Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IX
on: December 04, 2006 02:58
hi, everyone! :hug: I am at my sons house using his computer...Sat I tried to log on at WotR..and the computer would not co-operate..and yesterday..I tried to log on to CoE...and the computer would not let me on...it kept rejecting my user name..so will try to post more later when grandkids are in bed...*Randi runs out..pursued by Grima*
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2006 03:26
I guess close is considered good enough in horseshoes, grenades and the post office!

ROFL I use this in my classroom all the time except with a bit of a variation: Close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and thermonuclear weapons. Now, the kids at my little school always laughed at that, this crowd just looks at me like I've sprouted horns. They're a tough crowd.

Christmas vacation could not come soon enough for me. Or the end of the year for that matter. I was a regular grump today. I think either the kids reacted to that or were just regular orklings when they got up. *Not* a good combination. So here tonight I sit with a large glass of wine whilst going over their vocabulary booklet. "What? They were due today? I don't remember that? Can I turn it in tomorrow??" Answers to above questions: The due date has been on the board for a week, and NO, you can't turn it in later. *tears hair out* The 6th grade teachers gave us tea and sympathy and told us to not lose hope, that the class coming up is wonderful.

On to other things: The new windows are coming tomorrow. Yippee!! Skippee!! The spousal unit is taking two days off to supervise the installation. I'm really excited. It will be so wonderful to have windows that don't have to have plastic stretched out over them or freeze over, and are able to open when you want them to. What a concept! We tend to favor older homes, and with that, bad windows. Not so now! Yay again. I am *so* easily amused and pleased.

:dizzy: Who was the guy that was first cast in LotR but had trouble with Jackson and was recast? I've been trying to remember who it was, but the old gray cells are kind of befuddled with the nice wine. But in a nice way!

Hugs to you all. I just can't seem to keep up with all the postings. Ah, to wish for summer and some time for myself and the important things in life..like CoE.

Take good care.
Scots
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 04, 2006 04:48
Hey everyone thank God my dental work is over. It is very sore and my dentist gave me heavy duty pain pills to take for a few days. I had to have stitches that won't come out for a week but I am doing just fine. Thanks to all of you for the prayers and well wishes and those healing thoughts.

Scots it was Stuart Townsend,talk about eye candy mmm. Hey I think my pain pills are making me a little loose
:naughty: Sorry your class is giving you a rough time. Hang in there the Christmas break is not to far away. New windows I am excited for you.

Randi sorry about your computer troubles. That is so frustrating.

cirdaneth you have a plumber with the name of Tricklebank I find that amusing that would be like having a dentist with the name of Molar.lol. I can't wait to hear about your night at the Ballet.

Swabby you are kidding about the chilblains aren't you? I thought men used duct tape for everything. My husband uses duct tape for-when we are at a motel and the curtains don't fit snugly out comes the duct tape. No packaging tape out comes the duct tape. Need colored tape to put on wires in the car out comes the duct tape. I think he could write a book Duct Tape and It's Thousand and One Uses.

Thank you Neenime for the hug.I did my friends first on FOF Christmas list that lived over the puddle and in Canada so I hope your card makes it because I used the FoF's list.

Morwin I hope your weather improves.

Thank you Rose I am so glad it is over. Good for you the world has to many Scrooges as it is. You just keep spreading cheer.

Thank you cat my surgery went well.

Mith thank you for the prayers. I am finishing my cards too but not today as I am a little out of it. Have a good week.

Yes I think you are a red personality MTMS. I remember that phone call you made to me from the Mardi Gras. Yes you are very vibrant and vivacious.

Sindy I made it through that dentist's trial. Thank you for your concerned. Has anyone heard from Morwenna lately?
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2006 06:06
Thank you all for the sympathy and well wishes for my sister, Bev. She has been going through a tough time with family. Her father-in-law has had alzheimer's for years and her mom-in-law continued to care for him at home, refusing to put him in a home. Long story but it seemed to be what led to her death. There are many family members, Cat, so won't ask for all of them. But there is one more....my niece's father-in-law has been battling cancer and now has shingles. His name is Vince. I put him on the prayer list at church. Thank you all again, I really appreciate the concern and love.

Awelyn, so glad your surgery is over and went well. May you soon be feeling well and yourself again.

Now on the bright/light side. Swabby, I laughed so hard I cried at your duct tape suggestion. What a fantastic idea. Now I just have to observe where the hand goes, lol! But think I should wait until hubby gets over the shock of sharing me with Ara-baby. And until he gets home at the end of the year.

Speaking of Ara-baby, my mother-in-law said he has arrived from Florida! She asked me if he was the sexy one! I tried to describe that he is soooo much more than that, even got her laughing which is not always easy.

Was being silly today in Walmart. I love all the things that sing, dance, make noise or whatever. I got some strange looks but also some smiles. What can I say, life is too short to be sad and serious all of the time.

Wish you all some holiday cheer and lots of love and hugs. :heart::love: :hug:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 03:39
Mith I guess my pills had me really screwed so sorry about the death of Bev and the family will be in my prayers and I will pray for Vince too. I play with the musical Christmas things at Walmart too. Nothing wrong with that so you keep on spreading cheer. I need to get ready for work and put some ice on my face it is a little swollen.
Have a good day. I have to work at Santa's playland tonight. The organization I work for participates in this big Christmas hoopla. The kids make ornaments, decorate cookies donated by one of the local bakeries,make cereal necklaces (that's my table) and get pictures made with Santa. I will be there in my Santa Hat.

[Edited on 5/12/2006 by awelyn418]
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 05:55
Scots..have always love that expression.. "close counts...":hug:
Awelyn..:hug: glad that your surgery is over..and that you are on the mend now...
Mith..:hug: for your sister...death is never an easy thing to accept...especially when it is unexpected...
Awelyn...I don't need medicine to get my brain all messed up..anymore..being around 2, 3, and 4 year olds for several days is enough for that! whew!! wish I had their energy! lol
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 11:29
I'm glad your dental ordeal is over with, Awelyn, and I hope you heal quickly. Of course I was attempting to make a joke about "chilblains". I'd never heard that word before and had to go look it up. I get dry skin and the winter ichies, but I know nothing about any inflamed sores caused by the cold. So, yellow snow just might be usefull for something, eh Rose? I understand it must YOURS and not someone else's? I can think of a couple of good reasons for that.

I'm sorry about the loss in your family, Mith, and hope my making you laugh was not out of place. I hope you get that Ara-baby real soon and I hope you-know-who doesn't get jealous. If he does, you know what to do. (Look for a slightly shiney spot on the wall)

I, too, have used that expression, Scotts. I used to say "horse shoes, hand grenades and atom bombs".
I thought it was Daniel Day Lewis who was first cast as Aragorn. Where did I get that?

Hey, it has just occurred to me that the men that you ladies tend to think of as "hot" are mostly all dark types. I know Viggo has light-colored hair, but Aragorn doesn't. Am I on to something here? Now, what do they call that hair color stuff for men?

I mailed out all of my Christmas cards today. I've never sent more than a handfull of any kind of cards in my life, so you folks can consider yourselves pretty special.

Happy Tuesday! Love, bear-hugs and pecan pie, Swabby

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 11:39
Thanks, Awelyn, for the well wishes for Bev. It was her mother-in-law who passed away. How fun to work at Santa's playland. Think of all us kids at FOF when you see the little ones and hope you enjoy your time there.

Don't worry, Swabby. I love humour and your post was the best medicine for any sadness. You might be on to something...most of the men I find "hot" have dark hair. Not all, mind you but most. Now a sailor/ranger like you could get away with most any color. Personality means a great deal to me and does affect the way I see someone.

Well, enough Christmas shopping for one day here. I'm getting close to finishing although usually think of a few last minute add-ons.

A wonderful Tuesday to you all! :heart::love: :hug:
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 01:09
going home tonight..so maybe will have more time to post..without too many little distractions!!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 02:39
Love your quote about beauty turned inwards, rose. Need to have that on a bumper sticker.

Thinking I should tuck an extra large roll of duct tape inside the box that I'm gifting myself to Viggo with, swabby. Sounds better than the rope I had in mind.:love:

Love the name Tricklebank, cirdaneth. Perhaps he could be a urologist in his spare time...I mean, with a name like that he almost HAS to.

Enjoy those new windows, scots!! Here's to finding some free time to do those important things that give life joy. :cheers:

So glad that your surgery is over, awelyn. Hope that you stay pain and trouble free. Speaking of calling you, I almost did so again when I was at the Louisanna renaissance festival, but hubby said that I shouldn't. I'm not going to listen next time, but call whenever I get that "gotta call" feeling.

So Ara-baby's in FL, mith! Sounds like my dream's come true.
Glad that you let your inner child out to play. That's good for your soul. Sometimes let that "bad girl" out also...don't wanna be alone in my mischief.
Most of the men I "go for" have dark hair, except my husband is fair haired (was blonde, now grey). Personality is a huge factor in the attractiveness quotient in my book as well. My eyes tend to "see" character as much or more than outward appearances.
Now why don't men think that way, swabby, Tom ????

~MT~
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 01:09
Hooray for Awelyn's surgery being finally over! :disco: Now, I only wish you a quick recovery, and that your dental problems will be over with this!

Today, it's our Independence Day, which of course is a day off for me, and a good time to write Christmas cards so, I'm off to do that.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 02:14
Happy Independence Day, Morwin! Enjoy your day off. Please send good thoughts as I teach for half a day and spend the rest of the day in NCLB, STARS and curriculum meetings.

The orklings were in a much better frame of mind yesterday as was I. Today we are heading to the computer lab for the whole period to do a Webquest for the novel we're reading. I'm hoping that they think it's fun. At least it's different than what we've been doing.

:disco: Oooh! The new windows are in! (Reminds me of Steve Martin in The Jerk when he was dancing around shouting, "The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!" These are a bit pricier than a new phone book, but boy are they nice! I went around and opened every single one of them when I got home last night. Why? you ask? Because I CAN! The old ones never opened! LOL The only complaint of sorts from the spousal unit was that the cool breeze that always filtered in to cool his little bald head at night from the window above our bed was no longer there. :dizzy: But then he said that he was glad that it wasn't there. Who knows? I just know it was lovely to sit at my desk and not have my feet get cold because of the drafty windows.

et: Awelyn, I'm so glad that your oral surgery is over. I don't know about you, but I detest anyone working on my teeth or eyes. I hope it makes you feel all better.

Mith, I may have missed it, but when do you leave the PoG? I'm so sorry that we weren't able to meet up again one last time. Darned RL and classes! Have a safe albiet Swabby-less drive back home.

Well, must dash. Time to get through the final stages of getting ready for school.
Cheers!
Scots
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 03:08
This will be a quickie. (Alright, I know what you're thinking, now stop it!)

Why don't men think more like women and look for character and inner qualities instead of the size of your bust, etc? I'm sure Neenime could shed light on this subject, but I think that the great creator has hard-wired us that way. Speaking for myself, I know that if I could go back to the age of 20 that I would not have chosen the mate that I did (my first wife) and that I would look for very different qualities in women. I would use the wisdom that I have aquired over the years to over-ride that part of my body that used to do much of my thinking for me. Y'all know what I mean.
Before the conclusion is drawn that women are born with their heads on straight but men have to grow old before getting their "minds right", I must point out the fact that an awful lot of women make lousy choices when they're young also.

Yoohoo! Neenime, where are you? We need your expert views on this.

Happy Independance day, Morwin! Please excuse my ignorance, but who used to rule your country?

Have a great humpday! Love, bear-hugs and wise choices, Swabby

[Edited on 6/12/2006 by swabby]

[Edited on 6/12/2006 by swabby]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 05:55
Hey, everyone! :wave:

Most of the men I "go for" have dark hair, except my husband is fair haired (was blonde, now grey). Personality is a huge factor in the attractiveness quotient in my book as well. My eyes tend to "see" character as much or more than outward appearances.
Now why don't men think that way, swabby, Tom ????

Who says they don't? A woman can be extraordinarily attractive physically but if she's a witch I won't find her attractive at all. Skanks, even shapely ones with pretty faces, need not apply. While my wife is definitely cute, the first thing that attracted me to her was her intelligence. Dumb chicks need not apply, either.

Good luck with that Salma Hayak standup, swabby. However, if you ask Santa for one I'm afraid he might say, "You'll put your eye out, kid."
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 11:44
Happy Independence Day, Morwin! I'm curious about it also. Anyways, hope you are enjoying your day off.

Scots, how wonderful you got the new windows. Would loved to have seen them, your home is so lovely. And I can truly vouch for you that the cabinets are indeed done and beautiful! It has been a busy time for me also, but thankful we at least got together once. I'm leaving POG next week, Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the weather.

Hubby is now only working here until the 22nd so he will be home for Christmas! YEAH!!! Also he confirmed that he will be working in Texas starting in mid February and in Washington late April. I've been having trouble finding a place for us to stay in Texas and making tons of phone calls. Hopefully we won't have to stay at a motel. I'm really excited about him working in Washington. It is perfect timing since my daughter is due to have her baby on May 12. This way, she can call me to come when the need arises and I'll be there to watch my grandson.

How refreshing to hear you guys say that you value more than looks in women. I guess we gals always like to believe that guys like you do really exist. Personally, I like to try and see an individual for his/her spirit. Like they say, it truly is what is on the inside that counts.

Swabby, think you started something with the duct tape. You're giving MT even more wild ideas. Just look out if the two of us ever join forces, lol!

Hope you all had/are having a great hump day! :heart::love: :hug:

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 12:04
Sorry, guys. Subbing a computer graphics class. Can't respond right now but I will update the card list with Vicarcat and send it to you tonight. Kisses

S.
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 02:46
Hey Sindy it's okay don't worry about it. You do a great job we can be patient.

Mith I got your card today. It was a very nice card. I know you are getting excited about going home. Texas huh maybe you will be close to Randi. Washington state how long will you be there? How wonderful that you will be there for your daughter and the birth of your grandchild.

Old_Tom_Bombadil and swabby good for you. It is nice to know that men don't always fit in the mold that we sometimes think they should fit in and the You'll put your eye out kid was hilarious.lol.

Happy independence day Morwin I hope you a great day off.
Thank you and I think I am doing just fine on the recovery part. Every day my mouth is less sore. I have little twinges of pain but that is to be expected.

Scots we have that in common I don't like people working on my eyes or mouth either. I assume the temperatures weren't freezing last night.Your windows sound divine.

Mtms, next time you get the urge to call you just go ahead and call me. I am feeling so much better and not as tired. It is amazing how draining an infection can be to your body.

Rose I loved the quote also I need it over my desk at work. Right now I have a sign that reads I just ran out of Estrogen you just ran out of luck :naughty:

Randi how is everything at your ranch/farm? I bet you are glad you are home.

Hi Cat,Brandy,Morwenna,cirdaneth,Balrog,Neenime and Jess,Calle :wave:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 03:45
My opinions have been verified: Tom and swabby are truly gracious and intelligent gentlemen, a credit to their gender. I, for one, wish there were more men like them. Hats to you guys!!

Think that you may want to add another intem on your list to Santa, swabby. We wouldn't want you to put your eye out. Are you sure that you've been a good boy this year????

Happy Independence Day, Morwin. Hope you enjoy your time away from work.

Christmas with hubby and Ara-baby will be one to remember, mith!:love: How fortunate for you to be near that precious grandson in the not too distant future!! You must have been a good girl this year!!

Glad you're feeling better awelyn. I appreciate the invitation to call you. Just may take you up on that. Haven't heard your sweet voice in a while.

Have tajken the day off tomorrow to do some Christmas stuff and prepare for my trip to visit the "Dutch relations" in MS. Won't miss being away from that crazy school at all. One of my asperberger's kids (the one who fired me) was threatening to give me a sad face. Architects and fire marshalls have been roaming the halls, report card testing and special events have been upsetting the little bit of calm we had. This break will be just what I needed.

~MT~
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 04:52
Hi everyone.

Sorry I haven't been here for a while. I've been busy with work and other projects. I am not sending out Christmas cards this year. It is going to be expensive. Money got tight this year. With the change in hourly wage it is going to be tight.

Roomie is still being uncooperative. It seems like I'm babysitting. I have to tell her to go to bet when its late and to have naps. She also has to be told to eat. I can't do that when I'm a work. Thank God that I work only 6 hours a day. She could drive me nuts. Now she has permission from her doctor to drive. She can't even stay awake when I'm home. She even talks more in her sleep. She never did that before. How is she going to stay awake when she drives? It's driving me nuts. I'm not getting into her car until I know it's safe.

Nice to see so many people here. Hope those of you who are sick, get better. It's not nice to be sick over the holidays.

I know all about mouth pain, awelyn. I got all my teeth pulled to get dentures. I ended up with 8 stitches and they fell out themselves. I'll tell you one thing: it felt wierd to have stitches under your plates.

It is nice to see that the 2 men we have here are not stuck ups about women. You men might have a lot of estrogen going your way. I, too, would have liked to marry the man of my dreams. I had him but God had better plans for him.:cry: I don't :cry: for him anymore because he is in a place where he can be taken care of. At least I can say that he had a child with me in this world. I, too, will tip my hat to the guys here also, MTMS.

Happy Independence Day, Morwin.

As for the book vs movie: I liked the Houses of Healing. With the music and the healing Aragorn does on Éowen, was very touching. I also agree with the scene of when the Fellowship exited the Moria cave. The non color makes for the mood of crying. I cried. The thing I like in the book is the Council of Elrond. I know the idea of the past being told to be put in the movie would have been boring. But in the book, it makes you want to know the past and what it holds.

Well, I'm going to go and see if I can cath up on the rest of the posts.

Happy Hump Day!!!!!!!!!!!

Namárië
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2006 09:41
Hiya guys! Another extremely busy one here. Awelyn I am so glad to hear you are recovering from your mouth surgery. Mouth pain is awful, just not much you can do to make it feel better except pain meds. Glad you are feeling better
Balrog, we dont understand Gods plan all the time, do we? Good on ya that you have a good acceptance of it. People can be so irritating when they wont do more for themselves. Hope your roomie will get some initiative soon.
Mith, happy about the good news!!
Thanks Sindy, what would we do without you? I cant seem to find where I saved my list at! :blush:
Tom and Swabby, we know you both are very special.:love:
Hiya to all the rest of you. :wave:

[Edited on 7/12/2006 by callë]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 03:01
I'm glad you ladies think so well of Old Tom and I. Once again speaking strictly for myself, I have never made physical appearance the top priority when judging a woman's "desirability". I am sometimes strongly attracted to someone who doesn't have traditional good looks at all. It's difficult to explain what "turns me on", but personality always plays a major role.

As for the possibility of me "putting my eye out" with a Salma-baby doll, I assure you I would practice what I preach and make good use of some duct tape by taping up all those pointy, dangerous parts of her anatomy. The main physical hazards to me would be a dried-out tongue and eyeballs from prolonged gazing.

That's sad news about the guy in Oregon who went to get help for his snowbound family and didn't make it. I hate to say it, but someone used bad judgement by choosing that route in the first place and then being ill-prepared. The husband may have had too much confidence in the car they were driving, too. In the pictures I've seen of it, it appears to be a 4-wheel drive Subaru "outback" or something similar. For what ever reason, it was a very costly mistake.

It's supposed to be a pretty cold day here in the Ozark foothills, with the temperature staying at or below freezing all day. (You Canadian gals probably think that would be a heatwave) Happy Thursday! Love, hugs and a keen appreciation for the FoF gal's and their mature inner and outer beauty! Swabby

I just noticed the date. It's been 65 years since the attack on Pearl Harbor.

[Edited on 7/12/2006 by swabby]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 04:16
Greetings, friends. How I have missed you all. it's crazy-busy here at work and nasty cold outdoors. I can hardly wait for this week to be over!

Following the duct tape, Pointy Salma-parts and Man discussions with great pleasure. You all make me smile - what treasures you are! :heart:

Will weigh in on the Man-Woman topic later. Just no time to do it justice right now.

Belated but heartfelt FINNdependence day, Morwin

Mith :hug: to you and your family. MAy you find strength for your trials.

Awelyn glad the surgery want OK.

Balrog - hang in there with roomie. I hope things improve!

Love to all - got to get to work now! I am on call for urgent walk-in appointments and we sure have a lot of them this week. Yikes!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 02:13
To quote a former student: Holy Schnikees! It's *darned* cold here on the PoG. When I pulled into the school parking lot this morning it was a whopping 3 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrr! I think it topped somewhere around 20 this afternoon. Definitely not a nice day to be out.

I had a long talk last night with one of my sisters who lives in Colorado. I was regaling her with the stories of Ara-baby. She has a Frodo that her husband has issues with. Now, he's had girlie posters and whatnot all their married life...get over himself. Anyway, she said that she'll come into the bedroom and find Frodo in different places at different times. Yesterday morning he was standing on the toilet having a break. My brother-in-law thought it was not kind to let the poor Hobbit not have a bathroom break. ROFL Her spousal unit left to do some consulting work for the company he works for. She says that when he comes home, she's going to lay Frodo on his side of the bed and see what he says. God, I love my sister!

Well, must dash. I need to check out the other e-mail/websites that I haunt, then the spousal unit wants me to help make cookies for the cookie exchange at his work tomorrow. Glad to be of assistance as once again I have NO HOMEWORK! :disco: :disco: :cheers: :rolling:
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 02:52
We were FINALLY able to get the vet out here to vacinate all the "critters" ..Tho it took over an hour to get it all done...but glad that that is over now...just barely got the feeding done before it got dark...and now it is getting colder...I think that I will probably try to go to bed early tonight...as it has been a loooong day!
Awelyn..glad that your surgery is finally over and that you are well on the road to recovery now..
balrog...I hope that your roommate gets to feeling better soon...
Calle...hope that you are able to find your list soon...
Swabby...I always enjoy reading your posts...you keep me laughing nearly all the time...and I appreciate what you and Tom said about physical beauty isn't always the major attraction for you....
Neenime...hope that work went well for you today...
Scots, Brrrrrrrr! that is indeed cold!!! The temp. here fluctuates so much that adjustments cannot be made...it get up to 60 something during the day...and drops to 20 during the night...*shivers*
loved the story about your sister and Frodo!! rofl
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 04:55
To quote one of my students "It's frickin' freezing here!" I ran out to Walgreens for a few essentials and the car thermometer dropped 4 degrees while I was in the store. The low tonight is 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What saps we are! We got a flier on the mailbox about a missing calico cat named Bess. She's been the topic of conversation for two days. We showed the picture to the tabby cat and told him if Bess comes to the door, tell her to wait on the porch until we get home. DH wants to call the number to see if Bess made it home yet. His comment when we watched the weather tonight was, "I hope Bess got home; it's too cold for her to be out."

Speaking of the DH, he has hernia surgery tomorrow. Outpatient and I think do-it-yourself by the lack of concern the medical staff is showing! Please think of him when the painkiller wears off. Better yet, think of me! :cry:

I am particularly proud of my outdoor decorated spruce tree. It's in the back yard so it's really just for us but I drove around the neighborhood tonight to the street and cul-de-sac behind us so I could see it from the other side. :love: I'll try posting a pic when I get a good one.

While on my travels I discovered a house that had about fifty strings of lights, each string a different color looped around bushes, rocks, and grass tufts. There were purple, orange, and pink ones, blue, red, green, bright yellow ones, some blinking, AND a giant blow up abominable snowmonster from Rudolph....note to self--- Understatement...it's a good thing.

Mith and MTMS, got your cards today. They were lovely. I promise to get mine out this weekend!

Take care everyone!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 05:41
Well,Sindy and Scots I guess I will quit griping about our low temp of 18 at night here. Man your temps are brrr frigid cold. Sindy I will say a prayer for your husband I have had two hernia surgeries so I know how he feels.Your husband sounds like a animal lover and I don't think you are saps at all. I am waiting to see your tree.

Randi,I am glad you are home but all that work. I hope you take vitamins.

Scots I think your sister story is a riot. Good luck with the cookies your house will smell Christmasy.

I hope you have a great weekend and get some well earned R and R Neenime.

Swabby That was sad about that man but what was so sad is that it could have been prevented as far as taking a better road and having a rescue kit,sleeping bags, blankets, water, finger foods. It was just so sad. Yes today would have been my inlaws 50 wedding anniversary if my father-in-law had lived. Thank you for the inner and outer beauty remark.

Thank you Calle and have a good weekend. How is your mom?

Balrog I hope things ease up as far as your roommate is concerned. Don't worry about cards just send some through COE'S e-cards.
I bet it did feel weird to have stitches under your plate.

MTMS, I got your card today and loved the photo you sent with it. That was a good idea. You call me anytime you want.

I am going to be gone until Sunday night. I am going to Branson Mo. My husband and me and my sister and her husband. We are going to see Andy Williams at his Christmas show. We have rented a log cabin with a fireplace. I am excited.
Have a great weekend. Hello to Rosie,Brandy,cirdaneth I hope you are not ill. VicarCat OTB and anyone else I missed.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 06:49
It was indeed cold here this morning. Only 3 degrees with a wind chill of -12. But it is supposed to warm up and so far the weather is looking clear for my drive home next week.

Loved the story about your sister and Frodo, Scots. Who knows, maybe that is why my hubby is coming home before Christmas....so I won't be alone with Ara-baby. Maybe when I mentioned putting Ara-baby on his recliner was the final straw. Did you decorate outside your home? I can picture those trees with lights in my mind.

Speaking of lights in trees, your spruce tree sounds beautiful, Sindy. Can't wait to see the picture. I'll say a prayer for your DH's surgery and for you as well. Hopefully they will give him some good painkillers to dull the pain and make him an easier patient to care for.

Awelyn, that sounds like a fun time going to a concert and renting the log cabin. What a great idea. Hope you have lots of fun and also get some relaxation by the fireside.

Do you think Santa will bring me a roll of special duct tape, MT? One that I can stick on the wall so hubby won't see it. When do you leave to see your family overseas?

Swabby, I'm sure you must have been a good boy. Why with all the kind things you say about us gals and the helpful duct tape and cooking tips, how could he think otherwise?

Neenime, hope your work eases up. That would be quite a lot of stress on you dealing with lots of urgent walk-ins.

Love and hugs to you all. :heart::love: :hug:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 11:53
Hmmm much to catch up on...

Awelyn, glad the dental surgery is done,
those stitches in the gums itch I know.
DH and his surgery is on my list...
Vince is now on my prayer list... I will add more if you like.
Yes the cranky Roomie is still on the list
and no I wouldn't ride with her either...
I have that Oregon family who lost their Dad on my list to.

It is warmer here with highs expected in the mid to upper 40s.
It so feels like October now and I think the Oaks outside are confused
as they still have some green leaves waiting to change colors.
Either that or they are attempting to morph into Mallorn trees....

Ah well I'm done with the term and perhaps done with my BA
will know after the grades come out...
even so I won't take more classes til spring term.

OK who did I miss...
Oh yeah Bess the tabby and other cats and the horses and well all the four legged friends... and the people they own right? :blush:

TGIF and that the term has ended...

Swabby, does duct tape work on Elven Standies too? Lol!
Hmmm wonder if I can print out parts and create my own Elven standies.
Then I just stick them on the doors...?
And the Reindeer standies they hang from the celing, eh?
OH and Angel standies too... And the Wise Men like Swabby and Tom...
****OK Who is the Third Wise Man?**** :dizzy:
And how do I explain to St Michael that I lost one of the Wise Men?
OK must have been too long at finals... :blush:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 12:36
Enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I have decided to take a set of Christmas lights with me to Florida so I can decorate our hotel room for Christmas. I need to pick up a new white noise machine as well. Mine quit the other night and I have trouble sleeping without one.
Awelyn so glad to hear you are feeling better & have fun with your family in Branson.
Sindy you'll be in my prayers about your hubby's surgery. I'd like to see your tree. I'd decorate mine but they are just a bit too far away from the house. It would require one of those really long range extension cords. I have the front door done up. I love the lights of Christmas the best. So cheerful.

Sure appreciate all of you. Tom and Swabby, we are glad you stick it out amonst all of us females.

Hope you are all having safe and happy holiday season so far and continue to in the future of the season.
Brandywine
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 03:31
It sounds to me like your sister's husband could benefit from a close encounter of the "sticky kind", Scotts. Knowhatamean?

It's my pleasure to stick it out amongst you ladies, Brandy. Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right when I say it. You know what I mean! Seriously, I attribute the harmony we have here to you fine Tolkein-loving females and your exceptional tolerance for old skaliwags like me.

Whoa Cat! I'm just starting to accept handsome, beautiful and otherwise sexually-attractive cardboard cut-outs of Rangers, Hobbits and smoldering-hot Mexican bombshells (suitable for cuddling) and now you're talking about reindeer standees? I'm just not ready for the animal kingdom yet.
Now, as for that missing wise man, I think we could have a wise woman fill in. Are you doing anything?

Have I been a good boy this year? Well Mith, I've tried to be as good as I could. (For an old wild-at-heart sea dog) A lot may depend on whether or not Ms Santa has ever had to duct tape the old elf's dangerous, pointy parts. (A double insult, since it is already known that he has popcorn balls)

Indeed, I may find a dried-out sea urchin in my stocking this year for spilling the beans about duct tape and it's many uses.

TGIF! I know all you hard-working teachers need a weekend away from the orcling hordes. (herds?) Y'all stay warm! Love, bear-hugs and dancing sugar plums, Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 08:51
TGIF!!! :disco:

Thank you all for your Independence Day wishes! To those interested in history: Finland was part of Sweden from the Medieval Age until 1809, when Russia overtook it. When the Russian Revolution took place in 1917, we grabbed the opportunity and declared ourselves independent.

This year, I celebrated in an exceptional manner: Mr Morwin, the younger daughter, and I attended a concert by the Moody Blues - I believe that, at least the British here know the band.

Scots, your sister is just great!

Got a Christmas card from Morwenna today - thanks!

:hug: to everybody - I'll try and get back with a proper post tomorrow!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 08:58
I am waiting for hubby to drive up, so that we can head to Jackson,MS to see my son and his family. Can't wait to see those grandbabies. Talked with son last night and they are looking forward to seeing us as well. We'll come back on Sunday with hearts sad to see them go, but full of love.:love:

You were to blessed to have the man of your dreams in your life, balrog, even if it was for a short time. Some folks never have that opportunity or miss it all together.:heart:

Speaking of blessings, you are one yourself, neenime, caring for the students and us "mature folk" at FoF. It's so good to have someone with your insights and caring attitude here.

Sounds like your sis knows how to have fun with Frodo.:evil: You know, there are alot of "positives" about having a cardboard boyfriend.:loveeven though he doesn't have a job, money or a car)

Hope you and your critters are staying warm and well, randi.

Praying that Bess makes it home sefely, or at least to some kind-hearted person's pretection,sindy. I have a special fondness for cats.

Sounds like you could have a romantic weekend in the making, awelyn. :heart::heart: Now how's that gonna work right after dental surgery?? Never mind, I have faith in your abilities. Have a fabulous weekend (and maybe even a bit naughty...Santa won't care!)

You've made me want to put Ara-baby in hubby's recliner, mith, and that's sure to cause problems. He doesn't mind sharing ME, but the recliner.....that's another thing!

I'm imagining a cardboard world around you, vicarcat, people, animals, divinity. Cardboard boyfriends are okay, but even I need a little reality around me...some of the time anyway.

Like your idea of decorating your room in Orlando, brandywine . Wish I was going. There's a restaurant there called Medieval Times where they hold jousting tournaments during your meal, which is served by folk in medieval dress. I think it's on International Drive. As you can imagine, it's one of my favorite places .

There'll be no dried out sea urchins for you, swabby! You may not receive a Salma-baby, but I think you deserve something special. Perhaps I'll put in a good word for you with Santa-baby. He comes right after Ara-baby on my list of favorite fellows. I told you that I like a man's personality more than his looks...and Santa's proof!!!

~MT~
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 10:53
No, I’m not ill. Just busy and have the decorator in doing the bathroom too. The new shower that Les Tricklebank fitted has a small leak and the cold feed needs tightening, so I’ll have to get him back. Yes, he really is called Tricklebank. We have some real quaint names around here. The chimney-sweep is Mr Garlick and the solicitor who drew up my will is Mr Wildgoose.

I had a kind invitation to join in the Christmas card thingy, but I hope you won’t mind if I don’t just yet. Remember the “weird stuff” I mentioned a few weeks ago?

One of the weird things was a stalker … (at my age!) … someone my ex and I had met briefly 35 years ago and who had nursed an undeclared obsession about me since then. (bear in mind I haven’t even seen my ex for 30 years, though we are in touch) Recently released from psychiatric care this guy took it into his head to track us down. He found my ex, who innocently gave him my address … so you can see that for the moment I’m a bit wary. Next year I shall know you all better.

I have to say it was very frightening. This is one scary guy. Turned up at weekends. Haunted the village pub. Slept in his car outside. I had to get the police to check him out. He seems to have got the message and hasn’t been back.

My heart goes out to you, Balrog, and others who have to live with loss long-term.

I too, tip my hat, if I cold bear to wear one, to OTB and Swabby. There’s so many things I’d like to comment on, but don’t seem to have time or brain-power. I still have to tell you about the ballet. Glad the tooth surgery went OK, and that critters got jabbed, and orklings organised. Keep yourselves warm and safe in these chilly times. More soon I hope.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 11:13
Not ill anymore, hopefully I'll get the the winter months without too many reoccurrences of colds.

No problem, cirdaneth about the card thing. Hope your problem doesn't reappear. People can be very wierd. I had six months of nasty phone calls once. An acquaintance of my son. Andrew was in the ATC (Air Training Corps) and this little *//##! decided it might be fun to phone us up every night, play loud music down the phone, then hang up. We didn't actually find out who it was until the last week or so of the six months. Funnily enough the phone calls stopped when I went to visit him and told him in very quiet terms *exactly* what I would do to him, if he didn't quit. :angel:

Don't mess with a dragon. Lol!!

I will be posting my cards at weekend, so hope they all get to their destinations in time.

The Moody Blues!! Are they still going, Morwin. Lol!! Yes, I remember those lads very well in the 60's.

Hugs to everyone and take care.

Bye for now

Rosie xxx
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 03:07
Moody Blues, yes can remember them quite well. Some great tunes for sure.

Cirdaneth, sure hope that guy leaves you alone. Can see why you would be guarding your privacy at this time. What fun names you mentioned, rather remind me of hobbit names.

We could start an Ara-baby recliner revolution, MT. Your hubby sounds like mine. He doesn't much seem to mind the standee idea but in his recliner, well that could be a problem. Have fun this weekend loving those grandbabies.

Have a great weekend all my friends! May you all be blessed with happiness, health, pointy (or not) fantasies and lots of love. :heart::love: :hug:
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email