Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
HobbitMaiden09
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: December 07, 2005 03:45
My whole family likes LOTR, but they,and my friends outside of school think that I am insane. They are probably right. They laugh at the fact that I study Sindarian, buy LOTR Burger King toys off of Ebay, and that I am not afraid to wear, outside of my home, a LOTR looking cloak (it looks very similar to the cloaks the Fellowship recieved in Lothlorien), that I had my mom make me. I plan on buying one of those leaf brooches the fellowship wears to go with it. My school friends aren't that big of fans of LOTR, so I usually don't talk about it with them, I am trying to convince some of them to watch the movies with me though. (some of them have never even heard of of LOTR!! :twitch: ) As far as I know, I am the only person in my entire school who is obsessed with LOTR.

[Edited on 8/12/2005 by HobbitMaiden09]

[Edited on 8/12/2005 by HobbitMaiden09]
Earla
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 09:49
In my family only I and my sister likes and have read LOTR (but i'm more obsessed about it than her though) The rest of my family my two brothers especially only roll their eyes at me when i mention something about LOTR*muttermutter* My mum and Dad are cool about it though As with several of you here my classmates are also very cautious to not mention ring,precious,elf,man,hobbit etc. Actually they don't say much at all...lol *kidding*
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 12:31
My parents - well I'll say they are semi-tolerant... everything up to a point they both like LOTR (the movies) and my Mum has read the book... however they do not understand my 'obsession'. Pretty much as long as my love for LOTR does not take away from school, chores, music, family, friends or work then they are okay with it Hehehe I've just finished school (one and a half months ago :disco::disco:) so I guess that one doesn't count. My Dad occasionally gets annoyed when he sees this site up so much (especially when I made the mistake of putting it as the homepage:naughty:)... and if he knew that I had assignments and I walked toward the computer he'd say 'That better be for study and not that Lord of Elrond site' to this day he cannot say the name of the site correctly:nono: ... I think what actually happpened is that when I was first looking for a good LOTR site I joined quite a few and another one i was on was Lord Of The Rings fanatics or something :dizzy: so he put the two site names together :dizzy:

My siblings ... well they all love it... one of my sisters is actually a member here as well -but she thinks I'm obsessed and that she herself is not:rolling:.

My friends... well I have one or two that will humour me in my ramblings but mostly they all just try and avoid the topic (though it took them almost a year to find out about my interest -just cause I kept it very quiet and still very few know the extent of my interest)
Deagol112LotR
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 10:40
My mom thinks its really funny when I start talking in my gollum voice at the most random moments (although it's not really good.... and can do the hairball thing very very well!) She said if she was sick, I should do that and it would make her laugh.
My dad doesn't understand why I like LotR. Whenever he watches parts of it (he has never seen the whole thing, it would make him fall asleep!) he asks the stupidest questions!
My friends just think I'm... obsessed...
But my one friend calls me hobbit and says that I daydream about them...

[Edited on 4/2/2006 by Deagol112LotR]
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 04:03
My parents don't have a problem with it, but lately they're starting to get annoyed with my obsession.
RohanGirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 04:00
My family is actually what got me into the whole LOTR kick, so obviously they're ok with it. My cousin and I talk LOTR and Star Wars for hours on end. It's great!

My friends here at school though, well that's a different story. None of them have any interest in it and they look at me cross-eyed at the mere mention of LOTR.
Krono
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 02:35
My parents never really get annoyed with my obsessions, so LotR is no different. They always put up with my weird-ness, whether it be anime, books, movies, or whatever it is. My Dad watches the movies with me a lot. He is always telling me to go read the books instead of going on the computer. My Mom has never watched the movies, except one time when I was watching FotR while she was in the room painting. She is nice about it and whenever we are in stores if she sees somethign with LotR on it she'll show it to me.

My sister thinks I'm weird. She's the kind who won't really read any books like that and obsess over them. I've taught her may random names of things, so sometimes if I talk about LotR she knows what I'm talking about. She gets all these weird magazines that have pictures of some of the actors from the movies, so she always gives me the pictures, which is a good thing.

My brother now like LotR too. He's only 7 though, so he can't really read any of the books, though he wants to read The Hobbit. I've let him play my video games and watch the movies with me, so he knows lots of the characters and stuff. We can talk about it.

My friends just think I am plain crazy. They always stare at the book I carry around and sigh. They say it's a good series, but nothing to obsess over. They avoid talkign about it for some reason... I did get my friend Erica to read the FotR though!

[Edited on 16/1/2006 by Krono]
Adeles
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 04:53
well... many of my friends are obsessed with something, so they dont think theres anything wrong with it.. plus most of them like lotr too... or some part of it anyhow...

heres some examples of obsessions... if you want to check it out... http://freeibboard.com/forums/index.php?mforum=adeles&
Lithornien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2006 07:29
None of my friends are really into it, so I can only imagine what their reactions would be. Really only two of them know anything about my obesession with it (best friend and cousin). Anybody else I would just bore to death talking about it. Hehe. But anyways, my best friend just smiles and laughs anytime I talk about LotR. She likes the movies, too, but there's no way her interest in them comes close to obsession. My cousin will humor me and talk with me about it, although she's more of a Harry Potter fan herself.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 09:03
Hi.

Sometime my friends think I'm a little weird. I do have friends that I can talk to about LOTR. At least I don't feel out of place.

Some of my friends think I'm obsessed. That's the way I like it. I find that this is the only place I can get away to. It relaxes the senses.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 06:58
Wierd? That sounds like me. I have two obsessions Angels and Elves...
I don't tell Dad about either one...if he saw what I wear every day he'd have a fit.
Now Silverleaf [my husband] doesn't have an obsession with Elves but he does
have three different recipies for Lambas. [they are family recipies or so I have been told]...
Then again his boys have pointed ears and a service imperative that doesn't
quit and I know that Silverleaf had his ears rounded when he went to
highschool in the 1950's...
Santa Cruz was not a good place for elves then or now.
I suppose I should have more patience with non-Lotr fans... I've a problem with their dismissing me as a poor street person before they even know me... too much Elven leather clothing for their tastes...
Like I could have to many Elven things?
Sigh I'm obsessed for sure! Happily so...

luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 12:29
My friends and I always make fun of people who like fantasy and such, but they joke about my obsession. I guess they understand. :love:
GOLOTR
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 10:13
Oh boy! My mom thinks im insane! my friends groan and complain if i say one thing about LOTR they're like "oh my word, you are so obsessed. you need to chill and find something else" it makes me sad that no one but my cousin and you guys support my LOTr obsession!
hathod
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 09:43
Man it has been quite sometime since I have been on this site, and I am glad to be back. Anyway back to the topic. My parents don't mind my interest in LOTR. Now I say interest instead of obsession, since I can go awhile without LOTR and not have withdraw. I do not find myself quoting lines in place of everyday speech. I am going off topic again. My dad has actually read all the books and seen the movies. My mom has seen the movies and never really read the books but she does not not like them. My younger brother who is 2 yrs younger than me, has also read the books and watched the movies. My older brother who is 6 yrs my elder has seen the movies but he is not a reader. So actually my family overall likes LOTR. My friends is similar. There are some whole love it like me, and some who find it weird. They usually tell how much of a nerd I am, and I just tell them that I really do not care. That sums it up.
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 12:03
My parents crinkle their noses at it. Boy you should hear the things people say to me in school about it.

One day I walked into a classroom to take a test and one of the kids shouted "Hey Mr. williams you have a visitor from Rivendale" (Yes Rivendale)
But I don't mind it. I have a few friends who are just as obsessed as me.
Captain_General_Boromir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 04:43
People sometimes wonder....

But the way I see it...were not obsessed, THEY are just in denial.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2006 09:12
Oh Captain I do like your attitude! it never occured to me but your right... They've seen the films but they don't admit to what they experienced.

Kind of like walking to work with a newspsper in your face, you don't see
the people around you even when they smile and say hello!
Gam-gam
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 06:14
I have watched the Rankin-Bass cartoons since I was little, thanks to my dad, and he read to me from the books a little. I remember using Bilbo as my person when we play 20 questions and trying to teach the kids in daycare with me the songs from the cartoons. :rolleyes:
Anyways, I read the books in 5th grade and the movies came out the following year and that threw me into the whole internet/movie/fanfic stuff.
My dad still loves the stories and so he doesn't really care - he thinks my friends and I are a bit weird sometimes, but then, so is he
My mum doesn't really know that much about the stories; I'm constantly reminding her who people/actors are.
So, it's pretty okay. Now, other people, as in non-lotr friends and kids at school ... they think that me and my lotr clan are pretty weird and crazy - well, we are, but they think LotR in general is weird, too.
Thoniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 08:29
my friends are scared of me my family is scared of me and my dog is scared of me..thats what people think of my LOTR obession
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2006 12:02
thoniel, what happened to your dog?
Was the canine always shy of you or did it come about quickly?

As for me I think both Silverleaf and timberwolf are attempting to
catch up with me as far as getting into LOTR...
And for getting Lotr into the everyday world of Men and Elves...

LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 06:18
i use to be obsessed with LotR. my lil bro was so annoyed by it, he started to make fun of haldir saying that he is stupid and ugly. I threw a pillow at him
DimpleToadfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2006 06:28
My husband is more of a LOTR nut than me, but he won't admit it. Every time he goes out of town on tour, I try to get through the entire trilogy, or watch all the Design making of stuff I can. I can't seem to get enough!
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2006 06:45
Aha Silverleaf is the same way... shy about LoTR,
but get him in a large group of LoTR fans and he is as happy as a clam...
His Elven side really shows then...

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2007 02:22
I think some people think I'm crazy and get annoyed, while other think of me as the LotR source that they can always come to in case of need.

I do call my self Elf many times, sometimes Nethwen, and then I am the Elf named Jillybean by most of my friends, so as you can see, I have an Elven reputation.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2007 02:08
My cousin thinks I'm a total geek. I used to talk about LotR incessantly and she would just shake her head and laugh every single time I merely mentioned "Frodo" or "Return of the King" or "Peter Jackson." Once I made the mistake of telling her all about CoE and the different things you could earn by submitting to the site and earning points. The next Christmas she told me that she seriously thought about about printing off the CoE logo, gluing it to a refrigerator magnet, wrapping it up and giving it to me for Christmas so I, "wouldn't have to go to all the trouble of earning all those points." It was absolutely hilarious. My cousin was pretty brutal sometimes. Eventually, I learned not to talk about LotR around her anymore.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2007 02:20
lol, it';s hard when your relatives don't understand. I am in the same boat with you Fealome et:
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What do others think about your obsession with LotR?
on: December 05, 2012 11:58
Oh...that I'm weird and that I need to 'grow up'. That's the most basic response that I get from them. /shrug But I'm happy with who I am and that I can be 'grown up' when I need to be. But my love of LoTR is part of me and they need to get over that.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 07:56
I am considered a serious Tolkien geek by those at work, but I don't care. They all just knew I was going to go see the Hobbit! Gee, really? LOL... my husband humors me, my son and daughter somewhat share my geekiness. Oh let's face it, I have a family of geeks and proud of it! We love LoTR and fantasy in general.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 11:32
My family tolerates and patronizes me. My son likes Tolkien and introduced me to him so he understands me some what and so do the grandkds.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 06:06
My daughter is happily guilty about my obsession, she is the one who introduced me to that wonderful world(which I think is real...in my head anyway)And for my husband he just doesn't get it, for him it is just another movie with swords and why on earth do I bother to read the books every year.I'm not talking about it anymore with him,he is a lost cause.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2012 09:12
I no longer discuss LOTR with anyone anymore. There is no point in it. (You're wearing THAT to see The Hobbit?) I will happily stay in my little world all by myself unless I am here on the Council of Elrond.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 12:31
Quote from Lindarielwen on December 28, 2012, 19:12
I no longer discuss LOTR with anyone anymore. There is no point in it. (You're wearing THAT to see The Hobbit?) I will happily stay in my little world all by myself unless I am here on the Council of Elrond.

I totally agree. No one understands or really cares, I suppose. And when you have something that is precious to you, you only want to share it with someone else, to whom it is precious, as well. Lol, I think I said that right! ♥
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 08:22
I agree most if the time people just hear " blah blah blah" but I also think that if someone loves you they should love all of you wholeheartedly For me that means lotr.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 12:10
Hey! While all my family hears when I talk about LoTR is the same for me when they start talking about football! Just blahblahblah. ^.^ At least I think they somewhat understand that I don't care about the sportsball as long as I know that they don't care about my obsession.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
HistoryRepeating
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 01:31
I've learned to keep relatively quiet about this particular obsession. Well, my daughter seems to be a budding 'fan girl', so she likes to talk about hobbits, elves and dwarves, but other than that, no one I know is really that interested. And plenty of people already look at me funny because of my *other* obsession... So I'm keeping this one quiet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email