Register

<< First89101112
Author Topic:
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Any Teen LotR fans?
on: April 21, 2009 11:26
We have to watch West Side Story in music class.
It sounds really good, by the description my music teacher gave.
I like in South Africa, so it isn't as popular and well known here as it is in the United States.
EstelwenJesusFreak
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2009 11:39
so apparently i'm the valedictorian of our class (not "officially," but my principal said she was pretty sure)
when she told me I was , but then I remembered that means I have to give a speech :nono:
ahh, well the good definately outways the bad, but i still don't like giving speeches, or writing them for that matter

:disco: :disco:

Congrats!!! We had graduation last sunday and one of my best friends gave his whole speech on Star Wars, I'm not even kidding, it was HILARIOUS!! I almost died laughing!! You should totally do the LOTR speech That would be GREAT!! lol!!
Also, Hi everyone! Sorry I havent been on here in FOREVER!!
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: May 26, 2009 02:39
Thanks Estelwen
our graduation was on Friday
and yes, my speech was centered around quotes from Tolkien
Star Wars speech, that would be funny
so, does that mean you're off to college next year as well?
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2009 03:14
*lurk*

I guess being in that darn musical put me very out of touch with the world of CoE, minus the RP's. I almost forgot about this place... *sniff* Sorry, guys. :cry: *Who am I kidding? They didn't miss me anyway.* :blush:

Well, I guess the lot of you will have to put up with me again now. :naughty:
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2009 04:40
Hi, Arvanion. Of course we missed you. :hug:

This thread is alive again! Yay!

Lol, a Star Wars speech. That must have been hilarious.
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 26, 2009 05:52
Hi, Arvanion! Of course we missed you, and we're VERY glad to have you back!

I once knew someone who did a persuasive speech on why vampires will exist in three years. It was almost convincing.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2009 10:57
The scientists will have to create vampires if they want to escape from the crazy teenage Cullen fangirls. Blech. :banghead:
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: May 27, 2009 04:24
*looks at aravnion*
well, I can tell that someone doesn't really like a certain vampire

That must have been some speech to almost convince you about something like vampires
Merides492
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2009 05:32
I hope no one minds me jumping in here...I couldn't keep myself away from the 'post reply' button when I found other LotR fans that are around my age (17, yay...). My friends just don't understand the appeal.

My apologies to any Twilight fans that might be around here, but the series is far too overrated to be any good anymore. The book was interesting, but the movie trailers turned me off to the series.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: May 29, 2009 06:21
you're definately welcome Merides492 :wave:
I'm 17 as well
definately agreed on your view of Twilight, it is way overrated
my friend got me to read them, and they were deifinately addicting at the time
but then when I finished, I thought 'wow, that really didn't have much content at all'

But back to LotR, yes, it's very annoying when your friends don't understand, that's why you come here
Merides492
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2009 04:28
Thanks for the welcome, ezetterlund.
I think the main reason Twilight didn't interest me much was the lack of action and adventure. Everything else that I'm interested in always has battles and journeys. And I don't consider Bella running away from Washington to Arizona much of a journey.

Their lack of understanding has since turned to calling Sam and Frodo gay. (But these are the same people that can't go five minutes without a "that's what she said" joke, so...) But at least I found some people that would probably like to hit my friends on the head.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2009 05:09
I don't know... "that's what she said"s can be amusing if used in moderation. Your friends obviously have little or no appreciation for Lord of the Rings... I'm glad to say that I don't have the same problem. Most of my friends are fans, if not as die-hard as me, and when they saw me carrying three volumes of the Histories around, they decided to make a running joke about my eternal fetish for carrying around 2000+ pages of text (I always carry around my paperback single-volume edition of LotR, as well). Still, whenever they see me reading it, they make a point of telling me they approve. *I could beat any one of them hollow in a Lore debate, though. *
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 12:12
Hi, Merides492! :wave:
Lol. My friends have no appreciation for LotR. They used to make fun of me, but then my TTT book started falling apart so I stopped carrying it with me everywhere.

I don't mind Twilight. I used to think it was stupid before I read them, but now I think they're ok. I agree, though, there's not much content to them. Mostly just a weird love story, I guess.

The people at my school love "that's what she said" jokes. It gets annoying because they can twist absolutely anything. :rolleyes:
I'm glad I found CoE. You people keep me sane.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 12:36
hello and welcome to COE, Merides492! :wave:

I'm glad to see this thread has reawakened! I didn't realize it until today becuase of my absence. :blush:

just a reminder, let's keep it on topic of LOTR.

but as a side note, i dont think i have heard these "that's what she said" jokes. how do they go? any way to LOTR-ize them?
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 12:54
Sorry. :blush:

Definition of "That's what she said" jokes:
A double entendre is a figure of speech similar to the pun, in which a spoken phrase can be understood in either of two ways. This can be as simple as a phrase which has two mutually exclusive meanings, and is thus a clever play on words.

They're sort of used inappropriately. I guess you could LotR-ize them, but I don't really think you'd want to.

On a random LotR note, I saw an RotK poster at church the other day. It was from 2003. It was cool.

EDIT: Accidentally hit the "post" button before I was done. Lol.

[Edited on 6/2/2009 by WestoftheMoon58]
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 02:06
oh, kinda like the "Your momma" or the "your face" jokes?

Awsome! what was a ROTK poster doing at your church? not that that isn't cool or anything, lol.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 04:03
I suppose they're kind of like that Eruce
They're really annoying, irritating, and immature if you ask me
and yes, some people will twist anything to have an alternate meaning

on a similar note to the poster at West's church, in my high school's campus ministry office there is a FotR poster, one of the really long ones, probably originally used it the theater, it's pretty awesome
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 04:09
"Fear... the city is rank with it."

"THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!"

:twitch:

*Gothmog slashes in the head of whoever just said that*

And that, folks, was the end of double entendres in Middle-earth.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 04:12
Ithilien, you crack me UP!!

"Fear... the city is rank with it."

"THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!"

That's what your momma said.

Funny I have never heard of those jokes before... sometimes, when used properly, they can be very funny.

ah ezee that is so cool! i wish i had a huge LOTR poster.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 04:46
I got two RotK movie posters for answering a simple trivia question at one of the showings three days after it came out. They were framed and put up on my wall over my bed, directly across the room from my collection of figurines: minis of the whole Fellowship, Aragorn, Arwen, Faramir, Eowyn, and Eomer in their outfits from the Coronation, Frodo and Sam in orc armor, and a random Uruk-hai.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 05:37
shut up, ithilien, i dont want to hear it.

*covers ears*

lol just kidding. that's so cool ithilien.
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2009 12:10
That's really cool, Arvanion.
I have no idea why there's an RotK poster at church. It's in the youth-group-room-thing. Technically it's not our church, though, we just use the building. So maybe there was a good reason for it being there. Lol.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 03, 2009 03:39
ok, so i went to Altell on Monday to get my phone fixed. And on my phone for the banner it says, "Estelio Eru" which means "Trust God" in elvish. So the Altell guy asked me what that meant and I was like,

"Trust God in *pause* Elvish...."

"Cool"

Not sure what he thought of me then but I was laughing inside.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2009 04:14
*changing phone banner now...*

It used to be "The Lord of Arda", which is tantamount to just putting "Eru" in, but Eru is too short. Also, my background is one of Alan Lee's paintings.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 03, 2009 04:20
lol ithilien! actually, my phone only allows like, 12 letters, so i couldnt even fit "The Lord of Arda" on mine. "Estelio Eru" is the longest i can get.

but it's cool.
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: June 05, 2009 03:14
Hi! I'm a teen I'm 17 Just Graduated Highschool. I found Lotr at the age of 12 I think I may have been 13.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: June 05, 2009 04:02
Hey Fellowship
you're about where I am: 17 and recently graduated, pretty sure I was about 12 when I read LotR first

wow, I was really easily amused today
I have a foil balloon and it's losing helium, so I cut it off of its weight and started trimming its ribbon so that it had just enough weight that the balloon would be suspended in the air without going to the ceiling or floor
actually quite entertaining

my cell phone background happens to be one of Ted Nasmith's Silmarillion paintings
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2009 04:24
I'm trying to get one of my senior friends to watch LotR for the first time... believe it or not, he hasn't yet! I WILL make him sometime before he leaves for college... :evil:
Astaliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2009 07:07
Definitely make him, arvanion898! I can't believe that some people haven't seen the movie by now. As for me... I'm still technically a teen, I'm 19 turning 20 in December. I discovered LOTR after I saw FOTR after it came out on DVD when I was 12.
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2009 01:50
Hi, Fellowship and Astaliel! :wave:
(I like the verse in your siggy, by the way, Astaliel. )

You hafta make him watch it, Arvanion.

I was at an amusement park on Friday for the last day of school, and I saw a caricature of the four hobbits. It was...weird-looking.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: June 07, 2009 04:30
hey West, I remember seeing some caricature like that, yes quite weird. Actually it may have been the same one that I saw, going to assume you were at Valleyfair, I was there for Physics Days a few weeks ago.

So, there was a special mass this morning because our priest is celebrating his 25th anniversary of his ordination, along with a Franciscan sister celebrating her 50th anniversary. Anyways, I was sitting in the upper level/balcony and there was a photographer up there too. It wasn't until almost the end of mass that I realized that his right hand was missing, and naturally my mind skipped to Maedhros
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2009 05:34
I'm fourteen, going to be fifteen in a few weeks...at the State Fair last year, there was a lotr exhibit, and I think I stayed there for half an hour - until my family dragged me away, basically.
Astaliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2009 06:29
Thanks WestoftheMoon58! It's one of my favorite verses .

Wow, a LOTR exhibit at a State fair? That sounds so awesome! I wish I were there! If I had seen it, I would have been giggling like a kid and would have stayed there just as long as you, Loslote! And I've seen caricatures of the hobbits too... but caricatures of Gollum are the really funny ones .
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2009 11:52
Yeah, it was Valleyfair, Ezett.

That's really cool, Loslote! I wish there was an LotR exhibit at Minnesota's State Fair. My parents could just drop my sister and me off at it at the beginning of the day and pick us up when they left.
Merides492
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2009 03:47
I'm trying to get one of my senior friends to watch LotR for the first time... believe it or not, he hasn't yet! I WILL make him sometime before he leaves for college... :evil:

Ahaha, I need to do the same to a few of my friends that haven't seen it. My one good friend begs for mercy when I mention that we should see it.

And I love that line in your sig about Edward.
<< First89101112
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email