Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: OOC for Conquering Helcaraxë (KEEP)
on: February 18, 2008 05:27
Sorry, Rumel, that it's taken me so long. And I'm not thrilled with this post but at least it's something to keep everyone going for a bit.

I'm hoping things will begin to calm down in my world and I will be able to focus on my posts soon.

Carry on!!
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 05:21
It's a great post, Ber. Irisse is a delight to read. I love her!
Shall put up my post shortly.

Isil, Maralyn, how's your subplot coming along?
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 05:16
I'll wait til you post, Rumel and then post for Nolo.

Am I right in thinking the Council will be ending shortly? Should I maybe head it in that direction with my post?
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2008 02:37
I can change it, but it's part of Taurohtar's nature to be impatient, especially since he is more akin to a viking berserker than a normal warrior.
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2008 10:59
You go, Bereth!! Caaaaaaaaaaaaatfight!!! Rawwwwrr!!

I am :love: ing this powerplay between Irisse and Galadriel!! Lovely, lovely posts all!

Turin, those ladies are going to be me and Maralyn's charrie...that is, if Maralyn is still around? Maralyn, I'm ready with my post, and I'll just tweak it a little so that if you still want to join Silme, you can just come ahead to where Elnaira is. I'm all impatient to get in my post - apologies for moving ahead. Hope you understand.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 27, 2008 01:04
Hey... Rumel, I never saw anything for certain - are you waiting for me to post or were you going to reply first?
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2008 04:41
Hey, Gwendeth,
working on my post actually. Sorry, I thought I'd write in the post and then reply here, since Isil had already put up a post. If you feel like putting your post in, and if it is complete, then by all means, please do so. As to wrapping up the council, yes, you can certainly start doing so. I was thinking to put in the element of the passage of time like "the tide had turned once since the Council had begun" to indicate that time has passed in the 'debates'.

Though I would love to have some 'solutions' to how they shall manage to cross Helcaraxe, through Nolofinwe's dialogue. You can refer to the posts on the OOC for the kind of discussion/solutions that can be offered/written.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 27, 2008 05:56
Hi Rumel,

No, I'm not ready to post yet, but your comments will help a lot.

I like your idea about the passage of time, too. I should have some good time this weekend for writing.
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2008 12:18
Was wondering if Maralyn is still with us...
Also, Turin, I would like to write with your character, so let me know if the last post is all right.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2008 03:11
Okay, my post is up. Sorry, if there are mistakes in it and it seems a bit hurried, it's a first draft. Students' exams have swamped my time so I couldn't really make the post longer. Looking forward for my vacations. And that reminds me! I joined the CoE during last year's vacations!! Gosh! It's nearly been a year!
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 14, 2008 11:59
Just so y'all know, I am working on a post. However, being that I work in a church office and this is the week before Easter, I'll be a wreck by the time Easter Day rolls around, so it may not be till after then I can get the post completed. :twitch:
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2008 08:29
I live!! :disco:

So terribly sorry for my disappearance. School has had me in over my head lately, and I all but forgot about this RP! Horrible, I know. :banghead: However, now that the majority of my studies are out of the way, I have time to commit to my long overdue post.

Isil - Please forgive me for making you languish in wait. I can see why you went ahead and moved Silmë forward a bit...it’ll be no problem for me to have Eärlindë meet up with her and Elnaira. It may take me a couple days more to work on my post, but by now you’re probably used to waiting on me. :blush: In the meantime, if there's anything you still need to discuss with me regarding our characters, please don't hesitate to bring it up in this thread.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies.

[Edited on 3/15/2008 by Maralyn_Imladiel]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2008 03:51
Hello, all.
Maralyn, that was a cool post, it will get things going. I'll ask Isil to put up another post. Turin, are you around?
Gwen? Do you want me or Ber to put up another post?
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 27, 2008 05:32
Hi, no, I'm working on a post. Hopefully, I can get it done soon.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 30, 2008 04:47
Ok - sorry for the double-post, but it's *finally* posted. Hopefully it's all right and I've addressed everything that needs to be and I haven't forgotten anyone.

If I need to edit anything, just let me know.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2008 10:21
No, Gwen. You don't need to edit anything. I read it once before writing in here. I shall write in a post now. I think the Council shall officially come to a close with a last post on the Council from me and I would really like to read one more of Ber's post. I've grown incredibly fond of Irisse. Hehehe. So, Ber, wouldja please?

Maralyn, it's great to have you back. And Isil is working on her post as I write this.

Turin, are you around?
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2008 03:08
Thanks for welcoming me back, Rumel! I am eagerly awaiting Isil’s post, as well as preparing a new one of my own. It’s good to be a part of this RP once more.
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2008 05:03
hello all.

I have been away for a bit, literally, I was posted for a month in another city and work really had me hassled... and Rumel has been busy, I believe, with exams and correcting papers.

So, the draft I was working on was left incomplete. Shall try and get it completed by the end of this week. Was re-reading through the thread, and I recalled exactly why I agreed to RP!! I *really* liked it and now I love the way it's shaping up (if I might say so myself, with all prejudices intact ). Shall add to it, as soon as I can.

[Edited on 21/4/2008 by Isillindë]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2008 12:18
Hello everyone.

Yep, paper corrections had me wrapped up with work. But now I am free - and looking forward to a month of vacations. yay! :disco:

Now, I have just submitted my post. The verse in the end took a lot longer than I had expected - but it's done. Now a few things to note.

Firstly, Ber, if you are reading this... would you like to write in one last post on Irisse, I really like reading about her... and would it be too much to ask if you could write in more sometime - whenever you feel like it or get the time? I ask because you do read through the rp and I love Irisse But mostly, whatever your decision, I really appreciate the inclusion of both Gwendeth and you in my RP. I am honoured and duly grateful. Thank you. :hug:

Secondly, Maralyn, I think it would be better if you get your characters to the place where the action is happening - accordingly Isil's Silme can communicate with them. Just a suggestion.

Thirdly, Turin, are you around? Isil's post has a question for your character.

Fourthly - hmmm - I forgot what I was supposed to say - I remember there were four things I needed to mention - now I have gone and forgotten the fourth point - argh, need to write these down in a notepad. Anyhow, good to be back.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2008 12:04
Yeah, I'm still here, barely. School has been, for lack of a better word, hell the past while. Coupled with tons of camping trips I have had no time recently to write or even check up on the posts. I hope I can catch a break here soon though.
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2008 04:00
I'm working on another post as we 'speak'. Definitely looking forward to more interaction between my characters and Isil's!

Elerosse's funeral scene was beautiful and heart-wrenching...very well written. Poor Elnaira and Erumelmo.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: April 23, 2008 08:49
I'll try to come up with something though I don't know what I have to say and to whom. Everyone seems to have left the area without offering even a simple farewell to Irisse for her to reply to. lol

[Edited on 23/4/2008 by BerethEdhellen]
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2008 03:36
Hey Turin. Cool to see a message from you and a corresponding post on the RP. I am glad you are still with us and sure, I understand being caught up with school work. Take your time - just as long as i know you are around.

Maralyn, thanks so much for the comment on my last post. I am trying to make it a little better - hopefully, by adding a better verse in the lament. And as I said, if you could 'bring' your characters to the scene, we can have immediate interaction.

Hi, Ber,
Well, Artanis leaves a few minutes later from the Council...and we still have Aikanaro and Findarato (sorry, for lack of accents) present there. If she could, would she follow her brother, Findekano to the funeral site? Just asking. You could, of course, make her interact with the ones remaining at the Council and create an exit there itself. I'll tweak my last post a bit there then. Let me know either way your character chooses to flow. I just reread my post and I have mentioned that Findekáno has a 'word' with Irissë. I'll add one more line there.

[Edited on 26/4/2008 by Erumelmo]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2008 04:55
Lovely post, Maralyn.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2008 03:25
Now that the host is about to get moving, I thought a timeline would be appropriate. As per our discussion, posted in the OOC on 21/11/2007, we agreed that we could keep the time line to sum up a total of about 28 days. That would be 56 turns of the tide.

Tides may be semidiurnal (two high waters and two low waters each day), or diurnal (one tidal cycle per day) – I think it would be feasible to use one tidal cycle to summarise one day, since we have no estimate of time (the earth is still flat, so cannot measure time by the movement of the stars, and the trees are dead, after all).

So here is the timeline that I have roughly come up with – we shall be having time leaps in the narrative.

Day 0 – Battle Under the stars on Middle-earth, which coincides with Elerossë’s death.

Day 1 – Immediate setting out. Snowing constantly. Rumel and Elnaira pack up their stuff and gather the host and then set out. Findekáno goes back to rejoin Turukáno.

Time span leap – 10 turns of the tide (10 days)

Day 11 – Elnaira begins to show signs of despair. A blizzard hits the host. They stay close to the sea. There are accidents and deaths. Stars are hidden.

Time leap – 3 turns of the tide (3 days)

Day 14 – Lull in the storm. They reach the middle of Helcaraxë. Food becomes scarce. The elves do not mind the lack of food as much as the dark and the snow. Erumelmo helps the host as much as he can. Elnaira no longer sees to the welfare of herself, let alone that of the others.
Taking advantage of the quiet period, the leaders of the host move up and down the lines of the host – looking after the safety and wellbeing of the elves who journey. Artanis comes. Erumelmo chooses to stay with his sister in the middle. Findekáno is on his way ahead to meet with Nolofinwë. Túrë elects to stay back with Elnaira; so Erumelmo goes ahead with Findekáno.
Stars portend disaster.

Day 15 – Erumelmo returns. And the journey begins again. As does the storm.

Time leap – 1 turn of the tide (1 day)

Day 17 – Elenwë and Idril fall through frozen ice into a current of water. Elenwë is swept away. Idril is saved.

Day 19 – The blizzard ends. In the distance, they see the shadows of the Ered Lómin under the starlight.

Day 20 – The elves go out to get food. The host gets a hold of its bearing. They catch seals and fish. Túrë brings back news of Elenwë’s death. Break for a day as Nolofinwë and all the princes visit Turukáno.

Day 21 – Funeral and laments are sung for those who have died. (Maralyn, I was thinking Earlindë could be the chosen one to sing her best)

Day 22 – The Northern lights show again and the journey continues.

Time leap – 7 turns of the tide (7 days)

Day 29 – Nolofinwë steps onto Middle-earth. The First Age ends. The Moon arises.

They journey along the Ered Lómin for seven days.

The Sun arises.

Now – Túrin, Maralyn, Isil – please feel free to add your own comments and if you would like copy the timeline and after adding the storylines of your own characters adjacent to this one, repost it. If you think the time leaps are out of place, we can discuss where they can be more appropriately utilised.

Do let me know soon.
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2008 03:59
It all sounds so cool, Rumel!
I love the idea of a timeline – it puts everything into place and serves as a check while one writes a story. Not bad at all, if I might say so. Hmmmm, so I shall just copy and put in my own two cents in.

Oh, and I have no problem with the time leaps.

So here is the timeline that I have roughly come up with – we shall be having time leaps in the narrative.

Day 0 – Battle Under the stars on Middle-earth, which coincides with Elerossë’s death.

Day 1 – Immediate setting out. Snowing constantly. Rumel and Elnaira pack up their stuff and gather the host and then set out. Findekáno goes back to rejoin Turukáno.

=Silmë shall have a ‘chat’ with Findekano and tells him to tell Turukano that she shall be travelling with the mid-host for a while. She talks to Hendalacon as well. Silmë shall also get back to bonding with Earlindë during this time – is that fine, Maralyn?=

Time span leap – 10 turns of the tide (10 days)

Day 11 – Elnaira begins to show signs of despair. A blizzard hits the host. They stay close to the sea. There are accidents and deaths. Stars are hidden.

=Silmë wants to go back to her family. Rumel tells her to wait till the blizzard dies down. Hendalacon tells her that he will take her – but Rumel does not allow it. (Maralyn, will Ondotano side with Hendalacon or Rumel?)=

Time leap – 3 turns of the tide (3 days)

Day 14 – Lull in the storm. They reach the middle of Helcaraxë. Food becomes scarce. The elves do not mind the lack of food as much as the dark and the snow. Erumelmo helps the host as much as he can. Elnaira no longer sees to the welfare of herself, let alone that of the others.
Taking advantage of the quiet period, the leaders of the host move up and down the lines of the host – looking after the safety and wellbeing of the elves who journey. Artanis comes. Erumelmo chooses to stay with his sister in the middle. Findekáno is on his way ahead to meet with Nolofinwë. Túrë elects to stay back with Elnaira; so Erumelmo goes ahead with Findekáno.
Stars portend disaster.

=Silmë travels back with Artanis and Earlindë (?) back to the rear-host.=

Day 15 – Erumelmo returns. And the journey begins again. As does the storm.

=Just when Silmë reaches Turukano the blizzard hits again.=

Day 17 – Elenwë and Idril fall through frozen ice into a current of water. Elenwë is swept away. Idril is saved.

=Silmë sees the death of her sister and goes into shock.=

Day 19 – The blizzard ends. In the distance, they see the shadows of the Ered Lómin under the starlight.

=Silmë won’t speak or eat.=

Day 20 – The elves go out to get food. The host gets a hold of its bearing. They catch seals and fish. Túrë brings back news of Elenwë’s death. Break for a day as Nolofinwë and all the princes visit Turukáno.

Day 21 – Funeral and laments are sung for those who have died.
(Maralyn, I was thinking Earlindë could be the chosen one to sing her best)

=On hearing the songs – probably Earlindë’s voice rise up in song – Silmë breaks down and weeps, letting go of her repressed misery. (After this I really don’t know where the character shall be – so I shall put in more cents *smiles* later?)=

Day 22 – The Northern lights show again and the journey continues.

Time leap – 7 turns of the tide (7 days)

Day 29 – Nolofinwë steps onto Middle-earth. The First Age ends. The Moon arises.

They journey along the Ered Lómin for seven days.

The Sun arises.

This post makes the OOC thread get 200 posts!! Yay!!

[Edited on 22/5/2008 by Isillindë]
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2008 11:01
I think I forgot to tell y'all, but i won't be able to get on for very long or at all for the next 5 weeks due to work. Yay Scout Camp Staff!!!
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2008 05:02
*reads Turin's post* I don't like to be the bearer of more bad news, but I'm afraid I won't be able to be involved with the RP for awhile, either. I'm leaving in four days to be on staff at a retreat center, and will be gone for a month. The place where I'm going has no internet and computer access will be limited (if existant at all), so the next you'll hear from me will probably be between late July and early August.

I've been attempting to put together a post, but unless I get hit with a bout of inspiration between now and the date of my flight, then I probably won't be able to complete it until my return. Hope you guys understand!

On an RP-related note, I love the idea of a timeline and am impressed with all the ideas Eru and Isil have come up with! I'm looking forward to returning from my 'vacation' and getting back into the swing of things. (If you ask me, summer is even busier than the rest of the year! Overrated, that's what it is...)
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2008 02:07
No problem at all, Turin and Maralyn. Thanks for letting us know about your absences. I'll be putting in a post shortly. And yes, Maralyn, I completely agree with you, vacation time seems to be the busiest time! Go figure!
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2008 10:58
Well, Rumel and I have picked up our story line as you can see. The presence of a Timeline does help indeed!
We seem to discussing the thread everyday at dinner and then go on and type away at the computer...the rains have set in here in India, and the burst it gives creativity: well, you can see that for yourselves too...hehehehe.

Rumel has been working on writing something of his own, so those discussions lead to the discussions on the forums here and we just get so charged up that we hit the keyboard with a vengeance. We were actually thinking that it would be wise to finish with this thread before beginning the RP on Gondolin. But that is something he would want to mention.

A hello to everyone who reads this - and especially those who are on the Helcaraxe RP thread.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2008 01:30
Thanks for mentioning most of what I wanted to mention - do notice the dry, sarcastic tone.
:Ahem:

Anyhow, yes, I do agree with Isil on two points: the first being that the mood of the season does seem to be best suited for creative endeavours. The second is that I think it wise to devote my time to bringing this, my first and wonderful, RP to a close; before I get into laying out grounds for the one in Gondolin... But this is just something that I have been thinking... I already started writing for Gondolin, but midway I realised that there were many things of my character that I could have included in the Gondolin RP, which I realised while writing the RP on Helcaraxe.

Character formation is in its process while writing Helcaraxe and it is what is helping me develop my characters, as it is, I am sure, helping the rest who are writing in here. (Hopefully, at least. )

But - back to the RP on Helcaraxe.
The Timeline has helped infinitely! I can see my story developing and I am anxious to see where it leads to...the part about the visions of the Sun and Moon, just came to me...and it fit beautifully into the story... Cannot wait to actually write about the Coming of the Moon.
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2008 03:59
*gazes in awe* How is it possible that you guys have posted so much in a mere month? It would seem that I have much to learn...

As you might have noticed, I've returned from my trip and am now eager to get back into the full swing of things! Although doing so may take a lot of reading on my part, since you guys have apparently moved on quite a bit...not that I don't blame you!

All in all, I'm glad to be back and hope that my absence hasn't slowed down the RP too much.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2008 04:19
Ok guys, I'm back. Sorry I haven't posted since I've been back for over a week now, but I've been really busy.

By the way, it is ok for everybody else to include Taurohtar in their posts and make him say stuff. He is there with the other characters.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2008 07:23
Hey Maralyn, Hey Turin.

Missed you guys! and yes, Isil and I went on a writing spree over a weekend. And it was fun brain storming and writing together. The results are before you. So please feel free to join in.

The important thing is that having a TIMELINE sort of speeded the creative process! The progress of the RP is moving fast - which is a boon. In a way.

Turin, do submit your post and yes, you can use our direct speech in your own post.
Maralyn, do check out how Isil has written her post, since your characters move with hers being her best friends.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2008 02:49
Hello, all.

Have been waiting for either Turin or Maralyn to put up a post... but are you guys still with the thread? Do let me know. Just a reminder. I am done with a few posts, if you guys need to put up something, please do so. I shall edit the ones I am working on accordingly.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email