Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
~GilEstel~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: At the Edge of a Knife (see OOC to join)
on: December 22, 2003 08:45
Alagithildin watched from a distance what was happening,. It did not take her long to see that the Antariel knew Evethire, rather well from what she could tell. Randir shifted and she watched his eyes dart back and forth skimming the faces of those in the bar around them. "Just keep your eyes down, Antariel knows this elf, she'll tell us when we are needed, but until then, we'll stay were we are." Alagithildin said softly, barly moving her lips. Randir nodded slightly then lowered his gaze into his cup of ale. Antariel walked over and sat down next to them, Alagithildin watched her from the corner of her eye. Antariel surveyed those around them somewhat nervously, then as she took her cup Alagithildin heard her whisper "What do you think of this Evethire and his journy?" Alagithildin drew a deep breath then sighed, "I think he is trusworthy, but I sence great danger in his quest, someone is trying to stop him from completing it. If you care for him, we will follow you and help whenever possible." she looked into Antariels eyes, "We will come if you ask us, do not be afraid to do so, because we are more than willing to aid this elf." Randir nodded agian at these words.

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by CarolP]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 02:33
(Ok, I'm going to add a bit on to what happened before, so we'll all have something more to work with in our little company. I hope this is all okay, Arwen!)

"No real adventure," Levi responded, "although there may be something I can discuss with you. Just walked around and picked up a few pieces of...information, shall we say."

Raen heard the shound of shouting, and wandered towards the room where Ari had gone off to, just in time to hear the last of what she had been saying.

He looked in to see Ari and Sila sitting down, and stepped inside of the room to see what had been happening in there. The others, are far as he knew, were still outside.

"Ari.." he said, looking in uncertainly. "Is everything alright?"

Ari didn't answer him for a minute, she wasn't so angry anymore. She got up and walked slowly over to him over to him, and he put his arms around her.

"Why can't you just once not set anything on fire or rob anyone or kill anyone? Why can't you just be honest, for once?" Ari said quietly. "Why couldn't you just buy a few horses?"

Raen started to respond, but Ari cut him off.

"That's not all. I want to know exactly where we are going, why we are going, and what you are planning to do with Sila? I don't want anyone else to die because of you or Levi feeling like some fun. Can you maybe manage no more fires for a while?"
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 03:43
(((Thanks elfgirl!! I got to the point where Raen asks 'And what of yours?' and my mind went blank....... It was really bad.....)))

Aidem stayed where he was seated as Levi pulled Raen aside. He guessed he would be told much of whatever it was they were saying later.

((Uh.... sorry, but Aidem's still outside, and well, he'll be told much of what they were saying later. -shrugs- )))

Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 10:41
This man was a challenge to fight against. He had power but something made his eyes flicker. It was to guards passing by. Just a section was all Evethire heard "Iron Hills" Something triggered in his angered head. It seemed to interest the man of Rohan also. He looked over at them.
Evethire didn't care, all he was worried about was the harp but he didnt think this man was a true foe to kill.
Their blades held fast. It was tempting for Evethire just to drop his knife. It was true, he wasn't being at all elf like, he didnt even know of this mans business, or his meanings. Then a thought hit him "You wont just let any stranger win."
The strength was equally balanced and it did seem unfair as the harp was being held by this man. "Im sure it is proving a problem" Evethire imagined.
Suddenly a door creaked with use and shut with a thud. The man turned towards the din. Evethire's knife slid quickly down the mans blade and nearly cut this poor mans face.
This was a loss for both races. The harp cascaded for holding onto the hard ground. It didnt break as Evethire had feared but instead sang shrilly some pretty chords. Evethire's elvish ears had only witnessed this once before but he bearly remembered when. The harp opened on a side. Evethire looked at the man, he didnt bare to move fear of an attack. The man stared down at the harp.
For the first time Evethire noticed Eorlas and realised Altariel was missing. He frowned at Eorlas who strode over.
Evethire felt a temptation to kneel down and pick it up. It had some power of its own. Though the man did so first. Evethire followed suite. It seemed to be containing something, a piece of paper but it was blank it was discovered as they pulled it out. Eorlas stepped forward.
"Thats written in moon-letters" Evethire announced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I think he is trusworthy, but I sence great danger in his quest, someone is trying to stop him from completing it. If you care for him, we will follow you and help whenever possible." she looked into Altariels eyes, "We will come if you ask us, do not be afraid to do so, because we are more than willing to aid this elf." Randir nodded agian at these words.

Altariel felt gladness and greatfulness towards Randir and Alagithildin. Her cheeks flushed with slight crimson.
"Evethire had not seen her because he was travelling but why couldn't he travel to se her?" her minds eye spoke sadly.
"Well, it seems it is my duty to go but if you would come I would cherish it terribly." she grinned, "but you dont have to, as you say it probably will be dangerous."
Suddenly a gust of wind blew the door that was not properly shut open to show Evethire and the man from afar striding in followed by Eorlas. Faces did turn as a few minutes ago they had been fighting. Altariel and also Aireon got up and wnet to them.
"So you gave up?"Altariel asked nervously.

[Edited on 23/12/2003 by Gilraen]
Electra
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2003 02:40
(Sorry I have not posted for so long! Thank you very much to GreenEyedElf and Princess_Greenleaf for keeping my character alive!! I hope this is alright, if not please ask me to edit or change the post and I will gladly do so!)

The hem of Aireon’s brown dress ruffled the wood floor of the inn, as the group descended the stairs, and sat at a table. The room was pleasantly lit by the bright sunlight streaming through large windowpanes, giving the wood furniture a golden hue. As the others talked briskly about much from the quest to past relations Aireon gazed about the room. Smiling at old friends who had not seen one another for a long time chatting animatedly to each other, and elderly men sipping steaming coffee while they played a hand of chess, and lovers cuddled in the corner mesmerized with one another. Aireon contented herself again with listening to the others talk, and flashed a smile towards Ëorlas, and took a small sip of the coffee which had been kindly given to her. Ëorlas glanced to her with a look of suspicion.

"I shall return." he said softly enough for only Aireon to hear. Altariel was talking with the other two and they seemed not to have noticed.

A quizzical look crossed her face, but smiled slightly watching as he excited the door. Wanting to follow him, yet thinking better of it, for she wanted not to intrude in his business. Although the curiosity soon got the best of her, and as she started to rise, the door flew open. Evethire’s voice floated in on the wind, accompanied by the man, as they stepped close to a harp singing heavenly cords, she had heard once before in a song she heard long ago. The rest of the company walked out as well, "So you gave up?"Altariel asked nervously.

Aireon glided to Ëorlas’ side whispering in his ear, “I have heard that song before, only I forget where. Have you-” The blank paper taken from inside the harp took her attention stopping her sentence in mid-stream. “Moon letters” she muttered under her breath. Gazing up at Ëorlas once more her sky blue eyes sparkled with deepness unknown, a smile pursed her scarlet lips looking upon the gallant and intelligent elf, who seemed to give her strength when she had none, and comfort her hidden fears, the reasons she loved to travel with Ëorlas.
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: December 28, 2003 02:30
((Hey I'm back!! I missed you all - hope ya had great Christmas! Thanx you guys did a great job! I'm impressed Hehe not sure where to take it from but here we go anyway!))

"Why can't you just once not set anything on fire or rob anyone or kill anyone? Why can't you just be honest, for once?" Ari said quietly. "Why couldn't you just buy a few horses?"

Raen started to respond, but Ari cut him off.

"That's not all. I want to know exactly where we are going, why we are going, and what you are planning to do with Sila? I don't want anyone else to die because of you or Levi feeling like some fun. Can you maybe manage no more fires for a while?"

Raen looked into Ari's eyes and saw how upset she was. A guilty look spread across his face and for a long time he didn't say anything. He knew that he hadn't stopped to think of anyone's feelings but his own - he never did, but he didn't realise that it troubled Ari so much. He loved Ari and would never do anything to hurt her directly, yet it seemed as though he was hurting her enough as it was. Raen sighed and held her close for a few minutes, still silent. He hadn't exactly paid her much attention at the moment either, being too wrapped up in his new job. He also wasn't sure of what to tell her about the journey. He didn't want to lie to her, but the truth wasn't looking like a good option either. Deciding it was best to tell as much of the truth as he could, he drew back and looked away, his voice grave and unwavering.

"Ari, this is what I am. I can't change from what I have become. I'm not a good law-abiding citizen - I never was. I know that you don't like my profession, but I have to make a living somehow in order to survive. My life isn't always as fun as I make it out to be. If I don't take lives then my own shall be taken, even honest nobles will stop at nothing to see my death." he paused and looked at her briefly before continuing, "I do not steal or murder from my own class. Those that I do can afford it. If I steal a bag of money from a noble of course they are angry but they have more money. They will not starve because of it, whereas if I steal it from someone of my own ranking, their family may starve for a week."

Raen stopped before he made his next statement, knowing that he was about to tread on thin ice, but voiced his opinion all the same. He was no longer his carefree self but grim and severe. "Maybe if the King bothered himself to look at the problems in this city instead of distant wars he might realise that all is not well around here. Some of the sights in this city are horrific, things that nobles of the upper classes would never even know about, things that would haunt you in your dreams. Some of what I have seen is worse than hell. I may be an assassain but there are worse things than murder around my part of the city. You are safe in this region city because of my bad reputation. Anyone under my protection shall remain unharmed. Without it I would dread to think of what might become of you." his eyes softened slightly, "Most nobles eyes are veiled from what goes on around here, but I can show you what really happens, then you might not think so distastefully of what I do."

"Remember, I grew up here alone since I was born. I had no one to watch over me. There are many aspects about me which I would never wish to show you." Raen's eyes had lost there relaxed and amused glint and had become hard and cold. He did not like to tell Ari anything of himself or what he had already told her, but it was the only way he knew to make her understand his life. "I didn't want to show you this Ari but it might help you to understand more about me." He pulled off his shirt and turned his back to her. From the base of his neck down to his lowerback was a deep and ugly scar. As the scar crossed over his spine it ran so deep that his vertebra was visible. "I got that scar more than ten years ago and it has healed remarkably well." He then motioned to his many tattoos, "They mean more than just pictures too."

Putting his shirt back on he smiled gently. "Now do you see that maybe I am not so bad as you thought?" Sitting down he pulled Ari down beside him and put his arms around her, "I'm sorry to have to tell and show you that, but it is only because I love you Ari. I had to make you understand."

"As for the journey, I do not know where we are going but we are about to meet up with the he-elf who shall tell us. Sila shall not be harmed, I will make sure of it but she is under Levi's care." He felt Ari stiffen at the mention of his brother, "I know you do not like him, but remember he has gone through what I have, maybe worse. It can have an effect on anyone's behaviour. I shall ensure that she is taken care of." He stopped and sighed before resuming, "As you can guess I am still working for Asgar but this is an undertaking of a different kind."

((okay I've run out of time but I shall post the rest of Raen's and Levi's tomorrow - oh and sorry if it's really bad I didn't have time to read over it as I am exhausted!))
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 01:17
(So I presume we are still outside the inn!)

"So you gave up?"Altariel asked nervously.

"Not exactly Lady Altariel"
The harp was still singing strings of harmony. The rushing breeze danced around them. Evethire could see the five figures of different races standing talking. Eorlas held the paper entailed with moon-letters. Aireon went up to him and talked quietly. Evethire stood with the man of Rohan beside him.
"Are we still venturing to the Iron Hills?" Altariel asked.
Evethire looked down at Altariel, she looked determined and hopeful.
"Please do not speak of that so loud, Lady Altariel." He quickly looked at the man clad in armour from Rohan.
"How can we agree?I can only suggest, this harp is worth a fair amount and I will pay you for what it is worth or indeed you might have plans of your own. The moon-lettering has to be read, and that needs a moon, or it may require a moon and a season the same as when it was written." Evethire frowned "Which I hope not, for all our sakes"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are we still venturing to the Iron Hills?" Altariel enquired standing beside him. It seemed Evethire had forgotten about his task of his visit. He had been distracted by the harp that was pouring with song as they talked.
Evethire looked down at her with his friendly brown eyes. His answer was short and quiet in his usual calm voice.
Then his attension was turned to the man from Rohan. Altariel thought the man had been friendly enough. He was frowning as he looked sternly at the harp. Altariel didnt know whether to thank him or hate him. If it wasnt for him the harp would never be here. She was grateful for that.
She went softly over to Lady Aireon, as she thought was called and Eorlas, Evethires cousin whispering together.

"Sorry to interupt but may I see the parchment that came from the harp? I shall return it in a moment." She finished with a smile. Altariel had never seen such an invention as moon-letters, only heard of it. It would be an honour to behold such a fair script of the dwarves.

The harp had travelled with her for so long but she never imagined that the harp could have parchment inside.
In her heart she felt weak about it. She remembered as she rode with the caravan of Riders, with her Father.
Now he was dead on the battle field, never to move again. The harp brought bad memories for her weepings soul. She thought of her fathers last words "I bestow my love to you forever. You will always be my queen and our peoples queen. Go now and do not shed a tear over a free soul, my work here is done.Bless you my daughter, my queen, my ..." With a short breath he had stopped talking and life had flowed from him like sand from fingers.A tear threatened in her welling eyes now as it had done then.
Altariel knew she most return to the Firien Woods one day, but it was her ammediate duty to help Evethire and his company right now.

[Edited on 29/12/2003 by Gilraen]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 10:42
"As you can guess I am still working for Asgar but this is an undertaking of a different kind."

"I had hoped that wouldn't be the answer," Ari said,"but somehow I knew it would be. I know that you may have to occasionally take lives, but those at the stables, the horses, the workers, were no threat to you. As for this whole trip, I can't say I won't come along, because someone has to be there to keep the rest of you out of jail. Is it so wrong for me to want you to have an honest living, instead of worrying all the time that you could be dead, or in prison?"

She had nearly forgotten about Sila, who still sat, watching in silence. Ari wished she wasn't there to hear all this.

"As for thinking that you were bad, I thought nothing of the sort. Levi, I don't think so highly of. It's just that the whole time I've been here, I've barely spoken to you at all. I just want you to be honest. With all of us. I don't want any more lies, or secrets, or anything of the sort. It would be nice if Sila and I weren't stuck with your brother the whole time while the three of you are off running around the city. I'm sure Levi will tell you everything about what happened, and I expect the same honesty from you."

Raen smiled gently and kissed her forehead.

"Agreed."

Ari could only hope that was the truth.

((Arwen, if there's anything else you want to add just feel free to add it in. And we're glad you're back!))
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 02:24
((....and the second half! Heh my last post was little....odd *shrugs* I suppose that's what happens when you're too tired to think straight and the weirdness creeps out.... Ok sorry bout that I'm in a funny mood today:evil: Thanks elfgirl it's good to be back - I missed you all!))

Levi whistled loudly when he heard Ari's voice shouting from inside and grinned as Raen went to see what was the matter. He was quite surprised that Raen managed to hold onto Ari. They were so different, not to mention Raen being nothing more than a street rat and a dangerous one too. Ari was of a much higher ranking and importance than Raen and he didn't exactly treat her like that. Shrugging Levi realised that Raen treated everyone as equals, except for maidens who he gave more respect to but not much.

He took a sidelong glance at Aidem but fought the urge to quarrel with him. He sighed deeply and wandered aimlessly around, waiting for Raen to return. He still had not told him of his news and he was growing impatient, not used to having to wait around for others. He had no idea how long the he-elf would remain in the inn and he didn't feel like tracking him down through the whole city for the rest of the day.

Finally he decided that he could wait no longer. Stepping over the broken door, he glanced briefly around him until he heard their voices. Walking over he found them sitting on the ground and Raen seemed to be comforting Ari. Levi cleared his throat and kicked Raen to make him look up. "Excuse me for interrupting your cosy little time but we have things to do and Raen, I still have news of importance to tell you!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"As for thinking that you were bad, I thought nothing of the sort. Levi, I don't think so highly of. It's just that the whole time I've been here, I've barely spoken to you at all. I just want you to be honest. With all of us. I don't want any more lies, or secrets, or anything of the sort. It would be nice if Sila and I weren't stuck with your brother the whole time while the three of you are off running around the city. I'm sure Levi will tell you everything about what happened, and I expect the same honesty from you."

Raen smiled gently and kissed her forehead.

"Agreed."

He squeezed Ari's arm, and made a silent promise not to leave her behind again. He sighed and felt that he must finish the last bit about their adventure, "As for the rest of our journey I think it best if you didn't know the details so you can honestly say you didn't know." Seeing her face he added, "It is nothing of a serious nature, just to ensure that you don't get tangled up in anything in which you are blameless. And I promise, no more fires...... for a while at least! I shall be on my best behaviour on this trip Ari as will Levi. Now just relax and trust me as you used to hmm? Remember, I always catch you when you fall and I shall always be there for you when you need me!" he winked at her and raised her chin with his hand, his black eyes searching her blue ones before placing a tender kiss on her soft lips.

Suddenly he felt someone kick him and looked up to see Levi standing behind him. He grinned at his brother and replied good-humouredly, "Well don't make a habit of it brother, I like my cosy time with Ari and don't appreciate you cutting it short!" Raen rose and pulled Ari up with him. He could see by Levi's eyes he had something that he was eager to share and was not willing to hang around. "Well... are you going to tell me or not?!"

"I found him." he answered simply.

Raen stared at him blankly for a few moments and rolled his eyes, "That's nice. Who did you find? Asgar?" He saw Levi's unimpressed look and smirked.

"Raen I didn't consider you a fool..." Levi began but he was quickly cut off.

Suddenly it clicked in Raen's mind and his eyes lit up excitedly, "Excellent! Where is he?" He turned and spoke to Ari, "Ari could find all of the others and tell them to prepare to depart but to leave the horses where they are?" he smiled at her when she nodded. His eyes quickly returned to Levi and he continued to press him for details, "Tell me where he is! Was he alone or did he have company? Why didn't you tell me earlier?!"

Levi chuckled and cut in, "You don't let anyone get a word in do you? Well you were busy so I had to wait, he was not alone and I shall show you where he is presently! No more questions, they shall all be answered when we get there!" he finished.

Raen was about to protest when a devious look crossed his face and he laughed softly. Levi cocked an eyebrow and waited for him to speak. "Levi, is there anyway to distinguish us apart from our tattoos? I know that everyone here can just about tell us apart, but what of the company we are to join, they do not know us!"

Levi looked quizzically at Raen, "Why? I'm sure they can work it out eventually if they remember what each of tattoos look like!"

"We can easily hide them." he muttered to himself as his crooked mind began to go over a plan. He looked up again and continued, "Well, it's just that I realised that now I have a twin I might as well have a bit of fun and put it to use, that's all."

Levi instantly knew what Raen was planning and grinned, "Ah yes so we confuse everyone in the company?"

"Exactly"

Levi rolled his eyes, "Brother you are so childish but I don't see why not! There is however this that can tell our differences..." he pulled at his loose shirt until it exposed his right shoulder to reveal a scar that was black in colour.

Raen raised his eyebrows and raised his hand to touch the scar but Levi grabbed it and stopped him. "Don't!" Raen looked at him and taunted, "What? Afraid of pain are you?" He saw Levi's eyes gather a dark and evil glint in them before replying menacingly, his voice cracked, "No. Are you?"

Raen's eyes widened in surprise, however he was not the least frightened of his brother's sudden corruption. "Is it one of the unmentioned?" He saw Levi's eyes clear and he nodded. Whistling loudly he asked, "Where did you obtain that?" He knew these scars to be of extrememly dark and evil nature, given to those who served ultimate evil and shadow. Any who touched the scar could easily be killed.

Levi straightened his shirt and replied vaguely, "In my past." He looked outside and saw that the others were waiting, "Now we must leave. Hurry up Raen, we haven't got much time." Dropping his voice he finished, "And keep that quiet won't you? Better if none of them know!"

Raen nodded and eagerly pranced outside. "Come everyone we are now to meet the leader of this quest and soon we shall depart on this exciting adventure!" Looking from Aidem to Levi he added, "Both of you are to behave and not to utter a single snide remark to one another. Spare us from embarrassment if you can. Everyone else bear in mind that we are gentlemen of honour and leave myself and Levi to do the talking!" He looked over at Karay, Ari and Sila, "And of course Ladies of honour also, not that you aren't anyway!"

With that said, Raen led them out onto the streets before turning to Levi and waiting for him to direct them. Once Levi was leading the way, Raen dropped to the back and fell in step with Ari, slinging an arm around her waist. He looked over at Aidem and called, "Well this is where it begins!" His eyes travelled throughout the whole company briefly. His eyes rested on his brother for a few moments. Levi had left him with more to think about then just the quest. He wondered at his brother's past and was determined to find out more about him.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 03:04
((Hey-ho! Great to see y'all! :love: Unfortunately, I'm not back yet...not till January 12 or 13 I think. But I'm on now and thought I'd put my two cents in so Sila doesn't become part of the background! ))

When the company left Raen's house in search of...well, whoever they had to find, Sila found herself walking next to Levi. It surprised her, actually, because he hadn't brought her up there to keep an eye on her: she just had fallen into place next to him. She smiled slightly and shook her head. I just hope I don't get too used to this. she thought to herself. What would I do when I finally get to go home?

"So who exactly are we going to find?" Sila asked as she walked quickly to keep up with Levi's wide strides.

"You'll find out when we get there." Levi said shortly. Sila was struck by the slight differences between Levi and Raen. Raen was easy-going, always ready to smile it seemed. Levi seemed hard and cold. "And please, Lady Sila, remember not to talk." Sila half frowned and half smiled.

"Just Sila." she said absent-mindedly. "If you call me 'Lady Sila', I'll probably go insane." she sighed, and fell into her silent thoughts, rueing the nobility that got her invovled with all this.

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by CarolP]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 02:02
Rovan stood frozen and watched the elf pick up the harp. He said something about "moonletters" or something else of the sort. All Rovan could get from it was that it was some kind of a secret script. Now, who should bother enough to take such pains to write a note one could read only in certain conditions, and to hide it, and why? The answer was obvious: treasure.

"Are we still venturing to the Iron Hills?" Altariel asked.

It startled Rovan. Iron Hills? They were going there? That was the place the guards of Minas Tirith had mentioned...

"Please do not speak of that so loud, Lady Altariel."

Rovan heard Evethire's answer and his eyes narrowed. So, this was supposed to be a secret, too. Interesting.
"How can we agree?I can only suggest, this harp is worth a fair amount and I will pay you for what it is worth or indeed you might have plans of your own. The moon-lettering has to be read, and that needs a moon, or it may require a moon and a season the same as when it was written." Evethire frowned "Which I hope not, for all our sakes."

Rovan looked at Evethire closely. This was a good offer. If he had that money, he could perhaps buy some other weapons and supplies, and... something else, and then head for the Iron Mountains and find that orc, and... Yes, this sounded really noce, if not for one little problem: he had absolutely no idea where the Iron Mountains were! He could spend a year trying to find them, and then the orcs would be gone already, disturbed by the men of King Elessar.

"Thank you, it is a truly generous offer, considering the argument we had just a moment ago about the ownership. But I have another one: you will take me with you. I won't ask a share of that something that is behind it," he said meaningfully, and saw Evethire freezing, "for it has nothing to do with me, obviously. All I need is to get to the Iron Mountains. Do you agree?" he cast a quick look around.

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by Nifredil]

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by CarolP]
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 07:24
((Sorry that I haven't been doing much with Sila, Rosie! I'll try and involve her a bit more.))

Ari got upi and left the two brothers behind to have their conversation. She nodded at Sila, and Sila came with her as well. The others were still waiting outside for Levi and Raen to return.

"Raen sends word that we should prepare to leave," Ari said,"but leave the horses."

The others looked confused, but they got up and began gathering their things to leave. Ari turned to Sila.

"I'm sorry I haven't had much time to talk to you, my friend, but perhaps we will have more time on the journey." Ari said with a smile on her face, and then turned to gather her own belongings, which were few.

They then set out to leave, Raen falling in step next to her and putting an arm about her waist. Ari smiled and kissed him once on the cheek before turning back to look at the company. Sila went up to talk to Levi, and Ari wondered about this. She had hoped that Levi would have some other business to attend to, but no, it seemed he was coming with them.

She wondered what he and Raen had discussed earlier, but she knew that she should probably leave them to get to know eachother a bit more.
GreenEyedElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 11:23
(I hope you guys don't mind if I use your characters a little.)

Ëorlas took the parchment from Evethire who had studied it carefully, only to find the writing in moon letters. In his hands he smooothed the worn crumpled paper, and then studied the hardly visible lettering as Aireon glided to his side.

"I have heard that song before, only I forget where," she whispered." Have you-" Aireon stopped in mid-sentence. Ëorlas looked down at her to see why she stopped, and found her staring at the piece in his hands. He studied her face as she stood deep in thought, gazing over the battered parchemnt. "Moon letters," she muttered under her breath. Ëorlas grinned, then nodded as she looked up into his eyes. For a moment they held each others gaze, then he continued to study the lettering. He could see Aireon still watching him out of the corner of his eye, and it brought a smile to his thin lips.

"Sorry to interupt but may I see the parchment that came from the harp? I shall return it in a moment." Altariel finished with a smile.

Ëorlas glady handed Altariel the parchment and headed over to where Rovan and Evethire looked to be making some kind of deal. The wind was kicking up again, but the sun kept the air warm, and Ëorlas hoped their fortunes would hold such lovely weather on their journey. He knew that whatever the moon letters bore, they would somehow have to travel.
"What do you make of it?" Ëorlas heard his cousin ask as he turned toward him.

"Indeed, the writting appears to be in moon letters, which is that of dwarvish. I'd say the there is a reason for it to be written this way, but I fear that guessing will do us no good." Ëorlas said, looking over at Altariel. She was holding the parchment up to take a better look at the lettering.

Ëorlas furrowed his eyebrows as he noticed tiny black writing on the back of the paper. He rushed over to Altariel a held the parchment up for him to see the back.
"There's writing on the back. It appears to be in common tongue." Ëorlas declared.

Ëorlas read aloud the tiny words on the bottom of the page.
There are hills of grey
skies of blue
And seas that cannot be fathomed of green,
Perhaps this riddle is all but a dream,
Moonlight will show,
much more than you know,
upon a hill
blanketed with snow.
You may recall a tale of old,
that of a treasure
so it was told,
Listen to these words and you will see,
A guide to treasure
this just might be.

Ëorlas handed the parchment to his cousin as Aireon spoke.
"So.... this riddle is telling us how to get the moon letters to appear?"
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 01:52
(((Sorry everyone, I was away yesterday!!!!!! The one day I decide to leave everything gets going again........)))

Aidem was still kicking absent-mindedly at the now fairly large hole that had appeared in the ground, when Ari appeared and informed them to make ready to leave, but not the horses. Aidem frowned before getting to his feet and dusting off his pants. He shrugged and gathered what few things he had. Aidem turned and saw Raen exit the old house.
'About time....' he muttered to himself. The assassin quickly said something about meeting the leader of their adventure then glanced from him to Levi.
"Both of you are to behave and not to utter a single snide remark to one another. Spare us from embarrassment if you can. Everyone else bear in mind that we are gentlemen of honour and leave myself and Levi to do the talking!" Raen paused and looked to the women of the group,"And of course Ladies of honour also, not that you aren't anyway!"
Aidem snorted and rolled his eyes, in disgust. Like he would need any encouragement to stay away from Levi.
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 07:31
"Thank you it is a truly generous offer , considering the argument we had just a moment ago about the ownership. But I have another one: you will take me with you. I wont ask a share of that something that is behind it, for it has nothing to do with me obviously. All I need is to get to the Iron Mountains. Do you agree?"

Evethire felt his back stiffen. He looked at this stranger from Rohan and Stared at his deep souled grey blue eyes. He didn’t look one to lie to but how did Evethire he could trust him. After all this man was a complete mystery. Evethire’s face stiffened also. He dropped his stern glace and look over at the talking Altariel. If only she had not spoken. Anger spread slowly through him. It had always been her… He looked back at the waiting man.

"How can I trust you stranger? For I do not know your name. Indeed you prove a decent soul but you still remain a mystery." Evethire stopped and smiled gently, "Though I would agree as it stands."
A cool breath behind made him turn to see Eorlas "What do you make of it?" he asked his wise cousin.

"Indeed the writing appears to be in moon-letters, which is that of dwarvish. I’d say that there is a reason for it to be written this way, but I fear that guessing will do us no good." Eorlas said looking over at Altariel. Evethire followed his gaze. She was holding the parchment up to take a better look at the lettering.

Suddenly Eorlas stopped talking and rushed over to Altariel. He held it up with great enthusiasm. Evethire beheld black writing scripted neatly.

"There’s writing on the back. It appears to be in the common tongue." Eorlas declared.

Eorlas started in a clear voice so the company could hear,
There are hills of grey
skies of blue
And seas that cannot be fathomed of green,
Perhaps this riddle is all but a dream,
Moonlight will show,
much more than you know,
upon a hill
blanketed with snow.
You may recall a tale of old,
that of a treasure
so it was told,
Listen to these words and you will see,
A guide to treasure
this just might be.

With the last word, "be" Eorlas ended to silence and gave it to Evethire as Aireon spoke
"So…this riddle is telling us how to get the moon letters to appear?"

Evethire studied it more than once. "Lady your guess is as good as mine. Though it speaks of treasure, that may help."
He turned to Eorlas "Does it mean anything to you? Or indeed anyone." His brown eyes traced the surrounding faces.

Altariel took the parchment muttering to Aireon "Do you know anything of moon-lettering Lady Aireon?" Altariel held the slightly crumpled parchment up to the fading sun. Eorlas moved towards Evethire.
It took Altariel by surprise to see through the paper thin letters.
Suddenly Eorlas rushed with haste to proclaim the discovery.
It turns out to be a riddle of some sort or another. Eorlas reads it out, Altariel listens taking each word in.
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 07:50
As Levi led them down through the streets and back towards the inn he noticed Sila walking beside him and raised his eyebrows slightly, suprised that she wished to walk near him since he didn't order her to. Remaining silent he watched her from the corner of his eye and kept walking.

A throbbing pain began to develop in his shoulder since he had revealed his scar to Raen and it began to put him in a foul humour. He wondered at his brother, whether he really would keep his mouth shut or not, but judging by what he could make of Raen, he seemed wise enough to know when to conceal things. He moved his shoulder around trying to ease the dull ache yet it made no difference. Just then he heard Sila's voice drifting towards him,

"So who exactly are we going to find?" Sila asked as she walked quickly to keep up with Levi's wide strides.

"You'll find out when we get there." Levi said shortly. A frown had formed on his face and his eyes had formed a nasty glare. He swung moodily around a corner and continued, "And please, Lady Sila, remember not to talk."

"Just Sila." she said absent-mindedly. "If you call me 'Lady Sila', I'll probably go insane."

Despite his foul humour Levi grinned and winked at her, "I'll keep that in mind 'Sila'!" He continued to watch her as they walked along until he heard Raen's voice from behind him.

"Hey there brother when are we going to get there?!" Raen hollered, "You failed to mention we were travelling to the other end of Middle Earth!"

Levi shook his head at his impatient brother's remark and called over his shoulder, "We are about to arrive now!"

He heard footsteps drawing towards him rapidly and moments later Raen was beside Sila and himself, Ari in tow. Looking at Levi with excited eyes he asked, "Really?! Where is he?!" Raen pranced around like a child eagerly awaiting a gift. Levi rolled his eyes, his irritability returning as the ache increased slightly and snapped, "Raen if you're going to act like a spoilt little noble's child then I don't see us getting very far in making a good impression!"

Raen raised an eyebrow, insults never having any effect on him whatsoever and replied, "I make as good an impression as I need to! I don't need any lectures father!" He frowned at his brother's sudden sullenness but continued to try and tease him into a good mood. "Indeed is that a grey hair I see?"

Levi stopped and whipped out a dagger, glaring at Raen, "Enough! It seems you don't know how to go about decieving others as to who you are! You fail to impress me as the great assassain I've been told about!"

Raen complied and whipped out his own dagger, his tone becoming frosty, yet he refused anything to dampen his spirits. "Well if I didn't know then I wonder how I manage to have such a title or even manage to do a job!" he then realised that he knew exactly to rub his brother up the wrong way and delightedly did so, "Well if your not too careful then maybe I should enlighten our charming company of an interesting piece of your history!"

Levi's eye blazed in rage and he thrust his dagger towards Raen who dodged out of the way, "You swore not to utter a word to anyone! I trusted you to keep a rogue's secrecy!" Even speaking of his dark mark, seemed to increase the ache. It felt as if an old part of his history was attempting to awaken. He instantly began to attack Raen, circling him, his eyes darkening as they had previously and his voice becoming menacing.

Raen easily dodged Levi's thrust with lightning speed and prepared to fight. Looking into Levi's enraged eyes he could see there was something wrong with him. As he defended himself from a blow he heard Levi's voice crack once more and his eyes darkened becoming almost clouded over. He knew then it was something to do with the scar. He spotted Sila putting a hand out to Levi's shoulder to tell him to stop and instantly yelled over to her, "Leave him! Don't touch him!" He watched his brother closely unaware of the looks he recieved from the company. Just then he felt a hand on his arm and turned to see Ari standing there.

"Raen, please stop! This isn't necessary!" she pleaded.

He nodded, knowing that he had to try and calm Levi if he could. Sheathing his dagger, he stood before his brother and spoke calmly, "Alright Levi, come let's leave it now yeah? We need to keep going." he paused and answered, "A rogue's secrecy I always keep - nothing can prise my jams apart! You'll get to know that i just enjoy rubbing people up the wrong way!"

Levi stood there for a long time, his dagger still pointing at Raen. He could see that Raen was weaponless and he could easily fling it at him, although Raen's speed could still save him yet. However he finally lowered his blade and slowly resheathed it. He remained silent, watching as Raen walked towards him.

Raen saw that Levi still had not changed and strode towards him. He knew only of one way in which he might be able to bring him to his senses. Before Levi could so much as bat an eyelid, Raen raised his fist and punched Levi squarely in the jaw.

Suddenly Levi felt the impact of Raen's strong fist and he jolted to his senses. His eyes cleared and he gazed around him briefly. Raen stood there, his stance looked as if ready fight or to dodge a blow. His eyes passed over the company but it didn't seem that they had noticed any change in him, or so he hoped. However, they wouldn't make much of it as they knew nothing of his scar. Finally to the relief of most, he cocked an eyebrow and gave Raen a punch in the shoulder, "Well come on then! He's just around the corner!"

Raen grinned and ran along beside him. "It's good to have you back Levi!" he whispered in his ear, inaudiable to the rest of the company. "What happened back there?" he added.

Levi looked at him, "This is not the time to speak of such things! If you really want we can discuss it later!" He was thankful that he had a brother who knew something of the dark side for he wasn't sure what would've happened back there if Raen wasn't there. He nodded to him in thanks. "It's good to know someone knows about the 'other side' and had some experience of it I imagine also!" he replied quietly so that the rest couldn't catch the words.

Raen grinned, "More than you can imagine!" Suddenly Levi stopped and Raen stopped also, following his gaze to an inn. Outside the inn was a group of men and elves and in the centre of the group was none other than Evethire, just the elf they needed to see. Raen's eyes glinted wickedly and he looked at his brother, "Shall we?"

Levi laughed, "After you!" Raen ensured everyone was behind him and winked at them as a reminder to be on their best behaviour, before stridng confidently forward. He was still wearing the Ranger's cloak as was Aidem and Karay, so they looked quite respectable. Sila and Ari looked noble and beautiful as always and Levi... well Levi had an air about him which Raen seemed to only discover now. He seemed like a royal amoung the rogue's and very distinguished. He grinned, anyone like that didn't need to dress nobly, they were noble enough by charactaristics. He could see how Levi could easily fit into any class when he needed to.

As he reached the group he spoke to them in the best manners he could manage, which were well polished from practice when working. "Greetings noble Sirs and Ladies!" he began, "May I have the pleasure of introducing myself and my comrades! My name is Raen," he turned, "This is my honourable brother Levi and comrade Aidem and the Ladies Karay, Arianna and Silamiren." He smiled at them in a friendly manner, looking nothing like his usual self but of a noble of the upper classes apart from the Ranger's clothing. He politely asked, "Could one of you be so good as to tell me where I might find an elf by the name of Evethire?"

((alright everyone is to totally believe these fellas {and gals!} and NO ONE is to suspect anything or it won't work okay? ))

[Edited on 1/1/2004 by Gilraen]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 06:03
((Last post for awhile, guys! :cry: Keep me in the story!))

"Leave him! Don't touch him!"

Even as they walked into the inn and Raen introduced them all, Sila kept coming back to that. Why shouldn't she have touched Levi? He had looked like he was hurt, even though Raen's dagger hadn't touched him. She rolled her eyes slightly as Raen introduced her as "Silamiren", much to her dismay, but after nodding politely to the people and elves before them, she fell back into her own thoughts. She glanced at Levi out of the corner of her eye. He looked fine now, other than having a slight red mark where Raen had punched him. Why did he say that? she pondered to herself. It was almost like he was...afraid... Then Sila sighed quietly and shook her head. It shouldn't bother her so. Raen probably thought Levi might get angry with her, and so had ordered her back. But even as she tried to listen to what Raen was saying, she glanced every so often at Levi, and wondered why Raen had been afraid she would touch him.
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 09:06
Aidem raised an eyebrow as the fight between Raen and his brother commenced. He had known Levi was violent, but not that violent. He, however, quickly dismissed it as the situation passed, only keeping in mind, that, perhaps, it was better to leave Levi alone. Insults were one thing, injuries were another, and Aidem didn't particularly like the thought of a dagger embedded in his flesh.
Raen and Levi spoke quietly up ahead, before suddenly stopping. Aidem followed their gaze to an inn and was surprised to see a group of Men and Elves. Aidem snickered on the inside as Raen introduced his now noble companions, bowing most politely as he was introduced. He straightened and eyed the group, noting any weapons or other distinguishing characteristics. An old habit, 'Keep friends close, but enemies closer.' Not that they were necesssarily enemies, indeed, they would have to convince these people that they were most gracious and only here with the most noble intent.

[Edited on 1/1/2004 by CarolP]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 07:33
"Raen, please stop! This isn't necessary!"

Ari cried out to them to stop in frustration, anger, and sadness. Even through her protesting, they still managed to stir up some trouble-with eachother. She was glad as he stepped back and attempted to calm Levi down. She turned away, sighing at their behavior.

She turned back as Raen and Levi spotted a group of elves, one perhaps the one they had been seeking. She grimaced as Raen introduced her using her full name, wishing he could have used Ari instead.

She turned to look at Sila, making sure she was still okay after Raen and Levi's fight. She seemed to be a bit puzzled by something, but otherwise she was okay.
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 01:18
A noise of a foot falling behind them made Evethire turn to see a group of young gentlemen accompanied by some ladies. They were approaching slowly towards the company gather around the harp. Evethire quickly gave the parchment to Eorlas and whispered "Keep it out of sight."
The group finally reached them.

"Greetings noble Sirs and Ladies!" he began, "May I have the pleasure of introducing myself and my comrades! My name is Raen," he turned, "This is my honourable brother Levi and comrade Aidem and the Ladies Karay, Arianna and Silamiren."
"Could one of you be so good as to tell me where I might find an elf by the name of Evethire?"

The man that spoke was dressed as a ranger along with two others. The other maidens were dressed of what seemed of noble lineage. A man also stood nearby,his strong features were not unlike that of the man that had spoken.

Evethire stepped forward, his long elvish cloak slightly dragging. His back stiffened as he stood up tall. He loosened his stern face that had appeared fear of trouble.
"I am he. It is a pleasure to meet all I'm sure." Evethire held out a hand as he spoke as if addressing a Noble unlike himself.
The mans coal coloured eyes stared at him then moved along the fair faces of the company. Evethire got a sudden thought that these eyes were fimiliar, they didn't seem to threaten.
"How may I assist you?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Altariel got a fright to see gentleman walk towards her. She had seen this man before, he had bumped into her on the street. Would he recognize her? she thought o herself.
His eyes of dark theme were quite unmistakable. Why would they come here? Altariel quickly looked at Evethire who seemed as lost as she was. He held a tight lip, so they couldn't be friends of his. She looked down to the dusty ground as they drew near. Her shadow was long and it covered the ground. Other shadows reached them. A confident voice spoke to them. She felt a shiver run down her to the ground.
A bird called somewhere of in the distance. Her mind flew with it until the voice asked for Evethire. She finally raised her head to see Evethire step towards the strangers. She looked around them. One of them caused her to look longer, a man dressed in clothes fit for a journey looked similar to the requesting figure. She stared long until she bowed her head again fear of catching his deep eyes.
"How may I assist you?" Evethire enquired. Altariel kept her neck bent as the conversation lingered.
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 05:31
"I am he. It is a pleasure to meet all I'm sure."

Raen took the he-elf's hand and smiled at him before turning his gaze to scan over the company. There was one other individual he hoped to see apart from Evethire. His smile broadened in satisfaction as his gaze stayed on them for a brief second before returing to Evethire as he asked him a question.

"How may I assist you?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi stood silently beside his brother and decided to allow him to talk for them. His watchful gaze travelled through the unfamiliar group standing before him. Suddenly he spied Aireon who had sold him an apple when he first returned to the city. He nodded to her with a small grin before observing the rest of her companions.

Just then Levi felt as if there were eyes on him. He abruptly looked over to the she-elf that was standing behind Evethire and saw her bow her head. Sighing he looked over at Raen as he conversed with Evethire, his manners immaculate as Levi knew they would be. He scuffed his foot in the ground, growing bored but still gave the semblance that he was interested and listening to their conversation.

The throb in his shoulder had not fully subsided and he rubbed it in annoyance, his skin hot to his touch. Frowning he dropped his hand once more and looked at the ground briefly. Looking up again, Levi looked over at Sila and realised she had been watching him. They locked gaze and Levi noticed the confused look on her face. He gave a small frown, wondering what it was that confused her, hoping that it wasn't anything to do with his earlier behaviour. Winking at her, his black eyes returned to the conversation at hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raen grinned, "It is more how may we assist you!" He began, "My comrades and I have heard of your noble and honourable quest in which you are soon to embark upon. We are each well travelled, knowing nearly every route through Middle Earth there is and know of the many perils that lie in wait ahead of you. We have come to offer our noble services and wish to aid you on this gallant quest!"

He watched the group and then saw a face he recognised. The she-elf standing behind Evethire looked somewhat familiar. He thought for a few moments as to where he had crossed her before. Just then he remembered coming around a corner the past night and nearly walking straight into her. He gave his head a slight bow to acknowledge her presence before awaiting Evethire's reply.

[Edited on 1/5/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 02:01
"It is more how may we assist you!" He began, "My comrades and I have heard of your noble and honourable quest in which you are soon to embark upon. We are each well travelled, knowing nearly every route through Middle Earth there is and know of the many perils that lie in wait ahead of you. We have come to offer our noble services and wish to aid you on this gallant quest!"

"You sound much an asset to our company. It would be an honour to have you accompany us. But may I ask you, how is it you know of our quest?" Evethire stood waiting for the answer of this gentleman. He could feel a warm breath on his neck. Altariel stood behind him not hardly making a sound.
A gust of wind blew singing a song of little understanding but the parley went on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Altariel started to feel nervious and she touched a thin hand against Evethire's side to get his attension but he didnt turn. Her eyes wandered back to the company standing infront of them. The man with blackish eyes was looking at a comrade of his. He was of tall build and held a confident face.
She smiled incase he had seen her looking and then resumed her pose of looking down.

(Sorry it was just a short snipet of a good post length but I am ordered to get off-line :cry: so nighty-night to all!)
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 02:37
Aidem watched the group they were facing with interest. He couldn't help but grin a little at Raen's descriptions of the group. He was quite impressed with the assassin's manners, but had expected no less. Many suspicious galnces and winks and smirks and smiles, not to mention a whole nother mulititude of other things, passed between the two groups, as the conversation between the group leaders commenced.
Of course, there was nothing exciting about talking, but Aidem managed to keep up his facade and appear interested as well as serious, although he was having some difficulty keeping from laughing, at the most honorable and generous (not to mention brave and skilled) impression that was being given of themselves.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 05:59
When the group of the newcomers apeared, Rovan grabbed for his sword, suspecting that they had come for him. But hearing the purpose of the group, he relaxed. He had nothing to do with it. All he needed was to get to those Iron Hills, wherever they would be. Minas Tirith was the furthest travel for himself outside Rohan. In Rohan, yes, he knew every road and every path.

Still, he would prefer not to travel in a company this large. Too many eyes, too many ears, too many hands... And, as far as he knew, mene were not as trusted as elves. This he had found out just a minute ago, at least he hoped he had.

If it were up to him, he would have sent them to all the winds of the Middle-Earth, but it wasn't. Did this elf... Evethire, know what he was doing?
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 01:56
Ari looked at the company they were now meeting, glad to be with others of the elven race. She realized they probably all looked a little scraggly from spending time in the old abandoned building that Raen favored, and she nervously straightened her shirt and brushed her hair back behind her ears.

Her sword still hung, useless, at her side, making her remember old times with Raen and Sila. This was how she had met Sila, with her sword in the woods.

She seemed to recognize a few of the elves, perhaps she had seen them before. They looked familiar, but she could not place their faces, and wished Raen had shared with her the names of those other than Evethire.

((Anyone can pick up on the familiarity if they want, if not it will just remain there.))

[Edited on 1/7/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 12:43
((Okies Evethire's lines are written by Leafy!!:love: ))

"You sound much an asset to our company. It would be an honour to have you accompany us. But may I ask you, how is it you know of our quest?"

Raen smiled broadly as Evethire accepted their company and was eager to ask when they would leave but knew that he could not seem too forward or he would arouse suspicions. Quickly thoughts raced through his head of how they could have obtained the news, "Well," he began, "My companions and I stopped here at this inn for a rest and the innkeeper who served us told us of your noble quest and that you were searching for companions to aid you." He finished smoothly, looking perfectly honest and trustworthy.

"Very well Sir Raen. With your knowledge I'm sure you would be of great help to my company. Is it so that you know where we are going?" Evethire spoke the last bit slightly quieter than the first, incase of any uninvited curious ears. He felt the man of Rohan shuffle behind him maybe he didn't approve of these people. Hopefully there will be no bloodshed between them Evethire thought. Altariel still stood silently, she trusted this fair elf, but she wondered at these strangers gracious intentions.

Raen shook his head politely and replied, "No we do not, we only know of your perilous quest and of what the innkeeper told us."

"My gallant company and I are journeying towards Mirkwood and then shall be venturing north-east in the direction of the Iron Hills," Evethire informed them.

Raen looked thoughtful for quite sometime. He had been to Mirkwood before and as far as Erebor but had not ventured as far east as the Iron Hills. However he knew routes well enough as far as Erebor, they were not the easiest of routes as he was on the run and had to take more difficult routes to lose his pursuers, but he was pretty confident that he could find easier paths to tread having travelled in that region of Middle Earth so often. He opened his mouth to reply when he heard Levi's voice behind him.

Levi half-listened to the conversation, not particularly interested in what they were discussing only interested in when they were to depart. However suddenly, a familiar place name reached his ears. He looked over and cocked his head, listening to Raen and Evethire as they discussed the Iron Hills. Clearing his throat he cut in,

"I know of the easiest routes to the Iron Hills once you are clear of Erebor. The land before it is desolate and almost desert like and the river is too far south for water supplies. Foul beasts dwell hungrily near the Iron Hills, so the shortest route possible is vital for you to travel on if you wish to survive." Levi answered simply, finally speaking up.

"Indeed I know of the dangers that lurk on our journey, but we have to try," Evethire replied determinedly.

Levi nodded solemnly, "That is one of the precise reasons why we are aiding you. The perils on your chosen route cannot be defeated by a smaller company alone, a larger group is needed to face these evils. The Wild has grown dangerous rapidly and the Iron Hills is a breeding ground for such tribulations."

Raen grew impatient of the conversation and could not wait to leave now that they were accepted by Evethire's company. He fidgeted around trying to remain silent but eventually butted in eagerly, "So when shall we depart on this quest?"

Evethire looked back at the first speaker and replied, "I say we leave first light at dawn!" Altariel looked up at Evethire's brown eyes. She hadn't expected them to leave so soon.

Raen resisted letting out a whoop of joy and kept his face calm. Grinning he answered, "We shall meet you here at dawn's first rays!"

"So be it!" Evethire acknowledged.

Raen bowed politely to them all, digging Levi in the ribs to do so also. He nodded to Evethire before winking at the maidens and sending them a dashing grin. Levi grinned at his brother's antics and bid them all farewell by shaking the gentlemen's hands and leaving a kiss every maiden's. Turning their back to the company they walked courteously away.

Evethire watched the backs of their new companions leave. Glancing around his company he motioned for Altariel to bring the others inside, but placed a hand on Rovan's shoulder to hold him back. "I see a disapproving look upon your face. I never asked you to accompany me, if you would rather turn your other cheek and leave that is fine with me." Evethire dropped his hand and anxiously awaited his reply.

~*~

As they rounded the corner, Raen ran ahead and let out a loud whoop of joy, jumping high into the air. Turning around, he raced back to them, his black eyes glittering. He grabbed Levi's arm and pulled him along, swirling around. "We did it!" he cried gleefully, "We shall be on our way at dawn!" Raen laughed aloud and pranced ahead again dragging Levi behind him.

"Of course we did it brother! I wouldn't expect any less!" Levi replied, rolling his eyes but grinning all the same. Wrenching his arm from Raen's grip he slowed down and let Raen continue his antics alone. Raen whirled around and ran down to Ari. Swinging her around he kissed her and carried her ahead of the others. Holding her close he replied, "Now we shall have an adventure of a lifetime together my love!" He stopped at the end of the street and waited for the others. "Well I believe this calls for celebration! Where shall we dine tonight? It is my treat!" He finished excitedly. Looking around he added, "Aidem, shall we return to our inn for another concoction?"
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 05:19
'Four words, my good friend,' Aidem said, 'Burnt. To. A. Crisp. As in what the inn is now, thanks your psychotic little obsession. However, it doesn't matter to me, I take what I can get.' Aidem grinned. 'Of course, this may come as a surprise to you, but if we did return and if the inn was still in tact, we might only not be welcome there, but find ourselves in the very same place we were when we started this whole thing,' the thief finished. Of course, the soliders were fun to harrass, but they still didn't treat one too kindly, and Aidem didn't want to have to part with yet another set of daggers.
Much to his dismay, Aidem found himself agreeing with Levi. He hadn't expected anything less.

(((urgh... he's just talkative tonight.... nothin' much else to be said, though... Okay so it doesn't make much sense, but bear with me here. )))
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 11:43
Evethire watched the backs of their new companions leave. Glancing around his company he motioned for Altariel to bring the others inside, but placed a hand on Rovan's shoulder to hold him back. "I see a disapproving look upon your face. I never asked you to accompany me, if you would rather turn your other cheek and leave that is fine with me." Evethire dropped his hand and anxiously awaited his reply.

Rovan stood silent for a moment, then looked closely at the elf. Funny, he started to like him althoough he didn't know him at all...

"Trust me, I wouldn't bother you with my presence if it were up to me. But I don't know how to find the Iron Hills, and I have an errand to settle there," he didn't want to go deeper in details. "However, you can count on my every aid, master Elf," he added. "I'll see you here by dawn," he nodded and went away in the darkness.
He found the stables where Anto was kept only several hours later, and it seemed like he had been walking around the city in circles and circles, asking everybody the right direction and being sent to different parts of the city every time. As he walked in, Anto greeted him with a happy and a little bit annoyed neigh, but Rovan was so tired that all he could do was pat the horse's neck in a silent apology, and drop down on a heap of hay.

"Sir, you have to pay for the keeping of your horse," it was the head stable hand.

"Eh? Oh, yes, of course," Rovan gave him two silvers, then rubbed Anto's nose and went out. His fingers played with the only coin left in his pocket. He hoped to find a nice quiet place somewhere in a yard or similar, to sit down and have at least some rest. He would spare the coin for some bread to take with him in the journey. His stomack rumbled, but he paid no attention. His next meal would be only by midday the next day.
In the Realm of Ulmo
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 10:55
"Now we shall have an adventure of a lifetime together my love!"

Raen kissed her and pulled her close to him as he spoke. She laughed at him dancing around in the street like a young child. Levi seemed to be laughing as well, although he was more subtle about it than she.

"Aidem, shall we return to our inn for another concoction?"

Aidem replied, answering with what she thought must have been a reference to Raen's fires and jail time. She decided it was better not to ask. She determined she didn't even want to know.

"So, where shall we dine tonight? Assuming the rest of the town is still upright. I could use a moment of rest. I'll have to be watching you the whole journey to keep you away from all those pretty maidens you seemed so fond of!" Ari teased.
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 12:17
"Trust me, I wouldn't bother you with my presence if it were up to me. But I don't know how to find the Iron Hills, and I have an errand to settle there," "However, you can count on my every aid, master Elf,"
Before Evethire could reply this now much respected man stated "I'll see you here by dawn,"
Evethire didn't mean to be to hard but he felt it had to be said.
The man turned abruptly and headed away Evethire feeling guilty to not ask him to the inn where he could rest. He had turned the corner before Evethire was about to shout the invitation.
A velvet mauve sky was present. Evethire looked up to have the stars dooted in his friendy eyes. He closed them and uttered under his beath.
"Tenna' tul're san'" his voice was dtermined but lonely amoungst the cool breeze.
He turned back towards the kind light of the inn.

Evethire made a sign to Altariel to lead the company back into the inn. She asked quickly to Aireon "Shall we go inside?"
Altariel lead the way expecting to see them all follow, however Evethire did not or the man of Rohan.
They to the bar. "Why dont you sit down while I get you some rooms."Altariel suggested happily.
She glided up to the inn keeper standing talking to an old gentleman.
Finally he turned to Altariel with rosey cheeks "Ah, dear maiden what can I do for you now?"
"Well would you have three free rooms avalable?"
"Um, now that would be telling." Altariel frowned.
"Only joking."he chuckled loudly.
"Well bad news I'm afraid two rooms is all I have."
"Well thank you and we'll take them."
She walked away and hoped that would be okay.She would sleep out in the stars where she belonged.
Well we are all set. Would anyone want a drink to settle dreams?"

Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 09, 2004 09:11
'Four words, my good friend,' Aidem said, 'Burnt. To. A. Crisp. As in what the inn is now, thanks your psychotic little obsession. However, it doesn't matter to me, I take what I can get.'

Raen's face looked a little crestfallen briefly as he had forgotten entirely that he had set the inn on fire, but he shrugged and grinned once more, "Hmmm... I shall miss that inn - it always had a nice unwelcoming feel to it, like nobody wanted you there!"

Levi raised his eyebrows and replied, "Brother I'm sure you will find that with most inns around here, they will all have the same feel especially if you choose one in one of the higher levels. You don't get much more unwelcoming then that!"

Raen's grin broadened, "In that case we shall find an even nicer one!" Turning to Aidem he continued, "It is not so much a 'psychotic little obsession', more of a ........ favourite pastime? Fascination?" He laughed, "Alright I suppose it may be an obsession... but only a small one!" He saw Aidem's disbelieving look and chuckled.

'Of course, this may come as a surprise to you, but if we did return and if the inn was still in tact, we might only not be welcome there, but find ourselves in the very same place we were when we started this whole thing,'

Raen's eyes shone, "Why wouldn't that be fun! It would be like old times!" Turning to Ari and Sila he asked, "I'm positive that you both haven't been in prison since I first met you?" He looked back at Aidem again, "And that is where I first met you also! We could have a renunion!" His eyes fell on Levi, "And that's where....." he paused, "Oh no...that's not where I met you, but nevermind, I'm sure you've been there often enough!" His eyes danced excitedly.

Levi sighed, "Of course. Well Raen, due to the circumstances I think we should make an effort to stay out of prison until we have returned, after all we do leave at dawn. I would be able to escape easily enough by then myself but with a group this large... I don't think you should take the chance!" He cocked an eyebrow at Sila and Ari, "I am surprised to hear that you were both in prison! Especially you Ari! What did you do?"

Raen cut in before either of them could speak, "Why of course Levi! They are a right pair of little criminals! Killed three of the King's soldiers!"

Levi grinned at his brother, he could obviously see that he was lying, although he wondered how Ari had managed to wind up in prison seeing that she hated any criminal activity whatsoever. He shook his head and guessed that it was probably something to do with Raen and it must have been his fault.

"So, where shall we dine tonight? Assuming the rest of the town is still upright. I could use a moment of rest. I'll have to be watching you the whole journey to keep you away from all those pretty maidens you seemed so fond of!" Ari teased.

Raen pretended to be deeply offended and shocked, "Maidens I seemed fond of?! Why Ari you should know me better! The only maiden for me is you! It is merely to help things along as Levi can tell you - if the maidens like you then it makes your work tens times easier! I won't need watching - I am a perfect gentleman! I merely winked at them whereas Levi kissed their hands! The only ones you need to be worried about are Aidem and Levi - they have nobody watching them! The odd wink or smile does no harm at all...besides I shall be busy riding along with you!" He grinned at Levi and Aidem at the end of his speech, before adding, "However, I think I shall have to keep my gaze fixed upon you with the handsome gentlemen we shall be travelling with!"

He looked thoughtful for a few moments, "Let me see..... I think now that we are good nobles we shall dine somewhere special tonight! After all, I am treating you so we might as well pick somehwere expensive!"

"More like the inn will be treating us Raen!" Levi replied slyly.

Raen rolled his eyes and waved a dismissive hand at Levi, "Oh don't be so picky Levi! Now come along and let us find somewhere grand! We can discuss the journey while we dine!" He straightened his cloak and became to walk towards the higher levels of the city and closer to the heart of it. Glancing at Levi he added, "As soon as you find a fountain make sure to straighten yourself up a little or we won't be admitted if we have a scarecrow like you with us!" Levi just shook his head and muttered, "I will go as I am and if anyone has a problem with it they can deal with me!" Raen snickered and pranced ahead again, before disappearing into the darkness and out of sight.

Moments later he returned with a cloak in hand and threw it over at Levi, "Here you will need it when we're travelling anyway so you might aswell wear it!" He looked at the rest of them, "Come I had found a lovely place for us, unless of course you would prefer to dine in the Citadel with the King!" He jested, "I'm sure I could arrange it!" He walked up the street and raced into the sixth level, just one from the actual Citadel itself before stopping outside a very large and beautiful building with a freshly painted sign hanging just above a well polished door. "How do like it?" He beamed at them.
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2004 03:54
"I am surprised to hear that you were both in prison! Especially you Ari! What did you do?"

"Kidnapping." Ari replied matter-of-factly, and Levi merely cocked an eyebrow at her. "And actually, I have found that when you're with Raen, jail time isn't usually too far ahead."

"However, I think I shall have to keep my gaze fixed upon you with the handsome gentlemen we shall be travelling with!"

"You're only saying that because they look exactly like you, or at least one does. And," she stifled a laugh,"perfect gentleman?"

Raen pretended to look hurt and offended yet again, but his familiar joy and happiness returned when he led them to the inn he had found near to the Citadel. The new sign and appearance made it look to be a good establishment, and Ari hoped Raen didn't turn to this one for his fires.

"Not bad, assuming this one stays upright when you're done with it," she murmured, eyebrows raised. She walked inside, followed by the others.

The inside was brightly lit, and it didn't smell of drink as soon she walked in. She was thinking this was one of Raen's better choices, as he tended to lean towards the establishments that were less than quality.

She was sure they were a peculiar looking group, if one could not see that Raen and Levi were identical, then they could see Levi's hooded figure walking around, as Raen said, like a "scarecrow".

"So, shall we be eating at your expense tonight, or are you planning to pay at all?" She asked Raen.

[Edited on 10/1/2004 by Gilraen]
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 12:02
"Kidnapping." Ari replied matter-of-factly, and Levi merely cocked an eyebrow at her. "And actually, I have found that when you're with Raen, jail time isn't usually too far ahead."

Levi looked at her in surprise. Ari kidnapping? Maybe there was more to her then he assumed. However he was convinced that Raen had wound her up in it somehow. He looked at her, his face a mixture of disbelief and intrigue. His black eyes then turned to look at Sila also. "Am I to believe that you also were wound up in prison for kidnapping?" He glanced over at Raen, "Not very gentlemanlike for you to get them wound up in prison with you!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raen grinned wickedly at Ari, "Why of course! The jailers would get so lonely if I didn't visit them regularly and besides, one needs to check on their home every so often to make sure that everything is in order!"

He stopped and looked at Levi, "Not very gentlemanlike of me?!" he laughed, "May I inform you Levi that as shocking as it may sound, they wound me up in prison when all I wanted was to relax and have a quiet drink in the inn! But low and behold, prison guards come marching in and drag me off to prison under arrest of kidnapping Sila!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi snorted at the thought of Raen having a 'quiet drink' but looked utterly bewildered as he listened to his account. "Alright let me think this over! You were in the inn when you were arrested along with Sila and Ari for kidnapping Sila?!"

Raen nodded with a grin on his face.

Levi frowned and asked, "So why did they lock Sila in prison?"

Raen laughed, "Ah that is a long story my brother! If you are very good maybe Sila will enlighten you sometime!"

Levi still wasn't satisfied, "So if it was their fault you were imprisoned what did they do? Blame you?"

"No they didn't even know I was there until we were in the cell!" He shrugged, "I get pulled in there verytime there's a problem!"

Levi nodded and walked silently, still thinking over what he had just heard. He was not convinced and wished to know more but he decided to bring it up later. Besides, it would keep his mind occupied for a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're only saying that because they look exactly like you, or at least one does. And," she stifled a laugh,"perfect gentleman?"

Raen mimicked his hurt and offened look once more but did not hold it for long as the inn soon appeared around the corner, an oil lamp burning brightly, illuminating the sign and his face lit up happily. The King's Crossing was freshly painted in fancy lettering with a picture of a figure riding on a horse, presumably the king and his army behind him.

"Not bad, assuming this one stays upright when you're done with it,"

Raen winked at her before pushing their sturdy door open. The door sprung open easily, not rusty in the slightest and Raen had to grab it again to prevent it from banging swiftly into a table.

The inn was brightly lit and had to big blazing fires in either end of the room. The room did not have the distinctive odour of drink but of delicious cooking. Well dressed citizens were seated around light coloured, varnished tables talking quietly to one another as they ate and drank. The floors were spotless and everything in immaculate condition. Raen raised his eyebrows, only seeing inside of it for the first time. From loitering around filthy, dank old pubs that had a rancid stench which filled the air and were constantly full of shouting and fighting, where you had to keep your wits about you to entering a friendly, spotless and bright establishment like this, took him a few seconds to get accustomed to.

He smiled and nodded to the citizens in a friendly manner and strode in confidently and over to a table in the corner beside one of the open fires. He pulled out cahirs for all the ladies before taking their orders and walking over to the bar to order them. He did this all in a professional well-polished and gentlemanlike manner, before returing and sitting with them all.

"So, shall we be eating at your expense tonight, or are you planning to pay at all?"

"Well....." he began slowly as if pondering over something, "Let me see what i think of it first! Besides, I do need to keep as much money as possible for our journey ahead!" He saw her disappointed look and added, "But if it is exceptional, then I might reconsider and even leave it in one piece!" Leaning in to the whole company he whispered softly, his voice inaudiable to anyone else in the room, "Remember, we are honourable nobles and I advise Aidem and Karay to keep your heads down as will I. The nobles are all too aware that the horse-thieves are still on the rampage!" He looked over at Sila, "They hunt for you will start extremely soon if not already! Keep your hood up and do not look around you. We shall have to change your name also!" He then glared at Levi, "It is obvious these citizens don't exactly approve of us thanks to our personal scarecrow, but they will tolerate us if we behave!" He sat back and stood as the bartender walked over with their order. Taking the drinks, he passed them around and thanked the man before seating himself once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi walked in behind the others, aware of the suspicious and fearful looks he was recieving. His hood was pulled down low of the profile of his face and he had a menacing look about him. Grinning mendaciously, he sat down with the others and cast a watchful eye across the room. Rolling his eyes at Raen's remark.

Taking his tankard, he took a huge swig and swallowed the liquid. Suddenly he felt as if his throat had disintegrated and was ablaze. He spluttered and resisted the urge to spit the rest out across the table. "What did you order Raen?!" he hissed. He noticed his brother's eyes dancing amusedly.

"Oh nothing much! Just a surprise to lift all of your spirits before we depart! Drink up now!" he replied quietly, his voice tingling with sheer amusement and laughter.

Levi shook his head and muttered under his breath swearing at his brother before putting the tankard on the table, still full.
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 03:59
Aidem bit back a laugh. He doubted Raen had enough money with him to pay for the meal. Somewhere else, sure, but this was obviously a high quality establishment, and nothing would be cheap. But upon a second thought, Aidem realized that his friend may actually end up paying for this. There was no need to cause more trouble, and Aidem doubted if they could make their way out of the building without paying.
As if Raen knew his thoughts, the assassin suddenly suggested that he and Karay keep their heads low and that Sila keep her hood up. Flashing a grin, Aidem threw back his hood and sat up proudly, rather than his usual slouching posture. He shrugged and leaned in, lowering his voice.
'They will know who they're looking for. Their horse theif is a man who slinks around with hood and veil up, not a man who holds himself proudly and reveals his identity to all. I may not look as noble as these men around us, but I will look even less so if I keep my face hidden and am unwilling to show who I am.' Aidem quickly leaned back and looked around casually as the bartender came with whatever Raen had ordered. Raising an eyebrow, Aidem looked curiously at whatever was in the mug. He knew Raen wouldn't have ordered anything near normal and wisely decided to wait until someone else had taken a drink. Much to his amusement, that someone else was Levi. This time, Aidem couldn't resist laughing as Levi sputtered and irrritably asked Raen what he ordered. Upon hearing his reply Aidem answered, 'I'd rather not if my reaction will be the same as your brother's. My spirits don't need lifting, thank you, much. They're quite fine on their own.' He heard Levi swearing under his breath at his brother and couldn't resist antagonizing him.
'Now, is that the conduct of a gentleman? Prim and proper, Levi, we musn't let the quality of our appearance fall, and I wish not to sacrifice our fine act because of you.' Aidem grinned and leaned back in his chair, conveniently 'forgetting' how Raen had asked him and Levi not to speak to each other.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 07:00
((BACK BACK BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Mondays and Wednesdays, me dears. I'm Back!!!!!!!! *dances around in a mocking impression of Raen* ))

Sila made sure she sat up straight, even though her hood was up. A new name, Raen had said. She put a hand to her mouth to cover a smile as she thought of the last time she'd taken a different name. She had just cut her hair again before returning to Minas Tirith and she was wearing boy's clothes, so she pushed the hood back a little, as if she were simply a shy country boy in the city for the first time. She glanced over at Levi, who was looking at her calculatingly.

"What?" she asked quietly. Levi leaned towards her.

"Would you mind explaining my brother's slightly...confusing account of your meeting?" Sila laughed quietly.

"Ah, yes, well you must understand that in the first place, it was all my fault." she began. Levi raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "No, it's true! You see, I was sick and tired of being a lady. I wanted to have adventures. So I concocted this plan to run away, but make it look like I was kidnapped. Eventually made my way to another city, ran into Ari on the way there. She saved my life, you know." Sila paused and smiled over at her friend. "Well, it had been a month by the time I was caught. A soldier saw my ring, that had my family's crest on it. At first I thought I was going to be sent home. Come to find out, they thought that I had kidnapped Lady Silamiren and taken her ring. Ari was with me and Raen was coming over to speak to us, so they took us all and locked us in prison." Sila sat back, enjoying the look on Levi's face. "On a different note," she lowered her voice, "Raen suggested I take a different name. Would you be so kind as to choose one?"
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email