Author Topic:
Seanthi
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: October 21, 2003 02:30
Seanthi sits down in a dark corner:
"Could I have a headache pill and some water?"

Q: What does one do when there's persons on a thread that just are warmongering? They completly forgot our mission and just makes orcs pop up from holes in the ground!! :cry: :cry: One is trying to either kill my character or bump him!! :cry: :cry:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 21, 2003 02:46
A few things that may help
1) Start an OOC for the RP and try to plan the plot there. Be clear as to the things that you don't want happening
2} Give the RP a clear goal in the OOC so that everyone is clear on what is supposed to happen.
3) Politely PM the warmongers and clue them in as to where the RP is going
4} Turn the attacks around when you can- make them dreams or practise sessions if posible
5) If things are getting really bad and you need things changed and pms haven't helped- conatact one of the mods- we can often help when we have more specific information
6) if it just keeps getting worse --- abandon the RP, post an OOC for a new one - get the plot organized - and then start off afresh without the problems
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2003 03:23
*Walks in and sits down quietly.*

Hello, all!
*pauses for amoment*
I had a question, but it seems to have slipped my mind....

Ahh!! There it is! Come back here you little devil!!!

Anyway, here's the story: Someone joined my RP and they were posting for a while but they stopped. So I said 'Okay......' and the rest of us (being two others...) went on without them. But when I posted a new extention of the story they asked to join up again. I thought 'Okay, why not? Maybe they'll stay with it this time.' Then they posted once or twice, and stopped again.
Since then, they almost never get around to psting, and when they do, their character is focused on their individual problems, and not the problems of the group.I don't have a problem with sporadic posting, I understand that people have lives outside CoE, (certainly NOT me... ) but it's kind of hard to drag them along with the group. Especially when their rare posts don't add anything...
What do you think I should do?
Aylaleia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 09:59
Ayla checks her character at the door and takes a seat at the bar.

"Mead would be lovely, if you please, bartender," she says, leaving her ID on the bar to show she's of age.

She turns to the RP Mod and asks politely:

"What do you do when someone of limited imagination copycats (for lack of a better term other than 'BOGARTS') your character? Or if they keep insinutating themselves into your (unscripted) plotline so you are forced to either deal with or ignore their post? I don't want to be rude or anything, but....,"

Vger
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 06:22
Are these RPG's more like you start a story where anyone, or those you choose can post. Or where you have a GM that tells who what where when and (sometimes) why, letting you decide what to do.

I need to know before I start mine. Thanks.

V-ger
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 06:23
Generally, unless the RP is scripted ( see the RP forum rules for more details ), The RPs at COE are simply members inserting themselves into a story set up by the RP's originator. If the originator wishes, he/she may also start an OOC thread where the RP's participants can discuss just where the RP is heading.

Outside of the forum and site rules on behaviour, which are strictly enforced, there are few set rules for the RPs except for those decided upon by the participants or set up by the originator in the first post.

When you start your Rp. just try to make sure that it is placed in the proper forum. and then have some fun!!.

Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 11:02
Nimrochben walks in. He goes to the bar.

"Just straight water, sir," he says.

He sits and asks a question.

"Does a thread NEED to be the slightest bit scripted in order for its thread starter to have any authority in it whatsoever?
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 11:26
Hi folks! *waves to everyone*
Um...I have a problem.
I've been trying to change the theme on my account and it won't work! I'll go to "My Account" and then "Choose theme" (currently its on Galadrielglade) and I click on "Rivendell" and then "save changes". Well, it changes the theme right then, but when I go somewhere else, like to any of the other forums, it reverts back to "galadrielglade"! Can anyone help me???
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 04:43
The problem my lay with your cookies. you may need to search out and delete any COE cookies before the change can be made permanent. I'd also suggest the "newbies" forum as a better place to find help with this problem.

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 05:41
You will also need to change your Theme in the Forum. When on the main Forum page, click on Profile near the upper left of the screen. At the top under Register - Options: is Theme. Select Rivendell there and be sure to click Edit Profile. See if that corrects the problem. :love:
kunamagreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 02:43
erm, never used the forum before, so apologies if i don't post right the first time around.
does anyone know about chatboard RPGing? like when the RPG uses online boards such as ones from boards2go.com and such. i'm looking for a good lotr one that is still active and not kinda dead and with the last posts being ones from last year january. again, really sorry if this thing doesnt come out right or i posted in the wrong place.
SilarneNenu
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 04:01
I have no clue at all where to start. There's so many with so many people and I'm scared stiff of making a mistake!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 07:53
SN
I'd suggest that you read a few rp's and get an idea on how they are proceeding and then pm the authors of whatever ones you are interested in.

KG
i'm afraid that I can't help with advice on chat RP. Hopefully you'll soon get a response from someone who can.
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 03:07
I'll like a chocolate milkshake,please.

I know this is silly,but what's OOC?
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 03:50
Ooooo, chocolate! My favorite!

OoC is Out of Character. :love:

A lot of times when we want to make a short note in the thread, we'll put ((OoC: the note)) so that people know it isn't part of the main post.

But there is also the OoC discussion where plots are plotted and characters are discussed.
clover_brook
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2004 09:35
Hey, just a quick pint and a quick question before I embark on my adventure into the world that is CoE RPing...

Is there any way of finding out what time-zone the other posters are in (without barging in and yelling it out) as I have had a nasty RP experience before in which I was the only Brit in the thread and the others were interacting brilliantly and having a great time, and then when I got on-line and posted my characters bits, no-one else was on-line to react, and so the next time I visited, the next evening, the entire storyline had moved on and I was left behind (under a table if I remember correctly!)

[Edited on 13/12/2004 by clover_brook]
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 12:23
er, this may have been addressed someplace before, but...

In the RP forum, there are separate forums - one for TT, for TR, and OOC. Now that's great, but what about opening up an rp forum for just Silmarillion based threads? I've seen quite a few around here. Would it help with the organization of the RP forum?

Just a thought.
Faero
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 06:08
*enters the pub, making sure to leave her charas outside, and weaves through the tables to the bar*

I'll just have a water, if you don't mind.

Evening, all. I've been RPing in various genres for a few years - mostly during high school - but stopped when I went to college. Now I'm slowly getting back into the game, so to speak, and have a couple questions.

First off, is it good form for one chara to be in more than one thread at a time? On another RP board I post at, it's specifically stated that a chara cannot be in two places at once. (That could be considered somewhat like godmodding, I suppose.)

Secondly, I was wondering about charas having siblings. Two of my charas are related but in different threads. I'm not necessarily looking to have them meet up or to have one or both jump threads, but I'd like to know how well it would be received if the two did somehow end up in the same thread.

*chuckles* Aye, I'm a bit rigid about how I RP, but I've been at it for years so I've developed something like a set of "RP board manners".

At any rate, those were only a couple things I was wondering about. I'm sure that other questions will come to mind in time, but that's it for now. *smiles*

~Faero

[Edited on 29/5/2005 by Faero]

[Edited on 29/5/2005 by Faero]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 12:10
*grins and raises her drink to Faero*

Hi there, it's nice to see someone as sensitive to the atmosphere of the board as you are! Both of the things you've said, though, are usually fine.

It's common to play with a character in two threads at once, because all the threads aren't necessarily considered part of one big story like some other boards I have seen, and many of the threads are set at different times anyway. Some RPers (myself included) will try and keep a coherent timeline of their character's exploits and so, while I might RP with the same character in two threads at once, one might be set a year after RotK and the other thirty or forty years after. I wouldn't join another thread that happens at the same time as either of those because that would, in my mind, mean the character is in two places at once. That's completely up to personal preference, though, and many RPers are perfectly happy to play their character in whatever threads appeals to them, regardless of timeframe.

If you wanted to bring the siblings together then you would write one sibling into the thread that the other is in, as simply as that. The only time this would be a problem is if the thread owner has specified that he/she would prefer each RPer to have only one character in the thread. In the majority of circumstances there isn't a problem with this and lots of people have one major character and several minor characters, or even two or three joint characters, in one thread, but check if you're unsure.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
ladygaladrielrox
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 10:33
*enters pub*
I'll have a pint of rootbeer please.

What exactly is the point to an OOC thread?
Faero
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 01:45
I knew I'd have another question before long. This one is a bit technical, though.

The CoE chat... I'm assuming that it's IRC-based. I have mIRC. Can anyone tell me what server the chat is based on? (i.e., QuakeNet or WorldIRC)

Thanks!
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 12:00
The point to an ooc thread is to plan your RP or to see if anyone else is interested in it before you actually start. If you mostly RP in free, unscripted threads then there probably isn't much point to them because all the planning you need can probably be done through a quick message in a post or by PM to just one other person who'll help you out with the marvellous plot twist you've just come up with.

On the other hand, you might want to think the plot and the characters through a bit before you start. If the thread owner wants to start a really detailed, realistic story that's very true to the books then the ooc would be a good place to make sure everyone else is willing to do the same. It could help you find a logical way for all the characters to meet up (it's quite frankly startling how many times groups of seven or eight people have stumbled across one another in a clearing in some forest or other) or help you make sure that everyone who wants to get involved will write enough/be serious enough/etc.

OOCs usually go pretty inactive after the thread itself has got into its swing. People tend to follow the thread owner's lead and no further ooc discussion is needed. There comes a point, though, where more planning is needed, and this often happens in threads that originally had no ooc. The thread owner has suddenly run out of ideas, or the characters have had such an impact on the story that the ideas s/he had had no longer seem to fit. Then you get another flurry of planning, and suddenly everyone in the thread knows where it's all going. This can make the thread better, it can also kill it off.

As for the chat server, that's a bit technical for me. Sorry!
Faero
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 09:03
Disregard, fellas, I figured it out. Thanks!
Faero
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 06:59
Me again!

I was wondering if there was a specific place to advertise for other sites anywhere here? A friend and I have a free-form RP board that lacks members rather badly.

If anyone could point me in the direction of the proper forum, it'd be appreciated.

Can I have a refill on my water too? Thanks. *grin*

[Edited on 7/6/2005 by Faero]
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 09:12
As far as I know, there isn't a forum where you can advertise other sites. So you have the option of either putting it in your signature or making a post in the RPU Club.

PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 10:27
COE doesn't allow advertising, but you can put a link to your site in your signature file- as I have my pic file
Faero
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 12:52
Understood, thanks.
Cwén~Ivriniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2005 05:08
*wanders in*

Are you still open?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 08, 2005 12:51
Of course we arE!!
Cwén~Ivriniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2005 01:45
Oh, good

Right, I have three questions:

First of all, can you post an OCC thread before you start an RP thread?

Second, (and yes, I know, the answer's probably staring me in the face) where can I find the pubs? I've been looking everywhere, and my hand hurts now!

And third, can I have a pint of grapefruit juice?

[Edited on 8/9/2005 by Cwén~Ivriniel]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 02:05
In answer to your three questions............

1. Of course you can open an ooc thread before beginning a storyline thread. In fact, there is a lot in favor of doing so. It's a place to lay out your ideas, a place to talk to potential players.

2. The very top line of any page has list of items, beginning with "My Account" . Along that line is one named "Forum". You might find what you're looking for there in the way of pubs.

3. Grapefruit juice is my own personal favorite so we keep plenty in stock. Here, have a pint.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 11:27
*walks up to counter, timidly waves hand* :wave:

Hello? Uh, yes, a glass of lemonade for me please... :cheers:

Oh, good, somewhere I can get answers. Sorry to be so naive, but could someone please explain to me 1) what exactly roleplaying is and 2) how it works? I know absolutely nothing; a little help - ooh, here's my lemonade - would be great. Thanks! :disco:

*gulps lemonade* *leaves money on table*

Anorwen
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 07:19
Glad you're enjoying your lemonade....another? On the house?

Role playing is .... well, it's exactly what it says. Playing a role. In this case, on this site, you develop a character based on Tolkien's world and you write a story around this character. Only you don't do it alone. Usually, several other players have developed chars of their own, and they help you write the story, post by post.

For example, let's say you have a char in mind who is an elf from Rivendell and this elf has a task to do or a quest you want him to go on. At the top of the page where you found this thread, there are three sites: Totally Tolkien, Tolkien Related and OOC.

Posting a story in TT requires a fairly comprehensive knowledge of Tolkien's works, as posting here requires your char to follow JRRT's canon.

Posting a story in TR requires a reasonable knowledge of Tolkien's world but you can deviate from canon (within the Guidelines posted at the top of the TR page)

Posting in OOC (Out Of Character) is usually the place to post your storyline idea, who your char is and how many you might like to have join you. It's the place you can decide whether you want to have fellow players work together on the story BEFORE it gets posted (scripted or semi-scripted) or is open to all with no script, just letting it go where the players who post lead it.

You may begin your own or join an existing one....I recommend you check out OOC first and see if there are any folks looking for an extra player. Or read the TT or TR storylines that are already in existance and join one of them. In scripted or semi-scripted ones, I would pm the person who created the thread initially and ask permission first.

Basically, the only non-story related things to remember is that this is a PG-13 site (watch language) and try to be courteous to fellow players, e.g. if you join a running storyline and can't continue for some reason (real life problems, etc.), try to find a way to exit gracefully so as not to leave their story hanging (post one last post having your char state that it needs to leave for a mission or something, trying to relate it to the story), and for heaven's sake, proof read your posts before posting for spelling and reasonable grammar. There are two boxes at the bottom (post and preview)...use preview to see whether it looks good on screen but then don't forget to go to the bottom of the preview box and hit post.

So give it a go! Use your imagination and just have fun. We'll look forward to seeing you here in the RP forum.

Bereth

Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
elfgurrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 03:20
Thanks sooo much, berethedhellen! You know what... I'm not thirsty, but why don't YOU enjoy the lemonade? take a short break, put up your feet.

Thanks for all the help! :hug:

Anorwen
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 07:51
I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried 5 times to put a new character, Gelfir, on the Roleplaying Database and it is not working. It tells me that the name already exists on the Database. I have 2 other RP Characters on there already and I had no problem with them. Is there a limit to how many characters you can have?

I have looked and there is no Gelfir on the Database. WHAT'S GOING ON?

I have gotten fed up with it. It won't let me do what I want it to do.

That's my problem. I hope you can help.

[Edited on 7/12/2005 by balrog]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email