Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: February 03, 2003 07:01
Grabs soapbox back from K-
I don't mind the start of an RP saying PM to join- this is a good way of letting everyone know what type of character is expected and where the RP is heading- and can reduce the risk of hijacking the plot -

But I do take issue with " not all will be accepted" when added. If we hear of members being refused admission to RPs without a reasonable explanation we will probably have to shut down the RPs in question while we investigate.
If you are having problems withany individual in a RP then ask them to do some editing and PM us as to the problem.
Also if you have been refused admittance to an RP and feel that this in unjust - them also send us a pm- .
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 08:26
I’m afraid I find it sad and a little worrying that people feel they have to “filter” their role plays.

Ive always thought of the Role Play forum as a part of the general CoE community… making role plays that arent scripted but you still need permission to join doesn’t seem to be in line with the community spirit.
It seems to me to be intimadating, especially for new people- I certainly wouldn’t like to be judged as to weather im “good” enough to join a certain groups role play. It would put me off even bothering. I just don’t like seeing filtering in the role play, everyone needs a chance to develop their skills.

k, I couldn't have said it better myself! To me, scripted would mean that you have a set amount of people that can join, but more and more, it seems that it means you have set people that you want to join your thread. I mean, why bother putting "PM to Join" if you aren't going to let someone who's not in your "group" join your RP. The RP Forum has changed so much since I first got into it, and though many improvements have been made for layout and organization, the overall feel of community has decreased.

*Hides her old fake ID's and pulls out her very nice real ID*

[Edited on 3/2/2003 by Ringhilwen]
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 10:20
Oops....>_< I have refused people to join in my RPG, not newbies (some, usually most, newbies are very good) but because I HAVE seen their past posting, and I do know they have a tendancy to godmode, wether intentionally or not. If this was against the rules, I'll take it back.

but,there are some people I'd just rather not post with, due to past expereince (once bitten, twice shy)....

this is a touchy topic....if I crossed any rules >_< ergh,I'll do my best to remedy it.

I think maybe the one who starts a thread should have more power over it...basically it's their dream...least for me it is, it's something I take seriously. You get a sense of pride from a well done RPG,a sense of being part of something more. People don't seem to get that as much anymore. It seems to be focused more on "how many can I join" rather than "how well can I do". Put yourself into the thread, not just posting one liners that make no difference. Try to post so well you make people cry, or rejoice. When it's a good RPG it's as if you were there. Join a good thread and take an hour to post. It's worth it.
ElenaTheWarrior
Journals Moderator
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 03:04
**Elena walks in
"Hi Pb! Can I have some cider, please?"
*She sits down with all the wonderful poeple she has met at CoE and looks around, sighing deeply.
"Ya know, I really like it here. I`m so glad I discovered the Rp forums. I`m having so much fun, cause I read all the forums, and them pick the ones that my single (yes, I have only ONE character, and she`s only in one place @ a time ever ) character might possibly fit in to, considering when it`s happening & all that, & then I tie em all together. it`s great fun"
*looking very pleased with herself, Elena brings back, sipping the cider that PB has brought her during her long self-explanatory speech. suddenly relising that she`s behaving vewry oddly, she giggles.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: February 03, 2003 03:37
If you don't want to post with a specific person, and they PM you, then you have the right to deny them admittance into the RP, I think, as long as you're basing it on good grounds, and not just "I don't like you." For me, I'd consider decent grounds to be: character doesn't fit with the basis of the story (and people have multiple characters, so dont' base it on one instance), the RP is full (use sparingly, or people will seriously stop believing you), etc.

If you're not going to accept 99.999999238% of the people in the RP forum, don't even bother putting (PM to join) anywhere (see second gripe of day below...). In that case, just PM the members you WANT to join (i know, sounds like work doesn't it? I feel bad, really I do), and say that the RP is full or something.

Here's another thing (oh I'm full of fun things today....) - Thread Titles. I don't know about anything else, but when I see a thread with a title, followed by (((PM to join with your profile, date of birth, family tree, entire RP History, and last years tax statement - not everyone will be accepted, in fact, you probably won't be))), I don't even bother to look at it, as I'm turned off from the start. Can't all that be said within the first post, and not in the title?

*goes to sit at a table so she can start filling out a 350-question survey so she can join an RP about living in Mirkwood, even though her character is from Mirkwood....*

(alright, you know it's all exaggeration for effect, but the basis is true, and the problems do exist)

[Edited on 4/2/2003 by Ringhilwen]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: February 04, 2003 06:18
Happy Hobbit comes back into the pub, the glasses she washed are put back onto the shelves, and the bar is looking neat and tidy ready for the next day.

Okay well thank you to everyone who responded to our discussion, from your comment I see that we have a slight problem here in the CoE Role Play Forum.

I think then we should first look at the way threads are labeled:-

Free

Free means anyone can join at any time and providing they do not try to totally take over the thread they can post. These threads are often the fun threads as things happen that are not planned and people react to those events.

Scripted

Scripted means the thread has a set story, people can join but should PM the origional poster to find out the threads direction and if there are special requirements such as certain times they can enter.

These threads are often very carefully thought out planning taking place by e-mails, PM's or OOC thread. Please respect the origional posters comments. If asked to be a Hobbit joining the thread then dont enter as a dragon unless the origional poster has agreed you can.

Finally

Finally no RP should be closed to any member, tho for an RP to work it may be necessary to limit the main characters. An example of this is a thread based on the Fellowship, if there are nine main characters then a tenth person might be asked to wait and post say as Elrond or Faramir, or even as the people the Fellowship meet along the way.

If you see a thread and its not what you want to post in then please feel free to start your own rather than disrupt someone elses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have tried to define these as best I can if you think you have a better way to word them then please tell me.

What all the RP Mods want is that are Members enjoy the RP Forum. If there is a problem we can help with please let us know.
Linwe
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2003 07:02
I have noticed a little. I think it is sad when a thread ends for reasons that are not so obvious too. I am not ready to join a scripted thread yet, i know I am not ready. I would definatley not try to join one that had such rules.

I get a little intimidated even through some of the free RPs, because of sub-plots which are great mostly because that is what an RP is suppose to be, but the threads are dominated by certain characters. Although this is attributed mainly to my lack of experience and confidence, I think I tend to bow out or wait for a while. Just my thoughts. Sorry for rambling on about a lot that has already been said. Can I get another pint please?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 04, 2003 07:51
linwe i was exactely the same as you to start with. the scripted ones were super scary as i didnt feel confident and nor did i know any of the players.

i foudn the best thing to do was to join up with some of the pubs, we also had a swimming pool type thing, that was fun and some other role plays where you just hung out.

that got me to konw some people and i was eventually persuaded to join a semi scripted thread.... then when that finished collaberated to start my own.

all i can say is dont be worried about the scripted RPs- they sound kinda scary but certainly in the ones i know of they still allow plenty of chance for character development and fun.
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2003 11:28
If you don't want to post with a specific person, and they PM you, then you have the right to deny them admittance into the RP, I think, as long as you're basing it on good grounds, and not just "I don't like you."

That was the way it was with me. I can honestly say I don't dislike anyone here. When I wrote "not all will be accepted" it was more on the lines that I thought certain people who have a certain style of RPing may not fit with the storyline. For example in the thread I was rather everyone was weak compared to a certain foe I had created, so I didn't think it would be a good idea to let in the sort of people who would flick the enemy away like an insect. If you get my meaning. Now its been brought to my attention that I am not supposed to do this I shall of course never do it again.

I think maybe the one who starts a thread should have more power over it...basically it's their dream...least for me it is, it's something I take seriously. You get a sense of pride from a well done RPG,a sense of being part of something more. People don't seem to get that as much anymore.

I agree. I do take my RPs very seriously. Probably another reason why I said PM to join and not all will be accepted. Too many times have I seen good threads/had my own thread run to the ground after being hijacked, and it is sad. But anyway.. I shall drop the subject now.. as I said before, now I am aware that its not acceptable to stop people from entering I shall make sure I never do so again.

Thank you to all the mods - keep up the good work
Yoshomika
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2003 06:21
Hey hey Yeah umm.......... oh yes PotbellyHairyfoot wanted me to ask about the number of posts-per thread per day and total per day. what do you think about it?
Tenemswe
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2003 12:20
Hi, I was just reading the October 25 Newsletter and I saw about the ME High School RPG. It looked really funny, and I would love to read it (not necessarily post on it or anything). But I can't find it! Where is it?
-Thanks!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 06, 2003 04:36
Unfortunately ME high school closed down and was recently deleted. We periodically eliminate old threads to make more room for new ones.
here's that cider - Elena- sorry I took so long.
Is anyone going to try answering Yosho's question about the appropriate number of times to post each day- both in a thread and in total in the entire forum? Yosho wants to be a better RPer and is looking for advice here.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 06, 2003 08:17
well, we have over 100 people posting each day, probly? so if each person posts two times a day ,that's still 200 posts for the mods to read.(Another reason to write them well....the mods should at least get a bit of enjoyment in their job, I'm sure it's incredibly hard to read countless posts) And most people I know post more than twice a day.

I'd say the most you should need to post would be 4 times a day, on four different threads. Most reasonable threads only demand a post a day. And if you're bored, there is MUCH more to this site than the RPG forum.

Ask not what CoE can do for you, but what you can do for CoE!
Yoshomika
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2003 01:11
ok Thanx.
sofia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2003 06:58
Wow, I had no idea the moderators read everything! do you know how amazing you are?

I've got a few questions about general RPG customs... if I have a character in two or three threads at once (assuming this is OK, of course...) does what happens in one thread affect the character in the others? For example, in one thread I aquired a sword, and in another I am swordless. In one I am travelling Middle-Earth; in another I am staying in one place. Was I not supposed to do this?

Second question... do rpg threads ever end, or do they continue forever?

Third question... if/when a quest is completed and an RPG thread is over, does what has happened there apply to the character for the rest of their RPG'ing? Two characters in one RPG that I am in just got married; will they be married for the rest of the time they are RPG'ing or when/if a thread is over, is its history also over?

Sorry for all the questions; I've not done RPG before! thanks, you fabulous moderators!
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 09, 2003 08:43
I can answer that a bit, methinks....correct me if I'm wrong....but I think it's just up to your preference. You get to chose, it's all make believe anyway...as long as you don't go from hobbit to elf to dwarf in a post or somat, I think it's fine to change slightly from thread to thread. I change age, often...really just a matter of preference.

that being said, a big congragulations to our two new mods, Andaariel and Syriana!! :love: :love: :love: You guys do a great job of keeping this forum ship-shape and solving whatever problem comes your way...

May the hair on your toes,never fall out!

wait....

Aranel_Laivinelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 07:40
Hi everyone! *waves*

I just thought that it might be nice to have a family tree type thing thread going on...so when people make characters that are supposed to be kin to other characters, they could reference the list, so that their character will not imitate another character, or steal another character's position...and they would recognize their kin if they were in the same RP thread...what do you guys think?
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 10:15
Brings sofia, a glass of wine and Pips a pint, well now lets see,

It is fine to have your character in several threads.

It is also allowed that your Character have different skills in different threads, they may even acquire new skills during a thread, for example your character could learn archery or healing.

It is best if a named character keeps her / his identity for example Happy Hobbit will always be a Hobbit whatever thread she is in.

Do rpg threads ever end, or do they continue forever?

Yes they do end, sometimes they can lead to another thread being started, sometimes not it all depends on the posters in the thread and what new ideas may be formed as the thread developes.

If/when a quest is completed and an RPG thread is over, does what has happened there apply to the character for the rest of their RPG'ing?

If you would like your character to reflect the threads they have been in then thats fine if not then it does not matter. Its really up to you.

Aranel_Laivinelen hands Aranel a glass of wine, Well now a family tree, mmm sounds very ambitious but it may be possible. Why not have a try.

Illadria
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 06:59
Suilad to all!

I am new to The Council of Elrond, and have just found my way onto the Roleplaying board. Looks like fun and I'm eager to join.

I don't know if this has already been addressed, but the link to the Roleplaying Character database is not working correctly. It seems minor...it's picking up a few extra characters. After a few deletions it does open.

Navaer,
Illadria
Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 11:38
One of the new mods stumbles in through the front door.
Goes over to the bar and grabs herself a pint.

Welcome Illadria,I am sure you will have a good time here at CoE.
It is odd that the database is not working correctly with you,cause in my honest opinion it is working fine...Well,I do not have such a good technical mind so maybe the other mods know what is going on.:blush:

Syriana hands Illadria an ale.

I just thought that it might be nice to have a family tree type thing thread going on...so when people make characters that are supposed to be kin to other characters, they could reference the list, so that their character will not imitate another character, or steal another character's position...and they would recognize their kin if they were in the same RP thread

I have to go with HH on this one,it is possible to try...but since the amount of Greenleave´s present in the forum,not imitating other characters or not stealing their position will be difficult.
Illadria
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2003 07:07
*Illadria thanks Syriana for the ale and for the kind words.*

And now I have another question - I am trying to post a picture, but there are too many pixels. Is there anyway around that, or does anyone know how I can adjust the size of the picture? Thank you.

*Illadria signals the barkeep and asks Syriana if she's ready for another.*

Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: February 11, 2003 07:44
Walks over to Illadria and hands her another ale.

Okay,IMO there is no way around the rule of the pic size.You can adjust the size of the pics with any good editor,like for example Photoshop.

Heads back to the bar and sips her pint.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: February 11, 2003 10:49
Actually, if you check out the forum FAQ, listed here, you can see that there is a way to adjust the size of pictures you post in a forum thread. However, if you want to post a picture in the character database, you will have to resize it to be no larger than 350x350. You can do this, as Syriana said, with any photo/image editing program, such as Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or even simply Microsoft Paint, available on most PC's.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2003 12:18
If i join someone's thread and its scripted,and the author doesnt participate very actively,is it then right to exlclude me from the thread for writing more than him,although iam not ruining the script?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 02:02
Eomer its really difficult to tell without the specifics.

scripted role plays are role plays set up by a person or group of people that follow a set story line. if you have a character that matchs the story (for instance in our silmarillion role play we wont allow any hobbits..) and you are keeping in line with the "script" there shoudlnt be a problem.

if you feel you are being unfairly treated please please contact the role play mods theres lot of them and they are friendly and helpful and its part of the modding job, unoftunaly the role play mods cant always tell when there is a problem... having so many threads to read, so they can only help if you point things out to them. dont be afriad of contacing them if you are having a problem its what they are there for!!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 06:38
Hands Eomer Eadig a large mug of mulled cider.
That's a complicated question. I'd have to say that unless you are posting excessively ( but you don'tusually post in each thread more than once or twice each day) or are hijacking a thread, you shouldn't be removed from a thread you have been posting in.
In any case the originator of thread does have some say as to the plot and storyline of the RP but does not have the right to remove someone from a thread.
If someone is having a problem with the posts of another member they should first discuss the matter by PM and if that does't resolve the problem they should then get in contact with one of the moderators. We will then try to resolve the problem.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 01:55
I wasnt really removed,but rather rudely told that i must quit posting because iam ruining the script.But now it doesnt matter anyway because i left that thread and am starting another one for myself and some other friends.Thank you,you have been very kind.
Zyolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 11:45
is there a way to get 2 RP characters married
avaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 05:16
Hi,
I was the other person with Eomer that was rudely told to quit the thread cos we were, supposedly, ruining the story line. Also in that same thread a friend of mine joined and didn't PM the person first. It was her very first time doing RP ing. She didn't know she had to PM him or even what it was she also didn't know what scripted meant. He publically(meaning he wrote in his post that everyone could see) told her to basically get lost. She got punished for not understanding. I wrote the appolagy note to him as she didn't know what she had done wrong. She never did RP again cos of that.
When he wrote to me telling me to quit his thread he brouht this up and said that this was my fault and that I am now ruining his thread AGAIN. It was very rude and unfair.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 10:13
guys i cant emphasise this enough... the mods are not here just to yell at you for doing wrong they are here to help as well.

as you can see from the last few posts... you may not be the onlly one having a problem with another player.

you may be like well fair enough.. i will just go elsewhere i dont want to make a fuss becuase even if it was sorted i wouldnt re join. but its worth thinking about the ohter players in the thread too.

the mods try their hardest to spot trouble. but sometimes its just impossible.

please please get hold of them with a problem. im sure they would rather you did this than for the problem to grow and new people to feel unwelcome on the board.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 02:08
Happy Hobbit comes back into the bar placing a note saying

Todays Chef special :- Stew & Dumplings, Crusty Bread and Coffee

Gatheriing orders from the customers she comes over to

Zyolas
is there a way to get 2 RP characters married

Definitely, there have been weddings in the RP forum before. Providing you follow the basic board rules and the RP Forum rules only your imagination limits what you do.

Taking her list back towards the kitchen Happy Hobbit spot a new arrival. Goes over to welcome her to the Rusty Pail.

"May I take you order please?"

avaya

Hi,
I was the other person with Eomer that was rudely told to quit the thread cos we were, supposedly, ruining the story line.

and

She never did RP again cos of that.

What can I say except that had we know we could have helped if you still need help then send a PM and we will try to work through this with you. Please ask you friend to get in touch so we can try to help her feel at home in the RP Forum.

Guys i cant emphasise this enough... the mods are not here just to yell at you for doing wrong they are here to help as well.

Thanks K well said.

Please please if you have problems let the RP Forum Mods know. There are now more of us. We have time and we are all willing to help.
avaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 03:33
I have decided to just leave the thread with Eomer.There is no point provoking a situation into getting worse when I am just as happy to leave that thread. Sorry for sounding so angrey. It's just that I was really mad at that person for treating my friend with such disrespect and then blaming me. Me and Eomer are going to make our own thread that is much better than that one. I will ask my other friend to join if she likes. Thanks for being so understanding.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 16, 2003 08:32
-asks the waittress to bring Eomer_eadig and Avaya each a soothing mug of Cocoa.-

You have a right to be upset. Anyone that doesn't post in an RP for a week shouldn't really be surprised if the storyline is off from the original script. Is evryone just suposed to wait and not post until that person finally gets around to updating? Was anyone sent a synopsis to explain what was supposed to happen while the originator didn't post?
Its no wonder it took us so long to figure out where all this was going on. The story seemed to be proceeding just fine. I honestly feel that you two did nothing wrong and made the best of a bad situation. I applaud you both for just going on and starting a new story rather than force the other person to admit that maybe things could have been handled better.

Hooray for you two. ( And I've sent both a PM and an email to the other person and asked her to please give us another try)
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 06:00
One note on scripted threads...

PM to join means you PM the person, and ask to join. THen you wait for their go-ahead in a replying PM.

it is not, PMing to notify the person. It is PMing to ask. Please wait for the person to PM you back, saying yes (or no, and the reasons why) until you post.

^^; no sweat if you made the mistake, it's just to let you know.
annunvingiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2003 03:23
*annunvingiel enters, dropping off her character at the door*

i don't know if this has been discussed or suggested before, but oh well. i was wondering if it would be possible to have a button down at the bottom of peoples' posts to view their rpg character profile. i know there's a button for normal profiles, but an rpg profile might be nice. that way people could view someone's rpg profile without having to go to the main database and wait for everything to load. just an idea, i don't know if it's possible.

also, i didn't know that there were so many people with rpg problems. the rps i've been in have been friendly...so friendly i was able to create my own with some people from them.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email