Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Hope of a Shieldmaiden (keep)
on: November 05, 2006 02:24
"Forget it Feorran, everyone draw your swords."

And at that comment everyone looked at Ciron in suprise, for he never used to even talk of fighting. But as the footsteps came nearer, they took out their weapons and prepared for the fight. Then 3 guards came around the corner, and they began to shout, but Ciron ran towards one of then and thrust his blade into him, the guard tried to parry it but was too late.

Then the two guards left ran away up the passageway.
"Theres a door here,"Ciron shouted, and pushed a door in the wall, to reveal another room.
"Everyone in here, it might lead to somewhere else,"Ciron said, and jumped into the datk room.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2006 10:31
Feorran squinted into the dark room. "You couldn't pay me to go in there," she said. "I'll find my own way out," she added to no one in particular, and dashed off up the passageway after the guards. She whistled softly, and both the retreating guards turned around. She punched both of them hard in the jaw, keeping her promises never to injure anyone from the back, and left them unconscious leaning against the wall.

She dashed up the stairs and out of the inn, pulling her hood over her head. Where a group would be noticed, one person was not.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2006 01:49
"Feorran don't!" Geongan whispered, but Feorran had left. Geongan bit her lip, she couldn't leave Feorran alone. She looked at Eorla, Diore and Ciron. "I can't leave Feorran, you three will be able to defend yourselves." Geongan said, then she too left the group. Geonagn slipped down the hallway quietly. She saw the two unconscious guards and smiled. "Thats my Feorran." Geongan whispered. Then as she turned out of the hallway, the guards were coming right towards her. Geongan swore and turned away from the guards. The guards came over to her and grabbed her shoulder. "Excuse me miss, but have you seen a group of people in this building?" The guard asked. Geongan didin't look up. "No, I haven't seen anyone." Geongan whispered. Then another guard stepped forward. "Thats one of them, she was the one I spoke to when they arrived." The guard said. Geongan's head shot up, it was Fhaleen. Geongan had to escape. She noticed that she stood under a large lantern. Geongan jumped up and swung on the lantern, hitting the guard in front of her. When he fell he bumped into another guard and they all beagn to fell. Geongan let go of the lantern and raced for the door.
Geongan quickly threw her hood over her head and ran for cover. Geongan wanted to find Feorran, but she had to find a place to hide for a while.
Geongan burst through the door to a house. A young woman and an older man stared at her as she charged in. Geongan quickly got her balance and looked at the people. "I am sorry for intruding, but I need a place to hide." Geongan said. "Of course you are welcome, but why do you need to hide?" The girl asked. Geongan figured the young girl was the daughter of the older man. "I am a escaped prisoner and my friends and I are here to help bring peace back to Rohan, but right now that seems pretty hopeless." Geongan said. The girl quickly led Geongan to a room. "Thank you." Geongan said. The girl smiled and walked out of the room. Geongan hoped Feorran would be alright, but then Feorran hadn't been seen by the guards so she would probably be alright.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2006 02:55
Feorran turned around to see Geongan burst out of the inn and into a house. She searched in a bag she had stolen from the inn and found some wrting materials. She had learned to write in her childhood, and then she wrote a short note to Geongan. Geongan, it said. I have gone to find Hafoc. I am fine, the guards did not dee me, and you will be able to find me outside the entrance to Edoras, with Hafoc, in half an hours time. If you find the others, tell them the same. i will wait until sunset, and if you have not found me by then I will come and find you! Feorran. Feorran folded the note in half and pushed it under the door. Then she ran off down the road, and stopped and whistled. She looked up and down the road, listened, and then ran one way. Hafoc met her on the street. 'I wonder what the people of Edoras thoguht of a horse such as yourself wandering the roads," Feorran said softly to Hafoc. She mounted and rode swiftly to the entrance to Edoras, where she dismounted and had a bite to eat, also from the bag she had stolen. Then she waited for everyone to come and find her.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2006 04:48
The young girl had found the note under the door. "Miss? I think this note is for you." The girl said. Geongan took the note and read it quickly. Geongan didn't know where the others would get out, or how she would find them since she was being hunted. Then Geongan got an idea. "Excuse me, can you tell me your name?" Geongan asked the girl. "I am Afor." Afor said. "Afor, would you do me another favor? I have to get out of here but I have other friends. I don't know where they are but if you see them will you give them this message." Geongan asked, she gave the girl Feorran's note, since she was too hurried to write one herself. "Who am I looking for?" Afor asked. "A young man and two women." Geongan said. "I will look for them." Afor said. "They are all wearing cloaks I believe." Geongan said. Afor nodded. Geongan hugged the girl and left to find Feorran. First she went to the stables and got Darkfire, she led him quickly down the road.
Then when she came to the entrance she found Feorran. "Feorran, I sent someone to warn the others." Geongan said. "Where so we go from here, when out other friends come?" Geongan asked.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: November 06, 2006 10:00
Eorla trailed after Ciron and Diore, her mind whirling at the past occurrances. She could not see well in the dark, but managed to follow her companions by listening to their scuffling and labored breathing.

In a few moments Eorla paused, shushing the others. No sounds of pursuit followed, and Eorla whispered, "I think it is safe to go back for the time being. Perhaps we can find Geongan and Feorran." Without waiting for a reply she padded back the way she had come, feeling the wall for her bearings. In a few moments she was back in the hallway, her head twisting from side to side. She caught a flash of movement out of the corner of her eye, then felt a sudden jolt on the back of her neck, then nothing.

"Oorg," Eorla groaned, opening her eyes. It was still dark, and for a terrible moment she feared that she had gone blind. Then a fetid smell met her nose, earning a grimace of distaste and pain. "Where am I?" she asked aloud, gingerly touching the back of her neck.

"Welcome," a voice said. "Welcome to your new quarters." Eorla sat up slowly, craning her head. "Who is that?"

"No one," the voice answered promptly. Eorla blinked, then felt her wrists which seemed unusually heavy. Cold steel, in a bracelet and links, met her fingertips. In a panic she felt for her sword, pouches, anything, but all were gone. "Where are my things?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"Oh, they're safe," the voice (by now Eorla could tell it was male) replied. "Which is more than I can say for you. His Highness will be interested in finding out your associates doings, not to mention your own."

Determined to find out what he meant, Eorla asked, "What do you mean? Am I still in Edoras?"

"Oh, you could call it that," the man answered. Another voice grumbled something, and try though Eorla might she could get no more out of the man. She spent a while standing, yelling at her captors all the curses she knew and some she didn't, but to no avail. Finally she sat on the dirty floor, tucking her knees under her chin, and watched for any movement. However, although she didn't mean to, her head nodded and she slept soundly.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2006 03:01
"Where do we go from here, when our other friends come?"

"I can't really say, we should wait for them before we make that decision," replied Feorran.

An hour later, Feorran was anxiously pacing back and forth. "Where are they?" she said softly, really beginning to worry. She was sure that if Geongan trusted the person she had told to pass the message on to do so, then the person would definitely do it, but Feorran couldn't shake off the gnawing feeling that something had happened to them. She felt useless, pacing outside Edoras.

Eventually she said to Geongan, "I'm going to look for them, what if they've been captured, or killed, or..." Feorran shook the graphics out of her head and made for the entrance back into Edoras.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: November 08, 2006 10:39
When Eorla woke, it was still dark, but a small shaft of light trickled into her cell. Getting up with a groan (the floor was very hard and uncomfortable) she stretched as much as her bonds would allow. "Hello?" she called.

A small door a few inches tall opened and a bowl of gruel slid through. "Breakfast," someone said. "I'll be back in five minutes."

Eorla glanced at the gruel distastfully, but ate it knowing that it was imperitive to keep her strength up. When the guard came back, Eorla reached through her bars and grabbed his shirtfront with an iron-hard grip. "Tell me where I am and what's going on *now*," she growled.

The guard, who couldn't have been more than fifteen, stammered, "I--I--I don't know! W--what do you mean?"

"I mean," Eorla said, tightening her grip, "am I still in Edoras? What are you going to do with me?" The boy's face dripped with nervous sweat as he said, "Y--yes, you're still in Edoras! I don't know what they're going to do with you! I swear, I don't know!"

The boy seemed on the verge of tears, so Eorla let him go with a bit of remorse at frightening him so. "Thank you," she murmered. The boy made an attempt to smooth out his collar, then abandoned it and fled up the hall.

Eorla sighed, then went to the end of her chains. She pulled on them repeatedly, even though she knew it was for nothing. With a final jerk she stopped, then began pacing in circles. Perhaps her friends would find her soon, but she held little hope.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2006 11:03
Geongan nodded at Feorran, Geongan wanted to go with her but knew that someone had to stay with the horses, and just in case someone came.
Geongan sat down and chewed on a piece of old bread. eventually she gave up chewing on the bread and threw it into the street.
Geongan yawned, the sun was begining to set, what was taking so long? Geongan was temped to go and find Feorran, but knew that it would be better to stay, so she laid down and went to sleep.
After a while Geongan felt someone kick her. She woke quickly, but stayed lying down so the person wouldn't see her face.
"Get up! What are you doing just sleeping here! Get up and move your horses to the stables." The guard shouted. Geongan remained still, her eyes were open wide, what was she going to do now?
"I said get up!" The guard shouted, he grabbed her arm and pulled her up. Geongan's hood fell off her head, and she looked into the face of Fhaleen. He looked shocked at first, but the shocked turned into an evil grin. "Looks like I caught myself a runaway, but not a very smart runaway." Fhaleen said. Geonga didn't know what to do, but she had to think fast.
Fhaleen pulledd her to her feet, and before he could bind her hands she punched him so hard he fell back. Geongan took this opportunity to jump up Darkfire and she rode out of Edoras.

Geongan rode until she knew guards were not going to come after her. She reined in Darkfire and sat there sadly. "I hope Feorran and the others are going to be alright." Geongan said. "I shouldn't have left, but I would have only gotten myself killed if I stayed." Geongan argued. Then she sighed. "I guess I'll just have to set up camp and wait for them to follow." Geongan said as she dismounted. A cold wind blew around her, she quickly began to make a fire. "I hope they don't think I've been captured, there is no way I can tell them...no, they will know that I am safe." Geongan said, trying to reassure herself. It was a waiting game now, waiting for her companions.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2006 03:15
Feorran quickly gathered her sources of information and within two hours she had found out where Eorla was being held. She headed there with as much speed as she could use without loking suspicious. One of the guards was standing just inside the doorway, she knocked him unconcious with a hard punch to the jaw and took his cloak. She put it on and put the hood up.

Then she went down the hall, and soon found the cell holding Eorla. She had been stopped by many a guard, and she looked back remorsefully at the unconcious bodies she had left in her wake.

"Eorla!" Feorran whispered sharply. "I've come to get you out of here. Where are the keys, and tell me quick!" She spun round and knocked out another guard that was striding purposefully towards her. "Quick!" said Feorran again, keeping her fists in a defensive position as she looked round nervously - she did not want to use her sword.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2006 06:52
Ciron had no idea where he was, but it was dark and wet. He stood up from the lying poosition he had just been in, for someone had just ran past him in the darkness but their footsteps had faded away now. He ran towards a crack of light and when he came out he was in the middle of edoras.

He decided that he would not sit and as usual wait for someone to save him. He would be his own hero for a change. So he stole a hooded cloak in the style of the rebels from a shop im=n the street, and began to walk around the city, staying away from the soldiers and anyone who looked suspicious. It seemed that the city had grown in size under the rule of the new leader, but it was now a city of industry. Ciron thought that this had to stop. He grabbed a torch from a nearby wall and carried on searching for one of his friends.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: November 09, 2006 09:33
Eorla watched incredulously as Feorran leaped into the hall after decking several guards. In response to the inquiry about the keys, Eorla searched fervently across the walls, mentally kicking herself for not looking for that before.

As Feorran held off the seeming endless stream of guards Eorla caught sight of a ring of keys hanging on the wall. "There!" she hissed, pointed between the bars. If she were free she could reach them, but they were just out of reach---her fingers could barely brush them---

Eorla fell forward with a jolt, banging into the bars. She glanced back, noticing how the rusted chains had snapped, and reached through the bars again. This time she ed the keys off the wall and frantically began going through each one in an attempt to unlock her manacles.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2006 11:00
Geongan sat quietly, she stared at the city on the hill, her home. It had fallen to their enemies and now she knew not where her friends were. "Is Eorla even alive? Are any of them alive?" Geongan wondered sadly. Geongan had made a promise to herself when they had all been reunited that she would protect Feorran like she was her own little sister.
Geongan shivered, it was getting dark and the wind howled. Geongan laid down by the fire, but she didn't think she could fall alseep. "I must return to my friends." Geongan whispered. "I will go back if they don't return by tomorrow." Geongan declared, she wouldn't let them suffer and die by the hand of the rebels. "I will protect my friends, even if I lose my life in the process." Geongan whispered, that reminded her of the prohecy that had yet to come true.
With that last thought Geongan fell asleep.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 03:38
Díore bit her lip as she was brought before Rinfelir. She was forced to kneel and bow her head before the handsome man. “Well, my dear, it seems as if you have been plotting against me with others, namely the king of Gondor,” Rinfelir said, his voice a hiss.

The maid was forced to her feet. Through clenched teeth, she replied, “I have done no such thing. What proof have you of anything?” Her eyes blazed hatred, and she strained against the guards, but they held her firmly back.

“One of my guards saw an unknown man enter your house earlier today,” Rinfelir smirked triumphantly, stroking his chin. “Was a lover perhaps? Because if he was, that would be adultery. You are my betrothed, remember?”

“I was never promised in anything! You are a liar!” Díore cried harshly, trying desperately to be rid of the guards’ hold on her. “You put words into my mouth, and make it seem as if I relented. I have not, and I will never!”

“You impudent wretch!” one of the guards cried, raising a hand to slap her. “You dare to speak to your lord like that?”

“Enough, man!” Rinfelir said abruptly, standing and stepping off the dais the throne was on. He strode purposely toward Díore, his jaw set. “You call me a liar? Well, love, it is high time for us to be wed so we don’t have any more of this…reluctance.” He stroked her brow with a cool finger and sighed. “So beautiful, so willful,” he whispered softly. “What a pity it will be to have to tame you, as I have oft said before.”

Díore wrenched her head out of Rinfelir’s reach and spat in his face. “A marriage will never happen,” she snapped scathingly. “Do what you will with me, there is nothing that can be worse than living in a city ruled by one such as yourself. You are nothing but a snake.”

Rinfelir stepped back and wiped his face calmly. “So you say, but I hold the one key to make you obey my will. Your parents.”

Díore’s eyes widened in horror. “You wouldn’t dare!”

“I would,” the man continued, “and I will. By all rights, I should imprison you here, but I am a lenient man, given to second chances. I will send you home, and yes, I know about Hurind’s death. I know not who did it, but I will find out. You will return tomorrow, and we will be wed. That is the only way to stop you, and any thoughts of rebellion. I will show everyone that the wildest filly can be tamed, even broken, as you will by the end. Pleasant night.” He gestured, and the guards dragged Díore away, all the while with the maid shouting curses that caused some of the guards to visibly cringe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A silver-white moon rose in the sky and shone over Edoras. A biting wind pierced even the thickest clothing, leaving the wearer chilled to the bone. Regardless of this, Díore slipped out into the night, disguised as a peddler under a thick cloak. She hobbled along aimlessly down one of the cobblestone roads and muttered under her breath. A lonely guard, his breath coming out in wisps of smoke-like mist, called out harshly to her. “Old one, why are you here?” he queried, visibly shivering.

“I am doing no harm to anyone, milord,” Díore replied, her voice taking on that of an old woman, worn and hoarse.

“So they all say,” the guard said, rolling his eyes. “Go along home, there is no reason for you to be out here.”

Díore recognized the voice and whispered as she neared the guard, “Alardin, it is me.”

The guard started visibly. “Díore! You will only get yourself in more trouble. Go home!”

Díore drew up her hood so that Alardin could see her face. “I can’t. There is nothing left for me here. I cannot help anyone by marrying Rinfelir, and though it grieves me greatly to leave my parents behind, I cannot help but think that Rinfelir will do them no harm for rebel or not, he will need my father’s knowledge for something. I will go to Gondor and speak with King Aragorn. That is the best thing to do right now.”

Alardin took her hand. “Go then, and the Valar be willing, you will come back safely.”

Tears came to her eyes, and Díore brushed them away hurriedly. “Tell the others, my companions, everything, and send them after me if they wish to come. I will get to Minas Tirith in a few days if I can get a horse.”

“Durithil is stabled nearby. I will get him for you.” Alardin left silently and came back a few minutes later, leading the coal-black stallion. “His coloring will serve to hide you somewhat. And I can see that he has missed you,” he added when Durithil nudged his mistress and whickered softly. “Have a safe journey, and I will await your return.” He kissed her hand and squeezed it gently.

“Farewell,” was all that Díore could whisper.

“And I will tell your companions if I should find them,” Alardin said as Díore took her horse’s reins. “Farewell!”

The maid nodded, and she led Durithil to the front gate where Alardin let her out. There were enough marks on the path to hide Durithil’s hooves. Díore mounted her horse and nudged him into a trot. Tears flew freely down her face as she rode all through the night, stopping only once or twice to rest. She had a vague notion of what could happen in Minas Tirith, and a sure notion of what would happen once Rinfelir knew that she was gone. Help was the only thing on her mind, and that was the only thing that gave her hope as well. She would reach Minas Tirith and the safety of Aragorn, or risk death by trying.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 06:38
Ciron had reached the top of Edoras and had kept to the shadows, he crept behind the great hall and when he met a guard he slit his throat from the back. He climbed up the wall and extinguished his torch.

Eventually he was standing on the top of Edoras, the golden hall, the beacon of rohan. He looked out over the rolling plains, and as he did several people saw him stasnding on the roof. He relit his torch with something he had kept in his pocket, and as the crowds began to form beneath him he threw the torch onto the roof.

THe flames sprang into the night, and a fire began to spread about the city of wood. Ciron had easilly got down from the roof unseen and on a horse from a stables he galloped through the city to the gate, on his way he saw Feorran and Eorla
"Hurry, we must leave"
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 07:39
"Geongan's waiting outside," Feorran shouted up to Ciron, breaking into a run. "We'd better go straight there, she'll know what to do." I think, she added silently. Feorran and Eorla ran, and Ciron rode, to where Geongan was waiting, and Feorran embraced her with a wide smile.

"I told you I'd find them, didn't I," said Feorran, smiling. "But now where do we go? Ciron lit the beacon, the guards will be looking for Eorla and soon one of the many guards I had to knock out will be coming round and looking for me too! I tried to keep things quiet, but you know what I'm like," laughed Feorran, mounting Hafoc swiftly.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 08:07
When they came they rode out swiftly. "We had better get as far as we can from Edoras, we won't be able to return for a long time I think." Geongan said, she looked back at her home.

They rode until Edoras was a little speck on the hill. "We had better rest here." Geongan said as she dismounted. Ciron helped her make the fire.
Geongan sat by the fire and warmed her ice cold fingers. Geongan was thinking about where they should go. Geongan had a strange feeling, she felt that they should go to Minas Tirith. "I propose that we make our way to Minas Tirith. We will be able to get some help there." Geongan said. Geongan looked at her companions. "What do you think? Should we all leave or should one or two of us stay?" Geongan asked. Geongan hoped that maybe Feorran and herself could stay and watch out for any trouble in Edoras, but she waited to see what everyone else thought.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 10:08
"I would rather stay with someone else, if that is not too much trouble. I have lived here for half my life, and I am not willing to go off into an area where I have no familiarity with," Feorran said. "But if I have to go, I will," added Feorran quickly.

She sat down by the fire next to Geongan and put her hands next to the flickering flames. When they were warmed through, she sat and watched the dancing pictures in the burning depths of the fire.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2006 11:19
Ciron looked back at the city of Rohan, which was now slowly being swallowed by flames, but he was sure that they would put the fires out. His plan had been to make much damage in the city which would need a lot of repairs, and thencome back with an army from GOndor

"We all need to go to Minas Tirith, i have been there before, so i can be your guide, but it is too risky to stay anywhere in Rohan now, with the fire and all". Ciron said.
"Tomorrow, we should go"
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 07:46
Geongan didn't want to leave, but maybe it would be the better thing to do. She looked over at Feorran. "It would be the safest thing to do my friend. We should go." Geongan said. Then she looked back at Edoras. She felt like her world was tumbling down, and she had to do everything in her power to brign the world back to normal again.
After a while Geongan laid down on a single blanket and fell asleep.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 10:48
Feorran's face fell slightly, but no one saw seeing as her face was in shadow. She felt like she was stepping off a cliff into the unknown again, and she was not particularly happy about it, but she just wanted to do whatever she could to get the world to how it once had been, a long while ago.

"I'm not being on first watch, I want to sleep," she said stibbornly, lying down and pulling her cloak over her.

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 12:41
The next morning Geongan woke everyone, she had been on the last watch. "Come on everyone, we should get going." Geongan said, she had already tacked her horse.
She mounted her horse and followed beside Foerran, for the first time Ciron took the lead, Geongan didn't have to look after him anymore.
Geongan smiled, she was so proud of Ciron, he had grown so much. Then she looked at Feorran who didn't look very happy. "You alright Feorran?" Geongan asked. She knew what was wrong, she didn't want to leave home either. Geongan put her hand on Feorran's shoulder. "Don't worry friend, we'll be back home before you know it." Geongan said with a smile. Then Geongan looked ahead and saw that Ciron and Eorla were going much faster and were much farther ahead. "Come on Feorran, we can't let them be ahead of us!" Geongan said playfully. She spurred Darkfire to a swift canter and raced ahead.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 09:43
Feorran took up the challenge eagerly and barely had to give Hafoc any signal, he saw Darkfire racing off and leapt into a ridiculously fast gallop. She leant over his neck and soon outstripped first Eorla, then Ciron, then Geongan. Feorran looked back and smiled at everyone shrinking into the distance. She cheered, and listened to Hafoc's hooves pounding the ground. Then she had a thought that should have occurred to her before: When should I stop? But she answered that question before she had even finished thinking it: Never! She changed her mind and decided that if everyone else stopped she would, but until then she was not going to surrender her increasing lead.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2006 12:10
Ciron sighed thoughtfully at Feorrans natural competiveness. He raced ahead but made no progress as he was fairly new to riding horses still. He knew they had a long way to go before they reached minas tirith.

THen he realised that he was still wearing the clothes of the rebels. He looked behind him and the only thing that he could see in the distance was a whisp of dark cloud, he knew up close that the city may have still been burning, but no innocent people could have been harmed as they could have escaped easilly.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: November 13, 2006 12:16
Eorla laughed as Rogue sprinted forward, glancing behind to see Feorran shoot past. Rogue sped up, her gait taking on the feel of an avalanche, and Eorla considered briefly slowing the mare down. But the thought quickly fled as Rogue stumbled, then hit the ground with a sickening thud.

Eorla flew over the mare's ears, bracing herself for impact by curnling into a ball. She bounced twice before screeching to a halt, then slowly uncurled. Grass cuts and burns criss-crossed in fire across her face and hands, but she paid them little mind as she lurched to her feet and ran back to Rogue.

The roan mare had apparently scrambled to her feet right after falling, but her front right leg hung limp. Fearing the worst, Eorla sobbed as she felt the affected limb, then nearly collapsed with relief. The leg was fine; no broken limbs, no pumping gash. Eorla sucked in a huge draught of air and looked up at the others who were running back. She waved an arm to signal that she was fine, but her resolve ed and tears poured down her face in a mixture of relief, worry, and guilt. She managed to choke out, "We're fine," before words became impossible to force past the lump in her throat. She leaned against the warm neck, forcing her breath to calm, twisting her fingers in the black mane, and somehow recovered enough to answer the other's questions.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2006 02:53
Feorran looked back, laughing, at then reined Hafoc in and swore colourfully. She wheeled her horse around and galloped back to Eorla and Rogue. He halted barely a foot away from them.

"Are you alright?" asked Feorran, swinging herself off Hafoc's back and landing lightly on her feet.

"We're fine,"
she heard Eorla say to them all and she sighed in relief. At first she had been feeling guilty - she should not have raced so fast, not all horses were as surefooted and competent as Hafoc - but when she found that they were both fine all guilt fell from her mind. Feorran helped Eorla to her feet and frowned at the grass stains all over her.

"We'll have to get you cleaned up," she said thoughtfully.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2006 09:45
Geongan watched the fall with horror. She almost jumped off Darkfire, but stayed on when she saw that Eorla was alright. Geongan sighed with relief. "Thats the last time we should race, we need every available person to help right now, we can't have anyone hurt." Geongan said. Then she walked over and helped Eorla up. "We should stop and rest the animals for now." Geongan said, she looked concerned still, but she knew that Eorla was strong.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2006 11:32
Ciron watched the fall in silence, and quickly went to Eorlas aid. They tied the horses to a near tryy with plenty of rope so they could move far. Then they all went to sleep on the soft grass, it seemed that this was a tiny island of peace and tranquility amongst death and disaster. THe stars burned birghtly and the moon cast a glow over all the land around them. Nothing was stirring save small animals. Ciron felt fine for what felt like a very long time.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 02:55
Thought it was peaceful and still, Feorran could not sleep. When she shut her eyes she saw pictures that she had trying to escape from, and so opened them again. After a long while of trying to get to sleep, and failing, she got up and paced back and forth, thinking and frowning. Eventually she walked over to Hafoc, who whickered a greeting, and she took off his tack and began the long, methodic process of grooming him. This always calmed her down, and it kept her horse in better condition too. When she was finished she put the tack back on him and mounted, walking him steadily around in circles, making him step backwards, and once she was completely calm she let him rear and pound the air with his hooves. This was how ((whoever posts next )) saw her when he/she woke up.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 05:34
Díore saw the bright pillar of flame that was Edoras, and she panicked, not knowing what caused it. She kicked Durithil into a gallop, and the tired horse responded by breaking into an unsteady lope. His breathing came in spurts; his sides were slick with sweat. They had been running all night, but Díore wanted to put as much distance between them and her home as possible. “Boy, I know you are tired, but the farther we are away the better,” she crooned softly, giving Durithil his head.

Mile after weary mile, the ebony horse forged on. Mile after weary mile, Díore clung to his back in the hope that they would make it to a village. Her patience was not long in being rewarded. About thirty miles outside Edoras, there was an immensely small town, with scarcely more than a dozen homes, an inn, and a blacksmith shop. Durithil plodded wearily into the silent town two days after they had fled Edoras. He halted in front of the inn and wouldn’t go a step further. A man came out of the inn and hailed Díore. “Miss!” he cried, waving a hand. “Can I help you?”

Díore slid from Durithil’s back and stammered breathlessly with fatigue and cold, “Yes, sir. I need a room for the night and a shelter for my horse.”

Taking pity on the maid, the man came forward and took the horse’s reins. “You both look dead on your feet. Where do you hail from?”

“Edoras,” the maid replied, too exhausted to lie. “I flee from the lord there.”

The man nodded wisely. “I see. Come with me, and your horse will be well taken care of.”

Díore inclined her head in thanks and followed the man into the inn. It was small and cozy, not like the rowdy taverns with rank drunkards like she was used to. She sat in front of a blazing fire, and the rosy bustling innkeeper’s wife pressed a mug of ale into Díore’s frozen hands. “My, my,” the woman clucked, fretting over the maid’s damp hair and sodden clothing. “You will catch your death out here if you don’t warm up. Now, my dear, where are you bound?”

“Minas Tirith,” Díore replied, sipping the ale and feeling the drink’s welcoming effects wash over her. “I leave at dawnbreak.”

“Not without a thick cloak and a good rest,” the innkeeper’s wife scolded, taking the wet cloak from Díore’s shoulders and draping it on a chair.

“I cannot bide here long,” Díore said, huddling deeper into the chair.

“I suppose not,” the woman allowed. “But if you don’t rest, you only risk killing yourself and your horse.”

“My lady is right,” the innkeeper said, coming in from the cold. “You are lucky you chanced upon this place. A good rest in our stable will do wonders for your horse. I am Herith, by the way. And this is my goodwife, Iohela. You are welcome here.”

“I thank the both of you from the bottom of my heart,” Díore replied graciously. “I am called Díore, or I suppose you could call me a renegade,” she added with a rueful smile.

“Well, that is all good, but now you need to rest up in one of our rooms. You are here free of charge because of your condition. There is no need for thanks or anything. Anyone who is against the lord in Edoras is welcome here,” Iohela said, taking Díore’s hand and showing her to a room. The maid fell into the bed immediately and slept through the night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Díore left Herith and Iohela, laden with a haversack of supplies and a thick cloak to protect against the weather. She rode out of the village at a steady pace so as not to wear Durithil out. He was much better for the rest, but both horse and rider had still the fear of being caught. They kept to the road, and Díore hid her face from passersby. Thankfully, they met no soldiers nor did anyone impede their way. The day was fair for a winter day. It was past midwinter, and there was a hint of spring in the air. The snow on the road was packed, making it easier for Durithil to gain a purchase as he loped along. Díore had no clue where her friends were or even if they knew that she was gone, but the one thing she did know was that she was going to make it to Minas Tirith soon, and nothing was going to stop her.

(Sorry it has been so long...too much going on!)
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 07:06
Geongan smiled when she saw Feorran on Hafoc. "You are amazing with horses Feorran. I think you could even teach a few elves some tricks." Geongan said. Then she looked back at the others who were just begining to wake. "I'm guessing we are all ready to head for Minas Tirith now." Geongan said as she looked at everyone. She walked over and began to brush Darkfire. "I hope King Aragorn will be able to help us." Geongan whispered, she was a very optimistic person but she was begining to lose hope. Then when she saw that everyone was up and preparing their horses, she mounted. "No racing this time." Geongan said.

Soon they were galloping across the plains. Geongan had been to Minas Tirith many times after they were separted and was looking forward to going back.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 10:32
Feorran blushed a bright crimson at Geongan's words and dismounted hurriedly. She heard what Geongan had whispered, and sighed. If Geongan was losing hope, then maybe soon she would start to too, and then the rest of the world would follow...

She mentally kicked herself for being so pessimistic and mounted when everyone was ready to go.
"No racing this time," Geongan said.
Feorran laughed and tried to look down - hearted, but couldn't because of her laughter. They were galloping across the plains soon, and she soon felt the wind ruffle through her hair. Hafoc was straining to go faster, and she had to restrain him. No racing indeed. Not if Hafoc had his way, Feorran thought wryly.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 11:44
After discovering the next morning that Rogue was none worse for the wear, Eorla tacked the mare up and mounted along with the others. The fall the day before had splotched numerous bruises across her arms and legs, but other than being annoying they were not incapacitating in the least.

"No racing this time," Geongan said.

Eorla snorted. "Not on your life!!" She had no intention of racing for a long time, as the memory of the fall still clung with a residual fear.

As the four made their way quickly across the plains, Eorla took a deep breath. She had never actually left Rohan or the surrounding mountains; she had never been to Gondor anyway. Having heard many stories about the great city of Minas Tirith she felt a bit of excitement. Perhaps she would like it. Who knew?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Perhaps two weeks of hard riding brought the four within sight of Minas Tirith, and Eorla gasped at the wonderous sight. It was even more beautiful than she had imagined. She slowed Rogue to take in the white stone city, and felt a rare wave of giddiness. King Aragorn had once been a Ranger; she wondered briefly if he would look familiar.

Rogue pawed and snorted, fetching Eorla from her reverie. She picked up the reins and loped after her friends, shutting off her imagination temporarily.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 01:03
Geongan stared at the beautiful city. It was such a sight and no matter how many times you visited the city it would always amaze you.
When they rode up to the gates a guard stopped them and asked what they were doing. "We have come to speak with King Aragorn about the siege of Rohan." Geongan said. The guard allowed them passage. When they rode in many people stared, it seemed that they hadn't seen visitors for awhile. "Come,we have no time to waste." Geongan said, then she spurred Darkfire to a canter and rode up the road that laid before them. Geongan took the lead and warned people that they were coming through. People stepped off to the side and gave them odd looks.
When they came to the top level Geongan halted her horse. She gasped. "Diore!" Geongan shouted as she jumped off Darkfire. "I'm glad you made it safely." Geongan said. "Have you spoken with King Aragorn yet?" Geongan asked.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2006 03:07
Feorran's eyes opened wide when she saw Minas Tirith. It was so spectactular that is seemed to put everyone in awe of it. It was so big, when she was at the gates and looked up it was so intimidating but still beautiful.

She cantered up the road behind Geongan and Hafoc's hooves clattered on the surface. They recieved many strange looks, and Feorran met them all with a determined stare that made them look at their feet.

They soon reached the top level, and Feorran dismounted smoothly. At first she was confused when she saw someone who looked remarkably like Diore, but she soon realised that it was Diore, in the flesh. She smiled as Geongan greeted her, and then asked the same question as Geongan did.
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email