Abner Tobias Mortensen, do not look for me to come climbing up your rope ladder. I don't like heights!! This shieldmaiden keeps her feet on the ground as much as possible (until a ranger comes by, and then she floats ever so slightly just above the ground).

Speaking of heights, don't go spinning off to Oz, ranger swabby or awelyn. We want you to stay here with us!

So very excited for you and your daughter's engagement awelyn. Know that it will be a busy and happy time.

trivia question: who was the last Lord of Eothend (from 2500-Third Age) and the first king of Rohan?
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 04:09
Heh... It's in Appendix A of RoTK, pg 380. "Thus Eorl became the first King of the Mark, and he chose for his dwelling a green hill before the feet of the White Mountains that were the south-wall of his lands." He was called Eorl the Young and his name is where the Rohirrim got their war cry "Forth Eorlings!"

Oh yes, I'm a Leggy lover, but I adore all the peoples of Tolkien's world. I think PJ did an awesome job of finding people and lands that echoed the Professor so well.

Ah, yes... The Stoors, like predecessors of the Hobbits, they were very much river people, unlike the bucolic Hobbits of the Shire. Hobbits didn't swim well (as you remember Sam nearly drowning and Frodo's parents did), but Stoors lived near the rivers on the Eastern face of the Misty Mountains near Gladden Fields.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 02:27
Awelyn, congratulations on your daughter's impending wedding. The thought of having an empty nest may be tough for you, though. It's not something I look forward to because I've poured so much of my time, energy and love into my 14 yo son and his developement as A person. I hope it goes easy for you.

Rumpelstilskin had A rumpled furskin. Now aren't you glad to find that out? Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 03:08
It must be Spring. FoFers are talking about mating rituals and making double entendres (umm, more than usual, that is. )

Sheepskin and furskin, huh? Will have to speak to my own Ranger about that. Well, he's perhaps less of a Ranger and more like Faramir, but no less manly for that.............

Awelyn- congratulations! What a special time in your life. I hope you enjoy the process and have smooth sailing with your plans.

Legolas-lovers ,eh? I find that my appreciation for that young Elf has grown over the years. I have always been a Ranger -fancier, but something about that luminous presence, battle-skill and gorgeous hair has caught my attention.

I enjoyed TTT over the weeknd. A friend came to work on Easter Eggs and we spontaneously decided to put it on. We laughed because our heads automatically came up from our hand-work at the beginning, just as we knew that Aragorn would be shown listening to the ground. Like instinct, I tell you! :drool:
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 03:29
As regards my mention of furskin .... it *was* meant merely as a joke, but seems to have been misinterpreted. Sorry about that and any sensibilities that have been offended.

Thanks

Rose
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 04:39
I'm sorry Rose. It was I who made A joke out of it. We all know what you meant and I don't think anyone was offended by "furskin". It's A word us yanks don't use much and sounds very much like "foreskin". That was the joke I was trying to make. I had thought that I would look like A dummy who didn't know the difference between "furskin" and "foreskin", and that you all would find that funny, but I mis-judged. I assure you that I meant no offense by it. Forgive me?

[Edited on 4/4/2006 by swabby]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 05:27
:dizzy: *wh-o-o-o-o-o-sh* That's the sound of the joke flying over my head! I missed that one completely. Man, where *was* my head?? LOL

Oops, orklings are coming back from recess. *sigh* I guess I must go and earn my keep.
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email