<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: August 18, 2006 09:58
Hi guys,

hope this cheers you up I just couldn't resist it after Swabby's challenge.

…..”So you’re telling me we have to do what!” Boromir exclaimed scarcely able to believe his ears.

“I admit it sounds strange” Aragorn admitted “We put these ‘garments’ on and then get a couple of barrels.

“Barrels of what?” Boromir asked, still trying to make sense of the bizarre idea.

“It wasn’t specified, so whatever we can find I suppose”

“And then?”

“And then we carry them a short distance and put them down.”

“But if we lean over whilst wearing these things then everyone will be able to see our…”

“I know!” Aragorn interrupted him, but it’s better than the alternatives.”

“What exactly are the alternatives?”

Aragorn sighed. “You wouldn’t believe some of the things these people can come up with - and that’s even before we get into the authors that do slash.”

“What’s slash?” Boromir asked innocently. Aragorn told him.

“Bring on the barrels!........”

love and hugs

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 10:54
Oh my! HT, you crack me up! I didn't know I was going to "inspire" anyone!

Awelyn, that was A terrific poem. Sindy, thankyou so much for your kind offer--- you may hear from me one day.

I know there are a lot of posts that I need to be answering, but I've been in "artist mode" for the last couple of days and I'm not fully functional when I'm like that. I finally finished the George Clooney drawing which I'd gotten behind on. I don't know how to post it on here, so if any of you would like to see it, I can email it to you. I've already sent it to three of you whose email addresses I had. Hopefully, I will think more clearly in the morning and can make up some more "what if" questions. Have A great weekend! Swabby
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 11:06
Sindy, good luck with your new computer, and copy machine..and above all..good luck with the young yrch..
MTMS..wish you could send some of that rain our way..
That video is awesome! Tell your son he does a great job..I know that you are VERY proud of him!!
Awelyn..will miss your while I'm gone..Hannon le..(thank you) for explaining what POG is..(Neb) but what do the letters stand for?? *Randi is confused*
Swabby..YES!! Please DO continue with your little quizzes..they are most thought-provocating and interesting!
Hannon le (thank you) for the kind words about our horse..we will miss her a lot..but glad that she is not suffering anymore..*sniff*
Good luck to you and your son with the school situation..will keep you both in my prayers..
HeriTavaril..Hope things are going well for you...
Mith..Hannon le (thank you) for your kind words about poor old "Miss Piggy" at least now she isn't hurting anymore..
POG ..what does that stand for??
Sindy..WOW!! lots of festivals there..
Awelyn..LOVE that poem!! Great job!!
MTMS awww!! Would have loved to hear your shout of encouragement to your son!
Scotty..sounds like babies are having babies!! That's SO sad..they havae no childhood of their own..*cries for the children*
Good luck on those challenges.. Waffled?? hehe new word to me!!(second new word I have learned on CoE..the other was "slash"!!
Vicarcat..Hannonle (thank you) for your kind words about our horse..
7 miles!! Wow!! All the exercise I have gotten over the last three days has been behind a push lawn mower! It took hours to do the yard..(had torest often and cool off as the temp was anywhere from 99 to 102 degrees..
Mith hope you have an easy move and safe trip..
Neenime..Hannon le (thank you) for your kind words about our "Miss Piggy" She will be missed..and hope you have your dog for many years yet..What kind do you have? Glad your sister-in-law is doing better..
HT !! I LOVE IT!!! *falls out of chair laughting*
Will be going back to the farm today..and will be back here when I can make it...*hugs to all of you* will miss you!!:cry:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 02:31
*Scots rubbing her hands in anticipation of slipping into teaching new vocabulary words...*

PoG = Plains of Gorgoroth. That is what I so fondly call my home as it seems so devoid of anything Tolkien. No cool fairs, conventions, Tolkien associations, or anything remotely like that! :cry: The state religion here seems to be football. Cornhusker football to be precise. :rolleyes: That is definitely NOT my thing at all. This comes from the daughter of a former Cornhusker football team doctor. It just gets so out of hand. Millions upon millions of dollars spent on the athletics of the good old U of NL while at the same time they're not paying their educational staff squat and closing down departments. Season tickets go for something like $1000 a pop; such a price that some of the students can't get in to see the game because all the big wigs in the state snatch up the seats. And you would not believe the mess that the town gets to be when there is a home game in town. *sheesh* I just stay home. Much easier that way. Okay, off my personal soapbox.

“What’s slash?” Boromir asked innocently. Aragorn told him.

“Bring on the barrels!........”

Okay...what is slash?? I have no clue and am always looking to increase my vocabulary.

:disco: It's Friday and I survived my week with only one screw-up. I did bring my seating chart home because my challenging class has to be moved around. They definitely aren't going to sit where they are now! They does keeps me on my bittie toes!!

Swabby, Your picture is just beautiful! I wish I had some talent in that department. I would love to have a drawing of our merry band of travelers. Now wouldn't that be fun???

Well, off to spend some quality time with the spousal unit. Maybe I can convince him of the worthiness of kilts and barrels. :naughty: :drool: :naughty:

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 02:33
Thanks everyone for the kind words about my poem.

Randi, I will miss you to and I will try to get that letter to you. We can communicate that way until you visit somewhere that has a computer.

Swabby , I am sure all that creativity takes so much out of you. I have to be in a creative mood to write poems.

My central air unit is giving me fits it is not cooling. I have 2 bedroom window AC's so I have the bedroom doors open and a fan running. I have been in the pool most of the afternoon. I washed out the AC unit hoping it would help. It didn't. I am going to try the bowl of ice thing. It is 83 in here to most of you that would be fine but to a menopausal women well, you feel like a Balrog.

Neenime I am glad your sis -in-law is doing better. You are such an encourager. So, I know in your own way you helped you sister-in-law by word or prayer you where there for her. I want to write serious poems but it never seems to come to me. Only cute but I like cute. I just need to concentrate I guess.

Mith when I read your posts it is like coming home. When I have been gone somewhere for a week and I see my house I am so glad to be home. You make me feel at home. Only five more days Well, make the most of them.

Ht you crack me up. I am going to try the ice. It is to late for AC repairman.
:heart:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 03:09
I also like elvish ways, vicarcat, especially when they're wrapped up in a rangerish package, like Aragorn.:heart:

Yes, awelyn, my son does get his very curly hair from me. His is a gorgeous color blonde. He grew it long in college and it was perfect! My hair grows out, now down, and I look like a poodle before too long.

Looks like this will be a year of challange and growth, scots, but you're a shieldmaiden ,ready for the task. I'll be hanging in there with you, by my fingernails, probably.

Glad to hear that sister-in-law did well in surgery. Praying that her treatments will run smoothly and she will be healed, neenime.

Love you sense of wit, HT and the way that you put it into words. LOL!!

Wish that I could send some of this rain your way, Randi. May have to talk with my wizardly friend. He owes me one.

Packing? Moving?? Poor mith !! Hope that you enjoy these last days in Ohio and the move is as smooth as possible. Ever thought of heading south????

You questions and comparisons of Boromir and Aragorn have me thinking, swabby.....(oh no!!) If a shieldmaiden were blindfolded while she kissed Aragorn and Boromir, how could she tell them apart????:heart::love::evil:
(Someone needs to throw some cold water on me, quickly!!)

MT
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 10:15
Just a quick hello to everyone. It's the middle of the night and as I am awake I was puttering around reading all of your posts. I really miss not getting in here so often as I used to.

A quick update from the state of Idaho, my portion of it anyway: things are great here. I can sympathize with those of you experiencing heat and mugginess. We have had mostly heat here. Lots of allergens in the air, though. We have tons of wild fires around us. The other day when BLM grounded because of the accidents (3 in a week) we had no less than six fires right in our little South Hills region. THe days are usually hazed over and the light from the sun is gaining that fall tinge.
School starts with kids here on Monday. Please reserve a few prayers for our kindergarten and second grade teachers who have 28 each in their classes. The kinder teacher has one for whom we are all learning (at an inservice) how to restrain. He is mentally challenged. Bright and friendly but given to outbursts and tantrums.
I only have 11 children this year.I should be able to cover a lot of ground and really spend time with each child.

Hope I can get in here again sooner.
Enjoyed all of your posts.
Brandywine
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 11:11
Awelyn... just pick Aragorn he is the best of both worlds...
Now if we could just send more folks to Rivendell for training we might get
a better world...

I'm not sure just what is up but the street kids seem to think that I've got Rivendell tucked up in the west hills somewhere,
and that they ought to be able to get permission to sleep there at night...
They know I have an apartment down town but they still expect the
camping grounds to be availible...
Any hints on how to make their dream real on a shoe string budget?

Only 3 miles in on my walk today but I've walked enough miles to be at
Rivendell, so I am now headed to LothLorien.

I will keep all teachers on my prayer list along with the challenging students.
Will also put the firefighters on the prayer list too...

Brandywine, You want rain for all the forests? I'll ask for female rain...
nice and soft, soaks in quickly but doesn't cause a lot of runoff.

MT would love to have your poodle curls as my hair is too straight...

Randi, wish I could use a push mower but my back won't let me...
I bet that mowing gives you nice muscle tone...

The weekend is going good so far but lots to get done just the same.

Happy Saturday!:love: :cheers: :hug:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 11:21
Just a flyby post to say hello to everybody -- my Internet connection was dead from yesterday until this morning, probably because of the thunderstorms we had here.

Neenime, great to hear that your sister-in-law's surgery went well. During the last year, three women that I know from elsewhere have been through mastectomy, and two of them had to have chemo, but all of them have recovered well.

Scots, "slash" is fan fiction in which the characters have a love affair, either platonic or physical, and often homosexual. Making Frodo and Sam a couple tends to be very popular, for example. There are some good slash stories, but most of it is quite awful.

MTMS, your son's band is quite good! Too bad that they cut the video before your part.

Mith, hope that your move goes smoothly!

Have a nice weekend, everybody! :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 02:16
Mith - throw cold water on you? Whatever for? That kind of heat is fun to experience. You go for it, Woman! Got to keep all your systems in working order by using them regularly.

And BTW , Mith moving again? Good Galadriel, Woman! I can hardly keep up with you. It's agood ting you carry the tolkien world inside you as a touchstone!

Awelyn – why serious poems? The world can be such a hard place to live in. A regular dose of fun lifts our spirits and gladdens our hearts. Bring on the fun!

Swabby – creativity uses different brain departments that everyday stuff. Artists need space from ordinary world to do there thing Have a good visit there and tell us about it when you come back. You'll be missed.

Heri - you cheeky little darling! That was very funny.

Off to provision my family for the week. First - breakfast with my own version of Faramir (darling hubby).

TTFN :wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 03:04
Hi guys

Aragorn and Boromir, kissing them whilst blindfolded! I nearly had to have a cold shower when I read that! Pretty easy to tell them apart though - Aragorn smokes pipe weed and to my knowledge Boromir doesn't so i think you could taste the difference (at least the way I would plan to kiss them you would!) sorry if I am getting a bit naughty here but I didn't start it Elf lovers might like to try the same with Legolas and Haldir? (Actually I could go for that as well) to misquote Haldir
"The elf kisses so well I could tell it was him in the dark...."

Anyway I had better stop there.

Love and Hugs

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 03:24
I am lifting up heartfelt prayers for the kindergarten and second grade teachers at your school, brandywine. 28 students is waaaay to many in kindergarten, especially if one is a major behavior problem. I'm in a similar situation with only 18 and an aide-thank God for the aide. I still come home exhausted and pray that all my students have received what they needed from me and not just that one.
You with 11!!! That would never happen in my district! You'd be teaching kindergarten or 2nd grade with about 14. Hope that you get to keep your low number.

Glad that your interruption from being on-line was only temporary, morwin. A friend's comp got fried by lightening the other day.

You are right, vicarcat, that Aragorn is the perfect mix of elveness and manliness.:heart::love::evil:

As for tastes in the kissing department, HT, I think that Aragorn would taste of a fine chardonnet and Boromir of ale. In my mind, Boromir's kissing technique would be on the agressive side, where Aragorn would be skillfully gentle.......

MT runs off to take a cold shower!!

What's your perspective on the kissing issue, swabby??

See what you stirred up???

MT
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 03:38
Neenime you are right there is to much serious stuff in this world. I will continue with cute. Thanks for the prospective check. I would be bald if I moved as much as MITH, I think she is so laid back not to stress about all the moves and organized. What a women.

Morwin.glad your service has been restored. I would be lost without my computer. I agree about the slash stories.

Brandywine, you should have a great year with only 11 children. I have been through training learning to restrain a violent child. I know a teacher who had her nose broken and her face was bruised and cut from holding a child to restrain him and he slammed his head into her face about three times. She was holding him incorrectly. 28 kids in a room that is awful. Yes , I will say a prayer for those poor teachers. I hope they are young and have plenty of stamina. Did the fires come very close to your house? I enjoyed hearing from you.

Vicarcat I would chose Elrond. To each his own. I think he is one sexy Elf. You have a good Saturday. I wish I had some curls too:cry:

MTMS, I was smiling thinking of your poodle locks. Why do you think Tolkien had Aragorn choose to die when he wanted and leave Arwen alone for all those years. I would have had it ended quite differently.Appendix A. Maybe I am missing something. I know you have read this book many times. Have I missed something?

I have swept and mopped my floors before it gets to hot. I hope we can get a repairman today.
Have a good day ya'll:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 04:06
Kissing Aragorn and Boromir while blindfolded seems to be quite an inspirational subject! Thankyou for bringing it up, MT. And thankyou for putting that clever and unusual twist on it with that idea of the kissing elves, HT.
What about their hands? Where would Aragorn place his hands and how would he hold you? How about Boromir? Would an elf's passionate kiss be different from A man's?

Aragorn, Boromir and Legolas are all in need of a nurse. You must go and tend to each of them and nurse them back to full health. Now, what would be the nature of each one's illness, (ie, injured while hunting or fighting, sick with the flu. A broken heart?) what items/supplies would you need to bring, what methods/cures would you employ and how long would you need to stay with them? You may choose just one of them if you wish. Remember that you must stay at your patient's side and mustn't be running off for cold showers!

Have a great Saturday! Swabby

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 05:48
Mith you said
In my mind, Boromir's kissing technique would be on the agressive side, where Aragorn would be skillfully gentle.......

Ditto that opinion!

Swabby what a good question!. Haven't time to give it much thought, but here are some preliminary ideas.

Gimli stomach ache and hangover from over-indulgence. Give him some tea of camomille (for stomach aches) and willowbark (for the head) and a stern look. That's as much as he deserves, silly Dwarf. Welllll, OK, OK a little sympathy would be fine.

Boromir has cuts and slashes and bruises from too much fighting on the practice field and a hangover from practicing ale-hoisting skills in the tavern afterward. Maybe a suspicous set of scratches (does the barmaid blush this morning?) A few stitches, some cold compresses for the bruising and scratches and a stern warning about how to treat women.

Aragorn the Ranger would have sunburn and assorted cuts , scrapes and sore muscles from being in the wilderness. He's smart enough to avoid the ME variant of poison ivy or poison oak, but sleeping on teh ground is no heck for those aging bones of his. A paste similar to calomine lotion, lovingly applied to his ouchies is the trick.

If, on the other hand, he is Aragorn the King then he has a monster-sized headache from long and painful council meetings. Cure for that condition involves a full-body massage with some manly scented oil like oak or sandalwood. Followed by a long soak in the nearest hotsprings, with "moi" attending, so as to monitor the patient's condition. After all, I wouldn't want him to slip under the waters, as he'll be worn or, ummm , errr, I mean all relaxed from the massaging activity.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 03:19
Swabby, these demons you unleash! And the DH is out of town!!!!

Elves would be quite the experienced kissers after all those years of practice. :love:

Ouchies for Aragorn? :cry: Sword cuts, poisoned orc arrow gashes, and warg bites...it's a dangerous world. Not to mention horse kicks in Rohan, falling out of trees trying to follow Legolas through Mirkwood, and various nicks and broken bones trying to emulate his two Elvish brothers. Oh, and those strange scratches on his back he seems to get whenever he happens by Rivendell left by a nameless one whose mere mention causes MTMS to go shrieking off to find her sword and lay the wench low. I would bind his wounds, asking his advice as I did, since he is the healer. The rest would have to fend for themselves.

Hey, did everyone forget how to tell Eomer's room at the inn?
It smells of horse......

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 09:47
Well lets see...
I'm not so sure about the Humans but Elves are rather hard to kill...

If it was Legolas it would be sprains, dislocations, or cracked possibly
broken bones from thrashing Orcs in and around Mirkwood...
That would mean imobilizing the affected areas after cleaning him to make sure the cuts don't get infected...
setting bones if broken or binding the ribs if cracked...
dislocations need to be reset so would administer a sedetive and a painkiller before reseting the affected joint...
Legolas would need lots of bed rest and to be turned occasionaly and
bathed carefully if more then one joint was injured...

Boromir would likely have sprains or broken bones from that all night drinking party with his sparring buddies...
And it would be up to the buddies to take care of him, as I don't work with Humans not with a Half-Elven husband I don't...
The buddies would no doubt set his bones after washing Boromir up...

Aragorn might have some scratches or even bruses from sparing with his
Son.
Basic first aid for bruises is a cold compress and a wintermint-pepermint
wipe for the scratches after washing...
Will need to check Son for bruses and scratches too...
not to forget fancy bandages with nifty Ranger designs for both Aragorn
and his Son as they are real pals and will want matching bandages in
bright colors so they can brag about their battle wounds...
Oh and if Elrond's Sons were involved in the sparring then they will want those bandages with the spiral designs in neon on black for their scratches...
Boys will after all be boys...

Now if we were talking about Haldir and his brothers Rumil and Orophin
then we are looking at the results of a Boar Hunt if not a Warg Hunt and
stitches for gashes might be needed along with the basics for cuts and
broken bones...
With Boars and Wargs being so nasty I would use something stronger then
the mint wash for the cuts likely to be a Eucalyptus wash followed by an Alcohol wash just to make sure the wounds were clean...
I am assuming the history in the books rather then the movies with regards
to Haldir and company.

Now if it is Celeborn we are talking about then he might be suffering from loneliness after Galadriel has sailed west...
In that case just being a good friend and a soft shoulder to cry on is what
I recomend...

Not sure how to take care of Hobbits except I would use the same meds as
I used on Humans but would have to refer to a book on anatomy when
setting Hobbit bones...
Dwarves would take the same meds as Elves but again I'd go to the anatomy book for the bone settings...
I don't think Dwarves would sucumb to viruses though Hobbits would...
If it is flu the Elves and Dwarves would not be affected but the Men and Hobbits might be in big trouble... so willow bark tea to bring down the fever and lots of spring water and chicken or poultry soup for the flu victims...
Also soft breads with honey for B vitamins; cherries, crabapples, cranberries
for vitamin C...

Gak I sound like a grandmother... ah well such is life.

Now for something totaly different [well kind of that is]...
Timberwolf and Silverleaf and I have been putting our heads together to
figure out how to rebuild Rivendell on a shoe string...
So far we all have headaches and are saving our pennies for the future
when we have enough funds to put a downpayment on some land...
With the headaches and all... we have switched from putting our heads
together to pondering and researching grants and other funding...
This should lead to less headaches in the future.

Sunday looks good and Timberwolf may double his work hours starting next week so please pray for his extra work hours...
silverleaf and I must both abbly for admissions into masters programs so prayers regarding such are appreciated...

Happy Sunday! :hug:
Not sure what I missed but haven't forgoten Anyone just too many topics
posted in the last week for me to keep up with all of them...

HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 09:50
Nursing Rangers and suchlike.....

Aragorn and Boromir sprain their backs lifting these barrels, Legolas not wanting to be left out of any TLC thats going whimpers that he has broken a nail. All 3 needs lots of cuddles and back rubs and (er, cough!) bed rest! I was about to go for a warm bath but perhaps I should make that a cold shower?. I do imagine though that all three can put up with the most horrific injuries without making a fuss but if they caught a chill it would of course be flu and the poor darlings would be quite unable to do anything other than lie there looking for sympathy.

OK a related question which of these three would make the worst patient?

Love and Hugs

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 08:26
Bed rest? Somehow, I think the women of FoF don't use those two words in the same sentence very much , at least not while discussing Rangers,Elves or certain Men. .
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 08:35
Let's get back to the subject of kissing..........:heart::heart::heart:

Aragorn would be gently holding my face between his hands for our first kiss. After that first one......................:evil:

Boromir wraps his arm around a gal before kissing her.

I am not good at some types of nursing. I don't like the sight of blood or other bodily fluids, or parts on the inside that are showing on the outside. But I do like to comfort those who are sick or wounded.

I imagine both Aragorn and Boromir would recieve their fair share battle wounds. Perhaps Boromir occasionally gets a black eye or split lip from a scuffle in the tavern.
For these hardy warriors, I would seek a trained healer to sew up and/or bind the areas that needed that sort of attention. My job would be to bathe, comfort, encourage and attend them...especially my Lord Aragorn.:heart:
As for Legolas, I can't imagine him injured. I do see him becoming weary of this world and wanting to sail off into the West. Maybe singing elvish (NOT Elvis) songs and reciting poems from the Eldar days would help, for with elves, memory is like being there, I have heard.

Aragorn would be the worst patient, HT. You see a bit of that in the books, where he pushes himself so very hard. Don't think that he spends much time thinking of himself when there's something critical to attend to. That's my kinda guy.

MT
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 08:46
This is very childish but I can't help it...

Aragorn and MT against a tree
K.I.S.S.I.N.G

BTW you have to check this out Ranger girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixiOKyzZUTE&mode=related&search=

It had me in fits

Love and Hugs

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 11:48
:hug: Strider the kingly Ranger video was great, HT, thanks! It had me laughing and smiling as well.

MT, we sure do think alike. I visualized Aragorn :heart: holding my face in his hands while kissing me as well. :love::heart: Somehow as rugged as the Ranger :heart: looks, I imagine him being a gentle and loving kisser. And passionate of course (especially after those long days/weeks/months in the wild). :naughty: :love::heart:

I think Boromir would not be so gentle. He would be full of fire and passion. And it would not be a lengthy event (speaking of TIME here) as he would want to leave more time for feasting and drinking.

As for being the worst/best patient, I think it would be Boromir as he seemed to be more headstrong and have less patience. And while my favorite would be Aragorn, I would gladly tend to any of their hurts or injuries. If all patients were such there would be gals lining up to be nurses, lol! Personally, I think guys make better patients or maybe it is just because us gals don't get the same quality home care when we are under the weather.

Neenime, I loved what you said:
Bed rest? Somehow, I think the women of FoF don't use those two words in the same sentence very much , at least not while discussing Rangers,Elves or certain Men. .
I think the key word here is REST.

Well, back to reality here. Hubby and I went to Cedar Point (a large amusement park) today. It was fun but paying the price now from standing in the long lines and walking lots on the cement. Geeze, the body just isn't what it used to be. But we did ride some real thriller rides. My favorites are the roller coasters of course!

Got lots organized for the move/trip yesterday. It's not really a move, more like an extended stay away from home. I feel rested and ready to go after 4 months at home which seems like quite awhile. There have been years when we were only home a week or two the whole year and that was a bit tougher. It sure does give one a renewed sense of appreciation of all the comforts of home! And most assuredy, Tolkien has been the biggest inspiration, comfort and dream inspiring (Rangers and such) of my life. And FOF has been such a wonderful experience and help through the past year - thank you all! :heart: :hug:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 09:01
Aw come on now... when I said bedrest I meant it the way and Elf sleeps,
soft as a baby and quiet as a church mouse...
Sheesh...
I mean who would cause a wounded Man to exert himself more before healing?
And an Elf definately would want to sleep once the pain was subdued...
Besides the faster he heals the sooner he can party!

It is Boromir that would be the impatient patient for sure...
Though Legolas wouldn't know what to do if he actually caught the flu...
and confused Elves with fevers do get cranky.

Now as for kissing well I'll skip the Humans and just stick to the Elves...
Oh fooey then I have to pick between Elrond, Haldir, and Legolas...
This could take weeks of preliminary testing... which one eh?
Ah well, I'll stick to Silverleaf... he is easy to find.

Well I keep walking but I haven't caught up to Rose yet...
maybe we will meet in LothLorien...

Now if I could get a morgage for a house on some acreage...
gotta get rooms for the Street Elves, as next winter looks to be a cold one....

Raven got his property paid off... but he still needs help with building
the house...
Lisa got a new job but the trip to work and back is over 30 miles each way...

Sigh, I hope this week goes well for everyone!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 03:36
These are some of the most entertaining posts I've ever read! Most of you ladies embrace the "nursing a middle earth hunk" with great enthusiasm, I must say. Of course there are a lot of "ifs" and other variables involved in all of this. I can say, from my own experiences of being cared for while sick or banged up, that thoughts of whoopi are not likely to enter into the male mind if his malady is very serious. It is when you have nursed him back to about 90% health that the likelyhood of having one's bones jumped becomes a distinct possibility.
I find it interesting that most of you have labled Boromir the "bad boy", but to my knowledge, we don't really know how he was with women. I mean, who knows, he may have been a big teddy bear.
You all have most of their injuries resulting from fighting, it seems, but I'd say there is just as much likelyhood that normal, everyday activities like chopping wood or carrying a large game animal out of a gully could be the cause.
What would you do for them if they were emotionally down, worried about a gravely ill friend or relative or mourning the loss of someone close?
How should Eowyn help Faramir to deal with his father's rejection of him?

Enough of that. I took my young son to school this moring and I was most pleased to see, as I was driving away, that he was already walking with two of his buddies. That made me feel much better. Have a great day, all you beautiful nurses! Swabby
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 05:55
Heh... Being an actual nurse I can say this...

If I had Aragorn, Boromir, or Legolas or any of the other ME men to nurse, I'd probably be very professional. (Yeah, right.) After battle, they'd need a bath and depending on the severity of their injuries, might or might not need assistance. Cleaning up blood, bandaging wounds, setting broken bones, stitching gashes... Ah yes, makes me think of my Hospital Corpsman days. And yes, swabby, usuallly when sick and/or injured, whoopie is the last thing on a person's mind. LOL

I would need to find out what was available for pain in those days. Perhaps a tea of willow bark for fever and aches (has salicylic acid in it, a component of aspirin) and a comfrey poultice for the wounds to help with swelling. Heh... Told ya. Too much the nurse here. LOL I'd be treating them kindly, but firmly, and not letting them open up any wounds. They'd be restive, given their warrior natures, but they'd need to lay still for some things and be up for others. Actually, in this day and age, bedrest is rarely prescribed as it slows down the gut and some healing processes.

I know, I know, TMI! LOL

Hmm... As for your next question... I believe Eowyn did help Faramir deal with it, but so did Aragorn as the king, believing in him and trusting him to be his steward. I have a feeling those two had a long and warm friendship. I also believe that Eowyn and Arwen had the same, once Eowyn found Faramir and realized her love for Aragorn was a dream. Rejection by a parent is never easy, but Faramir has always struck me as a very intelligent and wise Man, one who learn from mistakes and missteps. It was obvious his father was not in his right mind for a very long time (too much staring into the Palantir) and if Faramir reminded Denethor of his wife, then pain may have been a part of how poorlly he treated his youngest son.

Phew... Sorry to be so long winded. :blush:

[Edited on 8/21/2006 by BelleBayard]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 07:18
Cat I hope Timberwolf got his extra hours. I was thinking of you throughout Sunday, but forgot to tell you that.

We caught the rising sun on Sunday morning and got some lovely photos. Then my camera showed the "Blinking Green Dot of Death". Never heard of such a thing. I guess it's related to the Blue Screen of Death for computers. Anyway, it's off to the camera hospital for a treatment.

Then we went to a lovely spot where the lake water laps against old, volcanic rock. Ahhhh- such peace. I get a look on my face - like I'm in a trance. Hubby says that the water speaks to my ancient reproductive instincts and I am "making eggs". So be it!
Swabby/b] of course tyou're right about the whoopie business. we Angels pf Mercy were thnking ahead to the patients' rehabilitation phase.

Ahhh, the broken heart of Faramir. He mourns a double loss - that of his father's affection and of his father's life. Now there is no opportunity to set things right. No hope of reconciliation. So, really, he also mourns the future that will not be. A triple loss. That's tough.

That lovely man would need someone to just be with him in silence and sorrow. Unless he is a very atypical male, he'll have little to actually say about it. Witnessing someone's pain in respectful but supportive silence, with careful, use of touch is a real art. I think any of our FoF gals could be up to the task.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 02:37
I faint easily at the sight of blood so I would have called Elrond for Legolas. I would have to ask Belle's help for Boromir and got help from Elrond or Treebeard for Aragorn. I could put a cloth on their head or sings songs or read to them. I could tempt them with delicious but healing food. Maybe some friends like Merry and Pippin to entertain them. I agree with Belle I think Eowyn did help him and Faramir helped her see her love for Aragorn was a dream and convinced her of his love for her. I think both helped the other heal and Faramir knew as his father was dying that he really loved and accepted him. I also agree that he knew his dad was not all there.

Belle my daughter just taught me what TMI meant and I use it now with the girls at work. One worker told everyone at work she does not wear underwear. I think they call then knickers in the UK? Anyway I wish I would have said TMI to her. Should we be doing a new thread?

MTMS and Mith, I think Aragorn would be a gentle kisser but I think Boromir would treat a lady special too. Now Elves could kiss you with a word. And as they spoke and you were caressed by their words .You would finally feel the kiss ever so softly.

Vicarcat. I hope your week is good. Hi , Neenime the lake sounded heavenly and peaceful. Sorry about your camera.
Have a goodnight. Ya'll.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 02:52
This is very childish but I can't help it...

Aragorn and MT against a tree
K.I.S.S.I.N.G

Against a tree,
over a rock,
down in the grass,
swimming in the river,

I would kiss him here or there
I would kiss him ANYWHERE!!!
:heart::love::heart:

I knew I had an unusual husband, but now I know for sure. When he gets sick or has a minor injury, he thinks of "whooipe" as his "medicine." Darnest thing I've ever experienced. Good thing he hasn't been in the hospital as an adult!

Loved the Strider Christmas card, HT. I dabble a bit in "modifying" lyrics, especially ones that involve my main man from LOTR. Could this be a new career for me? Teaching is draining the life out of me this year. :dizzy:

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 03:42
:yawn: :sleepy: I've just read through all the postings since I was last on. It does not bode well that I'm so busy first thing in the school year.

I'm now into my second week of classes and haven't killed anyone yet. One of my kids went to the office for gang related apparel. Now, dummy me hasn't done the training to spot that stuff. Missed it completely! I'm just glad that someone caught it before he was in my class.

Kissing Kings and elves. Boy, I think I could do with some of that.

When I think of Boromir I usually think of a tortured soul. I feel for him having all of his father's expectations heaped upon his shoulders while trying to buoy up Faramir as well. Now it just may be the movies, but I always thought that Boromir felt strongly for Faramir, and I can see him trying to run defense between Faramir and Denethor. I could never understand Denethor's behavior toward his youngest son. Parents should be grateful for the gifts that are sent their way. But that's just me. I guess when you have the fiery ring burned into your consciousness, it's kind of hard to see things clearly.

Off to beddy-bye I go. I am wiped again tonight. Take good care all.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 09:34
Well so far so good...

I'll see Timberwolf tomorrow night and will no doubt find out his schedule then...

I've been working on a light green knit vest and may have it done tomorrow,
ifso then I'll have Silverleaf take a photo of me in it to post...

Not sure how long it will take to get a whole Ranger outfit done...
being my boots are almost worn through on the soles so I need new pairs
before the start of fall term...

And many duties keep coming up all of a sudden.

I will be more focused in about a month...

I'll keep all you teachers in my prayers especially as this year is moving fast...

Oh and Elves do use words very nicely... :blush: Never dare an Elf...

Neenime, do you have that sea calling manifesting near fresh water too?
I always change near large amounts of water...[it is a Elf thingy I know].

Will see you later! :wave: :hug:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 11:20
Just finished the first day of back to school with my 11 students. They are wonderful and at 8 years old they are so cute and sweet. One of them is very young, not 8 yet, but he is also very bright. The little boy who is hard to motivate actually finished all of his work yesterday.
My compatriots in Kinder and 2nd grades faired ok yesterday. They both have full time help in the classroom and we have absolutley the best helpers at our school. Kinder ended up with 29, 1st grade w/16, 2nd grade with 28, 3rd w/11, 4th has 21 and 5th has 12. That's not too bad. It must have been that there were a few very cold winters in their a few odd years.
Only thing hindering back to school is a couple of very tight muscles in my back that make sitting or walking or anything difficult. I had no idea how often you used back muscles to sneeze, cough, and just lean forward. Well at least I know where they are now.
Well, hope you all have fun kissing, nursing and otherwise attending the Rangers, Elves and men in your life. Personlayy I'll let you all do the caring and then I'll take them home for a bit of further recuperation and spoiling.

Scots: My thoughts and prayers are with you. You'll soon get the grasp of school in the big city. I have no doubt of your abilities with teaching.

Hugs,
Brandywine
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 03:41
Against a tree,
over a rock,
down in the grass,
swimming in the river,
But would you kiss him if he'd been eating onions and liver?
Would Aragorn's kiss still tingle your feet
if he'd just ate a sausage he found in the street?
If no soap or water had touched his brown skin
for more than a year, would you still kiss that chin?
If his teeth were quite green and his breath made a stench
would you kiss him all day and still do it "french"?

Hang in there, all you teacher ladies. Your persecutors posses no craft capable of unmaking you. Have A great Tuesday! Swabby
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 08:10
Would Aragorn's kiss still tingle your feet? Any Kiss from a Ranger would be sweet
if he'd just ate a sausage he found in the street? If it meant that we could meet.
If no soap or water had touched his brown skin. I could hold my nose or breathe in.
for more than a year, would you still kiss that chin? Yup but my rhyming is getting thin!
If his teeth were quite green and his breath made a stench? - Even if it was quite dense
would you kiss him all day and still do it "French"? Mais Oui Mon ami! It still makes sense!

Love and Hugs

awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 04:04
Green teeth I don't care if its Jon Bon Jovi no way. Green teeth turn me off as do bad body odor. I can't help it. I do not mind a little sweat or a little odor but if you stink forget it. HT , you are one special women that your desire overcomes your nostrils.

I saw a sweet 4 month old with Downs Syndrome today. I want to learn as much as possible about this to help this baby and her mom. Mom is slow and needs help.

Brandy sorry about your back. Have a great year.

MTMS and Scots hang in there things can only get better.

Vicarcat I would never dare an Elf.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 06:41
Hi everyone.

I have to hand it to all of you. You crack me up. I have never laughed so hard in all my life. It's exactly what I needed right now.

I just found out my boss at the lottery booth just lost her father to ALS and my boss at Safeway also lost his father. It's been a sad week here.

As for healing the sick, I would like to care for Boromir. I have a rugged talent to rugged men. The rougher the better. :naughty: I would keep him in bed for as long as it takes. After he 'survives' I would party with him. I would feed him food.

If I was blindfolded and had to find out who I was kissing, I would notice the difference. Even if Aragorn was rough, or Boromir was gentle, I would notice the difference. Aragorn's mouth is small, according to the movies, and Boromir's is larger.

As for Elves, I would like to have Haldir in bed with injuries. He looks like the kind of man that would need tender loving care. I could do that. Actually, I would be good at being rough and tender. I can go either way.

I just got two new cd's lately and having a good time listening to them: Crazy Frog and More Crazy Frog. They are what the doctor ordered. I can relax to them while on the computer.

If it was emotional, then I would help them get through it by getting them to remember how it was having that person alive. I would get them to talk about that person. I know when I'm down about a person, I know it helps to talk about it. If I had Boromir alone, without anyone around, it would be easier to talk. Like when Boromir talked to Aragorn, in the movie. It showed that Boromir had a soft side to him when he talked of his father and the White City.

I would like to salute the teachers that made it through their first week of teaching. It is the hardest thing to do, to get used to new kids and them getting to know you. I will have you all in our prayers.

BTW, it's almost time for a new thread. We are getting pretty close to 600 again. yahoo. :disco: :rolling: :cheers: :wave:

This is one thread we can keep going. It's the people who join us that makes a difference. cheers to us.

Well, I have to go. I have another part of my story caught in my head and if I don't get it down on paper soon then I will forget. Must be something to do with being 40+ years.

Namárië
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email