Register

<< First1213141516Last >>
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IX
on: November 28, 2006 04:08
Hello everyone I tried to get on line last night and my server was all haywire I could not go anywhere on computer :killcomp: . I wanted to tell you all my dentist has the flu and my oral surgery has been postponed until Friday. :rolleyes: I am so frustrated and hungry but I will survive just remember prayers and good thoughts for Friday..

Rose I am so sorry you are ill. I hope you get to be old self real soon.

Neenime :angel: Here is an angel for you. I hope you feel better too.

Good morning Cat, I hope you don't get snowed in.

Brandy ,I am glad your friend is doing so well with her new class. Well, I hope your son has a good day today and a healing heart.

Balrog sorry you are having a hard time with your roomie. I learned my lesson the hard way . Two years ago my purse was stolen right out of my cart at Christmas time at Walmart. I lost everything besides my money and my credit cards. I had pictures of my kids as babies and other personal things that never were returned. Now I strap my purse in and hold onto the straps. A tip from the policeman. I guess that is why I love to shop online so much.

Randi wish we could see those pictures but I am sadly lacking when it comes to sending photos via computer. Thank you for my card. It was a very thoughtful thing for you to do for me.

Aw Mith, I wish you would have known about the decorating you would have loved decorating your balcony. Is your husband still not going to come with you at Christmas time? Stay warm my friend.

MTMS, you are crazy. You make me laugh. You have a good day and this year I want to make a Mardi Gras tree so I might need advice from the expert. I remember you talking about them last year. Have you ever heard of a Jesse tree? I had so much fun with my Sunday School class. How are you doing with Christmas shopping.?

Hi Calle how are you?

Hi cirdaneth and Sindy and Scots and anyone else I forgot.

Swabby I am glad things went well for you cooking and that you had a great time with sons. The movie Bobby sounds good. Have a good day.
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 04:45
Oh lawks, awelyn, what a pain, literally. Seems these bugses are everywhere. Well, I'm in front now, so my thoughts will be with you on Friday, pet. :hug:

Hugs, fellow suffererers, Belle and Neenime....*looks around ... anyone else??* My hearing has been affected too, Belle, my sinuses are stuffed to high heaven. I went to bed the other night smelling like something from Shelob's cave, I'm sure. Lol.

Sudafed spray up my nose, Vick under it across my top lip, and a liberal rubbing of Olbas oil around my temples. Must have been *very* attractive for my hobbitman. But he loves me. :naughty: :love:

I'm like you Belle, though, can't take time of work, only me to do all the typing and the partners are so tight, they make Ebeneezer Scrooge look like a benevolent fund. lol. They won't pay out for temporary staff. :nono:

Oh, I have managed to buy two Christmas presents.... not got round to cards yet and there seems a trillion things to do, as usual. Can't believe it's only 3 and a half weeks away. *panic attack!!* Lol!!

Hi balrog, scots, cirdaneth, calle, MT, HT, Mith, swabby, randi, ... errm, I'm sure I haven't mentioned everyone :blush: Well lots of hugs and warm healing vapours to all of you.

Rosie xxx
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 04:47
A diaper (or suitable equivalent) well-coated with "Vicks" and pinned to the inside of a t-shirt is an old-time method for cold treatment normally used on children, but should work equally as well on a fully-growed woman such as yourself, Neenime. The only drawback I can think of is that it might keep the Rangers from getting too close.

I hope you're doing well, Awelyn, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Being jilted by a lover is a rough experience irregardless of your age, so I have found. Think about it ---- there wouldn't be any blues songs without lost love. Heck, that is the motivating force behind many, many creative endeavors, whether it be music, art or literature. What would Edgar Allen Poe have written about without his lost "Lenore" or "Annabelle Lee"? Speaking from my own experience, I think there is no other event in our lives that has such an impact as the loss of a loved one, whether they walk away or are carried off by angels. I think we all have to experience it, even though it is horribly painfull and is sure to leave a scar.

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, Rose, but I'm glad my silliness gave you some temporary relief. Be sure to drink plenty of liquids and take some vitamin "C".

It looks like winter is arriving in North America, so stay near the fire and don't let Jack Frost nip you on the nose. Love, bear-hugs and hot chocolate to all, Swabby

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 06:50
Neenime, Rose, and Belle, here's hoping for a quick recovery. :hug: Those viruses seem to be going round everywhere.

Awelyn, too bad that your dentist had caught the cold as well, and you'll have to suffer a few days more. But, all our thoughts and prayers will continue to Friday. et:

Balrog, your warning was right to the point. A few years ago, my mom-in-law got her purse stolen from her bag in a department store. Fortunately, a security guard had been following the thief for some time already, and he was caught almost immediately, and she got her money back.

Those of you who've got snow, maybe you could send some of it this way? It would bring some light to the darkness of this season.

This time of the year is always busy at my job, and now, we have a couple of bigger projects going on that keep me even busier. Now, we also heard that, our lab may have to move. There's really much sense in it - the whole place was renovated just five years ago to meet our needs... :rolleyes: We'll get more info about it tomorrow.

Until then, :hug: to everybody!
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 06:52
Balrog, awwww! sorry that your room-mate is not co-operating! :hug: that is good advice about the security measures! hannon le! (thank you!)
Brandywine, glad things are going well for your new teacher!
sorry to hear about your sons problems with his girlfriend! :hug:
Vicarcat, Hope things go well with you today! and dreams can become the reality of tomorrow..NEVER stop dreaming!
Rose..*hands Rose an Elven remedy for colds* feel better fast!
(sorry that Grima sneaked up on you! serve him right if he catches your cold!) lol
Neenime hope you also feel better fast! *hands Neenime an Elven remedy also*
Belle *hands Belle an Elven remedy to cure the virus* feel better fast!
(think I'd better get Araagorn in here FAST! I'm running out of remedies that he left for such ailments as these!) * will be much better with HIM here anyway...eh, ladies?* His healing hands will be nice, eh?? :naughty:
Awelyn, :hug: sorry that your surgery had to be post-poned..
Rose..rofl ....like something from Shelob's lair, huh???
Swabby..I well remember THAT treatment!! YUK!!! Also remember the coal oil and sugar treatment for coughs! Even if it did not work..it made you afraid to cough again for fear of the next treatment!!
Morwin, hope things work out well as far as the move..good luck!

[Edited on 28/11/2006 by ~Randiriel~of_Wilderland]
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 09:15
Hi everyone

Sorry to hear about so many sniffles and delayed surgery. May Rangers come and kiss away all your aches and pains (or Elves if you prefer).

Like the Ranger picture with a different pendant.

"Where is she? The woman who gave you that jewel" I'd like to see him explain that to Eowyn!

It is a little chilly here in Edinburgh now but most of the time I am too hot! (wonky internal thermostat!).

Take care all of you.

Love and Hugs:heart:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 12:02
Guess we had our last bit of Indian summer earlier today. Temps were in the low 60's but down to 40's now with high in the 20's tomorrow. No wonder we get sick with the crazy weather. I'll take you up on that hot chocolate and bear hug, Swabby.

Neenime, Rose and Belle hope you are all feeling better soon. I send thoughts of a healing Ranger's hands with lots of TLC. :hug:

Awelyn, that is frustrating when things like surgery get postponed. I'm sure you are anxious just to get it over and done with. Looks like hubby will be working here until the end of the year so most likely we will be far apart on Christmas. On the bright side, I can stay as long as I want at my parents or friends without getting that look meaning are you ready to go yet. But it will be the first Christmas we've been apart in 20 years.

What an awesome idea, MT, to replace the pendant on Ara-baby. Now he's a marked ranger and truly yours! Had to laugh about explaining that one to Eowyn, HT!

Good security advice for holiday shopping, Balrog. Sorry to hear about your roomie. People tend to be more difficult when they are not feeling well.

All your good hearted efforts and love will surely not be unrewarded in Heaven, Cat. Seems like you've earned yourself a mansion there already.

We don't have snow yet, Morwin, but will gladly send it all your way when it comes. Hope your busy work goes smoothly. At least it may help the time go by quickly at work.

Well the hungry hobbit will be home any minute now. I had best finish dinner preparations. Made 66 hawaiian meatballs but need to figure out what side dishes. A well fed hobbit is a happy hobbit, lol!

Love and hugs to you all! :heart::love: :hug:

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 01:50
Sindy smoothes her hair and straightens the clothing after getting caught by Grima.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to have not checked in sooner. was in MO for Thanksgiving and as I flew over Arkansas, I think I saw Swabby waving a turkey leg at my plane.

Three weeks until school's out for Christmas break and the orklings are ready now. Had a illogical discussion with one this morning concerning the Arkenstone and the size of Bilbo's pocket. She just couldn't accept that pockets in Middle Earth might be of useable instead of fashionable size.

Awelyn, Neenine, and Rosie (and anyone else feeling poorly) Hope you feel better soon.

Mith and Scots, better crawl into your hobbit holes and build up the fire. It looks like a real polar express snowstorm is headed your way.

I need to get busy on my Christmas cards or they may turn into Epiphany cards. I'm hoping Elrond and the gang show up and put up my tree soon-----oh, wrong elves.

Cat, I hope the folks of Portland are generous to your flock this time of year. The gulf between those of us that have an d those unfortunate ones who don't are particularly obvious during the holiday season.

Keep warm, everyone.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 04:57
HT ..Good to see you again! Weather here is rainy..but mild.
Mith..those meatballs sound delicious..:drool:
Sindy..I got a good laugh out of you saying that you hoped Elrond and the gang would show up and put up your tree soon..ooops! wrong Elves! :rolling:
You are so funny!
A friend posted a picture of my new granddaughter on War of the Ring in the PhotoForum for me..:blush: since I still don't know how to do it myself..
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 04:58
:disco: :cheers: Only a Table of Contents and my/our paper is done! *Hobbit doin' the Happy Dance!*

I'm even caught up on my correcting. I think the one biggest frustration for me is that so many of my students don't turn work in. I cannot even imagine not completing something a teacher assigned. Oh, well. New generation. Let's see...17 school days until Christmas.

Warm hugs to all of you who are feeling a bit under the weather. So far I've managed to avoid any nasties thanks be to the Valar.

Ooh, yah! Rohan has just arrived in the nick of time! Guess what I'm watching as I have two computers up and running? I am such a geek!

The temperature, as Mith has said, it just about to take a nose-dive tonight. It ma be time to break out the longies. I am so glad that I had duty this morning when the temperature was in the 60s!

Well, I must go and watch the Riders of Rohan and the Dead army kick some orc booty!

Cheers!
Scots

[Edited on 29/11/2006 by scots56]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 05:34
Okay...just as I am watching...ooh, look out Frodo and Sam...there be orcs a comin'! Gotta get across the PoG. How well do I know it! *giggle*

But I digress...I was just wondering what your favorite part/parts of the films are versus the books? I think in the movies it's the scenes with the Houses of Healing. The hands of a King you know. :love:

In the book I would have to say it's those scenes too. I don't know why, but they just call out to me. Maybe that's why one of my RPG characters is a healer.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 06:31
Have'nt had time to catch up on all the posts, but hopefully I'll get the chance too over the next couple of days. Still feeling a bit chancy after a good bout of the flue.

Awelyn: Hope the surgery went well and you are feeling lots better. Will chat soon.

Neemine: So glad you had a great time at the symphony. Definitely would'nt mind being in the company of a couple of good-looking young guys.

Scots: Its so hard to know what my favourites would be. To pick out just one is so difficult. I think the most romantic scene in the movies is the one where Arwen and Aragorn meet on the bridge at Rivendell - lovely. In the books I love the descriptions of the Ents and Entmoot. Ok, I really cannot pick just one.

Well winter has arrived here and its been raining ice pellets most of the day. Really yucky weather. Makes me feel just miserable.

Sindy; Elrond and the gang can put my tree up anytime. As long as he brings along a certain elf!

Well I think I'm going to go pay my respects to Grima and get that over with and then get to bed. Now that really makes me feel yucky!

callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 10:03
I am doing really good just to keep up reading the posts. Such a busy time of year on top of my workplace trying out changes. We have been working so many hours to get the work out that they are considering a night shift. I will help them with a trial run on Monday. Working six in the eve till half past four in the moring. I am not a night person so it will be difficult. They have asked me to be a team leader on that shift and it would be more money, But I told them I dont think so as I do have a family and it would turn them upside down as well as messing with my fine tuned internal clock.
Anyway, along with other matters. I must get to my Christmas cards as well. AND shopping!! Cant believe how fast it comes around!
I am sorry to hear about all the sniffles. Had them myself last week along with a sore throat. Even missed church on Sunday. I am now on the upswing though feeling better every day. Had to tap into some half-elven strength.
Awelyn I am so sorry you have to wait longer. This too shall pass...
I am thankful our weather is still mild. Some chilly mornings and even days but no snow yet. Loads of wet weather though.
I am thinking of you all and though I dont always have much time for response, know that you all mean a lot to me.:heart:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2006 10:16
Hmmm...
I could think of a few Elves I might want under
my Christmas tree.
Mind you I have such a small place that the tree
is in a pot on the kitchen table
so I could just see one of them perched on the table
holding a tree real carefull like.Lol! :blush: :rolling:
I wont be decorating much until after finals
but I can dream can't I?

We are having cold weather here...
freezing rain in the forcast for Wedensday Brrr.
and I have the sniffles mfrt....
I want snow it is so much easier to walk on then ice...:cry:
OK Rant Over...

I'm keeping you in mind and in my prayers Awelyn...
I hope the surgery goes well on Friday.

And I'm hoping everyone gets to feeling better...
Must learn banish virus spell from Gandalf. :banghead:

Turned in my Irish paper by email. It was too long and a day late,
but I couldn't figure how to make those saints lives shorter.
They founded so many communities in Ireland in the Age of Saints...

Could wish for another Age of Saints to hit Earth soon...
Maybe we could get Elven Saints to do the teaching this time, eh?
Or at least Elven Healers... hmm? They always have warm hands
And warm hearts too... Lol!

Ok will say good by to Everyone... :hug: :wave: :sleepy: :love:

Will send snow if it falls here!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 04:48
I guess the really cold weather has arrived on the POG by now and engulfed Mith and Scots. It's due here tonight and they say we'll get snow, which sounds about right since it's in the sixties this morning and feels more like April. Geez, what screwy weather!

Rose, Jessamyn and others who may be feeling poorly, you've got to take your vitamins, girls! (And that includes vitamin "R")

A special scene from the RotK movie that out-does the book is the lighting of the beacons. Another movie high point is after Gandalf has fallen and the grief-stricken fellowship comes out of Moria onto a colorless and cold expanse of rock. I feel that scene was very well done. At times during the movies, the music, visuals and story all work together exceedingly well and make for some unforgetable moments.
The book gives you the professor's eloquent and highly-descriptive words, the lyrical beauty of which cannot be easily conveyed by any other means. I did feel that the book did a far better job of presenting and describing the destitute and hopeless conditions of Frodo and Sam as they made their way near to Mount Doom. The movie shows Sam throwing out his cooking gear, which says much but still comes up short when compared to the book.
I agree with Jessamyn in that I can't name just one favorite moment in either the movies or the books. If it was a simple and easily defined piece of work, we would all probably not be here.

Have a great hump-day, all you terrific gals! Love, Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 07:38
It's official now: our lab will move to the main building of the institute next year. It has both plus and minus sides; we won't be so in the middle of nothing, but on the other hand, my way to work will become longer. But, that isn't actual until next year.

I'll have to start writing and sending Christmas cards next week, so that the ones that go overseas will get there in time.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 11:06
Brrrr, it is really cold here now. I'm rather hoping it clears up in a couple weeks for my drive home. Looking forward to being home but not the long drive by myself, especially going through Chicago. If only I had my Ara-baby, he could keep me company!

Have been putting off doing Christmas cards all week. Was going to start today but cut my right thumb. It makes my already poor handwriting worse. Hopefully, will get most of them done tomorrow so can start mailing on Friday. The time has been going by so fast, can't believe it is less than a month until Christmas!

Book vs. movie favorites....so many of both. I thought the book described Frodo and Sam's meeting with Faramir far better than the movie. Also when Sam went to rescue Frodo and encountered the 3 Watchers. I loved how the movie (Viggo) portrayed Aragorn and all his scenes. One of my many favorite movie scenes is where the Witch King hears the horn of the Rohirran and the scene that follows. So much emotion which displays their courage and bravery in the face of a very possible defeat and death. These are but a few examples of many. I agree with other comments on this subject. Love how you described Tolkien, Swabby.

Hope all those feeling under the weather are feeling those healing hands, be it Ranger or Elf. Love and hugs to you all! :heart::love: :hug:

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 03:47
Sometimes it's best that "beloved"s become "just friends", brandywine. I pray that is the case with your son. Hopefully in the future he can look back on this time in his life and have that thought.

So sorry that you have the roomate blues, balrog.

Get yourselves to the Houses of Healing rose, neenime and belle. The hands of the King are the hands of a healer. Perhaps I should be the guinea pig to test that theory, cough, cough!!

What type of torture is this, awelyn ?? How could he do that to you?? I'm sending good thoughts and special prayers your way now to help you get through the whole experience.
I've heard of a Jesse tree, but not made one. Have done all my out of country shopping and mailed it off!! Need to finish up on the folks here at home.

Sounds like Christmas away from hubby will be a little bittersweet, mith. Won't you be receiving your Ara-baby soon? That gift is best received without hubby around, let me tell ya!!:love::heart:

My mind is seeing turkey legs waving at planes flying overhead while Elrond and company are decorating my Christmas tree, sindy. If anyone sees me smiling while imagining these things, they'll never understand if I tell them.

I guess lost love does inspire art, music and other creative endevors, swabby. Aspiring love is making me creative in the catch your own ranger department.:love: Got interesting thoughts that may turn into plans of action. Rangers, beware!!!

You've got me laughing about telling Eowny about the woman who gave Ara-baby his new jewel, HT....will have to think about that explaination.

Hope you get the night shift thing sorted out, calle. Not sure that's something I could do. But then again, you never know till you try.

I also love the lighting of the beacons in the films, swabby, along with the charge of the Rohirrim. In the books, I love the rescue scene too, mith. Those silent watchers are spooky and cool. I also like the description of Gandalf meeting the Witch King at the first gate of Minas Tirith.

Must straighten my house a bit, as we're having company for dinner Friday night. Hair appointment tomorrow after school, so not alot of time to prepare then. Say prayers of not burning food for this non-domestic gal. Take care, all!!

MT
awelyn418
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 04:37
I am in quite a bit of pain I am going to take some medicine and go to bed. I am getting in touch with my dentist and see what I can do tomorrow.
Love to you all.:heart:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 05:26
:cheers: to all my fellow snifflers and Hannoin le to all our well-wishers an d healers. I am happy to report that I am much recovered. Managed to get to work today and, aside from my throat giving out a few times, I got through the day OK. I hope the rest of you bounce back quickly.

As for the smell of Vicks not being very appealing...... in my darling husband's words this morning "I like 'em stinky." Either very romantic or very silly. Not sure which :naughty:.

awelyn so sorry that you have to suffer longer. I DO hope that dentist is able to help you out shortly!

The peacenik Ara-baby was very cool! That pendant definitely put some colour and pizzazz into his outfit!

Fave scenes? To many to pare down to one. I agree with Swabby that the tearful exit from Moria is a particularly powerful one. That and Boromir's death and farewell will always touch my heart. As for the books- I have always loved the banquet and story scenes in Rivendell and the long poetic speech of the Ents.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 05:33
:disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Okay, now I know it's a bit excessive, but THE PAPER is done! Mande! Manar!! Now you all won't have to listen to me whine about it.

*Heads off in search of a stray ranger in need of comfort; dancing, skipping, and singing all the way.*
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 06:55
Mellyn Nin...(my friends)
I hope that all of you are feeling better now...and that the weather isn't too very bad where-ever you are..
Supposed to get cold here tomorrow...
One of our colts isn't doing too well.. vet is coming out to vaccanate everything tomorrow..and will check him out..
Just got three dogs home from the vets today..all three had surgery...but are doing well now...
Hope that you all have a good night..and a good day tomorrow..
Awelyn..will be with you in thought while you are having your surgery..and hope that the pain isn't too bad..:hug:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: November 29, 2006 11:09
Oh dear! Sniffles and snuffles and nasty bugs! Cold and damp and delayed surgery! Poor FoFrs ... warm hugs and kind thoughts to you all.

Well done Scots, to get that paper finished. I'm OK physically at least, and busy which keeps my mind off other things. Dentist last Monday, hair today (and gone tomorrow), an obligatory village "do" tomorrow ... but Saturday night I go to the ballet, and Sunday night is the Pub Quiz League, which is always fun.

Despite all this activity, I can still go weeks on end without meaningful conversation. It's a sair fecht!
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 04:38
Awelyn: I figured you had actually had your surgery. You poor thing. Hope you get it done soon and you feel much better.

Neenime: Glad to hear the throat is feeling much better and you are actually talking. Still up for The Fountain this Saturday I hope. Hugh Jackman might not be Aragorn, but he comes close. He's one actor that I actually think might have been great in that role. Thats if Viggo had'nt gotten the call. What do you all think? If you could substitute any of the actors or all of them. Who would you put in their places?

Swabby: I think the beacon lighting was beautiful and one of the most spectacular scenes in the movie. I don't know if any of the Brits here remember the lighting of the beacons in G.B. at the millenium. I was at The Wrekin an old extinct volcanic mountain in Shropshire, when the beacon was lit there and it was such a wonderful moment. One of my other favourite scenes was when Eowyn defended Theoden and confronted the Witch King. Three cheers for strong women!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Scots: really glad you got the paper done. I can hear the relief. Nothing like completing something worthwhile and relaxing after. Who am I kidding? Christmas is upon us!!

Ran: Hope your colt is doing a little better by now and that the dogs have had a good night. You are going to be one busy person with all those animals to look after.

Belle: I am suffering from definite envy syndrome:cry: Mountain property in Colorado. I have only been there once, but it was so beautiful. We went to Cripple Creek, Mesa Verde and Wolf Creek. Did some horse trekking at Wolf Creek, which was where I discovered that sitting on a horse for most of the day, produces blisters in some rather unpleasant places. That said, would still love to have a camp/cabin/cottage there. Lovely place.:heart:

Gotta go do some grocery shopping. I'm having a mate over for supper and I'm making Minted Lamb Chops with Spinach & Strawberry Salad, Baby Potatoes and Peach Pavlova. First real entertaining I've done since I moved. Should really do this a bit more, I'm feeling kind of peckish right now. Maybe some chocolate lembas bread will help!:love: Talk to you all later.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 05:21
It's been raining cats and dogs here in the Ozark Kingdom, a real frog strangler, it has been. The outhouses floating down Bull Creek are lined up like army ants. The temperature is supposed to drop throughout the day and turn to ice and snow by this evening. There'll be no motorcycle rides today.

Backing up a bit in order to make some comments. Yes, Sindy, that was me you saw shaking a turkey leg at your airplane. I was trying to get you to land that big bird and join me for some feasting, but you just kept on going. I saved you a piece of persimmon pie and waited almost eleven minutes for you to turn around and come back before giving it to Grima's very appreciative sister. Oh well, Sindy, I tried.

Now about this not-so-minor(and most likely unauthorized) modification of Ara-baby's attire. Since he is a Ranger with a proclivity for the whacking of orc-heads, I can only assume that a peace sign around his neck represents an altogether different kind of "piece" than that to which we are accustomed. If MT has used her ultimate weapon of man-persuasion on him and then appropriately tagged him, I truly hope the elf-princess who shall not be named doesn't find out about this boudoir betrayal and seek revenge. Things could get ugly, that's for sure.

Randi, I think we should call you "Ellie May" since you've got more critters than Noah had on the Ark.

So your hubby likes 'em stinky, huh, Neenime? It is with a great amount of self-restraint that I remain silent.

If you're worried about making that trip alone, Mith, I know where there's an old sailor/ranger/biker guy who's ready for adventure. He's been known to get pretty frisky in the company of shieldmaidens, though, so you might need to bring some duct tape and chloroform.

Happy Thursday! Love, soggy bear-hugs and frozen winks, Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 06:36
Hooray for Scots and the finished paper! :disco: Hope you found a ranger to dance with...

Book vs movie favourites? I'll have to say that, one scene in the movies that wasn't in the books at all that touched me, was Théoden mourning for his son. Boromir's death also has to be mentioned. In the books, Gandalf confronting the Witch King at the gates of Minas Tirith is one of my favourite scenes, as is when Sam sees a star shine for a while through the clouds, and it gives him hope and peace.

Woo hoo, tomorrow is Friday! Hope you all have a good Thursday! :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 07:03
Jess That menu sounds great! Lucky mate. Yes, I, too am looking forward to Saturday. Will contact you soon with rendezvous times etc.

I agree that Hugh looks the part of an Aragorn. Not sure he has the maturity of years to pull it off. I have long been an Eric Roberts fan, much to my husband's dismay (since he plays mostly B-movies). Oh, but he has this intensity and a characteristic pelvic slouch that he does..... (excuse me while I hose myself off). I think he could have done a good job with the role.

I also share your cheers for strong women. I am particularly pleased with the unorthodox but expanded role for Arwen in the film adaptation. I think the book did a much better job of portraying Eowyn's longing for glory - the film just barely did it justice.

Brandy , I commiserate with your son's romantic woes and with your role as mother. Just keep loving him, it's the best buffer against life's slings and arrows.

Scots yay!!!!! (in triplicate). Well done, Woman.

Randi , so sorry about your little colt. I do hope the vet can help him out. et:

Swabby your restraint is duly and gratefully noted.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 08:52
Staying in today and determined to finish Christmas cards. It is 17 degrees outside with a wind chill of 5. Good day to stay in and warm, I say.

Excitement and anticipation of receiving my very own Ara-baby will surely be with me on the long drive home. MT, you are so right, it is best received without hubby present. Although I will have to exercise a bit of restraint (well, a lot) since I will be picking him up at Mom-in-law's. Sister-in-law is shipping him there from Florida. You have me thinking of ways to personalize him...hmmm, perhaps a tattoo with my name? Unfortunately, there isn't much skin showing.

Awelyn, that is awful that they made you wait and you have to be in pain because of them rescheduling. Hope you found some relief and at least they could help ease your pain in some way.

Boromir's death scene was indeed a moving one. And I also love the Ent songs. They only show a bit of it in the extended version of TTT, but is another one that can make me teary eyed.

Congratulations on getting your paper done, Scots. That has to be a tremendous feeling of relief. Hope you found that ranger.

Randi, hope your colt is feeling better and the dogs are recovering well from their surgery. May your love nurse them all back to health.

Hard to imagine anyone but Viggo playing Aragorn, Jess. Hugh is definitely easy on the eyes, but in my opinion, no one could replace Viggo. Your dinner sounds delicious.

Swabby, you make me laugh, as always and so enjoy your posts. A sailor would make excellent company if only he was not so far south of my route home.

What is the Fountain, Neenime? The get-together sounds like fun, hope you all are feeling well and have a great time together!

A healthy and happy Thursday to you all! :heart::love: :hug:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 09:32
Hi everyone

Hope all sniffles snuffles sore mouths sick horses and frustrating roomies get sorted out soon healing hugs to you all.

I too couldn't really see anyone but Viggo in the role of Aragorn but I did have an interesting thought.

Viggo playing Boromir or Faramir and either Sean or David playing one of the other of the 3 roles.

I think some of my favourite scenes in the films are the ones that show the friendship between Aragorn and Legolas it is probably what got me writing fan fiction in the first place. I did want more of Eowyn and Faramir in the films but you can't get everything in and PJ did a great job.

Just while I think of it here is another idea. Sir Ian as Saruman and Christopher Lee as Gandalf?

Anyway take care and love to you all.

HT:heart:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 04:16
sair fecht

Okay, what does this mean? And, how would you pronounce it? I can kind of gather what it means from the context but would like a definite definition.

Two whole days in a row with NO homework! Yah Hoo! That and the kids have a much happier language arts teacher. Life is good!

So many posts since I was last on. Randi, I hope your animals are doing well. They are just like our own babies, now aren't they?

Swabby: So, if you go to pick up Mith to accompany her home, do you suppose you could swing on around the capital of the PoG for a visit? You'd be most welcome.

Jess: I'm glad to hear that you're settling down in your new digs. Someday I'd love to get up north and see you, Neemie and Balrog. That would be a good time for sure.

The weather has passed us by. Well, the snow and ice to be sure, but boy the cold had gripped us. Drats to that, says I! I was amused at my teacher aide. The local college where I teach sends teachers-in-training to put time in the classroom every semester before they even go out to student teach. One of the four that I have this semester is a California boy. He came into my classroom today stating that he didn't know that hair could freeze! He had taken a shower and gone to class before it had dried. In route on his walk, his hair froze. He was so shocked by this that the look on his face was priceless. I have to say that I had a good laugh at his expense. So did the kids.

Well, I must away to read. I'm reading the new Artemis Fowl book The Lost Colony. I like no homework days.

Take good care all and keep warm and dry!
Scots
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 04:19
Heartfelt congrats on the finished paper, scots. I raise a glass to your success. :disco: :cheers:

Hoping that your "menagery" are all soon on the mend, randi. It bothers me so when animals are not doing well because they can't tell you what hurts.

There are days that I don't seem to have much meaningful conversation either, cirdaneth, but then, that can be the way of a kindergarten teacher.

As has been said before, there is NO substitute for the V-man, jess. What were you thinking???

I have been duly-deputized and authorized to claim my "piece" of ranger, swabby dear. If my action causes a problem with an elf-princess, what of it? I do not fear her. Bring it on!! (need sword swishing icon here)

I've also thought of a "wizard swap", HT. Think that both Ian and Christopher could pull it off as either character. Viggo as Boromir or Faramir???? Interesting......:love::heart:

Think I may need to send you a roll of duct tape, mith.
Just think, you could find or fashion a unique pendant for your Ara-baby to wear. A personalized arm band is another idea. Oh, the possibilities are endless!! And that's just part of the fun of Ara-baby ownership!:heart::love: We want pics of the happy union, when you "get" your ranger!! Start that scrapbook now.

~MT~

[Edited on 12/1/2006 by BelleBayard]
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 05:39
weather here has been miserable all day...icy rain falling while we were trying to feed...had to lock Bain and her baby up..they were both shaking worse than I was! got them dried off and fed..and they are better now...had to cancel the vet visit..due to bad weather...
Awelyn..will be thinking of you tomorrow...and hope that it all goes well for you..:hug:
rain has stopped...but icy wind is still blowing...hope that everyone stays warm and dry...:hug:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 05:53
Jess, I wish I could have seen Stuart Townsend act in some of the scenes before he was fired. I think he is gorgeous and could have pulled it off. How was your dinner? It sounded so good. Oh that is one of my favorite scenes to I always wanted to say you go girl to Eowyn. Oh when Sam fights with Shelob and Boromir death scene I just cry my heart out and you know there are to many scenes that are my favorites. I consider all 3 movies masterpieces. The book is my favorite though. I hope you are feeling better.

Good for you Scots we knew you could do it. I remember how great it was to not have homework. I laughed about your student teacher and the frozen hair story.

cirdaneth I have never go to the Ballet I am a little envious. You have a good time. I know what you mean about not being able to have a meaningful conversation. It is so important to most people.
You pm me anytime and I know this posting is not the same but it helps me.

Neenime I think it is because your husband loves you for you being you. Stinky or sweet smelling that is love for you.

Thank you Randi I do feel better but I have not got to see my dentist he is very ill with the flu. I have a appointment Monday if he cancels I will go somewhere else. I am still taking antibiotics.

Hi,Calle,Sindy and Balrog and Rose and Brandywine and Morwin and HT and Swabby.
OTB is not in the database of COE so I guess he did move on and what a shame.

Mith sounds like a good idea to stay in today. We are under a winter advisory. We have snow and ice predicted for after midnight but only 1-2 inches. Stay warm.

Goodnight
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2006 09:43
OTB left? Shoot and I was just gettin to feeling better too...

Awelyn, I still have you on my prayer list...
sure hope you get that surgery done soon.

Randi, have put your sick colt on same prayer list.

I talked to Timberwolf and someone stole his Medicine Pouch
Tuesday night... I hope ghosts haunt the thieves. :evil:

Ladies I'm beginning to come down with Ranger Envy here...
Not that I have any place to put him, but still!

One class on Friday then 2 finals on Monday and 1 on Tuesday...
Glad to be almost done with classes.

Was a bit warmer today like 39*F, felt warm too.
It is suppose to be 45*F tomorrow...

TGIF and hope the weekend is good and not so cold... :hug: :love:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2006 02:04
Sorry I haven't been on or been able to catch up with everyone's posts yet. We have been busy. We sold our farm ground just before Thanksgiving and have been working with our investor to spread the money about for retirement, taxes, etc. Then we have both been busy with work. AND we have booked a trip to Disneyworld for Dec. 21-Dec. 31. Can you beleive it! I'm going to Disneyworld!
Doin' the happy dance! :disco:
We have always wanted to do this so we took a little money off the top of the farm sale and booked a trip. My sister-in-law is going with us. It should be fun.
We are not out of farming though. We are going to lease the farm back from the guy but we will have the option of getting out anytime now that we are getting older (hem hem)
I can't wait. Disneyworld!!!!!

[Edited on 1/12/2006 by brandywine]
<< First1213141516Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email