Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
foshpickle~greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: April 16, 2003 05:25
Beleg- thank you muches. Ah, yes the whole nick thing, I must say I get that alot......
Athelwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2003 05:10
*Walks into bar and sits down.*

"Excuse me, could I please have an ale?"

Ok, this is only like, my first time doing roleplay, so like, could anyone please give me the basics? :blush:
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: April 18, 2003 12:24
This silent mod has been hiding corner with his 2 gallon coffee mug. But when the coffee runs out, it must be filled again. Seph fills his mug, but trips over a stool and knocks over a table in the process. He walks to the bar table, fixes up a few drinks, and answers a few questions:

Elvin_Chick: I personally like to limit myself to only several threads, so I can keep up with them. Many people who are pretty busy, and simply can't post in alot of RPs probaly agree with me. There is no set limit to how many RPs you can create, but it's best not to overdo it, for the same reason as above! There is really no indication that your RP is better then theirs, just have good posters that follow the rules and have a good time, thats all you need for a good RP.

Athelwyn: So your looking for the Basics of Roleplay? I'd suggest reading the forum Rules, and reading my Guide in the Newbies forum. Those two resorces should answer most of your questions, but if not, feel free to ask them here!

Seph slowly makes his way back to his corner, and drinks his coffee.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: April 18, 2003 01:10
*stops sweeping in the corner for a moment (forgetting how she got stuck with the janitor's job), and asks...*

"Hey SY, is it always necessary for a thread to have an OOC thread? I've seen a lot popping up recently, especially for threads that haven't even started. Sometimes, they overrun the forum, and push good RP's off the main pages. So, does every thread need an OOC?"
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: April 18, 2003 05:14
Seph jumps out of his corner and reponds to Ring's question:

"All threads to have an OOC? Hardly! OOC's are just a way to organize big threads. When I mean big, I don't mean threads with 3 people. I mean very large threads with 10+ people, either that, or maybe to gather people to the thread as it begins. Its also probaly best to get rid of the OOC when the RP for it ends, so It won't add more flood to the forum.

"Seph runs back into his corner, sulking until another drink is necissary.."
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2003 10:02
What should you do if a thread you're really into is being moved along by, like, one person? I mean, should the originator of the thread pm the people who aren't posting and ask them to withdraw their characters or something?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: April 30, 2003 02:40
That isn't an easy question to answer. Thers are a lot of reasons for posters to fall behind. I am afraid that I can only answer this with some generalities.
Lately a lot of university students have been busy with end of term projects and exams. This could cause them to fall behind
Also it could be that the RP is moving too fast for many posters. It may be neccesary to slow down the pace.A lot of members only post in the threads they are involved in once each day. Is someone trying to hurry the thread along more than they wish to post?
Some members lose interest in a RP and just stop posting in it . This oftens causes a rp to die but if enough posters are still involved the thread can just keep on going without them.
That is just a few of the many possibilities. I guess the best thing for the originator to do is to give the members in question some time to post and if they still don't then politely PM them and ask what is up Reasonable members will be glad to explain what they are doing or why they haven't been posting all that frequently.
This situation is not unique to you. Many of us- myself included- have had threads we were involved in just die out from under us. Sometimes it just happens and the reasons are not always that clear. It may be best, if people aren't posting in a RP anymore, just to let it die off and go on to other RPs .

Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 05:39
I've been warned about posting too much already, but it's beacuse I'm in about 16 RPGs(and growing!). I have time for all of them, maybe too much time for all of them, and I was wondering how I can still post in all of them without being banned. I'm really enjoying all of this! *asks for a rootbeer to drown her sorrows in*
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 12:53
Hmm...sounds good to me! :love:

Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 01:17
GilGalad I think the only solution is not to post in every thread each day. 16 threads is like 4 times your average poster here and if as you say the threads you are joining is still growing then its easy to see that you are soon posting way too many times.

Remember we as Mods have to check every thread and each post. If one member posts excessively the forums take longer to check and so measures have to be taken to keep the amount of posts down to a reasonable level. Being in a large number of threads and posting several times in each is rather selfish.

Just a heads up, posting excessively (Machine gun posting) is not tollerated here and can if it persists lead to a strike, three strikes and you face a temporary ban.

Please do not abuse the RP Forum by excessive posting.

Happy Hobbit RP Forum Mod
Aragorns-Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2003 08:44
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna join in but I have no clue about anything!!! :cry: I am a newbie and i have no clue what threads are or waht an RP is. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!:cry:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 03, 2003 10:16
In the Newbie's Forum is a thread called "Master(sadistic)Yoda's Role-Playing Tips/Training". You might want to read that which will give you some good ideas about Role Playing. Then go to the Role Playing (RPG) Forum and read some of the stories. Some you can jump right into which have "free" in the title. Others you need to PM (Private Message) the owner before you join. Hope this helps. :love:
ElenaTheWarrior
Journals Moderator
Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 12:29
*Walks in the door, trying desperately to separate herself from Elena, who is clinging to her like the world is ending. Finally, she manages it, and stands up, shaking.*
"Phew. This is really weird, except for the Journals, I've never been at the CoE without my character"
*looks longinly back at Elena, who is sitting crumpled and dejected outside the door. Takes a step towards her, but just then someone grabs her arm and pulls her over to a barstool*
"Well, as long as I'm here and it's really me, I'm underage, so I guess...could I have a DR Pepper?"
*Looks around*
"Hello all!"
Pinky_the_Lucky_Balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 06:04
Roawr . Roawr. Roawr.:evil::evil:

*asks for a nice ale wit some kick.*
Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: May 19, 2003 10:05
As you may have noticed the poll "What do YOU want in a RPG????" has been removed, but I will place the results of it in here...

Results:

~ 25 % voted for a good plot
~ 17 % voted for more consistant posts
~ 16 % voted for romance
~ 10 % voted for Humor
~ 10 % voted for Other
~ 8 % voted for Adventure
~ 5 % voted for Action
~ 5 % voted for Just wandering around Middle-Earth
~ 5 % voted for a Scripted RPG
~ 0 % voted for More people in it

The people who voted for other and posted in the thread gave as most returning answer a better character development.

Okay, I think this is the most important that we should remember from this poll. I hope this information can be used to the well being of the RP forum...
annunvingiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 09:04
hey, i was wondering about something. i've subscribed to several rps so that i get e-mails every time someone posts, but i haven't been getting the e-mails recently. is this something that might've happened the other day when the server crashed, or is it just my e-mail?

please let me know so i can make sure it's not my e-mail acting up (i really don't want to get a new one). sere mi eru...lsoa
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 10:50
*Saurid sits in the corner sipping coffee, for the hour is late and she is pretty tired*

I have come across a similar thing. Try going to "Profile" [The one under 'you are logged in as..' bar]. At the bottom you have a list of subscriptions, check if the thread is there. If it is not, you may need to susbscribe again by checking the 'receive e-mail notifications' box under the edit box.

*Goes back to the corner, dreaming of a warm bed and soft pillow*
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 01:18
whoa whoa whoa umm NenyaGold, do you really have 2 pm the owner b/4 posting anything???? b/c i ahvent been doing that.....:dizzy: actually any1 knowing the answer, i would greatly appriciate a post.:blush: and if its all right, can i have a rootbeer do think bout all this over?? looks hopefully @ the lovely waiters....
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 01:22
uhhh sry bout that yall i thought i wz talkin to a completely dif. person.... n/m anyways, i am somwat a newbie, so...

:dizzy:

confused...
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 01:42
*The almost falling asleep yet ever willing to help barmaid slowly raises from the chair and puts the mug on the bar. She pulls a small paper, bearing the marks of coffee and other drinks of any sort out of her pocket, and thoughtfully studies it for a moment. Taking a deep breath, she hands a rootbeer to SayenElfJedi.*

Free - those RPs usually are going the way posters lead it, so all you have to do is fit your character into what is currently going on - with no need to PM the person who started the thread. On the contrary, Scripted [or semi-scripted] threads usually have some plot, at least the basic storyline is planned, so it would be best to PM the originator before joining - simply because they may eg. have already all the characters they need. Perhaps asking the thread owner will result in them preparing the room for you to fit in - and then you are sure that you will be welcome. It also makes the joining easier for you - since the owner can fill you in by giving you the outline of the story.

Also, nowadays many RPs have OoC threads even before they begin - if you wish to join such thread, post in OoC to let the thread owner know that you wish to participate.

As to the question if it is necessary to send the PM... It is *polite* Imagine you have planned the whole story [talking about Scripted here] - when someone joins unexpectably, it may cause a bit of trouble. And I do not think it presents such a great problem to send a PM

*Saurid gets herself more coffee and sits back in the corner. Few more hours til Sunrise.*

[Edited on 24/5/2003 by Saurid]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 02:53
Just a little more advice learned from experience: if you start your own RP and it says Free in the title, but you get going and really can't accommodate any more people, change the title by removing Free and adding PM To Join. You can change the title by editing your very first post.

Also, if you join an RP, don't just stand around waiting to be taken into the story. Post something that gets you into the story and moves it along. Be creative but at the same time don't change the direction of the story. It is best to read all of the posts before you join the RP so you know where it is heading.

RPing here is SO much fun!!! People are very creative and great RPers! :heart:

Whew! I hope that helps.

Gets off soap box and heads to the bar. May I have a mead, please? :love:
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 03:09
*Saurid nods listening to NenyaGold's true words, then clasps smiling at her. Takes the last order that night, hands a mead to NenyaGold, and bids everyone a peaceful night*
annunvingiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 03:45
Try going to "Profile" [The one under 'you are logged in as..' bar]. At the bottom you have a list of subscriptions, check if the thread is there. If it is not, you may need to susbscribe again by checking the 'receive e-mail notifications' box under the edit box.

i tried that and it still hasn't worked. any other suggestions?
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 06:55
k thanks yall and no one minds if i kinda invite myself in do they? (i skimmed the other posts over 2 c wat has been up wit ya) :::takes a seat at one of the empty tables so she can mull things over::: uhh, can i have some hot tea? make it strong...

ps-wat type of RP is this???:dizzy:
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 11:06
HH who has been cooped up in the Kitchen for the last few weeks finally emerges with a huge pot roast for the customers in the inn.

Says hello to Saurid the newest member of the Staff,

Hi annunvingiel, Well you got me stumped, there's a thread in the Announcements Forum asking for things not working my advice is to ask there.

Hi SayenElfJedi,

Hands him a hot mug of strong tea.

ps-wat type of RP is this

Truely this is not an RP at all but a place to come ask questions about Rping, to find out whats Happening in the Rp Forum, to make announcements or to bring up topics for discussion.

We ask you to leave you characters at the door so we can be sure it is a genuine question, rather than someone RPing.

[Edited on 26/5/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
annunvingiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 01:24
thanks, hh. i'll head straight there....

*runs off quickly in direction of announcements forum*
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: May 30, 2003 06:28
Okays this is just a for your information announcement.

You may start to notice a little star icon Image appearing in your post followed by an Edited by _ _ _

This is nothing to be alarmed by just something the RP Forum Mods are trying out.

I just thought to announce it here so no one is worried we are suddenly editing anything.

If we do need to edit a post we will always send a PM to explain why.

ok just to make this clearer

We the RP Mods are using the star icon to indicate the last post we read when we check a thread. If we actually need to edit something we would PM you to inform you as to why.

At the moment as stated previously this is a system that is being tested. If it proves to be useful then the RP Forum Mods will make a proper announcement to explain fully whats going on.

It is most likely we wont be editing the stars out. Thats why we chose something pretty.

[Edited on 1/6/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 03, 2003 10:46
HH, can we edit the stars and 'edited by...' thingies out AFTER there is another one further down the page?

I'll check back for an answer since other people may want to know, too.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 07, 2003 02:19
*Eloise comes in and stares around her in awe of all the great RPers in the rusty pail before making her way over to the bar and ordering a lemonade*
Not a really important question but i'll ask it all the same. I've not read a lot of RPs but almost all of the charectors in them seem to be good (good as in good and evil not as in amazing- they are that too but that's not what i mean) and my first (and only) charectors a bit on the evil side. Is this ok? She's not off killing people with orcs or anything but she can be a bit rude ( i'm making sure that the other RPers know this is her charector rather than me insulting them) Just wondering if this is against the rules and i should suddenly make her beg for forgiveness before making her a saint.

*Eloise goes to sit in the corner, awaiting her lemonade, her reply, and possibly the news that she's going to have to do a lot of appologising for how evil her charector is*
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: June 07, 2003 09:36
Looking at the weary Bar persons Happy Hobbit goes to fetch a large glass of lemonade and sets it down on Eloise's table.

Right then evil/bad/naughty characters.

First thing to do is to read the Board & RP forum rules, they will help you decide what is definitely not allowed in this RP Forum. We are PG Rated so please post with that in mind.

Bad language, as a rule we would perfer you not to use bad language we will allow the occassional but mild swear word.

Much better is to write that the person yelled a stream of abuse, or to use &^&%890* in the place of a swear word. I think we can all guess the sort of words someone would use in which case there is no need to actually put them on screen.

As long as you have fully explained your Character to the thread origionator or in the introduction to your own thread, I dont see too much of a problem, If you get asked to change something or if it becomes apparent your character does not fit into a role play, you can a decide then what to do. Characters can evolve or you can leave a thread.

As long as people are aware of your charaters traits then you should not have too many problems. But please do stay within the guidelines, Playing a bad character is not easy, but with a little extra care I don't see why you cannot enjoy the RP Forum too.

HH leaves Eloise to enjoy her lemonade,

"Mmm nice idea. I think I'll have a glass too. The kitchen is pretty hot."
Lady~Silivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2003 11:02
I've got a question.. well.. two, actually. 1. Can I have some coffee please, and 2. I don't know if someone already asked this, but can you ask someone to leave your forum if they post short posts continuely or doesn't go by the storyline at all, or just plainly gets on your nerves (i.e. by Godmodding and things like that).

I've never done that before, but I was just wondering.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 15, 2003 03:50
Here's your coffee- if I can pull the pot away from SY- Cream and sugar are on each table.
Your question is about a situation that should be handled politely with delicacy- which happens to be one of my specialties. In the situation you gave as an example I would recommend; 1) a PM to one of the mods explaining the problem and askiing them for suggestions and 2) a politely worded PM to the poster causing the problem explaining what the problem is and if possible including any suggestions to remedy the problem. Note that I usually assume that the member screwing things up isn't aware of the problems caused by his/her posts.
It would also be a good idea to keep copies of any PMs sent out for future reference.

I am also really glad you asked your question!! Similar problems have arisen in the past and on a few occasions the author of the thread in question has sent very nasty PMs to a new member who wasn't aware that a problem even existed. When that happened the author of the thread then became the problem .

If anyone has the urge to send out a nasty message to someone I'd suggest waiting a few miutes to calm down and then sending a polite message. Problems get solved a lot easier if at least one of the parties stays polite.

I hope that my very generalized answer was sufficent and helpful

Lady~Silivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 01:56
Okay. Thank you. *sips coffee* That explains a lot. There was another question I had.. but I can't remember it. And I do have another question (I'm full of confusion)... Is there a limit on how many RPG characters you can have, and do you have to use them all? I'll remember the other question later...
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 12:01
Ok, a question that just occured to me as I was reading through the Movie forum, and this may have already been addressed, but I'm too bloody tired to go looking right now (It's almost 4:00 am here in Alaska!!!), what does topped mean when it is in a title?

*waves her hand to catch a waiter/waitress for a mug of root beer (underage, can't drink ale.)*
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 12:24
*Hands Vana some nice root beer*

Topped basically means that the thread stays at the top of the list no matter if there are new replies regularly or not. This is basically used for threads that are for some reason important and should draw attention, without having to post in them all the time so that they are at the top.
I hope this explains clearly enough If not - I am as tired :evil:

*Saurid gets back to her corner and looks pleadingly at Seph to make her some more coffee before she falls asleep.*
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email