Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
TofuFishy
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: February 22, 2013 06:01
As proud as I want to be for adoring The Hobbit/LOTR, people make it really hard be anything but ashamed or embarrassed of it. Maybe it's because I talk about it too much but my friends find it annoying. They never said so to my face but sometimes their facial expressions or tone of voice lead me to believe they really just want me to shush. My family seems annoyed by it, too. The ones that aren't annoyed simply don't care but I think that's ok. They're nice enough to let me rant when I feel the need. I feel like strangers who don't also like LOTR label me as "weird" when I mention it.

I don't mind it, though. I feel put off by friends in this sense (and the feeling has only started after I got into LOTR so I'm sure it has everything to do with my new obsession) but I enjoy Tolkien's works and I'm not going to stop enjoying what makes me happy because it's not "normal" to like something like this to any extent past "oh cool." So whatever! Keep on truckin' everybody. You are more relevant to your interests than the person next to you is.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 06:55
they think i am evil. no joke! they think lotr is witch craft. so they judge me and are mean to be about it. i think it is kinda funny that they can say those things they do but they have never seen LOTR or read LOTR. it used to bother me, but not anymore.
kimmishrooms
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2013 03:54
Quote from TofuFishy on February 22, 2013, 16:01
As proud as I want to be for adoring The Hobbit/LOTR, people make it really hard be anything but ashamed or embarrassed of it. Maybe it's because I talk about it too much but my friends find it annoying. They never said so to my face but sometimes their facial expressions or tone of voice lead me to believe they really just want me to shush. My family seems annoyed by it, too. The ones that aren't annoyed simply don't care but I think that's ok. They're nice enough to let me rant when I feel the need. I feel like strangers who don't also like LOTR label me as "weird" when I mention it.

I don't mind it, though. I feel put off by friends in this sense (and the feeling has only started after I got into LOTR so I'm sure it has everything to do with my new obsession) but I enjoy Tolkien's works and I'm not going to stop enjoying what makes me happy because it's not "normal" to like something like this to any extent past "oh cool." So whatever! Keep on truckin' everybody. You are more relevant to your interests than the person next to you is.

You can always talk about it with me. I'm quite obsessed myself. When I took my friend to see the hobbit (she knows nothing when it comes to tolkien) I was so giddy and couldnt keep still. She told me "I've never seen this side of you before" (I was also dressed as a hobbit and was wearing the ring around my neck for emphasis).

Most people groan or try to change the topic when it comes to lotr.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2013 02:48
Well, at first my mom was quite upset that I wanted to watch a movie with "violence and blood" but she soon got over that. My dad didnt really care, but he will sometimes get frustrated if i go on about it. I have friends who have one parent who loves it and another who hates it, so I feel I am lucky
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 10:17
OMG! So I went to my friends church to hear this rapper named Health McNease. In one of his freestyle raps, he mentioned Lord of the Rings and his SMALL obsession with LotR. But we screamed in the crowed anyways! Later when we got to meet him, we started to go on and on about LotR and he just stared at us like we were idiots (cause we were) and walked away. Later, we were still talking and realized that he wasn't there anymore. Well, that was embarrassing. But we learned that we shouldn't share our amazement with people until we KNOW that they have the same obsession as us. Is that right findemaxam?
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 11:15
Do not let anyone make you feel embarassed or ashamed because you are Ringers. Most of my friends have different interests than I do but I still listen to them talk about sports or cars or games or whatever. My friends put up with me and my elf ears and now even one of them calls me Lindarielwen!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 09:09
Agreed we should be proud to be Ringers, but we all should at the very least understand and know that not everyone wants to hear about LOTR all of the time. Because I for one do no want to hear about sports all of the time! I think my eyes glaze over when I hear too much about them....

And NICE about your ears and the fact that one of your friends calls you Lindarielwen. I think I've got a few calling me Lastiel or Rusc or an additional name that I was given for Dagorhir 'shankabitch'. LOL!

Another thing if you are in desperate need for my LOTR nerds, or fantasy nerds get more information about Dagorhir, or Belegarth. Its midevil/fantasy boffer fighting and quite fun!
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 10:35
RINGERS RULE! that is what I say! i am proud of being a LotR fan! It is the best!
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 12:28
My family accepts it lol...since they are mostly all LOTR fans. I just recently bought a 2 disc Hobbit set! YEAH!
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Fable
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 12:18
Generally, since the majority of people I spend time with enjoy LOTR just as much as I do, it's very well accepted. My Mother herself even loves LOTR, although I don't think she shares the same passion for it as I.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 06:53
LegolasXXXXX and Fable, how lucky you are to have family and friends to share LotR with!
Legolas23, it is good that you, as well, have a friend close by to talk to about LotR.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 09:25
Well many of my family and friends have mixed feelings about LotR. I'm probably the one in my family that is the most "fanatical" about it. My 3 other siblings like it a lot, but only my little sister has taken interest in learning the Sindarin language. The rest of them like it a lot, but they don't care much about the back-story or languages or anything. They're content to mark it as a "really good, epic movie" and leave it at that. My dad is a huge fan as well, but has similar feelings as my aforementioned siblings My MOM on the other hand, absolutely HATES LotR, maybe because we talk about it a LOT. She considers it "Sci-Fi" and therefore not worth her time. She's not big on imagination or fantasy and thinks all of it is far-fetched. I wish she was a little more open-minded about it, because she's the one who still doesn't let us watch the trilogy, even though the youngest of us is 13.
Only several of my friends are Tolkien/LotR fans. I recently converted my twin friends and another friend to Tolkien-ism They wanted to watch LotR, simply because they never watched it. The twins (both girls) were determined not to watch it, and my friend Kayla started watching it alone. But a few minutes later, one of the twins, then both, wandered into the living room and had their eyes glued to the screen. They wouldn't let Kayla give the movies back to me until they had watched every bit of the bonus features on all of the appendices. Now they're officially fans! I have another really great friend who became a Tolkien fan through me a while back. She's on this site: Findemaxam48. She's probably the only person outside my immediate family that I can talk about hard-core Tolkien without strange looks!
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 01:31
yeah, totally!!!!!!! We are also attempting to learn Sindarin together, and are having...well, mixed results on how we're doing. Ah well.
Funny story...awhile back, there was a concert at my church, a small one with a relativly unknown performer. He asked onstage if anyone was a fan of LotR, to which lotrelessar, Rodwen, myself, and their two siblings flipped out at. So, after the show, he was standing around talking to people and I brought up LotR. The five of us started talking about it SO enthusiastically, but I think we creeped him out with a chilling Gollum imitation, becasue we turned around, and he was gone, although we had just been ingaging in a conversation with him. So. There you have it, a bunch of obsessed teenagers creeping out famous people with our love of LotR!!!!!!!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 02:18
All of my family likes LotR too. Although my mom still hasn't really watched all three movies...and my six-year-old brother hasn't either. But he knows a lot about it, thanks to playing Lego LotR, and hearing about it from my other little brother who has watched it. But my my youngest brother has seen The Hobbit, and I think he liked it.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 01:58
I have recently converted my 9 year old sister to loving LotR. WE watched the Hobbit twice in a row yesterday night. My parents were really mad I let her watch it, but it all worked out ok
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
people think im insane when they are just as obsessed with harry styles or 5sos. im labeled as weird and "socially inept" but i get over it by getting on CoE and seeing all these brilliant nerds who have more in common than anyone else.

[Edited on 10/14/2015 by Durin-The-Deathless]
basti
Council Member
Send Message
I'm surrounded with people who love Tolkien, so no problems here .
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Except for at most a handful of young women who work at my favorite bookstore, attempts at striking up a conversation about JRRT have pretty much been greeted by blank stares. Except for my comment about JRRT having the Hobbits reach adulthood at 33, and that he may be on to some deeper secret of our species, which is often responded to with affirmative, if resigned, nods.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
My parents and younger brother call the LotR film trilogy 'The Going Walking Trilogy'. That says everything when it comes to them. But my boyfriend accepts it and allows me to show my love for Tolkien's work, and has bought me most of my collection (as my mother decided I no longer needed my Tolkien books and donated them to my local library... I looked for them everywhere!) He has also allowed me to have a large parchment map of Middle-Earth put in pride-of-place on the bedroom wall. He does also ask questions about the Tolkienverse sometimes, which is nice. We also once had a long discussion about whether Sauron's 'goodness' could have been salvaged.

Aside from that, I don't know many people aside from some close friends who I can have indepth conversations with on Tolkien. Only two of them have read 'The Sil', and one texts back and forth with me in Sindarin. So I'm quite happy.

That and when it comes to Comic Con, I have a group of people who I go with. I am the resident Frodo (however I would love to put together a Second Age Elrond - armour too!)

[Edited on 11/13/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
IdhrenTelcontar
Council Member
Send Message
My family enjoys LOTR, but they aren't obsessed to the same degree as I am. Most of my friends haven't watched it or read it, but I invited them to my house for my birthday and made them watch FOTR. At some point I'll invite them over and make them watch the next two.
Sometimes I feel kind of alone is my Tolkien geekness and then I'll go on this website and remind myself that I'm not the only one who is totally obsessed.
Once I wore a cloak to school too. I'm very weird, and proud of it.
May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email