Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Yoshomika
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: February 23, 2003 08:33
Hey guys I'm back again. Quick question, can we have a thread with mild sex?
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 23, 2003 08:49
...this is all IMO...but please, no, please. I for one am on the young side (13) and ... well, all RPGs are to be kept to a PG rating...I don't see where um...THAT is pg....I'm not a mod tho...this is just my opinion.
Tookishbliss
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2003 08:54
Um..I'm going to have to agree with Pips...and I'm 18 even...never when I roleplay, do I want to read narratives of characters um..you know...this stuff you speak of o_o;;
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 24, 2003 12:50
from the sex and violence part of the role play rules:

5)No Nudity or removal of intimate items of clothing in a romantic setting.

6)No specific mention of love making unless referenced in non sexual terms

7)No mention of sexual parts of the body.

No crude or sexually specific jokes.

Yoshomika
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2003 09:02
ok it was my bro's question. Thanx
Frodoslover
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2003 09:24
*A young maiden walks in, looking like she has been through hell and back with her weather beaten cloak and muddy clothes. She takes a seat and waits for a waiter or waitress.*

*Speaks to self in a whisper*

"Nice place."
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 24, 2003 11:45
When it comes to nudity, lovemaking, and/or sexuality I myself use the works of Tolikien as a guideline. There is vitually no writing on any of those topics in any of the works of JRRT- yet his works are still best-sellers. I figure we don't need that type of content here any more than he did. Also, this is a site with a lot of young members and I'd like to think that their parents don't have to worry about what type of content content they'll run across here
In a related note -Nowadays - when I see a movie with my wife and there's a lovemaking scene- we'll look at each other and say the same word -"Filler"- cuz it seems to us that these scenes do nothing to advance the plot and are only put in increase the running time of the film.
[ Goes back to the door and stands beside his soapbax]
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: February 24, 2003 05:11
*pops her head in the door for a moment*

i don't know if this has been discussed or suggested before, but oh well. i was wondering if it would be possible to have a button down at the bottom of peoples' posts to view their rpg character profile. i know there's a button for normal profiles, but an rpg profile might be nice. that way people could view someone's rpg profile without having to go to the main database and wait for everything to load. just an idea, i don't know if it's possible.

I don't think it would be possible to put a link where the rest of the buttons are. The mods/admins get to see some buttons that the rest of you don't, and the space there is pretty full -- there's just no room for another button, I'm afraid. I could put a link in the profile area (i.e. you click the profile button, and there's a link in there that takes you directly to their characters. Or, people could put links in their sigs. I dunno. Any other, better ideas?
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Linwe
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2003 07:28
It would be easier to just put the link in the first post you make, instead of putting it in all the time, unless it changes. Really though, it is so easy to find the characters now that one should be able to find them pretty quickly on their own. It is a good idea though, if it could have been done.
elf_princess
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2003 09:08
In walks a elf_princess and sits beside a person.

Call me Artemis or EP.
Umm...Quick question.
How does and normal user get to be a Mod, Admin or another thing?
Also...Can one thread lead into another by a different user if they have premission by someone else?
Another question...
If at the first opening post of a thread the owner gives premission to kill their character when they are trying to kill someone?

I was just wondering and I might have another question later..But for now that is all I have to ask.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 01, 2003 02:16
That is a lot to answer so here is a mulled cider for you while I trry to answer everything
Moderators for a forum are generally selected based on the recommendations made by the mods already in that forum. They try to recommend members that they are familiar with and appear to have the best interests of the site in mind. Admins are selected in much the same way, except that the positions are often advertised on the site. That is a very generalized answer, but it is hard to be more specific.
Now then, if you are looking for a position on sequels and spinoffs I can say that Ithink that they are a great idea. Heck, the Stay Awhile Inn has led to 5 spinoffs and one prequel.
The Killing of characters in RP is generally frownd upon, as is any other excessive violence. It can be allowed, provided that itis essential to the plot and all of the rules are being followed.
I hope this comes close to answering your questions.
AzniNtEgRaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2003 12:16
hmmm... hey. Can I had some wine. Got in a fight between some Humans... kept saying they were Turin and Beren...
Vaticus
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2003 10:44
a small child looking creature walks in. he is all smiles.

I'd like your stongest ale, watered down to about your weakest.

I was wondering, how do you make a RP character profile? I can't seem to find out how. Also, how does one go about starting a thread?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 12, 2003 01:38
Watering down - not here- we run a somewhat respectable establishment.
The RPG profile thread is now locked- Because we now have a better system. If you look above thie threads you will see "RPG Characters" Clicking on that will get you into the new database and you can add your new character there.
To start a new thread you just click where it says "new topic"
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: March 13, 2003 05:23
NenyaGold had been in the neighborhood nearly a month when she finally decided it was time to drop into the Rusty Pail Pub. She slipped in, passed by an empty soap box and sidled up to the bar. “An ale with a lime wedge, please.” She ordered from the bartender. In one pocket she had brought some compliments and in the other a couple of questions. She thought it best to begin with the compliments.

“This is the finest place in the world for those of us who are possessed by JRRT. I say possessed because I like to think it isn’t our fault.” She winked at the bartender. “Thank you very much for keeping it so!”

Then she pulled out a question. “Do the Mods REALLY read EVERY post? And if so, do they read them as soon as they are posted to a particular thread or when a few posts have been made?” Realizing that she had asked two, er three questions, she gulped her ale. “Mmmm, mighty fine!” She commended the bartender. :love:

She hauled out a question about avatars and laid it on the bar but it ran around in circles until she looked about and saw she was in the wrong forum for it so she grabbed it and stuffed it back into her pocket.

She drew out another question. “On the page where all of the thread titles are listed there are two columns, one for the number of replies and one for the number of views. Do the views include when a Mod reads the post?” She knew these were inconsequential questions but she had been curious about them. She also knew that these were the most patient of Mods and had been very helpful before, here and at other pubs in the area. In her mind, they were AWESOME!

She decided it was best to take her ale, find a corner to sit in and wait patiently for the answers. But before she left, she thanked the bartender profusely, drew out the rest of her compliments and piled them on the bar to be shared by all of the magnificent Mods in this pub!:heart:
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: March 13, 2003 06:50
HH wanders in from the kitchen changing the menu from Stew to Shire pasties.

Stepping over to Nenya's table she attempts to help hercatch the Avatar question before answering her questions.

“Do the Mods REALLY read EVERY post?

Yupp we do, between us we try to read every one each day.

do they read them as soon as they are posted to a particular thread or when a few posts have been made?”

Well that really depends on how busy the forum is and when the posts are made. We try not to let them get too long, but sometimes we get wrapped up in a story and, err it takes longer to read than others, and some of us are on slow connections so we cant read so many quickly.

taking a couple of orders HH returns to answer the last question.

“On the page where all of the thread titles are listed there are two columns, one for the number of replies and one for the number of views. Do the views include when a Mod reads the post?”

Yes if a Mod reads a post then it is counted as a view.

HH turns to leave graciously accepting one of the compliments.

"Why thank you its a pleasure to serve you, you are welcome back anytime."

[Edited on 30/4/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: March 14, 2003 01:50
NenyaGold dashed back into the Pub. She had left earlier and was only a little way down the street when she discovered one more question that was wiggling around in her pocket. Although she tried to ignore it, it kept wiggling and bugging her so she figured it would stop only when she brought it back.

“At the bottom of the Master Forum page, there is a list of who is on line. Just a little while ago it said 0 Guests and 21 Members. But, if you check to the left (just below Aragorn’s eyes - someone hand me a towel please!!!) (that photo should NOT come up while I’m trying to concentrate!!!) :blush: it said 90 Guests and 58 Members on line. My question is (Aragorn, stop sidetracking me!!!): What is the difference in these counts?” (Whew! He can be so um, so, um, well, you know…):heart:

Nenya thanks the staff in advance, returns to The Eyes and waits patiently for the answer.
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: March 14, 2003 05:00
Seph leaves his bar duties for a second, and jumps over to Nenya's table, and does his best to answer the question.

What is the difference in these counts?

"Good question! The guests are the people who visit this site without a registered user-name. The Members are the people on the site logged in with their user name. Hope this helps!"
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: March 14, 2003 05:28
*Janitor Ring comes in, and smacks SY with her broom.*

"Actually, Oh Great One, the count to the left, under the random picture block, shows everyone who is on the ENTIRE site at that point in time. The count Nenya was refering to at the bottom of the forum pages, tells how many people are currently in the FORUMS only (excluding journals, gallery, and any other section."

*continues sweeping, and giving SY dirty looks.*
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: March 14, 2003 06:43
Geez, now it's Boromir!!! It takes too darn long to formulate a post when he's staring at Nenya!!! But Nenya wipes her chin, graciously thanks both SadYoda, who is now rubbing his shin, and Ring, reaches deep into her pocket, tosses the rest of her compliments onto the bar and dashes out, afraid of being swept out by the janitor for asking so many questions! Besides, Boromir awaits!:heart:
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2003 08:19
Question:After you post,I sometimes put the name of my thread after it-like 3 lines down.I say like(I have a new thread,...........))L:ike that-Is that allowed?

*May I have rootbeer?*
~Niphredil~Greenleaf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2003 01:51
*stumbles over to a table*
phheeewww!!! this is such a great thread!! too bad I didn't see it before it got to be so large!! I put myself to reading every post!! its taken me at least an hour!!
Its seems to be really crowded in here!! (do you need anymore bar maids??? LOL!!!!!

I don't really have a question, more of a comment/complaint:
when people post, sometimes they put little phrases in elvish like ummm "havo dad lithienanan...." (i just made up the name) I think its great and all I personally LOVE elvish but if you post elvish please put it translated into english!! it can really confuse other rpers if they don't know what you mean!!
example....what if ithienanan didn't know what "havo dad" meant, she wouldn't know what you wanted her to do!!!!

oh! by the way could I have a glass of beer,... rootbeer that is!!

Niphredil
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2003 04:12
*iar pokes head round the door, then wanders in and has a seat in a corner, asks if someone will bring her a coffee*

I'm slighty new here, as in never been in RPG before (that's why she needs coffee) and i have a question:
Is there a limit as to how many posts you can do in a day? I know that if you post too often then you can get banned, but is there a specific number before you cross the line? Or is it generally just loads of posts...
*sitting in corner waiting patiently for coffee and help from the lovely staff. Waves to NG cos agrees with her*
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: March 22, 2003 05:31
Happy Hobbit wanders over with large mugs of coffee,

She takes a seat as she is ratjer weary from a long night baking and cooking, now then lets see,

Leggal99
Puting a note to other threads hummm well theres no reason why you cannot do that occassionally but personally I would think it better not to, the reason being that most people read a thread for the story, and OOC coments, I am now in ***** thread often break the story and so are not really welcome. However you could pop it in your Sig, as long as that does not make it longer than three lines.

~Niphredil~Greenleaf~ I think thats an excellent idea, not only does it help us to understand whats happening but it helps you to practice Elvish.

iarfalaswen Hands iar a coffee, firstly you dont get banned if you over post, you get warned, in fact you get two warnings, if you continue to over post you recieve a strike three strikes and you are then looking at a temporary ban. The three strikes system is we think the fairest way to keep the forum a safe and fun place to be.

As for post numbers well we dont have a set figure. Machine gun posting is either in one thread by several people replying back and forth as if they were in a chat window or by one person posting in every single thread, often these are one or two sentances, but some times only one or two words in length and they do little to tell the story. We prefer to see people making fewer more detailed posts perhaps a paragraph or so.

Also if you post twice in four or five threads that would not be thought of as excessive. Remember there are a huge number of People in this RP forum and the RP Moderators have to read each post made, at least thats what we attept to do. So far we have kept this forum as a great place to be.

I hope you find it so.

[Edited on 22/3/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2003 07:39
Thank you very much for your help!

*hugs Happy_Hobbit, gives her her spare pair feet warmers, downs the rest of her coffee, waves toodle-oo to all those present*
You'll be seeing me soon - i hope!
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2003 07:48
Thanks!
*sips her root beer*
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2003 10:38
*a niggling question pops up in her head as she is on her way home, and after much research iar returns to the Rusty Pail in search of answers*

hi i'm back *waves for coffee w/ whipped cream*
I have yet another question, and i hope that the staff won't chuck me out for asking too many questions. Here goes:
In creating my character i want to give her the power to transform into a wolf, but would this be classed as Godmodding? Is transforming even allowed? :dizzy:

*waits quietly in corner admiring the deco and wondering what the delicious smells are emiting from the kitchen, and all the levers are for behind the bar*
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 23, 2003 06:05
One- Cafe Mocha- with whipped cream - coming up-
It's not -completely- Godmoding -to me. After all Beorn could shape-shift and there was also some shape-shifting in The Silmariiillion.
But in a lot of RP's . especially in the TT subforum, it would be considered a form of godmoding if no other characters in the RP have the ability and it gives your character an unfair advantage over them..
I guess that the best thing to do would be to check with the author of the RP and see if that type of character is acceptable to the plot.
OOC- LOL that was a real "Elvish " answer- both yea and nay..
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2003 08:54
Thank you PotbellyHairyfoot! I'll check out carefully all threads before i join.

*slurps rest of coffee, plonks big pile of change on counter and slips out quietly of the very nice Rusty Pail*
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2003 04:04
*walks into the pub, a little nervous. Drops her RP character at the door, pouting a little, as she really likes her rp lady. Takes a seat and asks for a mug of tea before having her say.*

Hey all, I just wanted to thank all the mods (I know this has been done before, but I wanted to thank them personally) for putting up with our mistakes as we (or at least me) learn how to write half-way decently. Thanks again.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: March 27, 2003 11:01
Happy Hobbit is taking a break from the kitchen, the smell of newly baked bread drifting in through the kitchen door.

Pouring a cup of fresh tea for Vana she sits at her table.

Some of our best RPers were those who felt they couldnt RP, some of the best plots are from people who have gone through the forum making mistakes now and again, from those mistakes ideas on how things work best have grown.

This forum is perhaps the one place where if you stay within the rules your imagination can be free, there are no real wrongs or right ways to role play. If your RP is good it will grow and last and people will enjoy it if not it will fail and eventually fall into the fires of Mordor.

Part of the pleasure of Moding this RP Forum is to see people grow in the way they post. Everyone makes mistakes, I did for certain, but they don't matter if you learn from them. Most important is to enjoy your time here, and if asked to help when it is needed.

Thanks Vana.
Keeper_of_Insanity
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2003 06:00
*walks in and takes a seat*
*really bad fake Australian accent* G'day all! *waves*
Hope y'all remember me

*stops with the accent*

So what's new in the forum?
foshpickle~greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2003 09:02
*Walks in and sits down*
Root beer please?

ALright. I have two questions: Happy Hobbit what exactly is a huggle? and when your in an RP and your character falls in love with this other person's character, and then people kind of stop poting, well, sometimes does it get people angry when the whole story seems to be revolvong aroun just 2 people? I dont want to make anyone in my story mad, but they havent posted for a while, so just asking if that sometimes happens.....
Beleg_Strongbow
Master marksman, and ancestor to that Greenleaf kid
Send Message
on: April 16, 2003 05:25
*drops off the SB at the door, well, actually in a tree for him to sit in, and steps in, ordering an orange smoothie*

*waves to everyone*

foshpickle (might I say I find that nick really amusing )--

A huggle is a hug, basically. Or should I say Happy_Hobbit's version of a hug. Great stuff. ;D She's the keeper of them, ya know.

Secondly, yes, alienation of two characters falling in love does happen. In fact, I'm slightly worried about that happening in my own thread, but I don't think it's a huge threat. I'm not sure if it angers people, but it will make them lose interest if their character doesn't have a prominent part in the rp that they were invited to/asked to participate in. And when that happens, you lose participants, and you lose steam for your thread, and it will more than likely end up as a dead (is that the right lingo?) or stale one. Don't want that to happen, right?

I suppose the best thing to do about that is start up an OCC post and address your concerns, or pm the people that aren't posting. Or just take it slow with the characters that are to fall in love -- in my thread we're doing that. Slow as molasses, actually...that's darn slow, too. ;D

Hope that helps, and that I didn't talk your ear off.
Elvin_Chick
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2003 12:26
* Sits at empty bar stool, " May I have an ale, please?"

Ok so I am in like 11 RP's but I post like really long relpys in all of them and I really like them all. So is that bad to be in so many?? Are you only supposed to join like 3 or 4?? just wondering...

Also Is there a limit to how many characters that you can make? I have 4 is that too many?? Cause I have fun with them all... so yeah..um just wondeirng about these things..thanks 4 listening, hope that I wasn't too much of a bother...lol

and, one more question..sorry, how can you tell if your RP is good or not, I have started a couple, and I guess that they are ok...but then I look at other peoples and their's seem way better than mine... I just don't know how I can make mine seem better..and make my characters seem better...I am just wondering how I am doing:love:...lol

[Edited on 16/4/2003 by Elvin_Chick]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email