Post Re: Translations Thread
on: January 14, 2013 11:08
thank you
Eamanarian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2013 08:08
Will Someone PLEASE please help me translate "wanderer" correctly into Sindarian? I have heard that it should be ranyar, rana, randir, ranya and others and I'm just trying to sort it out because I would love to get it tattooed. randir seems to make the most sense to me, like in Mithrandir, and this has been checked on the Hisweloke's Sindarian Dictionary, but I'd love to hear what you guys think! Also, would you mind writing it out using elvish charecters??? this is what I have so far... THANKS!!
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2013 11:50
Hi everyone! So glad to be able to have access to an AMAZING website like this!!! Anywho, I have a chunk of a song that I would like translated into Sindarin. I'm not that advanced in Sindarin yet (only Lesson so I don't want to do this on my own because I know I'll mess it up. It's the chorus of one of my favorite songs:

"I let go of all I have, just to have all of you,
And no matter what it costs, I will follow you.
Everything I've lost has been found in you.
When I finally reach the end, I'll say
'You are worth it all.'"

I may make it into a tattoo sometime in the future. I only want the Sindarin translation, not as much of the Tengwar transcription. I can fiddle with that myself. I completely understand if no one is able to do this (or doesn't have the time). That's ok. I realize we all have lives outside of this website, although I feel I spend most of mine on this site Thanks so much guys
-Lethril Arvellas aka lotrelessar94 I kinda wish I could change my username now that I found out my Sindarin name, but I think thats not an option anymore
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2013 01:17
Quote from Eamanarian on January 25, 2013, 06:08
Will Someone PLEASE please help me translate "wanderer" correctly into Sindarian? I have heard that it should be ranyar, rana, randir, ranya and others and I'm just trying to sort it out because I would love to get it tattooed. randir seems to make the most sense to me, like in Mithrandir, and this has been checked on the Hisweloke's Sindarian Dictionary, but I'd love to hear what you guys think! Also, would you mind writing it out using elvish charecters??? this is what I have so far... THANKS!!

Ranya/Ranyar is Quenya. Randir is the word you want

Far as the Tengwar goes I'm afraid I can't help, someone else will have to check that for you.
Eamanarian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2013 01:39
Thanks I was 98% sure, but I wanted to be 100% Should I wait and hope that someone will check the Tengwar, or is there a better place I should post this?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2013 03:50
Try the Tengwar Transcriptions thread, below this one.

@lotrelessar94 -

The 'and no matter what it costs' is causing me a bit of a headache, it doesn't really work into Sindarin (also having issues with 'you are worth it all' but I think I have a viable option for that). Are you bothered by how much it gets reworded? I always try and stay as close to the English someone asked for as possible, but I'm struggling with this one tbh.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2013 12:58
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I don't mind at all if it gets reworded, as long as the meaning remains the same Do what you think is best. Thanks again for helping me out! I'm so sorry that it's complicated But it seems like you're the only one here who would be able to translate it with accuracy. Thanks so much!!!
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2013 03:51
Alrighty (been waiting for the forums to come up for a while, had it done since this morning) -

Leithion pân [sevin/gerin] an [saved/gared] pân [len/gin]
Ah ae i ['onoded/mangad] hall egor niben, [len/gin] aphadon
Pân leithiannen hirnen mi [len/gin]
Ir telin nad i veth
Pedithon 'i idrad [lîn/gîn] or bân hen'

Which reads...
'I release all I have for having all (of) you
And if the reckoning/trading is high or small, I will follow you
All I have released, I have found in you
When I come to the end
I will say 'Your value (is) above all this'

Saf- (sevin/saved) = To have, to possess
Gar- (gerin/gared) = To have, to hold. Wasn't sure which you'd prefer, so I put the option in
i 'onoded = the reckoning
i mangad = the trading (another option, I'd be tempted by the first personally)
Len = You, formal (thee)
Gin = You, informal (someone you know well). Whichever of these two you prefer!

Hir- = To find, reconstructed
Idra- = To value, reconstructed
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2013 10:49
Le hannon Galadivren!!!! I really appreciate your willingness to help It's exactly like I wanted I hope to become as knowledgeable as you in the Sindarin language someday. That may take a lot of work, but in the end, it will be worth it! Thanks again!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 03:05
Hello everyone!!
AS a new Sindarin student on CoE, Im finding myself being a slow learner and want to translate things for myself, but to know avail. Hopefully it will come in time, but in meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone could translate this quote for me.

"Set a fire down in my soul, that I can't contain, that I can't control."

It does not need to be absolutly as written; litteral is OK too. If any one would like to translate this or is willing, you can PM me. Thanks!!

Findemaxa Miriel (my user is findemaxam48
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 03:45
Replied to you via PM, but thought it might be interesting for other people to also reply here.

Nautho naur dad mi i faer nîn, i ú-belin garo, i ú-belin tortho
"Kindle a fire down in my spirit, that I cannot hold, that I cannot wield/control."

or

Nautho naur dad mi i faer nîn, i ú-'erin, i ú-dorthon
"Kindle a fire down in my spirit, that I do not hold, I do not control."
Shuilong
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 08:58
Um just wondering I'm a new person here
Isn't "thank you" in sindarin "hannon le" not "le hannon"? I may be wrong though........
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 04:41
Pronouns should proceed the verb if we follow the attested texts

"Le linnon," "Le nallon," etc.
Shuilong
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 05:38
The plurals in sindarin confuse me........I can never understand the chart.
Shuilong
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 05:39
And the verbs.....-_____-
Shuilong
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 01:00
In the movie, I think, Aragorn said "hannon le".........
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2013 02:22
Quote from Shuilong on February 8, 2013, 23:00
In the movie, I think, Aragorn said "hannon le".........

Yeah, well...

I admire David Salo immensely, but it is also true that since he wrote the Sindarin for the Lord of the Rings, what we know about it has moved on.

With regard to plural mutation and verbs, the former is just something you need to memorise really. A-stem verbs should come a lot easier to you, as they are (on the whole) a lot more regular.
Saverneo
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 02:29
I would like to know a greet, something like: hello my friend, ofcourse the words hello and friend could be a little different, like good day or something and maybe brother. but something in that direction. I want to greet people in Sindarin.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2013 03:11
Galu is often used a greeting, it means 'a blessing' or 'blessings!'
You also have Suil or Suilad which both mean 'greeting'.

Galu/Suil/Suilad melloneg = Greetings my friend

Brother = Muindôr (dear brother), hanar, or tôr (brother, archaic). Also gwador = sworn brother (not related by blood).
Naruvir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 05:30
Quote from Galadivren on February 26, 2013, 13:11
Galu/Suil/Suilad melloneg = Greetings my friend

Hmm, in PE17:46 -eg and -el seem to mean "your" rather than "mine." Melloneg ought to translate your friend, based on that resource.

Perhaps you could use -en and (later) -nin instead?

*Galu/Suil/Suilad mellonen or
*Galu/Suil/Suilad mellonin
ElfDict.com - an extensive dictionary dedicated to the languages of Middle Earth!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 06:53
Does it? I'll have a look into that, cheers.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2013 09:09
Oh yes, that is what I have thought, too. All of the possessive pronoun endings just take the first letter of the "stand-alone" possessive pronoun and suffix it to the possessed object. If the object ends in a noun, add an -e-.
majickx
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation help
on: March 25, 2013 12:04
ive been looking everywhere but i cant seem to piece it together , "As Within So Without" is whjat i need translated Please help
majickx
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2013 12:18
Quote from majickx on March 25, 2013, 22:04
ive been looking everywhere but i cant seem to piece it together , "As Within So Without" is whjat i need translated Please help
ive come up with any of the following ,

Ier M Sie Pen
Ier mi ter pen
yan mi sie pen
yan mi ter pen
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2013 07:40
Quote from majickx on March 25, 2013, 22:18

Ier M Sie Pen
Ier mi ter pen
yan mi sie pen
yan mi ter pen

Of these, ier, sie, yan are actually Quenya words.

Stitching together a Neo-Sindarin translation would probably rather end up resembling the structure of

?Sui vi nethad, na/be han (eithro) vin arhad

1) assumed phonetic development -dh+s- > *-th- for *nethad "inside area" (cp. A Gateway to Sindarin, § 15.21.)
2) *na han, be han represents an anaphorically pointing adverb "so, that way" (cp. Spanish así < ad sīc; Welsh (e)felly < *hefel hynn "like that/it"; etc.) -- alternatively perhaps representable simply with *tanui (< CE *tanâ-jâ); cp. one-word Sindarin adverbs, especially sennui (SD:129) [& Quenya ta "so, like that"]
3) the optional eithro would mean "also" (as offered in VT50)
4) vi(n) is the definite preposition, "in the..." (vi appears prelenited in all encounters in VT44 & 50)
majickx
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 10:17
wow , thank you so much for all your help , i want to be as legit at possible when transcribing for a tattoo =P ive been taking lessons in sindarian but do you think it will ever be possible to be fluent ?
majickx
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 10:18
Quote from Elhath on March 26, 2013, 05:40
Quote from majickx on March 25, 2013, 22:18

Ier M Sie Pen
Ier mi ter pen
yan mi sie pen
yan mi ter pen

Of these, ier, sie, yan are actually Quenya words.

Stitching together a Neo-Sindarin translation would probably rather end up resembling the structure of

?Sui vi nethad, na/be han (eithro) vin arhad

1) assumed phonetic development -dh+s- > *-th- for *nethad "inside area" (cp. A Gateway to Sindarin, § 15.21.)
2) *na han, be han represents an anaphorically pointing adverb "so, that way" (cp. Spanish así < ad sīc; Welsh (e)felly < *hefel hynn "like that/it"; etc.) -- alternatively perhaps representable simply with *tanui (< CE *tanâ-jâ); cp. one-word Sindarin adverbs, especially sennui (SD:129) [& Quenya ta "so, like that"]
3) the optional eithro would mean "also" (as offered in VT50)
4) vi(n) is the definite preposition, "in the..." (vi appears prelenited in all encounters in VT44 & 50)
so what would be the direct translation of this specific one minus eithro
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2013 01:03
Sui vi nethad, be han vin arhad.
Jennifer Marie
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 11:49
I am looking for some help with a translation...if anyone could give me some help, I would really appreciate it Thanks in advance for any help!

"There are darknesses in life and there are lights...you are one of the lights, the light of all lights"

It is from Bram Stoker's Dracula but beautiful words in such a dark story...
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2013 03:02
Quote from Jennifer Marie on April 4, 2013, 09:49
I am looking for some help with a translation...if anyone could give me some help, I would really appreciate it Thanks in advance for any help!

"There are darknesses in life and there are lights...you are one of the lights, the light of all lights"

It is from Bram Stoker's Dracula but beautiful words in such a dark story...

Mŷr ennas mi guil, a gelaid ennas... ci mîn ingelaid, i galad [bân gelaid/athan bân gelaid]

Mŷr = Darknesses
ennas = there are
mi = in
guil = life
a = and
gelaid = lights
ci = you are
mîn = one
ingelaid = of the lights

and then the end bit, either bân gelaid = (of) all lights or athan bân gelaid = beyond all lights.
Jennifer Marie
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2013 04:21
Thank you SO much!! So impressive to have taken the time to study these languages! Thank you thank you!!
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2013 12:44
Alright, it's been a while since I've bothered the Wise Jedis of Sindarin of CoE, but I have another simple sentence I would like to be translated. I promise, it's not as long as the last one

It's one of my favorite quotes from C.S. Lewis:

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind."

No rush, Sindarin Jedis Thanks for being so willing to help us out
sydnisan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2013 01:27
how would I say 'not joyous' in Sindarin?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2013 07:17
sydnisan said:how would I say 'not joyous' in Sindarin?

Now the forums are finally working again (hurrah) I can repost this:

ú veren or ú 'ellweg

ú = not
meren = joyous, festive
gellweg = joyful

@Lotrelessar - did you happen to make a note of the translation I did for you that you saw, or do you want me to repost it?

[Edited on 05/01/2013 by Galadivren]
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email