Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
Post RE: At the Edge of a Knife (see OOC to join)
on: January 12, 2004 03:35
((YAY!! Welcome back Rosie! :love: We missed you!))

'They will know who they're looking for. Their horse theif is a man who slinks around with hood and veil up, not a man who holds himself proudly and reveals his identity to all. I may not look as noble as these men around us, but I will look even less so if I keep my face hidden and am unwilling to show who I am.'

Raen grinned, "Ah but the problem is, many nobles know of my identity after the guards attempted to execute me in public not two years ago and some don't forget my face so easily! However, you are right - it would be best for you both to show yourselves!"

Raen noticed that most of the group took a good look at what was in their tankards and seemed to be waiting for someone to take the first swig. He watched as Levi, completely unaware of everyone else's reactions and of his antics when it came to ordering drinks took a large mouthful. Raen contained his laughter at the sight of Levi's face but his eyes glittered amusedly as Levi spluttered and glared at him.

'I'd rather not if my reaction will be the same as your brother's. My spirits don't need lifting, thank you, much. They're quite fine on their own.'

Raen rolled his eyes at Aidem, "Where is your spirit of adventure Aidem?! Of course our spirits need lifting, after all we have alot ahead of us, which includes behaving like honest noblemen so we shall have to think of how to amuse ourselves nobly!" He picked up his own tankard and raised it, "I propose a toast, to whatever the furture holds!" He grinned wickedly knowing that it was extremely insulting and disrespectful for a noble to refuse a toast and seeing as they were all now nobles they were expected to do so. Raen took a large swig and swallowed before grinning at everyone, the odd concoction having no effect on him whatsoever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Now, is that the conduct of a gentleman? Prim and proper, Levi, we musn't let the quality of our appearance fall, and I wish not to sacrifice our fine act because of you.'

Levi turned slowly to look at Aidem scathingly, "And who are we acting for at present?! The bartender?!" He sighed disgustedly and rolled his eyes in distaste, "Well I don't see you drinking your drink Aidem! After all, a true noble and gentleman will drink a beverage which has been so kindly bestowed upon him by another comrade as I have done! So as you said, let us be 'prim and proper' and drink to Raen's toast!"

He watched as Raen knocked back nearly half of his tankard and grinned at them all, the drink doing nothing to him in the slightest. Levi shook his head realising that Raen had probably built up an immune system to every kind of concoction he could think of. Raising his tankard he reluctantly took another gulp and let it slide down his throat, burning it once more and giving him a sharp pain like a kick in the abdomen. He replaced it on the table and looked around him.

Spying Sila he watched her for some time, thinking over what he had been told earlier. Looking into her eyes, Levi realised that they were mismatched. Her left eye was of a piercing green while her right was sparkling blue. He had never noticed before, but he decided it was most likely because he hadn't exactly studied her much.

"What?" she asked quietly.

Levi leaned towards her and decided to ask about their previous adventure, "Would you mind explaining my brother's slightly... confusing account of your meeting?"

"Ah, yes, well you must understand that in the first place, it was all my fault." she began. Levi raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "No, it's true! You see, I was sick and tired of being a lady. I wanted to have adventures. So I concocted this plan to run away, but make it look like I was kidnapped. Eventually made my way to another city, ran into Ari on the way there. She saved my life, you know."

Levi listened to Sila, interested to hear of how anything involved with a prison could not be Raen's fault. He laughed slightly amused at the thought of Sila no longer wishing to be a lady. He didn't blame her, not that he ever was a lady but he knew many working in his profession, charming them to close in for his prey, and decided that their life seemed extremely dull, before he arrived on the scene anyway.

"Well, it had been a month by the time I was caught. A soldier saw my ring, that had my family's crest on it. At first I thought I was going to be sent home. Come to find out, they thought that I had kidnapped Lady Silamiren and taken her ring. Ari was with me and Raen was coming over to speak to us, so they took us all and locked us in prison." Sila sat back, enjoying the look on Levi's face.

Levi looked disbelieving at first but then a large grin broke across his face as he pictured what had happened. He whistled softly and laughed. Looking over at Raen he could see that he had been listening and gave Levi a 'told you so' look. He shook his head, "Who would've thought that ladies could cause so much trouble!" He dropped his voice completely, "Including managing to imprison an extremly dangerous eradicator too!" He found the story extremely humourous and it took him a brief moment to regain his composure.

"On a different note," she lowered her voice, "Raen suggested I take a different name. Would you be so kind as to choose one?"

Levi gazed at her briefly, surprised that she would ask him of such a thing. His face turned thoughtful and he did not answer for a long time, his eyes distant and pensive. He rested his chin on his hand and stroked his rough black stubble as he pondered over a name for Sila. Flitting his attention back towards her, he answered slowly, "Well, I would not recommend myself for such a decision. I know not of a name that is apt and as charismatic as you are. The only names I know would be the vulgar ones I save for my foes!" He fell silent again, but he was determined to see if he could think of something, "Aduial? Laurë? Ithil? Saira?" He sighed deeply, "As you can see, I am not the best when it comes to names!" He chuckled softly, "I'm sure I get it from somewhere - look at my name for example!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raen kept a sharp eye on Aidem and Levi. He did not want them to break out into one of their quarrels again, not when so much was at stake. He listened as Levi tried to think of a name for Sila and laughed, "Well I believe my name is quite fitting!" he told them amusedly before turning his gaze to his surroundings in the inn.

He began to fidget in his seat. Raen had decided that it would be best not to remain here too long as they were dangerously close to the Citadel and he feared Sila being recognised. He wondered how much the bartender would charge for their order and of how they were to make their exit. His mind ran through various thoughts in his head as he wondered what to do. He still had some matters of the journey he wished to discuss with Levi alone, but he knew it would have to wait.

[Edited on 1/13/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 01:16
Evethire started towards the warm light. The company stood just inside. Guilt still hung like a stone upon him. He hesitated as his cold hand touched the handle, would he find Rovan and invite him in? Maybe he has other affairs to think of Evethire reasoned with himself. He marched in and up to Eorlas
"Well, it has been settled dawn it is. Shall we leave to reat or shall we tarry?"
Altariel glared at Evethire with a where were you look but then softened it Im going to bed. She strided towards the door.
"What, Altariel the stairs are that way." Evethire shouted after her. She came back to him"I know that, and please stop shouting and drawing attension to yourself."
"Well you said you are going to bed.."
"I am they didnt have enought beds so Im going to sleep under the stars."
"Oh no you are not, you can stay in my room, Im not going to be there!" he winked as he whispered gently to her ear.
She frown then smiled. "Okay, if you are sure."
"Positive"
Altariel blushed as she felt such gratitude towards him and then proceeded up the creaky stairs clutching Evethires keys.
She let heself in, remembering the state of his living quarters, very messy.
She smoothed the bed clothes motheringly and noticing a silver elvish ring on the bedside table. She picked it up and held it carressing it as a valuable possetion to her life. Something about it reminded her of the old days, when she was younger and Evethire and her used to travel around Middle-earth. She did not love him but there was always a powerful bond between them that would never die.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 05:59
Sila gave a thoughtful smile. "Saira. I like that one. Very well, Raen!" she turned and addressed her friend quietly. "You wanted me to have a new name and a new name I have. You may all call me Saira." she said in a mockingly lofty tone, and held out her hand to be kissed. Raen shook it enthusiastically, making Sila and Ari both laugh. Then Sila sat back in her seat and quietly watched the comings and goings of the inn.

((Sorry it's so short, thought I should post, but I'm having a brain-freeze or something. :dizzy: ))
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 07:02
As Raen raised his cup in a toast, Ari nervously raised her cup to her lips. As she drank, she set her cup back down and sputtered a bit, but hesitantly swallowed before giving Raen a look of disgust. He merely smiled and took a large swig again.

Ari narrowed her eyebrows and frowned while looking at Raen. He was fidgeting nervously and he seemed very deep in thought. She laced her fingers through his, and as he looked up in surprise gave him a small smile.

"Anything wrong?" Her smile then faded as she studied his expression. "Nothing you'd care to share with the rest of us?"

"No," Raen assured her, still seeming a bit caught up in his thoughts. "Nothing else happened. Well, nothing that could be considered morally wrong." He attempted to smile, but only looked comical.

She laughed quietly to herself before taking another small sip of the drink before her. She made a face and sat her tankard back down and turned back to Levi and Sila. They had been talking for a while and Ari was surprised, but happy,, that they had found so much to talk about.

She had heard Sila telling Levi of their adventures together, and smiled as Levi listened intently, although he cocked an eyebrow quizzically when he found out that Ari and Sila had been the cause of going to jail.

She looked around the inn, seeing several crowded tables drinking heartily and laughing amongst themselves. A few turned to stare at their table, as they didn't look like the quintessential nobles. Ari merely smiled pleasantly and nodded at those who were staring.

[Edited on 1/14/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
GreenEyedElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 01:43
Ëorlas found himself staring at Aireon's long crimson hair as they waited for Altariel to return from the innkeeper’s desk. The main room was once again crowded and noisy, but on this night cheerful music was playing in the corner, making the guests even more rambunctious than usual. Ëorlas raised an eyebrow; he didn't very much care for the foolish behavior of men. Just then, Evethire came through the door and approached them with a look of guilt upon his face.

"Well, it has been settled dawn it is. Shall we leave to rest or shall we tarry?"

Ëorlas did not answer his cousin's question, for he wished to speak with him in alone. When Altariel went upstairs to rest, he moved closer to Evethire so their business could not be heard.

"You say you won't be sleeping in your room tonight. Why is that?" Ëorlas inquired, just loud enough for Evethire to hear. He watched the blank stare he received from his cousin, and pulled the parchment from his pocket, realizing what Evethire was thinking, but kept the riddle concealed from all wandering eyes.
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 01:34
Sila gave a thoughtful smile. "Saira. I like that one. Very well, Raen!" she turned and addressed her friend quietly. "You wanted me to have a new name and a new name I have. You may all call me Saira." she said in a mockingly lofty tone, and held out her hand to be kissed.

Levi grinned, "Well as far as my knowledge extends, Saira means wise so indeed I hope you can live up to it!" He laughed as Raen shook her hand and shook his head. Looking out the clean window he could see that night had set in quite some time ago already. They did not have much longer in Minas Tirith left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raen turned and listened to Sila as she proudly informed him of her new name and held out her hand to be kissed. Raen grinned and grabbing her hand earnestly he shook it firmly. Ari and Sila both laughed. He nodded his approval of the name before turning away and casting his gaze around the room once more. Fidgeting, Raen kept running over plans and thoughts through his head. After all he had more than just Evethire and the treasure to think about...

Just then he felt a warm touch in his hand and looked down to see Ari put her hand in his. He looked into her blue eyes and smiled at her, his heavy thougths broken. He remained silent and was content to just gaze into her eyes, finding his contentment and peace within them.

"Anything wrong?" Her smile then faded as she studied his expression. "Nothing you'd care to share with the rest of us?"

Raen drifted back to his thoughts briefly before replying in an assured tone, "No," he paused, "Nothing else happened. Well, nothing that could be considered morally wrong."

He attempted a small smile and watched her laugh before turning to Sila and Levi. Raen sighed deeply and knocked his head back to gaze at the ceiling. Spying Levi's unwanted drink, He grabbed it and drained the tankard in two large swigs. He attempted to be interested in the company's conversation but found it impossible to pay attention. Raen was normally this restless but he was fully aware of what was at stake on this journey ahead, more than even Asgar knew about. His gaze flickered to Ari's face lovingly before scanning the room once more.

Finally RAen decided that he could no longer stay in the inn. He put his hand deep into his pocket and pulled out two gold coins. He knew that he needed ten to pay the innkeeper. Raen was intent on paying honestly as he wanted to something that would please Ari, however he had a feeling that he could no longer do so. He looked over at Levi but Levi's pockets were empty and he merely shrugged at him.

Rising quickly, Raen grabbed Aidem's full tankard and quickly pretended to stumble over his chair, the drink flying towards the fire. Rolling away swiftly, the fire erupted with a loud bang startling everyone in the inn. Raen grinned benath his hood as the bartender rushed over. "I am most terribly sorry! I stumbled, if I can help at all...." he apologised, trying to conceal his glee at the large engulfing flames. The bartender however was too bust to hear him as Raen had predicted, and bustled around getting others to fetch buckets of water before the building caught fire.

Flipping the two coins on the table, Raen motioned for the others to follow him and he silently left the inn. Looking over at Ari he spoke to her softly, "Do not fear Ari it will not catch fire! The worst of the damage is in the chimney, an inn like that will have plenty of money to repair that!" Looking up he saw the faint glimmer of orange from the roof. He saw three men with a ladder and water begin to make their ascent. He nodded towards, "See they already have it under control!" Picking up the pace, Raen strode ahead and away from the inn, gradually descending through the levels of the city.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi jumped at the deafening explosion and looked up swiftly to see what was the cause. Seeing his brother, he knew instantly it was Raen's fault, most likely to do with the fact that they had no money. He grinned as Raen apologised and rose from his seat. Following Raen out the door, he grinned, "My my brother you are clumsy! What an unfortunate accident!"

Raen looked at him, "Indeed it was! I paid for that drink and would have much liked to have had it!" Glancing at them all he added, "Well that is the last time I buy you all anything - you are all so ungrateful apart from Ari who at least had the courtesy to drink hers!" He smiled in spite of himself and continued walking.

Levi shook his head. He wondered at his brother and why he didn't simply start a fight or do more considerable damage. Catching up with Raen he asked him and was confused by his reply. Raen was so eager to please Ari, even prepared to pay back there, something which never even entered Levi's mind. He had never once stopped to consider others or pay for his drinks. He couldn't understand why Raen was so determined to try and win her approval. Shrugging he fell behind and slowed his pace to the rear of the group.
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 02:04
Aidem shrugged as Raen took his drink away, glad to have an excuse not to drink it, but fearful of what Raen might do with it...... He soon found out as there was massive bang behind him, causing Aidem to jump to his feet, eyes rather wide in astonishment. Sighing at Raen, he removed his hand from his dagger, and watched, rather amused as the innkeeper hurried about, trying to quell the flames. Raen, of course, offered his service and apologies, but had other ideas in mind. He swiftly and silently led them out of the inn and began striding down to the lower levels, setting quite a brisk pace.
Aidem followed the group silently, for once kepping his thoughts to himself. He seemed to be doing that more often since he had joined the group though. He was thinking, that, perhaps it would be nice not to have to end a meal in flames, for once.

[Edited on 16/1/2004 by Gilraen]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 07:30
Ari and the others pushed through the crowd that had gathered as a result of the fire, trying to make their way away from the inn before the innkeeper tried to catch them. She apologized to those who she was running into as she went.

"Do not fear Ari it will not catch fire! The worst of the damage is in the chimney, an inn like that will have plenty of money to repair that!"

She set her jaw for a moment, looking back at the inn with the sparks occasionally flying out of the chimney. She then relaxed and sighed.

"Fine. At least this time you had the sense to set the fire in the fireplace." Raen only laughed and kissed her cheek before
going off down the street once more, and she was jerked ahead as she realized he still had her hand.

She looked around the city as they went, they caused a bit of disruption, the group of them running through the city as they did, Raen seeming to be determined to go as fast as he could.

"Well that is the last time I buy you all anything - you are all so ungrateful apart from Ari who at least had the courtesy to drink hers!" Ari laughed at this before replying.

"Well, Raen, I'm sure none of the rest of them, save maybe Sila are used to these, shall we say unusual drinks of yours!"

Sila nodded in agreement with a smile on her face as they went. Aidem seemed to be a bit distracted, as raen had been before they left the inn. She decided not to disrupt him by speaking, and just silently continued on.

[Edited on 1/16/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 03:08
Raen spun around a corner, his hand still grasping onto Ari's tightly. As he rounded the corner, he quickly stepped back into the shadows and pushed the others back silently. Keeping his hood low he signalled for the others to sink further into the dark shadow's cloak to shield themselves from stranger's eyes. Releasing Ari's hand he silently prowled forwards alone, his figure invisible in the shadows cast across the alley. Raen moved swiftly and expertly, living in the shadows made him an expert in travelling and piercing through them. As he neared the group of figures he lurked nearby and watched as they lit some torches. He listened to their hushed conversation of orders and realised that they were disguised soldiers. Once he was certain he had heard all he needed, he did not wait a second longer but slunk back to the others.

Reappearing as if from nowhere he grabbed Ari's hand once more and led her swiftly back out of the alley and down the opposite way. Making a speedy dash from their dark, invisible facade into another mask of shadow, Raen kept running, his footsteps inaudible. Once they reached the end, he furtively peered around the next alley. Another group of soldiers were standing in wait at the end, their glowing torches ablaze. Raen backtracked and led them through a small narrow street, but quickly urged them back finding more soldiers incognito waiting nearby.

Looking up he hurriedly picked the simplest building to climb and beckoned the others over to him. He noticed their confused glances; none of them had seen the soldiers yet. Turning to Levi he whispered, "Climb up first, I'll send the others after you!" Levi nodded; guessing what was lying in wait for them by Raen's excited yet determined face. Swiftly climbing up, Levi swung himself over onto the roof and watched as Raen sent the others up after him. Bending over he grabbed Sila's wrists as she reached him and pulled her over.

~*~

Raen glanced over at Ari with concern. All the others were making their ascent and she was last to go. Slipping an arm around her he held her tight and kissed her before softly whispered softly in her ear, "I know that you hate this, but Levi will be there at the top! Trust him this once!" He smiled at her, "I shall be right behind you in case you fall!" He noticed her reluctant nod and gave her hand a squeeze.

Watching as she climbed up, he made to follow her but heard a footstep behind him. Spinning around, a dagger in hand he saw a soldier standing there. Rushing forward, Raen let him slide to the ground before he could cry out a signal word. Returning to the building he did not delay a moment longer but made his way to the top.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi stepped over to his brother, "Soldiers!" He uttered, looking at Raen. His brother nodded and walked to the opposite end of the roof, revealing the streets of Minas Tirith ahead of them. Ahead and surrounding them as far as their eyes could travel were orange glimmers.

"Soldiers in disguise!" Raen sighed, "They have clearly discovered of Sila's disappearance, determined to capture Aidem and I for escaping, Karay for setting us free, as well as the three of us stealing the royal horses and they must have guessed that the fires were linked!"

Levi whistled, "Well you can't blame them! Especially seeing as you made it into the Citadel. They will not drop these charges until they believe we are no longer here or have caught us!"

Raen nodded, "I know. They are attempting to block every street in Minas Tirth and it seems that they have succeeded. We have to return to my house as quickly as possible - it is the only place that they are afraid to search, although they may now!"

Levi nodded and turned to the others, "Hurry!" He whispered. Following Raen, they swiftly made their way across the city as silently as possible, jumping from building to building, both Levi and Raen helping the others across. Once they were nearing the end of the rooftops in which they travel across, Raen walked to the edge of the final one. Gazing down, he caught sight of a large group of soldiers covering the clearing in which they had to dash across.

Pulling Levi aside he whispered, "Alright - you have to make it through that line! I shall distract them while you ensure that everyone makes it across. I do not know how long I shall be gone for but I will be back for our departure at dawn! If I can rejoin you I will, but if I cannot slip past the guards myself then continue on. Hide everyone below the ground in the secret passages."

Levi nodded, knowing that it was the best option they had, "So you get to have all the fun then?!" He jested.

Raen's serious face broke into a grin and his eyes twinkled, "Naturally!" Walking over to Ari he slipped his arms around her waist and held her tight for a few seconds, his black eyes glinted with excitement yet grave beneath the surface. He searched her sparkling blue ones and smiled. As Ari looked down, Raen brought his hand forward and tilted her chin so she looked at him, "I will see you at dawn if not sooner!" He told her firmly. Touching her soft lips with his own, he kissed her softly before pulling apart and walking to the edge of the roof. Glancing over at Aidem he spoke, "Try to get along with Levi until my return! Make sure everyone stays put and I am leaving you and Levi in charge!"

Without another word, Raen silently swung over the tiles and rapidly made his descent. Jumping to the ground he landed as softly as a cat. Straightening himself, Raen pulled out a dagger and stepped out of the shadows. "Greetings strangers! Are you looking for someone?" He inquired, his dagger hidden up his sleeve.

The head guard stepped forward suspiciously and replied, "May you tell us where Raen keeps his lair? We have some... business with him!"

Raen grinned, his face invisible, but he kept a questioning tone to his voice, "Raen?"

The guard quickly continued, "The assassin - surely you know of him!"

Raen rolled his eyes at the soldiers. He could not believe that they were this idiotic. Any rogue would know instantly that they were guards by their behaviour. Finally he replied, "I know of him. What business do you have?"

"It's......er.....of a personal matter!"

Raen flicked out his dagger and removed his hood, "Well it's your lucky day gentlemen for here I am!" He grinned wickedly at them. The soldiers looked surprised and slightly nervous.

"You are under arrest for the..." the guard began.

"Arrest? Why what for?" Raen pretended to fail to recognise they were soldiers. He knew that if they continued to believe they used a sufficient disguise, they would be simple to distinguish immediately. Suddenly he imitated a shocked look, "Why your soldiers!" he cried.

The guard smiled, "Indeed! And we have come to take you away for the murder of several guard soldiers, the brutal treatment of the city jailer, the theft of the finest horses in the city, the violation of our city, the theft of various valuables, the homicide of Rangers of Gondor, the kidnap of Lady Silamiren and the slaughter of the King's chief advisor!"

Raen snorted at the guards, "Really? Well isn't that nice! Except you might want to remember that I am an assassin not a hostage taker! And besides, aren't you forgetting a few things?"

The guard glared at him, "You official warrant of arrest is too long to read out now! We shall save it for your execution!"

Raen spied the others climbing down the building. "Well I look forward to hearing it, but you've forgotten something!" He began to step backwards, the soldiers advancing as he had anticipated.

"What would that be?"

"Well....." he glanced back again, "... You have to catch me first!" Suddenly he heard a rock landing with a loud thud on the cobbles of the street as one of them knocked against the wall. Raen quickly darted forward and sank his dagger into the abdomen of a soldier to prevent them from looking back. The soldier moaned before falling and the others quickly advanced. Before long, Raen was surrounded and he expertly began to fight, holding them back from him while he tried to create an opening for himself. Spying a small gap he darted forward but could see it was too small. Suddenly he caught sight of Ari looking over while Levi tried to lead her away. He watched her for a brief second before rolling on the ground to dodge a blow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Levi caught Sila, he glanced over to where Raen was. He could see that he was already surrounded. Ensuring that everyone was down on the ground he began to lead them away, knowing that Raen would not get through now. Noticing that Ari did not follow them, but merely walked the opposite direction he ran back and caught her wrist, "Come Ari! Leave Raen to take care of himself! He shall return before dawn! Hurry we must make for cover before the soldiers return!" Already he could hear more shouts of soldiers approaching Raen. He wished to help his brother, but he had to get everyone hidden and when rogues made plans you did not change them or it would turn out disastrously wrong.

Keeping his hand clasped around her wrist, Levi led Ari away. They all ran for cover, Levi pulling Ari along and finally reached Raen's lair. Stepping inside, Levi instantly led them all to the back of the building and knelt on the ground. Putting his ear to the ground he listened before moving on again. Eventually he found what he was looking for and began to scrape away the piles of dust. Lifting a small trap door which opened to a small staircase that was dark and dank, he ushered them all inside.

He briefly checked on the horses and searched for some candles, before returning to the trap door. He noticed that Raen had somehow managed to stick layers of dust down so that it looked untouched when it was closed. He grinned at his brother's ingenuity before going down below himself, shutting the door after him.

[Edited on 1/17/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 04:55
Sighing in exasperation, Aidem was thrust back in to the shadows by Raen. The darkness enveloped the group, and Aidem was beginning to become annoyed with this repetition when Raen lead the back down the alley from which they had just come. This had been going on for several minutes and by now, of course, the theif suspected that there were soldiers abroad, but said nothing. Why else would Raen be acting so oddly?

Aidem couldn't help but grin, and although he was no expert assassin, wonder why Raen hadn't contrived some way of escape other than by fire. It only added to the evidence that the same man had burned all three buildings. He glanced at Raen, somewhat puzzled at how he would manage to get out them out of this one.

The assassin scanned the surrounding area anxiously. Sighing, as if taking the best choice out of many bad ones, Raen quickly whispered something to his shadowed twin, who nodded knowingly. Levi jumped to reach the roof of the nearest building, and swung himself up onto the tiles. Raen quickly helped Sila climb onto the building while Aidem sprung up to grasp the overhanging tiles of the roof. He hauled himself up, none too gracefully, as he was used to the thatch on the poorer homes, if at all used to climbing on buildings. He generally preferred using the streets, or the random doors and windows of shops as escape routs.

Aidem helped Ari up with a nod, before glancing over his shoulder to see a swirl of cape and flash of metal. There was one soldier who wouldn't be going home tonight.

The theif nearly lost his balance on the slick roofing when he saw Raen's head suddenly pop up over the edge of the roof. He steadied himself and walked, somewhat warily, to the other side of the building, where Levi stood, looking out upon a landscape of dancing lights. The clusters of torches illuminating various areas around the city was rather unnerving. They sent odd shadows skittering in the streets closest to them and lit up the night with an orange glow.

Suddenly, Aidem found himself wondering what kind of family lived in the building below him, they were probably sleeping peacefully now, with no clue as to what went on around them in the city to keep them safe. He also happened to wonder where they kept their silver and valuables, as there had to be much of it. However, the theif returned his attention to the problem on hand and caught the last part of the conversation between Levi and Raen, '-return to my house as quickly as possible- it is the only place they are afraid to search, although they may now!' Aidem saw Levi nod before turnng to Ari, Sila, and him, urging them to go. Snorting, Aidem muttered under hs breath that he needed no more incentive to hurry than that which was already at hand.

Making his way across the city by rooftop with an assassin, a noble, an Elf, and....well.....whatever Levi was, was a new eperience for Aidem. It wasn't at a what he'd call enjoyable, especially at the pace that was set. The rooftops were slick under his feet, and on occasion the gaps between houses seemed impossibly wide. Despite his normal 'risk it all to win it all' attitude, Aidem was always wary of heights, especially after that night.

Much to his relief, they soon came to the end of the rooftops, only to find something worse: more soldiers. They gathered in a small clearing which needed to be crossed to reach safety. Raen quickly instructed Levi on what he was to do before farewelling Ari and glancing at Aidem.

'Try to get along with Levi until my return! Make sure everyone stays put and I am leaving you and Levi in charge!' Raen said. Aidem stared at him incredulously. How stupid did the man think he was?! Aidem knew they were in danger and wasn't arrogant enough to challenge Levi when other people's lives rested on the success of their escape.

'Who says I'm stay-' Aidem began, but Raen turned on his heel without a word and dropped silently to the ground below. Aidem heard Raen's first words of greeting to the soldiers, muffled as they were, and turned to follow Levi.

They quickly found themselves on the ground and crept to wait by the edge of the building until Raen had stirred up enough of a turmoil for them to slip past unhindered. Chocking back a laugh, Aidem heard one of the soldiers read off Raen's list of misconducts, having to pause to take a breath half way through. Suddenly all hell broke loose. The soldiers lurched forward, and Levi echod their movement, siezing the opportune moment to dash from their shady cover across the clearing. Levi suddenly darted past, and Aidem looked over his shoulder to see him catch Ari by the wrist and tug her along after him. Aidem continued running past Sila who had paused as if to wait for the other two.

'C'mon!' Aidem said as he sprinted ahead. However, Sila was intelligent enough not to wait, and had begun running before the words even left Aidem's mouth.

Sounds of fighting rang out behind them and Aidem gritted his teeth in an effort not to turn back and fight. How it irked him to run from those idiot soldiers! They were nothing to be feared, their only advantage lying in their numbers.

The rest of the city flew past them as the group ran to Raen's 'home.' Levi sprinted up the stairs and ran through the door, Aidem followed, coming in last, but not before cursing as he tripped in the large hole he had made earlier. A trap door was flung open in the half-light to show a dark staircase leading to a darker room. Levi swiftly instructed them all inside, and Aidem obeyed, grudgingly. The room was rather cramped, not to mention the musty smell that hung in the air, hinting at years of little or no use at all. The only sound in the room was that of it's inhabitants trying to catch their breath, and the shadows seemed to muffle even that.

Levi soon returned, pulling the door shut behind him, but not before lighting a candle, which he set on a small pocket that had been hollowed out of the wall. Sighing, Aidem folded his arms over his chest and leaned against the wall, kicking his heel at the floor lightly, wondering if Raen's game of cat and mouse had gone as well as their's.

[Edited on 17/1/2004 by Vende]

[Edited on 17/1/2004 by Gilraen]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 11:35
Sila panted quietly as she flopped down in the damp room below Raen's house. She wondered what would happen if she went home and told everyone she was alright. But no, she thought, Silly me, I forgot that I'm being held for ransom! She laughed quietly, finding it funny that she had forgotten how she had gotten into this business in the first place.

"What's so funny?" Aidem asked, surprising Sila. He hadn't really said much of anything to her, other than to tell her to run. She smiled.

"I just realized that I had forgotten that I am a hostage." she said matter-of-factly. "It seemed funny that I could forget that."
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 02:53
Evethire watched her go trying not to make any noise. It made him smile. Eorlas moved behind him. Evethire nodded.

"You say you won't be sleeping in your room tonight. Why is that?" Ëorlas inquired, just loud enough for Evethire to hear.

Evethire tried looking neutral at his cousin and then sighed deeply.
"Well, I have to be courtious and also it will do me good to stay under the silent stars, for they might end up being our guide." he whispered very quietly raising an eyebrow. "You know what I mean. However less you you would and Lady Aireon would care to join me on my walk? Which I dont mind if you refuse." He smiled and looked down. Noticing that his silver ring was missing. He raised his eyes again to stare back at Eorlas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Altariel still heard the voices of merry voices downstairs laughing joyfully. Nothing stired near her. She looked back at her fingers playing with the ring. She wondered if he wanted it. The elvish was faded as it had oviously travelled far distances. Though what was distinguishable read "Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle" Which in common tongue read "May thy paths be green and the breeze on thy back" It saddened her to think might have given it to him but for the present it remained a mystery. She went to the window of the room and stared out at peacful lumber that had settled on Minas Tirith. They would be leaving tomorrow and Altariel realised she had no waepon to wield.
She could not do anything to help right now so she instead hastened to her bed. The ring she layed on the bed-side table and closed her eyes watching it shine like mithril in the darkened room.

[Edited on 1/18/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Electra
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 08:36
(Wow sorry for not posting in a while I hope this is alright)

Noticing Ëorlas lean closer to his cousin, Evethire, Aireon let them alone assuming they wanted to talk without another’s ears. Glancing about the room while the two conversed her bright blue eyes watched as humans sang drunkenly their voices a high off key as they sloshed their ale about, and laughter cracked the sky with its volume.

Words from Evethire spoken slightly louder then a whisper, yet not enough to travel past Aireon’s ears broke her thought process, and returned her concentration to Ëorlas and Evethire, "You know what I mean. However less you would and Lady Aireon would care to join me on my walk? Which I don’t mind if you refuse.”

She overheard them speaking of stars earlier but had not the heart to eaves drop any further and thought a walk beneath the stars was the offer Evethire was proposing to Ëorlas and herself. Leaning to the side of Ëorlas’ shoulder Aireon answered quietly, “I would be more then glad to.” Aireon slept beneath the stars quite often, and now preferred land more then the ocean depths, although her deep blue eyes could never escape the beauty of the sea, mixed with a sparkle of the sky. A smile crossed her scarlet lips as she thought of acquiring the supplies they would need on their journey, for she knew just where to find them. “I shall gather supplies we may need to take on our journey such as food provisions and weapons,” Aireon whispered only loud enough for their ears. Her brow furrowed in thought How would she acquire a horse, for she had none, and at this late hour the gentleman who sold horses would be comfortably asleep with his hard bottle companion in hand. Concluding to walk and run, Aireon smiled, for she never minded either, and was still quite better upon her feet then riding a horse. Gazing up at Ëorlas laughter tickled at the edges of her mouth remembering the first time he tried teaching her how to ride a horse, which at first she was very unsuccessful at, and more then slightly clumsy.
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 01:09
“I would be more then glad to.”

Lady Aireon had joined them. Her eyes of deep sapphire shone brightly. Evethire smiled. He never knew she had heard them. He better work on being more secretive but of all the ears to hear hers weren't at all bad.
"And you dear cousin?" he whispered sarcasticly.
As he answered Evethire noticed the maiden and kind sir that Altariel had came in with. They were seated talking.
"Well Eorlas, and Lady we might not leave quiet yet, if it is all the same to you."
As they agreed he lead them back to the table where the others were sitting and pulled out a chair for Lady Aireon because he was nearest. They sat down.
A young maiden came over to them. She was probably the Bartender's daughter.
Her voice rang out over the roars of gentle merriment "Can I get you anything?"

[Edited on 18/1/2004 by Princess_Greenleaf]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 04:43
She started to ask Raen about where they were all going as he let her hand drop to her side, but he raised a finger to his lips as he went forward alone. She raised a hand to signal to the others that they were stopping, and they all took a moment to catch their breath. Rushing back a few seconds later, Raen grabbed her hand once more and led them away.

Raen directed them all up a building, and he told her to go up and meet Levi. She climbed up quickly, glancing back to see Raen, dagger in hand, confront a soldier. She opened her mouth to cry out, but suddenly found Levi's hand clapped over her mouth as he pulled her on top of the building. She glared at him, but he merely turned back to the others.

They all looked out at the city from the rooftop, seeing several groups of people, whcih she found out from Raen and Levi were soldiers. The two brothers conversed briefly about what to do before jumping to another rooftop as the others followed.

They stopped at one building, and after a brief word with Levi Raen turned and pulled her to him with his hands about her waist, and kissed her. He pulled his head back and looked into her eyes for a moment. She was wondering what he and Levi had been talking about, but before she could look down to see Raen put his hand around her chin and made her look at him. His eyes said goodbye, and she started to protest, but he put a finger to her lips.

"I will see you at dawn if not sooner!"

He then said something to the others and left. Levi led the others away, and as she started to go back took her wrist and led her back. She looked back one last time, and her eyes met with Raen's but then he was gone and Levi was leading her away. She struggled but Levi kept a tight hold on her wrist as they made their way back to Raen's house, if you could call it that. They went inside and wandered about until Levi found a small trapdoor and led them down the narrow stairs.

"What are you both thinking? He could be killed! We have to go back and help him!" Ari whirled about on Levi as he closed the door above them.

"Him? Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be alright. He can take care of himself." Levi just calmly sat down on the hard, wet floor beneath them.

Ari looked on in disbelief as Levi calmly lit a candle and set it down in the midst of them. She sighed and sat down as well, seeing that the others seemed to be as calm as he. She thought back to what Raen had said earlier, and wondered how she would even know when dawn was in this narrow, dark room underground.
GreenEyedElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 04:54
He whispered very quietly raising an eyebrow. "You know what I mean. However less you would and Lady Aireon would care to join me on my walk? Which I dont mind if you refuse."

The corners of Ëorlas's thin lips curved upward into a smirk as he listened to Evethire. It was surely a good thing that they understood eachother so well without having to use words, and speak openly about the riddle. As he thought about Evethire's offer, he placed the parchment back in his pocket and looked around the inn with his dark blue eyes. Not even a few moments later, Ëorlas felt someone lightly brush up against his arm. It was Aireon, and she was smiling that lovely smile she always had on her face. “I would be more than glad to.” she answered quietly, not surprising Ëorlas in the least that she had heard them.

"And you dear cousin?" Evethire whispered sarcasticly.
"But of course!" Ëorlas said, returning the sarcasm.

“I shall gather supplies we may need to take on our journey such as food provisions and weapons,” Aireon whispered only loud enough for their ears. Ëorlas drew his eyes away from a man eyeing them in the corner smoking his pipe, and glanced at Aireon. She was right! With only the few hours they had left before their departure, they barely had anything to travel more than a few days with.

"Well Ëorlas, and m'Lady we might not leave quiet yet, if it is all the same to you." Evethire said.

They agreed, and followed Evethire to the table that they had sat at previously. "Can I get you anything?" the barmaid asked in her sweetest voice. Ëorlas declined the offer and pulled up a chair next to Aireon. He listened carefully to Evethire speak with the others sitting at the table.

[Edited on 19/1/2004 by Gilraen]
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 11:43
((hehe should be interesting! Ah well Raen will sort himself out ))

Raen continued to fight the soldiers, attacking everyone in reach, however he was soon outnumbered by about twenty extra soldiers and he knew that he had to escape or else he would be trapped. Suddenly dropping to the ground, Raen moved as fast as lightning as he felt the soldiers throwing themselves over him. Scrambling out of the tangle of soldiers, Raen picked himself up and began to run. He laughed, his face an expression of pure glee at the thought of how easily he had just tricked twenty or more soldiers.

Spinning around a corner, Raen skidded to an abrupt halt. An even larger group of soldiers stood in wait for him. He could hear the shouts and rapid approach of more soldiers behind him also. He took a sharp left and spying an open window, swiftly climbed through it. As soon as he landed he realised that there was a maiden sitting by the fire. She screamed at the sight of him and ran to the window calling for help. Raen wasn't surprised as it wasn't every night that a dark man covered in blood with a bloodstained dagger jumped in your window.

Throwing open the door he raced through the house. Cursing at the nobles for never have escape routes he proceeded to find a way out. Looking out a window he could see a group of guards waiting for him at the door as he expected. Climbing out of the windows, Raen hoisted himself up onto the roof. He rapidly began to make his way across the roofs once more.

Suddenly a slight movement caught his eye. Taking a closer look he realised that there were now soldiers on the rooftops. He swore loudly, his one reliable network now broken. He scanned down at all the secret side allies he knew but realised that they had been discovered and guarded. He knew now that he had to stay on the rooftops as the were his only chance. He just hoped that these guards weren't ex-criminals who knew how to pursue someone across the roofs.

However luck was not with Raen that night. The soldiers were experts as he soon discovered and he had to run quickly, not having any time to calculate how wide a jump to take, often making near fatal mistakes. Eventually, when he had reached nearly the other side of the city, he could no longer hear their footsteps. Slowing down, Raen sighed deeply and continued on at a slower pace. He began to relax but kept a sharp eye for any danger.

As he neared the edge of some tiles, he spied something moving in the corner of his eye. He saw a figure leaping out at him. Springing out of the way, Raen leapt across to the next roof instantly. However, as soon as he was in midair, five soldiers appeared on the opposite side. Cursing, realising that he had been ambushed, Raen attempted to twist out of the way. Thrusting his dagger forward, he caught a soldier across the neck sending him on his fatal descent to the ground. Twisting himself so he would land prepared to fight, Raen pulled out another dagger.

Suddenly as Raen landed he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen, causing him to fall on the ground. Before he had a chance to rise the soldiers were upon him and had his hands bound in thick chains. Raen fought but it was no use as they were joined by another eight soldiers. He looked down at his abdomen and saw a large dagger embedded deeply into his flesh. He could see that part of the hilt had sunken in also. He groaned and shook his head knowing how difficult it was to take it out if it was in too deep. If the soldiers were going to stab someone they could at least learn how to do it properly. Either kill the person or wound them enough to prevent them from retaliating, but not in between with the dagger heavily lodged where it would be hard to uplift.

Moments later, they dragged Raen up and brought him through the house and back towards the street. Raen discovered that it was best not to fight as they only pushed him forward, causing the dagger to sink in deeper. He winced, the last thing he needed was a large hole left in his stomach.

Dragging him up the steps of the prison, they proceeded to haul him through the passageways until finally arriving at the cell. Stripping him of his daggers, but not before he had reduced their number by two, they thrust him inside and firmly slammed the door. Raen fell to the ground and sighed. Looking around him he grinned in spite of himself recognising his usual cell. Home Sweet Home

Pulling out his miniature dagger which they never found, he struggled over in his chains and carved another 'R' into the stone beside his large collection. Sinking back to the ground he gave the dagger a sharp tug but it wouldn't budge. Leaning against the wall he cursed before closing his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What are you both thinking? He could be killed! We have to go back and help him!" Ari whirled about on Levi as he closed the door above them.

"Him? Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be alright. He can take care of himself." Levi just calmly sat down on the hard, wet floor beneath them. He lit a pipe he had stolen from Raen and sighed contently sitting back. The chamber had filled with an awkward silence apart from the odd whispering. Levi paid no attention to anyone but was too wrapped up in his own thoughts. He was sure that Raen would return.
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 02:06
(((Hey, Arwen!! Is Raen gonna get out of prison himself, or is it time for a rescue mission?! )))

'Indeed, I should say he can. If Raen wanted help he would have asked for it. All the same, we probably shouldn't say or do too much down here. If Raen is captured they will demand to know where we are. And,' Aidem added as an afterthought, 'even if he doesn't tell them this will be the first place they look. Noise would only aid them in their efforts to find us.' The theif sat with his back to the cold wall, and thought for a while. True, there was no way to tell the time down here, but Aidem had always had a fairly good sense of time, and it seemed that Raen had been gone for a while.

Sighing and growing restless, the theif glanced at Levi, 'Shouldn't we be ready to leave here if Raen doesn't return and things go ill?' He was reluctant to ask Levi his thoughts, but couldn't find a way around it. As much as he hated to doubt Raen, he could find no way around that either. Expect the worst and be surprised when it comes out for the better: a technique that had yet to fail him.

[Edited on 20/1/2004 by eldir]
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 01:25
The eyes of the barmaid followed the faces. "No thank you" Evethire replied softly.
She left with still smiling. Evethire raised his eyebrows. As the conversation finiahed Evethire turned to Alagithildin.
"Lady Alagithildin, I believe Altariel has found you a room, and also one for Sir Randir. I think she left the keys with the bartender, knowing her." He grinned and shook his head gently. "So I hear you are fimiliar with this part of Middle-earth, where is it that you live, if you dont mind me asking."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Altariel woke with a sudden yelp. She felt her hot body perpiring. She had felt pain, her hand had stung immobilising her. Her breath was grabbed from her lungs. She was yelping and drowning.
Now she felt shivery and her heart raced frightened. She stared into darkness and it stared back. It had been a nightmare but it had seemed as real as life. She lay back down rubbing her hand as if it had been painfully stung.
Nothing she hoped was as evil to cause her that pain!
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 01:10
((heh well I think a rescue mission will take too long so I'll just get him out by himself someway or other! It would've been fun but there will be plenty more opportunities to come ))

Raen swallowed, his abdomen was throbbing painfully and already he was sitting around a pool of his own blood. He sighed heavily before giving the dagger another detesting tug, however it would not budge as he already knew. Raen was an expert on dagger wounds and he knew that it would be hard to patch this one up, but it did not bother him too much as he was made of sterner material and it would not prove fatal for him, although it would for many others. He knew how to remove it but unfortunately it was too difficult to take it out himself.

Looking out the small window, he could see that already much of the night was spent and dawn would soon be awakening. He looked around him, knowing that he had to escape soon in order to rejoin the others. He had no doubt the soldiers were already planning his execution. Thinking over his escape he began to chose the best option. He couldn't fake his death as he had already done it before and they wouldn't fall for that trick again. Deciding to wait and grab an opportunity when he saw it, he closed his eyes again.

Some time passed and eventually Raen made up his mind to create his own opportunity. Lighting his pipe, the cell soon filled with smoke and wafted out into the passageways. It did not take long for the footsteps to come marching down the passage, or the soldier to realise which cell it came from. Stopping out Raen's door, the guard hammered loudly on it.

"Put that pipe out now!"

Raen grinned slyly and hollered back, "I shall when I am finished! If it bothers you so much then why don't you come in and take it?!" He knew the guards couldn't stand being taunted or disobeyed. Hearing the guard hesitate he added, "Or are you too afraid?"

The guard glared behind the door and growled, "Of course not!" Fiddling with the keys, he opened the cell door and marched in, however he was not cautious enough as Raen was waiting for him.

Raen raised his small dagger and thrust it towards the soldiers throat, the dagger hitting it's mark perfectly. "Well you should be!" He muttered as the guard fell noiselessly to the ground.

Wasting no time, Raen swiftly but carefully took the guard's uniform and dressed himself in it, finding it awkward to conceal the dagger, but finally arranged the cloak over it. Stepping out of the cell he locked it after him before strolling down the passage, keeping his head low and nodding to the guards he passed, none of them suspecting anything for an instant.

Running down the steps, he entered the jailer's room and finding him asleep, he retrieved his weapons before leaving. He continued to make his way through the winding passages of the prison towards the nearest escape route he knew. Stopping briefly to regain his breath, he looked irritably down at the dagger as it was slowing him down. He soon continued on and made his way out to the streets without any further trouble.

As he stepped into the shadows, he looked up at the sky and knew that Levi and the others would have already left as it was nearly dawn, Deciding to meet them there he turned down a street and headed towards the inn. The streets were now quiet without a guard in sight as they all thought they had captured their fugitive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Shouldn't we be ready to leave here if Raen doesn't return and things go ill?'

Levi looked over at Aidem, surprised he would ask him a question, but resisted the urge to sneer and taunt him. Instead he simply answered, "The horses are already prepared," he paused as he calculated the amount of time Raen had been absent for and how much longer until dawn before continuing, "We shall give him one more hour and if he has not returned by then we shall continue on without him."

He resettled himself and boredly unsheathed all his daggers, testing if they were all sharp although they always were. The silence made him agitated and he shifted around uncomfortably. He was beginning to wonder what was taking Raen so long. He knew it would have taken him some time to lose the soldiers but not this long. He shook his head, thinking that perhaps he had decided to have a bit more fun and had led them across the whole city or was up to his usual antics.

After Levi had judged that the hour was up, he rose and resheathed all his daggers before looking at the others. "Well it is time to leave if we are to be there by dawn!" Blowing out the candle, Levi pushed the overhead trap-door open slightly as he climbed up the stairs and looked around him incase of any soldiers. Realising that the soldiers had not even visited the premises, he swung the trap-door back and emerged from the stairs.

Making his way outside, he kept a sharp eye on his surroundings in case of an ambush. He strode ahead of the others, not wanting to answer any questions. Ignoring any voices he heard behind him, Levi began to untie the horses' reins and handed two quiet horses to Ari and Sila. Seeing Aidem and Karay take their own horses, he looked over at the remaining two and could see that Raen had obviously chosen the black one for himself. Taking them both, he had some difficulty leading the fiery-tempered horses but eventually managed to quieten them both down, holding them close to their metal bits in their mouth. He grinned at the bad tempered horse Raen had chosen for him and could see his brother's sense of humour.

The mood of the company was grim when they realised that they were leaving without Raen. Levi's face was set with determination as he lead them on. He kept up a fairly fast pace and chose to lead the horses rather than ride them to their destination. Taking Raen's horse with him, they drew near the area where they had last seen him. There were a few corpses of soldiers littering the street, but other than that it was empty.

As they progressed through the city, Levi noticed that not a single guard was to be seen. He frowned, knowing that they would not have given up their search that easily, unless they had of course finished it. He knew that either Raen had managed to draw all the soldiers away on some miraculous wild goose chase, or else they had caught him. Levi had a feeling it was the latter, but continued on regardless. Raen knew of the importance of this journey and wouldn't be left behind, or so Levi guessed.

They passed through the remainder of their walk to the inn with surprising ease and Levi halted the whole company in the courtyard just before they reached the inn. It was not yet dawn and it was best to wait until their new comrades emerged from the inn. Sighing, Levi tied the horses up firmly and gazed watchfully around him. He could see Ari's distressed look and the grim or concerned gaze of the others. He knew that they didn't exactly relish the thought of staying with him without Raen, but Levi felt the same about them.

The sun began to awaken, her first rays skimming lightly across the landing stretching before her, illuminating a golden path on the rooftops of the buildings as she began to show her face over the mountains, creeping up slowly. Levi knew that it would soon be time to meet the others within the hour. Raen was cutting it very fine, if he was still planning to meet them in time.

Suddenly a movement in the dark shadows at the opposite end of the street caught Levi's eye. He cocked his head and took a closer look. Spotting the distinctive garb of a soldier he growled and waited for them to draw closer, trying to determine whether it was a trap or not. Levi was unused to being in a group and knew it was harder to co-ordinate with them. Flicking out a dagger as the soldier was near enough to hear him he uttered threateningly, "What do you want?!"

He saw the soldier stop, but they still did not look up. Stepping out of the shadows, they replied humorously, "Well is that really a way to greet your brother who has just spent the whole night clearing the streets of soldiers?!" Lifting his head, Raen grinned at them all and crossed the final distance between them, standing beside Levi.

"I was wondering where you were!" Levi told him and gave him a hard shove, sending him across the street. Levi cocked an eyebrow in surprise, knowing that Raen was more steadfast than that and he should have remained where he was. He saw Raen wince as he looked down but straightened again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raen tried to disguise his pain and look down as he winced before returning to them. He saw Levi's confused expression and knew he was looking him over for any serious injury to see if that was the cause. However Raen had concealed the dagger expertly with the cloak.

He saw Ari step towards him, but before she had neared him he stood back and shook his head. He saw the hurt look she gave him and he sighed. Guessing by the looks he was receiving they could tell something was wrong. He heard Levi beside him,

"What's wrong with you brother? Anyone would think that you had a spear driven straight through you!" Levi jested, but seeing Raen's face his grin faltered slightly.

Raen laughed, although it hurt him to do so. "Indeed brother your guess is close to the reality!" He pushed his cloak back to reveal the other half of the soldier's uniform, already heavily stained with blood. At the side of his lower abdomen, the dagger stuck out where it had been lodged firmly.

((okay I know I jumped ahead a bit but feel free to backtrack as much as you need - I just figured that we need to meet up again soon ))
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 01:38
Sila gasped when she saw the blood on Raen's clothes. True, he would likely be fine, and really deserved it for all the trouble he'd caused in the past couple of days, but still it made Sila's heart skip a beat. Because no matter how much of a rascal he was, Raen was her friend, and she didn't like to see her friends get hurt. She watched, squeamish, as Raen and Levi discussed pulling the dagger out, but she didn't really hear them. So much blood...it reminded her of Minas Tirith after the attack by the Dark Lord. Before she realized what had happened, Levi was stalking off to wash his hands, and Ari was wrapping Raen up, grousing at him for getting hurt. Sila sighed and followed Levi to the little well nearby; her mouth had gone dry.

As Sila walked up, she heard Levi grumbling to himself and banging the bucket around, but he seemed upset, not just agravated. She stood behind him for a moment, not knowing whether to walk away or ask for the bucket so she could get her drink. Finally she tentatively reached out a hand to tap Levi on the shoulder and get his attention. When her fingertips brushed the material of Levi's shirt, he suddenly whipped around, grabbing her wrist.

"I-I'm sorry," Sila managed to whisper. Her heart was pounding, and there was a strange glint in Levi's eyes that scared her.

"Don't. Touch me." he growled, and went back to the others, leaving Sila shaken by the well.

((Sorry to do that. Rush ahead again, I mean, but pulling knives out of people is boy's work Everyone feel free to say what went on then and etc. I just wanted to keep us moving, ya know? or not, but whatever :love: You still love me, right? :love: ))

[Edited on 21/1/2004 by CarolP]
~GilEstel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 06:34
Alagithildin looked up at Evethire slightly surprised, "Oh, thankyou! I don't live anywhere to be honest with you. But I am very farmiliar with this part of middle earth, yes, I have traveled here for many years. My friend Randir abides in Minis Tirith, and I come visit him often. Sometimes he acompanies me on my journies and errends." She said quietly, and yawned. "Yes, she's never in one place for long. The only reason she comes to visit me is if she's broken one of her weapons!" Randir snorted earning him a slap from Alagithildin. A look of shock passed over her face, "That is such a lie! I visit you whenever I can! You rotten lier, I can fix my own weapons just fine! I come and visit to see you!" Randir rolled his eyes, "Obviously, we're feeling a bit tiered and it's impaired our train of thought, my dear Alagithildin! I think I'm correct in saying it's time for bed for you! If you'll excuse us please Evethire, I believe we'll retier for the night. Thank you!"

Alagithildin glared at him and drank the last of her ale then stomped off towards the bar keeper to retrieve their keys.

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by eldir]
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 01:11
"Oh, thankyou! I don't live anywhere to be honest with you. But I am very farmiliar with this part of middle earth, yes, I have traveled here for many years. My friend Randir abides in Minis Tirith, and I come visit him often. Sometimes he acompanies me on my journies and errends."

Evethire listened silent as she replied and then turned to Randir at the mention of his name.

"Yes, she's never in one place for long. The only reason she comes to visit me is if she's broken one of her weapons!" the man stated. Alagithildin wasn't impressed.
Evethire leaned back in his chair and looked over at Eorlas and nodded to say I'll be there in a second.
AN small friendly argument broke between the two. Evethire leaned to say something about leaving to his cousin but the argument had subsided.

"Obviously, we're feeling a bit tiered and it's impaired our train of thought, my dear Alagithildin! I think I'm correct in saying it's time for bed for you! If you'll excuse us please Evethire, I believe we'll retier for the night. Thank you!"

"Not a problem in the world my friends" Evethire replied merrily,
"I hope you sleep well and I hope also to see you at dawn"
He frowned as they both tackled the tricky stairs and disappeared along the corridor.
Evethire frowned "Shall we proceed? I never said you had to come if you'd rather."He turned towards the door.

A few moments later a nightly breeze hissed along the stone work. Te inn was very warm and cozy while the true world was colder. Evethire felt it become colder but he never felt as if he were a man not an elf. The stars still speckled the velvety sky above. The looked like diamonds sparkling brightly.
He turned around to see the door close and the others coming out. The stars were reflected in their deep eyes.
The trio started to stroll slowly down the uneven ground.
"Do tell me of your past for I believe it is a great story" Evethire muttered quietly to the accompaning elves.As Eorlas and Aireon spoke Evethire noticed his room window, dark and cold. He did wish that Altariel was okay.
The voices of his cousin and Aireon was like a loud sound compared to the silence that lingered at every corner that they passed. A few figures were present hiding from identity accompaning the corners. Cloaks covered their faces but still they watched the elves moving sowly away.
Footsteps rose echoing around like a chorus. Evethire looked behind to see guards of rushing manner. The passed away soon after not coming close. Evethire shivered to wonder who would be thrown into a cold dark cell and would probably stay there for eternity it would seem. Less they got out.

The plumage of the faithful sky turned towards a brighter midnight blue but still the night flowed on. Aireon had spoke of getting supplies for the journey. Indeed Evethire found great gratitude towards her and his cousin who had already proved an aid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
quote: “I shall gather supplies we may need to take on our journey such as food and weapons,”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They started looking for places to get the needed provisions.
They went to many different places. Evethire bought a small elvish knife for Altariel incase she didn't have any weapons. He supposed that she might have lost them in the battle near Rohan.They also got food and other weapons.
Sleep did not seem to press upon Evethire but even though they did sit down for a while. He murmured to them "I have been trying to make head nor tail of the riddle but it isn't as easy as I thought." then he resited:
There are hills of grey
skies of blue
And seas that cannot be fathomed of green,
Perhaps this riddle is all but a dream,

"It may mean the iron hills because it talks of grey hills, I dont really know. What do you think?"

Dawn drew near. He listened to the birds waking one by one to get ready for dawn.The sky bloted the inky colour away. Calm and warm hue mixed through the first morning brightness as the hushed land went orange.
Lady Aireon and Eorlas and Evethire made their winding way back towards the inn for the time before the meeting of comrades. Maybe might want some breakfast. Evethire had some lembas in his cloak that he planned to bring on the journey.
As they found there eyes resting on the inn Evethire spotted some others approaching.

(Do fill in the bits I left out for each of you characters. Thanks :love

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by Princess_Greenleaf]

[Edited on 24/1/2004 by eldir]
elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 12:14
((Hope you folks don't mind me joining. I asked permission from Arwen_Undomiel quite a few days back ^^ I was waiting until you all went out of the Inn but.....here I go anyways..))

If anyone had been accompaning her, and told her that she was terribly lost, Alassë would have given that person a bit bit of her mind. But for once in her long life, she was willing to admit that she was lost.

She turned to the falcon sitting on her shoulder, "Fly and see how much more of this forest we have to pass Moriel." The falcon stretched her tanned feathers and swooped away through the trees. Alassë clicked her tongue softly, urging her mare to trot after the falcon.

She stopped when she heard a sharp crack behind her. Her dark aburn hair whipped behind her as her dark blue eyes searched for the sound. Not only was the sound followed by voices but also with loud, racious singing. Alassë frowned. These definetly were not elves. These sounded more like ruffians. Given the way they were singing, laughing and jeering at each other.

Alassë dismounted and began to lead Foley by hand, hoping that if they stayed silent, the bandits would go away without much of a fight. But as fate would have it, at that vey moment Moriel returned with a loud shriek. Alassë closed her eyes and wished that she had only imagined it. But given that the laughing had turned to shouts of anger and confusion, she had not been imagining it. She leaned against her beech staff and waiting, not seeing any purpose in running once her presence was known.

She waited, half in the shadows as the bandits appeared before her. They were quite drunk and had their weapons out. She assumed that the leader was the man with the acceptionally large sword. The man leered at her and spoke, leaning against his sword, "Hello my pretty. And what might you be doing in our woods?" Alassë sneered at him, "When last I inquired, these woods belonged to no-one. Especially drunkards and fools like you." The drunken smile changed into a sneer as he replied,"You realise those words seal your fate."

Alassë merely raised her staff in a fighting stance as a reply. The man smiled humorlessly as he motioned his men to attack her. She counted the men silently, trying to keep her eyes on all 7 at the same time. Which was fruitless as she was completely surronded. Within a short time, both she and the ruffians had sustained quite a few injuries. But the lackeys had backed away from her, they had never expected a women to put up such a fight!

The leader murmured a curse as he approched her. Alassë defiently raised her eyes and staff up. As she stepped forward to attack him, a bandit from behind hit her hard on the head with a large piece of wood. She immediatly crumpled to the ground, half concious as the men surronded her. But they had forgotten her animals. Moriel flew at the men, tugging at their hair and trying to scratch their faces while Foley began to kick at them, wanting to get to her mistress. Successful at going so, she whinnined to Alassë, who groggily managed to situp on the saddle. She vaguely registered the wound on he head, torso and arms, all of which were bleeding. She rested her head against Foley's neck as she rode away from the bandits.

Next thing she saw was an Inn. She dropped down quite ungracefully and weakly knocked at the door before collapsing at the doorstop.

[Edited on 25/1/2004 by eldir]
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 12:03
(((Hey, welcome to the thread, elvish_angel!!!! I hope you have as good a time here as the rest of us do!!!! Of course we still loooove you, Rosie. Nice touch about Sila having the heebie-jeebies, though. Not everyone can tolerte lots of blood, and when you have a whole group of stoic people, it's kinda boring. )))

Aidem grimaced when Raen moved his cloak away from his body to reveal a dagger embedded in his side. But, it obviously wasn't fatal, as he had made it this far, just painful. He was, however, quite surprised that the artful and masterful assassin had been caught off his guard.
Levi quickly extracted the dagger, and Ari helped bandage Raen's side. Sila was obviously unnerved by the sight, and Aidem, well, he just sat upon his horse and wondered how it was that Raen managed to escape, wounded as he was, and walk halfway across town in the dark to find them.
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 12:51
((hey great to have you here angel :love: Yay the 200th post! ))

Levi watched as Raen pulled his cloak back to reveal a heavily bloodstained shirt. He raised his eyebrows knowing that it was a large wound if he had lost so much blood. Suddenly a glint caught his eye through the early morning dusk and he realised that at the very heart of the stained shirt was a dagger.

Letting out a low whistle he walked forward to take a closer look at Raen's abdomen. Reaching out to the dagger he gave it a sharp tug much to the irritation of Raen, and saw that it was firmly wedged in place. He shook his head and looked bemusedly at his brother. "How did you manage this Raen?" He asked, his eyebrow cocked as he continued to look at the dagger.

"Clearing away the guards especially for all of you! You should be thankful as you may have noticed there isn't one to be found on the streets!" He replied hoarsely.

Levi nodded, "Indeed I have noticed. So much so that I presumed you were in prison."

"Your presumptions are correct for that is where I have come from. You may notice that I am in the garb of a prison soldier. I find that no matter how familiar your face is, the soldiers won't look twice at you if you are in their attire."

Levi glanced at his brother in surprise. He was astonished to hear that Raen had been in and out of prison so quickly, especially since he was injured. He laughed before changing the subject back to what they were to do about his abdomen. Ordering Raen to take off his shirt, he waited as Raen took some time to take it off. Once he had done so, Levi pulled out a dagger before tearing it into long strips that would serve as a bandage. Throwing the bloody half onto the street he handed the rest to Ari for her to hold. He turned back to Raen and looked down at the ugly wound closely.

"Well...." he began, "Clearly as you know Raen there is only really two ways to remove this dagger. We could open your wound out further on either side so it can be taken out with ease or there is the other way..." he finished knowledgeably, a devious grin spread across his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raen looked suspiciously at Levi. He did not trust the look on his face or his 'other way' of taking the dagger out. When it came to wounds like this, Raen quite simply did what Levi had already stated but because of the positioning of the wound, he could not do so himself. Eyeing his brother distrustfully he asked slowly, "What other way?"

He saw Levi's grin broaden and wondered if it was wise to ask such a question as he did not yet know his brother well enough to determine his answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi could see his brother's discontent and his grin only broadened at Raen's question. Reaching forward, he grabbed the remaining part of the hilt and gave it a sharp twist before wrenching it out with all of his strength. He could hear his brother swearing loudly and trying to avoid yelling in pain. The dagger did not budge at first but Levi wrenched it once more and it came free. "That way!" he finished.

"You are unbelievably fortunate I didn't thrust a dagger straight through you for doing that! I didn't ask for a demonstration!" Raen spat, his wound causing him agonising pain.

Levi leaned in and examined the gaping wound. Shaking his head he laughed, "Well it's out now! It may be the more painful way but certainly the quickest! You would not stab for helping you now would you?!" Directing Ari to bandage up Raen's wound with the cloth he continued, "A hole in your stomach that size is difficult to keep clean. Raen you shall be lucky if that does not become infected, for if it does..." he did not finished his sentence as he knew he did not need to. Raen understood perfectly well.

Looking down at his hands he noticed that they were covered in blood. Turning away, he began to walk towards a well that was around the corner. After dealing with Raen's wound, he began to feel a familiar sharp pain in his shoulder. He tugged at his shirt and growled softly, wondering why it was causing him so much bother after remaining still for the past few years. He looked down at his shirt and realised that he had just covered it in blood. Grumbling to himself about the mess and his scar, he grabbed the wooden bucket and drew some water from the well. He washed his hands and divested them of blood before replacing the bucket.

Suddenly he felt a hand touching his shoulder and he whirled around, grabbing the person's wrist and wrenching it away. His eyes clouded over like before and he looked darkly at the figure with menace. He saw that it was Sila's wrist he was holding much to his surprise. He had not expected her to be behind him.

"I-I'm sorry," Sila managed to whisper.

"Don't. Touch me." he growled releasing her wrist and stepping away. Turning around he stalked back to the others while they waited, his shoulder burning and his humour turned foul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raen stood very still as Ari began to bandage his abdomen. His wound was causing him a great deal of pain and he wondered if taking the dagger out was such a good idea after all. As the material brushed against his wound, he caught Ari's arm in pain but let her continue a moment later, gritting his teeth and remaining silent. He watched Ari as she continued to cover his wound and he smiled despite his obvious discomfort.

Just then he caught sight of Levi returning from the well. He frowned as he came closer, noticing that Levi looked particularly sullen. However as soon as he approached, he quickly turned away from the group and disappeared into a building. A few minutes later he returned carrying what looked like some material. Stopping beside him, Levi threw a shirt over to Raen before changing his own.

"We shall have to look presentable for this journey!" He told Raen.

Raen nodded and once Ari was finished, he took the shirt. Looking down he saw that he was still wearing the rest of his Ranger's garb apart from the cloak. He pulled the soldier's one off and walked slowly over to his horse knowing he had another one in there. Walking over to where the well was, he filled a bucket of water before pouring it over his head so it would wash away any bloodstains and to refresh himself. Checking that the bandage was still secure, he donned the shirt and threw the cloak around his shoulders.

Glancing up he noticed Sila standing there. He winked at her and was about to walk on when he noticed she looked shaken and upset. Stopping beside her he inquired, "What's wrong? Has something happened?"

Just then he heard Levi's voice calling to say they were leaving. Taking Sila's arm he led her back to the company and whispered in her ear, "Tell me once we have set out from the city." They reached the others and taking his horse from Levi, he led the stallion towards the inn as dawn had arrived. The sunlight began to stream through the city, golden shafts illuminating the cobbled streets and casting it's light into windows and under the cracks of doors.

As they reached the courtyard just before the inn, they caught sight of some of the others waiting already, although Raen could see that there were more yet to come. They approached them a greeted each other before standing to await the arrival of everyone else. Just then Raen remembered he needed to bring some money with him. Nodding to the others briefly he handed his horse to Levi and walked stiffly away, knowing that he had a supply not too far away from here.

When he reached the designated building, he slowly began to climb up it and after several attempts decided to go through the house. He did so as quietly as possible to avoid awakening the residents and finally climbed out onto the roof. Counting his steps as he walked across, he removed some tiles before slinging several sacks of gold onto his back. He quickly returned the way he came and passed by the inn on his way back tot he others. As he passed the door of the inn, he noticed a lone horse standing there and he stopped to see if it belonged to one of their companions. His sharp eyesight soon spotted a figure lying crumpled at the doorway. Looking over he could see it was a maiden and she was injured.

He attempted to bend over, forgetting about his wound and gave out a cry of pain. He cursed knowing that it would take some time to get used to having his wound. Turning away, he took the horse and walked back to the others as quickly as he could. Once he arrived he handed the horse to Aidem and placed the gold on his own horse. He turned to Levi and whispered for him to follow him urgently. Levi threw the reins of both horses to Aidem also and followed Raen immediately. He could hear the horses beginning to fight already and grinned to think of Aidem having to cope with all four of them.

"Well where is she brother?" Levi called out to him.

"She's over here by the inn," Raen answered as he approached the maiden once more. Halting beside her, he looked down at her closely and beckoned Levi to come over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levi looked down a the beautiful maiden and crouched down gently to pick her up. As he did so he became aware of her wounds as he new shirt became stained. He sighed and shook his head before looking at her wounds closely. It appeared that she had been beaten and attacked, frowning he gently carried her back to the others knowing that she needed to be cared for quickly.

[Edited on 25/1/2004 by Arwen_Undómiel22]

[Edited on 26/1/2004 by eldir]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 06:17
Rovan finally found a quiet yard with a tree in the middle of it. With a sigh of relief he sat down. It was so unbelievibly good just to sit! He leaned against the tree ad closed his eyes. Sleep came instanly.
Unfortunately, it was one of the places the guards that were after Raen had chosen as fitting to make an ambush. Rovan was suddenly roused up by men's voices and footsteps. It was only his luck and hearing that was ever on guard that let him wake up and hide in the branches of the tree before the guards noticed him. If he were caught as another suspicious homeless and a possible criminal, and if his true identity were discovered later, he would be handed over to King Eomer and executed before he could even blink! Hidden in the thick shadows he watched the soldiers taking their positions and waiting for somebody. Ah, there he was, the man they were hunting! He was running over rooves, and straight into the ambush. Soon he was surrounded and attacked. Rovan watched the fight with a growing attention. Whoever he was, this criminal surely was a headache for anybody who would counter him. Even being alone he took out a considerable number of soldiers. But there were too many of them even for him. The man was taken captive and brought away, quite unkindly, Rovan had to admit. As the cheering soldiers led him past the tree Rovan had occupied, in the uneven light of the torches it seemed to him that he noticed a wince of pain in the man's face, but it passed at the very instant. Rovan was left wondering whether it had been the games of the torch-light, or the remarkable self-control of the man that made him hide a serious injury, or it was just him seeing things. Rovan decided that it was just him being too tired and shrugged. He decided to stay in the branches of the tree. Just in case.

The remaining part of the night he barely closed his eyes. The memories of himself being hunted came too clear back to him, and he jumped at the slightest sound. Moreover, the hunger he felt grew ever stronger, until as the first people appeared on the quiet streets, he slipped off the tree and, holding his remaining silver coin, headed for the market. There he had to wait another bit of time before he could buy some bread. Four loaves of bread, several days old, was the best he could get. He packed it carefully in his bag, then went to fetch Anto. Dawn was drawing near.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Princess_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 01:21
(Welcome but this greeting is quite late but Hi anyway!)

Evethire greeted the people standing waiting patiently.
The man of Rohan came down soon after arrival. Evethire nodded happily at him.
It was just Altariel to come now.
Evethire made his way towards the door as the barman also did. He smiled and half shouted in his jolly way"Quite a gathering you have there."
Evethire nodded and replied "Yes, yes I do." He turned to look at the gathered essembaly.
"Look, this is a bit strange but would you have any spare food?"
"Ah laddy, you are in good luck, I do." Evethire smiled as the man bustled off to fetch what foodhe had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Altariel turned over and then in complete shock jumped panicked from her warm bed. She ran to the chair in which her cloak lay and grabbed it fiercfully. She got to the door when a glint of silver flashed in the corner of her eye. She clasped the cold silver ring in her hand as she ran not minding about noise until the fifth last step. She bit her lip as an apology. The barman stood near the door , clearly in the way but then she relaxed to see he was talking to Evethire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Evethire!, I sorry Im so late" she ran over to him and gave him a small hug. "Altariel!" Evethire exclaimed a little surprised.
"Oh, here it is yours." She handed him the ring. He looked down at it and whispered "Thank you, I had nearly forgotten about it."

The barman came back with a few loaves of bread and flasks all ready for travel. "You really are a great man Mr Tromkin."
"Well I just hope I see ye all again."
"Well, it may be or may be not. Though I will always trust a hope." Mr Tromkin shook his hand viguriously and then turned to Altariel and made her blush ashe kissed her fair cheek.
"Thank you for everything." she stiffled.
Then they went outside. The sun was getting clearer with every second. It please Evethire immensely but something startled him as he spotted a group approaching.

[Edited on 27/1/2004 by eldir]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 06:12
Ari took the shirt from Levi and continued to tear long strips from it as Levi removed the dagger from Raen's stomach. She winced s he yelled, but then followed Levi's instructions as he told her to bandage his wound.

She carefully wrapped it. Raen grimaced a few times, and once gasped and grabbed her arm to stop her from going any farther.

"Raen," she chided, "you know I have to do this, don't make it take any longer than it has to." He only nodded and pulled back his hand as she went on.

She thought the wound might be pretty serious, as some blood was already beginning to soak through to the outside. He managed to smile in spite of it all as he pulled the new shirt Levi had gotten for him over his head. She wiped off her hands on a few remaining scraps of cloth before turning back to Levi.

"I wish we had some place to stay where he could get that looked at. Raen keeps burning down our options," she grumbled as she got everything packed for their trip. Levi merely smiled and went back to his work.

A little later, Raen came back and then left again with Levi, leaving Aidem with the reins of four horses. She had been hoping that Raen had chosen small, tame horses, but she knew that he wouldn't. These four that he had chosen were prancing around nervously, pawing at the air.

"Here, let me help you with that," she said as she took two horse's reins from Aidem. They kicked at the air and let out a few short noises, but she and Aidem kept them mostly under control as the others were gone.

She looked up as Raen and Levi came back. Levi had in his arms a girl, it looked like, and she took a few steps towards them to see what happened.

"Raen, what happened? Who is this?" She asked, concerned.

((OK guys, sorry it's so short and lame, but I couldn't really think of anything to post. And welcome, elvish_angel!))
GreenEyedElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 12:32
(Backtracking a wee bit! Oh and it’s great to see you elvish_angel)

As he folded his arms and slouched in his chair, the tall slender elf listened to Evethire's conversation. Looking around the room, he could see people staring at them, and he glared back at them with dark blue eyes; flickering with the reflection of the dim candles lit about the room. Returning his focus back to the vicinity of the table, Evethire nodded to him, and began to rise from his seat. As the two guests made their way up to their rooms, Ëorlas stood up from the table and lended Aireon his hand to help her up from her seat. She gladly took his hand and smiled.

Evethire frowned, "Shall we proceed? I never said you had to come if you'd rather." He said turning towards the door.

“We shall take our leave with you my dear cousin.” Ëorlas said cheerfully without hesitation, as they followed Evethire out into the darkness of night. The air felt warmer than it had earlier that day, but the wind still hissed along the gray stony streets as they walked. An unusual quietness was lingering through the main road in which they walked. Only occasional dark figures would peer out of their alleyways to see whom the swift graceful footsteps belonged to. Ëorlas looked up into the dark sky to see the stars shinning, and undimmed by clouds.
“Echad- sen lend celeg,” Ëorlas whispered to himself, lowering his head.

"Do tell me of your past for I believe it is a great story,” Evethire muttered quietly to Aireon and Ëorlas as the trio strolled along the cobblestones.

Ëorlas smiled when his cousin asked of their travels. He was glad to re-tell their past and all the great adventures they had.
“Well.. there is much to be told our journeys, and not all can be said in a single night, but I shall give you the beginning, for it stands out the clearest in my mind. At least from my point of view.” He said, smiling. “I had been wandering the shores of Belfalas, for I wanted to see the havens that the Elves had recently departed of old. Every night I went to waters edge and slept. The moon looks very different in those lands, like a sliver coin hung in the sky, reflecting the starlight down into the Sea.” Ëorlas said, remembering the sight. “By the third night I began to see strange movements in the water, like splashing, but I soon forgot about that. There was a ship arriving, and it was headed to a nearby port so I decided to get a better look when it docked. That’s where I met my good friend Cael, and not long after making his acquaintance, m’lady Aireon came off the ship. As it turns out, it was Aireon making those splashes in the water…” he trailed off with a big smile spread across his face. “We will have many days ahead of us to speak of our travels.” Ëorlas said, as they approached their first destination.

They had reached a large weaponry shop, where Ëorlas bought Aireon a bow and two small daggers. He hoped she would never have to use them. After leaving a few more stores, they sat down for a while outside a tavern. Ëorlas studied Evethire as he held the riddle in his hands.
He murmured to them "I have been trying to make head nor tail of the riddle but it isn't as easy as I thought." then he recited:
There are hills of grey
skies of blue

"It may mean the Iron Hills because it talks of grey hills, I don’t really know. What do you think?" Evethire inquired.

“I would say that’s what it’s implying, if anything.” Ëorlas said, sitting up in his chair. “Moon-letters were made, and are used most commonly by dwarves. Many dwarves dwell the Iron Hills, ever since they were driven out of the Grey Mountains, even though the mountains have been reclaimed.” He said. “I think moon-letters, dwarves, and the Iron Hills are some kind of link.”

They discussed the riddle for much of the night. Dawn was approaching, and they started to head back to the inn. Ëorlas was not tried at all; he was too excited about the journey awaiting them, though he wasn’t entirely sure about their new comrades. Some others were outside already waiting, and they all greeted each other with warm smiles. Evethire went inside to find Altariel and to gather up anything else that bid useful. As Aireon and Ëorlas stood with the others, he spotted a group of people a good distance away on horseback. He suddenly remembered where he had left Arodas, the first stable on the right upon entering Minas Tirith. He would get him on the way out of the city, and he sure hoped he had a good nights rest.

[Edited on 29/1/2004 by CarolP]
elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 04:11
Alassë's mind noted vaguely that she was carried off the doorstep and inside the Inn. She feebly tried to push away from the person mumbling" My horse. I need to put her into a stable." The person chuckled, "If I were you I'd be more worried about yourself..."

Alassë groaned as she raised a hand to her head and her already pale face turned near chalk white when she saw her hand stained with her own blood. Another hand pulled her hand out of her vision and said, "Just take it easy. Rest. You've lost a lot of blood."To her tired mind and body it sounded like a nice idea and drifted back into a slightly uncomfortable sleep.

She blinked her eyes slowly as the blurr before her began to take shape before her. "Welcome back to the world of the living." She looked across the room at the person who had adrressed and replied," I thank you for helping me Sir. But I would appreciate being told where I am present. And the name of my saviour." She blushed lightly at her use of the last word and silently cursed herself.
Electra
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 02:07
(I am alive over here, really, I’ve just been busy. My lovely culminating essay is burning up all my brain power! Backtracking a wee bit too! Hi elvish_angel, Wonderful to see you!!!! GreenEyedElf GORGIOUS post!!! Sorry, but I thought you should know!!)

Taking Ëorlas’ hand smiling gladly, Aireon stood as Evethire spoke, already making their way to the doorway. Evethire frowned, "Shall we proceed? I never said you had to come if you'd rather." He said turning towards the door.

“We shall take our leave with you my dear cousin.” Ëorlas said cheerfully without hesitation, as they followed Evethire out into the darkness of night. Aireon laughed slightly but made no objection, for she was not tired, and spending more hours with her favorite friend was of no burden to her.

The air felt warmer than it had earlier that day, but the wind still hissed along the gray stony streets as they walked. An unusual quietness was lingering through the main road in which they walked. Only occasional dark figures would peer out of their alleyways to see whom the swift graceful footsteps belonged to. Catching a glimpse of Ëorlas gazing up at the star-strewn sky, Aireon turned her blue eyes to the dark sky. Feeling as if she could gaze for hours and still be excited by their beauty. A whispering word from Ëorlas drew her blue eyes to the earth once more. “Echad- sen lend celeg,” Ëorlas whispered to himself, lowering his head.

“Indeed, nín meldir,” Aireon whispered to Ëorlas, smiling up at him.

"Do tell me of your past for I believe it is a great story,” Evethire muttered quietly to Aireon and Ëorlas as the trio strolled along the cobblestones.

Ëorlas smiled when his cousin asked of their travels. He was glad to re-tell their past and all the great adventures they had.
“Well.. there is much to be told our journeys, and not all can be said in a single night, but I shall give you the beginning, for it stands out the clearest in my mind. At least from my point of view.” He said, smiling.

A large grin spread across Aireon’s face as he said this, trying her best not to laugh. “I had been wandering the shores of Belfalas, for I wanted to see the havens that the Elves had recently departed of old. Every night I went to waters edge and slept. The moon looks very different in those lands, like a sliver coin hung in the sky, reflecting the starlight down into the Sea.” Ëorlas said, remembering the sight. “By the third night I began to see strange movements in the water, like splashing, but I soon forgot about that. There was a ship arriving, and it was headed to a nearby port so I decided to get a better look when it docked. That’s where I met my good friend Cael, and not long after making his acquaintance, m’lady Aireon came off the ship. As it turns out, it was Aireon making those splashes in the water…” he trailed off with a big smile spread across his face. Pondering over the information Ëorlas gave his cousin, finding her to be the one making the splashes, she wondered if telling Evethire she was half-mermaid might put a damper on his thoughts of her loyalty, for mermaids were said to be evil sea-creatures who seduced men into the depths of their water. From her standings, mermaids were nothing of the sort, in her mind chiding the mermaid who gave them the bad reputation. “We will have many days ahead of us to speak of our travels.” Ëorlas said, as they approached their first destination.

Deciding best not to tell Evethire just yet. Entering the large weaponry shop, “You should have seen Ëorlas trying to teach me how to ride a horse, it would have been very amusing.” She joked, grinning at Ëorlas as they looked over the weapons. Stepping into the back room for a moment where her faithful friend worked diligently on a sword. “Oh hello Aireon, where are you off to now?” he asked, seeing her lift an old wooden chest onto a table. Opening the rusty clasp she threw off the covering. A large sword lay upon fine riding cloths. Picking up the sword gently, her bright blue eyes gazed at the unsheathed blade gleaming with a silver sheen by the firelight. Elven ruins in a bluish-silver were etched in the strong steel of the blade, rimmed at the edge of the hilt lay a thin teal lining, aligned with a dark green. A smile rose upon her crimson lips as she saw the two symbols intertwined with one another on the head of the hilt. One was meant for the strength of the sea, and the other the strength of the land. “So you’re finally going to use your father’s sword aye?” the man inquired eagerly. Aireon lovingly sheathed the blade and answered calmly, “No, this blade was meant for a man, not a woman.” “What?!” replied the blacksmith, his mouth gaping open in astonishment at her words, “But I thought being a girl made no difference to you,” he said bewildered. Taking up all the provisions left in the chest Aireon turned to the blacksmith with a smile, “It doesn’t.” Then walking in his small bathroom she changed quickly into the brown riding pants fitting snuggly to the curves of her hips, and a dark brown corset top tied down the front with red ribbon. Her delicate hands fingered a small jeweled necklace in the shape of a star, a smile curved at the tips of her lips at a new thought. Throwing the silky black cloak over her arm, she exited waving goodbye to her friend who was still sputtering in confusion. Finding Ëorlas and Evethire studying the scrip outside the tavern, she quickly sat beside them, placing the sword out of sight beneath the cloak. Ëorlas handed her two daggers he had bought her, “Just incase,” he told her softly with a kind smile. She thanked him greatly, attaching the daggers to the belt about her petit waist.

Both studied Evethire as he held the riddle in his hands.
He murmured to them "I have been trying to make head nor tail of the riddle but it isn't as easy as I thought." then he recited:
There are hills of grey
skies of blue
"It may mean the Iron Hills because it talks of grey hills, I don’t really know. What do you think?" Evethire inquired.

“I would say that’s what it’s implying, if anything.” Ëorlas said, sitting up in his chair. “Moon-letters were made, and are used most commonly by dwarves. Many dwarves dwell the Iron Hills, ever since they were driven out of the Grey Mountains, even though the mountains have been reclaimed.” He said. “I think moon-letters, dwarves, and the Iron Hills are some kind of link.” Aireon agreed, but her concentration was still bent on figuring out the answer to the riddle.

They discussed the riddle for much of the night. Dawn was approaching, and they started to head back to the inn. Feeling only glee for their journey ahead the thought of sleep never accrued to her, though unsure if the same qualified for their new comrades. Some others were outside already waiting, and they all greeted each other with warm smiles. Evethire went inside to find Altariel and to gather up anything else that bid useful. Turning to Ëorlas she spoke quietly a light shyness whisking over her expression, “Ëorlas, I want you to have this,” pulling the sword from beneath the covering of black cloak. Handing him the sword graciously as Evethire exited the Inn again heading towards them. Removing the elven necklace from about her neck Aireon placed the star shaped diamond in Ëorlas’ hand, “This is for good luck,” she added with a sweet smile, her blue eyes sparkling. Turning quickly toward Evethire Aireon asked joyfully, “Is everything set?”
Arwen_Undómiel22
Insane Insomniac
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 03:08
((Sorry for my lack of posting at the moment - too much studying to be done ))

As they returned to the others, Raen glanced up to see them walking over. Clearly they had spotted the maiden and were curious to know what was happening.

"Raen, what happened? Who is this?"

Raen's black eyes rested on Ari and he shrugged, "I have no idea. I just found her outside the inn."

Levi turned towards him and suggested, "Perhaps we should take her indoors where she may be tended to?"

Raen nodded and led the way. As they reached the door, he kicked it open and knocked everything off a table to clear for some space.

~~~~~~~~

As Levi walked inside the inn, he noticed that the maiden began to stir in his arms. He looked down at her with a cocked eyebrow and listened as she began to mumble.

" My horse. I need to put her into a stable."

Levi chuckled deeply and shook his head. "If I were you I'd be more worried about yourself..." he replied.

Carefully, he placed her down on the table that Raen had hurriedly thrown a blanket over. Turning to find the bartender he called out, "Hurry we need some bandages and healing herbs!" The bartender nodded and sped off in search of what was needed. "And some hot water!" Levi called after him.

When he turned back he spied the maiden groaning and raising her hand. Her face soon became even paler than it already was and Levi stepped forward and grasped her wrist, pulling her hand away where she could not see it. "Just take it easy. Rest. You've lost a lot of blood."

He watched as she drifted into oblivion and awaited the bartender's return. Glancing over at Raen he advised, "We really should take care of your wound properly here too if you don't want it to become contaminated."

Raen waved a hand dismissively at Levi and replied, "It is healed enough as it is. I do not permit anyone to heal my wounds to that extent."

Levi shrugged and with a shake of his head turned to see the bartender approaching him with the various things in his arms. Levi quickly ordered him to place them on the table they had pulled up beside the maiden. The bartender took one bewildered look at the maiden and quickly rushed to leave, but Raen grabbed his arm, "I would like some hot rum please mixed with whatever else you have here!"

The bartender left to fetch Raen's unusual drink as fast as he could, a horrified look on his face at the thought of concocting what he had been told. Raen put his feet up and lit his pipe, watching the others as they crowded around the maiden. Levi glanced over at him and called out humourously, "Is that all you can think about Raen? Relaxing?"

Raen grinned, "Well there are more than enough of you, I am no healer and besides - I cannot bend or move too much!" His eyes lit up as the bartender returned with a large tankard. He handed it shakily over to Raen and left before he could be given anymore difficult orders. Raen took a large swig and sighed happily.

~~~~~~~~~

Levi inspected the wound on the maiden's head fist while Ari tended to her torso. He could see that she had been given a hard blow to her head and he wouldn't be surprised if she suffered from concussion. She would have to be watched closely. Adding the herbs into the hot water, Levi soaked on of the clean cloths in it before applying it to her head. He glanced down at her face and saw that she was still sleeping, which was just as well because he knew that it would sting greatly.

Once he had divested her head of all the dirt and cleaned it out properly, he took the remaining herbs and began to make a poultice.

"Where did you learn all of this brother?"

Levi glanced briefly at Raen, "I had to spend several months impersonating a head healer some years ago. Being a head healer, I was meant to know what to do so I learnt through trial and error and whatever I did learn has always stayed with me," he answered.

He applied the poultice before raising her head and bandaging it gently but ensured that it was secure. Once he had done so, he repeated the same procedure with the wounds on her arms. He glanced over at Ari's work and once he was sure that all her wounds had been tended to, he sat in a chair and kept a close eye on her.

Some time later, he spied the maiden stirring. Rising, he waited to see if she had awakened. Just then, her eyes opened and she looked around her. Levi called out to her, "Welcome back to the world of the living." Walking over, he stood beside her and scanned over her bandages to see if they were alright.

"I thank you for helping me Sir. But I would appreciate being told where I am present. And the name of my saviour."

Levi flashed a grin at the maiden's words and replied affably, "You are currently in an inn in Minas Tirith. The name of your gallant knight in shining armour is Levi!" He teased. He gently helped her to sit upright, avoiding causing her any discomfort before continuing in his humorous personality, "And what might be the name of this damsel in distress?"

Raen grinned at his brother, glad to see that the menace had left his eyes completely, for now. He called over to them, "Levi don't be too hard on her. She has only awoken and could probably do without you taunting her! Allow her to get her bearings!"

Levi's grin broadened but he remained quiet. He stood back to give the maiden some space and watched her for any signs of concussion.

[Edited on 1/2/2004 by Arwen_Undómiel22]
elvish_angel015
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 11:40
"You are currently in an inn in Minas Tirith. The name of your gallant knight in shining armour is Levi!" He teased. He gently helped her to sit upright, avoiding causing her any discomfort before continuing in his humorous personality, "And what might be the name of this damsel in distress?"

Raen grinned at his brother, glad to see that the menace had left his eyes completely, for now. He called over to them, "Levi don't be too hard on her. She has only awoken and could probably do without you taunting her! Allow her to get her bearings!"

Alassë sighed Minas Tirith. She had been quite lost. Given that she had wanted to go to Fangorn. But she smiled, "Thank you Levi. I am Alassë Miallye."

She winced as he helped her sit upright. Those bandits had really done a number on her. She gingerly touched the bandages on her arms and head and bit back a groan that accompanied the sharp shooting pain.

She gave a small grateful smile to Raen who sat nursing his tankard. She started to get up by herself saying, "I am grateful for you help but I must be going." She stood upright shakily but as she took a few steps, she began to wobble a bit. She grabbed the table muttering, "Just as soon as I get the feeling back in my legs, I'll be out of your way." To settle a score with those bandits, she thought to herself grimly.
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 11:18
"I am grateful for you help but I must be going. Just as soon as I get the feeling back in my legs, I'll be out of your way."

"Now wait just one minute here," Ari said as she walked in the door over to where Levi and the girl were. "I leave for one minute, and already you two have her wanting to leave? And you," she said, looking at the girl,"I don't think it would a good idea for you to be going anywhere for a few days. Just sit a while, give those wounds some time to heal. You've been hurt pretty bad. No sense in letting these get any worse."

She saw Raen out of the corner of her eye throwing back a tankard full of some other strange brew of his. She grimaced as he pushed another cup towards her, and made a face before looking back at Levi helping the girl stand up. Looking closer, Ari saw that she was an elf, as she herself was.

Ari slid into another chair at the same table as Raen, giving him a look as he blew out pipe smoke. He didn't seem to notice, and went on merrily drinking. She choked as she took a small sip, and then just put it back on the table.

"Raen," she said, getting his attention before she went on speaking, "I expect this inn to be just as we found it when we do leave. That poor man was more than helpful to you, and I want you to know that we're not touching this one."

((Sorry it's so short, kind of at a loss as to what to say. I'll try to post some more soon!))

[Edited on 1/2/2004 by CarolP]

[Edited on 1/2/2004 by CarolP]
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email