Post RE: The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: June 18, 2003 01:37
Thanks, Saurid. Majorly big help. *drains root beer in one glup.*
Elvin_Chick
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 06:31
Elvin_Chick slowly walks in, thinking hard.... sits down and asks for an ale politely. turns to the others and asks, " Why does it seem that this site is being taken over by harry potter:dizzy: and the matrix(And others) ??? I thought that this was a LOTR site? lol just been noticing that..."

Elvin_Chick looks around, " Also why does people start threads and then just quit or not want to play that thread any more? They should stick with it and at least finish it they are the ones who started them or joined them and they should take the responsibility for what they join! lol Sorry for whining, thoes have just been buggin me:angry:... " Turns back around and starts to sip ale...
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 06:20
*Walks in, dropping her character at the door*

Please can I have a lemonade?

Just an idea. I'm in a dead roleplay, and I've tried PMing the creator at least twice. I've seen her around in other RPs, and I keep posting once every two days or so to keep it on the first pages because she's admitted to having a tendency to only post in threads on the first page. It's also helping to feed a fanfic, so it needs new posts. If you look at the last two pages, it's just me and one other character.

Would it be possible to set up an "Appeals" thread or forum so that people could try and prevent their favourite RPs for going dead? If people checked the posts every few days, it might jog their memories. Sorry if it's a bad idea, or I'm being rude to the creator, but I really love RPing and I know a lot of threads do die, so I think this could help.
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 03:16
Out of his dark corner, Seph arrives with a jumbo pot of coffee. He fills everyones mug, and takes the rest for himself. (as ususal) Next, he strides over to Simbelmyne.

"An Appeals thread? Mabye, it seems to me that most of the time, people don't "forget" to post in an RP, they just neglect to. Not only can I relate to this, but I've seen it happen with other people. I'd simply suggest PM'ing the members of the RP, and tell them to get their act together. Mabye they'll listen?"

Seph walks back into his gloomy corner, and sits back down. He drinks his coffee, *quietly* for now.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 02, 2003 04:06
i'll try to wander along on a fe topics here while I sip my Guinness
Simbelmyme- The only things I can suggest is to either run an ad for new players in the "Middle-Earth advertiser" thread or start a new RP where the old one left off.
Elvin-Chick- we agreed long ago to allow our members the chance to experiment with some non LOTR RPs . We generally only allow no more than a couple of RPs on each topic so that a topic will not take over the forum but we kind of blew it and before we realized it had allowed more than 3 related to HP. Rest assured that we will allow no more on that topic until we are back down to just two.

As to people joining RPs and then disappearing -there is not a lot to do about that . Some members just join more RPs than they can handle and some members start off really enthusiastic, post like crazy for a few months and then gradually taper off and move on to a new interest.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: July 06, 2003 01:01
Just a heads up for the Non Tolkien Rpers.

we now have three

Yu Yu Hakusho threads, including the origional one, so please no more to be started for the moment.

Thanks.
Tinuviel_of_Doriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2003 08:30
I'm very new to this forum, so I'm a little confused as to just how the RPGs work. Does one simply make a post on the RPG or is there a discussion thread somewhere? (just so you know, I usually RP at the Barrow-downs, and I've reached the limit of RPGs I can be in there, so I'm checking out the other forums to see if I can find some more games.)
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 07:05
*Mae steps forth with a mug of coffee after sitting fruitlessly in the Pub for many days and watches the new visitor come in*

Tinuviel,
It depends on which thread you wish to join. Some of the RPGs do have their discussion threads, if they do it's usually stated in its title ['see ooc', for instance] the discussion thread are situated in the Out of Character Subforum just above this thread
There are Free threads also which usually do not have OOC discussions and you can join them anytime you wish. Check the threads that say 'Free for everyone' 'Everyone welcome' etc. those are the threads you can join straight away.
Tinuviel_of_Doriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 03:59
*Tinuviel smiles in gratitude at Mae*

Thank you ever so much, I'm used to the strict rules on the Downs (which aren't bad, just very different from here). I'll check them out.
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 10:57
can i have a glass of rum please? (I'm a pirate you see)

okay, i was wondering...i got a new account and had my old one (Luthien~Ithildilwen) deleted. i thought my RP characters would be deleted too, but then when i looked on the character database, my characters were still there. i was going to just re post them, but since my old account is still there, i can't. so i was wondering if they could be deleted so i could re post them under rohanmaiden so then i can update them when i need to... thanks!

-RM
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 11:16
*gets up from the corner, walks over to the bar, sits down, and slaps counter*

My goodness gracious, I've just read every single post in this whole thing, so I'm purty tired and would much enjoy some chocolate milk.

*taps fingers on counter*

Well now, I have a couple questions for ya.

Now, I know pretty much the meaning of OCC but I do not actually know what O-C-C stands for. Could anyone help?

Okay, question number two.

Now, first off, I have belonged to this site for probably almost a year, and my big thing is RPing. *waves to fellow friendsly RPers Vana and NenyaGold* I have started/been in threads where there are like, maybe from 7-12 posters, and everything is cool. But then people lose interest and only about 5 people are left to continue the story.

I am thinking about creating a new thread and inviting certain people to come, people who I know are good and regular posters, and maybe only accepting a few other people if they want to join. I would also be checking to see other threads they have been in and if they would really stick with the thread.

I have seen people join my one thread who promise to write often, then disappear after the first page or so. Other people write alot of very very short posts. Some people are good writers but they are involved in so many threads they just vanish without a word.

I myself have left a thread once, but only after informing the creater, everyone in it, creating a scenerio for my character to leave, and it was only because my character wasn't really involved in the story.

*shakes head and returns to first subject*

Anyway, would it be acceptable to create a very serious very scripted thread in which only people who have proven to stick with former threads are allowed to participate in? Because it is very hard, being a thread leader, and have four people post regularly and ten people vanish and have to take care of all the neglected characters. Also, I want to be kind and respectful to everyone, because everyone has almost always been that way to me. (and mods always have been)

If this is a crummy idea then just slap me upside the head, I won't mind!

*slaps mouth shut to prevent more rambling and patiently waits for chocolate milk*
Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 08:23
*comes out of the broom closet and dusts herself off, on the way handing Newra her drink*

Now, I know pretty much the meaning of OCC but I do not actually know what O-C-C stands for. Could anyone help?

OCC is the same as OOC which stands for 'Out Of Character', I hope that will help you.

As for your second question, you cannot control people when it comes to posting regularly in my opinion it all depends on how they like the story in the thread. For me it forms no problem that you invite certain people in, but no one can say that will eventually join the story. But also remember that you have have a decent reason not to allow other posters to join, there will always be some people who write short posts. And one more thing I find is that you cannot always judge a person on how he/she is in other threads.
And I know, I'm a living example of it... posting regularly in one thread, yet I need to be called back in to the other threads :blush:

Newra, this is just my view of it... it could be that my fellow mods see it differently. But I hope it helps a little.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 10:13
Oh yes, thank you for your opinion and help, Syriana. (and thank you for a chocolate milk, it was delicious)

Now, I have one last question. I noticed that under Pipsqueak's name it said Pipsqueak was a CoE volenteer, thought it still had just the one yellow star of regular council members. What is the meaning of that?

hannon le,

~Newra
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 01:25
As far as I remember, when you reach 25 user points you get the rank CoE volunteer. You can check that by going to 'My Account' and the points section. It is a way of showing our gratitude to the members who in certain ways are contributing to the site - by which you can gain points
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 07:14
*waves back at Newra* Hope no one minds if I help answer Newra. I've personally seen all kinds of threads in the year or so that I've been here. The funny thing is, I've only been in two threads, in all that time, that actually finished. The others died, whether from neglect or simply because everyone got too busy to work in the thread. The one thing I've learned is not to let it bother you. Sometimes real life gets in the way, and sometimes you lose interest. I've learned a lot from threads that died, and I've met some of my best friends in threads that never finished. Hope that helps a bit...say, can I have another root beer?
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2003 12:38
is anyone going to answer me? please??

-RM
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: September 14, 2003 09:12
Elenisil and I have been looking through the Roleplaying Characters Gallery and have become concerned with how cluttered it is. We are going to start cleaning it down to no more than one picture of any character. There's no need to have any more than that. Please post your favorite pictures of your characters with your database information.

I do want to be as fair as possible about this, so if you have a particularly favorite picture of your character in the Roleplaying Gallery, please pm me the url of the picture so that I'll know to leave that picture up. If I don't hear from people, I'm just going to pick one and delete the others.
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 02:23
sneaks in, but the sneaking ends as she trips over a stool, causing most evryone to look at her. "long time no see all!!!" yes and do you serve sake???"
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 07:43
okay, my problem is that I set up a new account and had my old one (Luthien~Ithildilwen) deleted. But my characters didn't get deleted so I was wonderin if somehow they could be deleted so I could re-post them with my new name. And can I have a glass of rum please?

~RM~
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: September 21, 2003 12:57
Hi rohanmaiden

If you have the details saved then I can delete them for you. Just let me know you are ready and i'll sort it for you.

Sets a pot of homemade stew with dumplings on the stove. and goes to prepare pudding.

rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2003 10:33
The characters to be deleted are the following: Daerhun, Elfaerwen, Morrandir, Ninqueheri, and Romelethien. Thanks!

*takes a sip of rum*
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 22, 2003 09:34
*smiles and waves to everyone*

Nope, I'm not leaving yet, I need to ask one more question. (and maybe a pint of lemonade??)

Rivka has blue stars and I also saw that she was CoE member number #2. Is there a number one?? And if so, who??

[Edited on 26/9/2003 by Beleg_Strongbow]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 05:43
If you are in the forums and click on "member list" above the threads you'l get a list in chronological order. Rivka is #2 and # 1 may have been a test- I don't know for sure.
Seanthi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 11:09
Seanthi stumbles in, falls over and smiles.

Can I have a really strong cup of coffee?

My question is this: I just started RPG (and I'm already addicted ) And I started with writing a own thread, and I saw that Happy Hobbit had edited on someones post and I simply wonder why...

:dizzy:The confused one.:dizzy:
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 12:57
This has been answered before *Mae hands Seanthi a cup of really strong coffee*

You may sometimes notice a little blinking star icon and 'Edited by -mod's name-' in the posts. This is the system we RP mods use to mark the last post read in a thread, so that another mod who come to check it knows where to start reading. It's because we read every single post in each thread in the Forum, and with so many posts each day this system makes the modding a bit easier for us.
No need to worry - if the content of the posts is edited, the poster will always be contacted by the moderator and explained the reasons.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 08:30
I know, you all are probably sick of me, but this will be my last question for a while, promise! NenyaGold is a welcome wagon person, and I believed she said there were for or five others as well. They greet new members of CoE, correct? Obviously, since so many people join, they are busy an awful lot. I would just like to know how you become a member of the 'welcome wagon' and how often you are expected to be on CoE. Just curious.

~Newra
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 08:39
Hi Newra,

If you do sort out your new RP thread, I'd like to join in if you'll let me You know I can post regularly

oh, and can I have an orange juice to celebrate my first post here???
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: October 02, 2003 08:46
Hi Newra - awwww, how can anyone be sick of you??? :heart:

Yes, we Welcome Wagoners (heehee) welcome every new member with a PM pointing out some things to see on the site and other important information.

Currently we are getting about 50 new members a day, which is down from when TTT came out in August. It is expected to rise when the EE TTT comes out and then again in December (for obvious reasons) .

I was asked by k to become a member because she saw that I was on the site a lot and helped out here and there. I was very glad to become part of the group because I really like helping people and being in the background in a job like that.

Each morning I welcome those new members on the list and then check it again at night. With my computer speed, it takes about 10 minutes or so to welcome 25-30 members. So the time expected is not that great for me.

It's a fun job because a lot of new members come back with PM's asking for help in various areas. I remember getting my very first PM from ~Witch Queen~ warmly welcoming me and I felt like I was a part of the site on my very first day.

I hope this answered your questions. :love:
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 07:27
yes, it does help, NG dear. i remember my very first pm...who was it? Andaaril, was that her name? something like that. bye everyone!

~Newra

alante_star, sure i will let you know! i would love to have you! (it wont be started for quite a while yet, though)
Seanthi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2003 12:01
Seanthi walks in,:cry: crying, :cry: after blowing her nose in a purple spotted hanky;

"Could I have a hot cocco?"

When do you give up on the thread you created 'cause it's going the direct opposite dirction of good? (meaning that the action is left out, there no onward movement)
The thing is that people still answer on it but it just standing there stomping a big hole in the ground...

:cry::cry::cry:

[Edited on 5/10/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 04, 2003 10:13
If it is your thread then I suggest you try moving the story on, perhaps PM your co players and ask for ideas of what to do next or invent something, like a bad storm that should get them moving, or you could get lost, or Kidnapped, or find something, or join a battle.

One possibility is to have a different person take charge of the thread each week, that way each person get the chance to move the story along and it might lead to some enjoyable adventures.

Good Luck!
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: October 07, 2003 12:13
Okays guys Just to let you know I am stepping down as RP mod as I am moving over to the Green Dragon Inn forum.

If you have any RP queries please ask one of the RP Mods who will be happy to help you.

Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 02:37
Hello all. I'm new at RPG's so I'm curious about the rules here. If I were to kill of one of my own characters (that is, of my own creation that are entirely 100% mine and that I alone am using) in one RPG thread, does that forever disclude them from then being in another RPG even if I do not bring them back or reincarnate them in the last RPG they participated in?
Thanks,
Eladriewen,
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 03:48
I'm not an official RP person... but I'm pretty sure if the character is entirely your own than yes, you can kill it off. And no, you can still keep it I guess... There was a question asked like that earlier in this thread, if you want to look it up and be positive...just putting in my two cents.

Good luck with RPing, it's the bomb.

~Newra
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 02:26
Okay, well thanks Newra! I appreciate it. Am so far loving RPGing.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email