Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Luincamiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: July 01, 2003 01:36
I am the original LotR fan in my family. My one sisters friend got her into it and then my other sister got into it, probably because the two of us were into it. My mom thinks we are going to become one of those crazed lunatics and get so completely obsessed we'll... well, I don't know. Dad doesn't seem to care much. My brother always does stupid stuff like saying "Oh, you're watching THAT again?" and he goes around saying "My Precioussssss" And my oldest sister thinks we are obsessed, but then she is in love with Sam, so I don't know if her opinion has changed or not.
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2003 01:38
my parents don't understand it's my hobby. i read a lot and i finaly found an author i really, really like. i mean, i really don't talk about lotr on this site a lot. it's mostly like any other board. ya talk to people about the strangest stuff! well, not all of it's strange, but you get my point! the only lort thing i own is the fotr movie and soundtrack. i have to buy everything i want, and let's just say..............i don't have ANY money! but i'll get a job next summer cuz i'm only 15 and there's no good jobs around. and hopefully, i'll be able to get some stuff w/my own money. but what i really want is the one volume edition of lotr. ($35.00 ) o well, hopefully, i'll be able to make them see it's just a hobby! (and maybe i'll get some lotr stuff out of it............hehehehehehe....................:evil: j/k)
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2003 11:59
Walmart has a one volume edition for 14 bucks. Not sure if that's the one ya'll are talking about. It's paperback with a film still of Gandalf on it.

I hear ya about the 'no money' thing though
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 03, 2003 12:48
Although he has passed away now, my father is the one who got me started on it so he has only himself to blame --actually when I was growing up and gaga over the books my parents were great---they wanted all of us kids to be avid readers
When the movie came out they weren't suprised that I took to it so much--there are worse hobbies/habits to have
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2003 05:53
Yesterday, My father wanted to know what I was doing all the time on the computer.. And I showed him CoE! I let him read some of the forums, and one of my posts.. He didn't understand anything of it.. And he had no other choice than to Like it..
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2003 02:30
I don't get it! My dad claims to hate fantasy, but in the past two days, he's watched both Star Trek: First Contact, and Wild Wild West. Wouldn't those be considered in the sci-fi/fantasy genre?
numtelpion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2003 04:39
My parents are pretty tolerant of my LOTR habit, and my brother's as well. They read him The Hobbit and part of LOTR, and then he read them on his own...They drive us to Ring Games and even paid for my first TTT showing (the next 4 were out of my pocket, alas)
My mom is a little critical of certain things in Tolkien's work (she thinks its sexist and racist, and has too much violence), but she still thinks it's great literature and she loves the hobbits.
Annie
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2003 07:09
lol my parents hate it so much!!!! they are always annoying me, especially when the movie was on theaters here and i wanted to see it all the time lol.. they were like 'oh no, you are not gonna see THAT MOVIE again..'
lol
my sister used to hate lotr lol but i annoyed her so much that nowaydays she loves it too!
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2003 11:10
my parents think im scarily obsessed.
if i start talking about LOTR to them my mum goes "here we go more of that lord of the rings rubbish"
movie time. "i cant believe your wasting your money seeing that stupid movie AGAIN"
oh and when i asked for a replica of the one ring for christmas a week ago and showed it to my mum "what do you want that for?!?! its a boys ring you will look stupid"
and my sister when i said i want to were the ring on a silver chain "ugh! you cant mix silver with gold, it will look stupid and its bad luck any way"

i just tune right out. i fill my head with thoughts of legolas shield surfing or sam's speech towards the end of TTT
it helps!
Sharky
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 09:35
neeh.. nobody really knowS!! plus Im not THAT into everything.. just enjoy iT!!

when I star to get my Elvish clear and begin talking some of that.. that will rock!!!
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 12:41
see, my parents won't read tolkien's work. they aren't really big readers so they wonder where i get it from. but they haven't given it a chance either. i let my dad read some of the stuff on the forums just to show him we don't talk all about lotr all the time, and now he hates it even more!!! luckily i'm moving out in 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (*i graduate in '06)
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 12:43
see, my parents won't read tolkien's work. they aren't really big readers so they wonder where i get it from. but they haven't given it a chance either. i let my dad read some of the stuff on the forums just to show him we don't talk all about lotr all the time, and now he hates it even more!!! luckily i'm moving out in 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (*i graduate in '06)
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 01:22
At first my parents were thinking that this would be a part I'd just get through.. wouldn't last that long, they thought.. Perhaps something like my obsession with this comedy show who used to go on TV here..

But now, 18 months later, they're not so sure it's just a short part of life I have to go through
I've obsessed over this since I first heard of the first movie. The posters have been there that long, the books, the images around my room, the desktop and screensaver on my comp, drawings, writings.... They get reminded of my "short obsession" every time they want to talk to me, so to say, as I'm always in my room when they want something.

My mum freaked when she understood I was actually going to LA later this year for ROTK Dad took it easily, thank goodness, allthough he wasn't too happy either. Not that I care really, but..
They have stopped waisting time trying to talk me out of this, trying to get out of me what I'm doing on internet so many hours of night (I'm often here at 6am.. when I'm suposed to get up at 6.30..).
They actually leave me pretty much alone. Am I starting to act *that* much like Gollum?

You sound EXACTLY like me. I get introuble for my mock-swordfigting and archery, but my mom is a little understanding. She buys me Tolkein books and doesn't roll her eyes when I talk about it. She even will watch the DVDs with me once in a long while.
But my dad, he HATES it. We drug him to see TTT and since he won't let me talk, read or watch LotR in front of him.
My grandma is almost as obsessive as me and my brother (a big sci-fi freak) got his whole in-law family hooked on it.

I haven't told anyone about CoE, I was afraid that would be too much for them all. Really, you all are my second family and other home. :love: :heart:
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 01:49
Nazgoul7 and ALL of you guys with parents that don't approve or understand, just remind them that you could be out on the streets where there are drugs and alcohol around with less than desirable people. In here you are talking with intelligent people from all over the world...and take it from one parent, I sure wish the CoE was around when my kids were younger....I would have slept better at night knowing they were home on the computer.....
killjoy
Local Drunk, & Guru Swami Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 08:28
Hi all

You may have noticed that the name of this thread has been changed. This is because another thread very similar to this one was created, so i decided to merge the two to let everyone enjoy posting about what others in general think of their lotr obession, be they parents, neighbours, siblings, friends......whoever!
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 08:33
My neighbors have declared me insane :cry:
They give me odd looks when I swordfight the shrubbery and they yell out the window when they see me reciting LotR poetry as the sun rises. They've had enough of me hopping out of trees with my bow and arrows yelling "You breathe so loud I could've shot you in the dark" when they come in the yard. They tell my parents when I've had too much root bear and I sit in trees singing drinking songs. They think I'm strange to go barefoot in the winter. They don't talk to me because I've always mentioned LotR. They yell at me when I play the movies too loud. They run in their houses when I act like Gollum.

You could say the neighbors think I'm a freak. How 'bout yours?

[Edited on 14/7/2003 by killjoy]
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 08:35
well i my neighbors havent seen my at my worst!! LOL but people at church give me the strangest looks. also when my friends who come over and that arent that obbessed with lotr they look at my walls weirdly and they try to hurt the precious!!
I think one of my neighsbors know because he sees me and looks at me strangly. Im surprised that he hasnt told my parents about it! LOL

random known fact.
At church I am labled as the gollum of the church because i walk around like him and when someone play hits me i yell out NOOO PRECIOUS IT HURTS US!!!!!!!!! then creep away!
this one guy there looked at me being gollum and goes
"hey look its gollum You're gollum!" LOL
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 01:59
My neighbors used to look at me funny when I would leave home for a chairty event dressed up as a or Elf, Jedi or Klingon but now they know me and think that it is cool.
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 08:07
Nazgoul7 and ALL of you guys with parents that don't approve or understand, just remind them that you could be out on the streets where there are drugs and alcohol around with less than desirable people. In here you are talking with intelligent people from all over the world...and take it from one parent, I sure wish the CoE was around when my kids were younger....I would have slept better at night knowing they were home on the computer.....

hey! that's a good come back! i'll have to use that. everyone i know would prefer that my obsession be music because it's more "productive". so what? who gives a monkey poop *i use that instead of other words*?? i like tolkien in general and a lot of people just don't get how amazing his writting is. he wrote up a history of middle earth and created languages! his books aren't like the norm. they're something different and they just take you in and whisk you off to another world.
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 12:36
Ask your parents what hobby would they prefer that you guys do? It could easily be something that could cost them alot of money, vs. an internet bill. uh....skiing in Aspen, touring Europe......motorcross....
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 08:16
thanks emerita!!!! i will definitely use that one next time!
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2003 12:54
You are welcome....I realize that my suggestions may not be perfect, but I can safely say that I have been there and done that.
Legolas1228
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2003 08:28
Well for me, I've scared off just about every person I meet. I only have like 4 friends that like LOTR the rest are just, well it's not an appropriate word so I won't say it.
Mirielda
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 10:41
my family is not really aware of me beinf a lotr fan but my friend once told me to come back to real world and she feels like she has been loosing me a little bit more each day but it was after I watched the first movie of lotr. but I don't care about that girl actually I kinda hate her at the moment because she is a liar so scr** her!
AragornsLove22
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 06:58
Well, some of my closest friends ridicule me because of my obesession, but I won't go into that... And my mom and dad think I spend way to much time on the internet because of LOTR, but my arguement is that I am learning, so it shouldn't be a problem! heh. And my brother and sister dont really care, though if they did, it wouldn't be much of a problem. I am a great big sister, lol. And everyone else that I didn't mention just think that I am plainly crazy, which is nothing out of the ordinary for those that really know me well....
WoodlandGuard
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2003 12:13
When I was 5 and became comlpetely obbsessed with the animated hobbit movie, my parents thought "it'll stop, she'll be obbsessed with something completely different tommorow".
But then I started to read the hobbit, then LOTR, the the sil, then the books of lost tales........Now, 9 years later, im still obbsessed, and every time I start to talk about it, they just find some excuse to walk away......i can't imagine why.......
tani
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2003 02:17
Haha... nice to see I'm not alone! I think the best way to explain my family's reaction is to type up a conversation we had the other day

and it is cool because the guy at uni looks like Sean A!
oh really, which one is Sean A again?
Sam mum, the actor who plays Sam
Sam?
in LoTR... Sam you know he goes with Frodo to Mordor remember?
yes, I remember...
He is so loyal and it is sooooo cuuuute! Espcially the bit when the are going up Cirith Ungol... you know...
mmm...
and Frodo is alseep in him lap... and he is sooo happy
mmm...
don't you think that is cute!
yes, very cute
oh, an the end, at the Grey Havens... he is cute then too!
mmm...
don't you think?!
mmm...
You have no idea what I'm talking about do you?
no, but I am listening and trying very hard to understand.

My mum is so cute!!
Tinuviel_Twilight-Maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2003 02:52
My dad read the books as a college student, and my mom has read them before too. They both like the movies, and are glad I'm obssessed with something other then drugs, alcohol, sex, or violence! All of my friends from school and such think I'm completely insane, what with the fact that all I ever talk or think about if Lord of the Rings! They don't understand my obssession, but I continue to be the die-hard fanatic of the books and movies anyway. I hope I find a really hot guy sometime who's as obssessed as I am, that way I'd have SOMEONE in my life besides online to understand and share this huge obssession with!!!! lol
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2003 03:05
My parents dont really care as i said at school my friends think im crazy. I have my notebook and it has gollum on it and they look at me strange when i say that i like gollum!!!!! Im with you Tinuviel i want to find a guy that likes lotr as much as i do but i highly doubt they would like me! oh well
Master_Samwise_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2003 02:37
You know, most people don't care about my obsession for LotR. My parents complain sometimes about the fact that I'm always talkin' about LotR. And this teacher at school (Who's son is in my class) seems to think I can't think or do anything else than LotR...
mewantmypreciouss
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 02:55
My parents kinda think im strange for liking it. My mates think I'm totally insane, exept for one who loves LotR too. my work mates think im nutty. i once got asked if i was smoking what the hobbits smoke.. weed... lol

Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 03:31
You guys keep doing what you are doing and don't listen to your friends that think you are crazy. As far as I am concerned you are the healthy ones. In order to have a good grasp on reality, you need to have a healthy grasp on fantasy in order to tell the difference between the two. Middle Earth is a safe place to retreat to. You can come out and deal with reality when you need to. Alot of people don't have that in their lives and that is what makes them so angry. Take us and sport freaks. Do you ever see us rioting after a movie just because we don't like the ending????? Think about it...who is crazier there.....
falather
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 12:32
Well said, Emerita!

My family is generally good about it (my parents are fans, too, although not obsessed; my sister is every bit as obsessed as I am). My friends don't know how bad it is for the most part. They just think I'm slightly mad (quotes FotR "Young Mr. Frodo here, he's cracking!" "And proud of it!"), but put up with me anyway (they really are great friends!). I don't really bother to find out what the rest of the people at school think about me; I like me and my friends and family like me, and that's what's important.

[Edited on 1/9/2003 by falather]
Ivorwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 01:03
My husband (the Civil War reenactor) thinks my Tolkien obsession is stupid. But the rest of my family doesn't really care one way or the other.
ILoveHaldir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2003 07:07
My Dad got me to read the book
We got the books for for him
And He asked me if Iwanted to read them and I read them
I saw the first movie before I finshed the fisrt book.
My Sister likes it but not as much as me
My Mom says it's OK
One of my friends says it's stupid but Her mom will not let
her watch it she thinks it's evil
one of my friends like it.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email