Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1516171819
Author Topic:
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:One thing I noticed when my feet are cold,my nose is too.What's the connection? Search me I don't know!!If I go to bed with cold feet I cannot sleep so when it's happening I wear cute little socks and my night is buzzing with sweet dreams...most of the timeI never have trouble to sleep except when my hubbie is swallowing himself with his snores and when that happens I go sleep in the other bedroom when I can find peace again.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
You need to invent a wee "nose sock" with teeny tiny breathing holes. LOL
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
I suspect It has to do with the body conserving resources. When we feel cold,our body concentrates blood in the center to protect major organs. Extremities such as fingers,toes and nose are considered extra and thus less generously supplied.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
You've got it one, Neenime. My hands and feet and nose are cold a great deal of the time at work because the AC is turned down to about 58-62 C. Brr...

Just got back from a day at Disneyland with my son and hubby. So tired as I drove both ways then went on the rides with my son. Hubby's arthritis was acting up truly badly today with the chilly, rainy weather so he sat it out on the rides. I'm so tired I was having a hard time concentrating on the road home. Not good to fuzz out whilst driving. *sigh* I'm just poking my head in for a bit to check on the forum, then an early night for me.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
oooh .... I love Disneyland! I haven't been in years, but I would like to go again. I went shortly after the kids had returned to school, and you could have shot a cannon through the place and not hit anybody. It was fantastic! We didn't have to wait for rides, or queue up for food.

I can sympathize with your worry about driving while tired, Belle. I've had similar experiences driving back from dog shows. Fortunately, nothing ever happened, although I had a couple of slightly scary incidences happen.

Please extend my sympathy to your husband. It's bitterly cold here which has really done a number on the arthritis in my hands. The only good thing is that it's also beautifully sunny.

Have a wonderful weekend, everybody. The Olympics are starting! Image

[Edited on 02/07/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks, ES! Yes, the colder temps are rough on all of us with arthritis. I have it in my hands, my feet, my knees, my neck, and at least one hip! Comes from all the abuse I did to my body in my younger years. Enjoy the Olympics. I don't think I'm watching this year at all. I'm not impressed with Sochi in the least and don't like some of the stuff I'm hearing about the place. Not all of Russia is like that, but it's rather awful what I have seen so far. Perhaps it's propaganda, perhaps not.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
I love the Olympics and I have not missed a single one. The winter are probably my favorite. It is very cold here and I still have a virus or something. If I am not better Monday I am making a doctor's appointment.
ES do you show dogs and if so what breed?
Belle Disneyland sounds like fun.
Well I am off to bed.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, the weather here remains cold and sunny, but it should be back to "normal" by mid-week. Mind you, what we consider cold probably is a joke to people living in the mid-west or on the east coast. LOL

I did show dogs: bullmastiffs, French bulldogs and the occasional dachshund. I no longer do as I find the expense too much now, although I try to get to the odd show as a spectator only. I got interested when I became co-owner of a male bullmastiff in 1997. I then "fostered" several females for the breeder and finally became co-owner of a female who had been mistreated. I adore the breed but I find they're a bit much to handle with the arthritis in my hands. I am hoping to get a dog sometime this year but will look for something in the mid-size range. No idea what kind.

Image ... Humphrey aka Shire's Frodo Baggins

Image ... Bubbles aka Shire's Champagne Bubble Girl (on her back) with her pal Rosie aka Shire's Rose Gamgee

You will notice the favourite position.

Well, I'm off to do my Saturday shopping and then I'll spend some time with the snow boarders at the Olympics.

Have a great day!

[Edited on 02/08/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Had a good shopping spree, E~S?

Those bullmastiffs just remind me SO much of (oversized) boxers, as do the Bordeaux mastiffs, though the latter have minimum sizes corresponding to the maximums of the bullmastiffs. Also, the Bordeaux mastiff has a really massive head.

And that favorite position also looks soooo familiar.

Are bullmastiffs playful around the family (their pack)? Boxers certainly tend to be, and the Bordeaux mastiff has a reputation for being very relaxed and tolerant of other house animals (cats etc.) - of course, if brought up properly, you can mess up a dachshund (well, they have a basic tendency towards stubbornness anyway).
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Usually I like to watch the ''ouverture''of the Olympics with their big show but this one I found OK, nothing more.I watched it on CBC and there was so much commercials that was unbelievable,every 5min there was a 2 min.commercials,just awful!

ES:I have a Dogue de Bordeaux(Bordeaux Mastiff),his name is Bruno,green eyes,a nose shaped like a little heart,loves other animals especially cats,fond of children,affectionate but has a mind of his own,when walking him he chooses the way he wants to go...afterall this is his walk, lol.The photos made me smile because this is also one of his favourite positions especially in the summer maybe he thinks it's cooler when he sleeps like this.And Gandolorin is right they have a very massive head,I just love to take his head in my hands and give him a big kiss between his ears
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
I see we have some serious dog owners here. It takes a lot of dedication and work to show.

We are also Olympic watching at our house. Enjoyed the opening show but less so than the one from Beijing. Didn't really care for the mechanized and progress-related pieces. I found some of the pieces far too busy and cluttered. Many were elegant and beautiful. I loved the skaters with LED lights and the constellations of Olympic athletes.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Are bullmastiffs playful around the family (their pack)?

Bullies are extremely friendly, and excellent with children and small animals. They were originally known as the "gamekeeper's night dog" and were bred to hunt poachers and lurchers so they tend to very relaxed during the daytime, but "on guard" when during the nighttime. The brindles can scare the daylights out of you because they're virtually invisible in the dark. They don't have a lot of stamina but over a short distance, with their explosive speed, they can catch a greyhound. As for head size, I used to joke that Humphrey's head was as big as a ten gallon bucket. In his prime he weighed 150 pounds. And, yes, they're 40% Olde English bulldog so they can be stubborn; they rest is 60% English mastiff.

I've been watching as much of the Olympics as I can. Canada is doing pretty well. Right now I'm watching speed skating .... the "Orangemen" got gold, silver and bronze in the 500m. The gold and bronze are twins .... very cool! (I believe the Dutch took gold, silver and bronze in the 5,000m as well, although I didn't see it.) I've also been enjoying the snowboarding, although I think they're pretty much crazy.

I thought the opening ceremonies where mundane. But then, I think we're going to have a problem finding one that will match the Chinese extravaganza.

Snow overnight, but it's already melting and the temperature is rising ..... so no shovelling involved. Just a wet cat! LOL He's been stalking the birds at the feeding stations, but they're onto him so he's not having any luck.

Have a great week!
awelyn418
Send Message
We had snow last night also. But it was maybe a half an inch so no problem. I woke to snow softly falling and birds at my feeders. I watched it while drinking my coffee. It was very pretty. I love the Olympics and watch constantly. I am a little confused with the new additions and how they train in other countries besides their country. I guess I am just old-fashioned and use to the old ways. I have watched snowboarding and all the skating and skiing and the Luge.
I love all the dog pictures and Dimple's Bruno is just a darling. I love dogs and I have four dogs of different sizes and breeds. I have a Pomeranian,a Shih-tzu,a Basset hound and a mid size mixed breed. My Shih-tzu's parents were show dogs. She was not a show dog and I bought her for a family pet only and she is 14 years old and a sweetheart.
I am feeling some better. I am calling my doctor tomorrow for an appointment. finally got the insurance problems taken care of today. Well, I am off to bed. I hope you all have a great week.

[Edited on 02/11/2014 by awelyn418]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Another massive storm hitting us at the moment. Somerset is underwater and the Isle of Avalon is an island again, nearly. Now that the Thames valley has flooded and all the posh houses are getting flooded it's suddenly become an emergency. What a surprise. Apparently it's Indonesia's fault, at least that's the latest theory from the meteorologists.

Keep well all.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Lots of theories and blame-games going on about the weather. Weather is weather. Mother Nature will do what she must when things are out of whack. We're still dry as a bone, despite a fair amount of rain last week. It won't make up for the lack for the past winter. Too bad you can't send a bit of that to our West Coast, tarc. The East is snowed under right now so they don't need any more. Too much of anything isn't good!
awelyn418
Send Message
Tarcolan I have been seeing all the flooding all the news and it is awful. I hope things settle down soon for your country.
Belle sorry that you are still so dry if it would only be possible to send water or snow to where people need it.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
We are expecting a big snowstorm tomorrow until saturday morning with strong wind and about 30cm of that white stuff,I am so tired to see white I'm missing the colors of the spring and summer and the perfume of the trees and flowers around me.I'm definitely not a winter person. Tarcolan,I saw too on the news all the flooding,what a mess,it is just terrible, a hardship for the people.Mother nature is not very kind this season
And Belle I wish you a steady rain for a numbers of days it will take to wet all the dryness.If just I could send you that snow!!

I just made a big spaghetti sauce,it smells so good,I can't wait for supper

I'm going back to my book now Dear Life by Alice Munro

Have a nice day all
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Man, I love living on the West Coast! Sunday, snow on the ground and a high of -6C, warming up to rain and +4C by evening. Today, Thursday, it's sunny and +10C. It feels like Spring is around the corner.

Just watching the Olympics during the mornings when the time delay makes them worthwhile here, and the evening wrap up. Canada has been doing well in hockey, although the men only had their first game today. I hope they play a lot better than they did today against Norway, or they'll have their hands full with the Americans and Russians.

Now I'm off to enjoy the sunshine, and see if I can get some laundry done.

Have an awesome day!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Not sure if she visited much, or even a little, but I do want to honor Berethedellan, one of our RPG mods for some time. For some time she has battled an aggressive brain cancer, always upbeat and filled with hope. Sadly, Sunday saw her lose her battle and sail into the West. Please, give a moment to send her family your thoughts. Ber was a wonderful person who will be missed greatly on this site and I'm sure in her family and friends' lives even more so. RIP Mama Were-Mod (as she called her self).
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
My deepest condolences to Ber's family, friends, and CoE friends. She was a classy lady and will be sorely missed...
awelyn418
Send Message
Yes she was a classy and amazing woman and will be missed RIP Berethedelan.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
It seems like it's just been beyond forever since I've managed to get back here. The world has collapsed on me, and it's sometimes hard to come up for air. Nothing horrific mind, just the daily living. School as usual, takes up most of my time. I'm writing curriculum for the first year out of program kids since there isn't anything for us. I get to create it. Joy. Now I'm geek enough to love the writing and finding and creating the curriculum, but it's come down to either the time to teach or the time to create curriculum. I can do both, but then I get absolutely no time outside of school. 8 hours each day on the weekends and several hours in the evenings during the week. Methinks I've reached the end of my rope. Oh, and all of this is without compensation outside my regular salary. Yeah. I'm going in to talk to the powers that be on Tuesday because Monday night is conferences where I'm at school until 8:45 p.m.

Okay. I will quit whining now.

Progress on "The Tome" is coming along. I really am nearing the end. My protagonist is almost to the shores of Scotland. I'm hoping to get it published by later this fall. *fingers crossed* Of course, that goes with whether or not I have the actual time to do it. Oh. I said I'd stop whining. Sorry.

My buttons are about popping with pride. I am the Spelling Bee coach...yes, I am that geeky... The Saline County Spelling Bee was this past Wednesday, and again Crete Middle School rocked! In the 5th-6th grade division we took 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Grrr on not sweeping the whole lot, but the girl who won was a spelling beast. She really did deserve to win. The 7th-8th grade division we took 1st and 2nd. We came very close to getting the whole line-up there as well, but a few bad rounds knocked us out of the running.

My first place winner qualifies for the Midwest Regional Spelling Bee in Omaha in March. This young man has stuck with it since 5th grade. His goal was to get to Omaha, so I'm very excited for him. I had such a good time working with these kids. I never laughed so much as I did after school. I always wondered how much it helped coaching since we spent so much time laughing, but I guess it didn't hurt. Really, it's the kids, not the coaching, that got us where we placed.

My grandson's third birthday is coming up soon. Where has the time gone? The spousal unit and I got to see him over Christmas. It was a year and a half since we'd seen him aside from Skype. I hate living so far away and missing so much of his life, but it is what it is. He's going to be a handful when he gets older. He'll give his mommy and daddy a run for their money. What's the old saying, What goes around, comes around? Yep. Karma, Baby! LOL

I just finished reading a book called Learn Me Good by John Pearson. It's the chronicles of a first year math teacher. If you've ever wondered what my life is like, give it a read. I could have added a whole lot more, but it's a hoot nonetheless. I found myself laughing out loud many times and wondering if he had a camera set up in my classroom. Of course, he teaches 3rd grade, and I'm in 5th-6th. But boy, it's nice to know others are out there dealing with the same stuff I do every day. Well worth the read.

Other than the aforementioned life-bytes, mine is pretty simple. Go to work. Come home. Go to bed. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. It's a quiet life, but I've had random bits of "excitement" and I much prefer the quiet.

Hugs to all of you. I send healing thoughts your way if needed and hugs just because.
Cheers,
Scots
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Healing thoughts reflected straight back atcha scots. Good luck with the book.
I always wondered how much it helped coaching since we spent so much time laughing, but I guess it didn't hurt.
Oh it's way more important than that.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
HELLO SCOTS,nice to hear from you and I can see you are as busy as always but I can see also that you find pleasure and pride in this life of yoursI wish you luck with the book and I always said that I can't wait to buy it and read it.
Keep on laughing,it's a good attitude to have towards life and much more...Hugs to you too
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, I'm one happy Canuck right now! Our women's curling team just went undefeated in the Olympics and dispatched Sweden for the gold medal. Our men's team plays for gold later this week. And ..... both of our hockey teams are in the gold medal rounds: against the Americans.

No offense intended but ....... GO CANADA!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I just don't know, the Olympics generally have faded in my favor (which oddly has not been their undoing, scandalously enough!).
In the Winter Games, much of what has been added just gets a bored shrug from me. There are all the "half-pipe or escapees from it" crowd, with judging involved (which puts me off all of the figure skating stuff, this of course being venerable in terms of longevity at the Winter Games. But the ice dancers Jane Torvill - Christopher Dean with their Ravel's Bolero performance 30 years ago fascinated even me!).
Short track speed skating also has too much of a luck factor (will someone loose it and take me down with them) to qualify as an Olympic sport for me (though the supposed "gods" supposedly living on Mount Olympus might have liked it - those "deities" were just precursors of Dallas & Denver for the ancient Greeks).
Ah well, but now I have CoE, by far more that enough of a replacement!

[Edited on 02/20/2014 by Gandolorin]

[Edited on 02/20/2014 by Gandolorin]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Image Image Image Image Image

Gold in women's ice hockey and men's curling! And, we're in the gold medal round in men's ice hockey playing against Sweden.

To some extent I can empathise with Gandolorin's comments. I find I really only watch the ice hockey and curling because I'm a huge fan of both sports. The rest of passes by in a bit of a haze. I'm aware of our medal totals, but I have no idea who won what in which sport. This Olympic coverage has been bit spotty IMHO and, with the time difference here on the West Coast of Canada, most of the results are known before the highlight programme in the evenings .... so kind of boring.

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all.

It's cold blustery here in Thunder Bay, but we are dug in for the last day of Olympics. We had a "snow day" on Friday after 2 big dumps of snow. I took it as a birthday present from the universe and spent the day watching Olympics, reading, exercising and just hanging out with my family.

So proud of our women's hockey team, who didn't give up even in the dying minutes of the third period against a powerful opponent. Love the cartoon circulating on Facebook, in which a men's hockey coach tells his team to "Play like girls"! Luv it !

I was disappointed that Virtue and Moir didn't win gold in figure skating, but Davis and White were brilliant and Americans can be very proud of them.
Great to see these athletes giving it all. Such an inspiration.

Scots - ow wonderful that your writing goes well. I hope you get published ! What a labour of love. I am glad that you also get to create curriculum. You;re so right though, creativity requires time, space and energy, which are not always available. So glad that you get to do this.

I am looking forward to the delivery of a throw/tapestry with a sketch of the Lonely Mountain on it. Our long winters will mean that I will still get some use out of it this year.

My hopes and prayers are with the people of Ukraine.Finally, after generations of Russian and Soviet oppression, they have stood up and demanded an end to oppression. I am horrified and disgusted by a government that sent snipers to target medical workers and journalists. Clearly Yanukovich has been taking lessons from the KGB and Putin's minions. Shame on him and good riddance. Praying for Peace and Justice for my people's homeland.

Blessings to all of you.

[Edited on 02/23/2014 by Neenime]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime said:
My hopes and prayers are with the people of Ukraine ... Praying for Peace and Justice for my people's homeland.

Blessings to all of you.

[Edited on 02/23/2014 by Neenime]

I very much share you hopes for your people's homeland, that it turns out better than after the Orange Revolution. I do not need to tell you about that and what followed, but especially some of our younger members will have no memories of The Orange Revolution, so a short synopsis:

The Orange Revolution was a bit more that nine years ago, with Viktor Yushchenko winning the revote (after a runoff election rigged in favor of Yanukovych on 21 November 2004) on 26 December 2004. But Viktor Yanukovych managed to return to office in 2010 in what appears to have been a fair election. I very much hope that this time is the true end of Yanukovych and his thugs. But that very definitely depends on what Putin and his thugs feel like they can achieve in terms of a rollback (not that the foreign interests, shadowy ones in particular, backing the opposition that ousted Yanukovych are a thug-free zone!). And the EU (among others) should not leave the new government of the Ukraine to fend for itself as was pretty much the case nine years ago, but should provide some real support. It would also be better if the most important of the others, the US, would finally get out of their Dubya Bush mode of "diplomacy" and realize that that style of "diplomacy" stank then and stinks now.
BelleBayard
Send Message
I'm not getting into politics on the forum as it can be an extremely heated topic. Suffice it to say, I fear our world is getting ready to turn into Mordor and it scares the heck outta me.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Political discussion is actually against the site-rules, but we can speak generally, from a human standpoint, without mentioning names or parties.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yes, that is very true, cirdaneth, and better put than my rather vague post. Thank you.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime,Gandolorin, Belle and Cirdaneth,you've said it all,and sometimes I feel that politics is really scary when it plays with people lives and their liberty and the fabric of societies and what it should be and how it should be,it troubles me enormously.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
cirdaneth said:Political discussion is actually against the site-rules, but we can speak generally, from a human standpoint, without mentioning names or parties.

I take your slap on the wrist as justified.

But we here in Europe are just very much closer to the horrible action that was occurring in the Ukraine. I took most of my information above from Wikipedia. Some very undiplomatic talk about the EU's role in the Ukraine situation emanated from US sources, recalling some very bad days in US-EU relations, and to borrow a quote from the Windsors, "we are not amused", to say the least. I sometimes have to name names to make the point clear, as in specific situations that cannot be avoided.

It would be better not to have such topics to write about, but real life just keeps interfering with such resolutions.
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello I am sorry that I have been gone from here so long. I have never had such a terrible virus that stayed with me so long. But I am here now.
As far as the Olympics I am a fanatic.I have watched since I was 19 and seen many changes. This Olympics I saw the love a brother has for his brother that just made me weep. They were from Canada and I saw the perseverance of the team from Jamica. I saw that age was not a factor in the wins of the skier who was considered an old man because he was in his 30's. He won a gold. The mother from Utah who came back with her dream to win a medal and did win a silver in the Woman's Skeleton. I saw the spirit of man keep trying and the wins of Canada in hockey. I saw a 17 year old from the USA win a gold and I saw a 17 year old Russian figure skater skate her heart out and win gold for her country. So, I know the Olympics are not perfect and some would say corrupt but as always it was the people that drew me to watch,to laugh,to gasp, to weep, and most of all to agree that it maybe a flicker but there is still hope for mankind. Have a good day my friends.
<< First1516171819
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email