Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2122232425Last >>
Author Topic:
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: NEWBIES INTRODUCTION THREAD - Please introduce yourself here!!
on: January 28, 2009 06:51
Welcome to CoE, PippinLivesOn! :wave:
Nice to see another hobbit lover. I hope you have a wonderful time here, and feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 03:20
Welcome PippinLivesOn glad to have you with us! The creator of this site, Rivka, is also a hobbitlover , well, one in particular (I hope she won't shoot me ): Frodo.
You're interested in Phantom of the Opera? I've always been intrigued by the name and what I heared about it, I've finally gotten down to reading the book half a year ago and I loved it.
I hope you enjoy your time here .

Errandir of Gondolin
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Old_Appledore
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 10:03
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE): Old Appledore or Appledore will do. It's Dennis in real-life.

Age: I'm 62 and recently retired. (And, yes, I've noticed that's quite a contrast to the ages of the folks who've signed-in just above me! But I'm guessing there are people of all ages here. Right?)

Where are you from: I'm in Traverse City, Michigan.

How did you find CoE?: I don't remember. Actually I've poked around here as a guest for a long time.

What are your interests? Reading, films, television, science-fiction fandom. Studying Tolkien sounds to me like a good way to spend some of my retirement time. Among other things, I'm planning to look at the Elvish language lessons here.

Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' or only seen the movies?: I've read the books multiple times. I love the movies for what they are, but to me they don't tell quite the same story as the books.

Oh, about my name, Appledore was a family name among the Men of Bree. Rowlie Appledore was one of the three men and two hobbits from Bree who died fighting Bill Ferny and the ruffians.

Old_Appledore
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 10:12
Huh. My avatar didn't display. I uploaded a 60x60 pixel image named oldappledore00.jpg and I thought it was set as my avatar. Maybe I need some newbie help.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 11:59
hello Old_Appledore! Nice to meet you! :wave:

As I understand it, there are quite a few folks here besides teens!

For your avie, go to My Account/Upload Avatar/General Pool. then at the bottom type in the name of your avie you uploaded. It should pop up, then click on it. it'll ask you if you want to set it as your avatar, click yes. You got it! (I know, it never worked the direct way for me either!)

Hope to see you around!
Old_Appledore
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 12:08
Thanks, Erucenindë.

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 01:35
Ahh Old Appledore,

Fear not, you are not alone. There are quite a few of we elders here, just quieter than the young'uns. *smiles* However, I'm sure you will be more than welcome in The Prancing Pony-Fans over Forty HERE.

Furthermore, you and our very own PotbellyHairyfoot should be quite a match....what a pair of fans you both are. He lives up your way just over the border in Canada but don't hold that against him. *laughing*

Welcome to CoE....we're all truly glad to have you join us. If you have any questions, you can always send a Private Message (PM) -under the random block to your left- to the Newbie Moderator, Gondolinian....although you can talk to anyone here on site. We're all fans and all care about our newest members.

Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 05:22
HiYa Old Appledore, I'm glad to meet you. There may be a bunch of youngsters signing in around you, but if check the staff, and the Fans over Forty thread you'll find that there are a lot of members here that are no longer asked for ID when we order a drink.
We come from all over the world and all occupations, but what links us all is our interest in the works of Tolkien.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: January 30, 2009 07:55
Hiya Appledore, and welcome to CoE! I see I'm behind on your introduction that's what you get when you still have to do exams as a youngster, while the elderly have more time on their hands (I'll hide now for flying boots and shoes )!
Glad to have you with us, if you have any questions or problems, feel free to pm me, as Bereth said.
No need anymore in telling you that you are far from the only person over 30 in here . Perhaps you should all make more of a riot too, like the younger ones sometimes. I'm sure you could teach them a few tricks . Although I wonder how we as mods would deal with that.
Enjoy your membership and retirement, many greetings.

Errandir of Gondolin
Old_Appledore
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2009 08:47
BerethEdhellen, PotbellyHairyfoot and Gondolinian,

Thanks for your welcomes. I didn't (successfully) reply until now because there was some sort of glitch and I had to reregister. But I'm back now!

-- Old Appledore
Tulcadhiel_Greenleaf
News Admin & Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 06, 2009 07:44
Hi, Appledore, and welcome to CoE!
CoE is really neat since you can meet all kinds of people--its not just teens like me LOTR draws people from all over, it seems!
Oh...have you found a realm yet? No pressure, just wondering. I wish I joined a realm when I first started on CoE since they're great fun! Welcome once again
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2009 02:13
Hi Old_Appledoor! It's so cool that people of all ages can enjoy Tolkien and this site. I hope to see you around. Like Tulcadhiel_Greenleaf said, realms are awesome. You should try one that suites you.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2009 06:05
Sigh... I've been lurking around these forums for almost a year now, and yet I completely missed out on the forums. ...guess that makes me a n00b!

Well, hello everyone.
Tulcadhiel_Greenleaf
News Admin & Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 07, 2009 12:58
Welcome to CoE, Arvanion!!!! Its great that you finally decided to join us in the forums I know how it is--I lurked about for a while, but it is great once you finally jump in! And that does not make you a n00b!
Tell us a little about yourself if you feel comfortable doing so...what are some of your interests besides LOTR? How long have you been a Tolkien fan and whats your favourite part about the books/movies?
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2009 04:02
Ooh, yes. I'm currently 15, and I've been a Tolkien fan since age 8. My dad started us early on the books (maybe age 5 for me?), but I got scared somewhere in the Dead Marshes and we paused for about two years. I picked up the books later, read them all the way through, read them all the way through again, and repeated. Eventually I got all of the LotR-themed video games I could get my hands on (and I still play all of them from time to time... ), bought all of the non-mainstream Tolkien writings I could, and settled down to attempt lore mastery. My favorite part in the books, movies, and even games is the Battle of Helm's Deep. I don't know why... :love: However, I'm also interested in writing fiction, reading other books (I go through 10 a week when I'm in tip-top shape ) and I play the piano. I guess that's all...

So, hello everyone. :wave: I might even remember to finish some of the fiction I'm writing here.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 08, 2009 07:55
Hi and welcome arvanion898 :wave:, pleased to meet you. Thanks for introducing yourself a bit more, that way it's easier for others to get to know you better. Enjoy the site as you already did the past year, keep that fiction coming .
Greetings!

Errandir of Gondolin
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2009 02:30
Heheh... I've almost finished that story. It's a bit long, but still...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 08, 2009 05:46
ITHILIEN!!!!!!!!!!!! ok ok ok i know that;s not your name on here but that's what im used too!

it's so good to see you! i hope to see you around!
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2009 12:18
Just check P-a-P regularily. Now that I'm officially a member here, I'll probably be finishing some of those long-delayed projects... which will also be my excuse to Jeth on why I'm not working on the Narnia campaign.

Regards, Arvanion (or IRS )
Old_Appledore
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 08:48
Tulcadhiel_Greenleaf and HaldirofLorien13, thanks for pointing me toward the Realms. I hadn't paid much attention to them yet. Now I guess I'll have to decide which one looks best for me.
Linweofdorthonion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 01:48
Hi my name is Linwe Of Dorthonion, or you can call me Lin, I am 13 and I just registered on my 13th birthday, My Hobbies are playing on the computer, watching TV, reading LOTR, (of course), my fave actor is Orlando Bloom:love:, and the first time I saw him was in LOTR 1, when I was 8 years old, I found this website when I was on a fan site for orlando, and I have read J.R.R. Tolkein's book The Children Of Hurin, I just got the LOTR books from my mom and dad for my birthday, (that includes the hobbit book) I have seen all the LOTR movies 100 times (and counting ) and i have the extended edition of LOTR, oh and I am from America, and my favorite music is rock, like the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana, and I also like music like the song "May It Be" from lord of the rings movies by Enya, I LOVE ENYA!, anyways I'm glad to be here. P.S. I took a Quiz and it said the LOTR character I am most like is Arwen!:love:
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 02:02
Hello Linweofdorthonion! :wave: I'm glad you joined Coe!

That's great you've read all the books! i too have seen the movies many, many times! (especially the EE's!)

Enya is awsome!

hope to see you around!
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2009 05:06
Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'm senior enough to say hi, being the second-newest member in this thread... but hi anyway.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 12, 2009 08:37
A newbie's welcome to another newbie is just as warm as any old timer's, Arvanion.

and welcome, Linweofdorthonion, from an ancient one as well. We hope you will enjoy exploring all the little niches, cracks and crevasses of CoE. There is so much to see and do here.

Also, to both newbies....don't forget to check out the Realms and see which one matches your interests. The Realms are a great way to meet folks in a smaller environment than the entirety of CoE, which can be a bit overwhelming when you first start out.

Enjoy and carry on!
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 13, 2009 02:33
Hi and welcome Linwe Of Dorthonion :wave:. Sorry for my late greetings but my life has been overly busy for a while. Enjoy the site!

As Bereth said, anyone is gladly welcomed to greet newbies and make them feel at home, so no worries there .

Errandir of Gondolin
LadyRíeth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2009 11:44
Hello everyone! My name's Stef.. umm let's see I'm 19 and in college, but I have a lot of time to kill lately (I know, I'm a bit old but LotR is timeless, y'know?). I'm not really new to roleplaying but I haven't done anything in a few years so I'm a bit rusty. I live in the USA. I love music, it's by far my favorite thing in the world ever. I haven't watched the LotR movies in a few years either, but only because I had quite the obsession going there for a while... so I had to stop watching. (My favorite's Legolas..) I read the books, too, and I tried reading The Hobbit but back then I didn't like reading so I stopped after a while.

That's about it. I'm pretty open to meeting new people
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 14, 2009 01:14
hello LadyRíeth, and welcome to COE! :wave:

LOTR is timeless! we have lots of people on here from all different age groups!

I love music lots too! Though i have to say, i could never stop watching LOTR! :love:

Glad to meet you! See you around!
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2009 04:06
Welcome to CoE, LadyRieth! :wave:

An RP'er, eh? You should join my RP, Elrond's Message, in the RP forum.

Too old for LotR? BLASPHEMY!!!

Music is awesome... do you have a favorite song, or genre? I play the piano, percussion, and I also sing tenor. Countertenor, also known as contralto, also known as... falsetto.

Again, welcome. I hope you enjoy CoE.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 15, 2009 01:41
Hello and welcome to CoE LadyRíeth .
Too old for CoE? You should check out the forums and the data of some members, you'd be surprised .
Make yourself comfortable, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me or send me a pm.

Errandir of Gondolin
Wednesday
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 11:34
Hi everyone

Name: Wednesday is fine
Where are you from (country/state)? PA, United States
How did you find CoE?When i was searching for LOTR fan sites

What are your interests?

Reading, Writing, playing the Violin, LOTR (it's it own catagory), ice skating, etc.

Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' or only seen the movies?

I'm a big proponent of reading the books before watching their respective movies. I love all the books that have some relation to the LOTR triology. I also love the movies, which i thought were the best example of cinema technology today. I still remember watching the Academy Awards or Oscars (?) and seeing LOTR win almost (?) all its nominations. I own the FOTR soundtrack and also the violin book for the entire triology. To further explain my obession (i guess you call it that), i read LOTR and the Hobbit once every year for 3 years, (I had to stop after starting high school). I've also watched the movies (all which I own) more then 10 times each.

I'm really glad i finally found a fandom dedicated to LOTR, i hope to meet a lot other fans
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 04:44
Welcome Wednesday! I'm glad to see others that have read the books first before seeing the movies!

Glad to see you here on CoE. I hope you find a great home in this site!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 06:40
Welcome Wednesday! :wave: Glad to have you here!

that is cool to hear you play violin! I am starting to learn it. (LOTR music will be a must!)

I will see you around!
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 06:43
Welcome to CoE, Wednesday! :wave:
I have a lot of admiration for the people who read the books before seeing the movies, so good for you.
I'm really glad i finally found a fandom dedicated to LOTR, i hope to meet a lot other fans

That is exactly what I hoped when I joined CoE, and I did! There are tons of amazing people on here who all share a love of LotR.
Hope you have a wonderful time here!

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 06:56
Welcome Wednesday.....love the name. Almost makes me want to sign off with 'Thursday'. *grinning*

I'm really glad i finally found a fandom dedicated to LOTR, i hope to meet a lot other fans.

Oh, you'll find plenty of those around these parts....you'll be tripping over them no matter where you go. *LOL* And each and every one of them will be happy to meet you and guide you along.

Cheers for Pennsylvania too, while I'm about it....my family lives there still.

gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 18, 2009 09:49
Hello Wednesday :wave:, welcome to CoE! You will surely meet loads of diehard fans here. So enjoy and have fun.
If I'm not mistaken LOTR had a 'clean sweep' at the oscars, they won them all (at least the ones they were nominated for, 11 in total.
I must say I envy your skill to play the violin, and your ownership of a violin-book for the LOTR-score :love:.
Greetings!

Errandir of Gondolin
<< First2122232425Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email