Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Haradiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: August 12, 2004 05:15
Well, my dad is great, as he's just as *cough* obsessed as I am, though he won't admit it. My mom doesn't really care one way or the other, and two of my sisters don't like it at all. My little brother and sister semi-like it, but they're still younger, so I've got time to show them the proper path. :disco:
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2004 06:31
Some of the things I've done this school year are: Translate English to Sindarin in class and study hall, speak Sindarin to friends, write in my homework planner only using the Tengwar, get Tengwar font on my computer and type in it... etc. It's just that I'm happily obsessed and proud of it, not trying to hide it. My next goal is to teach people that the languages are called "Sindarin" and "Quenya", NOT "Elf." Everyone always says, "Say something in 'Elf' for us." And then I say, "It's Sindarin!!!

Cirth here, but same. Elf. ELF!! *grits teeth and screams*

Other than that, most people are pretty good about it. They don't think I'm speaking English half the time (and about half of the time of that, they're right... it'll be some wierd unintelligible mix of LotR names, English, Sindarin, Spanish, Latin, and Gibberish) but I think they accepted that long ago, back when I'd go on and on and on and on and... you get the idea... about garlic. or goats. or horses.. or any movie i'd seen recently.
My dad's quite good about it, he'll watch the movies from time to time and once he even tried to read the Silmarillion...
My mom'll be like.. "Wait. Whose fin? There was a fish?" *rolls eyes* but since we don't talk much anymore it's not much of a problem. Mostly she says "Get your nose out of that book/computer/movie and come make dinner!" or "clean up your mess!" (which is invariably my sisters')
My older sister likes the movies... sorta..
My older brother is very very proud that he's finally read the third book, and seen all the movies. (he wouldn't watch the movies until reading the books.. which is cool if you ask me)
My little sister likes it almost as much as I do and puts up with me quite well... *is very glad* even if she can't read well enough to make sense of the Silmarillion or the LotR books yet, at least she knows who Aragorn is! And how Estel, Elessar, and Strider are related to him... (same guy, duh)... and can even recite his family. Back about three paces... lol

Ha, I'm a cracked nut and proud of it!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 13, 2004 02:13
At one point, when the discussions about LOTR were most active everywhere, my husband was afraid that I'm going to get lost on the messageboards... But, I've made it quite clear to him that he and the children are my real life, and the net is just a means to keep in contact with my distant friends.

Both of my daughters have watched the LOTR movies, and the older one has read the books; neither of them has become such a diehard fan as their mom, though.

Neither of my parents are into fantasy, and probably will never even watch the LOTR movies. My mother's comment, when she heard that I was going to meet a couple of people that I had learned to know through my LOTR fandom, was: "Oh, those freaks?"

I have very few friends who I know are interested in anything like this.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2004 11:04
My husband loves the movies and has started the LOTR books but doesn't have much spare time or motivation to finish them. But he is very supportive of my obsession. Friends don't really say much, none of them are truly into Tolkien. One of my sisters read the books years ago and actually had told me about them before I had seen the movies or read the books. She also said she made my youngest sister who was still living at home with her read the books so she would have someone to talk to about LOTR. Turned out my youngest sister didn't care for them. But anyhow, now at least I have one sister that truly loves LOTR. The only drawback is we live far apart and rely mostly on emails. It would be great to have someone to talk with who shares this obsession. I haven't met anyone in this or a couple other websites I joined yet, anyone who would like to talk, feel free to contact me.
tiniwel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 02:13
Ok, everyone thinks it's like sooooooo totally WEIRD!! (my bro being a living example) Some of my friends LOVE LotR and I get along with them really well. They're the only ones who don't think I'm crazy.

Sarah aka Tiniwel
MasterBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 04:54
about everyone i kno thinks im crazy but they are used to it by now i guess, my dad thinks its evil or something tho:evil: but i dont really care what anyone thinks anymore. i dont think anyone knos how much i really like tolkien tho :heart: :love: :drool: :rolling: :disco: :cheers:
Phëdriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 05:15
I've got a great family. Almost all of my dad's siblings (Including my dad himself) have read the books and like LoTR, though most of them aren't as obsessed with them as my sister and I are... In fact, it was my dad who first read them out loud to my sister and I when we were 7 and 5... We really didn't get it, but *somehow* we ended up obsessed. We used to play 'Lord of the black land come forth' and 'Middle-earth kitties at the door (don't ask!)' with him and when we finally saw the movies it inspired me to read the books again... Now I'm working on TTT for the third time and halfway through The Silmarillion for the second time...

My mom is also a passive fan. She likes LoTR (but isn't actually obsessed with it) and is willing to listen to me and my sister argue about whether Fëanor was an idiot or not for 15 minutes straight.

My sister is as obsessed as I am. She was actually the one who got me to read Teh Sil... Lately she's taken to yelling at me about "Can't we talk about something other than Lord of the Rings for once?!!!", but in general she's really good about it.
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 01:59
My mom is also a passive fan. She likes LoTR (but isn't actually obsessed with it) and is willing to listen to me and my sister argue about whether Fëanor was an idiot or not for 15 minutes straight.
I hope you were the one saying he wasn't, or you're going to get my Glare of Doom .

My friends don't really care. One is about as obessed as I am, and one is a fantasy fanatic.
About half of my family members have seen the movies, and I got my sister and parents to read the book. My sister acts obsessed because I am, and she even listened to The Hobbit, but she really doesn't care. I'm currently working on getting my mother to read The Silmarillion.
elflin999
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 12:28
I have a funny story. Please bare with it. My mom sort of rolled her eyes at first now she knows some of the actor by charcter. My brother, my two friends and I have a running joke. My brother is of the race of man. One of my friends is a nice hobbit. My other friend is a dwarf and I'm an elf. If anyone knows the traits of each race you'll find it funny.
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 05:38
My parents are content to read it and watch it, and my sister likes it. They don't like my obssessiveness(sp?), though. Whenever I try to strike up a conversation with them about LOTR they just ignore me. A few of my friends quite like the movies, but they don't like it enough to talk about it.

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by Anoria_Miriel]
sazzra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 09:57
I have been declared officially insane today after dragging two friends around fabric and wig shops to get stuff for costumes for Ring Con. Yes, I am an adult. Yes, I am a teacher. Yes, I am insane
Oni-chan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2004 10:38
My brother always have a thought that he had a poor sister who obsessed to much with LoTR. he always said "Legolas again?? Duh, get a grip with reality will ya!", whenever I'm enjoying my collection of LoTR pictures...and I'm seeing at Lord Elrond not the Prince of Mirkwood!!

My friends always rolled their eyes whenever I mentioned: Haldir, the One Ring, LoTR....etc. let alone about the fanart that I draw. the worse thing is they never let me finished my sentences about LoTR... :evil:
Vingilot~sailor
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2004 01:52
Really Oni-chan? I'm glad my friends aren't like that. Most of my friends are LotR fans too. My mom and dad really don't care that much. My dad likes to tease me and I think my mom concerend sometimes lol. Two of my brothers think I'm nuts, but one of my sisters is also a fan(but not as obsessed as me lol).

[Edited on 15/10/2004 by Vingilot~sailor]
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 08:01
my best friend tolerates it . sometimes she sighs, sometimes she laughs and a couple of times shes groaned. poor gal. but then i put up with her amber benson obsession.
my family put up with me. they all love lord of the rings, but i think im the only one really obsesed.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 11:05
my parents think it's cool because i got them into lotr. My friends think it's okay...since Orlando Bloom is in it. ( i don't)
I got them semi-obsessed with it.
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 09:18
actually my alot of my friends like lotr as one of them came up to me and ask me if i wanted to be inthier modern pardoy of it.
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 05:46
T.R.U.C.King this thread... (see "Thread Killer's Untie thread in this forum if you don't know what I'm talking about)

My parent's are not into LotR, but they understand me and my sibling's fascination with it (maybe). Most of my friends think I'm nuts. Except for the ones that are also into LotR... but hey, I don't care what people think, I love LotR anyways!
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 04:37
Hey unique thread. Good one abots!

Oh my. My sister thinks I'm nuts because all I want to talk about whenever I'm into LotR talking is of course LotR. Even my parents think what to do to me of being obssessed by it, but they understand me, my mum actually asks some questions about LotR and proud to answer it!:disco: I like being obssessed with it, I found alot of things in here!
Liave_Ekeli
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 11:18
When it comes to LOTR, my father thinks I'm a bit too obsessed, but he has stopped saying it ( since I obviously wasn't listening anyway), my mother doesn't mind me beeing into LOTR and my friends don't really care as long as I don't talk about it too much when I'm with them.
Adablaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 12:38
My parents aren't really into LotR very much, and neither are my friends. But I got one of my friends to watch the first movie with me, and now she's borrowing my very wrinkled copy of FotR to read. I just don't talk about it much with my friends. That's what these forums are for!
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 09:59
(Great TRUCKing aBotS!)

My parents like LotR, they're the ones who introduced me to it. My older brother also likes LotR, but he's not as obsessed as I am, he still has a normal life My younger brother just thinks I'm insane. Like really insane. He has just read the Hobbit and says LotR is too long and that I'm crazy because I read it :rolleyes:
My friends... well... one of them is a LotR freak, and the others are very, very careful not to mention words like ring, book, great movie and elf. I think that says enough.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 04:49
Well family and friends think I am to involved with COE and the book and movies. They think Tolkien is more for children and not adults,but it is my life.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 05:23
My friends think I am obsessed. I am.
They come to me to ask any question that comes up about Tolkien or is related to LOTR. I am a resource person.
Some of my family tolerates my fanaticism. My youngest son says I am nuts and now he has proof. Husband puts up with my adoration for a fictional character-Aragorn. Eldest son was the one who first told me of an obscure director who was filming LOTR in 3 films and doing it all at the same time. He sat through several opening nights in theatres in December. Cousin, who bought my beloved Aragorn standee for me, says that I need an intervention.
I feel a bit sorry for them if they don't have the delight and joy that I have when I am in the midst of Tolkien's world.

MT
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 02:56
Just call me uber-geek.
Calaquende
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 07:05
My mom and dad really enjoyed LOTR both book & the film, though there are no big fans & have only read LOTR and The Hobbit. I seem to be lucky because they have accepted my Tolkien-obsession and don't mind it at all . As for my current friends just one of them is a real fan, though not as concerned as me. We sometimes meet to play TCG or talk about Tolkien: no big deal, but what do we have this forum for!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 09:06
What do my freinds and family think? Um I haven't told anyone too much except for my BF who thinks I'm nuts anyway. The only other person who knows much about it is my 8 year old neice who has a serious Leggy crush and for whom I bought the hobbit and LOTR. However it is nice to know via this site that I am not alone - and even nicer being over 40 I have found lots of people my age and older who feel the same way - over at the fans over forty forum.

Regards

HT:heart:
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 01:27
Everyone just groans if I even mention LOTR. Enough said.
AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
on: October 29, 2005 04:46
Well, I could almost say what supermel did Anyone of my family isn't really into LotR; my sister has seen the movies and read the book but nothing more and parents hardly know what LotR is. If my dad sees me in CoE he comments "Oh, is that the orc-thingy again?"

My friends aren't any better and I think most of them think I should get help, when it comes to CoE. Maybe I should but I like being nuts
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: October 29, 2005 05:48
My parents and my brother and his family have seen LOTR and like it very much; but they feel it's time to 'move on'. They put up with my interest in it up to a certain point, but if they knew how much thought I really put into it....

No one I know is as obsessed with it as I am. Some friends of mine asked me once what my favorite book was. When I told them, I got an incredulous: "You're kidding!" I strongly suspect that they think it's for children. Therefore, I keep my obsession to myself, otherwise my family and friends would have me put in some kind of 'program'. Thank goodness for CoE!

Happy to be nuts...

[Edited on 29/10/2005 by LinweSingollo]
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Gwen_Mela_98
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 08:50
my dad read lotr when he was younger and has seen the movies but he's not all that into them. my mom is just like your watching it again?! how many times have you seen it? my sister just lieks the movies but my brother is only a little less obsessed than me. he reads the books and stuf to.
Peredhil_
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 04:45
My eldest brother introduced me to LOTR and we speak about it every few months, but he thinks I've dedicated a little too much to memory.

I mostly get the eye rolling from the very few people at work who have seen my AOME action figures on my desk & who have asked about them :rolleyes:

But I just gotta be me!!! :disco:
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 05:48
(wow... this thread is still here...I posted in this when it first was written, over a year ago...man things have changed...)

*A-hem* My obbsession stilll exists, my Dad now leaves me alone about it, a kid in my church tried to challenge my supreme LOTR geek-ness. He lost. Miserably. Do not toy with my and my Tolkien. You will lose. Roar. I am now in college, and my roomie just thinks I'm crazy (and she's not mistaken, not by a long shot)...man, it is good to be back!!
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2005 04:36
Do the words, "You're crazy" sound familiar?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 03:35
Yes, crazy sounds familiar. I don't know anyone who cares that much about LotR. My husband is a big Star Wars fan, so he understands my LotR obsession. On the other hand, our friends, my parents and siblings don't understand it. Our friends think we're strange (because we both collect). They think that our bedroom is our sons. My family is slowly learning to deal with it. My mother refused to buy me anything LotR related because "She will not buy a grown woman toys", but now she does. My sister makes fun of my for listening to the sound tracks and calls it elevator music. They just roll their eyes or change the subject when I say anything that has to do with Tolkien, so I don't bother anymore unless I feel like annoying them:evil: So for me too: Thank God for CoE.
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 03:35
So for me too: Thank God for CoE.

Here here!!!!! :cheers:

[Edited on 18/12/2005 by asleepingvision]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email