Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: August 14, 2006 08:23
I agree with you both. All these relegious rules and rituals were man made to control the populace. I like to think as Jesus did. I wanna be like him when I grow up.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 08:37
I like your ideas about church and God, Vicarcat and Neenime. That's pretty much how I've felt about it for A long time. I think A lot of people confuse man-made church rules with God's rules, and they're not always the same.

I know this is A demanding time of the year for all you under-paid, under-appreciated and over-worked teachers, so I'd just like to tell you, for what it's worth, that I think you have one of the most important jobs on earth, and I know you have as much, or more, influence on shaping kid's lives than their parents. Who could be more important than you? No one!

One week from today, my 15 yo son will be back in school (10th grade) and I just might be able to put some more miles on that new motorcycle of mine. I long for autumn and cooler days when I can glide down those long country roads with swirling leaves chasing after me. Swabby
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 09:10
Neenime..hope your sis-in-law gets alone ok..will pray for her...
Vicarcat..I agree with you about the church.it's PEOPLE God is interested in..not church buildings!
I would love to hear from you when you have time..(I left all my letter-writing stuff at the farm)
Melianmaia...*roflmao* love your ideas about when you grow up!
Swabby..I agree whole-heartedly with you about school teachers..I still remember some of mine and the inpact they had on my life.(and are STILL having!)
Hope your son will enjoy his school year..and please be careful on that new toy of yours! But enjoy it also!! *thumbs*
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 02:34
:cheers: to the teachers in our midst.

Blessed are the teachers,
For they shall lead their little Fellowships into the Lands of Learning, by the Marshes of Mathematica and the Dead Lands of Grammatica.

Blessed are the teachers,
For they oftimes do battle with Orcs, Balrogs and the dreaded Superintendants. :evil:

Blessed are the teachers for they are brought to account by the Counters of Beans, but charged with the tasks of Wizards and Miracle Workers. :angel:

Blessed are the Teachers. May their summers be slow, their blood pressure low and their share of respect exceedingly high! :hug:

Amen! *angelic chorus rises to a swell*
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 03:18
Bless you, neenime and others for the accolades for teachers. Your encouraging words are greatly appreciated.

You are so right, vicarcat. Acting as Christ is what's important. I missed sharing the fellowship in worship with my church family on Sunday. Felt like something was missing from my week, and it was.

You are such an encourager, awelyn. I am blessed to know you. Glad to know that your daughter made it through her "would-have-been-wedding" date without much pain. I am relieved that things turned out as they did and pray that she feels the same.

I know you can handle your new "charges" scots. You are a shieldmaiden: strong, persistent and quick. They have no chance against you.

Great hearing from you again, Randi. Yes, you were missed! You're one of the family and we want you to return as often as you can.

Am praying for your sister-in-law, neenime. May God cure and comfort her.

A fall weather ride on the back of a motorcycle sounds lovely, swabby. I wonder if fall will ever come to my corner of the world....at least before December, maybe????

MT
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 05:19
Hello everybody I made it through my first day but it was meetings and problems with the AC and the phone. I make the majority of my appointments at work. I ended up going home and calling from there because I was getting sick at my stomach. My office is in a mobile home and does it ever get hot if the AC is off. Tomorrow I start seeing parents and children.

I agree a building does not make a church it is the people inside that are the church. But MTMS I know what you mean when I am not at church I miss my church family.

Swabby I love Autumn time it is my favorite time of the year. It stormed here today and a cool front is suppose to move through I will be so glad. Is your son excited to go to school?

Neenime I have prayed for your sister-in-law. That was a cute poem.

Melian I agree with you and for me that is what my religion is about being like the Lord.

MTMS, you have a good day tomorrow and I agree with the others that teachers are so important. Good teachers are worth their weight in gold.

Randi, so good to hear from you. Are you having a good visit with your son? I am so glad you can post for a time.

Oh no, daughter's boyfriend just broke up with her. He does not want to be in a relationship. She is a little sad but they were just dating. Her high school 5th year reunion is this weekend and I think she will have fun.
Goodnight.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 06:00
Hi everyone.

My LOVE for Tolkien is still there. I have been working on a story about a character I created and worked on it all weekend. I used all of my Tolkien books, so I was reading his words. I got so engrossed, that I lost all track of time.

I needed something to relieve this stress that was created by a lottery that is held in Canada. The Total on this lottery was $42 million. Trying to sell tickets on it was overwellming. I ended up coming straight home on Friday and slept for 2 hours. It was worth it.

neenime: I will pray for your sister-in-law. My mother was a cancer surviver and when I hear that someone has cancer, I remember my mother and all that my family went through.

Belle: Congrats on the new granddaughter. May your house be blessed with little cries of new life. I love babies.

TO ALL TEACHERS: I, too, wish you all luck in the new year of teaching. Sometimes, teaching at new schools can be a hassle, but if you ask for help, help will always be there. I remember one teacher in particular that I liked. Maybe you will be one of them that will stick out in their minds.

Well, I am going to go and listen to some music to relax.

Namárië
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 01:16
You will find my own personal Mines of Moria here. You can't see the posters all that well. I guess I'll need to put up the close-up picture that I have. That will have to wait until later though.

Thank you for all the lovely teacher thoughts. Too bad that kids don't feel the same way some days. LOL But really, it was fine yesterday. Of course, it was shortened day with nothing really taught in class, but at least I didn't have to pry anybody off the ceilings. My feet and legs were quite tired though--more walking during teaching than I have been used to. It was easier to be at a table and have the masses come to me when I was teaching multiple grades with few kids. Then after school I had to take a trip to Mom's to check out her wasp sting. She got stung multiple times and her hand and arm were pretty swollen. The darned women has a bee sting alllergy with all the accompnying shock that may come with it and refused point blank to go to the doctor. *tearing hair out* So I stopped by after school to scold her...for what good it did me. My brother was coming out to check her to make sure that it was just the normal swelling that accompanies wasp stings. Sheesh. You just get done raising your kids when you have to start raising your parents! She's one stubborn lady. Hmmmmmmm----that may explain things.

Well, it's time for me to toddle off to school; I have early morning duty today in the gym. This should be interesting.

Take good care all.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 07:34
I've been thinking. What if Boromir had not died defending Merry and Pippin? Would they have still gone by Rohan and released Theoden from his spell? Would Eowyn have still flipped over Aragorn or would she have gone for Boromir? When all the fighting was over and Aragorn was crowned "King", would he and Boromir have stayed on good terms or would there have been A rivalry? Now, here is my most important question of all, so please think hard. If Aragorn and Boromir were both walking towards you carrying large barrels of "Old Tobey" that obscured their faces, and they both were wearing kilts, could you tell them apart? If they dropped their loads and bent over to pick them up, would you look? Would you do more than look? Now be truthful! Swabby
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 09:51
Neenime, I love your little poem..Reading it just helped to make my day!
MTMS, Awww!!! :blush: Thank you for your kind words..did not know if I had been missed or not..(tho I definately missed everyone here!) And to be welcomed into the family like that..welll...words fail me...*wipes tears of happiness away*
*hugs MTMS* thank you again!
Awelyn..thank you also for the warm welcome back!
balrog..your love for Tolkien and his masterpiece definately shines thru..
Scots..what posters do you have up over your desk?? my elf eyes do not have as good a vision as they once did...:blush: Hope your Mom is recovering from the wasp stings..and that your school day goes well..
Swabby ..Your pose some interesting thoughts here..Most will require much thought...except for the last one.
If Aragorn and Boromir had their faces hidden, and both dressed alike..wearing kilts..I am not sure if they could be told apart or not..tho I get the impression ( not sure if it is accurate or not) that Boromir's shoulders were slightly wider than Aragorns' were...??
If they dropped their barrel loads and bent over to pick them up..would I look?
While I enjoy looking at beauty..(in whatever form) man, woman, horse, trees, dogs, beautiful sunsets..the sea..etc..I have to say..No ..I would not delibertly look..for neither one of them is my mate..!!! (I'm afraid my face would turn BRIGHT red..and I would quickly cover my eyes and turn away!) Perhaps that makes me old-fashioned..:blush: but...you DID ask!! lol Guess I am STILL too much the country girl !!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 03:30
Your daughter has really been through the relationship wringer, awelyn. I'm sure that you must be hurting right along with her. Prayers for lessons learned and future wonderful men in her life are being lifted up in her behalf.

How talented you are to create a character, balrog. Please tell us more about this character of yours and where we can read the story that he/she is involved in.

You are most welcome, Randi. It's a pleasure to have you among us.

Nice room, scots, although very different from mine. Maybe I'll take a pic of MY "pit" amongst the slag heaps of Morannon.
I was mentioning today that purgatory and gym duty should be synonyms.:cry: Good luck with yours. Mine is tomorrow as well.

Questions, questions swabby. Actually, most of those questions that you raised have come up in my mind as well, especially the Aragorn/Boromir one (NO, not with kilts and all). I bet that Boromir would not have accepted Aragorn as the king of Gondor and perhaps taken steps to see that didn't happen. Not sure about the Eowyn/Boromir question. I'm sure that she would've been attracted to Boromir's warrior spirit and handsomeness, but in comparison to Aragorn......well, there is no comparison-it's the rugged ranger with the Flame of the West at his side.:love::heart:

Oh...and yes, I'd look!

MT
(shameless hussy and shieldmaiden)
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 04:46
Re:
Merry and Pippin: I'm assuming that Boromir defeated those evil orceses and rescued Merry and Pippin. I'm thinking that they would have gone back to the others and not gone on to Rohan. Now, if Borormir had had a true change of heart after he had seen what he tried to do to Frodo, then maybe he would have accepted Aragorn as King. If it was just a temporary conversion, then I agree with MT that he wouldn't have accepted him as the new King, and sure as shootin, Denethor wouldn't!!

My first instinct is that Eowyn would have gone for Boromir because of his warrior status. The tortured soul of Boromir I think would appeal to her although I can't see him allowing her free rein to follow her inclinations. I would like to believe that she would see the goodness in Faramir and choose him over Boromir anyway.

As for the kilted question...I don't know that I would be able to tell the difference...and who would care!!! :naughty: :naughty:

I would have to go with MT and look. Just because I happen to have a wonderful spousal unit does not mean that I've lost my appreciation for a well turned male derriere. I'm hopeless.

:yawn: It's that time for me. I am SO bushed. It's going to take me a bit to get back into the school thing. I can hardly make sense of what I'm writing. I will post an up close of the posters when I can see straight.

Take care all.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 06:27
Hi everyone.

Just thought I would pop in and check out who posted.

Swabby: I think that Boromir would not have accepted Aragorn as King. He would have taken the ring to his father and it could have taken over Boromir before he got it to Minas Tirith. As for the Eowyn/Boromir relationship: I don't think she would have chosen him because if the ring would have taken him over, she would not have wanted anyone like that. I still say she would have chosen Faramir.

As for the kilt thing, I think I would take a peek. :naughty: :blush: Just to check if they are wearing underwear.

MTMS: If you want to read our story go here:
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=16415 This is where it started with a few FoF members. It continues here:
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=24722

The story I created, MTMS, I wrote for myself. I did it to understand my character more so that our story, with my friends, would be more understanding for me. I might put it on the fan fiction here in Coe but I want to work on it a little more. I don't think that it is quite right yet.

Well I should go and check out my story. I'm still working on it. Right nw it's 59 pages long and growing.

Namárië

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 09:27
Hmmm...
I think had Boromir lived that he would have tried to save Merry and Pippin
but failed...
Meanwhile Frodo and Sam would have slipped away...
I don't think that Boromir would have been able to keep up with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli as they followed the Hobbit carrying Urukai...
When Boromir did get to Rohan Eowyn would have already fallen under Aragorn's spell...

As for the kilts:
Could I tell the difference? Yes...
Would I look? Yes at where those barrels were set.
And no I don't look at mens private parts, after all my hubby is peridhil.

OK so I have a good imagination... now if I could just write fan-ficts.

Awelyn is it your Mom that got stung?
I have unnamed Mom with Wasp stings on my prayer list...
Knowing God He will apply that prayer to every Mom with wasp stings...

Thanks to those who liked my soapbox on God and people...
God is really into People...
And I think it might be rubbing of of him and on to me...
I could hope for such but I think I'll pray for it instead...

I hope and pray that everyones week gets much better...:love:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 01:20
Awelyn is it your Mom that got stung?
I have unnamed Mom with Wasp stings on my prayer list...
Knowing God He will apply that prayer to every Mom with wasp stings...

This was my mom. She's doing fine by the way. She is nearing 90 and will live life at her terms no matter what the cost to her children's nerves! LOL And I wouldn't have it any other way. She is one awesome woman who was ahead of her times and comes from a mother who was WAY ahead of her time as well. I am blessed to have such wonderful role models in my life.

I've put up the up-close pictures of my treasured posters. I am much more coherent this morning than I was last night and could stand the thought of thinking through the process of getting it posted.

But now is the time for me to be winding my way down to school to try and educate some orklings. Poor kids. Lots of this week is involving placement tests and the basic schedule sorting. After I wrote all 125 names in my gradebook, I was informed that the math teacher was doing placement tests today and tomorrow and will be moving kids, so those class lists aren't set. *sigh* Glad I wrote the names in pencil!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 02:33
Scots I can't see your pictures all I get is a blank page. I really wanted to see your room too. I am so glad your mom is ok. She sounds like how I want to be when I am elderly. Oh, Scots all that writing to have to just do it again. How frustrating.

MTMS, yes my daughter has had one heck of a ride with her relationships. Her last relationship I am glad was broken off because there were so many differences they had. I don't think it would have worked. Have a good day at school.

Balrog , it is so good to read your post. So you are writing a new story. Fantastic. I have always been envious of artists and writers. What a creative release and it must also be very therapeutic

Swabby, Are you talking about the movies or the book. I was more impressed with Boromir in the book. I think I would not have looked. For one thing I more attracted to a guys eyes and his smile.than other parts that I think are not as attractive . So really
I just can't think of events happening any another way but Tolkien's way.

Randi, so good to hear from you. We look forward to hearing from you whenever you get the chance.
I have to run to work. Bye for now
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 03:01
scots you said :
Just because I happen to have a wonderful spousal unit does not mean that I've lost my appreciation for a well turned male derriere. I'm hopeless.

I beg to differ, my dear. You're not hopeless, you're a living, breathing woman with all hormones firing as per program.

Thanks for all your prayers. My sister-in-law goes in for surgery this afternoon. She seems OK with it, but we're not reqlly close so I don't imagine that she would share her most personal thoughts with me. That's OK, she has lots of good friends and her husband , son and daughter-in-law are great.

I appreciate all your support. You folks are a real blessing. If there was satellite photo of love and kindness hot-spots on the planet, there would be little lights shining where each of you lives.:love: :love: :love:

Well, work beckons. Have a blessed day, all.

Namarie.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 03:10
I forgot to compliment you on your terrific little poem the other day, MT. It is very descriptive.
I'm not surprised that you said you would look at the bent-over kilted hunks either. That's ok, it just shows that you and Scots haven't succumbed to the slow parade of years and still have some spark in you. Actually, it might be A whole fireworks stand. Woohoo! I assure you that if Salma was bent over in front of me, I'd look. Boy, would I look.

Your answers to my "what if?" questions were all very interesting, and like MT, perhaps some of you had pondered those questions before. I also think that Eowyn might have chosen Faramir over Boromir. I think she would have found the more gentle, less domineering Faramir more to her liking than his brother. I'm sure the Professor knew what he was doing. It is interesting though, to think it all through and imagine just how many different ways the story could have changed.

Now I've dreamed up another question. Let's suppose that Aragorn and Boromir have been staying at an inn. You had met each of them in the pub on their first night there and had danced with them. Now it is two days later and their rooms have not been cleaned. If you were allowed to go in and look around, could you tell which man was staying in which room? (there aren't any personal items lying around) I expect some interesting and revealing answers to this one.

Have A great "hump-day" all you good-lookin' gals! Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 04:30
Wow, miss two days and see what all happens here. Rangers in kilts bending over. A bit late but my thoughts are that Boromir would have had difficulty accepting Aragorn as king. Also, I would have not had much choice in looking since I would have already ran to Aragorn & Boromir. They would have offered to share in Old Toby and other things. Like offering me protection through the wild. (What were you thinking?)

Swabby, your latest question was a puzzler at first. Then I thought of the answer...I would definitely recognize the scent of Aragorn. And I'd want to keep the pillow....

Has been busy here. We had another neighborhood picnic and a campfire by the lake last night. It was the most beautiful and perfect day. Cloudless blue sky with a constant cooling lake breeze. Hard to get work done when it is that nice outside.

Neenime, hope all goes well with your sister-in-laws surgery. That was really sweet what you said about our lights shining. Keep thinking of the words: Forth, and fear no darkness.

:heart: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 07:19
Mith thanks for the hug. You're a treasure.

Swabby what interesting questions. As to the look/no-look. I'd be mighty tempted, I'll tellya, but I would avert my eyes out of respect for the man. Or so I would like to think, but primitive impulses are pretty tricky to rein in!

Eowyn and Boromir? Could be. She, in the books, was very much into a fatalistic, "Come home with my shield or on it," headspace. Boromir would be the epitome of what she desired to become. I think that meeting Aragorn opened up a different compartment in her heart, and bumped her off the fatalistic course. She might have been in a real conflict between the two fo them.

Would Boromir accept Aragorn? I doubt it. He was pretty proud -moreso in the books than in the films. I think Sean Bean gave him a more human touch, expecially in the flashbacaks ( in TTT) to his parting with Faramir. IF Faramir could see the wisdom of Aragorn leading, or the rightness of it (having descended from the Numenorian bloodline), I think he might have persuaded his brother to defer to him or at least form a partnership. Had Denethor not immolated himself, Faramir might have been more inclined to family loyalty.

There's my 50 cent analysis.
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 07:51
MTMS..The pleasure of being here is all mine..I LOVE it! Don't know why it took me so long to find this place..All I can say is..computer inexperience! :blush:
I can wander thru the woods/forest all day and not get lost..but to follow a path thru a computer maze...well..let's just say.. It ain't easy for this ole country gal who grew up not even using a phone till in the teen years!! ( am I telling my age again here??!!) :blush:
Scotty..Hope you were able to get rested up..
Balrog..I like the start of the story..unfortunately my computer time is limited now.will probably be going home today and not sure when I can return...
Vicarcat I too liked your "soapbox" and thank you for the well-wishes fot the week..I'll need them!
Found out last night that one of our horses died.*is still crying*
She had been sick a long time..had her to the vet several times..but she kept getting worse..
Scotty..good luck in your school endeavors with those yrch..
Awelyn..thank you ..I really enjoy it here..and will return every chance I get..
Neenime..hope your sister-in-law does well during and after her surgery..
Swabby..you DO come up with the most interesting questions!! lol
Are you referring to Aragorn the Ranger..or Aragorn the King?? because I imagine that there would be a most decided...errrr..fragrance..about the Ranger..after he had been in the Wilds for awhile..also given the nature of Rangers and outdoorsmen ..(they learn to live in the wildeness with no sign of having been there..*their very lives would depend on this*) I would have to say that Aragorn's room would probably be neat and orderly..while Boromir's would not..(at home..he would probably have been used to others cleaning up after him..) Just my thoughts on the matter....for what they are worth...:blush:
Miththoliel ..sounds like you had a wonderful time at the picnic..Do y'all have them often?
I'll probably be going back to the farm today..not sure when i can return..will miss everyone..*hugs for all*
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 01:49
Interesting question, Swabby.

Since Aragorn was raised by Elrond and assuming that elves living so long would not clutter their surroundings with frou-frou or after a few centuries, it would become overwhelming and because as a Ranger he would be use to packing and traveling light, I would guess his room would be orderly. Boromir, the steward's son would have had a valet to pick up after him so his room would probably be a mess.

We all know I'd look and maybe wolf-whistle.

Scots, hope the orklings are well-trained. I went in today, saw the poltergeists had left every thing heaped in the middle or the floor, the computer people had taken away my always dependable computer of five years and left me one that wouldn't cooperate, and the copy machine was broken. I met my new principal---big and burly, just what we need to control the orklings.

Hoping for a cool and rainy fall....

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 02:59
Thanks for the links, balrog. Am waiting for some personal time so that I can focus on what I'm reading.

Wish the weather here was as lovely as yours sounds, mith. It's just hot, hot, hot and the rain makes it sticky, sticky, sticky! Maybe a beach weekend is what I need...

I agree that Aragorn's room would be relatively empty, as he knows how to make himself "disappear" if need arises. His pillow would have the sent of the wood, trail, sun and rain. (MT rushes to bury her face into Aragorn's pillow and "Sniff" all of him that she can into her nostrils)
Boromir's room would have maps, weapons and clothes strewn about. The smell of food,drink and pipe smoke would probably be found in his chamber, or at least that's how I imagine it.
Like those questions of yours, swabby. Makes the old brain spend a little more time in contemplating the fine qualities of Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Elfstone, the Dunedain, Elessar, Envinyatar (the Renewer)....:heart::love:

Here's a video of my son's band at their last "gig". If you listen closely you just may hear me screaming in the background....I was there and that is my favorite song, and son sings it sooo very well. Guitar isn't so bad either. Check it out:www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJA-3GTsHWE.

MT
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 02:56
MTMS,your son is a very good singer and I listened closely and could not hear you screaming. Sorry about your weather my weather has been very nice. We still need more rain though.

Swabby to answer your question. No, I could not tell because I would be with the elves or talking to the elves because I am shield maiden that is crazy for the elves.

Sindy, why don't school systems leave well enough alone. We have had a computer that we loved and it worked great and then they gave us another that does not work as well as the old one. They did the same thing to our copier. Well, I hope you have better luck with your new computer. Have a good day.

Hey UK FOFers where are you? Rose,HT,Calle,Mag

:wave:

Mith your picnic sounds so nice. Your neighborhood sounds like a great place to live. I know you are going to miss your lake when you are in the POG as Scots refers to NEB. Good luck with your packing.

Neenime, how is your sister-in-law? Have a good day.

I have to go to work. Bye foe now.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 03:48
I found the clip of your son and his band and watched it, MT. He's a fine looking fellow and the band has a very good and original sound. I couldn't hear you yelling but I listened for you. I know you're a very proud mama.

I figured that "smell" would be a clue that some of you would mention, that is why I said you had danced with them. You all brought up some very interesting points, as I knew you would. I would agree that there might be a problem with Boromir accepting Aragorn as king. As for figuring out who had stayed in what room, I think that Boromir's would likely be messy since he was accustomed to being picked up after. Aragorn, because of his ranger lifestyle, might not have even slept in the bed at all, but used the floor. One other thing I can think of is that we know Aragorn smoked a pipe but I don't remember any mention of Boromir doing so. One might also look for hair strands lying about. I think I could make up some more little quizes like that if y'all want me to.

I'm very sorry to hear about your horse, Randi. I hope that she had had a full and good quality life. Perhaps she is now grazing in that far green country.

I guess my youngest son and I are both a bit apprehensive about his starting highschool next week. It's about twice the size of his previous school and is very difficult to get to because of where it's located, plus there's all kind of construction going on around it. Our town is busting out all over because of the sharp population rise and the one highschool is really taking a hit. I guess we'll adapt. Swabby
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 06:22
Hi everyone

Awelyn I have been reading but not posting. MT your son's band seems very talented.

Interesting questions Swabby - Of course I would look at hunky men in kilts bending over - how to tell the difference well I suppose I could keep rewinding the DVD of a History of Violence and compare the 'bits'. As for the rooms I think Boromir might have someone warming his bed whereas the Ranger is faithful to she who shall remain nameless. Hope your son gets on OK at his new school I am sure he will cope.

Everyone take care I am thinking of you all through various trials and tribulations.

Love and Hugs

HT:heart:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 09:12
Randi, sorry to hear about your horse. It is difficult to lose any living thing we care about. We had a few picnics this year. It is wonderful to have nice neighbors and that we all can get along regardless of the age or other differences.

Yes, Awelyn, we will soon be heading for the POG. I'm trying to stay positive. It helps knowing perhaps I will get to meet Scots. That's always the hardest thing is being alone. But then I will talk with most anyone, whether at the grocery store or just out and about, that will listen, lol.

MT, thanks for the link to your son's video. It was really cool watching it and knowing he is your son! Now we all know why you are so proud of him.

Hi, HT...good to see you here. Thanks for the hug.

Ahhh, Aragorn's :heart::love: scent....that does indeed conjure some deep thoughts... :naughty: You must have know, Swabby, that we shield-maidens would be able to sniff out the Ranger anywhere. I do love your questions and would welcome more. I tried to think of some but so far draw a blank.

Health and happiness to all the FOF. :cheers: :heart::love: :hug:

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 10:24
Swabby, remember if you need a little help or insight I teach ninth grade!

Heri, warming Boromir's bed. You're absolutely right! Good point.

Mith, bye, bye from Ohio! Leaving just as the sweet corn festival, the tomato festival, the bratwurst festival, and the pumkin festival launch into full swing, not to mention tailgating in Cincy and Cleveland, oh and how could I forget Columbus? My DH is ecstatic; he and a good friend are proud owners of OSU season tickets. They camped out on eBay and paid an I don't even want to know price. Men and their toys!

Everyone else, enjoy the last few moments of summer.

Scots, how did week one go?

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 11:32
Oh ,I would like to see and converse with an Elf.
I would dust off my copies of Quenya and Sindarin on the shelf.
I would bow and say Mellon to Master Elrond and his kin.
I would be so happy with Elves and not just men.
I would be like Samwise and want to go to the house of Elrond.
How heavenly to grow up there like Aragorn and with the elves to form a bond.
To learn healing and listen to the stories and hear them sing.
To see Legolas,Haldir,Glorfindel,Elrond what a glorious thing.
I do like Aragorn,Faramir and others.
But if I had a choice Elves would be my brothers.

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 12:43
DADGUMMIT!!! They cut off the video before my "performance". I really belted out a wooohoooo! that would've deafened granny two counties away. A local tv station was filming and "caught it" on their tape. My few seconds of fame, and no way to flaunt it!

Are you going to participate in some of that festival fun, sindy ?? Sounds like there's alot going on in the fall where you are.

How wonderful for you gals to be able to meet up with each other, mith and scots. Be sure to take pictures. It is my great hope to see all of you face-to-face one day.

Starting high school can be both exciting and intimidating. Will be saying prayers for you son and a smooth transition, swabby. May he find things to be not as bad as he imagines.

Hey HT! Do you think that we could persuade Aragorn to become a little more like Boromir in the "warming" department, at least with us loyal, loving shieldmaidens???:heart::love:

Thanks to each of you for compliments on my son's talents. Not sure where he gets them, but I am proud.

Love and hugs to all FoF folk!!

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 03:55
Scots, how did week one go?

Not too bad so far. Now, I do have one class, the last period that I teach during the day, that is an absolute doozy. Out of 20 kids, I have about half of them that are on one kind of educational plan or another. Many serious emotional issues compounded with medical issues as well. It's going to be a challenge. I have a little gang-banger wannabe who slouches in and plays the part. He reminds me so much of my one "nightmare" child that it's spooky. I hope this child doesn't make the choices that he did. He is now the resident of the PoG correctional facility with two babies from two different girls. So, so sad. Another one of my students is a new mother...at barely 12!! So to say that this class is a challenge is a slight understatement. But on the bright side, there are some good candidates for future FoFers. Well, in about 30 years or so. I will do my best to infect them with the "bug."

But really all in all, it's been a pretty good week. I'm trying to find where I fit in and really haven't found my place yet. I feel pretty much out of the loop, and it's not my style to butt in. Kind of a weird feeling. The people on my team are in their early to mid 30s with preschoolers/primary aged kids. One of them isn't married yet, so I'm kind of the granny of the group and don't have the same interests that they do. Oh, well, things will work out the way they're supposed to in the end.

Lesson planning has been interesting with only one to plan. I thought that 50 minutes would be SO much time compared to what I was used to. Ah, NO. I'm still trying to find that balance of what I need to teach and what these kids are able to finish in 50 minutes or less. Another challenge. I am just faced with all kinds of challenges this year. I'll be growing a lot I guess!

Well, I've waffled on long enough. Waffled. I love that word. Rose was the first to use it within my earshot. I wonder where that dragon has gotten herself to???

Take good care all!
Scots
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 11:48
Hmmm...
If Scotland existed before Men then is that where the Elves woke up?
I could go for Elves in kilts anyday!

Randi, sorry to hear about your horse dying... Wish I could be of more help.

I have this preference for Elves over Men and I bet that Aragorn feels and smells more like an Elf then Boromir does...
So more likely then not I would know the difference in their rooms just by
the feelings and the smells in them.

It was cooler today so I got 7 miles in on my walk kind of made up for not doing much walking on wednesday...

TGIF is tomorrow so Happy weekend!:love: :hug: :cheers:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 02:21
Scots, it sounds like you have had a very interesting week. Wow, what a challenge is right. Have a good Friday and a great weekend.

Cat, I guess Elves would have a certain smell so I guess that would be how I would know which room was Aragorn's. 7miles that is amazing. I was swimming yesterday and I am really going to miss that and I have lost some weight and tightened some leg muscle so I will miss it so much and it is so much fun.

MTMS, and I wanted to hear your voice. Your son has very curly hair does he get it from his mom?

Hi Sindy,
I know what you mean about men and their toys. I have three boats in my backyard. Two do not run but he is going to fix them and sell them. He got them 2 years ago. I have a little motorcycle it was a good deal but after he bought it the man could not find the title he would send it later 10 years ago. He drives me crazy. One day it will happen and he will sell. He loves E-Bay .Help
Love to you all have a good day.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 04:16
Sindy, I will miss the Ohio sweet corn for sure. Only five more nights in Ohio for us. I know what you mean about boys and their toys. They just keep getting more expensive. My hubby is a PSU fan as we are originally from Pennsylvania. When the games are on they take precedence over everything else.

Loved your poem, Awelyn. It would be cool to be an elf. Somehow it makes me think that in being one, we would have a better understanding of everything. Rather like living on a higher plane of existence.

My, Scots, you have quite the challenges before you this year. You seem to have such a good attitude about it all - hope it all works out well for you. And that you can truly make a difference in at least some of their lives. Good luck spreading the Tolkien bug.

Happy Friday!!! :cheers: :love: :heart: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 05:59
Randi My heart goes out to you for the loss of your horse . Awelyn was right - anything that we hold dear leaves a gap when it dies. I can;t imagine losing our pet dog. Just know that the pain will pass and we're all here if you need to talk about it.

MTMS Nice song on your son's video. Not fair that they cut off your delightful motherly scream! Darn. If we has web-cam and audio capability you could demonstrate for us. We'll just have to imagine it.

scots You sound as if you'll have your hands full, yet we know that you are a stout-hearted Shieldmaiden, whose resolve is undaunted. My friend who does the Learning Through The Arts program tells me that a lot of troubed and margiinalized kids do well with art and drama. It allows them a voice and a channel for their energy that conventional schooling does not. I've heard this from other teachers and therapists, too.

Hang in there woman! Sam and Frodo slogged through the Dead Marshes, and you can get through this. And no worries about fitting in - you're a woman of heart, spirit and imagination. They'll see your good qualities soon enough. Just be yourself.

awelyn - cute poem. It made me smile.

Elves or Men? Awww, do I have to decide? I love the earthy, rugged, solidness of Men (smells and all). I also love the ethereal, artistic qualities of Elves. Decisions, decisions.......

Many thanks for your prayers and support:heart: My sister-in-law is doing OK post-surgery. They kept her in hsopital overnight because of pain, but she's resting well at home now. Gets a consult soon about whether and when to start chemotherapy.

Love to all.:hug:
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email