Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings to you all.

Gandolorin - sorry to see that you lost a colleague. Yes,we are now at that age when we start to lose people to seemingly premature illness. By the way, I quite agree with you about the evils of large corporations - they have dragon sickness. A book I read talks about how billions upon billions in economic activity is now generated by these guys at their computers, trading "derivatives" (which no one really knows how to define, it seems). There is something sadly wrong with the world of business and work. For an entirely different approach, there is a book called THE REINVENTION OF WORK, by theologian MAtthew Fox. Quite fascinating.

To Tarcolan, , please accept belated birthday wishes. Merin sa haryalyae alasse!(May you have joy). I like your Hobbit philosophy about gifts.

Best wishes and healing energy to Belle. May wisdom and love guide the surgeon's hands.

I hope that Dimple is alright. There is a nasty weather system right from central Ontario to the Maritimes. I have two brothers and a sister in Toronto. Two of them are without power and apparently the roads are treacherous. It's really quite odd. Central/ Southern Ontario is usually know for its more temperate climate, while we in the Northwest have typically had the harsher winter weather. Ours has been normal - plenty of snow and temperatures about -20C. I hope that all will be safe.

Had a lovely Solstice gathering with my pagan friends on Friday night. I had made ice candles to line the entrance of the driveway. We are in a semi-rural area and there are no street lights, do it can be difficult for visitors to fund our driveway at night. We had a peaceful, restorative and spiritual evening together, lighting candles to hold our dreams and wishes for the coming year.

I saw The Desolation of Smaug yesterday with family and friends. Oh myyyy ! Quite visually spectacular. Smaug was quite magnificent and I loved the dialogue between him and Bilbo. Would have loved to see more of Beorn and his house. I was disappointed at how short that segment was. The music was great, as usual, and I just love I See Fire. Have already downloaded the album and plan to enjoy it throughout the holidays.

The next couple of days will be busy as we prepare for Christmas Eve and Day, so I likely won't be in touch until after that. May the Christmas days be joyful.Ná merye i turuhalmeri!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Well, here I am! I won't say I'm back, because I never went away. I've been reading all the posts and doing my basic staff duties on CoE whilst getting settled in the new house. More of that after Christmas. Anyway we are over the darkest hours of solstice (17:11 GMT Sat 21st)and heading towards lengthening days, even if the worst of the weather is still to come. ... already here in some places.

I've been sorry to see the sadness and worries of my friends here and hope that 2014 holds better fortune. I shall be around over the holidays, as I'm going out only for my Christmas lunch. Meanwhile stay well, stay warm and dry and a very Merry Christmas to everyone! xxx

[Edited on 12/24/2013 by cirdaneth]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME:I'm fine,thank you.We are buried in an enormous accumulation of snow but we have power and didn't have the freezing rain.We just had a big amount of snow and a little bit of wind.People who live in the surrounding of Québec city had it rough,no power, freezing rain, big winds, the works.Some of them still without power and heat.Hope they will have it soon.

BELLE: I'll be thinking about you

CIRDANETH:very nice to see you

To all of you, have a Merry and safe Christmas may you be joyful in the company of family and friends.Keep warm and enjoy the food and all the goodies that surrounds this festive season

To all of you,have a Merry and safe Christmas,wherever you are,enjoy the company of family and frinds,have fun and good food and keep warm
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Merry Christmas, everyone. I hope Santa was especially nice to you all.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Was a good day with friends. Daughter had nice day with family in Denver, son by himself in Hawaii (in the Navy), but had a nice party on Christmas Eve with his new military friends.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
I hope you have all had a restful and inspiring Christmas day, renewed in spirit, whatever your religious beliefs might be. We had both Christmas Everyone a day Day dinners at our home this year. That meant lots of prep,but it felt good to create a beautiful setting for our gathering.

I have come down with some sort of sinus infection since yesterday but that is alright, since I don't need to be mentally sharp on holiday. It's good to just rest, read, visit and play with our sweet new doggie.

Who has seen the new film? It was quite the thrill ride, I must say. Sir Peter & Co have certainly taken some liberties with the story. Even so, I find myself captivated by the whole thing. What say others?

[Edited on 12/27/2013 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Grrr!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Had a very nice Christmas day with daughter and hubby.It was fun and joyous.My daughter left this morning,we took her to her apt.she had to work this afternoon.As usual she went home with a good amount of food and goodies.This visit was much too short though .

I didn't see the movie yet but from the people I know who had seen it,they say that it is a beautiful movie but very far from the book,some scenes are totally made up,like they say, the book is one thing and the movie another.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Tarcolan. Was that a comment on the film.?

Dimplei am sorry that your visit was so short. Perhaps you will get more time soon.

We had the traditional Christmas Eve dinner with family and then dinner the next day as well. I am very grateful that my husband and our sons all worked together to make it happen.
tarcolan
Send Message
Neenime, my grrr referred to my utterly futile attempts to get people to put movie reviews in the movie forum. It's ok though, I'm getting used to being ignored. Perhaps I take things too seriously (joke!). Someone said Smaug had no front legs, so now I simply must go and see it again.

Excitement last night when the ambulance crew got the police to break down my neighbour's door. Nobody in. It seems the lady's mother had taken ill and she got fed up with waiting and got a taxi. She didn't think to phone and cancel it. This is the same lady who turned off everyone's electric one by one in order to find which switch was hers. Duh! I think she's too dim to be thoughtless.

Happy New Year all.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Tarcolan - I missed the request about film review locations. I hadn't intended the comment as a review, in any case. I hope you enjoy dragon-spotting when you see the film again. I hope to go again this week.

Your neighbour lady sounds like a challenge to live with. I hope her mum wasn't seriously ill.

Well, it's -34* C this morning. Yikes ! The dog refused to go outside until it was absolutely necessary. Even then I had to coax him. We couldn't open our front door last night. I think someone didn't fully shut the door and some condensation happened, then froze. Good thing hubby was able to muscle it open.

For any of you with Smartphones, there is an App for the Encyclopedia of Arda. The one for my iPhone is only $3. The Android version is closer to $6, but there is a 48hr free trial. It will come in handy when our Tolkien group gets together and we need to fact-check. Of course, for Tolkien nerds, it's just good to have in any case.

I hope you are planning something fun for the new year.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Sorry, I'll try to put something in the movies area, tarc. Well, the cardiac cath went well and was a big relief. No clogs, not even the one they saw 2 yrs ago so the chest pressure and shortness of breath come from me being out of shape! Time for me to get back to regular exercise again, a bit at a time. Wishing you all a good New Year!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Belle so happy for you. I also need to get more exercise. My pastor asked Sunday for us to visualize what new thing we want for 2014. I want to walk better and that was what I saw for me. More hair would be nice as mine is getting thin
Dimple so glad you had a nice visit though short. I am also glad you did not have that freezing rain I have friends in Toronto that was out of power for days.
Tarcolan I will do a movie review for you. I promise.
Neenime had a great Christmas, my grandkids from Washington state sent my an antique angel. I collect them and a Hobbit calendar. I love both of them. My eldest granddaughter made me a gift. I cried it was a tin box and inside were letters. Each letter had a different theme on it. Example If you are lonely open me. Then she wrote what would cheer me up. There was if you are afraid,if you feel not very pretty, if you are jealous,etc. She then said in a separate letter it was so wonderful for her to have a Grammy she could talk to and she loved me. She said do you like it and with tears streaming down my face I said I love it. So my Christmas was very nice.
Swabby I hope you had a great Christmas.
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.
Have a very Happy New Year.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME:It is very cold here too...artic cold.This morning it was -24C.we don't walk the dog when it's cold like this,I'm afraid his paws will get cold bites.

BELLE:I'm very happy everything is fine,getting in shape is not always pleasant but a little bit at a time is less painful.Good luck

AWELYN:What a wonderful,thoughtful and loving gift your eldest granddaughter gave you.This gift is a keeper for all your life.

To all of you,have a Happy New Year,be good to yourself and others,have fun with your family,friends and pets and enjoy this amazing ride:life
awelyn418
Send Message
Happy New Year everyone and yes Dimple her gift is a keeper and is precious to me.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Happy New Year all!
tarcolan
Send Message
Good to hear everyone had a great time over the hols.

Happy Gnu Year all.

Belle, have you ever tried juggling? Excellent upper body and cardiac workout, and fun too. I use big beach pebbles so I get bruised toes. Good to hear so many people have made a resolution to walk more. I'll be following your progress with interest...

I'm off to watch the new Sherlock (yeeeeee...)
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We just returned from Munich today, from a week of being pampered by my mother-in-law. She is 87, a bit bent by now due to problems with her back vertebrae, but she just loves to cook for us. That is all very well, until we step onto our scales at home. Every year for decades this has been followed by shrieks and a lot of <BLEEPS>. Problem is, she just cooks in a way that we cannot resist munching away beyond mere hunger - <sigh> - but at least we still have her.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Must be something German. LOL... My Grandmother was 1/2 German, 1/2 Serbian and her meals were yummy, but VERY caloric. They do have some incredible stuff, but yes, tends to pack the pounds on because it is so delicious. Sounds like she probably has osteoporosis (thinning of the bones that causes them to compress and people to bend over, especially in the upper back). Good for her that she still keeps going. I still remember my father's mother cooking holiday dinners for us at Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving. Talk about a groaning board! Glad you were able to get to see her, Gandolorin.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@BelleBayard
Just scrolled through the posts again. Congratulations on the cardiac cath results turning out so positive. I can well understand your relief. I’ve been lucky enough not to have had issues in that direction yet. Except of course that breath has been getting shorter over time, but we all know the cure to that.
Especially after having stepped on the scales today *shriek*.

[Edited on 01/02/2014 by Gandolorin]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Belle - good to see that your cath lab procedures went well. Goodto see that your body has been healing. Yes, now it's time for many of us to work on exercise and improving our weight situation. I was given the order by my doctor as well about a year ago. I got more serious about exercise and was lucky to find something both convenient and enjoyable. The results have been really good. I hope that you have good success as well. Here's wishing you all the strength and persistence that you need.

Gandolorin - I hear the same complaints about over-feeding mothers from fellow Ukrainians, as well as my Italian friends. I suspect it has to do with "mother culture". We have also let our good eating habits go by the wayside for eh past 2 weeks. I hesitate to step on teh scale, though I can tell by how clothing fits, that there has been a weight gain. Ah well, as soon as I get back to my normal eating habits and resume regular exercise (interrupted by a sinus infection), all will be well.

Any plans for The Professor's birthday today ? I have friends coming for the evening and we will hoist our glasses at 9 PM local time.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime – my wife’s and my parents being the generation suffering through WWII, they suffered deprivation up to and including the first post-war years. Nothing remotely approaching the carnage that Nazi Germany perpetrated on the Ukraine and all other eastern “neighbors”, of course. But I have noticed the scars they retained, leading to some forms of compulsive behavior – as we as the lucky post-war generation became to see it through our ignorance. They knew what real hunger was, we are obsessed with diets. Time to get a life, is all that comes to mind spontaneously.
tarcolan
Send Message
I was just going to say that, Gandolorin. The prospect of starvation focuses the mind wonderfully. Unfortunately it is passed on to future generations with more than adequate access to tasty comestibles. I'm reminded of the play 'la Nona' by Roberto Cossa.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
GANDOLORIN/TARCOLAN:I was just going to raise that particular point too.It's funny how we thought of that specific part of history.Yes we are obsessed with diets and looks but not enough with reflexion and thinking and all little things that make life so savoury and sweet,of course there are always bumpy rides along the way,but isn't the point of being alive?To ajust and survive and try to make it pleasant and if we can be happy.That's what the mothers do when they give us so much food especially during the holiday season,they give us sweetness and tenderness,they don't think of us getting fat,they only think of making us happy
only because we enjoy their food...and forget about the diet at least for that time of the year.Does it make sense?
tarcolan
Send Message
Yes it makes sense Dimple, but it's also the gorging before the winter dearth. Using up all the perishables in plum duff and stuffed this and that. The problem is it doesn't make sense any more, we can get any sort of food, any time, anywhere. The natural cycles of life have been disrupted and we have to become consciously aware of what we eat all the time. It's worrying. Every other TV program seems to be food oriented, one showing how to create the perfect cheesecake and on another channel how to confront obesity. Cognitive dissonance? Corporate indoctrination? Iatrogenesis? Mmmmm, cheesecake.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Cognitive dissonance, I would guess.
You know things are *clears throat* not good for you, but then …

Two books that really get to the fundamental level of how we tick, especially the part of how we tick that we are not aware of, by Phillip C. McGraw P.h.D (better known as Dr. Phil in the US) are “Life Strategies” (1999) and “Self Matters” (2001). Short compression: “Do not let others harness you for THEIR goals (often against your own goals), shake off that harness and be the real you and pursue your OWN goals”.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:When you say that the natural cycle of life have been disrupted I cannot agree more,not only that, I just look around me how fast young couple live their daily life, up early in the morning,going to the day care, going to work,stop at the grocery store,picking up the kids at the daycare,coming back home,make supper,everybody is hungry,and then it's helping the kids with their homeworks or getting them ready for bed,they haven't sit down yet,and beside all that,it's never fast enough,never big enough,having everything is never enough.It never stops,two cars sometimes three, two children,a dog and a cat and a big house that I'll be too scare to pay the mortgage each month I would have nightmare!Of course they're both working and make money but they have to pay the price.I agree that today both have to work and it's good to get out of the house,it is always a matter of choices and how you want to live your life.It's always the ''now'' that counts and frankly it makes me sorry for them.I like better to have less and enjoy what I have than being stressed and tired all the time.But what do I know,I'm 62 and don't work anymore.I think I'll have that cheesecake nowI'm out of breath!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Dimple_Bumbleroot: and why are they doing this? Did they decide “this is exactly the way we want to live our lives”? Or have they been brainwashed (starting with the commercials accompanying the Saturday morning cartoons) to consume, consume, consume, never mind if you earn enough money to cover your spending (never mind about savings)?

I remember when in the 1960s credit cards – Amex and Diner’s Club were about it - were limited to people with sufficient (read high) incomes. When I got my Amex 1987 in Germany, it was through the company, restrictions were still similar to the 1960s.

Now?

Every Tom, Dick and Harry company seems to issue them; at least they’re almost entirely debit cards here (as are mine), meaning your balance at the end of the month is debited from your bank account. No carrying over balances from month to month (or card to card?), paying interest rates which are usury, plain and simple.

Do people see to it that they pay down their balance? Apparently not, from what I’ve heard from German colleagues who have spent some time in the States recently. What they told about getting a “credit rating” made my hair stand on end like stiff wire.

Get with it and realize that the most criminal and destructive form of organized crime is the financial sector, Wall Street leading the way. And by the way, don’t forget that Alzheimer Ronnie destroyed your savings & loans system in the 1980s.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
GANDOLORIN:I know what you mean,the financial sector has no heart,their purpose is to make money,it doesn't care if your in debt as long as you can pay but when you say ''brainwashed''maybe many are influenced by commercials or what not but maybe too people have to take responsabilities for themselves and see what they can afford or not.It always take two to tango,one who leads and the other one who doesn't ask question about the one who leads.
Alzheimer Ronnie has nothing to do with me,I live in Canada and I was just observing what is going on around me,here.

How are you folks coping with the icy vortex?
tarcolan
Send Message
Here over the pond we're getting the leftover storms, warmed up by the ocean. Very wet but not too cold. Nothing to do with global warming though, o no. That's just an evil conspiracy of a few thousand climatologists who hate our way of life.

Belle and awelyn, I don't suppose you've got any walking done yet what with the blood-freezing temps. Darn it, you'll just have to wait for spring. Shame eh?
BelleBayard
Send Message
Heh... Actually, I go out in my sweats to my garage and cycle for 45 minutes. Cold when I start, but much better a the end.
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello we are back,COE was off internet for a bit,our domain name expired. The person who had the password to renew it was on a cruise. She is back and everything is ok now.
Tarcolan walking inside.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
We're having very bad,weird, temperature.Mild,rain,cold,snow,mild,freezing rain,cold snow...etc,etc,it's very hard to walk because the road is like a mirror and icy.They don't apply salt on the road here because everybody has a well,they put sand instead and when it rains the sand doesn't stay,it is washed off with the rain.

We're in the middle of january,the days are slightly lighter,the holydays are over,people going back to work,students back at their schools,colleges or universities,a sense a ''routine'' is taken place again.And now I'm asking the same question every year at this time,it's not really a question,more an exclamation of anticipation and survival:IS IT SPRING YET!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good day

tarcolan
Send Message
We're still waiting for winter to start. We had a bit of frost two days ago but otherwise it's been warm and rainy. Very odd. That jet stream's all over the place.

Plum lament
What's happened to fruit? I can't find any decent fruit any more. Thirty years ago our noses would lead us to the greengrocer and we would buy a few boxes of big purple plums, their skins hazy with a dusting of yeast. The house would fill with the rich heady aroma and we would bite into the dark soft flesh and drink the sweet juice. We'd make jam, chutney, pies and the best home-made wine ever. Those plums were glorious.

Nowadays the plums have no smell and none of that healthy bloom decorating them. No self-respecting yeast would go near them. They are hard, tasteless and juiceless, and never ripen, going mouldy instead. They just look the part, another example of the glossomanic world we live in. I could even believe they deliberately produce stuff like that to put people off real food so they buy the processed muck, sweetened with corn syrup and with artificial plum flavouring. I wish I had a plum tree.

Have a good moan about something today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
For me it's pork.

I remember wonderful pork roasts with crackling we would fight over to eat. The meat was juicy, tender and packed with flavour. Today's pork is dry, tasteless and leather-like. Of course, it's now designated as the "other white meat" .... but at least chicken has still retained some of its distinguishing characteristics and flavour. *sighs*

As for the weather: we've gone through a period of winter monsoons, followed by warmth and sun. Today, it's so foggy I can't see my neighbour's yard across the street, although the sun is desperately trying to break through the greyness. I'm hoping the good weather holds for a few days as I need to do some final garden clean up.

Primulas are on sale ! I need to pick some up and bring some colour into the front yard.
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email