Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: January 27, 2003 06:23
This pub is different from every other pub in RP. We don't RP in this one- there are pubs in all of the subforums for that

It has been set up for discussions of Roleplaying and the RP forum and you come in as yourself rather than your RP charactor.

The Freindly staff of the Rusty Pail (RP) are the RP Moderators- I am PotBellyHairyFoot , the doorman, Arwen_Undómiel22 is the bartender and [berethedhellen] is the cook, and [b]eldir is the barmaid. Feel free to ask questions of the staff or give comments as we are here to serve more than just drinks and food.

[Edited on 21/10/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 7/6/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 5/8/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
evenstar53
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: January 27, 2003 04:16
Hello guys! I have a question....

What does it mean when the word "Keep" is next to the title of a thread?
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 04:22
What's god modding?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 04:23
Keep
when the number of threads in the forum gets to be excessive the mods will go thorugh and 'cull' the old threads , removing those that are not being used anymore or are finished. Sometimes we are asked to save threads - usually for archiving or so members can print them out as fanfic. We then add "keep" or "save" to the title so that we'll remember not to delete that thread the next time we cull the old ones.

Godmoding (Godmodding)

Basically Godmoding is giving your character-god-like powers - far more than anyone else in the RP has--Instead of being a normal individual that struggles to survive you are able to Kill a thousand orcs with a single glance- walk through fire or make everyone do as you say- etc. ( slightly exagerated)
When someone enters a normal RP as a super individual with powers that were not expected in the RP it tends ruin the RP for everyone involved.

[Edited on 28/1/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 04:32
the RPG forum seems to be having problems telling who posted last...is this just part of all the stuff going on?
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 05:21

just a quick question...what authority does a thread maker have over his thread? Can you ask trouble makers to leave if a problem arises, or tell people not to join or ask them to edit a post (if scripted)

AerynJade
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 06:07

Is there a limit on how many RPs you can join?

Also is there a way to regulate the one-line responses? Its a little frustrating and doesn't exactly add to the story.

This site is the best I've seen for Rping. It's members have wonderful imaginations and their stories and adventures are exciting to both participate in and also great to just read! And the admins have done a terrific job of organizing it to make it a great expirience for all. So thanks!

PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 07:17
lets see now--passes out mugs- of beer and of pomegranate juice

Pips- what you saw happens at different times-when we delete a post the name stays- or when we move a post to a new thread- the name doesn't appear in the new thread.

Yes I agree that one line posts are mostly just a waste of space - often it is as though the poster didn't have anything worthwhile to add.

We haven't put a limit on the number of threads anyone can join. In MOST cases common sense dictates the number of threads a person can handle reasonably well. Some people don't seem to have this common sense ability and often you can tell by their posts that they are in way too many RPs

The originator of a thread does not own a thread but does have some say over what is happening. after all that is the person that set the scenario for the RP. You can ask people by PM to edit their posts to go with what was planned and seek our assistence if they won't go along with everyone else in the RP or disrupt the RP ( why do you ask-don't you want to escape? -lol)

(the opinions expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of the other RP Mods)
Lisa_Legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 08:16

I'll have a HUGE keg of Rootbeer pweese.

And is there a limmit to how long your responses to RPs can be? 'Cuse lately, I've be writeing some reasonably long replys to Me Newest RPG and I was just worried if they might be a tad long...

Some people don't seem to have this common sense ability and often you can tell by their posts that they are in way too many RPs

I'm a good example of that....I think at one time i was like in 6 or 7 diffrent RPs....I wonder if people hated Me for it...

SO! How about that root beer?

PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 03:00
Taps a fresh keg of root beer

Gee - you were in that many-I never even noticed.
There is no limit to the length of a post and often a long one is neccesary to steer the thread in the right direction. There is nothing at all wrong with long posts - they take a lot longer for everyone to read but if well written -are worth the extra time.

I should clarify an earlier point about short posts, Sometimes, on rare occasions, they are neccesary but if all you are doing is letting everyone know that you are still around waiting for something to happen- you and the RP are better of with the post not being made.

( Hm I didn't realize I'd have a soapbox sitting by the door)

AN ADDITIONAL NOTE
a number of silly and pointless posts that folowed this one have been removed. We really would like to save this thread for questions and comments.
You can fool around in many other pubs in all three subforums
Thankyou

Römen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 07:20
*Römen glances up from his pint.

Question: Say you killed someone's character, but had their permission....would you still get PMed about it by Mods?

*Gulps pint*

[Edited on 28/1/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 07:33
just a quick question...what authority does a thread maker have over his thread? Can you ask trouble makers to leave if a problem arises, or tell people not to join or ask them to edit a post (if scripted)

pip in the post HH and i have been running, its scripted and we often ask people to edit slightly if the post doesnt make sense (usually only happens if two poeople post at once and dont realise) certainly no one in our thread has minded... ive been asked to edit my entries a few times as well.

pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 07:47
K - yeah...about that thread...I don't think I'll be in it...it got a little mature for me....but, I mean...since they made the thread do they have the authority to kick out a poster if they contiinually cause trouble? (talking worst case scenerio...hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will)

also refusing people joining...is this legal? I sometimes have nothing against a person,but they're not always an RPGer I want in my thread...I don't like to say no,but sometimes you do need to.

*glances to elves* What do you want, a dating RPG or somethin? with all the romance goin around in RPGs nowadays...

*shrugs* wierd people...although it does give a comedic element to a thread for people like me. *points to t-shirt*

Hopelessly unromantic

hehe!
Linwe
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 08:44
"Nice shirt pip!! Unfortunately, or perhaps not, I am a hopeless romantic. I, too, like them guys with the pointy ears." She winks at the guys and smiles as she walks over to the bar. "Just a glass of ginger-ale for me. I am feeling a little queasy."

So, I agree about PMing someone to edit their post in RP. I found out that not everyone understands or takes things the way they were meant to be. This could help in not creating tension and all between RPer's. As far as not wanting certain people in a thread, this is just my thought take it for what its worth, but about the only way I can think of to do this without hurting others feelings, is to PM the people you want to start with.. then is you need more characters, perhaps there should be some sort of "want ads" section, where you can post looking for the right person.. then you know interviews or something. You can have "personals" (halfhuman/half dwarf seeking big stron elf...) in there too... for you poor lonely elves.*wink* Otherwise if it is a "free" RP, I really don't think there is any way to keep someone out. Anyway. that is my thought.
I like theway the RP's are divided. I think it was an awful great idea. I raise my glass to the Admins and Mods!! Keep it up!":love:
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 09:16
Happy Hobbit walks into the bar carring a handful of menus, carefully setting them out on the tables.

Turns to address Romen,

Question: Say you killed someone's character, but had their permission....would you still get PMed about it by Mods?

More than likely we'd PM to ask if you had the persons permission, but definitely if we were informed you did not, It is against the RP Forum rules to kill off another members character without their permission. Please make sure you follow the RP forum rules when dealing with violent scenes.

The RP forum is and is to remain PG rated.

To Pipsqueak,

If you are having continued problems with a poster despite PMing them and politely asking for them to follow the RP thread, or if you are continually asking a poster to edit because they ruin the plot, it is best you bring that person to the RP Forum Mods attention.

All Free Rps are open to all members,

Scripted ones should be open unless the character a player wishes to use would not fit eg spiderman in a Totally Tolkien thread.

If you have a set number of players eg Nine for the fellowship for exaple and a new person wished to join perhaps ask if they would be prepared to play a lesser character rather than refuse them completely.

I dont like the idea of exclusive threads where only certain members can post. However if they are desired by the majority of the members I am prepared to discuss it with the other RP forum mods. They however would be limited in number.

To Linwe

There is a thread in the Non Tolkien Forum (page 2 at the moment) called Middle Earth Advertiser where you can advertise for members to join your RP. I find however that often it is better to look in the Character Profile to find the type of characteryou want and then PM and ask if they would like to join.
Linwe
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 10:20
"Oh.. umm thanks HH.. " smiles and lowers her head a little, blushing. "I guess there is still a lot I haven't seen! So, lets take a look at the menu... what would you suggest. I am in the mood for meat, since I haven't been able to eat for a few days!!" She picks up a menu and goes sit down with evenstar53 and the "boys".
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 08:38
So...about OOC threads, I've noted a couple of threads that have them...what decides whether or not the thread is important enough to have a OOC thread? just speaking my thought now...haven't really dwelt a whle lot on this,but what decides if a thread may have a OOC thread or not? I don't see how you can guage the importance of one thread over another to determine which gets their OOC thread...just pondering this a bit...having a seperate thread really does make life simpler I think,but we are up to the ears in threads as it is...so any answers on that?
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 09:34
Happy Hobbit hands Pipsqueak a pint (milk, lemonade, ale whatever)

OOC Threads:- are for Scripted Role Plays only, it makes sense to limit them this way as only scripted RP's should have a set plot/ be planned out. I feel it is best to use an OOC Thread when you have more than 5 posters in a thread. Of course I would hope people would use them sparingly as I dont want to see the RP Forum flooded with OCC Threads. The RP Forum mods do not wish to sit in judgement on which threads are important and which are not, however as with all things we will monitor the situation and act if needs be.

Happy Hobbit begins collecting used glasses.

annunvingiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 11:04
Scripted ones should be open unless the character a player wishes to use would not fit eg spiderman in a Totally Tolkien thread.

so what exactly are scripted rpgs? i've seen a bunch of threads that say scripted, but i've never figured out what they are. *sits down to have a black cherry ibc*
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 11:22
so what exactly are scripted rpgs? i've seen a bunch of threads that say scripted, but i've never figured out what they are. *sits down to have a black cherry ibc*

Ah, the Scripted RPG! Thats just an RPG that has a story for, by the creator of the thread. Most threads that are adventures are Scripted. It tells you not to go off creating your own stories, but to stick with the given one. Does that help?
elvenprincessofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 02:43
ummm ok I have a question. Why can't we kill our-selves in a thread, if we have permision from the person who made the thread and if we keep it at a pg rating? j/w oh and another question! How come in this one thread ( i think it's in totally tolkin) it says that i'm the last person to post in it but when I looked at the thread i didn't see my post in there. It was a closed thread and it had my name as the last person but no post in it. How can that be?

[Edited on 1/30/2003 by ElvenPrincessOfMirkwood]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 06:18
EPOM
Under the proper circumstances a character can be killed off in an Rp- for example- I could be the rearguard for a party trying to escape and be killed while holding off the enemy long enough to allow everyone else to escape-- or a character could be killed and come back - as Gandalf did in TTT. Even in cases like these examples we will not allow the description of the death to become too graphic.
When characters are killed in RPs we examine the posts very closely to make sure it was neccesary to the storyline and not just a gratuitous death.
Also, we generally won't allow anything resembling a suicide- this forum just isn't the place for it.

As to your second question- it may be that your post was removed because the thread was finished. If a post is removed from a thread or if one is moved to a thread from another - in both these cases the last name shown on the board wiil stay as it was before the move was made.

I hope all this was helpful.
It sure made me thirsty.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 30, 2003 02:33
Happy Hobbit comes over to Elven Princesses table and sits on a vacant chair.

Just to clarify,

As a rule, unless it it a duplicate post, when a post is removed a PM will be sent to tell you why. It is possible however that during the recent server problems a PM may have got lost.

It would be very unusual for a post to be removed without a reason being given and as yet to my knowledge the RP Forum Mods have not done this.

Our aim is to always keep our RP members informed.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2003 04:27
I have a question;
If you have two characters, is it okay to post with both in the same thread? I don't know if I'll ever do it, but just in case.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: February 01, 2003 11:02
Happy Hobbit comes to take Lady rangers order,

As long as you can show who is speaking then you are free to use both characters in the same post.

Please be aware we will not accept a one line post conversations. eg:-

Fred "Hello Tom"

New Post Tom "Hullo Fred"

New Post Fred "Hows you day been"

New post Tom "Not Bad"

where Fred and Tom are both your characters.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 12:43
Thread HIjacking

I would like to have a polite discussion on this issue, ito see if it is a big enough problem to warrent action..

What is it ?/ What should be done about it?

I realise how hard people work to create a thread. A lot of that work is in thinking out and guiding the story line.

I have seen that there is an icreasing trend for single people (or small groups of people) to join a thread and seemingly hijack it.

That is they enter the thread and completely change its track often resulting in the thread being abandoned.

I am not asking for specific names, in fact I ask that you do NOT name them here, but would like to know if this is a problem to you.

I would also like suggestions on how you would wish this to be addressed if it is indeed big enough to warrant Mod Intervention.

In the meantime,

If it seems as though someone has done this to your thread please PM one of the RP mods. We will read the thread and discuss it, if needs be we will deal with it accordingly.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 06:00
Stands on the soapbox he keeps at the door- (Puts him at the height of the men and elves that enter)
I also have noticed a trend towards the hijacking of threads.
WE see it happen but unless we are told that the plot change wasn't acceptable or the hijacker(s) break the rules - we cannot do anything about it.

I hate to see a good RP just end abruptly so please PM us if you are having a problem with someone in your RP. We keep a fierhose on hand and we can blow their posts right out of the thread if it is neccesary

Also if you are planning to change the direction of an RP please PM the originator of the thread first for an OK.

steps off of the soapbox and goes over to wipe down a few tables
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 06:35
Hi! Can I have a mug of root beer please?

I have not seen any hijacked threads, but I am very interested. Would there be a sort of warning system to the offending party? Like a warning and a kicking, or something? How do you plan to punish the person who does hijack a thread?

You guys are just doing a great job, and I think there should be like, a special treat for you guys.

[Edited on 2/2/2003 by SilverDeath]
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 09:57
Yeah... I have seen some hijacked threads myself, and its really a shame... a thread can be going perfectly well, and have great potential, then well... it all just crashes to the ground. To try and get round this I'm making my threads sort of semi-scripted from now on... you have to pm to join, but not all get accepted. I also put some firm rules... no godmodding, no turning it all around so the plot revolves entirely around you, etc. It seems to work pretty well. It has so far, anyway, and with other threads I have seen which have done this. I'm pretty sure the people who do this mean no deliberate harm, but all the same it is not always appreciated. In fact it is largely considered rather annoying.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 11:30
Aye aye! It royally stinks to have someone come in and grab the thread from right under your feet...I've had this done to threads I was in. Maybe thread masters could have mod power over their own threads? Not as in they can sway the rules, but enforce them....
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: February 02, 2003 05:12
I have definitely seen threads be hijacked as you say, as it is so awful, especially when the creator has worked really hard. I see it more with groups of people than with individual members.

Here's another thing I just want to mention...A lot of people are putting the title [scripted] on their threads, when in fact, they really aren't. They have no real story planned out, but they just want to be able to filter the people coming into their thread. As a result, the more people see things like this happening, the more people disregard the word [scripted] in a thread. I think there should be a labeling difference between [scripted] - (I have a story, but I want people to join and help me create it) and [PM to join].
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 04:29
Hands Ring a drink on the House!
You are right - people are calling their RPs scripted to try and prevent hijacking. Perhaps we should expand the choices to : free, scripted and- "storyline" - where it is basically free but the story is heading somewhere but ad libbing is still allowed as long as it doesn't change the direction of the story.
I don't really have an answer here but some other guest of the Rusty Pail might.
-goes back to the door to check IDs
elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 05:54
*drops her characters in the "Character Box" and sits down on the bar* a mineral water please... *ignores odd looks and drinks down the water*

Thats a nice idea PB atleast then the hijacking will be avioded somewhat. Why not add in the rules, a little bit about the story line? that where is it supposed to be heading towards?
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 06:09
The Strangely quiet Bartender, Sephiroth, begins to speak out, or yell out above the rest of the bar.

"Alright everyone, Listen up! I have a story to tell!"

Seph begins to tell his story over a cup of coffee

"There once was a young poster named Bob. He really like the Role Playing forum, so much that he would post every day, multiple times per day, and eventally posted many times per day,The Strangely quiet Bartender, Sephiroth, begins to speak out, or yell out above the rest of the bar.

"Alright everyone, Listen up! I have a story to tell!"

Seph begins to tell his story over a cup of coffee

"There once was a young poster named Bob. He really like the Role Playing forum, so much that he would post every day, multiple times per day, and eventally posted many times per day, so much that he was beginning to break the rules. So a big mean Mod named SadisticYoda PM'ed him saying he had gotten a warning for posting too much, and if he kept on doing it, he would be banned. Bob stopped this, and contiuned to be a happy member of the site, and the Role Playing forum."

Machine-Gun Posting - Posting many many times per day (Weekends too! Posting too much on weekends is just the same as posting too much any other day of the week!) with very tiny posts. (One-lined posts, mabye two or three lines)

This is a MAJOR problem in this forum. Many people are doing this daily, and it must be stopped. YOU CAN BE BANNED FOR THIS!!! Just this weekend we had several posters posting too many times, with short and in many cases, pointless posts. Its as if someone wanted to get their post count up fast, but you probaly wont make many friends. The bottom line is not to do this! Make longer, more detailed posts, and don't join alot of threads, there are many ways to prevent this, and many members who used to do this (Myself included) have stopped now, and are doing very well! It would be great if everyone else could to the same!

Seph tries to take another sip of his coffee, but he realizes he drank all of it, so back to the bar it is, and make some more coffee, along with pints, for they too were going pretty fast.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 06:17
I’m afraid I find it sad and a little worrying that people feel they have to “filter” their role plays.

Ive always thought of the Role Play forum as a part of the general CoE community… making role plays that arent scripted but you still need permission to join doesn’t seem to be in line with the community spirit.
It seems to me to be intimadating, especially for new people- I certainly wouldn’t like to be judged as to weather im “good” enough to join a certain groups role play. It would put me off even bothering. I just don’t like seeing filtering in the role play, everyone needs a chance to develop their skills.

I can understand how annoying it would be for people to have one of their role plays taken over and moved in a completely different direction than they were planning…. Im not saying people should ignore it. I would rather see the groups or individuals who “hijack” role plays to be dealt with, rather than seeing people have to “apply” to role plays. To me it takes away part of the community spirit of CoE all because of what im sure is a small group of people.

in my opinion the only thing that PM before joining role plays should be used for is to explain a little about the role play and make sure that people come in the right place so that they dont mess up the story. i think anyone that wishs to join a role play should be given a fair chance. a mix of good and not so good posters usually helps the not so good posters to develop thier talents.

i love the community spirit of COE im sure you all do too, its a shame to have it lost in this manner.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email