Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Este
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: September 11, 2003 03:52
Well,the general opinion of people that don`t know me that much is that I`m a bit crazy,or funny...My dad thinks I`m childish because of it,my mom tries to be serious but I catch her laughing at me...My friends on the other hand,respect it-one is obsessed with vampires,and the other is a former Harry Potter addict,so they know what`s it like to be obsessed
Lady~Culin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 02:59
I don't really care what people think of my obsession. Some people have bad habits, but I consider this as a good one. It keeps my mind off the darkness of the world. I like it because it's just so unrealistic that it... seems real. I know, hard to explain, but hey. I don't care what others think of me. So there.
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2003 06:06
Most of my friends and family are as obsessed as I am. My mother read "The Hobbit" to me because she wanted me to appreciate good literature. When the films came out, my brother and sister and I made an agreement to see each one for the first time together. My dad doesn't understand. He has never read any Tolkien (although Mum hopes to persuade him to soon).

What I find strange is what LOTR does to strangers. People who see me reading it on the bus will smile at me. Audiences for the films are fascinating, because you can tell those who know the story from those who don't (something about the eyes, something about the smile). Then after, you see some of the ones who didn't know it with the same look in their eyes. It's wonderful!

Neneithel
~ForeverElvish~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 07:05
People say I am a freak, but I take pride in that..lol
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2003 09:26
Well, for the most part my friends are all into LOTR to. though not all of them are obsessed. The ones that are think it's awesome I have a Rivendell themed room complete with full size Legolas stand up, and elvish dresses. The ones that aren't just kind of nod and smile politely hoping change the sub ject, yeah right.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
oinklikeapig
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2003 09:44
Some of my friends liked the movie, but they only saw it once and they won't read the books. Since I only discovered LotR at the end of the school year, and had the entire summer to develop my obsession, they think I'm a lot stranger this year. Although, you can't really blame them. Some of the things I've done this school year are: Translate English to Sindarin in class and study hall, speak Sindarin to friends, write in my homework planner only using the Tengwar, get Tengwar font on my computer and type in it... etc. It's just that I'm happily obsessed and proud of it, not trying to hide it. My next goal is to teach people that the languages are called "Sindarin" and "Quenya", NOT "Elf." Everyone always says, "Say something in 'Elf' for us." And then I say, "It's Sindarin!!!

My sisters are not anywhere near as obsessed as I am, though they are members here... and my parents... well, I don't think my dad reads... and my mom refuses to read it or see the movie. She just says, "You know I'm not into fantasy." I say, "I know, but this isn't fantasy!!" So when I start babbling about the latest thing I learned in Sindarin, or how I'm upset that the movies were slightly different from the book, she just kind of nods and rolls her eyes when she thinks I'm not looking. Oh well.
Celwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 09:52
i guess im lucky cos my mum while not mad about it doesnt mind that i like it and my two friends are also totally obsessed by it so we get to chat about it all the time. i love loads of the topics in the forum.
the only problem is the guy i like :love: has seem me on here and he saw me on it today and started making jokes about how often i am on here! :cry: my friend is on it more but cos i hang with her he thinks im a complete maniac as well lol it really hurt what he was saying and he is supposed to be 24!!!!! acts like a kid but then thats why i like him! :drool:
oh well

celwyn:blush:
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 01:24
Well, my dad can't have a problem with it, b/c my sister has a huge obsession with soccer so if he were to get on my case he'd have to get on hers too!

Besides, its not like I'm locked away in some distant room with only my Tolkien books or something... It doesn't run my life, its just an innocent obsession... Honest! :love:
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 06:27
Whoa, it seems like I'm one of the few here who has parents which truly hates LotR! I've been to RotK twice now, and my mum is still nagging on me how much money I lost and what I could have used them for.
My father tried at least. We watched FotR EE together, but when the fellowship is about to go into Lothlorien my father said:
I can't stand this crap. I'm going to bed.
Well dad, thanks a lot. I has to sit and watch the rest all by myself since I haven't got any siblings. How fun is that?
So now, I always call my father "ada", and it makes him crazy, but I enjoy it! *heehee*

My mother only nags about all money that I've "waisted" on LotR. When I was in London with my family a couple of months ago, I went to the Lotr-exhibition - Alone! I found a lot of nice people there though, but it's a pity that my parents didn't follow me, it was awful to go there alone. I speak English quite good, but not fluently, so what should have happened if I got hurt and had to go to a hospital?
Ah well, I know I overreact now, but still.
Can't they just accept that I adore Tolkien?

Anyone around with the same problem or someone who knows how to solve it?

Take care, all parents who accept that their children likes LotR...Go you!
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 10:01
ouch! no, i cant say im in the same boat. my mom and friends think im nuts, and my dad actually enjoys it, though is certainly nowhere near obsessed! but i certainly have to censor my comments so my friends wont stop associating w/ me.
Solar_Flare
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 10:50
No one in my family knows just how obsessed I am with LOTR except for maybe my sister. She has banned me from reading her books. She also happens to have the EE versions of the first two movies. I have to ask for her permission now cause she's saying that I'm going to wear the disc out (and with the rate I'm going I'll have to agree with her :blush: ). She finally broke down and bought me a copy of the FOTR EE for christmas.

I don't talk to my brother about LOTR cause he'll just throw insults at me non-stop till I leave him alone.

My mom prefers to not have much to do with us kids (her own kids :dizzy: ) so whenever she hears my sister complains about me watching LOTR "again" she does her "rolling-eyes-whatever" look and goes back to what she was doing. I think as long as it's not illegal or satanic, my mom doesn't care what we do.

My boyfriend however just plain out refuses to bring up anything closly resembiling LOTR and he's a DnD buff.
xLegolasx33x
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 01:43
My Friends think call me Crazy for being upsest with LoTR and all the actors! My bestfriend (& Her parents!!!) always makes fun of me!therre just joking but still.... My parents don't really care that I'm upsest but they also tease me whenever anything about its on tv (especially if its aboutOrlando)They scream across the house "Kirby Your lovers on The T.V!" haha! they also always make fun of me saying that if i spent 1/2 the time I spend readingup/orwatching LOTR as I do on my school work I'de have straight A's
Eldameldo
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 08:02
NO ONE i know here is into LotR's like me, and it's pretty lonely somedays When i get excited about something i've found out or remembered about characters or the storylines, and go to tell someone..and no one wants to hear about it. I just walk away feeling like i've been kicked in the stomach. So i am now keeping it to myself, one thing though i am very glad to have found CoE...it's home here. I don't feel so alone knowing you are all out there enjoying the magic too.
SarumanRhodes
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 05:37
Well.................... I talk about it so much that everyone I know completly hates it now. They always say," Oh there she goes again" and they let me talk about it while I am talking to them, and they just smile and nod.
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 07:04
Well,My parents want me to try something else for a while(yah like that's gonna happen).My brother doesn't like it cuz he's obsessed with video games and I'm always to busy on this site to listen to him blab 'bout his games or find cheat codes for him.My classmates think just because I read the whole series means I'm automaticly an LOTR expert and are constantly asking me questions about M-E for their book reports.My best friend thinks it's okay to be a little obsessed.I know this is silly but I'll tell ya anyway.Since I always keep my door closed when I'm on the computer my cat meows her head off and scratches the door to get in.When I finnaly let her in she wants to get out.Then she wants to get in.It's really annoying.
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 07:19
My parents think I'm nuts, even though my mom did buy tickets to go see lotr the morning it came out. It was probably only because she thought I'd spontaniously combust if I had to wait another day to see it. My lil sis is kinda into it but everyone else is so tired of it they don't know what to do. They have no idea what theyre missing anyway...
ring_of_barahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 05:31
my friends think I'm crazy and my parents think i'm crazy, and I know that i'm crazy (about LotR of course)

like last year, we learned that girls speak about 7,000 word perday and my friends accused me of speaking 6,000/7,000 about LotR (not that that's a bad thing)

and my parents can't get into the movie to save their lives this is what happened when they tried to watch it: (**note this was at home)

me: blah blah blah (obsissive whispering)
Nicole (my friend): blah blah blah (obsissive whispering)

mom: and there's Deni's boyfriend
me/Nicole: obsessive snickering

mom: there's my boyfriend

mom: there's Nicole's boyfriend

mom: and there's Tom's (my dad's) boyfriend
me/Nicole: obsessive pointing and laughing
dad: SHUT UP I'm trying to watch the movie!

they don't get it
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 06:18
LOL!! R_o_B, that was hilarious!

My friends (most of them not near as obsessed as I am) have come to the point where they just roll eyes or raise their eyebrows once I start talking about LOTR We've tried playing questionaires or a kind of trivial pursuit with LOTR questions, but after about two tries, they've given up playing with me Apparently I don't let them win enough times
They usually refer to me as the "crazy woman who's seen all the movies about 15 times in theater before buing the DVDs and seeing it an uncountable number of times again"..

Thank goodness, I have about one RL friend who's just as obsessed, and we use hours talking about how good the book is or perving over different LOTR characters/actors.. :evil:

At first my parents were thinking that this would be a part I'd just get through.. wouldn't last that long, they thought.. Perhaps something like my obsession with this comedy show who used to go on TV here a few years ago..
But now, 2,5 years later, they're not so sure it's just a short part of life I'm going through
I've been obsessed with LOTR since I first heard of FOTR.
The posters have been there that long, the books, the images around my room, the desktop and screensaver on my comp, drawings, writings.... They get reminded of my "short obsession" every time they want to talk to me, so to say, as I'm always in my room when they want something.
They have stopped waisting time trying find out what I'm doing on internet so many hours of night (I'm often here at 6am when I'm suposed to get up at 6.30..).
They actually leave me pretty much alone. Am I starting to act *that* much like Gollum?
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 07:10
Whee, the memories... I was in middle school when I first read the books, and it was love at first sight, lemme tell ya. It was a good friend who introduced me to them, so she was thrilled that I had discovered them too, and as the years went by she got a kick out of the fact that my obsession outgrew hers. My parents, however, were less than thrilled. They're people of great intellect but little imagination, and just why I should wish to write in strange alphabets and do geometry papers about the symmetry of a made-up island and write essays on state-required exams about Aragorn was really beyond them. I had to become a bit of an undercover fan, as after a year the parents became genuinely concerned that my obsession was unhealthy. But the popularity of the movies has helped, and now I can be a little more free about my interest. I'm still a little hesitant to speak about it until I'm sure I'm talking to another fan, but my best friends mostly share my interest, or at least are appreciative of fantasy, so on the whole it's a much better season to be a Tolkien fan.
Heather_lotrfan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 02:04
Most of my family and friends know that I am a huge Tolkien fan and they call me things like Ring geek. However, I have managed to hide the fact that I am not just a fan, but slightly obsessed. People in my "real life" have no idea that I post on CoE and INReview. And they don't know that I memorize entire sections of the books and thirst for as much LOTR knowledge as possible.
Divinity
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 12:33
My dad is always making sarcastic remarks when I tell him stuff about Lotr . My mom tolerates it and I got my brother to come to see the movies with me . He and I freak out about Gollum . I think that kinda made him not like them as much . My friends don't like them but they listen to my babbleing . But I some friends that like them so I email them to relieve my craving .
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 07:04
Well, my aunt was the one that gave me the books, a few years ago. I quickly became obsessed and found other friends to talk LotR with, and have piles and piles of notes in my room (all pencil, on lined paper) from tengwar charts to sketches of what I think Morgoth's crown looks like. My parents were OK with my new hobby, as it seemed to distract me from my depression. Now, they're sometimes annoyed about the fact that I spend almost all my day on LotR-related sites, THEN I cram in my homework at 10 P.M. But, they're cool with it, and occasionally point out info for me, such as that they saw the Hobbit paperback at a tag sale, or that they heard a museum on the making of the LotR movies is opening in Boston in October, or that the EE were on IMAX screen downtown. My friends don't really have a clear opinion; it just serves to aid the assumption that I'm a weird loner who doesn't like being around people. I guess it has elevated my reputation as a nerd and decreased my chance of actually being seen as a real person, and I get many, many girls coming up to me and asking me to say something in "Elvish."

My next goal is to teach people that the languages are called "Sindarin" and "Quenya", NOT "Elf." Everyone always says, "Say something in 'Elf' for us." And then I say, "It's Sindarin!!!

Amen to that!

Anyway, I'm sometimes jokingly teased about it, like being called Elf-boy, Frodo, or Master of Middle-earth, but nothing really serious goes on.
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 08:18
Most of my family and friends know that I am a huge Tolkien fan and they call me things like Ring geek. However, I have managed to hide the fact that I am not just a fan, but slightly obsessed. People in my "real life" have no idea that I post on CoE and INReview. And they don't know that I memorize entire sections of the books and thirst for as much LOTR knowledge as possible.

ditto, they do know that I'm reading lotr in Spainsh to help me in Spanish (and I had to get them when I saw them)

My dad is also convinced I am the only Tolkien fan that didn't see the movies
Heather_lotrfan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 08:53

ditto, they do know that I'm reading lotr in Spainsh to help me in Spanish (and I had to get them when I saw them)

The movies are what got me interested in Tolkien, but the books are what made me fall in love.

Why haven't you seen the movies, tuttleturtle?
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 11:30
Well, my sister is also obsessed with LOTR, so she understands. My dad thinks it's really wierd though. He doesn't get it at all. My mom gets it to a degree.
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 11:44

The movies are what got me interested in Tolkien, but the books are what made me fall in love.

Why haven't you seen the movies, tuttleturtle?

I just don't like movies. There is something I hate about all movies, I can't figure out what but there is something.
snoopy_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 11:45
My parents have no problem with it, even though they make fun of me. I try to keep the fact that I am obsessed LOTR around strangers low and when I am at school. I can't. School, my binders have quite a few pictures of from the movie on them. If they ask, I tell them I am a fan and I seem to ramble on... and I always have one of Tolkien's books on me, well most of the time. But I have a friend who is equally obsessed as me, if not more. Am not that odd, am I?
storybook
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 06:44
My friends are all "we can't be bothered sitting in the movies for 3 hours!" And the books... well... don't go there! I have some bookworm buddies among my friends, though, and whenever we go to a bookshop we kind of seperate when I wander off to the Tolkien section. Heather_lotrfan- that's awesome you're reading LOTR in Spanish. How fluent are you? I must get my hands on a copy written in German, though I'm only school-taught so it'll be tough going!
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 12:06
Now, they're sometimes annoyed about the fact that I spend almost all my day on LotR-related sites, THEN I cram in my homework at 10 P.M. But, they're cool with it, and occasionally point out info for me, such as that they saw the Hobbit paperback at a tag sale, or that they heard a museum on the making of the LotR movies is opening in Boston in October, or that the EE were on IMAX screen downtown. My friends don't really have a clear opinion; it just serves to aid the assumption that I'm a weird loner who doesn't like being around people. I guess it has elevated my reputation as a nerd and decreased my chance of actually being seen as a real person, and I get many, many girls coming up to me and asking me to say something in "Elvish."

My next goal is to teach people that the languages are called "Sindarin" and "Quenya", NOT "Elf." Everyone always says, "Say something in 'Elf' for us." And then I say, "It's Sindarin!!!

Amen to that!

Anyway, I'm sometimes jokingly teased about it, like being called Elf-boy, Frodo, or Master of Middle-earth, but nothing really serious goes on.

hey, better it getting called "Elvish" (rather than sindarinwa/sindarin or quenya) than "Elfin." which is what I get a lot... *exasperated sigh* "Can you recite the first chapter? Can you say something in Elfin? Can you do a Gollum voice? What did you just write? Are those letters? Can you translate it? Can you, Elfi?"... okay, I don't mind being called Elfi. But it gets a little tiresome after a while...
Well, see, last year I had this tight knit bunch of friends, and we always sat together and played stuff together, and we were really close... We had one LotR freak, and we were all just sorta exasperated with him... Then, last summer, one of them went off and got dumped, and so now he's on/off hyper/depressed. Another got a boyfriend and now can only talk about him. Another became utterly obsessed with her grades, and won't talk about anything else... ne way, we all got sorta split up. I stuck with the LotR freak and ended up the way I am... I wasn't what I'd call really obsessed 'til about five months ago...
Now, for some reason, everyone except said LotR freak become singular friend seems to just leave me alone. They assume that I'm happy standing in a corner and muttering to myself about rings... which is sorta true. Then, when I have to use a table to do homework at lunch *guilty look*... well, the stuff I didn't finish at midnight the night/morning before... it's always like, "You really are obsessed, aren't you?" and I'm like... "Uhmmm... yeah.... *holds up lotr quote covered binder, pix of still shots and the actors and the cards from the soundtrack boxed set, soundtracks, books, backpack embroidered with lotr quotes*" hey... I only had that stuff with me because I was doing a speech about LotR...
Heather_lotrfan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 12:25
My friends are all "we can't be bothered sitting in the movies for 3 hours!" And the books... well... don't go there! I have some bookworm buddies among my friends, though, and whenever we go to a bookshop we kind of seperate when I wander off to the Tolkien section. Heather_lotrfan- that's awesome you're reading LOTR in Spanish. How fluent are you? I must get my hands on a copy written in German, though I'm only school-taught so it'll be tough going!

Tuttleturtle is reading it in Spanish, not me.
I_am_no_man
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 06:22
I'm really lucky, I've been blessed with an awesome Mom. She goes to conventions with me, she dresses up at the conventions, she waited in line in the freezing cold in December with me to get ROTK tickets, my mom rocks!
Aranel_Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2004 10:42
I guess I have no problems with people liking my LOTR obsession.

My mom read the books when she was younger, and gave them to my brother when he was young and to me in turn. We all loved the books, saw the cartoons that came out in the 70s (don't ask they were really as horrible as people say they were).

I read the books when I was quite young, and always wanted to be an elf. My family encourages imagination and always have. So I guess I am very lucky. Creative people are often surrounded by those that do not understand. Don't worry, you will find others that share your passion, you already have on here!
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 06:42
I'm really lucky, I've been blessed with an awesome Mom. She goes to conventions with me, she dresses up at the conventions, she waited in line in the freezing cold in December with me to get ROTK tickets, my mom rocks!

Omg, you must be very, very lucky!
I wish I had a mum like that myself.
I was on this convention thing last weekend, and met Billy Boyd, tried out a sword and lots of other things - but I did it alone. Of course it was amazing, but it would have been much more fun if someone would have been there with me.
smart_elf_girl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 05:55
My parents don't really care that I'm obsessed- I think they reckon its a teenage thing and "I'll grow out of it" He he he :evil: My dad's never read the books/seen the films so he's not bothered. My mum has and liked them and she kinda introduced me to the books. My bro has as well but he just thinks I'm odd.

My friends just accept I'm the weird geeky girl who's obsessed with some books/films and loves this old man in them (Aragorn. lol). I did my IT project on the Fellowship which people thought was a little odd but I don't care! It's kinda a joke between people I know but doesn't really bother me.

They don't know what I do at home though with me spending most of my time on here!
MasterBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 03:16
my brother calls me a nerd and my friends think im simply crazy
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email