Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: OOC for Conquering Helcaraxë (KEEP)
on: June 19, 2007 02:43
Rilnen will be more than willing to help Elerosse, sorry about confusing the name, I'll fix it.

Alas, I think Rilnen has become fond of Elerosse as well, Erumelmo, lol! well, what ever you have planned.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 01:25
"Redound"? Really? I never heard of the word before this. Well, this just goes to show that one does really learn something new everyday. I checked the dictionary meaning and here it is:

re·dound (rĭ-dound') pronunciation
intr.v., -dound·ed, -dound·ing, -dounds.

1. To have an effect or consequence: deeds that redound to one's discredit.
2. To return; recoil: Glory redounds upon the brave.
3. To contribute; accrue.

Thanks, Iri.

As regards Elerossë, well, I am afraid I made up my mind about him a long time ago. Only after he passes away does Elnaira completely realises her folly in following Fanuiamarth and regrets her decision to leave Valinor - thus falling into depression and then - well - it's mentioned in the respective profiles.

So I am trying to give as much scope for his character as is possible within this thread... If you guys have checked out Erumelmo's profile, you will notice that one thing led to another and practically his whole family has been catalogued. :blush: It happens with me quite often - get entirely carried away. :rolleyes:

So, the thread is shaping up pretty well... Though I have one question which has been confusing me. And this is thrown open to anyone who has the answer:

QUESTION:

I just received "The Atlas of Middle-Earth" and beneath the "Flight of the Noldor" map - here is written:

"Fingolfin's host, angered by the desertion, braved the Grinding Ice floes. Weeks may have passed before they touched the solid ground of Middle-earth whith the rising of the moon."

Weeks?

But in the Timeline of Arda, I get this breakup of time:

YEARS OF THE TREES: [given in Valian years]

# 1495 Morgoth destroys the Two Trees. First Kinslaying at Alqualondë
# 1496 Doom of Mandos
# 1497 Fëanor and sons enters Beleriand. Death of Denethor. Burning of the ships at Losgar, death of Amras
# 1498 Dagor-nuin-Giliath ("Battle Under the Stars"), death of Fëanor, Maedhros captured
# 1499 Maedhros imprisoned upon Thangorodrim
# 1500 Creation of Moon and Sun. Host of Noldor enter Beleriand under Fingolfin. Battle of the Lammoth, death of Argon

So accordingly, if my calculations are correct, a valinorean year is about 9.5 sun-years, so the march of the noldor is about 50 years, as much as 30 years spent crossing the Helcaraxë.

30 years??? Can anyone help and let me know if my summations are right?

MORE RESEARCH ON WHETHER ELVES FELT THE COLD: Picked from a forum on OneRing.net

Yes, Elves do feel the cold, but perhaps they may not get cold the way mortals do. Helcaraxe was one place where the Elves succumbed to the cold. Elves are certainly more resistant to cold than mortals are the same way they defy sleep and nutritional patterns. The reason may be that, as the First Kindred endowed with qualities that surpass the Second Kindred (ie mortals), they are more in tune with their habitat and their own physical capabilities and are able to attain higher levels of adaptation.
Since we do know the climates of Lorien and Rivendell were influenced by secondary forces, I guess that Elves, although they don't mind the cold, would prefer mild weather!
==============================================

Hmm, perhaps elves could eventually die of cold, thirst, or hunger, but it would take longer than for humans, maybe proportional to the lifespan? Just a thought.

Regarding the Helcaraxe, I don't believe Tolkien ever said exactly what the elves on this journey died from. Was it the cold? Starvation because there was no food source near and they ran out of provisions? Monsters? We do know that elves are not subject to disease the same way mortals are.

There are a few references to the Helcaraxe in HoME, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything significant that comments on this. Pretty much all it says in Sil is that "Few of the deeds of the Noldor thereafter surpassed that desperate crossing in hardihood or woe." And we know that many of them perished including Elenwe, but saying they died of cold is only an assumption unless it is stated somewhere else that I am overlooking. If I had to guess, I'd say that cold was probably at least a signficant factor in the deaths that occurred during the crossing.

I would agree that while elves probaby can endure the cold better than mortals, they are not immune to it.
=============================================

There are a few references to the Helcaraxe in HoME, (...)Pretty much all it says in Sil is that "Few of the deeds of the Noldor thereafter surpassed that desperate crossing in hardihood or woe." And we know that many of them perished including Elenwe, but saying they died of cold is only an assumption unless it is stated somewhere else that I am overlooking. If I had to guess, I'd say that cold was probably at least a signficant factor in the deaths that occurred during the crossing.

HOME XII tells us:

Elenwë her mother had no Sindarin name, for she never reached Beleriand. She perished in the crossing of the Ice; and Turgon was therefore unappeasable in his enmity for Fëanor and his sons. He had himself come near to death in the bitter waters when he attempted to save her and his daughter Itaril, [Idril] whom the breaking of treacherous ice had cast into the cruel sea. Itaril he had saved; but the body of Elenwë was covered in fallen ice.

'The Shibboleth of Fëanor', The Peoples of Middle-earth, HOME XII Pg 345-346

So Elenwë was drowned or crushed by falling ice. The Helcaraxë is translated as 'Ice Fangs' and is also called 'The Grinding Ice'. While bitterly cold, the greatest peril was related to the unstable nature of the ice. The pack ice over which the Noldor crossed would have been treacherous and unstable, prone to giving way and tilting, throwing the Elves into the sea then closing above their heads. I imagine deaths would be from falls into crevasses, drowning, crush injuries from collapsing ice and perhaps attacks by Polar bears and killer whales. While the Elves would not be impervious to cold, I doubt that they would have died from it- unlike humans who would not survive immersion in the frigid waters, as did both Turgon and Idril.

Edit: Further reading suggests that Elves can die of cold, although they are more resistant to its effects than Men [and see my first 2004 post].

Then Tuor said to Voronwë: 'Fell is this frost, and death draws near to me, if not to you.' For they were now in evil case: it was long since they had found any food in the wild, and the waybread was dwindling; and they were cold and weary. 'Ill is it to be trapped between the Doom of the Valar and the Malice of the Enemy,' said Voronwë. 'Have I escaped the mouths of the sea but to lie under the snow?'

[...]

'I counted myself the hardiest of Men,' said Tuor, 'and I have endured many winters' woe in the mountains; but I had a cave at my back and fire then, and I doubt now my strength to go much further thus hungry through the fell weather. But let us go on as far as we may before hope fails.'

'No other choice have we,' said Voronwë, 'unless it be to lay us down here and seek the snow-sleep.'

'Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin', Unfinished Tales Pg 38-39

Thus dying in the snow of hypothermia (the 'snow-sleep' ) is not unknown to the elves.

=======================================

"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 02:18
Ok, so my "draught" against the cold, which is actually some type of brandy, is appropriate and fitting to the story. Just so y'all know, I'm not going to be home for almost two weeks starting monday, so don't expect me to be able to post. I suggest you just carry on with the story and I'll get back to it as soon as i can.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 02:25
All right, Turin.

And, yes, the "draught" is a good idea.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 06:29
hm, I've been pretty stumped about how long they spent on Helcaraxë as well.

I came across this artical and it seemed to address some questions, but doesn't really solve the problem here.

http://tolkien.cro.net/mearth/chronofa.html

Either way we have to remember that however long it took for Fingolfin's host to cross Helcaraxë, Maedhros is captured and is hanging from a cliff.... I don't see how he could have been hanging there for thirty years...

I'm not really aiding much in your questions, but I am trying to find some answers. We might end up having to draw up our own conclusions on this matter.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2007 09:42
Yes, Iri, I did read about Maedhros hanging on the cliffs from his hand for a long number of years - around 33 I think. and that stumped me too! hanging from his wrist for THIRTY years?????
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 09:08
Even if he is an elf, his wrist would certainly break after thirty years...man..ouch.

My plans are that Mithwen is probably going to succumb to the cold, because she is already fairly weak and she really had no wish to leave.

oh, and thanks for all the information...I feel terrible, I'm not good atg contributing information I promise next time a subject comes up I'll research into it!
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 12:44
I was discussing the issue of time with Bereth on MSN and Iri's suggestion of making allowances for the grey areas of the timeline by making our own seems valid.

But just to be clear once more on Wikipedia this is the Timeline: (For consistency, in wikipedia, the dates below are given in Valian Years.)

# 4996 - Prophecy of Mandos: the Noldor are banished from Valinor and face great doom.
# 4997 - Melkor returns to Angband, and tries to take Beleriand: First Battle of Beleriand is fought; Denethor of the Green-elves slain and the Havens of the Falas are besieged. The Noldor arrive at Helcaraxë; Fëanor and his host betray the sons of Indis and sail across, then burn the ships. Return of the Noldor to Middle-earth. Morgoth's army attacks Fëanor. Dagor-nuin-Giliath ("the Battle under Stars") is fought. Fëanor is slain by Balrogs in sight of Angband. Maedhros taken captive.
# The Valar hide Valinor behind the Enchanted Isles and raise the Pelóri mountains; they begin devising the Moon and Sun.
# 5000 - The remainder of the Noldor arrives in Middle-earth; the Moon arises.

And on the Tolkien Gateway:

# 1496 Doom of Mandos
# 1497 Fëanor and sons enters Beleriand. Death of Denethor. Burning of the ships at Losgar, death of Amras
# 1498 Dagor-nuin-Giliath ("Battle Under the Stars"), death of Fëanor, Maedhros captured
# 1499 Maedhros imprisoned upon Thangorodrim
# 1500 Creation of Moon and Sun. Host of Noldor enter Beleriand under Fingolfin. Battle of the Lammoth, death of Argon

Both are similar and frankly, the time spent from the burning of the ships at Losgar to when Fingolfin arrives onto Middle-Earth is estimated at approximately 3 Valian Years. (Each Valian Year = 9.58 Solar Years).

So even if we take that Fingolfin "wandered" (from Araman to the borders of Helcaraxe) with the host to try and find an alternative route for 2 years, we are left with one Valian year in which he journeyed over Helcaraxe.

Also we know that from the time of the Prophecy of Mandos to when Feanor reached Losgar, it was the period of one Valian year, by that account, and from the MAP that I am posting along with this message, the journey over Helcaraxe would be shorter but considerably more difficult. But I shall say we can at least cut the time down to HALF a Valian year until the reach the plains of Lammoth!

But ONE Valian year = 9.58 Solar Years, so the journey over Helcaraxe would take the Host nearly FIVE solar years.

So we are in for a long journey over Helcaraxe.

Please see the Map below for a better understanding of the distances covered by the ships taken by Feanor and the journey over Helcaraxe taken by Fingolfin.

Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 02:30
lol I have that map on my wall currently ^^ I'm such a nerd, anyways,

I'm glad you were able to reach a solution. I have one question, that isn't really that important but would help my visual outlook a lot.

With the trees destroyed, and the sun and moon not created yet, what kind of light is our host traveling through?
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 03:45
Nope, you are not a nerd. That's a connotation that I refuse to associate brilliant people with - ironically, that's what I used to be called in school too - just coz I preferred books over Phys. Ed.!

Anyhow back to the topic:
There is no light that is left after the trees are destroyed. The world is plunged into perpetual twilight. That is why throughout the thread I have mentioned that there are just dark skies and sometimes slashes of indigo and orange running through them. Though we can play around with "Northern Lights", since they are so far up near the poles, and of course, there is always starlight when the clouds haven't covered them.

Use lots of Stars!!

[Edited on 27/6/2007 by Erumelmo]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2007 02:21
Well, hello again.

Regarding the cart that Elerosse needs to be put on - Rauron can make it from extra bows that he can borrow and swords that are not in use. Straps of leather that are used to tie the swords, sheaths etc.

As for the surgery, I think Iri has researched it, and I am waiting to see her post, it shall be quite a read!

Though I mean for Elerosse to live through the surgery, and get better as well in due course of time, but die after getting back to health. That comes as greater irony within the story.

Er, hope I am not giving too much away, but I just think the writers of the thread ought to know what I have in mind regarding Rosse.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 12:37
Erumelmo, your latest post should have the quenya names of Fingolfin, Finarfin and what not. Figured you might want to know.

my post is coming soon, a lot of things have come up, and I have a bit more research to do, but don't loose faith in me lol

[Edited on 3/7/2007 by Iri]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 03:20
okay, thanks for letting me know Erumelmo. I wasn't sure what I was going to use. I like the idea of his death, Erumelmo. Mithwen is probably going to die in a little while, after they get along a little more.

I can't wait to read your post Iri, I'm sure it'll be wonderful.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 04:16
Thank you, Iri. Yes, I do want to know and I have corrected the names from Sindarin to Quenya. It was a long post and by the time I went through the second draft it was early in the morning and I was beat!

Will go through your post right away. A read now and then once again tomorrow!

First reading done! Well done, Iri! I liked it. Will surely work on my post, even as I put myself to bed now will be thinking of a few dialogues.

A few quick things to mention:

=> Do remember that they are now on Helcaraxe. Will write about the imagery in the post I send in later in the day.

=> Also there will not be any dung, because as I did mention to Taurohtar, I do not think that there were animals with the Noldor. None would have survived the ice, so in keeping with emotion, the Noldor would not bring helpless animals with them...

=> the shelter, it will be essentially made of a tent - Erumelmo will ask Rauron to get one from Artanis. But do remember the winds will be fierce and the tent can be held down by the weight of people and bows used for the poles within... Let me think on it.

Overall, the post was quite good.

[Edited on 4/7/2007 by Erumelmo]
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 05:19
okay, I was kinda guessing what I original post would be more of a base of what will happen and lots of editing would happen later.

I will go ahead and edit the dung part, I was having trouble trying to figure out what they would use to offer a small fire, other than constant using of all the wood, but then I realize it really isn't that big of deal to use wood lol I try to be too technical sometimes. Overthink things I gues you could say.

The shelter I was pretty much hoping you would explain more on, I was at a lost as to where the actual surgery would take place. I was picture more of a tent that they would make similar to the tipi's indians used, roomy, yet efficient using skins, but I don't imagine they have many skins...blah blah I could go on and on, so I will just let Erumelmo handle this one lol

lol it struck me funny after reading both your post about how casually we are discussing the death of our characters.

oh btw, Liantasse is also going to kick the bucket.

lol it made me laugh a little

[Edited on 4/7/2007 by Iri]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 01:50
Hey all.
Just wanted to tell you guys that things have been a bit hectic here - dad was admitted to the hospital after a fall which injured his right side.
I shall have the post as soon as possible - have to work on it a bit more.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 11:51
Don't worry too much about Erumelmo, we understand.
I've been rather busy myself with a lot of things. I'll post once you have.

Great post by the way Iri. I didn't mind that you used Rilnen, you had to after all. I think you did good with her.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 12:05
Ah, worked on the post through today, Elfmaiden. I am done. Please check and see if it is good... my posts get a trifle too long, I know. But I love to put in descriptions of the place where the characters go...

Which brings me to this:

My post on 15/7/2007 at 02:56 AM - has to be recorded, because I have mentioned in rough summation in the introduction of the said post as to what Helcaraxe could look like.

I have also thought about the place and I feel that the Tundra regions of our world could be equated with Helcaraxe - the greatest difference would be the "grinding, shifting" part of it. Therefore I have mentioned that the centre of it would be the most dangerous.

I have also put in the phenomenon of the Aurora - or the Northern Lights - within the scope of imagination. Because I for one cannot imagine a journey in the bitter dark.

I think we can also use animals near the borders of Helcaraxe. And of course, in the centre, the prevalence of seals. What do you guys think about eating things raw? like the kidneys of animals, for eg. Since making a fire on the ice would be next to impossible.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 02:38
Hey everyone, I just got back not too long ago and I've been too busy to get on, but I'm back.

As for the eating things raw, you wouldn't need to because oil extracted from the blubber of artic animals and whales burns very nicely and although it probably wouldn't taste good, it'd work.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 02:45
Hey, Turin,

Welcome back! Well, I have already written a post with your charrie and Elnaira a while back. So feel free to write in about the other side of the host, whenever you can and I shall write back with Elnaira's feeback.

Though of course, I am thinking of Elnaira paying a visit to the other side of the host for a day at least - since she is - after all - worried about Elerosse. Since he cannot travel, she will have to span the host to ask after him...

The idea about the blubber: super! I didn't think of that.

And an aside: If anyone wants to know who murdered the young elf. I'll give you one guess.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 06:50
Might the murderer be the elf, Hendalacon?

glad to see you back Turin.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 10:12
Yes, Elfmaiden. Hehehe.

But he cannot be found out during the crossing, since he has to escape over Hithlum and meet up with Caranthir.

Iri, your post was lovely! Brilliant actually! Kudos. Arquen is evolving!

Elfmaiden, try and show us a little more about Mithwen. Her character is very vague, give her more substance, would like to see what her thoughts are all about.

edited later:
Hey, Elfmaiden, just read your last post. Yes, that is what I was meaning - as regards to Mithwen. Good post. Though two things: please use the proper accents on the Proper Nouns, and secondly, where did Rauron's family get a tent from? Do you mean the small shelter built for Elerosse?

[Edited on 15/7/2007 by Erumelmo]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 10:32
I will do that. I'll start working on a post with her in it. Giving a little more history and maybe a flash back to what happened during the kinslaying the loss of Ciryan.

yes, the tent he spoke of was the one Elerosse was in.
I will try and figure out how to use the accents. I'm using a lap top right now and it's different than my computer.

[Edited on 15/7/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2007 12:02
I'm sorry guys, but I shall once again be gone, this time for a week. So, just continue on with the rp.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2007 02:36
Oh, I just finished a post with Elnaira and Taurohtar.
No matter, we can catch up as Iri and Elfmaiden will write in their posts as well. And I can carry on with Erumelmo's side of the host.

Also, Turin, I don't think the elves had tents to put up on Helcaraxe. Rough makeshift tents are feasible as props against the outcrops of rock and ice, because:
1. I do not think the elves would have packed a majority of tents
2. the wind on the open landscape would not allow tents to stand on their own.

Iri , one change in your post please, the murderer - as I see it - stabbed the elf in the middle of a crowd. They have fought over furs a few minutes before the killing. The murderer stabs the elf in a surprise attack. So Arquen can see the murderer just as he stabs him and sets off to flee - but probably bangs against Arquen and she sees his eyes and then as he disappears sees the wounded elf fall and die and thus know that the one she banged against was the murderer.

A fight and then a stabbing would allow a lot of other elves to see who it is and nab the guilty one.

Also, I have given speech to Rauron and Liantasse in my last post, if that is a problem with you, Elfmaiden, or you, Iri, I shall have no problem in editing my post.

On an aside: I had asked a couple of people to join our thread recently, and out of the two, Nelenata has agreed to do so. Though she is going to be away for the next few days she has asked if she can join in when she returns. I have told her to join whenever she can. Her writing skill can be seen at Forum Post: Arnor's Rebirth

[Edited on 23/7/2007 by Erumelmo]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2007 03:11
I'll be completely finished with my post tomorrow. Adding a couple more details now that I've seen what you've written Erumelmo.

Hey guys, I just forgot to add this bit in, but Mithwen will most likely die in one of my next posts...I'm still sort of working up to it.
I'm not positive on how she is going to die, I'm sort of testing a few ideas and writing them down, but before I post it I'll let you see it, Erumelmo, so you can tell me if it works or not.

[Edited on 24/7/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 03:12
Perfectly fine with me, Elfmaiden. Though remember, the tricky parts of the ice will come in the centre of the journey.

There is always the sea. I was thinking that they would have to do some climbing as well, since the entire patch of Helcaraxe would not necessarily be at sea level. So there'll be cliffs falling off into the sea.

I shall let Elerosse recover completely and his death shall occur somewhere in the middle of the journey - and yes, it will either be in an ice shift - or a fall of a cliff.

We can also perhaps co-ordinate the events of their deaths together. (I am sounding pretty cold-blooded right now - I know! Iri was right, talking about the killing of a character is quite unnerving!)

I have also been thinking about time leaps. Since we have settled for the duration of the journey to be ONE YEAR (if anyone has any objection please voice it now), I thought that we could take time leaps.
For eg: a leap of one week, or a fortnight. But it would have to be coordinated.

It was a few days later, he saw... OR What seemed like a week later, Erumelmo found himself walking...

So I shall let everyone know here on the OOC that I am planning a time leap in my next post. So that the others can tell me if they are ready to do that with their characters and situations as well.

[Edited on 25/7/2007 by Erumelmo]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 04:18
sounds good to me Erumelmo. I have no objections to a year through the Helcaraxe.

If you want to coordinate the deaths of our characters together, would that be when they come to the the middle of the journey? I was thinking that Mithwen would fall somewhere, but I don't want to be copying anyone elses idea, unless you don't mind.

But I'm still not exactly sure what'll be happening with her...sort of experimenting with different ideas.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 02:09
a year sounds a sufficient amount.

I was actually hoping time leaps will be added ^.^

and Erumelmo, if you would begin to think about a second run in between Arquen and the said killer that would give me more to work upon that situation and Arquen's character.

speaking of death... I will leave Liantassë's demise a mystery for now lol. I want to broaden more on her character before I kill her for good, I so enjoy playing her
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2007 05:44
Ok, I got back today and am extremely tired.

As for the tents subject, it isn't that hard to keep a tent up in the wind. All you need are long stakes attached to the tents by taught-line hitches. One time I went camping a a military tent that you have to support with rope and it stood through heavy gusts.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2007 01:25
Then since all are agreed, we can have a time leap soon enough. Because we go back on the move, after the Council takes place. The Council basically is taking place because I wanted to introduce Elnaira to Ture, who later weds her. Also I wanted to include all the major Tolkien characters once at least all together.

I'll use the Sindarin names here:
Fingolfin and his children, and Turgon's wife.
Galadriel and her brothers.

I was thinking of asking some people [out of our circle] to write in - making guest appearances of sorts - for Aredhel, Argon, Finrod, Edellos, and Orodreth.

Can we have suggestions on what the Council will debate on. I am sure you have your own questions, we can incorporate those in our posts.

I actually have already thought of how Elerosse will die. He goes to save Elenwe, who is a cousin of Erumelmo, Elerosse and Elnaira. And thereby, kin to Turgon. But they both perish.

Elfmaiden, Rauron could help here - because I feel that as Elerosse's health begins to mend, he becomes good friends with Rauron. Rauron cannot truly befriend Erumelmo, because such is Erumelmo's character - he is kind but also the one who leads so there is always a formality present - but Elerosse has no such burden to bear so he can be free with most people. Let me know if this idea is suitable.

Iri, Altaha is now on the other side of the host, so if I am bringing him back, I shall let you know. I have come to really like Liantasse, by the way.

Turin, I am not worried about how the tents shall stay up in the wind, but I am worried about where does the material for the tent come in...remember Fingolfin's host was stranded. But let me just decide if we let them have tents of some sort.

If we do decide to let them have tents, please tell me what kind, and whether each family has one. Let's decide on this then.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2007 09:43
Ok, well decide then. If you have any questions about survival type deals, ask me. If I don't know I can find out. Just for thought, the elves wouldn't have left their homes unprepared for life on the road.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2007 01:25
Yep, you are right. Okay. Then we can let the elves have tents of some sort. Though they won't be stopping much...since they want to cross Helcaraxe as soon as possible.

At the council let them decide how long they should walk each time before taking a break. They are Elves after all, so their endurance is heightened.

And let's decide who has the tents.
Erumelmo has given the family's tent to Elnaira. She'll bring it back for Elerosse's use after she sees him.

What about the others?
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2007 05:37
I would suggest that tents be shared by families for use of the women, elderly, sick and children. Taurohtar can wrap himself in his large cloak and lean against someting, so a tent is not needed by him.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2007 09:36
hey sorry about my absense. Continue to post without me I will probably jump back in after the time lapse.

I think the tents should be used currently by the sick mainly. For even the nissi have the equal endurance as the neri. Healers would be able to perform things easier with the tent so it would make since if folks were making it a point for the sick to use the tents.

A tent per family makes sense, so Rauron and his family could have a small one, and Arquen and that family could have one as well, I don't expect they would be a very grand size. *shrugs*

The council should also discuss matters such as food and the rations which should be taken.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email