Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: May 30, 2003 07:21
Hm, my parents truly hate the movies and the books. Maybe that's because I'm speaking about it all the time. I've no sisters and brothers, so my parents is over me all the time.
"What are you doing?"
"Are you reading that strange LotR-books again? Stop with that and come out in the kitchen and speak to us"
"WHAT! Are you talking with people on Internet about LotR? Are you out of your mind? You're crazy"

Well, it's not easy to be me.
What about your parents and family?

[Edited on 01/05/2003 by Nevthónîel]

[Edited on 14/7/2003 by killjoy]
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: May 30, 2003 10:19
I don't talk about it around my dad that much. He's still convinced there's something evil about it lol. Or he's dismissed it as another fantasy genre that the world is caught up in.

I really think my mom is into it, she's just in denial When I rented Fotr, she was like "Ok, no one needs to know we saw this...

Eventually though I broke myself by buying a DVD player just so I could have the DVD. Then she starts mumbling or screaming "PRECIOUS!!" at random moments...

I managed to get her to drive us a whole 50 miles away to the last available theater playing TTT so I could see it on the big screen. So yeah, I think she's getting into it

But I still get a weird look when I tell her I'm going to bed early so I can "watch the precious". Oh well! There's nothing wrong with me. Really, there isn't!

I was a little hurt though when I said "Walmart is sold out of LotR books!" and she replied "Sold out?! You don't need to buy the stupid thing!
ElvenBeauty321
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 10:34
I think my parents don't mind my obsession much, and they like the movie. My dad had read the books as a kid, so he knew it and watched the movies with me. My mom thinks its ok too, plus she thinks Aragorn is cute. I'm always telling them about stuff on CoE and they listen to my babbling. I even have them read my rpg writing sometimes to see what they think; they always say they're great, but I think thats only cause they're my parents.
So I guess I'm lucky, I think it would be hard if they were dissaproving of LOTR. They probably wouldn't even let me go on CoE if they thought LOTR was evil or something!
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 11:27
Does it count if it is the parent (myself) that is happily obsessed with it?...

LOL,thats me! My husband and sons think I am crazy!
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 12:39
They don't know the extent of my obsession, otherwise they'd think that I've gone insane -- they're not into fantasy at all. I dragged them along to see FOTR with me, but they were unimpressed. My dad doesn't tend to notice my Middle Earth adoration, and my mum just makes a face when I'm on 'that LOTR site again!'. My brother thinks my adoration is some kind of joke or a phase, and he thinks that my learning Elvish is a particularly strange one. Hmmph. Nonbelievers.

[Edited on 30/5/2003 by Fíriel]
Sony
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 03:42
I don't talk about it around my dad that much. He's still convinced there's something evil about it lol.

YES YES!!!! that's my dad all over! for about six months I was banned from reading it [I had just gotten to moria] because he thought there was something evil about it! he didn't even have the slightest clue what it was! grrrr.... that wasn't cool. but there was much intercession on my mom's part and he finally left me to my hobbits. but I still won't watch it when he's home or awake.
Actually my parents don't really have a clue about the extent of my obsession. my dad obviously doesn't know, and my mom might have an idea.... but you know. my parents really hate fantasy. my mom like fairy tales, so she looks at lotr and everything fantasy as either a fairy tale or just stupid. she's can't really visualize things she hasn't seen before because I guess her mind just works differently that way. she likes things and books that are more familiar and close to home. like I said, my dad is an extremely logical person [an engineer, which should explain all LOL] and takes it all too seriously. I think that's what it is.... when he compared the ring to voodoo he lost me! LOL
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 04:02
I am everything with a little bit of insanity thrown in for god luck! I'm serious, my friends can't talk to me w/o hearing several LOTR references. (half of which they don't even recognize) My mom is convinced that it will be short lived, only a few years. I think she's wrong because I've always been interested in history and such (always thought I was born in the wrong time), and LOTRn has all the good things from history. I don't think she understands that it's both fun and educational. She keeps teling me it's junk, and just this night I heard her telling someone about how she was totally obsessed with it when she was my age! I hate hypocrits! Grrrr! Yeah, I'm always scaring people with random LOTR things, and I swear everyone that has ever seen me thinks I'm insane! (lol)
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 10:07
my mum and dad are pretty cool about it. they both read the books when they were little and it was my dad that introduced me to the books(thank u dad!) they don't mind me talking about it or watching the films a million times a day but the think i'm obsessed and i think their starting to get a bit fed up. as long as they don't ban me or anything. anyway i'm not as bad as my little brother. he's tottaly obsessed with spiderman and xmen. if only he liked lotr as muchas i do
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 01:36
My parents were originally cool about it, they had both read the books and liked the movies, but then my Dad started to get worried about me and said something along the lines that I was unhealthily obsessed. I am not!! True, I am obsessed, but not unheathily, My brother is worse about his star wars stuff then I am 'bout LOTR. He actaully tried to ban me from everything and anything to do with it. It didn't work, my mom managed to talk him out of it, but still.....
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Kalainis
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 06:44
My parents thought it was a crazy fad of mine, that would pass when I found something else to be crazy over. Since I first saw LOTR last year, xmas and my birthday have passed and all I asked for was the soundtrack. Hmm, I didn't get anything other then a bicycle pump and a gluegun. I asked them straight out why they got me things like that, and not what I had asked for. My mum told me that LOTR is a silly film, and a waste of time and money. I remember it like it was yesterday :cry:
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 08:36
Well at first my parents thought i would watch it once and forget about it but NO i fooled them. Now they dont want to know what i am doing. My dad used to yell at me for watching the extended version in the living room so i took my dvd player and put it in my room! And now i watch it all the time once and a while they will ask me about it but most of the time they dont. Im happy about that!
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 12:00
The DVD player is mine, something I bought, and when I first had it, I'd only watch when no one else was at home. Then my mom bought me a TV Now I can watch in peace without anyone rolling their eyes or my nephew saying silly things. Although I do wish they'd let him see it more, he'd understand it better and stop asking me such foolish questions!

Mainly I keep my obsession to myself, if I talk about it too much, me and my nephew will get into these insane conversations, as in depth as he can go at age 11 anyways. Then mom will be all over the poor kid "I told you to stop dwelling on that and talking about it so much! I don't like it!"
:dizzy:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 12:09
my father thinks it rocks. he likes the fact that i "work" for a LotR site and that i have a real interest in the world of tolkien. though im sure i sometimes bore him wtih explaining things about the site here or about the lord of the rings. he likes the films and things... of course i can do what i like since i dont live at home any more but its still cool that he doesnt think im a complete freak

my twin calls you all my geek freinds my little brother rolls his eyes when i mention tolkien and my little sister claims to hate it... well i suppose one family member out of four isnt bad!
Galadriel_The_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 12:25
there ok... I get the occasional '.. sad' and roll of the eyes. but they don't really mind.
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 01:15
they think i'm too obsessed. "are you on that stupid lotr site again??" "it's just a fantasy, it's not real!". i love tolkien's works. but my parents seem to discourage anything i put my heart and soul into. my dad judged all of tolkien's books just by one lotr movie! it's so unreal. anything lotr related, i have to buy w/my own money. which is zero cuz i don't get an allowance and my b-day is in feb. my dad almost blocked this site cuz he said i was on it too much. um....i get on twice a week cuz i'm so busy. but anyway, my whole family hates it and won't ever give it a chance.

oh! but there is one ray of hope! my dad was fixing my headphones and was using my portable cd player and it had the lotr soundtrack in it, and he was like "this stupid cd again??" and he listened to it and actually liked it! there's still hope!!!
Dawn-maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 11:06
They are just not very interested - my mother said she would only read it if someone paid her for it.
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2003 05:12
My parents are great about it! No there not as crazy as my sister and I, but there pretty good. My dad read the books when he was in college and he really likes the movies. He just says "well, there are worse things to be obsessed with," and doesn't really mind. My mom really likes great literature and is reading Fellowship aloud to us all. Their briliant! And then there are my sisters, all of whom are into LOTR. No, I'm definatly not alone in my family. Its wonderful. I'm very blessed. And of course, our family homeschools and we've always believed in using your imagination to learn. We've been pioneers, or Jews in hiding, etc. for weeks on end. And fantasy has always been a part of our family too. Before LOTR it was Chronichles of Narnia. Actually, a few years ago we all(my sisters and I) made up our own fantasy knigdom where we were all princesses and we would play that for a very long time too. My parents have always encouraged us in these flights of imagination and continue to do so.
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2003 09:54
my family thinks i'm too obessed.
In the beginning, they used to ask me why i like it so much and "Are you watching the movie AGAIN?" but now they don't even bother.
My dad still rolls his eyes everytime he passes the living room and I'm watching the lotr dvd, but my mom doesn't notice anymore.

Chrissy_Lee
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2003 10:20
My parents dont' really care! I'll get an occasional..."You're watching it AGAIN" or "Do u ever read anything else" but they're just fooling around!:heart:
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: June 01, 2003 12:59
I'm the same Chrissy! My parents learned long ago that my obsessions are just not worth bothering with, because it doesn't matter what they say, I'll just keep watching/reading it!
Nessalda
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 08:52
When my dad first showed me the books about five years ago, I reallly wasn`t interested at all. I thought it was just a dumb book and that I`d never read it.
Then, in 2000, I had nothing to read and was getting desperate so I decided to read LotR. Since then, my life`s changed completely. I love LotR so much!
At first, Dad was happy and kept saying things like "I told you so" then, after I`d read the trilogy three times one after another, my parents started getting worried.
They banned me from reading it for a while! I was so mad!:angry: Now, they actually keep track of when I can read the books.
For example, I have to wait three or five months between each time I read the book or they`ll say things like, "You`re not reading LotR again?" or "You really should do something else". They`ll find all sort of stupid reasons to stop me from reading like, "The weather`s too nice to be reading today. Go outside".
Despite that, they usually don`t mind too much because I nearly never talk about it with anyone:cry: and I only have one or two pictures of LotR hidden away somewhere in my backpack because they won`t let me hang them on the walls.
My brother and sister like LotR, but they`re not into it nearly as much as I am.
When I told them I was trying to learn Sindarin, Dad just smiled but Mum rolled her eyes and gave me an incredulous glance. "What will that bring you in life? You should try to learn something important not some stupid, made-up language!" she exclamed.
That was really harsh but since then, it seems she`s been trying to apologize by leaving me be when I do anything LotR related.
Another time, they kept badgering me with how I didn`t have nay friends and if there was any kind of activity I`d like to do. However, when I informed them that I`d like to practice archery, swordfighting and horse-riding they gave me a long lecture about how I was too stuck in this imaginary world of mine and how I needed to stop having such childish thoughts.
I nodded politely throughout their lecture and completely ignored all they had told me.
I`d love my parents to let me be about LotR.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2003 10:10
I have my mom to thank for getting me into LotR in the first place. About 9 or 10 years ago (I was 5 or 6 at the time) she read it out loud to my brother and me. We were kind of young to understand it all, but, oh, how I loved it. I especially liked Legolas, Aragorn, Eomer, and Eowyn. (now I like Boromir a lot, too) We have had this one really old, beat up set as long as I can remeber. My mom really likes it and is always reading books about Tolkien and telling me his ideas etc. about different characters and things. I don't think she is going to let my sister and I get any more LOTR posters in our room, though. (we have about 7) My dad likes it too, though and always goes to see it with us, even though he hasn't read the books. But he did buy the DVD for us the day it came out!
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 19, 2003 10:27
my parents used to have a budgie named Frodo, so LOTR kinda runs in the family, but i've taken it further than they did. besides, they didnt have the internet or the films back then when they were really into it. i made them watch the FOTR DVD the day it came out, my mum was hiding behind a cushion during the battle scenes! lol

they dont actually know how obsessed i am
FallenAngel26
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 03:29
I think I caused my parents to hate all things LOTR...I talk about it waaaaay too much. If I get in trouble, they punish me by banning me from the TV and computer. So I can't come to CoE or watch the movies...SHAME ON THEM!!!! That's happened so many times, I've memorized the movie guide, lol!

I start yelling at them for "taking away the only things that matter to me," (okay, a little overdramatic, but not too far from the truth) and they look at me like I'm really sick in the head and punish me for yellling at them...grrrrr!! It's a viscious cycle.
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 04:05
My parents don't even know that I'm interested... Ok, they know that I've seen the movies thousand times, but they don't take any notice of me when I'm on CoE.. They don't understand me when I begin to talk about LotR.. I've nobody to talk about it.. cause my friends don't like LotR.. I'm the only one, that's why I became a member of CoE.. Here It's like we're all together a big family :love:
Elbereth339
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 06:13
my parents are very nice about my obsession, but my brother is a jerk about it. Oh well.
Chrissy_Lee
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 11:14
When I told them I was trying to learn Sindarin, Dad just smiled but Mum rolled her eyes and gave me an incredulous glance. "What will that bring you in life? You should try to learn something important not some stupid, made-up language!" she exclamed.

omg..My dad is like that..he wouldn't let me learn it during the school year...I hafta do it in the summer! grr:cry: But since its here.....:evil: haha
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 02:06
my family doesn't understand, nor do they want to. they think i'm crazy cuz i'm reading LOTR again. the last time i read it was in 2001 for english! i don't remember any of it! they wonder why i'm on CoE and what all i do. they don't understand that i just want to chat w/others who like LOTR as much as i do. my brother read one page of the hobbit and was like 'this is boring and stupid. how can you like it??'. that right there just made me mad. i don't think they realized how great of an author Tokien was. he created languages. languages. not just one. many. altering just one thing about a language can create a whole other language. he put so much detail into his works. even w/o the movie, you can invision LOTR just because of the vivid description. all of you that have parents that like LOTR are really, really lucky! it's hard not having "inside jokes" about LOTR and people not understanding cuz they don't get it. each time i do a joke, i have to explain it. o well, i'm just kinda venting here. but y'all that have parents that understand are lucky, and don't take that for granted. it would be nice if all parents could understand.
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 09:25
You're quite lucky, all of you. My parents wants me to stop with "that weird LotR-thing and concentrate on school.."
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 01:13
My dad could really care less... He actually kinda likes it, or at least he'll sit down and watch it from time to time. But my mom is just CRAZY! SHe thinks it's all evil, and that it will create a stronghold in our household... she even once tried to convince me to get rid of all my stuff, but, needless to say, that didn't last very long, I just pleaded and cried and basically pitched a fit, but it was worth it... I finally got her to watch it with me, and now she doesn't think it's all that bad anymore... Aren't parents WEIRD
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 09:24
My parents think it's just a phase, so they're not that bothered, generally they just leave me along. But everytime they come into my room I'm always reading or watching Lotr or something Lotr related!!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 29, 2003 02:46
It does bother my parents a little to see my LOTR/PC room but I've got them convinced that it is just a hobby. They are kind of used to it by now though as I bought my first LOTR Calendar about 30 years ago and I've always had some LOTR items on display.

My wife is rather supportive and allows me to decorate my PC room as I see fit- but she has said that she won't go with me again to a dinner in a room full of "Ringers"

Now my sons, however, even though they are fans , think that I'm becoming certifiable and my grandkids just keep trying (without any luck) to play with my LOTR stuff. I've countered my sons though by asking them to explain the fundamental difference between playing Half-life online instead ofd sending time on COE. To me they are just hobbies and ways to spend time online and I feel that I get more out of it than they do.
theonlyperfectelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2003 10:35
i have to thank my brother for introducing me to LotR!!!!!!:heart: thank u so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my parents think that i m too obssessed!!!!!! when i go on the computer i go to a LotR site(usu CoE) and my mom ses "that again!?!??!?!? its not real and u prob wont even meet the actors. so stop it!!!!!!!! its crazie!!!!!!!!!!!" yes so my parents dont like it. my dad read it but he thinx that it is stupid. how could he say that??!??!?!!?!:cry:
Frodo_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2003 12:42
my dad told me about LOTR last year.i watched the first movie then he bought me the boxed set for my birthday.but he thnks i am crazy for liking it so much. i have 2 posters in my room,about 5 things on my very small corkboard,a whole bunch of the trading cards,all there books in the one volume edition(which took about a month before my momwould buy it for me,which stunk cuz the covers on my old ones were falling apart)and 4 christmas, my mom got me the extended version of the first movie, which came with that wonderful free ticket for TTT.i made her see it with me(she hadnt seen the first one before) and she hated it, she siad Gollum scared her.plus she almost fell asleep, and the same with the first one when she watched it.i also have some other books that tolkien wrote and books about LOTR.my one friend likes LOTR a little bit, but the good thing is, my boyfriend likes it:love: i am REALLY happy about that!
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2003 01:16
LOL, in my case it should be what my children think about my obsession:blush: .....They tease me about my spending to much money on collectibles, which my latest is Aragorn's ranger sword and the ring.but they always pick them up when they come over. They always put the ring on and say the famous line.... One ring to rule them all.....lol makes me smile

[Edited on 06-04-03 by Emerita]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email