Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1415161718Last >>
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
tarcolan I do have a plum tree but a different variety they are smaller and red. But they have such a good flavor and I agree about plums and I have had problems with apples but also have two apple trees also so I am blessed with good fruit.
ES I have noticed the same about pork chops.
Our weather has been crazy Spring like and then frigid temps and now we have snow forecasted for Friday. So Dimple I know what you mean . Be careful with the ice. I wish our area would not put so much salt on the streets and in the areas where people have wells. Yes, Spring will be here March 20th hang on friend.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
About two hours ago I fed two of the rabbits that visit our lawn/meadow often at night, a black one and a grey one.
Sliced up some carrots (“what’s up, doc?” ) for them and tossed the bits down from the balcony.
They definitely know the thudding sounds pieces of carrot make by now, they were at them in a hurry.
awelyn418
Send Message
Gandolorin I love to watch rabbits. How sweet that they come to your house for a meal. We feed birds and squirrels in my backyard. We have four squirrels that come for peanuts on a regular basis.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Morwinyoniel was so kind as to post six of my pictures in the “Image Gallery”, “Members Gallery”, “Member's Surroundings” for me, so you can see some of the critters there (the black rabbit may be the same as last night).
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen, my friends. Good to see that we are operational again.

I was following with interest, the discussions and laments about the financial situation and the deterioration of food. I think much of the problem lies in the need to have food that can be transported great distances. So we sacrifice taste and smell for durability, hardness etc. I hate it.

One might not consider me a die-hard environmentalist, but I do lean in that dir4ection. We have started to buy more and more of our food at the local farmers' market. The problem is, that our region is 16 hrs drive from many of the the fruit and veggie in the southern part of the province. If we truly ate local, we'd be living on carrots, potatoes, turnips and apples much of the winter, unless we got back into he habit of freezing and preserving the summer's food. That would still mean no lettuce and such throughout the winter.

As Gandolorin and Dimple say, it would mean a big change in lifestyle. Working, raising a family and spending hours of our free time growing and preserving food is not the lifestyle most people aspire to these days. Perhaps we should reconsider our aversion to it.

In other news - those of you in the States best get ready. Apparently another "polar vortex" is on its way. Below- normal temperatures are on their down from the Arctic in the next two weeks. A month of that in December and January was disheartening, so we are shuddering at the prospect of even more if it. I see Saruman's hand in all this.

Anyone watching the third season of SHerlock ? Oh my ! Fascinating modern interpretation of the old classic. I love Cumberbatch and Freeman in their respective roles.

Hope you are all well otherwise.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Neenime said:Anyone watching the third season of Sherlock ? Oh my ! Fascinating modern interpretation of the old classic. I love Cumberbatch and Freeman in their respective roles.

I'm definitely watching it. I loved the two previous series so I can't wait for this one. I particularly like the way that Watson is portrayed in this series. He often comes across as a bit of a milksop and I like the independence and intelligence he has. His relationship with Holmes, while still difficult, doesn't necessarily inform the direction of his life.

The weather here is mild and dry, which is most unusual for this time of year. We've had a couple of days with quasi monsoon-like weather, but for the most part have escaped anything really nasty.

I'm off to the hospital on Tuesday for a follow-up mammogram as they found "changes" in the screening one. Since the odds are significantly in favour of the changes being benign, I'm not particularly worried, but I will be glad to get it over. I actually think I know what they're looking at, but I forgot to mention it to the technician when I had the screening mammography done.

Today is "Hockey Day in Canada" so I will be glued to the TV for most of the day. My beloved Montréal Canadiens are playing the Toronto Maple Laughs er .... Leafs, their long-time rival which should be a good game.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I agree. This is probably the most sympathetic and enjoyable portrayal fo Watson that I have ever seen. I am a long-time Sherlock fan. Was fair obsessed with him as a teen. Even started to read forensics books as a result.

Here's a hug for you Evilshieldmaiden. I will send prayers and good energy for your health.

We're just back from a wonderful hike with our new doggie at a local conservation area. The sun shone brightly, the snow was pristine and Trooper had a great time sniffing away madly. I am tired but happy.

GO HABS !!! Always my favourite team.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
For me it's strawberries,it's not sweet enough,red enough or big enough.I remember when I was a child,I could put one big strawberry in my cereal bowl and that was enough,not anymore 5 is the lucky number now and also corn on a cob,where are the big yellow ones?Even at the local farmer's market we can't seem to find them.It's always 2colors corn on a cob,not very good,not very sweet and not very yellow,almost white.

EVIL-SHIELMAIDEN:OMG, you're so lucky,already buying primula.I'll think I'll move near your house and forget the winter here

GANDOLORIN: Nice pictures.We have hares,we don't see them very often during the winter but we see their pawprints all over the snow.At springtime they come near the house(when the dog is not out)and eat clover.

NEENIME:It's the same here about local farmer's market but people don't buy their fruits and vegetables as often as they do at the grocery store,because it's cheaper at the grocery store than it is at the farmer's.I think it's so sad,it's fresher when you buy local.I saw one day at the grocery store strawberries,some coming from the states and others from local.People were buying the ones from the states at3lbs for 4$,the ones local were 3lbs for 6$.People buy what they can afford.

It's freezing cold here,this morning it was -28C without the wind factor,now it is -20C and it will be like this the rest of the week.Sunny but extremely cold brrr!

Keep warm if it's cold and have a nice cup of chocolatemiam!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, I had my follow-up mammogram and (unexpected) ultrasound at the hospital and my self-diagnosis was correct: nothing to worry about.

DIMPLE: The primulas are all on sale here. And, I've two Vesey seed catalogs in the mail. It really makes me feel like Spring is around the corner. Mind you, the fog has been heavy for the past week. It tends to lower the temperatures a bit. I have a bush at the side of my deck that has tiny white flower with an astonishing scent. It blooms every February which is lovely.

NEENIME: We're so lucky in this area, There are weekly farmers' markets here, including one in Qualicum Beach. They sell fresh fruits and veggies, as well as baked goods, and other types of crafting articles. We tend to make the rounds on Saturday mornings.

Also, thanks so much for your best wishes.

GANDOLORIN: In this area rabbits = bald eagle food.

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
EVIL-SHIELMAIDEN: VERY happy to read that your checkup turned out fine.

Bald eagle food? Didn't know they fly around at night.
The rabbits have taken to only appearing at night again, that must have been a lucky break for me to see them (especially the hares!) during daytime.
The hedgehogs are still hibernating.
The squirrels may be getting in the mood again, but some still let themselves be distracted by rubbing walnuts together (they know the signals).
And usually head off in the opposite direction with the walnut they get (unless one decides to snack immediately, like today).

[Edited on 01/21/2014 by Gandolorin]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Bald eagle food? Didn't know they fly around at night

No we have owls to take care of them at night.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Those would have to awfully big owls - eagle owls? That's the translation my 1970 dictionary gives for "Uhu", which is far and away the largest owl on Earth. I saw one up close at a birds-of-prey show (invariably held at high-altitude castles in the alpine region). Well, OK, wingspan 5 feet or so, but carrying off a big grown rabbit of the kind I see here seems to be a bit more than their "transport capacity". Never mind about the hares, they could be dangerous for any owl to attack. And as far as some of the bigger squirrels are concerned, one we could identify from the balcony, a big one, told a big raven to get lost in an argument about a walnut. The raven decided NOT to argue.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
EVIL-SHIELDMAIDEN:Very glad everything is OKMany years ago,when I lived in Comox,we had spring before everybody else in Canada and I used to take a mean pleasure to tell my family and friends while they were still bury up their neck in snow...pleasure of the past 'sigh'
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Great news E-S.
What sort of bush is it? My mum has a winter flowering box, buxus jasminoides or something, which is refusing to open its flowers until it gets colder. The smell is fantastic. Also an evergreen clematis with big fat buds that won't open either. I'm hoping we get some snow, still just rain here and no frost. Weird.

Eagle owls will take rabbits easily. They are very big birds. There's a comedian here called Bill Bailey who rescued an eagle owl from a restaurant in China and let it loose. The story he tells of the adventure is hilarious. It's on his latest show DVD 'Qualmpeddler', probably too Anglocentric for the humour to translate though. He did a program about Wallace in Indonesia which is worth looking out for.

Keep well all.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I don't know how we got from bald eagles to eagle owls. LOL Bald Eagles (which is the national bird of the USA) are very common in this area. When they became endangered in the States, we actually sent them some of ours. I can remember some American friends visiting us and being astonished at how many we have. We also have a number of different types of owls, the largest of which would be the Great Grey owl; they are quite capable of catching rabbits.

I'm not sure what type of bush it is, tarc, but it's a shade dweller. It has glossy leaves and the flowers are very tiny. The amount of scent they generate is totally disproportionate to their size. When I bought it, I bought it strictly because it was shade tolerant. I had no idea it flowered and the first winter I had it I couldn't figure out where the lovely perfume was coming from. LOL

awelyn418
Send Message
ES I am so glad you are fine and did get a good report.
Neenime It is so cold here but no snow in my area but other areas have had so much snow. We have a famer's market not far from me. But many people still can in my area. I never have but we love to learn.
Gandolorin I have not seen your photos but I will go there to see them as soon as I get off FOF.
Keep well tarcolan.
Dimple you keep warm too.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Evil-Shieldmaiden hooray for a positive outcome re: your heath concerns. Stay well and strong.

Interesting talk about eagles and owls. We have some bald and golden eagles hereabouts. There is a river about an hour away from here they stock salmon, so the gathering of eagles at spawning time is a sight to see. My husband and I have snapped many a glorious photo of those magnificent birds.

Last winter we caught some great shots of Great Gray Owls as well. They are huge - the size of hawks. I love owls and intend to print one of those photos for my office.

Awelyn - cold without snow is a bad combination. it can damage the roots of trees and perennials. I hope you get relief or some snow cover to provide insulation. We are hunkering down for anoher cold spell. Just had a few days of reasonable, normal January cold (about -20 C or -4F), which was a blessed relief. Apparently the "Polar Vortex" is due back, so it will be horribly cold, especially with wind chill. Brrr.

I think of those poor folks in L'isle Vert Quebec. Not only have they had the tragic loss of so many family and friends in the seniors home fire, but the rescue workers had to struggle in frigid temperatures. My heart goes out to all of them.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Whilst on the West Coast we are parched with no relief in sight. So dry I really worry about fires. Just waiting for them to put us on water restriction. The ice pack on our mountain ranges has shrunk to practically nothing while you poor folks are buried in cold weather. This is not a good scenario for anyone. My cold friends, I hope you can stay warm and send us some cold! Hugs to you all!
tarcolan
Send Message
A few years ago we had had a bad drought all summer and in the November there was the ridiculous situation of water tankers trying to empty water into the reservoir before they froze! Hey! Maybe they could bring some snow down California way by truck, or float some icebergs down there.

It's getting a little bit colder now, maybe some snow later. My chillblains are playing up.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Mother Nature can send us extremes.

We have the equivalent of -40 when you factor in the wind chill. Nasssssty ! We hatessss it, Precioussss.We hatessss it !
awelyn418
Send Message
It is very cold here but no snow. I friends in Ohio that are having ridiculous amounts. I have a friend that the wind was like gale force on her farm. It rolled the snow in what look likes hay bales. It was weird. I hope you all have a great week .
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
While here being cold and snowy, in 2 days we had about a foot and a half of snow.we have a little break today with some sunshine but very cold,even the dog don't want to be outside,only when nature calls and he's quick about it!

NEENIME:Those rescue workers at L'Ile Verte, are real heroes.They have real difficulties because the ice is so thick it's hard to manage inside the building.I was watching the news and a man was saying he was looking at the fire while his mother was inside the residence,can you imagine!!How tragic and desperate he must have been!

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
[b]Neenime said:
Last winter we caught some great shots of Great Gray Owls as well. They are huge - the size of hawks. I love owls and intend to print one of those photos for my office.

Well, then the Great Gray Owls are definitely NOT what's called "Uhu" in German, eagle owl was the translation I got.
I mean, we are talking of wingspans in excess of five feet for the "Uhu", so it's more like a small eagle and far larger than any hawk.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
My European field-guide says Eagle Owl is Uhu in German, Oehoe in Dutch, Hibou grand-duc in French, Berguv in Swedish and Bubo bubo in Latin. 26-28 ins body with prominent ear-tufts. Covers most of Europe but only vagrant to UK, Holland and Denmark.

Great Grey Owl is Bartkauz in German, Laplanduil in Dutch,Chouette lapone in French, Lappuggla in Swedish and Strix nebulosa in Latin. 27 ins body with NO ear-tufts Resident in dense coniferous forest in Arctic Norway, Sweden and Finland. Some years extends over Scandinavia and Northern Germany.

Hope this helps.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Cirdaneth,it really helps,I know the Hibou grand duc and the Chouette lapone.Here in Canada Hibou grand duc lives in the Yukon,British Columbia(except the isles of Queen Charlotte),Alberta, Saskatchewan,Manitoba,Ontario,Québec and also north of Fort Chimo.The chouette lapone lives in the wooden area of British Columbia,also in different areas in Alberta,Manitoba Saskatchewan,ontario, Québec,New-Brunswick,Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.I found that in my book ''The birds in Canada''.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Image .... Eurasian Eagle-Owl

Image .... Great Grey Owl

I think they're both magnificent birds. I have to say I have a particular affinity for raptors of all kinds.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Eagle Owl looks just right. I've also heard of Bartkauz (Great Grey Owl), but anything named Kauz is (perhaps wrongly) stuck in my mind for SMALL owls ...
tarcolan
Send Message
No owls near me.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
When I first moved into my house in the late 70's we had great horned owls. However, it's too crowded here now and most of the big birds have moved away and corvies have moved in. Their cawing in the morning can be quite raucous.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
As per Wikipedia, horned owls are defined as living in north and south America, while eagle owls are described as being Eurasian, both belonging to the genus Bubo.
Horned owls as mentioned by BelleBayard rang a bell, eagle owls not really.
tarcolan
Send Message
It's four in the morning, why am I still awake? Age I guess.
I have discovered the joy of slippers. I haven't had any since I was twelve but I have to say they are very cosy. Feet warm = all's right with the world.

This weekend is all about you.
awelyn418
Send Message
I had trouble getting on here tonight I could not find the link.
I have been battling a virus for three days. I got it from my granddaughter and I am just miserable. I am up late because I can't sleep. So ,all of you have a great weekend. I am off to bed.
awelyn418
Send Message
I had to go to another Link to get on here.
tarcolan
Send Message
I'm confused. What do you mean by 'link'? Just type councilofelrond.com in the address bar of your browser and bookmark it. Or do you mean the link to this thread? It works for me.

[Edited on 02/02/2014 by tarcolan]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ awelyn - What antivirus programme are you using? I'm finding I have serious issues with Adobe Flash Player. After I've used it on the one site I need it for, I have to uninstall it. It's been a total pain in the butt.

@ tarc - Between you and Gandolorin, there's no lack of companionship in the wee hours. He was up until 5am last night. Now if you'd set your chat to "invisible" instead of "offline" you would have us for company. LOL
<< First1415161718Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email